Jump to content
    JamesSavik
  • Author
  • 288 Words
  • 2,032 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Cloud - 14. Chapter 14

Arrival

 

The cloud arrived as expected at 1022 GMT on Monday and began engulfing the atmosphere immediately. It started with Antarctica and began moving north at a rapid pace. It took all the persuasive power that Dr. Turner of the Bio-Sciences Work Group could muster to convince President Harrison that it was not an attack.

It took the cloud a little less than three hours to completely cover the Earth’s atmosphere. A boundary layer formed at the ionosphere at an altitude of 500 kilometers and the fireworks began.

All over the world on both the day and the night sides of the planet, high-level lighting began and soon the ghostly green glow of aurora lights could be seen in latitudes where they had never been seen before. Meteors streaked across the sky. Across the world, fear gave way to curiosity as people began leaving the shelters to watch the spectacular light show.

After twelve hours, things began to return to a state of normality. Satellite communications was a little dodgy, but the planet heaved an enormous sigh of relief as the Cloud proved to be harmless.

Twenty-six hours after its arrival, the cloud began to lift. Much to the delight and amazement of the scientists, it divided. One part of the Cloud moved off in the general direction of Vega and the other toward Sirius.

The Earth and its inhabitants had just witnessed a birth of cosmic proportions.

The Navy stewards who managed the facility brought out a bottle of Champagne and a box of cigars, appeared in the room where the scientists had been observing the event.

Dr. Cassidy raised a glass and toasted, “Congratulations ladies and gentlemen! It’s a beautiful baby… something.”

Copyright © 2012 jamessavik; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..