Jump to content
    joann414
  • Author
  • 13,232 Words
  • 2,220 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

I'm Here for the Party - 1. Chapter 1

I’m Here for the Party

 

Ross threw back the comforter on his bed, waking the small dog that was curled beneath it at his feet. “Don’t you hear someone pounding on the door Freda? You’re too lazy to even bark.”

“Damn spoiled dog,” he muttered as he plodded down the steps in his flannel pajamas. “Who the hell in his right mind is out in this weather anyway?” He continued muttering to himself as he peered through the windows at the top of the door. The sight that greeted him made him forget the tiredness from 24 hours of no sleep before he’d crawled in bed 4 hours earlier after driving straight through to his cabin.

He jerked the door open and looked skeptically at the young man in a flannel shirt, denim jacket, and jeans, his feet encased in expensive western boots. Black hair peeked from beneath the bright purple toboggan he wore on his head. Brown leather gloves covered the man’s hands, one of which was holding out a bottle of excellent wine to Ross.

“I’m here for the party. Jules told me to meet him here since I couldn’t make it in until today. I’m Bennett Headley, Jule’s roommate.” The young man’s words trailed off when he noticed what Ross was wearing.

Ross stared at the gorgeous 6 foot of ‘cold, hot mess’ in front of him. “Get in out of this weather. Seems we’re on a different page here.” He stepped back to let the shivering denim clad hunk of heaven into his den. “I’ll start a fire while you get out of that wet jacket and boots. Set your boots on the hearth by the fire.” He shivered when his bare feet touched the hardwood floor between his rugs. After laying the fire and coaxing some dancing flames, he turned back to his visitor who’d shed his jacket and shoes, and hung the wet toboggan on a hook behind the front door, next to where he’d hung the damp denim jacket. Ross’s mouth went dry as he watched Bennett run his hands through his straight shoulder length shiny black mane before plopping down on the rug in front of the fire.

“Let me go put some socks on these feet, and I’ll fix us something warm to drink and we’ll sort this, whatever it is out.” Ross gestured with his hands as he spoke and then went through to the kitchen and to the laundry room to retrieve some clean socks from where his laundry lay folded from the last time he’d been at the cabin which was a couple of months ago.

He loved the cabin and was in the process of selling his business in Florida so that he could stay in the mountains permanently. The sale would be final when he got back after the holidays, leaving his condo the only major decision left to be made, the question of keeping it or not.

After pulling wool socks over his feet, he turned on the taps and splashed water out of the sink in the utility room onto his face, hoping he didn’t look too bad. Then, he shook his head, telling himself he was crazy to think that someone as young as the man in his living room would even give an old man like him the time of day. Forty wasn’t young and certainly wasn’t what young men like that one in front of his fire was looking for. “Fuck Ross, you don’t even know if the guy is gay. Chances are he’s not.” Laughing at himself for muttering again, he padded through the door to the kitchen and reached for a box of instant packets of chocolate that lay in the middle of the table. He put a kettle of water on to heat before heading back into the den.

“It seems someone has played a joke on me or I’ve made a mistake. It was my understanding there was going to be a party here tonight and Jules said he’d meet me at 9 o’clock sharp. The weather caused me to be late and now there’s nobody here but you.” The young man shifted his lithe frame uncomfortably on the floor and moved to lean his back against the brick hearth.

Ross settled into a rocker and looked down at his visitor. “Are you sure you have the right address?”

Bennett pulled a piece of paper from his front pocket. “This is Hobbit’s Hollow road isn’t it? And you’re the first house on the right?”

“Close, but no cigar. You turned one road too soon. This is Hobbit’s Hill road. I’m uphill. You need to go downhill.” Ross smiled at the embarrassed young man. “I’m Ross Palmer. I don’t think I introduced myself.”

“Nice to meet you. I better call Jules and let him know where I am. Obviously, he’s not worried about me though. It’s after 10 and he hasn’t bothered to call or text.” As if the other man could hear him talking, Bennett’s phone went off. Instead of picking it up from the floor beside him, he hit the speaker button.

“Speak of the devil and he calls.” Bennett laughed as he said the words, throwing a wink Ross’s way, making the older man blush in surprise.

“Are you alright Bennie? I was looking for you an hour ago. It’s snowing like hell, and the weather man just said they were closing the roads. We’ll have to stay here tonight if you can get here. Where are you anyway?”

“Actually, I’m pretty close by. I took a wrong turn and wound up getting a stranger out of bed with my offerings of wine in hand. His name is Ross Palmer. Your family probably knows him.” Bennett was watching Ross as he spoke, causing the older man to pick nervously at the leg of the flannel pajamas he wore.

Ross heard a swift intake of breath at the other end of the phone. “You’re fuckin kidding me right? Tell me you’re not holed up with Ross Palmer.”

“Yep, but I’m fixing to head your way.” Bennett smiled as he spoke, but his smile faded when he saw a weird look cross Ross’s face, almost as if the other man had grown anxious, listening to their conversation.

“Man, you can’t get on the road in this. The roads are icy and it’s snowing like hell. The wind has picked up like crazy. We’re all bedding down here and you’re stuck with a queer up on the mountain.” A chuckled sounded in the phone. “No worries though. Everyone here likes him. He’s more or less our token gay.”

Bennett understood the look on Ross’s face at that moment. “No problem man. I’ll crash here and we’ll talk in the morning. Nighty, nite.” He clicked his phone off.

“Jules is a good guy although he’s an idiot sometimes. Sorry about his rude remarks. I just felt it would’ve been ruder to click the conversation off speaker in mid conversation. You know what I mean…it...” Bennett realized he was babbling and hushed.

Ross got up from his chair. “I hear the kettle. Do you want marshmallows in your hot chocolate?”

“If they’re big ones, three. If they’re the little ones, cover the top of the chocolate please.” Bennett felt his face heat up.

The laughter that erupted from Ross’s mouth lightened the tension in the room. “You sound like a kid. It’s big ones so I’ll add 3 marshmallows.”

A few minutes later, Ross leaned down to hand Bennett his cup of chocolate and settled back into his chair.

“I’m sorry for waking you and I can sleep in my car if it’s an imposition for me to stay.”

Studying the boy’s face, Ross knew he was a genuinely nice guy. “Of course you’re not sleeping in your car. I have another bedroom upstairs.” Realizing what he’d said, he added, “Or, you’re welcome to sleep on the couch if you’d be more comfortable.”

Bennett knew where the offer of the couch was coming from and at that moment could’ve strangled Jules if he’d been within reach of his friend. “Thanks, after driving almost 6 hours, a bed sounds better. I imagine you’re ready to go back to bed since I woke you over an hour ago.”

“Actually, I’m feeling better. I’d slept about 4 hours before you knocked on my door. My drive up here is just over ten hours and I’d left in the wee hours of the morning today. As soon as Freda and I arrived, I unloaded my truck, hit the shower and went to bed. I’m hungry. Are you?”

All that Bennett got out of the conversation was the name Freda. He wondered if Ross was bi instead of gay. If he had a woman in his bed, he had to be. Just wait until he told Jules. He felt his own heart fall a little thinking that the good looking older man wasn’t gay. He’d been admiring him since he’d opened his door a while ago.

“Earth to Bennett. I asked if you were hungry. Where’d you go?”

“I’m starving, and call me Ben. My mother used to call me Bennett when I was in trouble. I never knew my dad. He left right after I was born.” Bennett didn’t know why he volunteered the information, but it was out now.

“Too bad. My mom and dad were both there to throw my shit out in the yard when they found out I was gay. Thank goodness I’d graduated the week before and had a full scholarship. I worked while I was in college, was lucky enough to save and start a small business that grew in a very short period of time, and thumbed my nose at them by the time I was thirty.” Ross took a breath before adding. “Now, we know a little about each other. Let’s go into the kitchen and see what we can find for a quick fix. How about left over chili I brought with me today?”

