Jump to content
    JamesSavik
  • Author
  • 9,096 Words
  • 430 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Initiation Weekend - 1. Initiation Weekend

Initiation Weekend

 

 

 

May

 

A radio in the senior parking lot blared Alice Cooper’s Schools Out for the Summer. It was the seniors' last day. Per tradition, the guard changed at eleven o’clock sharp on the Wednesday before finals. The graduating seniors were done. They got in their vehicles, fired up their engines, and left school for the last time as students.

When the last senior’s truck pulled out, the new seniors took possession of the primo parking spaces in the senior parking lot. They had a short, exuberant, rather noisy class meeting and returned to class to review for finals. With that nuisance out of the way on Thursday and Friday, the summer could start in earnest for the new senior class.

 

 

Friday morning started out wet, thanks to a late-night thunderstorm, but the sun was out, and the temperatures were around eighty. Everyone took their finals, and by noon, the newly minted seniors met in their new parking lot.

They split into two groups, the boys sitting on a line of truck tailgates and the girls in a clump just across the lot. They stood expectantly, and their class president, Jeremy Lewis, yelled, “Are you ready for Initiation Weekend?”

Whoops and cheers erupted. Everybody was excited about the end of school and the big party to come.

Jeremy Lewis said, “OK, everybody, tonight is the start of Initiation Weekend. You all know the rules. Remember, no cellphones, and we aren’t hazing anybody.”

There were boos and catcalls, Jeremy responded, “The rule is everybody has fun. Entertainment committee, is everything on track?”

Several boys and girls gave thumbs up.

Shaggy, known for his unruly locks and a penchant for weed, wisecracked, “Wait, what? You mean that thing’s tonight?”

Shaggy got some laughs, and Jeremy responded dryly, “Yes, Shaggy. That thing is tonight. Remember to bring the stuff on your lists. I’ll see you guys at Hanna’s.”

After a roar of approval, the new senior class mounted up and got to their preparations.

 

 

At six, parents began to arrive with the incoming freshmen and their bags at the Jones family farm. The big farm had over three hundred fifty acres, and another in a long string of legendary pasture parties was on. While not everyone chose to participate, all the cool kids did.

Hanna Jones and Jeremy Lewis met the freshmen and got them settled down.

Jeremy said, “We’re going to split up. Girls, Hannah will show you to your campground. Boys, follow me. We’ll get back together for breakfast tomorrow.”

Then, the incoming freshmen got on two trailers loaded with hay and were pulled by tractors for a hayride to their respective camps.

 

 

Once aboard, LJ Grant told his friends, Rowdy Yates and Travis Raines, “This isn’t what I expected. Everybody’s parents are here.”

Travis replied, “They’ll leave after supper. There’s a long history behind this. Back in the late sixties, two graduating seniors and a junior got killed while driving drunk. That hurt a lot in a place like this where everybody knows everybody. The parents banded together and started Initiation Weekend. There will be parties at the end of school. There’s no stopping that. This way, the party happens, but everybody keeps a lid on it. Since then, we haven't lost even the dumbest kid.”

Rowdy said with a crooked grin, “I guess I’m safe then.”

Travis elbowed him, saying, “Your lowest grade this semester was a B, so you aren’t as dumb as you would like us to think.”

Rowdy said quietly, “Thanks, Travis. It’s cool having you in my corner.”

“Shush,” Travis said in a mischievous whisper. “That’s what boyfriends are supposed to be good for. Now, let’s not scare the rest of the children.”

LJ laughed at their antics and said, “There’s more to it.”

Travis sighed, “Yeah, back in the seventies, they almost abolished Initiation Weekend because some seniors were a-holes and got everybody in trouble over hazing. It’s been reformed, and now alumni are chaperones.”

“Sounds risky,” Rowdy deadpanned. “Remind me why are we doing this again?”

“One of my uncles is a chaperone, and we have friends among the upperclassmen now,” LJ said confidently.

Willie Green turned around and said, “What are you white boys worried about? Dave has our back.”

Rowdy laughed and said, “That’s what I’m afraid of. Dave is cool, but we’ve been pranking each other since we were little.”

Willie said, “Dave will prank you, but I ain’t scared. It’s always funny or good-natured.”

Travis said, “Rowdy, tell them about Dave’s gag with your skin mags.”

Rowdy blushed, burst into laughter, and covered his face. “God, Travis. That one…” Rowdy interrupted himself, laughing. “You tell it, I can’t even think about it without cracking up.”

Travis took over the story, “You know that sticky stuff used on junk mail? Sometimes, they use it for store packaging, too. David must have collected that gummy, sticky stuff for months. He knows where Rowdy keeps his porn. One day, David got to Rowdy’s porn stash and put that stuff all over his favorite magazine.”

Rowdy said, “One night when I needed uhh… inspiration and grabbed one.” He covered his face laughing, “It was so, ewww… sticky. I tried to drop it, and it stuck to me. It was so… HAHAHA… so gross! I had to shake my hand to get it off me like a booger.”

 

 

They were still laughing when the hayride cleared the trees, and they could see a large field on the edge of a clear-running but cold stream filled with rocks and sand. A line of trucks belonging to the new seniors was parked across from a line of four big tents. Rocks bordered the bonfire to keep it from spreading. There was a line of grills and smokers.

Just through the woods was a big hunting lodge built on stilts to protect it from flooding. A half-court basketball court was behind the lodge, and of course, their friend David King was playing shirts and skins with other upperclassmen.

Finally, the hayride stopped. The newly minted freshman class gathered in a clump under a big oak tree. One of the Jones boys turned the tractor around and drove it back toward the barn on the other side of the property.

A big guy built much like the Oak Tree he was standing under spoke up and said, “I’m Silas Grant, Class of ‘10.”

LJ yelled, “What’s up, Uncle Silas!”

He grinned and said, “Quiet, nephew. I’m the senior chaperone. We’re here to make sure no ruffians botch up our fine traditions. There are six of us plus some helpers; we're all alumni and will stay in the lodge.”

