Jump to content
    kuragari129
  • Author
  • 3,532 Words
  • 1,886 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Life of Phoenix - 9. Max's Terror

Current Time: Keon has something he wants to tell Nix, but how will Nix react.
Past Time: Max meets Keon for the first time.

Current Time: Nix's POV

Man, I'm so glad that Peter Pan is over now. It's all fun and good until it takes over your life the last few weeks of the class. Now that it's done everyone can have their social lives back and have time for studying outside of the theater. It's a nice feeling.

Max has started hanging out with me a little bit. Mostly on our way from one class to another. It's been nice getting to know my old friend again. I learned that he's really into horror movies and spends a lot of his time playing sport video games.

Now, is such a time where class is ending, and Max would probably be in the hallway. When the bell went, I got up to leave but got blocked by Keon. “Will you listen for a minute?”

“No thanks.” I tried to get by him, but he continued to block me. “Excuse me; I'm trying to go to my next class.”

“It's lunch time right now.” Keon raised an eyebrow.

I rolled my eyes. “Keon, I need to go, can you move, please.”

“Why won’t you listen to me?”

“'Because I don't want to right now!” I yelled at him.

The teacher coughed from behind us. “Everything okay boys?”

“Yes,” we said in unison. I glared at Keon. “Well, I need to get my lunch, which means you two need to be on your way. Excuse me boys.” I took that opportunity to pass by Keon before he could do anything.

I thought I got a safe distance between him and me, but apparently I was wrong. Keon grabbed my arm and whipped me around. “Go away, Keon!”

“What's going on?” Max! I turned around again to see Max right behind me. This is awkward because you can't be like 'nothing, let's go'. Max would call my bullshit out right then and there!

“I'm trying to have a conversation with Phoenix.” At least he isn't calling me Nix anymore. To him, it may be a simple conversation but to me it's like committing suicide. Talking to him for longer than just one word makes my stomach want to hurl.

Max seemed confused. “Why won't you talk to him? Weren't you two a thing once?”

“Exactly why I don't want to talk to him.” I grabbed Max's wrist and tried to pull him away. He resisted me. Max, for whatever reason, couldn't take his eyes off Keon. “Max, can we go, please.”

“I actually want to know what he has to say to you.” Max pulled his arm back to his side.

“Really? Who cares, he's been trying to talk to me for a while now.”

Max looked directly at me. “And you haven't listened to a word he's said, have you?”

“No, he's been trying to get back with me.” Max didn't say anything. Why is it what he knows when I'm lying. “Okay, he hasn't flat out said it but I'm sure of it.”

“Just let him talk Nix. What's the harm?” God damn it, Max. I can't think of anything to say here. Like what do I say here? I can't just say what I want to say in public. It wouldn't be fair to either of us. “Go ahead, Keon, say what you want to say.”

Keon's eyes went back and forth from me to Max. I guess he decided it was okay to say what he wanted to say in front of me. “I just wanted to say that I wanted to be friends and wondered if we could hang out again sometime. It can be with people, it doesn't have to be just us.”

“I didn't realize that who was with us stopped you,” I growled back at him.

Keon's head dropped. “I'd rather have that conversation is private.”

“So would I, but we're in the middle of school right now.” He didn't move; his head still dropped in shame. “We can't hang out, even with people, until we have that conversation. And I'm not ready for it Keon.”

“What conversation?” Max was very confused. “What are you two even talking about?”

“We're talking about how we broke up,” I told him bluntly. “It was at the party at the end of the school year last year. I'm leaving it at that, let's go.” Once more I grabbed Max's arm and pulled him away.

School... any public place actually is not a good place for that conversation. It's going to get heated really fast, and that's just from my side. I have no idea what he's going to do, but I'm not ready for it.

 

Max's POV

I have decided today I'm going to hang out with Nix and Lyric at lunch. I have no idea how my jock friends are going to react, but I'm going to do it. Ever since just before school started this year... Nix has been on my mind. Like that day, he flew into my head and never left.

I mean, we used to hang out all the time. We used to be inseparable when we were younger. Then when I entered high school the friends, I made here would call me a baby for hanging out with Nix. He was only a year younger than me, but they would tell me to stop hanging out with a baby. So I did.

Here I am, though hanging out with Nix and company. “Seriously Max, how do you manage to get sleep?” Lyric was looking over my weekly schedule. It's quite filled up.