“Chili sounds great. What do you need me to do?” Ben followed behind Ross.

“Dig around in the freezer over there. I usually have some rolls of some kind in there. If not, we’ll make do with Fritos. I brought a few snacks from home. They’re in those bags on the cabinet over there.” Ross watched Ben dig around in his freezer as if he’d been in the kitchen with him a thousand times.

Ben raised his head up after a bit and said, “No rolls. Looks like it’s going to be corn chips and chili. My fav.” He rubbed his hands together as he spoke, once again causing Ross to laugh aloud.

“I swear. If I didn’t know better, I’d say you were an overgrown kid. How old are you anyway? Never mind, that’s none of my business.” Ross turned to gently stir the chili that had started to bubble in the skillet he’d poured it into.

Ben laughed. “It’s not like I’m a woman, not wanting anyone to know my real age. I’m 29 and holding as the saying goes. Jules and I have been flat mates since college. We both work in the city and decided to rent a place together. He has one end of the flat and I have the other. It’s worked out great.”

“What about company? Isn’t it a little awkward when one of you has a lady friend over?” Ross turned to Ben, who was busy pouring the chips into a bowl and then opening drawers looking for spoons to eat their meal with.

“Not at all. I work nights at the hospital so Jules has the place to himself most nights.” Ben found some cheese in the refrigerator.

“There’s a grater hanging in the pantry.” Ross pointed to the small door on the other side of the kitchen.

Curious, Ross asked, “Working nights must be hard on your love life huh?”

Ben stopped grating the cheese and turned to look at the handsome man standing at the stove, the dark blue flannel making his blue eyes glow. He studied Ross’s features, wavy salt and pepper hair, perfect jawline, and a smile that made his jeans tighten with pure lust. “Curious are we?” He laughed when Ross turned red. “Just kidding. I don’t do much dating. I’m a nurse at the local hospital and my hours don’t give you a lot of time and you know how people are. It’s all or none. I’ve had to settle for none so far. But, you know what? I know that one day, someone will deserve my all, and I’ll give it to them. Until then, I’ll give it to my patients.”

“Hmmm, you seem to have it all figured out. I wish you luck.” Ross picked up the chili and began to ladle it into the bowls Ben had put on the table. Glancing down at his feet, he chuckled.

“Look who’s here. You would only crawl from under those warm covers for food. Ben, I’d like you to meet Freda, my spoiled bedmate and soul mate at the moment.” Ross put the skillet back on the stove and reached down to pick up the little Yorkie, planting a soft kiss on one of the dainty fuzzy ears.

At that moment, Ben knew who he wanted his all with. He felt as if someone had squeezed his heart for all the love they could milk from it and took it. “She’s a cutie.”

***

“I’m about to fall asleep in this chair. That hot chili did me in. Between it and the long drive and half a bottle of wine. Guess I’ll go out to the truck and grab a bag.” Ben stretched after he got up from the rocker that Ross had occupied earlier. He glanced over to see the other man asleep on the couch; Freda curled up against him snoring contentedly. “Oh well.” He put on his boots and let himself quietly out the front door to get his suitcase.

“Damn, it’s freezing out here. I should’ve put on my coat.” He hurried through the several inches of snow on the ground to his pick up and opened the back door. After getting his suitcase, he shut the door and then opened up the front to get his keys from the ignition before locking the truck. He hurried back into the house, trying to make as little noise as possible. He clicked the bolt on the door and carefully toed his boots off, watching Ross and Freda as he did so.

“No need to be so quiet. I heard you go out. Freda and I need to get into bed anyway. It’s after midnight. There’s a bathroom off your bedroom. Your room is up the stairs and to the left at the end of the hall. Go on up and I’ll take care of the fire and lights.” Ross smiled sleepily at the young man staring at him, holding his snow covered suitcase that was dripping water onto the rug by the door.

“Thanks, I really appreciate you letting me stay. Umm...I guess I’ll see you in the morning then. Goodnight. Night Freda.” Ben grinned as the little dog opened one eye to acknowledge her name being spoken. She was obviously one spoiled pet.

Ross turned out the kitchen lights after retrieving two bottles of water from the refrigerator. He then made sure the screen was in place in front of the fire before turning off the two lamps in his den. When he started upstairs, he heard the familiar tapping across the hardwood floor and up the stairs beside him. Freda was not going to be left in the cold.

Ben was pulling on a tee shirt with the flannel pants he’d donned after brushing his teeth when a light knock sounded at his door. “Come on in.” He smiled at Ross who stood holding the two bottles of water with Freda almost standing on the leg of his pajamas she was so close to her master.

“Thanks. I looked for a cup in the bathroom. Those salty Fritos made me thirsty.”

“Yeah, me too. Miss Prissy here has her water bowl in my bathroom as well as downstairs, but as soon as I open mine, she will have to have the first sip from the palm of my hand.” Ross wondered why he even started the conversation since it was obvious that both of them were exhausted.

Ben chucked out loud. “Yeah, I’ve already figured out who’s the boss around here and expects all the love and affection. I’ll make sure I keep my distance.”

The words hung in the air for a full minute before Ross cleared his throat. “Women! Can’t live with them, can’t live without them.” His laugh diminished the awkwardness. “Goodnight Ben. Sleep in if you like.”

“Thanks, I might do that. From the look of the amount of snow I waded through, the roads won’t be opened first thing in the morning anyway. Thanks again, Ross. Night.” He watched the other man pick the tiny dog up before leaving the room.

Sighing, he turned off the lamp before sliding into bed. Sitting the water bottle beside the lamp, he lay on his back once more wondering what Jules was going to say when he came out of the closet. This was the last thought he had before sleep overcame him. Then dreams of a man in flannel pajamas kept a serene smile on his face the rest of the night.

***

Ben swatted lightly at the tickling on his nose. He snuggled further down into the comforter, burying his nose into the material. As he began to drift back to sleep, he felts a wet warmth on his ear. “Freda. How’d you get up here? You’re too small to jump.” Ben gently rubbed the little Yorkie who was now nose to nose with him.

“Freda! I can’t believe you woke him. Naughty girl!” Ross stood in the doorway of Ben’s room in black sweat pants and shirt.

Smiling over the tiny pet’s head, Ben said, “She’s fine. I was just a little concerned as to how she got up here.”

“She learned from day one to leap upon the cedar chests at the end of the beds and then onto the bed. I guess I need to move this one away from my guest’s bed. Not everyone would be as nice as you when they are waked by a warm tongue with morning doggie breath.”

“She’s precious. I always wanted a dog, but my hours are so crazy. Hopefully, if I get a job in the valley, I’ll get days instead of nights. That’s why I came here with Jules. I applied for an opening at the local hospital and I have an interview day after tomorrow.” Ben scratched Freda’s ears as he spoke.

“You’re going to work at Snow Mountain Memorial? Not many would leave a fancy city hospital for the likes of our small regional hospital. About all they get are seasonal colds and flu and ski victims, if you know what I mean.” Ross walked over to retrieve Freda who growled lowly when he reached for her.

“You little traitor. I can’t believe she has taken to you so quickly. She’s normally very cautious. You must be the genuine nice guy. They say animals know when humans don’t.” Ross sat down on the foot of the bed.

“Jules has a cat. I fed her when I was there and when I came in from work in the wee hours of the morning, she’d lie on the couch with me while I unwound before going to bed. Her name is Kate.” Ben eyed the older man who sat right next to his feet, walking his fingers on top of the comforter trying to persuade the Yorkie to come to him.

“Well, maybe you’ll get the job in the valley and we can find you a pet. I know the lady who runs the shelter and they have plenty of great animals that need a home.”