“We’re not here to ruin anybody's fun. It’s fun to blow off steam, and now is the time for it. We’ll be going to bed a little after eleven. If you need us, call us. Otherwise, y’all have fun and remember to play nice. Deputy Sheriff King and his wife will be at the Jones house all weekend, just in case, and we wouldn’t want to bother them.”

There was plenty of fun to be had. The upperclassmen had done Initiation Weekend up right. Awesome smells from all those grills and smokers. Kids were cooking, playing games, and disappearing into the woods in pairs and small groups.

LJ, Rowdy, Willie, and Travis grazed for snacks and got a look at the numerous racks of ribs in the smokers. All manner of side dishes were set up, and food was brought in by parents, too. Willie Green’s dad was the pit master. His barbecue place on the highway was always packed.

Deputy Sheriff David King Senior was there working with the grill and smoker team. LJ greeted his dad. Big Jim Grant wore a big apron as he slathered sauce on the ribs. Since Christmas, LJ was over an inch taller, had filled out, and Big Jim had graduated from a walker to a cane.

When the basketball game ended, David King returned to the camp. He socialized with his friends and their families and grazed on chips and homemade salsa until he felt his dad’s hand on his shoulder.

“David, let’s take a walk.”

He looked around and saw Rowdy, LJ, Travis, Willie, and all their parents.

“What’s up, sir?”

David King, the elder, began walking toward a trail and said, “Some folks would like to show you their appreciation.”

Mr. Yates said, “There were times with Rowdy when you were the difference between his mom and me surviving or being taken away by men in white suits with butterfly nets.”

Big Jim Grant said, “LJ has grown up a lot since we met Christmas. You’ve been a big part of that.”

Ms. Rivers said, “We’ve never had to worry about where our boys are. You have always looked out for them and weren’t far away.”

David’s dad led them beside the dirt access road and said, “I’ve felt bad since you got stuck at school and had to walk home through that ice storm. That’s not going to be a problem anymore.”

Big Jim Grant said, “David, you are a rare sort who appears to be good for everybody. Good guys don’t always finish last.”

A Cobalt blue Toyota 4-by-4 came up the dirt road with David’s mother driving. She parked it, got out, and said, “What do you think, David?”

David blinked at the impossibility of getting a truck as a junior. It wasn’t brand new, but it was beautiful. “Did you… Get rid of your Camry, Mom?”

Rowdy said, “And you think I’m dense sometimes. David, Mr. Good Guy, that’s your new ride!”

David stood there with his mouth open, stunned. He was vaguely aware of being hugged and babbled, “I’ve got a truck!”

David Senior said, “Sunday when it’s all over, you’ll drive home in this. It’ll be parked by the Jones house. We’ll stay at the Jones house for the weekend if somebody needs a cop or a paramedic. We’ll see you tomorrow at breakfast.”

The parents loaded up in the truck, with a few sitting in the truck's bed, and trundled back to the main house. David followed his pals back to the party.

Rowdy asked, “We know you will prank us, bro. What did you do?”

“The seniors are running this show. There’s nothing much I could do,” David objected. “Besides, I’m still flying. I’ve got a truck!”

LJ poked David and said, “Earth to cloud nine. It would be out of character for you not to do something to make this more interesting.”

David said, “OK, OK, you got me. Later tonight, you will be teamed up with a senior. I might have gotten you guys connected with the right seniors.”

Rowdy asked, “What do you mean by the right seniors?”

David said, “The ones I know who will be cool, and you’ll teach each other something.”

As one, LJ, Rowdy, Travis, and Willie demanded to know which seniors would be their partners.

David shook his head and said, “It’ll be a surprise, but I promise none of them will be a jackass. They are all friends I know well. You’ll have a blast.”

There was a strange noise from back toward the camp, and their group looked mystified.

Rowdy said, “It sounds like the Riders of Rohan are arriving.”

Then a cowbell rang, and someone yelled, “Come and get it!”

The boys didn’t need any further encouragement. As one, they returned to the camp.

 

 

In the short time they had been absent, folding tables and chairs were erected for the big picnic, and the serious business of a feast was about to begin. The strange sound they heard was one of the alumni/chaperones blowing a Ram’s horn like a Viking. Odd, but cool.

 

 

 

The feast was spectacular. Ribs, burgers, and hotdogs were just a start. Someone had made a big pot of gumbo and another of jambalaya. Sides and fixings were also plentiful. The table holding the desserts looked happily fattening.

As the meal was winding down, the Freshmen and Seniors gave out awards. The official awards banquet night, where athletic and academic awards were presented, had been several weeks before. This one was unofficial.

It started with the chaperones handing out boxes with their name on them and being told to open them. When instructed, they were told to open their packages and save the envelope inside. Inside was a very nice T-shirt with a snarling wildcat in sky blue and red, their school colors. There was also an envelope with his name and instructions: put on your T-shirt and don’t open the envelope until instructed.

This award ceremony was unofficial, and their peers gave the awards. Most of them were gags, of course, but some were awarded that meant more than any shiny trophy.

LJ Grant got the freshman class favorite at the awards night. When his Uncle Silas called him to the table, he was shocked when Rebel Wright stood there.

Rebel Wright had been someone LJ feared in the fall. He had turned out to be more dumb and troubled than seriously malicious.

“I was an asshole to everybody this fall,” Rebel said. “Until my friends jerked me up short and told me not to take out my anger over my parent's divorce on other kids. I’m sorry to everybody I showed my ass to, and especially to LJ. He didn’t just forgive me; he took me home, fed me his dad’s cooking, and beat my ass black and blue at Madden.”

There were howls of laughter, and Rebel continued, “It’s my pleasure to present LJ with our best new friend award on behalf of at least half the class.”

LJ took the certificate and saw it had been signed by eighteen of the twenty-seven freshman class members. Suddenly, it felt like tears were coming, but he managed to hold it together. What a difference a season makes.

Rowdy got an award for most fun.

Travis got an award from the girl's camp: cutest freshman boy.