“It's pretty easy; you just get it done in class.” Lyric rolled her eyes. “It really is that easy.”

“Sure it is if you aren't the most popular girl in school.” Lyric moved her hair over her shoulder. You know that pretty girl thing to do.

“Ah ha! You wish!” Lacey walked up with a few of her girlfriends. “Why are you hanging out with these losers Max? You're better than them.” Lacey was a cheerleader type girl. She was self-proclaimed the prettiest girl in the school, and definitely the “queen” of the student body.

She thinks because I'm viewed as the “king” of the student body we should be together. The day I go out with her is the day I die. There is no way in hell I'm going to go out with a person who's that far up her own ass.

“Oh, sorry Wendy. I forgot about you and your not lead role.” Lyric just tried to sass her. And since its Lacey, it works.

“Whatever, want to be. I'm not here to talk to you.” She shoved her hand in Lyric's face. Lacey's face when Lyric went to bite her was... pure fright. Lacey then placed herself on the other side of me. “I was wondering what you were doing after the game.”

I shrugged. “I don't know, probably going to go to the after party.”

“By yourself!? No, that's unheard of!” Lacey's group acted all astonished. “You'll need company.”

“Lacey, I'm...”

She cut me off. “You can pick me up at 10, I'll be ready. Make sure you match green. See you later.” She waved as she walked away, her 'friends' following her.

Nix's face was priceless. “She needs a serious reality check. Are you going to pick her up?”

I shrugged. Lakota laughed. “Seriously Max, you're considering it?”

“If I don't she'll kill me.”

“And?” Cooper jumped out of nowhere. “Who cares what Lacey thinks, she's a nobody when it comes down to it.”

“Thanks, Cooper.”

“Anytime big bro.” Cooper patted me on the back.

Nix looked like he was thinking really hard. His eyes would go from looking at me to looking out the window. I know I made him promise to come to the game, but is he thinking of coming to the party? He's never been to a mainstream party... ever.

Just then the bell went and everyone scattered. Nix and I were the last to leave the table. I accidentally got in Nix's way. You know those moments where your paths cross, and you try and get out of each other’s way just to continue to be in the way.

Nix laughed once we did that twice. “You're a goof.”

“Oh ya!” Nix rolled his eyes. I just laughed at myself. We walked together towards our next class; they were close by. “So what were you thinking about at the table when Lacey left?”

“What? Nothing, I wasn't thinking of nothing.”

“That's a double negative.” Nix's face flushed right up. “So what were you thinking about?”

He sighed. “It's dumb...”

“And? It's can't be too dumb; you thought it. Mr. Straight A student.”

Nix got a shy smile on his face. “I thought maybe I should go to the party...”

“Really, Nix? When was the last time you were at a party?”

“Like almost a year ago... At the end of July.” Wait he's actually been to a party? “It's something I'd rather not talk about...”

“Why?” What happened to Nix at this party? How bad could it have been? WAIT! “Is it about Keon?”

Nix flinched. “I said I don't want to talk about it, Max!” He was quite stern this time. By that time, we had reached Nix's class, and he turned into the room. He stopped though and turned around. “I will tell you one day Max, I promise. For now just... I'll see you later.”

“Okay, see ya.” I guess I got to go through one more class before getting answers.

 

After driving Nix home, I set out on my task. I'm going to get some form of answers about this whole Pheon thing. God, did I just give their relationship a pet name? What's wrong with me?

Anyways, I made my way over to the neighborhood that Keon lives in and took a look around. Rumor has it that he walks home everyday to stay active. Rumor turned out to be true; he was walking up the street the same way I was facing.

I stopped my vehicle just in front of him; he stopped in his tracks. I hopped out and walked over to him. “Hey, Keon.”

He was looking at me wide-eyed. “Hey... Max.”

“So about lunch time... What were you trying to talk to Nix about?”

“I believe Phoenix said it quite clearly, he didn't want to talk about it with you.” So now he's going to be a good guy about this? Great...

I sighed. “I'm not asking Nix, though. I'm asking you.”

Keon got a sly smile on his face. “Max, you're going behind Nix's back on this. If you want what to know what happened, ask him. I'm sure he'll twist the truth about it like he always has.”

“Well then tell me your version of the truth then?”

Keon rolled his eyes. “I don't need to tell you anything.” I put my arm in front of him, pushing him back. “Seriously Max? You're going to use physical force?”

