Jump to content
    Kiltie69
  • Author
  • 6,185 Words
  • 1,088 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

You never know - 2. Chapter 2

The night is young, the lads are out on the town. Stuart and Cam have talked now they have to catch up with the rest of the guys.
Ive use some colloquial speech in this again and a few words that wont be familiar. The glossary should help to clear it up.
Also there is a fair bit of swearing it this chapter, We Scots can make a trooper blush at times.

The Courier “Part 2”

 

The two of them arrived at the West Kirk, and on entering, found John in a booth and the rest of the lads at the bar. The place was packed. Cam noted the look John's face; total dejection. So he headed towards the booth "This seat taken?"

John's response was barely audible above the general racket that was a Friday night. "No."

Cam slid in next to him, just as Stuart arrived with three drinks, placing them on the table. Cam was a little worried; John hadn't raised his head from where it hung. Stuart, picking up on the general feeling at the table, spoke, "Right you, Gavin says they fair tore into you at the bar. I told him things were ok and they are getting a round, then joining us. John, you’re my best mate, what you did scared me, but don't torture yourself." He paused, looking at Cam.

"John, I only just met you and I think you’re a fantastic bloke. Everything is gonna be ok." Cam reached out to pat John's back. Just as he did, John's head raised. His eyes were bloodshot; he looked at Stuart then at Cam. The two of them sat either side of the booth, facing each other. Finally in a quiet voice John said.

"Thanks, I’m a right tool fir sayin what a did. Stuart, please forgive me. Cam, you must think am a right rocket. Hurtin ma best mate like that. The guys made sure a knew what a did. What could o happint. I'm so sorry."

Standing, Stuart lent over the table pulling his best friend into a hug. "Yes you’re a rocket, and a right numpty. Yi know fine well I wouldn't stay pissed at yi. Come're."

Cam sat watching the exchange, and smiled. Just as the two parted, the rest of the lads arrived bearing more drinks. Gavin, a tall lanky redhead, handed out three tall glasses with an amber liquid in it. "As you three needed to chat, ah thought it best to forgo the booze this round. So here’s some Bru instead." Cam smiled as he recognised it, Scotland's national soft drink, Irn Bru.

The guys crammed into the booth, two had to pull chairs over to sit at the table end. Once everyone was sorted the questions started. "So you two sorted?" "When's the weddin?" The guys even apologised to John for their treatment at Billy's. Cam sat answering the barrage with a smile and a laugh. Stuart's friends were a great bunch of lads, he liked them. John was a bit subdued still, but slowly returning to his carefree self.

The evening passed quickly and all too soon there was a clang from the last order’s bell.

"Jesus fuck, that thi time, we better get our arses ti the station or wi'll miss oor train. An' wi never got a burd either," Gavin slurred.

The guys downed their drinks and gathered their stuff. Cam watched Stuart, smiling. He had enjoyed the night. Could he call it a date? Probably not. Everyone got up and headed for the exit. This movement sparked some hurried dashes to the loo.

"Shift it guys, we are gonna miss the last train," Stuart shouted, looking first at his watch then at Cam. "Thanks for joining us, I had a great night, all things considered. The guys think you’re great, I think you’re great." He was interrupted by the return of the lad who had gone to the toilet. "Cam how long to get to the station from here?"

"About 10 minutes."

Stuart cursed, "We'll miss our train. Damn it."

Cam thought a second. "There's a night bus leaving for Glasgow in ten minutes. That's the bus station over there."

"Bus it is then. Right guys, we are gettin the bus hame.."

The group set off the short distance to the bus station. Cam, walking to the left of Stuart, had started to feel a little sad. It was time to say goodbye. "John, guys, it was good to meet you all. I have really enjoyed tonight." Turning to Stuart, Cam smiled. "Stuart, here." He passed a small card to Stuart.

Stuart looked at it and smiled, then offered his hand. Cam readily took it and as he shook he could feel the gentle squeeze Stuart gave it. He then turned and joined the guys in the queue, which was already boarding. Cam stood and watched, then waved as the guys all waved at him. As the bus moved round the corner, Cam felt his heart sink a little. He turned and headed home.

-----------

"So Stuarty boy you gonna call him?" John sat in the seat next to Stuart. The rest of the group had spread out about the bus. "Ah really like him Stuarty, he's a gid guy. You like him, more than any other ave see yi chase."