Willie was delighted when his football teammates gave him the award for most painful to tackle, which went neatly with the most improved player and most improved academically awards he received during the formal Awards Banquet.

Everyone enjoyed stuffing themselves, and by dark, the few remaining parents, with plenty of support from the kids, cleaned up, put everything away, and departed. Soon, everyone but the seniors, freshmen, and chaperones departed.

 

 

Silas Grant rang a cowbell, and the freshmen and seniors all gathered. Speaking loudly to be heard, he said, “OK, gentlemen. Your Initiation Weekend starts now. It changes every year, and this year’s theme is teamwork. Freshmen: Your partner is in your envelope. In the senior’s envelope is a list of your challenges. Your peers know you, and they try to decide who would be good matches. Chaperones take your stations. Freshmen, form a line.”

One by one, the freshmen opened their envelopes and partnered with their seniors.

Travis was the closest and paired with Wayne Yelverton, a big, black-haired player on the high school football team. They had seen each other around, so they weren’t complete strangers, but they didn’t know each other well. They were hustled to the first tent.

In the first big tent, one of the chaperones handed them a two-man tent; they picked up their overnight bags, which were stored there, and were hustled to the next big tent.

At their second stop, they discovered why they would need teamwork. A chaperone put a handcuff on the senior's right hand and connected it to the freshman’s left hand. As soon as they were done, they were hustled to another tent.

In the last tent, they were given a flashlight, and a helper with a stopwatch followed. He explained that their first challenge would be to pitch their tent. The chaperone would time how long it took. Travis and Wayne took off from the third tent and picked a spot to pitch their tent. It was profoundly awkward. Having the only unencumbered right hand, Travis drove in tent stakes and other chores that took dexterity. Their time was five minutes and twenty seconds.

 

 

Rowdy Yates was paired up with Richard “please don’t call me Dick” Rials, a.k.a. Ricky or Shaggy. They rushed through the big tents, handed a tent, handcuffed, and sent with a chaperone to set it up. Neither owned any merit badges, but the instructions were inside a tent flap. They managed the exercise in about seven minutes.

 

 

RJ’s partner was Tommy Johnson. He had been a wide receiver on the football team, had to have knee surgery, and was only recently off crutches. They went through the big tents, got their two-man tent and overnight bags, were handcuffed, and sent to set up their tent. They got the tent up in three minutes and twenty seconds. Tommy was left-handed, so their team had an edge.

 

 

Willie Green’s partner was DeSean Williams, who played basketball and linebacker on the football team. Willie knew DeSean’s older brother Tyrone played college basketball for Auburn, and DeSean might be better. They ran through the three tents, sighed mentally at the silliness, and got their tent up in four minutes. When the tents were up, they were called back to camp, and the games began.

The teams played numerous games everyone would recognize, like a fifty-yard race, tug-of-war, and baton races. The committee had designed the challenges to force the handcuffed pair to cooperate very closely. Rowdy and Shaggy’s task was to change the oil in one of the trucks.

RJ and Tommy had to tear down a stereo system in the lodge, move it, reconnect it, and put on a provided CD.

None of the tasks were especially difficult, but extremely awkward for people who were handcuffed together. The seniors were frustrated by having their right hands encumbered by the cuffs, and the freshman had to do most of the required fine manipulation.

All the teams finished around ten thirty, and points were counted. RJ and Tommy were in the lead overall based on Tommy’s left-handedness. Rowdy and Shaggy surprised everybody by coming in third overall. Willie and DeSean were tied for third, followed by Travis and Wayne, who were tied for fifth.

After eleven, the chaperones retreated to the lodge, leaving the teams handcuffed. It was time for the real party to begin, but it was awkward.

Donny Pressly had a Pony keg on ice in the back of his truck. Seniors who wouldn’t think twice about having a beer had second thoughts with a freshman attached.

 

 

Rowdy & Shaggy

 

Shaggy laughed and said, “Apparently, the teamwork lessons aren’t done yet.”

Rowdy asked, “You want a beer?”

“No, but you can get one if you like,” Shaggy said. “There are other things here that taste better.”

Rowdy liked the sound of that and followed Shaggy to another truck with a cooler in the back, where Tony Devino was standing handcuffed to Rebel Wright.

Shaggy introduced Rowdy, “Tony, my partner here is Rowdy.”

Rowdy laughed. Someone had a sense of humor. Tony wouldn’t put up with Rebel’s shit, and he expected them to get along like a pair of angry tomcats.

Still laughing, Rowdy said, “Tony, you got Rebel?”

Tony grinned, kissed Rebel’s cheek, and said, “Rebel is a paisano now.”

Rebel sputtered, “Eww, eww, eew! WHOP cooties.”

Tony pulled a cold bottle from the ice chest and said, “Behave, Rebel.” He poured dark liquid into a red cup, “…or you’ll get thirsty.”

Taking the cup from Tony, Shaggy said, “That’ll tame your freshman.”

Tony poured a cup, handed it to Rowdy, and said, “Your freshman is doing well at the games.”

Shaggy laughed, “Rowdy’s been better at this than me.”

When Rebel had his cup, Tony raised his and said, “Here’s to new friends and summer.”

Everyone agreed with the sentiment and had a sip.

Rebel said, “Oh man! This is so good. What is it?”

“It’s sangria,” Tony said. “It’s popular at parties and tastes a lot better than beer. Just respect it, or it will bite you.”

Rowdy said, “I’ll say. It tastes good, but you can feel the horsepower.”

Rebel leaned in close and whispered in Rowdy’s ear, “LJ said we hafta give our senior a blow job. Is that true?”

Trying desperately not to burst out laughing, Rowdy looked Rebel in the eye solemnly and nodded.

Rebel took a slug of his drink and said, “I’m going to need more of this.”

 

 

Travis and Wayne

 

Travis said, “I was in your mom’s class in 2nd grade.”

“She liked you, which makes this really awkward,” Wayne grinned. “How am I supposed to have a beer with my mom’s favorite 2nd grader?”

“I grew up. Well, sorta.”