“Let’s wait and see if I get the job first. Then, we’ll go from there.” Ben threw his legs over the side of the bed. “I better get up. Mind if I take a shower?”

“Help yourself. You’ll find whatever you need in the white cabinet. I had one earlier. Breakfast will be ready in a few.” Ross picked up the still growling Yorkie and headed back downstairs.

“If you keep growling at me young lady, no food for you.” Ross shook a finger in Freda’s face and she playfully nipped it before licking it. “Come on. You need to go out anyway. I hope your feet freeze you little shit.”

Ross opened the back door and let her out onto the back patio and watched her walk off the concrete before shutting the door. He watched her out the kitchen window as he grated potatoes for hash browns. A few minutes later, he saw her bounding through the snow that practically covered her whole body. He went to get a towel from the utility room and let her in, wrapping her in it and briskly drying the small body before taking her and depositing her on the rug in front of the fire. The little Yorkie curled up, her back to the warmth of the flickering flames.

When Ben came downstairs twenty minutes later, Ross was putting freshly cooked hash browns onto plates that held two eggs and two slices of bacon. A large stack of toast was on a plate between them. Ben sat down at the bar, his stomach growling appreciatively. “What a feast! You’re sure you’re not a famous cook?”

“Actually, I did take cooking at university as an elective. I love to cook.” Ross poured coffee into the two cups on the bar and sat down across from Ben who was pouring orange juice into the small glasses by their plates. He watched him sit the carton down and take his first bite of the potatoes.

“Delicious. What is that taste? There’s something different.” He took another bite. “Jalapeno. I taste a hint of it, but not enough to make it hot to the palate. Perfect.”

Feeling his face flush at the younger man’s praise, Ross murmured, “Thanks.”

They shoveled down their food in silence pausing only to refill their juice glasses and coffee cups. They sat leisurely enjoying their third cup of coffee when Ben’s phone chirped, signaling a text.

Due to our COS’s plans and the weather, your interview has been rescheduled for tomorrow at 7a.m. If this is not suitable, let us know

“They’ve rescheduled my interview to tomorrow. I hope the weather clears so I can get down the mountain this afternoon.”

Ross started clearing the table, surprised at the feeling of disappointment he felt. He’d hoped that the weather may keep Ben here for at least one more night. They seemed to enjoy each other’s company and their conversation this morning was like two friends talking. Maybe it was just his imagination.

***

Three hours later, Ross stood at the door and watched Ben pull his boots on before picking up his suitcase. Even Freda sat forlornly in front of the fire, refusing to let Ben pet her to tell her bye. He held the denim jacket for Ben to put his arms through the sleeves, swapping his suitcase from one hand to the other as he did so.

Ben held his hand out to the handsome older man not quite knowing what to say, or even how to say goodbye. It didn’t seem right for some reason. Finally, he cleared his throat. Before he could change his mind, he sat his suitcase down and enveloped Ross in a warm hug. “Thank you doesn’t seem enough for such great hospitality from a stranger. Hopefully, I’ll see you soon, Ross.” He let go and reached down to get his suitcase.

“You be careful now. The snowplows have already been through twice but that doesn’t mean it’s not slick. If you have any trouble, call. You did put my number in your phone didn’t you?” Ross looked down to hide his emotions.

“I sure did. If you like, I’ll let you know how my interview goes tomorrow. I mean, if you…” He trailed off, looking down himself.

Ross smiled and put his hand on Ben’s shoulder so the other man would look at him. “Of course I want to know. Call me as soon as you find out if you got the job. Freda and I will be waiting.”

“I guess I better go then. Bye Freda. See you around Ross Palmer.”

Ross watched Ben get into his vehicle and waved back at the handsome young man as he pulled out of his drive. He knew if he stood outside, he could see it as it went down the hill and around the next curve, but his heart just wasn’t in it.

Two hours later, Ross sat in the rocking chair looking at the total chaos in his den. He’d drug out all of the Christmas decorations and hadn’t even gone to get a tree yet. Deciding to hang his wreaths out front, he opened the large container that held the three wreaths. The larger with the red ribbon, he hung on the large bay window. He put one of the small ones with a green ribbon on the front door and hung the other on the edge of the roof right above the steps.

Before getting down from the ladder, he noticed a couple of limbs on the roof and decided to throw them off while he was up there. He walked cautiously across the snow covered roof and deftly threw one down in the back yard and reached for the other one. He felt his feet begin to slide and quickly sat down, his hands grasping for something to hold onto. When he hit the snow covered ground in the back yard, he lay breathless, thankful for the several inches of the winter’s blanket that had cushioned his fall. When he went to rise up, his left arm made him groan with pain.

***

“I’ll be back in a little while. Take a nap and quit whining. I’ve got to go have my arm looked at and make sure nothing is broken.” Ross patted Freda with his other hand, holding his left one close to his side in a position that caused the least amount of pain. He checked to make sure his truck keys were in his pocket before letting himself out into the falling snow that had started while he was changing out of his wet clothes.

Ross pulled his truck into the small parking lot behind the hospital where the Emergency room was located. After locking his truck, he walked toward the door marked with big red letters. He saw Jessie, his Dr.’s nurse standing at the window, talking to the Emergency room attendant.

“Hey Jess, I think I might’ve fractured my arm.” Ross called to his friend as he walked toward the check in area.

“Ross! Hey, buddy. Let’s get you in and take a look at you. You’re in luck. Dr. Pierce is on duty today. Come on back. There’s no one waiting right now.” Jess lead Ross to an exam room, ignoring the attendant holding out the clipboard with papers that needed to be filled out before seeing a doctor.

An hour later, Ross left the exam room with his arm in a temporary sling and some pain pills. Dr. Pierce told him to come back in the morning and let him check his wrist which seemed to be where most of the swelling was located.

“Thanks Doc. I was scared there wouldn’t be a doctor on duty on a Sunday. I’ll see you at 9 o’clock sharp in the morning. See ya, Jess.” Ross waved at Jessie with his good hand as he walked toward the Emergency room exit relieved that it looked to only be a sprain.

***

“Hop down girl. I wasn’t gone but a couple of hours.” Ross reached down and patted Freda on the head. It was as if the little animal knew he was in some kind of pain. “Let’s go feed us. I’m hungry and I bet you wouldn’t say no to a piece of ham.”

Freda barked at the mention of ham. Not one to believe all the hype about not giving dogs people food, Ross treated Freda to a piece of ham or turkey pretty regularly. The little dog seemed none the worse from eating them.

After making himself a sandwich, he cut a piece of ham into small pieces and put it in Freda’s bowl, leaving the dog to eat as he got a beer from the fridge and went to sit down on the couch, ignoring all the boxes still in the floor. He hadn’t taken a pain pill and his wrist hurt too much to fool with decorating at the moment. Munching on the sandwich, he channel surfed until he found a Christmas movie he was fond of and stretched his long legs out in front of him to watch it while he finished his lunch. A few minutes later, he brushed the crumbs from his lap and reached to pick up Freda who was begging to get in his lap. He drank his beer and watched the movie while the little dog napped.

The sound of “Jingle Bells” coming from his phone made him smile, wondering who was calling him on a Sunday afternoon. “Hello.” Ross sat up a little straighter when he heard the voice at the other end of the line.

“Ross? This is Bennett, Jule’s friend.”

Before he got any farther, Ross interrupted. “Hi Ben. What a nice surprise.”

Ben let out a relieved breath on the other end of the line causing Ross to smile.

“I was wondering if you found a key ring with one key on it in my room. I lost the key to Jule’s parent’s house that he gave me and now I’m locked out and nobody is at home. His parents went to a pageant after church. I tried to call you earlier, but it went to your voice mail.” Ben stopped speaking.

“Yeah, I had my phone off for a while.” Ross remembered turning his phone off at the hospital. “Where is Jules?”

