Jump to content
    Kia Zi Shiru
  • Author
  • 1,606 Words
  • 1,060 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Black Sheep Part 3 - 4. Chapter 4

I sigh, shoving papers aside. Work was so tedious when I’d rather be with Vic or Adam, but I have a job to do and there won’t be much time for it when Kev comes home from school. I lean back, stretching, when I see something in the garden. Marie is standing in the back gate, her movements, slow, unsure.
I open the back door to greet her and she looks up in surprise. Our eyes meet for a second before she quickly looks away.
“What are you doing here?” I step outside, walking up to her as Marie comes closer.
“I need to talk to you.” She keeps her eyes downcast.
“I don’t think I want to know what you have to say. I’m tired of your lies.” I cross my arms.
“I’m not here about that. I’m really sorry about those rumours, I didn’t realise they would spin out of control like that, but I’m not here because of that.”
“Then why are you here?”
“I think I know what happened to Jack.” She falls quiet, her eyes on the floor.
I stare at her for a while and then let our a deep breath. “I think we better talk about something like that inside.” I motion for her to follow me.
I walk back into the house, quickly gathering the papers and putting them aside. I was going to have to try to work on those after I picked up Kevin probably.
Marie sits on one side of the table and I sit down on the other.
I sigh. “Why are you coming to me and aren’t you going to the police immediately?”
“Like they would ever believe me. Jack’s parents don’t even want to get the fact this is a hate crime into the open. I’d have nothing to show for that I’m telling the truth.”
“Then why me? Why not Steve or Sarah?”
“Because Jack was not the intended victim, Vic was.”
I stand, walking around the kitchen, moving around stuff, trying to process what I just heard. Vic had been the one they were after? “How do you know who they were after?” My voice wavers, not wanting to think of the possibilities this implied.
“Because someone asked them to beat Vic up.” Marie almost whispers.
It must be someone we know, someone who knew Vic. Who would do this, who would ask a group of guys to beat up a kid? I gasp. Dave? Did Dave want Vic dead? He wouldn’t do that, would he?
“Anne?” Marie walks up to me and touches my shoulder. “Do you know who it could be? You look so pale.”
“I’ve got an idea.” I whisper. “But that person would never put Vic in this much danger. Or at least I thought he never would.” I rub my face, hiding behind my hands.
“A man?” Marie asks quietly.
“Yes.”
“A bit older, early twenties?”
“Yes, how would you know?” I turn around and stare at Marie.
“Just a normal guy, not goth? Bit taller and bulkier than Vic?”
“How do you know?”
“I think I saw him. I walked past him, but that was before I found Vic. I thought he was a genuinely happy person. He was walking away from Jack and the other guys. He must have seen it and he was still smiling.”
“Why didn’t you say something before?”
“Because, I don’t know. I didn’t remember this guy until just now. I thought they had met the guy way before they saw Jack, but maybe not.”
“You need to tell the police what you know.” I start pacing the kitchen, trying to figure out what we can do.
“Then what? They won’t tell a thing and it’s not like he could be charged with anything but hate speech.”
I stop in my tracks and turn around. “Who are they? How do you know all this?” I stalk to her and grab her arm. “How do you know all this?”
Marie looks away from me, her voice barely above a whisper. “Because one of them is my ex. I broke up with him when I found out what he did. I didn’t know he was like this.”
I immediately let Marie go. “What else do you know?”
“Not much. Honestly!”
“You need to tell the police. It’s the least you can do for Jack.”
“Maybe I can call it in anonymously?” Marie steps back her face scrunched up in concentration. “Maybe I can only tip them off. I don’t want to get in the middle of all this.”
“Tough luck. Your boyfriend-”
“Ex-boyfriend.”
“Your ex-boyfriend beat up the guy that used to be your best friend. You are in the middle of this, if you want it or not. As far as I know they haven’t caught any of the guys who did it yet. You owe it to Jack.” I look at the clock, I’m not gonna make it to pick up Kevin from school today. I look at Marie, she looks so lost and scared. I rather go with her to the police station then let her go on her own. “Okay, give me a second. I’m going to make a call and after that I will bring you to the station so you can tell them what you just told me.”
I turn around and am about to call my grandparents when I hear “thank you.”
I turn back, my eyes hard. “I’m not doing it for you. I’m doing this for Jack and his family. If you hadn’t spread those rumours this would never have happened in the first place. Now get in the car.”

Yelling wakes me up and as I try to sit up the world spins violently. I groan and lie back down. Who is being so loud? How can anyone be so loud at this time of the night? The voice sounds male and I try to wreck my brain who it can be. It’s only Mum and me in the house right now. Why is there a male voice in the house? This isn’t right.
A hand touches my shoulder. “Are you okay?”
I recognise that voice, Steve! What is Steve doing in my room?
“I’m out of here! Ever since that thing with her brother you want to be with her more than you want me.” Eric’s voice seems to get further away until a door slams.
I try to open my eyes again when I catch a glimpse of Steve looking after Eric, but he is still at my side. I quickly close my eyes, the spinning is still going on.
I grab Steve’s hand and squeeze it for a second. “Go after him. I’m sorry for messing up your date. I think I drank too much.”
“You can say that alright, you reek of alcohol.” Steve’s voice doesn’t sound angry, just sad.
“Go after him! Don’t let him get away, I know you love that guy.”
Steve squeezes my hand before I hear him leave the room.
I sit up, keeping my eyes closed, and check if I actually have everything on me. I pull out my phone to call Mum when someone takes it from me.
“Don’t call her. You’re still drunk, I don’t think you want your mum to see you like this.” Sarah holds a cold glass against my hand and I take it from her. “Try to sober up first before you do anything you might regret later.”
I feel the bed move as Sarah sits next to me.
“Can you open your eyes?”
I attempt to shake my head but quickly stop when it makes me nauseous.
“I’m sorry if I got Steve in trouble. Talking about regretting things. I don’t even remember how I got here.” I take a sip from the cool glass.
“Don’t worry about it. Something must be really wrong for you to get this drunk. I’m just glad you came here.”
We hear the front door slam and quick footsteps coming our way.
“How are you feeling?” Steve whispers as he puts his hands on my knees and kneels in front of me.
I can’t see him, but Steve’s voice sounds different, really down and it is my fault. Tears start running down my cheeks.
“I’ll move so you can sleep here. I’m so sorry I messed up your date.” I blabber, tears flowing, my words slurring, the alcohol enhancing my emotions.
“Don’t be sorry. You stay here. We’ll talk when you’ve sobered up.” Steve pushes me down sideways in the bed as I feel how Sarah takes the glass from me and hands me a towel.
“Where are you going to sleep then?” I grab Steve’s hand and try to pull him close.
“I’ll be sleeping on the couch. It’s not a problem.” Steve softly tries to get away from me, which makes me cry harder.
“But I took your bed. This is your bed. You should sleep in it. Not me. I’ll move to the couch.” I try to push myself up but Steve stops me.
“No, you stay here. It’s okay. I don’t mind sleeping on the couch.”
“Really?”
“Yes, really. Now, try to get some more sleep. We’ll talk in the morning.” I feel him caress my face before he walks out of the room and closes the door softly behind him. He is such a good guy.
I turn my head and catch a whiff of his scent. I bury my face in his pillow and sniff again. Oh, nice.
Sleep takes me over fast as I feel calm and protected by Steve.

Copyright © 2012 Kia Zi Shiru; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..