“Just answer me this: why won't Nix talk about it?”

“Because he's ashamed of his own actions.” Keon walked by me so quickly I couldn't react.

What could Nix have done that he's ashamed of? What's going on with Nix... well what was going on with Nix, I guess. I just got to wait for Nix to tell me then. That's going to be a long wait.

 

Past time: Grade 8

Another day in the young life of Phoenix. He spent much of his time looking after Braxton and hanging out with Keon. They had started to grow into the best of friends even after the gay porn incident.

On this day, though Max was staying at the Russell's place for a few days. Max's parents had to go out of town. He and his brother Cooper were placed in the care of Mr. and Mrs. Russell until their parent's return.

Nix was currently on his way to Keon's with Max in tow. “Keon is super cool! He's into games and stuff too!”

“Oh, cool.” Max continued following his friend, fairly uninterested in Nix's new friend. “Where did you meet him?”

Nix turned around. “While I was looking after Braxton he came to the park we were at.” Nix felt very excited for his old friend to meet his new one. He had hopes they would get along, and all be good friends together.

Max kept his eyes on the lookout for his high school friends. Afraid they would see him hanging out with a younger boy, a 'non high schooler.' His new friends had commonly jested towards the elementary school students and how they are to mature to hang out with them anymore. Nix continued on his way not noticing Max's conflict.

When they reached Keon's place, Nix spotted Keon looking through the window waiting for them. When Keon saw Nix, he disappeared until he reappeared in the doorway. “Hey, Nix!”

Max was caught off guard by someone else using the nickname he created for his friend. “I'm Max.” He waved to Keon.

“My name is Keon.”

That was when the door opened, Keon's mother called for her son. “Keon!” When she saw the three boys, she smiled. She recognized the eldest boy. “Hello, Maxwell.”

Max's eyes went wide. “Hello, Mrs. Stellar.” The younger boys giggled at Max's sudden posture change.

“I wasn't aware you knew Phoenix.”

Max began to blush. “He's been my best friend since elementary school, ma'am.”

Mrs. Stellar noticed the boy's awkwardness and didn't want to embarrass him further. “Oh, I see. Keon, be back for dinner or call me before 4.”

“Okay! See ya later mom!” And like that Mrs. Stellar closed the door waving to the boys. Keon turned to Max. “You go to the high school!”

“Ya, I do.” Max started to walk away from the Stellar home.

Nix was confused. “Wait, how do you know he goes to the high school?”

Keon laughed. “Cause my mom knows him. She's a secretary at the high school.” That cleared things up for Nix. The group of 3 made their way to the woods close by Keon's place.

The spot was Max's idea. Mostly cause it's secluded and has a less likely chance to encounter his other friends. But there are also tree houses and a creek within it. Nix told Keon about it, and he really wanted to go and see it.

The three boys laughed and bugged one another as they walked through the trees. When they got to the grounds, Max and Nix stared at the trees in awe. On several trees, there were different floors in trees. There were some with walls and a couple with ropes leading up to them. Most had makeshift ladders going up to the forts.

“Wow...” Nix was the first to speak. “This is amazing!”

“I told you!” Keon spoke proudly of his find. “It's so cool here; I'm so lucky I found it. Every time I've been here, no one else has shown up. It's probably been abandoned.” Keon skipped towards one of the forts.

Max looked around concerned. “Are you sure it's safe to be here? What about bears and other wild animals?”

“It's fine!” Keon confirmed with him. “The entire time I've been here there hasn't been a single bear. And I've been coming here for like a week now.” Max looked around still being cautious about everything.

Eventually, he got up on one of the platforms. “See its fine!” Nix called out to his friend.

“Ya, I guess.” The boys enjoyed their games and fantasies in the forts. Spending a few hours there fooling around as boys do.

After a while, they had decided they wanted to get food. They had settled on going to a local Tim Hortons for a bite. The closer they got to the edge of the woods the more nervous Max got. Afraid once again one of his friends would see him.

The entire route on the way to the store was clear. Even inside, there was no sign of his friends. It wasn't until they exited the shop when Max's high school friends were in sight. They had noticed Max come out first and then Nix and Keon behind him.

“Hey, Max!” One of them said. “Who are the losers?”

Nix lowered his gaze. Keon argued, “You don't even know us, you don't know if we're losers or not.”

The kid got a smug smile on his face. “I don't know you, meaning you're not in high school. Which in turn makes you a loser.”