Wayne laughed and said, “Don’t sell yourself short, Travis. You’ve grown up quite a bit, especially over the last year. The girls noticed, and so has everybody else.”

Travis blushed at the praise and said, “Thanks, Wayne. Having friends has made the difference.”

“Being a few doors from Mr. Grant’s kitchen hasn’t hurt.”

“It hasn’t, but LJ, Rowdy, Willie, and Dave are what really did the trick. I live with my mom and used to come home to an empty house. She has a long commute to Germantown, and dad split when I was in kindergarten. I know I’m not the only kid in school whose parents are divorced, but it’s never good. Mr. Grant took me under his wing.”

Wayne said, “You aren’t the only one. You and David weren’t exactly in the same boat, but with his dad being a cop and his mom being a paramedic, he was seriously lonely. He is so much better now than he was before Christmas.”

“I didn’t know that about him. He’s always been so nice…”

Wayne said, “David is a personality type called a people pleaser. It works for him, but understand, kids get that way because they miss attention. I figured him out when he was your age and tried to include him in stuff. He’s come a long way.”

“How did you know that?” Travis asked. “It makes sense now that you said it, but I would never have thought that.”

Wayne sighed and said, “My dad drank too much when I was little. He’s been sober for almost five years now, but we had some rough patches. Mom and I went to Alanon and Alateen. That taught me a lot about what makes people tick. To tell the truth, I used to be that way, but I was never as good at it as David.”

Travis said, “That was happening when I was in your mom’s class?”

“Yes, it was,” Wayne replied in a tone of regret. “I’ve got an older brother and sister, but they graduated and were gone by the time I was in fourth grade, and with dad drinking, I didn’t see much of them. I truly hated being the youngest with all the chaos that was going on. There’s a reason you saw a lot of me when you were in my mom’s class. I wished… you were my little brother, minus the chaos, of course.”

“So, will you have a beer with your little brother?”

Wayne reached around with his left hand and clapped Travis on the shoulder. “Sure, Travis, but I always stop at one. After seeing what Dad went through, I don’t push my luck.”

__________________________________________

 

 

Willie and DeSean

 

Willie and DeSean got a beer and sat down on a bench. After they had relieved their thirst, DeSean said, “There’s something I’ve been wanting to ask you. Why do you hang out with those white boys?”

“I was going to fail until Pops introduced me to LJ. They live in my hood, and they’re really smart. I wouldn’t have made it this year if they hadn’t helped. We got together after school every day, did homework, played video games, and Mr. Grant cooked.”

DeSean mimicked Homer Simpson, “MMM… Mr. Grant’s cooking.”

Willie laughed and said, “Yeah, it’s great. I’ve gained ten pounds.”

“They don’t treat you… different?”

“They aren’t like that,” Willie replied. “There were some real pricks where we used to live. LJ, Rowdy, and Travis treat everybody the same. I think it's because of Dave.”

DeSean smiled and said, “Probably. I didn’t know what to think of Dave until I figured out he was for real. He did the same thing for me in algebra in junior high.”

“Really?”

“Really. If you can’t pass, you can’t play. I only asked because I know some guys might give you a hard time having white friends, but always remember: it's about the content of character. Now, let’s go find Terell and smoke this blunt.”

 

 

 

LJ & Tommy

 

LJ noticed that Tommy was limping and looked tired. Concerned, he asked, “Tommy, are you all right?”

“I’m just tired. I’ve only been off crutches for a few weeks, and it’s been a long day. Could we sit down?”

LJ said, “Lean on me. Let’s get a drink and find us somewhere to hang out.”

Tommy agreed, and LJ helped bear some of his weight. Instead of heading to the pony keg, they joined Tony Devino and Rebel Wright, sitting on the tailgate of Tony’s truck. Rebel was well into his cups and gave them a warm, silly smile when they approached.

“How are you doing, Tommy?” Tony greeted him warmly. “You look a lot better without crutches.”

Rebel gushed, “You lucked out getting LJ as a partner.” Then, Rebel gave LJ a clumsy, one-armed bro hug.

Amused by the tipsy freshman, Tommy grinned and said, “Yeah, he’s cool. I’m tired and wishing for a crutch, but LJ is helping.”

Tony poured sangria into two red cups, said, “Here, try this,” and stood. “Take a load off, Tommy.”

Tommy gratefully took a seat on the tailgate and took a sip.

When Tommy sat, the angry red scars and dots of surgery were clearly visible, crisscrossing his right knee even in the low light of the camp lanterns.

LJ said, “Whoa. I hadn’t seen that before, Tommy.”

Tommy reached over and bumped Tony on the shoulder. “If you ever want to find out who the good guys are, show up at school on crutches. It suuuucks.”

Rebel asked, “Does it still hurt?”

Tommy shrugged and said, “It gets sore and makes me tired sometimes. I was in a cast for six weeks, then crutches and a brace I’m sick of.”

Tony asked gently, “A brace you should probably still be wearing?”

Tommy said, with an air of exhaustion, “Probably. I’m just so tired of this damned knee. I’ve been hobbling around on it since October. It seems like it will never end.”

Tony asked, “Where will you two be?”

Tommy looked at LJ, who said, “We’ll go to our tent and lay down for a while. Tommy needs a break, and it’s been a long day for me, too.”

 

 

Willie and DeSean

 

DeSean spotted Tommy and LJ heading to their tent and said, “Are you guys calling it early?”

Tommy replied, “I need to rest my knee for a bit. We’ll be back.”

“I’ve got a blunt. Do you want us to wait for you?” DeSean asked.

Tommy sighed and said, “I appreciate the offer, but y’all go ahead.”

Willie said, “Hope we’ll see you guys later.”

As they approached the stream, Willie said, “I heard Tommy got his knee messed up bad.”

DeSean said, “It happened in a game last October and was ugly. Tommy is fast and can catch, but isn’t built for football. His dad pushed him into it. Many kids play sports for the wrong reasons. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it ends badly.”

