Jump to content
    JamesSavik
  • Author
  • 318 Words
  • 2,013 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Cloud - 7. Chapter 7

Coolgardie, Western Australia

Graves Estate

Kelly watched quietly as Graves worked. He might not be what was called a professional astronomer, but it was clear to her that he knew what he was doing.

Graves had archived images of the sky for every night since the object had first appeared that he used to create a track as the object as it moved through the Southern Cross and into Centaurus.

He did some calculations on a white board and ran a few programs in Mathmatica on one of the PCs. Finally, he said, “Kelly, I think that I’ve got some answers for you, but they’ll only raise more questions.”

Kelly turned on her tape recorder and said, “Go ahead, Bill.”

“The object seems to be approaching us from the general direction of Alpha Centauri. It’s moving very, very fast. Much faster than I’ve ever seen a natural object move. According to my calculations, it’s slowing down, and it is going to come very, very close to Earth.”

Kelly didn’t know what to say. “Bill, what does that mean?”

“I don’t know what it is, but it’s big- huge that I can see it so far out. It’s moving through a part of the Solar System that we call the Oort cloud. It’s going to make a close pass into the inner solar system and… Sorry, Kelly. I just don’t know. If you can wait until it’s a little darker, we’ll take a closer look at it with the big scope. Are you hungry?”

She hadn’t eaten since she had been on the plane. “Why yes, I am.”

Graves said, “Call your cameraman, and I’ll see what I can put together in my kitchen. By the time we eat, it’ll be dark enough for us to have a good look at your bogey.”

“Bogey?”

“Sorry. That’s from my years in the Air Force. It means unknown.”

Copyright © 2012 jamessavik; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..