Keon anger grew. “I'm going to be in it this year! So is Nix!”

The kids laughed at the boy's rage. “What kind of name is Nix? And who cares if you're in high school, you'll be a grade 8. You'll be a nobody.”

“Then what were you last year!?”

Max pulled the advancing Keon back. “Enough Keon lets go.” Keon pulled his shoulder away from Max's grip. “See you later...” He waved to his friends.

“Why? Why not hang out with us now? Who cares about those losers?” Keon's face grew red with anger. Enraged he started to walk away.

“Keon!” Nix called out to him. He gave no reply.

Nix sat there confused as to whom to go with. Max or Keon... Max had lowered his head and was watching Keon walking away. Keon was heading off somewhere to do who knows what.

“Just go with him...” Max said to Nix. He waited, but when Max gave no sign of going with them, Nix left.

Keon's anger only grew as they left them. Mad at them, but more so Max for defending them. He walked so quickly creating an awkward silence among the group.

Nix was unsure of how to handle it. He wanted to believe that those boys were not Max's friends and just people he knew... but that was not the case, and he knew it. His best friend had sent him away, the boy who helped him on his first day of school, who gave him his nickname.

Keon eventually settled on a bench and began eating the food he had bought. Nix sipped on his lemonade and took little bites of his food. When Keon was done, he kicked the pavement. “Who the hell do they think they are? All because they are high schoolers they are better than us? Bullshit!”

“Calm down, Keon.”

“I can't, I'm too pissed!” Keon got up and walked around the bench. “Saying I'll be a nobody in high school. They have no idea who I even am. What proof do they have!?”

“None, that's why you should calm down.”

“And where is Max!?” Nix said nothing. “He's still with them isn't he?”

“Ya...”

Keon let out a groan. “Seriously, you call that guy you're best friend?” Nix nodded. “Why?”

“Because we grew up together...”

Keon rolled his eyes. “Clearly that means nothing to him.” Nix began to tear up. Hiccupping a little bit. “What's wrong Nix?”

He tried to wipe the tears away but more just replaced them. A few dropped onto his lap. Keon came back around and tried to wipe them away as well. Nix couldn't explain it... betrayed was the best he could come up with to describe how he felt.

“I thought he would follow... he's always been a good guy and never let me down before.” Nix continued to hiccup.

Keon wiped a few more tears off his face. “Please stop crying, you're much cuter when you're not.”

Nix looked up at his friend. “What?” A few more tears falling down his face. Keon was right there centimeters away from him. He could feel the heat radiating off of him. “Why are you so...”

Keon cut him off by placing his lips on Nix's. It was just a peck on the lips but to the boys it felt like fireworks blasting in the sky. When Keon backed away, Nix moved forward wanting more. Keon was too quick, though and got distance between them.

“I'm sorry...” Keon looked away blushing.

Nix was equally as red. “Why'd you do that?”

“To be honest...” Keon glanced at Nix. “I've wanted to do that from the moment I met you.”

“Oh... I didn't know.”

“That porn stuff the other day... it was meant to see if you were into guys or not.” Keon and Nix made eye contact again. “Are you?”

Nix thought to himself for a moment before answering. “I don't know... what I do know is, is that I feel that that kiss was too short,” He spoke proudly. “I should go home, though. Next time, could we maybe...”

Keon smiled. “Yes, we can do it again.”

“Okay, see you then.” The boys waved goodbye to each other before heading home.

Max and Nix got in trouble for leaving each other. The rest of the stay was awkward for the boys. They stayed on their makeshift beds in the living room but didn't communicate much. Their friendship was in the middle of a fallout, and neither one knew how to save it.

 

Chapter end.

Sorry for a late chapter. Here it is though.
The Trivia for this chapter!! 99% of places I describe in my chapters, I have been to, or been to some form of. Like the tree fort place, I know a patch of woods in my home town that has like, one or two. So I based it on that. The schools for my stories, based on my highschool.
That's all for now.
Copyright © 2016 kuragari129; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Whew 129! I finally caught up!
I can't imagine what the issue between Keon and Nix was, although I'm sure we'll eventually find out. ;)
The triangle between the boys is now clearly drawn and, going forward, it should be interesting.
I'm sure not too fond of Theo, taking advantage of Lakota behind Lyric's back. Something tells me Lyric's ire is not something he'll be too fond of when she finds out. :P
Keep up the good story!!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..