Jump to content
    JamesSavik
  • Author
  • 463 Words
  • 2,351 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2010 - Summer - Out of this World Entry

Carbon Based!? - 1. Carbon Based!?

 

Carbon Based!?

By James Savik

 

"They are carbon based."

"Carbon based? How does that even work?"

"It works for them."

"That’s so weird."

"Yeah they’re evolved for an oxygen-nitrogen atmosphere, can only exist in a narrow band of temperatures, need water, the whole works."

"That can’t possibly last. How stable is their star system?"

"They lucked out there. Their sun is a G7 dwarf and their system has four gas giants in their outer solar system that deflect most comets and asteroids."

"Where are they on the standard scale?"

"It’s a fractured R7 class civilization."

"They are just advanced enough to be dangerous... to themselves"

"It gets better. They use fossil fuels and nuclear fission."

"I guess that tracks since they are carbon based but the environmental consequences have got to be taking their toll."

"They’ve come a long way very fast. The report says they were just learning to bang rocks together the last time we surveyed this sector."

"When you say fractured, what do you mean?"

"Their society isn’t unified. It’s divided into nation states that constantly jockey for position and even war against each other."

"And they are all the same species?"

"Yeah. Imagine that."

"That’s frightening. Fission technology, hydro-carbon pollution; they have to be insane."

"Our observation probe has even recorded fusion explosions."

"They must be insane."

"So what do you think about contact?"

"No way. They are still far too primitive. If they managed to get their hands on some real technology they would be exceptionally dangerous. If they can’t get along with each other, what do you suppose would happen if they met the Shindarans or, Maker-forbid, the Taurons."

"That would not be pretty."

"Agreed. We’ll reevaluate contact the next time we survey this sector assuming that they’re still here."

"I hope they make it."

"Why? They are just another primitive culture. Ugh… they’re even related to Simians."

"Have you heard their music?"

"No. Is it good?"

"Listen to this. It’s by one of their masters. I think his name was Hendrix."

Strange beautiful grass of green,
With your majestic silver seas
Your mysterious mountains I wish to see closer
May I land my kinky machine

Although your world wonders me,
With your majestic and superior cackling hen
Your people I do not understand,
So to you I shall put an end
And you'll
Never hear
Surf music again

"So they know."

"Yeah. They know. It’s so bizarre: a species capable of such insight and ignorance all at the same time."

"I hope they make it. They sure won’t be boring."

"You know that in all probability they won’t."

"Maybe not but stranger things have happened."

 

© 2010 James Savik

Lyrics taken from Jimi Hendrix’s Third Rock from the Sun.

Story Discussion

Copyright © 2010 jamessavik; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 2
  • Haha 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2010 - Summer - Out of this World Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Yay!!! I love it! "That’s frightening. Fission technology, hydro-carbon pollution; they have to be insane."

Indeed, indeed. And then the twist with the Hendrix words.... we know we're insane but go on doing it...

Thanks you've made my day. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 8/27/2013 at 12:00 AM, Stephen ODonohue said:

Fun(I don't usually read short or flash fiction... I might have to rethink). Ta lots James, you left me smiling.

Stephen

@JamesSavik is one of the few masters of short and/or flash fiction.  There is one other who can equal him, but not as consistently.  As he is currently taking a temporary hiatus from writing, I won't mention him further at this time, except to say that he had one flash story of only 11 words.

  • Wow 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..