“Well, that’s the thing. He got a phone call early this morning and had to go back to the city. Apparently, there’s been an unexpected development in a big civil suit he’s handling for the firm he works for. He was hoping to stay until after the first of the year. When he phoned me, he said he may be back in a few days. Now, I’ll be staying at his parent’s alone. Awkward much.” Ben tried to laugh, but Ross could tell the young man wasn’t happy.

Before thinking Ross spoke into the phone. “Why don’t you leave Jule’s parents a note and tell them you’ve found other accommodations and felt a little uneasy staying with them without Jules. I’m sure they’ll understand.”

“That’s fine and well, but it’s virtually impossible to find a motel room this close to the slopes this time of year.” Ben sounded defeated.

Ross quickly reassured him. “I mean that you’re welcome to stay here. I have plenty of room and you don’t have to tell anyone if it makes you uncomfortable.”

“If you’re sure. I mean, I don’t want to be in your way or anything. I’ll be more than glad to pay you.” Ben sounded excited, but a little uncertain.

Ross spoke again. “Tell you what. Why don’t you run by a grocery store, pick up a few of your favorite eats and drinks and we’ll go from there?

Ben laughed. “I’ll go and do that right now. Do you need anything? What’s your favorite beer?”

“Just get what you want and come back up the mountain before the snow starts again. Freda and I will have a nice fire built waiting for you. See you in a few.” Ross clicked his phone off and began to move the boxes over against the wall and out of the middle of the room. He didn’t even realize he was whistling, “All I Want For Christmas Is You.”

Freda lay on the rug in front of the fire watching Ross move the boxes and containers. When the knock sounded at the door, both she and Ross hurried to it. Ross smiled in welcome and Freda yapped loudly and jumped up on Ben’s leg to be picked up by the snow covered visitor.

“Wait a minute little one and let me get this wet coat and boots off. It’s sleeting and snowing out there. I hope I can get back down the mountain for my interview tomorrow.” Ben sat his wet boots on the rug by the door and then hung his coat on a hook above it. “I sat the groceries on the porch so we wouldn’t have to get back out in this mess.”

Ross nodded, still too excited to carry on a conversation with his guest. What the hell was wrong with him? He just offered the kid a place to stay. Shaking his head, he went out to get the two large grocery bags that sat on the porch beside Ben’s duffle. After depositing the two bags inside the door, he went back for the duffle.

“I was going to get that. It was so cold that I was going to warm up a bit first. Let me have one of those bags.” Ben took one of the bags of groceries and headed toward the kitchen, Ross right behind him.

“I see that you like cheese. There’s provolone, cheddar, Swiss, and American.” Ross took each pack of cheese from the sack as he spoke. “Hmm, Oreos, Fritos, and more marshmallows. I see you bought little ones so you could cover the top of your hot cocoa. You’ve got to be kidding! There are two boxes of Froot Loops in here.”

Ben ducked his head as he unloaded his sack. “You told me to get what I liked. So, I did. I’m glad you’re not unpacking this sack.” He pulled out two cans of cinnamon rolls and a jug of apple cider.

“Now, that’s more like it. I love hot cider with mulling spice. Hand me those cinnamon rolls and I’ll put them in the fridge with the cheese. Help yourself to snoop around the cabinets and put the rest of your stash away.”

“This isn’t just mine you know. I share nicely.” Ben gave Ross one of those winks that made the other man’s mouth dry.

Ten minutes later, Ross sat at one end of the couch and Ben at the other, Freda walking back and forth between the two of them soliciting attention. They both held a glass of rum and coke, causing Freda to spend more time at Ben’s end of the couch for petting since Ross only had one hand.

“I can’t believe you fell off the roof after I left. You should’ve said something and I could’ve helped you.” Ben had been shocked when Ross explained why his arm was in a loose sling.

“It wasn’t planned. I was only going to decorate but saw the limbs on the roof when I hung the wreath on the eave of the house. I should’ve known better than to get on the icy roof.” Ross sat his drink on the coffee table beside him and reached for the remote, turning the television on. It was on the same channel from earlier, a different Christmas movie playing. “Do you like holiday movies?”

Ben smiled at Ross. “Love them. I’m a Christmas idiot. After I started working at the hospital, I became involved with the Children’s Ward and always helped with their special events. Christmas was my favorite. I’d spend every Christmas with them. They were my family for the holiday.”

Ross could imagine the young man giving his time to the sick youngsters at Christmas but was a little curious. “What about your mom? Didn’t she want you home for Christmas?”

“Mom died while I was in nursing school. To be honest, she drank herself to death. I did all I could to get her to stop, but she drank from the day my father left until the day she died. I never knew until I was almost a teenager that the tea glass she carried around with her all the time didn’t contain tea. By then, it was too late. She didn’t care about anything but where the next drink was coming from and me. Her parents sent money for us and made sure I got a good education. They were there when I got my Nursing diploma, not my mom. She loved me, but I don’t think after my father left she ever felt loved again. She dated a couple of guys but it was like she was looking for something or someone that she never found or I guess I should say never found again.” Ben hushed, memories mirrored in his sad blue eyes.

Ross reached for his glass and took a sip before speaking. “I hope she knows what a great job she did raising such an upstanding and caring young man. She would be very proud.”

“Thank you. That’s nice of you to say. I owe a lot of that to Jules. He coaxed me out of my shell at college and we spent a lot of time together. I never felt like I missed out on anything in life although I didn’t have a dad. It’s like you don’t miss what you never had. Or, at least I didn’t. I guess I should feel lucky that I felt that way.” Ben got up to go refill his glass. “Want another one?”

“Sure, I’ll add more wood to the fire while you’re gone.” Ross got up and added wood piece by piece to the fire with his working hand thinking of what Ben had said. He still was in awe of how natural it felt to have the younger man stay with him and Freda. As if hearing his thoughts, he felt the little crumb snatcher nip his toe, telling him she needed to go out and do her business.

***

Ross wasn’t surprised when Ben came in the next afternoon and announced he got the job at the hospital. They celebrated with a bottle of wine while decorating the Christmas tree. Ben didn’t seem to mind that he did most of the work hanging the lights since Ross only had one hand available. They both hung their share of the ornaments, the finished product one that made them both smile proudly.

“Sheesh, I can’t believe it’s already dark. It gets dark early.” Ben gazed out the picture window in the front of the den.

Ross followed his gaze. “Not only that, it looks like we’re in for more snow. I’m glad you got back up the mountain as early as you did. Ready for a bite to eat?”

Ben slapped his forehead. “I was so excited about telling you I got the job that I left the pizza in the truck,”

Ross laughed. “I’m sure the oven will take care of that. Go get it and I’ll warm it. Sounds perfect!”

While Ben went to his truck to get the pizza, Ross got out a pizza pan and pre-heated the oven. After laying out paper plates and napkins, he poured another glass of wine and waited for Ben to come back with dinner. Ross got a little antsy when the timer dinged, signaling the oven was ready and there was no Ben. He got up and went to look out the front door. When he opened the door, he saw Ben sitting in his truck talking on his cellphone. He looked upset judging by his facial expressions and the way he was talking wildly with his hands.

Ben, close to tears tried to make Jules understand. “I tried to tell you many times and it was like you already knew and wanted to ignore it. And no, that’s not why I’m staying with Ross. Your parents don’t need me over the holiday during all your family’s activities. I’ll come spend some time when you come in for a few days at Christmas.”

“Don’t skirt the issue, Ben. I’ve never seen anything about you that shouted gay. Are you sure you’re not just going through some kind of phase or something. Maybe you need to go back down the mountains and stay with mom and dad.” Jules knew he was wasting his breath.

A tear slid down Ben’s face, his heart hurting at the thought of losing Jules as his best friend. “Jules, I’m staying up here. I’ve offered to pay. Come Spring when the cabins start emptying out, I’ll rent one of them.” He sniffed and asked quietly. “Are we ok? I mean, do you hate me?”