Willie said, “I thought Tommy was a straight arrow. I didn’t know he smoked.”

“He didn’t before he blew out his knee. They had him on some potent painkillers and then abruptly took him off them and told him Tylenol should do. I worry about him. Tommy is a good kid, but constant pain can work on your nerves.”

 

 

Tommy and LJ

 

The two boys settled into their tent. It was not an insubstantial feat, with the handcuffs constraining their movements.

Lying on their sides, LJ said, “I didn’t know you smoked weed.”

Tommy grinned ruefully and said, “Before my knee exploded, I wouldn’t have touched the stuff. Sometimes it helps.”

LJ pulled a little tube out of his pocket, handed it to Tommy, and said, “You won’t miss out.”

Tommy looked at it and grinned. It was a nice, fat, pre-rolled joint with a label across the side he couldn’t read in the dark.

“It’s good. It’s Northern Lights,” LJ enthused.

“Aren’t you friends with David?” Tommy asked. “I know he doesn’t approve of drugs.”

LJ replied, “Real drugs, no. Dave would blow a gasket if anyone showed up with pills, coke, or meth. He doesn’t like pot much, but he doesn’t get too bent out of shape about it if we don’t smoke all the time. It’s just for special occasions. Dave’s more comfortable with a beer, but I hate getting all bloated and needing to piss all the time.”

Tommy laughed and said, “Yeah, me too. I was pretty tight with David when we were your age. He’s a great guy.”

“What happened?” LJ asked.

“My dad, as usual,” Tommy said with a growl of disgust. “I loved my grandfather. We were closer than I am with my dad. Gramps was a lot more chill than Dad is. When he died, I was broken up about it.”

“Dad saw David hug me at the funeral. He didn’t say anything until we got home, and he just snapped. He slapped me hard and accused me of being queer for David, and forbade me from hanging out with him. My dad is just such an asshole about stuff like that. I shouldn’t have been playing football. I should have run track, but no, he wouldn’t have it.” Tommy’s voice choked with a sob, “I can’t do anything to please him.”

LJ put his arm around Tommy, and he winced in obvious pain.

Fearing the worst, he asked gently, “Tommy, does your dad hurt you?”

 

 

 

 

Travis & Wayne

 

After having a single beer, they wandered away from camp and noticed a faint glow through the trees.

Travis asked, “What is that?”

“There are a bunch of campsites out here. It’s probably where the Juniors and Sophomores are, or maybe one of the girls' camps,” Wayne replied.

Travis asked, “Want to get a better look?”

Having been to numerous functions on the Jones land, Wayne knew exactly what was through the trees. He said casually, “Sure. Why not? You’ll get the lay of the land.”

They found a trail and followed it through the pines and cedar trees.

Travis asked, “What’s that sizzling sound?”

Wayne whispered, “Shush! We’re not supposed to visit the other camps tonight.”

When they moved a little further through the bushy cedars, they could see an outdoor shower attached to a restroom for the camp. Two of the handcuffed senior-freshmen pairs of girls were showering naked, talking and laughing not very far away through the brush.

Wayne was rooted to the spot, seemingly mesmerized at the sight. While Angie Franklin wasn’t much to look at, Jennifer Carlson, Rachel Lee, and Mona Clark certainly were.

The view certainly affected Wayne, as his gym shorts quickly resembled a circus tent. Unconsciously, Wayne’s right hand went to his growing erection and drew Travis’s left hand with it.

Travis quietly cleared his throat, and Wayne whispered sheepishly, “Sorry.”

The presence of the big, handsome older boy was having a similar effect on Travis.

Angie and Jennifer were done, turned off their showers, dried off, wrapped towels around their unmentionables, and returned to camp. This left Rachel and Mona alone, who promptly put body wash over their breasts, which made Wayne drool like a hound, smelling bacon.

Despite his hypnosis, Travis got his attention long enough to see someone coming from the girls’ camp with a flashlight. Much to Travis’s relief and Wayne’s regret, they withdrew the way they came.

 

 

Rowdy and Shaggy, Willie and DeSean

 

Just outside camp, the four boys fired up the nice, fat blunt DeSean provided. As they passed it around, Shaggy pronounced it skunky.

They sat around laughing and joking for a while, and then returned to camp to graze for snacks.

 

 

LJ and Tommy

 

LJ and Tommy lay side by side in their tent, talking. Despite the age difference, Tommy found LJ easy to like and talk to.

Tommy had never talked to anyone about his father’s mercurial temper, often leaving him black and blue over the pettiest matters. Talking about it was like breaking a dam, and he was astonished to find himself sharing his troubles with an astonishing freshman. This wasn’t just any freshman. He could feel David’s influence in LJ.

LJ finally said, “Tommy, this is serious. He could kill you if he’s losing control like you’ve described.”

Tommy shrugged in the dark tent, “All I have to do is graduate, and then I’ll be free.”

“You deserve better.”

Both boys heard the growl of a four-wheeler approaching, and LJ said, “It’s after midnight. I wonder who that could be.”

The four-wheeler stopped, and they could hear voices back toward the main camp. Then, it started again and came to a stop outside.

The two boys gave each other a puzzled look, helped each other get up, and went outside.

Mrs. King was taking off her helmet and stepping off the four-wheeler.

LJ said, “Hi, Mrs. K. What are you doing out here?”

She saw them and said cheerily, “I heard Tommy’s knee was bothering him, so I came out to check on him.”

Tommy blushed and said, “I just got tired. A lot was going on today.”

Mrs. King gestured for him to sit on the four-wheeler and said, “Here. Let me take a look.”

Tommy sat on the ATV’s seat, and Mrs. King examined his knee. She said, “I think you’re right. You’ve overdone it today, and it’s a little swollen. I will give you an anti-inflammatory, and you should be fine by morning. Oh, I brought you this just in case.”

She reached over the ATV, retrieved a crutch, and handed it to Tommy. Then she got her big orange bag off the back, rummaged in it, and asked, “Have you had anything to drink tonight?”

Tommy blushed and said, “Just a cup of sangria.”