Stuart sat staring out the bus window, watching the dark emptiness pass by, much as he felt right now. He could see his face reflecting back at him, he could see the sadness in his eyes. He could also see John looking, worriedly, over his shoulder.

"Stuarty, I'm sorry a said about yi being gay."

Stuart turned to look at John, smiling. "John, forget it, I forgive you. What you did was not the best thing, but it may have helped me more than you know." Stuart hugged his mate and they sat talking about what had happened throughout the day.

-----------

Cam had gotten home without incident. He had had a quick bite to eat and some water and was now sitting in bed reviewing his evening. All was well. He knew Stuart was gay, and Stuart knew about him. Now he just had to wait. He turned out his light and settled to sleep, wondering what Stuart was doing. His dreams were filled with what could be.

----------

Cam woke slowly, his head muzzy but not sore. He lay staring at his ceiling. He was now on holiday and really should think about what to do for the next two weeks. His mind wondered through possibilities and he decided he would look at deals for city breaks, London, Berlin, maybe even a trip through to Edinburgh, as the Festival was on. He would get up, breakfast then surf for any deals.

Having showered and eaten, Cam sat watching the drivel that was Am TV. God was he glad he was out by now normally. It was then he heard a noise, his phone vibrating. He was off like a shot, picking up his phone. He turned it on; three messages. Two were from Kal. The third was an unknown number. He felt like a teen again, granted then he would have been waiting for a call on the house phone or a letter. He keyed in his unlock code to see the messages. Ignoring the two from Kal, he clicked the unknown. His heart sank as it opened and he read it.

It was a spam text. He released a sigh, only then realising he had held his breath. He put the phone done and went to get his cup of tea. He couldn't believe how he was behaving, damn it he was 44; not 18.

--------

Cam hit the enter button, he had just booked 5 days in Edinburgh, Friday through Tuesday. As he hit the shut down the Pc, a noise triggered a thought. Oh shit. Kal. He lifted his phone and found another message from Kal. Opening the first, it was Kal asking about an order. The second started his blood pumping.

Uncle Cam, that guy you went off with last night came in. He is coming back in an hour.

As he went to check the third his phone rang, scaring the life out of him.

The display read, "the Shop".

He hit accept "Kal, what's up?"

"Uncle Cam, that guy Stuart has been in. I can see him in the square, on a bench. You better get down here. He looks, well, he looks lost."

Cam was grinning like the Cheshire Cat, as he thought of what to do. "Ok, I’ll be there in twenty minutes. If he comes back, tell him. Ok! "

Kal laughed, "Uncle Cam has it bad, you better hurry. Oh and one other thing. I think you two are cute together." All Cam heard was laughter as the phone went dead.

That wee fucker, just wait. You better never bring a date over, or the pictures come out.

As Cam changed from his lounging shorts and T-shirt to jeans and a shirt, he wondered why Stuart hadn't called.

17 minutes 10 seconds later, Cam entered the shop. Kal looked up and smiled then pointed to the Gallery room. Cam gave him his look, then move through the arch. In front stood Stuart, his back to him. "You looking to buy or just browsing?"

Stuart spun, nearly knocking over a vase. "Jesus, don't sneak up like that." He smiled. "Hi, so bet you’re wondering why I'm here. Well first, I lost your number. I had it in my pocket and between the bus and home I must have pulled it out accidentally. Second, well, second John’s to blame. We sat chatting on the bus last night and I felt, well I felt lost. Christ, I'm 38 and if no sex in a while means I get back virgin status, call me a virgin."

They heard a snicker coming from the shop. Cam smiled as Stuart blushed. Holding up his hand to stop Stuart from saying more, he called, "Ok Dumbo, go flap yir lugs elsewhere and get lunch. When you get back you’re going to inventory the shop as a punishment for eavesdropping." He laughed as first he heard "Ok Uncle Cam", followed by "What, that takes forever."

Cam moved to the door and flipped the sign to closed, then locked the door. Stuart stood watching. "Don't worry, I won't punish him. Come on through, I'll makes us a brew." They moved through the shop to a small stockroom that doubled as an office and a lunchroom. "Coffee, Tea.....or me?" Cam left the last unspoken. "A water would be fine."