“Are you an idiot? Of course I don’t hate you. You’re my best friend. I don’t care if you’re gay, have two heads, or even like ‘chic flicks’. I’m still the only one that will put up with you.” Jules tried to placate Ben, hearing his soft sniffles. “I love you man. You love me. We’re like brothers and that will never change.”

Ben felt a grin split his face. “I do love you, even more now.”

“Now don’t get too mushy. You’ll make me cry.” Jules teased Ben; glad his friend sounded more like himself. “I might come by and see the two of you when I get back in this weekend if it’s ok.”

“That’ll be great. You’ll love Ross and Freda. They’re so warm and nice and funny.” Ben gushed to Jules about his new friends.

“Freda? Who’s Freda?” Jules was overly curious and Ben could hear it.

Wanting to play his friend along, Ben started to tease a little but knew Ross was waiting on him inside. “Freda is a Yorkie that thinks she’s a person. You’ll get to meet her soon enough. Gotta go. I’ll see you Friday.” Ben couldn’t hide the excitement in his voice thinking of Jules and Ross meeting for the first time.

“I’ll be there. Oh, and Ben. They say gay men can cook so no microwave crap for dinner.” Jules laughed as he clicked off his phone, glad his friend had finally came clean. He’d known something was off for a couple of years but wasn’t sure what it was. Now, he knew. Damn, who would’ve thought it? The cowboy is gay. Whistling happily, he pulled into his favorite bar for a drink.

Ross stood in front of the stove oblivious to Freda nudging his foot, wanting to be picked up. Something or someone had upset Ben. He jumped when he heard the front door open.

“Who wants half frozen pizza?” Ben held up the snow covered box, his demeanor completely different from the man Ross had seen in the truck minutes ago.

“Bring it on. The oven is hot and Freda and I are starved. We thought you had to make it from scratch or something.” Ross teased but his voice said something else and Ben recognized the fact.

“Yeah, Jules called as I walked out the door. We had a few things to discuss, but things are… things are I guess you could say, really good.”

Ross put the pizza into the oven as he spoke. “Was he upset because you weren’t staying at his parent’s house while he was gone back into the city?”

“Nah, he understood. I just dropped a bomb on him and he was a little shell-shocked, to say the least.” Ben sat down at the table and reached down to pick up Freda who had decided to beg for his affections.

“Mm... didn’t mean to pry. You just looked a little upset when I checked on you earlier.”

“Checking up on me huh? That makes me feel important.” Ben teased Ross.

“You know what I mean. You were gone a pretty long time and I just wanted to make sure you hadn’t slipped in the snow and knocked yourself out or something.” Ross sighed.

“Sure you were.” Ben loved seeing the older man blush. “Hey, I’m just teasing. I appreciate your concern. I needed to clear the air with Jules about something and it was time to get it done. Anyway, it was easier on the phone.”

Ross was curious now. “Couldn’t have been that bad. The two of you’ve been best friends and roommates for how long?”

“That’s the whole problem. I’d never told him something that I expected him to figure out on his own. It was time to clarify the whole deal. It’s a long story. Maybe I’ll tell you one day.”

Ross took a chair across from him after filling Ben’s wine glass. “Everyone is entitled to their privacy. You don’t have to tell me anything I don’t need to know if it makes you uncomfortable.”

Ben studied Ross, his gut in knots. He looked down at the wine in his glass swirling it gently. “I’m gay.”

Freda sneezed when Ross spit wine across the table onto her and Ben. “Geez, if I’d known you were going to waste this good wine, I’d waited awhile before telling you.”

After wiping the table and handing Ben a paper towel, Ross asked, “Is that what you were telling Jules? If so, I’m sure he was shocked, probably more than I am. That’s not something you spit out over the phone to your best friend.”

Ben took a sip of his wine before answering. “I’ve wanted to tell him a long time and he was so concerned about me staying with you that I thought it would be the perfect time to tell him so that he wouldn’t worry so much.”

“Now, I’m more confused than ever. He’s less concerned because you are gay and living with a gay man? Or is it that I’m an old gay man and he has nothing to worry about? What the hell do you mean?” Ross reached for the almost empty wine bottle, tempted to turn it up and drink the last of the wine.

Ben didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. “I don’t know what I mean. He’s just concerned and I wanted to put his mind at rest. Anyway, I’m a grown man and can make my own choices and I’m the one that has to answer for them. Period.” As defiant as his voice sounds, Ben felt defeated.

“Hey, calm down. It’s no biggie. You can tell everyone that you’re paying to stay with me if it makes you feel better. Let them speculate if they want to. If that’s what you’re worried about, they speculate about me whether there’s someone here with me or not. So, bottom line is I don’t give a damn what they say.” Ross got up to get the pizza out of the oven, hoping it wasn’t burned.

Ben felt like he’d made a mess of things. “I don’t care what people say. If I want to live with you, sleep with you, whatever. It’s my fucking business. Now, I’m done with talking about it.” He threw the rest of his wine down his throat.

The two men ate in silence, their own thoughts keeping them quiet.

“If I want to live with you, sleep with you, whatever.” Ross knew that sentence was going to cause him to lose sleep and more than one night of it.

Ben chewed on his pizza thinking of his own words. He knew he was attracted to Ross and liked him, a lot. It was all too new to try to sort out at the moment.

“How about I clean up while you go find something to watch on the telly?”

Ross looked up at Ben. “Sure, there’s more wine if you like or I’ll start some coffee if you’d rather have something hot.”

The words hung in the air, both men trying not to fidget under the tension in the room.

“Do you have the makings for margaritas? I love them and I’ll even make them.” Ben waited on Ross to answer.

Ross couldn’t believe it. He loved margaritas and he kept ingredients for the drink at all times. “Sure, look under the bar, and you’ll find anything else you need in the refrigerator. My blender is underneath the bar also.”

“Cool. As soon as I finish clearing everything, I’ll make the drinks. You go relax and find a good movie.” Ben shooed Ross and Freda out of the kitchen.

Ross heard the blender come to life a few minutes later. He’d found several Christmas movies but settled on a sappy romantic one. After adding logs to the fire, he and Freda sat on one end of the couch and he propped his sock clad feet on the coffee table in front of him. “Yeah girl, I could get used to this. If I were 5 years younger, he’d never leave us.”

Ben almost dropped the two acrylic Christmassy margarita glasses he held in his hands. He couldn’t believe someone as handsome and worldly as Ross could be attracted to him. Maybe he’d misunderstood. He walked into the room as if he’d heard nothing.

“Here you go. Frozen margaritas with fresh lime and a little salt on the rim.” He clinked his glass to Ross’s glass and said, “Here’s to a great Christmas and a new start in life.”

Ross smiled up at Ben and then inclined his head toward the other end of the couch. “Have a seat. Freda and I found the sappiest, most romantic Christmas movie made to watch.”

“Great!” Ben propped his socked feet beside Ross’s and became engrossed in the movie.

***

Almost 2 hours later, both men were drowsy from the wine and margaritas but didn’t want to go to bed. Ben got up from where he was sitting and reached for Ross’s glass.

“There’s just enough for one more each if you’re up for it.”

“That’s the great thing about being on holiday. We don’t have to work tomorrow so we can sleep in if we like. So, fill me up.” He grinned as Ben’s tight jean clad ass moved toward his kitchen.

The two men watched movies until almost midnight before giving in to their yawns and stretches.

“See you in the morning Ben. You know where everything is.” Ross got up to stoke the fire and put the screen in place.

Ben stood in front of him. “I’ll do that while you let Ms. Prissy out. She’s yawning and stretching more than the two of us put together.”

Freda stretched again before following Ross to the door. “Hurry up little one so you don’t freeze to death.”