Mrs. King chuckled, handed Tommy a pill and water bottle, and said, “This won’t kill you, but you’ll get very sleepy in a while.”

“How did you know I needed this,” Tommy asked, lifting the crutch.

“You’ve got plenty of friends out here, and I’ve missed you,” Mrs. King said and put a friendly hand on Tommy’s back. She noticed his involuntary wince when she did.

“Tommy, are you hurt?”

Tommy looked like a deer in the headlights. He knew David’s mom for over a decade, and she was a formidable woman. She wouldn’t leave it alone.

LJ put his free hand on Tommy’s arm and said, “Let her look at it. She can help.”

She used her flashlight, pulled up Tommy’s shirt, and gasped at the whelps crisscrossing his back. In a voice that carried a distinct growl, she said, “Did your father do this?”

Tommy was clearly paralyzed by fear. Tears rolled down his face.

Mrs. King said, “I wondered about the falling out between you and my David. He moped around for months. Then I figured it out. David had a broken heart. Is that why your father is abusing you?”

Tommy couldn’t answer. All his dirtiest laundry was out on the line for everyone to see.

Mrs. King and LJ both hugged him gently to avoid any further harm, and she said, “It’s OK, Tommy. Trust us, we’re going to help. I’m fond of both boys who love my David. They obviously have good taste.”

LJ said, “You know?”

Mrs. King replied, “Of course I know. I’m his mother, and I could hardly miss how much he’s changed since he met you.”

“You never said anything,” LJ protested.

“When it comes to matters of the heart, mothers shouldn’t stick their oar in uninvited. When David is ready, we’ll talk and not before, understood?”

Both boys replied, “Yes, mam.”

 

 

Shaggy and Rowdy

 

After enjoying a slice of pie, Shaggy said, “I love smoking weed, but I’m going to have to quit.”

“Why? It’s not illegal anymore,” Rowdy protested.

Shaggy said seriously, “No, but any decent employer drug tests. Worse stuff gets out of your system quickly, but weed lingers and can be detected for six to eight weeks. I want a gig as a big-rig driver, and they drug-test the same day you get interviewed.”

“That sucks,” Rowdy complained. “It’s fun, and you don’t get as stupid as you do when you get drunk.”

Shaggy chuckled and said, “I don’t need weed or alcohol. I can do stupid stone-cold sober.”

Rowdy shook his head and asked, “I don’t read you as stupid, Shaggy. I think you’re like me.”

“How is that?”

“I got my name because I have ADHD. I used to be hyper as hell until I got treated for it.”

“I’m hardly hyper,” Shaggy protested.

Rowdy replied, “There are different kinds of ADHD. There is another kind where you have trouble paying attention, and you seem super mellow to everybody. Do you daydream and look out the window in class instead of paying attention? Do you find classes not hard, but boring?”

Shaggy said thoughtfully, “That sounds very familiar. I can usually pass just showing up.”

“That’s how I was,” Rowdy replied, “when I could sit still. Ask your doctor about it. My grades have gotten better every semester since I got treated for my Rowdy-ness.”

Now fascinated, Shaggy asked, “What was it like for you?”

“Do you remember the dog in the old movie Up who would get distracted anytime a squirrel appeared? That’s how I was…”

Shaggy started laughing.

Rowdy continued, “…only now, I don’t have to chase the squirrel.”

Interrupted by the growl of a four-wheeler, Shaggy asked, “I wonder who that is?”

 

 

Travis and Wayne

 

Hiding their raging boners in the dark outside camp, both boys were regretting their opportunistic peeping.

“Was that a four-wheeler?” Wayne asked.

Travis said, “I think so. We’ll have to sneak back to our tent in this condition. What is that in your shorts anyway, an artillery piece?”

Wayne chuckled, “After seeing Jennifer Carlson in the buff, we’ve got three tents.”

Circling around the camp, they saw a four-wheeler in front of LJ and Tommy’s tent. Mrs. King was examining Tommy’s knee.

Wayne said, “I hope Tommy’s all right. His knee put him through hell this year.”

“If he’s not OK, knowing Mrs. King, she’ll take him with her,” Travis replied.

Wayne said, “That’s right, you live down the street from her.”

From a distance, they watched the drama of Mrs. King discovering Tommy’s abuse and his emotional reaction to it. Wayne and Travis looked at each other with concern.

Travis asked, “What did we just see?”

“I’m not sure,” Wayne replied, “but I’m adding up a few things, and I don’t like the sum.”

“What do you mean?”

As they approached their tent, Wayne said, “Don’t take this the wrong way, but Tommy is probably the sweetest person in our class. Ask any senior, and nobody has anything bad to say about him. As a football player, he was quick and had the best hands on the team, but he is skinny and tall, not built for the kind of contact that goes with football. He was an injury waiting to happen. I got the distinct impression he has big problems with his super-macho dad. Mrs. King looking at his back like that…”

Travis exclaimed, “Oh, shit! His old man…”

Wayne said, “At this point, we don’t know anything for sure. The best thing we can do is keep it to ourselves and support him. One thing is for sure. This sure killed my boner problem.”

“Mine too,” Travis said. “It’s a good thing LJ is his partner. He’ll be good for Tommy. Dave is rubbing off on him.”

Wayne nodded and said, “Let’s give them some time and go see them.”

 

 

Tony and Rebel

 

As Mrs. King returned, she stopped by Tony’s truck, where the two teens were still sitting on the tailgate. She thanked Tony and Rebel for having the chaperones call her.

Tony asked, “How is he?”

“Tommy’s knee will be fine, but he’s got other things on his mind. LJ is taking good care of him,” Mrs. King replied. Then, with a twinkle in her eye, she said, “Sangria?”

Tony blushed and opened his mouth to reply, but before he could, she laughed and said, “Relax. I’m a little impressed. I figured it would be beer with this crowd. Just don’t overdo it. It wouldn’t hurt to take him another cup in fifteen or twenty minutes. Good night, boys. Call me if you need me.”