Cam headed to the shop fridge and grabbed a bottle of water and a Soda then rung them through the till. Walking back into the room, he found Stuart where he had been left, staring into space. Handing him the water he indicated where he should sit. "So where were we? A yes Stuart the virgin reborn." Smiling, he looked at the blushing big man. So many opposites. Cam could feel his heart opening.

"Yeah a big-arsed virgin, that's me. If it wasnae for John, I'd truly be a virgin, with men anyway." Stuart paused as he saw Cam's evil smile. "Jesus, no. Ewwww not John. Christ that's like doing ma bruther. Eww. Cam Paterson, you are one sick puppy." He then smiled. "More of a bear I'd say actually, one hot, but sick bear."

Cam started to laugh, watching the sparkle in Stuart’s eyes dance as they watched each other. "So this Sick Bear wants to know how John got involved.” Cam felt his heart melt as first

Stuart blushed then smiled. "Oh he made me go out and club. Christ he even came with me to some of the bars. He's a game guy. Well back to why I'm here. Last night we got tae talkin. John announced he thought you were great, ‘If ah wiz gay Stuarty, I'd be aw o'er him like a rash. Then he started getting serious. ‘Stuart yir no gettin younger yi need to fin someone an settle. Cams a good start, and yi never know what will happen. So sort oot a date. Well I got home, only ti discover I'd lost yir number. I didn't sleep too good then I thought, ‘hey I'm on holiday so let’s go on a trip.’ I got up, sorted out some stuff, jumped in the car and headed south, to here. I forgot your nephew was working. I felt really weird and awkward asking him to contact you."

Cam looked at him, studying him, noting all he could. Stuart sat, eyes slightly downcast Cam thought it was cute as hell. A man that looked like Stuart – well built, muscular, tattooed and was shy. Christ he thought he was bad, but Stuart was verging on demure. What a man of opposites.

"Stuart." Cam resisted the urge to reach and lift his chin up. "Stuart, I'm glad you came down. Ever since I first saw you, I've been, I've been distracted. Then I got the chance to spend time with you and I really didn’t know what to do. I loved last night; your mates are great. They think the world of you. John, now he is special, he wants to see you happy. Then he goes and blurted out what he did and I felt I had a chance. I was worried for you both when you went off. I felt bad listening in, but glad in some ways. I learned a lot about you, a lot I like. Then when you got on the bus last night I felt weird, sick in the pit of my stomach, but not from drinking. Like you, it's been awhile, hell it's been forever. I've almost forgotten how to ask people out, so Mr....you know I only know your first name?"

"It's Mirren."

"Mr Stuart Mirren, nice. Well Mr Mirren, would you like to go for a drink or a coffee? A movie maybe? Maybe just a walk?"

"A walk sounds good, a walk along the beach. With a hot guy." Stuart stood and offered Cam his hand to help him up. Cam readily took it and was pulled up into a hug.

The two men could feel the heat rising as they slowly melted into each other. Cams head started to tilt as he drew in for a kiss from Stuart's inviting lips and mouth. Their lips met, both men felt a zing and heard bells. Someone was ringing the shop doorbell. Then Cam’s phone started, he pulled back.

"Fuck, I'm gonna kill whoever that is." He looked at his phone, seeing it was a text from Kal. It was him at the door. "I'm gonna kill him. It's Kal, he needs let in."

Cam headed to open the door, listening to Stuart's laugh as he did. "Kal, where're your keys?"

"They’re behind the desk. You chased me out before I could get them. Did I interrupt something?"

Cam blushed and Stuart started to laugh so hard he had to wipe at his eyes to clear the tears.

"Uncle Cam, why you all red? Will I be calling you Unky Stuarty soon?" This caused Stuart to spray the mouthful of water he had just taken.

"You, boy, are gonna pay, just wait. Come on Stuart, before I get done for murder."

"See you Kal. I think I should take uncle Cam out to.....calm him down." Stuart shook Kal's hand and left laughing.

"Uncle Cam, I like him. Dad will hate him. Enjoy yourself."

Cam hugged his nephew, then, as he drew back, he slapped his head playfully. "Behave, and thanks." He left the shop, finding Stuart staring into space still laughing.

He looked at Cam, smiling when he heard him. "So did you punish him soundly? It’s clear he loves you to bits and is protective of you."