The little ball of fur hurried out the door and was back in a few minutes covered with snow and shivering.

Ben grabbed the fleece throw from the back of the couch and picked her up, wrapping it around here and holding the tiny body to him since Ross only had one hand.

“Thanks. She’s so cold natured. If you don’t mind, just go put her on my bed and I’ll turn out the lights.” Ross watched Ben climb the stairs with a contented Freda cradled in his arms as if she was a piece of fine china. Damn, that young man was going to break his heart if he didn’t watch out.

Ben deposited Freda on Ross’s bed and then stumbled sleepily into the other man as he started out of the bedroom. Feeling Ross’s hands on his shoulders as the other man steadied him, Ben said, “Sorry, guess I’m more tired than I thought or mixing wine and tequila has kicked my butt.” He giggled a little before leaning forward and smacking Ross on the lips. “Nighty night.”

 

Ross touched his hand to his lips where the taste of Ben lingered as he watched the sleepy man stumble down the hall to his room. Smiling happily, he whispered to a sleepy Freda who’d made herself at home on his pillow. “Wonder if he’ll remember kissing me tomorrow?”

Freda’s response was a wide yawn before making circles in the cover trying to make a bed.

“Ok, ok. I get it. You’re tired and don’t want any pillow talk tonight. Go to sleep and we’ll talk in the morning.” After shedding his jeans and shirt, he took the time to splash his face with water from the bathroom sink and brush his teeth before falling into bed with Freda.

***

The sound of ‘Jingle Bells’ woke Ross the next morning. He picked up his phone to see Jess’s number. “Morning Jess. What are you doing up so early?”

“I just wanted to confirm about Friday night. You are still having your cocktail party aren’t you?”

Ross had been having a yearly Christmas cocktail party every year since he’d bought the cabin. The few people he invited were friends of his from the valley. Two of the couples were gay and two of the guys had helped him design and build his cabin eight years ago. They’d become friends. Ross had always wondered why the 2 guys weren’t married. They were well into their forties. Maybe he’d missed something along the way.

“Are you there Ross?” Jess’s voice jarred him from his meanderings.

“I’m here. Sure I’m still having my party. After all, Christmas is just days away. I’ll see you there and don’t forget to bring a date.” Ross knew Jess was a player and if he brought a date, it would probably be the only time Ross ever laid eyes on the guy.

Jess started talking excitedly; his voice causing Ross’s head to pound worse than what it was already. “Just bring whatever suits you Jess. You know I’ll have plenty. I don’t expect my guests to supply food and drink when they’re the ones invited. Now, I have to get up and let Freda out before she bites me. Talk later.” He switched off his phone before throwing his legs over the side of the bed and picked up his jeans from the floor, pulling them on.

“Let’s go. I’ve got to have coffee and aspirin.”

Freda took off down the stairs ahead of him and was sitting at the back door when he walked into the kitchen. After letting her out, he fixed the coffee pot that he’d forgotten to prepare the night before and then rummaged in the cabinet for aspirin. Finding them, he opened them cap and poured two into his hand.

“Share those will you? My head feels like somebody is playing ‘The Little Drummer Boy’.” Ben hadn’t bothered with pants but had on a black tee shirt and boxers. His feet were clad in thick socks.

“Sexy much. Your socks do wonders for the boxers and tight tee.” Ross teased the miserable looking human in front of him.

Ben groaned. “If I look half as bad as I feel, I look like hell. No more wine and margaritas. Seems they were a deadly mixture.”

“I agree. I’m sticking to rum or bourbon through the holidays. Speaking of which, I’m hosting a cocktail party Friday night. If you’re not doing anything, I’d love for you to be there.” Ross addressed Ben who was gulping down a glass of orange juice behind the aspirin.

Ben wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. “You don’t have to invite me just because I’m here. You’ve been more than generous by offering me a place to stay. I can make myself scarce during the party. In fact, I could leave Friday morning and go get some of my things from mine and Jule’s place.”

“I’m not asking you because you live here. I’m asking you because I want you there. It’s casual, so don’t worry about dressing up or anything. There’ll be 6 or 8 more besides the two of us. You’re welcome to invite someone if you like.”

Ben walked over to pour himself a cup of coffee. “I’ll pass on the dating thing. I’m happy as I am at the moment. What about you? Will you invite a date?” He leaned against the counter and waited for Ross’s answer.

“No, I dated a couple of guys in the valley but none that sparked my interest for more than a date or two. Anyway, I’m the host. I like to make sure my guests are having a good time.”

***

The two men parted ways after a quick breakfast. Ross had to have his wrist and arm checked out and Ben was going shopping for things he hadn’t packed for a long stay.

Ross shook Dr. Pierce’s hand a couple of hours later. “Thanks doc. I’m glad I can use my hand again. I never knew how hard it was to have only the use of one. Now, I can go home and get ready for my cocktail party Friday night. Why don’t you and the Missus come? I’d love to have you.”

The doctor smiled at Ross, wishing he could attend the party. Ross had made many contributions to their small hospital and was probably one of the benefactors that actually cared about the hospital and its staff. “I’d love to, but the family is expected in Thursday. I’ve taken off from this Friday until after the holiday to be with the grandchildren. Thanks for the invitation. Maybe we can find time to have a drink on New Year’s.”

“Sounds like a plan doc. By the way, do you know which way Jess is?”

“Probably in the cafeteria grabbing a cup of coffee. His car broke down and he walked the last mile to work. I loaned him a dry pair of scrubs but he’s still thawing out I’m sure.” Dr. Pierce laughed.

Ross laughed with him, imagining his campy friend trudging through the snow and ice in his expensive shoes that he’d bought to match his scrubs. “I’ll catch up with him there.” Ross jogged down the corridor toward the cafeteria.

The small cafeteria served some of the best coffee and Danish in town. Ross got a cup of coffee and a cinnamon Danish before joining Jess who was flirting with one of the male orderlies at one of the corner tables.

“I see you’re warming right up after your morning walk.” Ross indicated the cute twinkish intern that sat across the table from Jess.

“Yeah, I’m feeling better. What about you? I see your sling is gone. You were lucky.”

“Umm, I better get back to work.” The intern started to get up but Jess stopped him.

“Oh, sorry. I have horrible manners. Perry, this is Ross, Ross, Perry McLemore. He’s one of our new interns, but also one of our best.” The young man blushed.

“Nice to meet you Perry. Why don’t you come to my cocktail party with Jess Friday night? Nothing fancy. Dress warm and come prepared to have fun.”

Jess beamed at the young man. “Yes, that’s a great idea. I should’ve thought of it myself. Whadda you say?”

“Sure, I’m off this weekend. Sounds like fun. Do I need to bring anything?” The young man’s excitement was obvious.

“Nope, just be there around 7. The music and fun starts then along with enough food and drink to feed an army.” Ross got up to leave. “See you two Friday.”

***

Ben bought a couple of pair of jeans, two sweaters and several plaid flannel shirts. He ordered many sets of scrubs that would arrive in plenty of time to start his new job after the first of the year. After putting his purchases in the truck, he went in search of lunch.

“Hey you. Wanna buy an old man lunch?”

Grinning, Ben followed Ross into what appeared to be a small Mom and Pop diner. There were vinyl booths that had a small jukebox hanging on the wall at the end of them. After they were seated, Ben started flipping the selections inside the glass seeing a lot of old songs offered as well as many Christmas songs.

“This is a cozy little diner. I’m glad you showed it to me.” Ben reached for one of the menus that the waitress put in front of them along with a glass of water which he gulped down in two swallows.

“Margaritas still got you dried out?” Ross knew Ben still wasn’t at his best by his pallor.

“I’m getting better. I think I’ll just stick to the rum and bourbon also. I’m used to it. Not being a big drinker anyway, it doesn’t take much to do me in when I mix it.” Ben perused the menu as he spoke, his mouth watering when he saw the picture of a double cheeseburger.