Rebel laughed and said, “I could use another cup, too.”

“Easy, Rebel. You don’t want to get too hammered. You’ll get sick,” Tony admonished.

Rebel slurred, “I’ve never done it before. I mean, I’ve thought about it, but…”

Tony rolled his eyes and said, “Oh boy. I think you’ve had enough.”

Rebel giggled like a little kid and said, “I’m glad you are my partner. I like you. You’re cool. I won’t mind it so much.”

Tony was confused, but drunk people are often confusing. “I like you too, Rebel. You’re a cute little guy, and probably the funniest freshman I’ve ever met. You’re a little tanked, and I think it might be time to hit the tent.”

“Might as well get it over with,” Rebel said glumly.

Tony was even more confused. He helped Rebel up and asked, “What do you mean?”

“Well, you know…,” Rebel said, looking around nervously to ensure he wouldn’t be overheard. He was obviously not quite hammered enough to escape embarrassment. “We’re supposed to give our senior a blow job. I won’t mind it so much since you’re cool, and I like you.”

Nothing could have shocked Tony more. His first instinct was to laugh, but realized his tipsy freshman was serious. While he was a nice boy, Tony wasn’t quite seventeen, alcohol and the idea of a blow job did interesting things to his hormones.

Tony said delicately, “Uh… Rebel. I think somebody pranked you. We’re both a little drunk, but there’s no way I’d make you do that. Initiation weekend is always wild, but it’s not that wild.”

Rebel stopped dead in his tracks. Tony could see the wheels turning in his alcohol-addled brain, albeit slowly, and then he burst out laughing.

“You’re taking it well,” Tony said, amused.

Rebel struggled through his laughter to say, “I had it coming from LJ. I was a jerk to him until Christmas. Actually, it’s a good thing. He and his friends only prank kids they like, and it was a good one. Since I don’t have to do that little chore, maybe we can hang out some more.”

Tony said, “Would you have really done it?”

Considering his answer as thoughtfully as the tipsy teen could manage, Rebel replied, “I’ve never had sex with anybody. At first, I was dreading it. You turned out to be cool, and I decided I liked you, so… I wouldn’t have hated it.”

Tony chuckled and said, “I’m buzzed enough, I wouldn’t have hated it either. You’re lucky I didn’t just roll with it.”

Rebel surprised Tony by stopping, hugging him, and saying, “No. I’m lucky you are who you are.”

Tony hugged him back. Much to his amazement, Rebel Wright, who had the reputation of being the peskiest kid in school, had stolen his heart.

 

 

Willie and DeSean

 

Leaving the bathroom near the lodge, DeSean said, “Maybe they need to rethink this handcuff thing. Taking a slam isn’t something I ever thought I’d need teamwork for.”

“That was, um, the most awkward three minutes of my life,” Willie replied.

“Feeding us like they did, it’s almost like they planned it,” DeSean said, laughing.

Walking back to camp, they saw someone on a four-wheeler chugging away from camp toward the main house. Willie recognized the rider as Mrs. King.

Willie said, “Uh oh. That’s Mrs. King. I wonder what she was doing out here?”

DeSean said, “She must have been checking on somebody. She’s a medic on ambulances and has a rep for being good at it. I heard she saved Sully’s arm after he had that back wreck last summer.”

“I hope nobody is hurt. Wonder what time it is,” Willie replied.

DeSean said, “It’s got to be after one. Want to get some sleep?”

“Soon”, Willie said. “I’d like to find out if everybody is OK.”

 

 

Tommy and LJ

 

Tommy was shaking and crying. It took LJ some time to calm him down.

“It’s going to be OK, Tommy. You’ve got friends, and we’re going to help.”

“When this gets out, it will be out of our control,” Tommy said with a note of panic in his voice.

LJ said, “Think it through. You know who Dave’s dad is. Jeremy Lewis's dad is a judge. My uncle Silas is a lawyer, and so is Travis’s mom. It’s not as out of control as you might think.”

Tommy laughed bitterly and asked, “How can you be so calm about this? I’m probably going straight into foster care as soon as Initiation Weekend is over.”

LJ said, “Cool. Then you’ll probably be going home with Dad and me. He just got his foster care certificate.”

Tommy's eyes widened, and he said, “Really? I mean, he’s single, and I didn’t think they would allow it.”

LJ sighed and said, “Everybody knows Dad was in a bad accident. What only a few people know is we lost my mom and little sister in the same accident.”

Tommy said, “I didn’t know that. It must suck for you. How do you… deal?”

“David helps a lot. At first, I saw a psychologist three times a week. Now, I’m down to once a week; when Dad is in physical therapy, I see her. I was a real mess for a while, but Doctor Jean helped me get sorted out. Maybe you could see her too. She’s great.”

Tommy quietly digested what he had heard and asked, “Why would he want me? I mean…”

“You’ve got problems and why would anybody want you?” LJ asked rhetorically. “Believe me, I’ve been there and thought that myself. It’s not what people say, it’s how they act towards you that makes the difference. Think about it and keep score: Tony saw you limping and was worried enough to get the chaperones to call out Mrs. King to check on you. That’s one. Mrs. King came to check on you. That’s two. I’m pretty sure David pulled strings and had us paired up. That’s three, so three people care about you. No. Make that four. I like you too.”

Tommy sniffed, wiped his eyes, and said, “LJ, are you sure you’re just a freshman? You’re way more mature than any fourteen-year-old I’ve ever met.”

LJ grinned and said, “Well, I’ve been through some deep shit and had a lot of help from my friends. I know what you are going through won’t be easy, but you have friends, too. It might be a rough ride for a while, but things will be better on the other side.”

Tommy asked, “What is your dad like?”

LJ laughed and said, “Dad is great. You won’t have to worry about him hitting you. He’s practically adopted half the neighborhood. He works out of the house, and he’s there most of the time.”

Tommy said, “So, you're David’s boyfriend now. How did you pull it off?”