"Yeah, he is a great lad. Cheeky as hell but good all the same. He seems to have taken a shine to you too. He tends to get defensive if he doesn't like someone. He seems relaxed with you, hence all the cheek. And no, I did not punish him. So shall we go wander?"

They headed off towards the beach front, passing the Sheriff court, an imposing building built in the 1800s. The day wasn't bad, high, broken clouds kept the sun mostly at bay. As they walked, they talked about their lives, and every so often Cam would highlight a point of interest; a house, a street. Stuart loved this time together.

They walked till a river blocked the path. Only then did they realise they had walked the 3 mile length of the beach. Laughing, they turned back and continued the conversation.

As they approached the court again, Cam slowed. "Stuart, thank you for today, I've loved it."

Stuart's head was down as he spoke, Cam could see the red colour his cheeks. "Cam. Cam, I've something to ask you. But I need to do it somewhere where there aren't as many folk around. Can we go back to the shop for a moment?"

"Sounds interesting." Cam smiled and looked at his watch. "Kal will be locking up likely, so we can have the office to ourselves."

They headed off and minutes later stood at the door. Inside the shop they could see Kal, jacket on gathering things together. On spotting them, he opened the door "Hi uncle, hi Stuart. Have fun? You were away aaaggggeeeess." The cheeky smile he gave them caused Stuart to instantly go crimson.

"The walk did us the power of good. Get lost now; I’ll lock up. Thank you. Oh and Kal?"

"Yes?"

"I love you."

It was the teen’s turn to blush. They hugged and parted. Kal shook Stuart's hand and left.

Cam stood and watched Stuart. The colour, which was endearing, was still in his cheeks. How could such a hot and well-built guy look so cute when blushing? Cam remembered his gran saying to him once about the blush of innocence, the virginal blush. If it was such a thing, Stuart had just shown him it. "So we are alone and unlikely to be interrupted." The blush which had lessened to a subtle pink was now flaming red again. Jesus he embarrasses easy. "Want a tea or coffee?"

Stuart shook his head. He looked at Cam, there was hesitation in his movement. Then suddenly without a word, he grabbed Cam's face with both hands and drew him into a kiss. It was a kiss that had Cam gasping for breath, toes curling and leaving him hard as titanium. All too soon they were parting, Stuart spluttering an apology for his "attack".

"Fuck me, where did that come from? Jesus, that was... Oh fuck, do it again. That was amazing." Cam struggled to finish a sentence.

Stuart looked at him to see if he was pulling his leg. Then he leaned in and kissed him again, slow and hard.

Cam responded, his arms snaking round Stuart, feeling the strength in his shoulders. They parted for breath. "So are you asking me out Mr Mirren? If so, the answer’s yesh...."

Cam didn't quite get to finish, his yes muffled, as he was again embraced and kissed.

When they finally parted, Cam could only smile. With the look on Stuart's face, he could do nothing less. "So what now Mr Mirren? You want to get a bite to eat, or have you other plans?"

Stuart, who had taken a step back and was now leaning against the till point, looked at Cam for a moment. His eyes were sad for the first time since they had met earlier. "I hate to say this, as I'm hungry. But, I have a family gathering tonight, I can't not be there. Can, can we see each other through the week? I'm off till a week Monday."

Now Cam was the dejected one. "I'm off to Edinburgh for a few days next week. Back late afternoon Friday."

They looked at each other for a bit then both spoke at the same time. "We coul...." Pausing to laugh, Cam held out his hand, indicating for Stuart to continue.

"We could always meet tomorrow. I know this is going fast, but it feels right."

"I was going to say we could always see if I can upgrade the room. You come with me to Edinburgh. I'm already in a double, but paying single occupancy. I could get a twin. Yes I know, not quite two days of knowing each other and I want to have you on holiday. Oh damn, I mean go on holiday with you." It was Cam's turn to blush and Stuart could only laugh.

"Tell you what, I'm gotta head, but I'll call you later. If that's ok? I'll let you know about Edinburgh. The thought of getting to know you, closely, is clouding my judgement. What with you standing right here." He leaned in and pecked Cam’s cheek then stood to gather himself. "Oh. I need your number, I lost the card."

Cam gave it to him then kissed him. "Till later, take care getting up the road." The look he gave Stuart told the real story.