Ross laid his menu back on the table since he’d eaten at the diner numerous times. “The burgers are great for a hangover and their chocolate shakes are better than sex.” He blushed when he realized what he’d said.

“Better than sex huh? I’ll definitely have to try one of them. A cheeseburger sounds good also with a pile of French fries and plenty of ketchup.” Ben’s face once more reminded Ross of a young boy instead of a grown man.

“You like to eat don’t you? Your face lights up at the mention of food or drink.”

Ben stuck his tongue out at him. “I love to eat. At the hospital, I had to rush through my meal a lot of times so when I have time to eat, I like to savor it one bite at a time.”

“Well, their cheeseburgers are awesome. I think I’ll have the same.” He glanced at the waitress standing at their table making sure she’d taken their order since she seemed entranced by Ben’s good looks.

“I’ll put your orders right in. More water handsome?” She flirted obviously with Ben making his face turn a dark red.

“Please.” He shuffled uncomfortably on the vinyl seat until she left to go get his refill.

“Looks like you’ve got an admirer. She’s a nice girl. Her grandparents built this place. It’s been in their family for over fifty years. Dr. Pierce told me. She was in the clinic getting stitches in a finger last year when I went in for a checkup. I mentioned her working here and he told me a bit about the history of the place.”

Ben watched Ross’s face as he talked. “I bet many of these places have a history with the ski slopes so close by. I’m sure these merchants would never give up their businesses. Like many places, they make enough during the winter to carry them the whole year.”

“You’re right. But, the good thing is that they don’t close down during the off season. There are not a lot of clothes shopping to be had, but all of the other shops are wide open and so are the three restaurants. The two large restaurants close their banquet rooms if they don’t need the space.” Ross found himself enjoying Ben’s company more and more. He knew he shouldn’t have feelings for the young man as strong as he did but it just happened. What the hell? What am I thinking? Ben’s thoughts scared the hell out of him and his expression mirrored his thoughts.

“Are you alright? You look like you’ve seen a ghost.” Ben reached across the table and touched the back of Ross’s hand getting the other man’s attention.

“I’m good. So, how about making suggestions for the party food? I always do it on my own. A little input from someone new would be welcome.”

Ben held up his hands. “Oh no, I’m the king of microwave. Jules can attest to that. I never had time to cook so it was take out or microwave. I’d be glad to sample though.”

Ross laughed at the young man. “I’m sure you would. You’re fixing to get to sample your lunch.” He watched as the waitress set their food in front of them followed by their chocolate shakes. Ben’s hungry expression almost made him laugh out loud.

“Thank you.” Ben barely glanced at the waitress as he spoke, both of his hands wrapped around the large cheeseburger as he raised it to his mouth. After he’d eaten his first bite of burger and a handful of fries, he noticed Ross hadn’t touched his food.

“What?”

Ross shook his head. “I’ve just never seen anyone so enthusiastic about food and drink but a teenage boy. You remind me of one. I know I’ve said it before but you do. I love it.” He reached for his burger, his eyes still watching Ben enjoy his meal.

The two ate in silence until they both began to feel a little more like themselves.

“How about we make a trip to the supermarket together and you can give me your opinion on what I select for the party. I always order a cake from the bakery section for my centerpiece. Malcolm, the baker makes yummy cakes. It’s basically a birthday cake decorated for Christmas.”

Ben stopped eating long enough to reply. “Sure, I’m done for the day. Are you going to put up anymore decorations inside the cabin?”

“Yeah, I’ll drape lighted garland on the stair rail. That’s about it besides the scented candles I place throughout the place. I love the scent of cinnamon, evergreen, and holiday spices.” Ross stopped and dipped a fry into ketchup before stuffing it into his mouth.

“That shouldn’t take long. We’ve got a couple of days to get the place ready. It’ll be fun.” Ben’s mouth was full as he spoke causing Ross to shake his head and smile.

***

The two men brought in the last of the groceries, the last two hours spent carefully selecting easy and popular dishes to prepare. Although most of it was finger food, Ben was surprised when Ross had bought the makings for homemade macaroni and cheese to go with a huge ham he purchased.

“I’ll put these away if you’ll let Freda out and add some wood to the fire.” Ross spoke to the other man who already had the back door open for the little bundle of fur that hurried out to do her business.

Ben left the door cracked as he made his way into the den to add wood to the fire. Noticing the wood basket was low, after the fire caught back up; he headed into the backyard himself to get more firewood from where Ross had it stacked behind the shed. Freda playfully nipped at the heels of his boots as he walked through the newly fallen snow.

Ross hurried to take some of the wood from Ben’s arms when he came through the back door, their hands touching and lingering at the warmth they both emitted at the contact.

Freda ran between the two men to shake the snow from her fur and onto the rug in front of the fire.

“You little minx. You could’ve waited until I dried you.” Ross playfully scolded the little dog who paid him no mind.

After Ross finished putting the food away, the two men decorated the stairs and Ben got them a drink while Ross went to find the new scented candles he’d brought from the city. Freda stretched contentedly in front of the fire, watching the two men move around the cabin.

“I can’t believe I let you talk me into so much microwave food for the party. I’ve never taken shortcuts with my cooking.” Ross took his drink from Ben after he placed two of the last three candles on the mantle and the other on the coffee table in front of the couch. He lit them before flopping down onto the couch beside Ben. “I’m getting too old for all of this.”

“You’re kidding right? I can hardly keep up with you. The only time I’ve seen you rest is late in the afternoon. You’re not old. It’ll do you good not to have to rush around cooking so much food. Nobody cares what they eat. It’s the season, the camaraderie, and just having a few morsels to munch on as they mingle.”

Ross, surprised, turned to look at Ben. “You sound like you’ve done this before.”

“Nah, I just pay attention when I do go to an outing though. A lot of people don’t even touch the food. They just enjoy being with others.” Ben stretched his long legs out in front of him, settling down into the couch cushions. “Anyway, I’m sure they all will adore microwave goodies. That way they can relax more and eat with their fingers. That is, except the macaroni and cheese of course.”

“I have to make the macaroni and cheese. Louis would never forgive me. It’s his favorite and half of it will be going home with him. He dishes it up and hides it as soon as he gets here.” Ross picked up the remote and turned on the television. Christmas music filled the room as the movie played. Both men were warm and content.

When the credits began to roll, Ross got up and held out his hand for Ben’s glass. “I’ll get us a refill and something to munch on. You find the movie this time.”

Ben watched Ross leave the room, a smile on his face. He’d never believed in love at first sight until now. There was no doubt in his mind that Ross was what he’d been looking for and never found…until now. He surfed the channels until he found another romantic Christmas movie. It had just started so he settled back to watch it.

“Here you go.” Ross handed him his drink and sat his own down on the table in front of the couch. “I’ll be right back.”

The smell of popcorn made Ben’s mouth water. He turned his head to see Ross carrying a huge bowl of popcorn in one hand and a cheese board with cheese and crackers on it in the other hand. “Wow, this is quite a feast. I could get used to this.”

“Go ahead. When I’m off from work, I jog a little, but other than that, I love television and music. My laptop is my vice in the bedroom though.”

“Really? I have to say. My vice in the bedroom certainly isn’t a computer.” Ben laughed out loud at the expression on Ross’s face.

“You know what I mean smartass. Anyway, I wouldn’t call sex a vice.”

“So, tell me, what would you call it?” Ben nudged Ross’s leg with his hand as Ross sat down.

Ross pretended to concentrate seriously. “I’d call it pleasurable exercise.”

Choking on his popcorn, Ben took a swallow of his drink. “That’s a new one on me. Pleasurable exercise huh? Never thought of it that way. It was always pure pleasure for me.”