LJ said, “It was a series of accidents, really. We were coming home from therapy when that ice storm hit just before Christmas break. David missed his ride home, so we picked him up on the road and gave him a ride home. I’d been having trouble making friends, and my dad invited Dave to stay with us because the power was out and his folks were busy. We really hit it off. He was just so nice and polite; my dad was impressed.”

Tommy laughed and said, “That’s David. Does your dad know?”

“Yeah. I came out to my Uncle Matt while Dad was recovering from the accident. He told me it wouldn’t be a problem. I had to help my dad a lot while he was recovering, and we moved here last summer to be close to family. I didn’t know anybody but Uncle Silas and his girls. Please don’t be mad.”

Tommy said, “I’m not mad. I am sad. David and I were best friends, and my dad broke us up. I can see why he likes you. I’ll bet he hugged you and said you’re adorable.”

LJ laughed and said, “Yep. You know Dave, all right.”

“I figured he would end up with Rowdy. That kid loves him to death.”

LJ replied, “Yeah, Rowdy does, but they’re more like brothers. When Dave liked me, it was a real turning point for me.”

“I heard you had trouble fitting in at first,” Tommy said.

“Yeah, Rebel gave me a lot of trouble, and I didn’t impress anybody backing down from him all the time. I didn’t have any confidence.”

“You are amazing, LJ,” Tommy stated. “When Rebel got his act together, you could have held a grudge. Instead, you turned him into one of your best friends.”

LJ cleared his throat and said, “Keep this to yourself, but when I talked to Dr. Jean about Rebel, she told me that the way he was acting out, he might like me, but he hadn’t sorted out the way he felt.”

Tommy raised an eyebrow and said, “Like you?”

LJ shrugged and said, “It was a risk, but it worked out. Acting the way he was, Rebel was very insecure. His mom has custody of him, and his dad lives in Georgia, so he can’t see him often. Having some friends around him, he could count on, turned him around dramatically. My dad calls him a puppy because all you have to do is feed him, pet him a little, and he’s happy as a clam.”

Tommy laughed and said, “Thank you, LJ. You’re good at this. I didn’t think I could feel better, but I do.”

LJ put his hand on Tommy’s shoulder and said, “I hope I get a big brother out of the deal.”

 

 

Tony and Rebel

 

Rebel said, “They’re still up. I heard Tommy laughing.”

Tony spoke up, “Are y’all still up?”

LJ stuck his head out of the tent and said, “Yeah, I think Tommy is getting his second wind.”

After getting up gingerly, LJ and Tommy came out of the tent.

Tony said, “Mrs. King prescribed you another cup of sangria on her way out.”

“Cool,” Tommy replied. “I’ve got something heavy I need to talk to y’all about, and another cup won’t hurt.”

Concerned, LJ asked, “Are you sure?”

Tommy nodded.

The activity at LJ and Tommy’s tent did not go unnoticed. Soon, Travis and Wayne arrived, followed shortly by Willie and DeSean.

Tony and Rebel returned to the truck for a bottle and cups, and DeSean and Willie snagged some folding chairs.

The four pairs moved to a spot behind a hill to provide privacy and settled in to hang out. Tony poured a cup of sangria and passed it around.

Tony broke the ice, “Is your knee OK?”

Tommy said, “Yeah, I overdid it and ended up paying the price. It’s a little swollen, and Mrs. King gave me something for it. It’ll probably be sore tomorrow, but I have a crutch and won’t have to stress it.”

Tommy took a sip of sangria. Then he sighed and said, “My worst problem isn’t my knee. It took a very sharp freshman to help me figure it out and have the courage to admit it. It’s my dad. He gets these rages and…”

Tommy stood, using the crutch for balance, and pulled his shirt up for everyone in their group to see the angry red whelps across his back. Wayne flipped on a flashlight, and there were angry mutters, and DeSean cursed.

There was a catch in his voice, and he continued, “I let Mrs. King see it. I’ve been putting up with this for years, and it took LJ to help me figure out that I don’t have to anymore.”

 

 

 

Epilogue

 

Two weeks later

 

Big Jim Grant yelled up the stairs, “Come on, boys. We don’t want to be late.”

LJ descended the stairs in his usual way, his feet moving so fast they were mere blurs. Tommy came down the stairs more sedately, wearing a knee brace. When he reached the bottom of the stairs, Big Jim tossed him the keys and said, “You drive.”

He caught them with a grin and said, “LJ was right about Doctor Jean. She’s great. I thought it would be awful, but I look forward to seeing her.”

LJ said, “Told you.”

As they trooped out to the van, Tommy said, “That’s not the weirdest part. Who would have guessed Rebel and Tony would become best friends?”

Big Jim laughed and said, “I think I see Dave’s fingerprints all over that one. Speaking of Dave, when does he get off?”

LJ said, “He’s got to close tonight at Green's BBQ. With the tips he’s racking up, he won't gripe about it too loud.”

When they got in the van, Big Jim said, “Are you doing all right, Tommy?”

Tommy smiled brightly and said, “I haven’t been this all right in a long time, sir.”

div>  
Copyright © 2024 JamesSavik; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 13
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

That was fun. Please check the names, the spelling differs from one line to the next. Also, I guess BJ and uncle Silas share a last name, which should be the same as at Christmas, right?

  • Like 5
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, ReaderPaul said:

Excellent, James.

It was fun to write. I know that people without rural roots probably don't know anything about pasture parties. They're lots of fun and combine the best aspects of camping and partying. There are some places that have semi-formalized this practice to keep end of school parties from getting out of hand and dangerous. They're going to happen. This way, kids don't have to get behind the wheel when they're over.

The movie Dazed and Confused came close. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Having grown up in a rural New England cow town this story hit so close to home!! Our graduation party took place in a pasture as well, upon entering the field we were told to park and a chaperone was there to tag our keys letting us know where to find them in the morning.  Odd thing was that as I turned off the car and gave the chaperone the keys and the odometer milage, the danged thing had spun to all zeros. To me it was an indicator that my life was just about to begin and to make the most of it!!

This was well done and thank you for sharing this with us!!!

  • Love 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..