They left the shop, Cam walking Stuart to his car, waving him off. He turned to start walking home, his mind full off thoughts. He rubbed his hand over his face, realising as he did, he could still smell Stuart. The effect was almost instant. He slipped his hand carefully into his pocket then headed home, smiling; he now had plans for tonight.

----------

It was almost ten in the evening when Cam’s phone rang. He was on it instantly. "Hello?"

"Hi Unc. Did you two have fun?" Kal's voice sang in his ear.

"What do you want, trouble? Yes, WE had fun. We walked, talked and then he went home."

"Liar." He heard Kal's laugh. "You two were locked in the shop, winchin. I forgot to lift my book reader so came back; I saw you through the door, so I left it a bit till you had gone."

"You little shit." Cam couldn't keep the laughter from his tone; he loved his nephew like his own and this was him to a tee. "So what did you learn, Mr Peeping Tom? Eh? I'm not quite out the game yet, am I?"

Cam could hear the gears in Kal's mind turning as he fought to respond. "You looked very happy, so did he. I'm glad you two met. It's about time you were dating again. Surprised you remember how."

"You cheeky shit. I'm hanging up now. I have things to do."

"I bet!" Then all Cam heard was a cheeky laugh.

"You will pay my young friend; trust your Uncle on that one. Ok, night for now, love you."

"Night Uncle Cam, love you too."

The line went dead. As Cam went to put down his phone he felt it vibrate, the first note was leading to the second as he hit answer. "Hello?"

"Oh god, save me please."

"What? What's up, who is this?"

"It's Stuart, save me from this please. My family want me to sing for them. All I want to do is get home and.....eh....forget that bit. I just want to be anywhere but here."

Cam was happy with the little slip; was Stuart thinking about him? "What? You not having fun? Here is me sitting in ma briefs deciding what to pack for Edinburgh. Should I get boxers or jocks? Should I take my kilt? So many options."

"You teasing bastard," was the laughter filled response. Then in the background, another voice. Cam heard a few muffled words, but could quite make them out. Then suddenly a female voice.

"John, stop teasing Stuart, he is needed to sing. Brian and his Uncle Duncan want him to sing Loch Lomond. John......." The voice was muffled again then the line went dead.

Cam stood staring at the phone. He decided to get a tea just as it started ringing again. This time the caller was somewhere outside, the noise of the wind across the mouthpiece clear. "Cam, I'm sorry, that was Mum. She thought it was John. Now she wants to know who was teasing me. I had to leave the house so I could call you back. Cam, I'm not out to my parents. I'm a 38 year old guy that's still in the closet to his mum and dad. God if they find out."

"Stuart calm down. So how have you made it this far as a single guy? Surely they suspect?"

"No they don't. There are reasons, but I can't talk about them the now. Mum’s calling for me; they are hunting for me. Look, I gotta go. Can I see you tomorrow? Take you out for a meal to discuss this and well discuss where we go from here? I want to go to Edinburgh, but you need to know some things first."

Cams brain was now in overdrive; Christ he is married. Only thing it could be. I'm in lust, yes and a lot of love, with a married closet case. "Ok, I can come up there if you want or we could meet, say, halfway? How about we meet at Kilwinning? I can get the train there, then head to Largs. We can talk there."

"Sounds like a plan to me. Ok, I'll see you tomorrow. Night for now."

"Night Stuart." The phone rang off and Cam could only stare at it. It buzzed as a text came in, which read, Looking forward to tomorrow. Let's meet midday at Kilwinning station then get train to Largs. X. Cam was now in a quandary what to do. He had rules and married men were against them, but this one, if married, was a rule breaker.

--------

The night didn't go well for either of the men. Cam's mind raced till eventually he fell asleep. Wondering through all the possible problems that Stuart was going to discuss in a few hours. He always came back to, he is married.

Stuart was sick with worry. His parents would now find out about him. He tossed and turned and as he finally started to fall over, his alarm went off. Cursing, he struggled up and headed to freshen up.

--------

Kilwinning station was almost empty as Cam stepped off the Ayr to Glasgow train. Having exchanged texts, he knew Stuart was on the next Largs train arriving in 5 minutes. He crossed to the third platform and joined the young couple obviously heading home after a night out and the Granny that was heading home with her shopping. The train would be heavin, he thought with a smile.

The first three carriages passed and all were empty. The fourth was about half full. The fifth was actually full and amongst them was Stuart.