Ross stared at the television hoping his jeans wouldn’t get any tighter. If so, he’d have to get up to get some relief. “How’d we get on this subject anyway? What movie did you find?”

“Coward. Changing the subject huh?” Ben teased Ross unmercifully.

Ross decided to take the bull by the horns as the saying went. “Well, since we’re on the subject, I love kissing. It’s a pleasurable pastime to me also...” His words were cut off as Ben leaned over and put his hand behind Ross’s head, pulling him to him and kissing him wetly on the mouth.

“Mm, I love giving pleasure. It was a pleasure for me also.” He leaned in again and this time he took Ross’s drink and sat it on the table alongside his own and took the older man into his arms. The heated silence during the kiss was only broken by the harsh breathing of both men.

“Ben, are you sure we should be doing this? I mean, you just came out as a gay man.”

“I realized it when I was a young teen you idiot. I just haven’t acted on it much. No one has given me any reason for anything more than quick relationships and sex.” Ben’s words sounded harsher than he knew.

Ross pushed away from him and got up, the whining bundle of fur at the back door grabbing his attention. “Come on girl. It’s dark and cold out there. Go take care of your business and get back.” He opened the door and stood staring out the back door not ready to face Ben. If the other man was looking for sex and a quick hook up, he didn’t want any part of it. Feeling arms circle him from behind, he stiffened and then let himself relax into the handsome cowboy.

“I didn’t mean us and you have to know that. Whatever I’m feeling for you is something I want to continue, not destroy with one quick roll in the hay and a blowjob. You believe that don’t you?” Ben nuzzled Ross’s neck gently, his words sincere.

Ross stepped back to let Freda bound back into the house and shake snow once again onto the rug in front of the fireplace.

“Yeah, I believe you, but will it last? I’m not stupid. There’s been something happening between the two of us since the first night that you were stranded here with me. I’m scared of getting too involved and then you move down to the valley and find something better.” Ross spoke clearly and honestly, his feelings mirrored in his eyes.

“That’s why we need to get to know each other better because if you did, you’d know I’m not that kind of guy. Guess I’ll just have to prove it to you huh?” Ben let his arms fall and walked back into the den and flopped back down on the couch, reaching for his drink as he did so. Patting the cushion beside him he said, “No more sitting at the other end of the couch; you’ll sit beside me. Understand?”

Ross walked slowly toward the couch and sat down as close to Ben as he possibly could, the heat of their thighs traveling to their groins and both of them felt it. “Start proving it.”

 

Accidental brushes against groins and nipples had the two men so horny that by the time the movie ended, they were both ready to explode. Ben unsure how far to take things decided to put the ball in Ross’s court.

“Guess I’ll hit the sack. Only one more day until the party and we have lots to do. See you in the morning.” He got up but not before kissing Ross hotly. “Nite.”

After Ben climbed the stairs, Ross put the screen in front of the fire and stood there wondering what in the hell had just happened. He muttered to himself. Did I give mixed signals or something?

After showering, Ben slipped on a pair of flannel boxers and a black tee shirt. Brushing his teeth, he tried to fight the disappointment of Ross not following him up the stairs. He heard the other man’s shower come on and knew he was preparing for bed also. After putting his toothbrush in its holder, he turned out the bathroom light and walked to his bed to fold back the covers. Sliding under them, he turned off the light and lay on his back listening to the water until it stopped, his loins aching with need of Ross.

“Are you asleep?”

Ross’s whisper startled Ben from his thoughts. He jerked his hand away from his aching shaft. “I’m still awake.”

“Do you mind if I come in?”

“I thought you weren’t coming.” Ben couldn’t hide the want in his voice.

“I don’t know if I’m coming or not, but if I’ve anything to say about it, you will be in a few minutes.” Ross pushed back the covers and gasped when he saw Ben’s cock protruding from the front of his boxers, the slit glistening in the lamplight. Nudging Ben gently with his knee, he crawled into the bed and before Ben knew what was happening, Ross engulfed the aching cock into his mouth feeling the cum start to pump onto his tongue as soon as he gently suctioned the shaft.

***

The sound of scratching and whining woke both men early the next morning. Both jumped out of bed and scrambled for clothes so they could let Freda out before it was too late.

Ben was the first to get into his boxers and headed to Ross’s bedroom to let the angry little dog out. She took off down the stairs in a tizzy and stood self-righteously at the back door.

“Ok, I’ll let you out if you won’t be angry with Ross and me.”

Freda ran out the door as soon as it opened and promptly peed on Ben’s boots that sat right outside the door on the patio. Ben couldn’t believe it, but laughed out loud which cause Freda to growl menacingly as she could manage at him.

“Get in here before you freeze. You can pout in front of the fire where it’s warm.” He shut the door and watched the little dog shake the snow from her fur onto the kitchen floor before continuing to the den to lie down on the rug in front of the fire.

Ross stood and watched Freda do her diva act for Ben and laughed when he saw her pee on the boots. When Ben turned and saw him standing behind him, they both tried to stifle their laughter at the little canine.

“Guess we’re in trouble. Look in the jar on the cabinet with the blue ribbon on it and get her a treat. That’ll soothe her ruffled feathers a little.” Ross pointed at the jar and began to make coffee for the two of them while Ben gave Freda a treat.

Both men stood at the counter and watched the coffee pot after Ben fed Freda her treat. She lay on the rug and eyed the two humans curiously as they watched the pot drip coffee, saying nothing to each other.

“I’ll go first.” Ben swallowed nervously. “I know I’m not very good at this sex thing, but I’m a quick learner...”

Ross put his finger to the other man’s lips. “Hush. Last night was the most beautiful night of my life. If I’d known I was going to get such a precious early Christmas present, I would’ve called off the party so I could enjoy it every night until Christmas, and every night to come.”

“Just remember, “I’m here for the party.” Ben laughed, thinking of their first night.

“Damn right you are and you’re going to stay here.”

Ben put his arms around Ross and whispered lovingly, “Merry Christmas.”

Thanks for reading and Happy Holidays to everyone at GA :)
Copyright © 2014 joann414; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 4
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

I loved it, Joann. You know I'm a sap for a good romance and this delivered in spades. Merry Christmas! :hug:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Beautiful and heart warming tale. Absolutely loved it Jo Ann!!! I can see Ben and Ross having a great life together. Great job evoking the feel of the mountain cold, the unsure weather, and the men's unsettled feelings. Really awesome. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/24/2014 09:47 AM, Valkyrie said:
I loved it, Joann. You know I'm a sap for a good romance and this delivered in spades. Merry Christmas! :hug:
Thanx hun. You know me. HEA and good things come to all. :P
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/24/2014 09:51 AM, Cole Matthews said:
Beautiful and heart warming tale. Absolutely loved it Jo Ann!!! I can see Ben and Ross having a great life together. Great job evoking the feel of the mountain cold, the unsure weather, and the men's unsettled feelings. Really awesome. :)
Thanx hun. I love writing sappy romance. You know that. Happily ever after.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/24/2014 02:12 PM, LitLover said:
Beautiful story. I love a good Christmas romance :-)
Thank you. I'm a sucker for romance and Christmas also. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/24/2014 05:26 PM, Suvitar said:
Such a lovely story! Just perfect reading for an early Christmas Eve morning
Glad you enjoyed it! thank you :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

You're right, definitely sappy! LOL

But I must admit that in spite of that I still enjoyed it very much.

Good Job!

 

Carlos

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/25/2014 01:11 AM, Carlos Hazday said:
You're right, definitely sappy! LOL

But I must admit that in spite of that I still enjoyed it very much.

Good Job!

 

Carlos

Thank you! It's nice to be sappy sometimes. Even you:P
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Aww. That was a really sweet tale Jo. Loved the older younger thing and how they handled everything. As a dog owner I completely understood. :lol:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..