--------

Sitting there, side by side, Cam could feel the heat from Stuart's body. It was affecting his thought processes. They exchanged good mornings and started to chat as the train flowed through the countryside. By the third stop, their carriage was almost empty; they could talk privately more or less.

"Cam I need to explain something."

Cam’s heart sank at the wording; he felt a familiar dread. Was this over before it really started? Stuart continued. "This is gonna be difficult. Ok, how to start? Hmmm."

There was an all too long pause. Cam's gut was twisting, waiting for him to continue.

"Ok, ok. I'm gay. I have known I was since I was a youth, but I hid it, hid it so well. I dated girls, even slept with them, but always wanted guys. I got real close to one girl and through stupidity I got her pregnant."

Cam watched Stuart, saw the battle raging in his head, saw the look of utter terror as he spoke. His heart was melting; he just wanted to hold him, comfort him. He settled with a gentle, "Go on."

"Well, our parents are religious so we were pushed into marriage."

There it was: married and in the closet...Cam wanted off the train now, his caring thoughts transmuting into thoughts of anger. But he sat.

"I need to tell you everything. We were 18 when we wed. By 24 I was a nut job, all my waking hours I wanted to sleep with a guy. Mary and I, my wife, by then hadn't slept together in over 2 years. I found out that she was seeing someone on the side. But I couldn't do anything. John was there and helped keep me sane. Then we went out one night and....well I got off with some bloke. That night Mary and I agreed we would split. It was hard, Ruairidh, my son, was six by then. We agreed to live together, as in the same house, but lead our own lives. Only rule was no one was to be brought home. That worked well for a while, then Mary met her new man and wanted me gone. Ruairidh was an average teen by then so he got stroppy, not talking to us. It wasn't easy leaving them. But I did, stayed with John till I found my feet, then got a place of my own. Ruairidh is 20 now and at Dundee University. We are now best of mates, to be honest. I do what I can to help him and we try to see each other most weekends.”

Cam sat, watching Stuart closely, watching the changes in his face as he talked the worry, the sadness, and grief, then as he talked about his son pride and joy. "Does he know why you two split yet? Does he know about you?" Cam watched as another emotion flashed across Stuart's expressive face.

"Yes, Mary told him one night when she was pissed at me. Didn't go down well. He called me everything that day and didn't speak to me for a month or so. I still haven't forgiven Mary for that." The sadness gave way to a slight smile as he spoke. "I got the last laugh, I think though. He now accepts me and things are great, Mary struggles with him. Too like me it seems, though as far as I can tell he is into girls, not guys. So now you know. My family are not the most accepting. So I still try to keep things quiet, where I can. I'm now divorced and living my life the way I like it." Stuart sat back with a sigh, as during the talk, he had lent forward onto the small fold down table.

Cam could only watch him as his mind raced. Then as his thoughts caught up, a smile started to spread across his face. He is divorced, free; I'm not breaking my rules.

"You ok? Cam, talk to me please."

"I'm ok, just thinking. Thank you for telling me all this. It explains a few things." As he spoke, the train announced their imminent arrival at Largs. "Look, I still want to go out with you, Stuart. Christ, I would have broken a lot of rules and still done it, had you not told me all that. Let's enjoy our day."

The train arrived and they headed out of the station. A quick discussion led to them heading to the beach front. Like Ayr there was a promenade, but Largs’ beach was a steep, sloping pebble beach. They walked along the front talking. Cam asked about Ruairidh and let Stuart talk. It was clear the pride he had in his son as they spoke. They had turned and were heading back when Stuart exclaimed, "Know what I want to do right now?"

"No, but if it means getting arrested for exposure, forget it," Cam said smiling cheekily.

Stuart just caught his arm and pulled him off the pathway and down the one foot drop to the pebble beach. "I wanna skip stones. It's a bit choppy, but that will add to the challenge. God I haven't done this since Rue was a bairn. We would come here at weekends, skip stones, play the puggies, eat Ice cream and finish the day with fish and chips."

"I see you did much the same as we did when we came here," Cam added, picking up some flat stones as he followed Stuart to the water’s edge. He stood and watched Stuart’s first throw, admiring the flow of muscle and clothing. Then burst out laughing as Stuart’s first stone plopped into a wave and that was it.

"Timing my friend, it's all about timing." Cam threw his first stone it hit behind a wave and skipped 4 times before it struck the next wave. "See?" Then he childishly stuck out his tongue. As he started to laugh, Stuart drew and threw again, managing the same four skips. He looked at Cam, his eyes dancing with mischievousness. "Ok best of five. The loser buys ice creams."

"You’re going down Mr Mirren, I can taste it already."

Both men started to laugh as they took turns throwing. To anyone watching, they would have thought it was two large kids throwing stones, the giggling laughs and taunts were just the type you hear from any youth.

By the last throw, it was even, Stuart threw and managed to get six skips in. He whooped and laughed. "Beat that one Cammy boy. Hmm what flavour will I have..?”

Cam watched his man, then turned to face the water. The waves were coming in pretty fast, but at an angle. He smiled and threw. Skip....skip...skip...skip..five..six...seven..and a semi one..

He turned and bowed to Stuart, who was looking on incredulously, "You cheated, you threw down wind." Then collapsing in laughter, "Why didn't I think of that?"

Before Cam could react, he was engulfed in a warm embrace. Over, all too soon, as Stuart pulled back and guiltily looked round. Cam wished it had lasted longer, but the day was young. They both turned, smiling, and headed along the beach towards the town. They chatted as they walked until a rumble interrupted them. Cam glanced at Stuart, who was suddenly red. Oh I love how he blushes. God he is so cute when it happens. "Sorry my belly needs filling, I skipped breakfast."

Cam felt bad suddenly. "You should have said. Come on, let's get a late lunch, my treat. How about Nardinis? We can grab a bite, then get that ice cream you owe me."

Stuart smiled at the wink Cam flicked his way, then nodded agreement. Soon they stood outside Nardinis. Cam saw a table outside, near a side door and head towards it. The day was bright, so some alfresco lunch overlooking the Firth of Clyde and the isle of Millport, in such good company was all he needed. Lunch was quickly ordered and soon both men were silent except for the sounds of eating.

"Cam, I know it’s short notice, but could I join you in Edinburgh? I need away for a day or so. I was worried that my earlier confession would upset the applecart. But I see you are a forgiving soul. I want to spend time getting to know you. It's fast I know, but hey, we aren't getting any younger."

There was a bark of laughter then, "Speak for yourself. Let's see if I can upgrade, or is it down grade?" He pulled out his phone and checked his booking, writing down some details on his napkin. Then he dialled the hotel. A quick conversation and he was sorted. Smiling, he hung up. "Sorted."

Stuarts smile said it all; Cam melted. How could someone of Stuart's build and general looks be so sweet? He was charming and loveable, a bit of a soft touch. All this in such a rugged package. Guess you just never know. They sat chatting about their childhoods, memories of days out with parents and friends. Cam envied Stuart a little, still having his parents. His own were long dead 27 and 17 years for his dad and mum respectively. It hadn't been easy at times, but he had survived.

His thoughts were interrupted by Stuart. "You ready for that Ice Cream? You wanting a cone, maybe a 69, shit sorry, a 99. Or you wanting a dessert." Stuart's face flared and Cam just smiled.

"Now that was some Freudian slip, Mr Mirren. What's on your mind? I'm ready for dessert, but I think I’ll just have a cone. Maybe a double. Let's get this paid for and go see what they have."

They headed to the till and Cam paid. They then headed outside to the ice cream counter. Soon they were walking back towards the station, cones in hand. Both men smiling like little kids. The day had gone well. But all good things need to end, for the moment anyway. They decided to head home, packing was required. The train journey was laced with talk of the plans. How Cam was travelling, bus; where and when they would meet, at the kissing couple statue in Buchannan Street Bus Station at 11 am. Soon the train was approaching Kilwinning. Stuart would stay on and Cam would leave to head to Ayr.

Well that's book One complete, Book two is in progress and will be up as soon as. As always please leave a review if you read the chapter. If you enjoy it hit the like. Thanks Kiltie
Copyright © 2014 Kiltie69; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I like the traditional go slow and get to know approach taken here by the guys. I'm sure they will gear things up a notch or two in Edinburgh for sure and then the truth will come out with Stu's folks. There is plenty of potential here, but we don't know if Stu can get a job transfer and be able to move in with Cam at the shop? I'm glad he's got a son too, it helps to normalise their relationship. Looking forward to the next events in their lives.:kiss:

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..