Jump to content
    Labrador
  • Author
  • 992 Words
  • 1,000 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

lab shorts - 1. The Invitation

From the shadows, I watched with keen interest as he exited the house. The first thing he did was trip as he tried to avoid stepping on the single red rose lying in the middle of the porch. He stumbled, almost falling on his ass, but regained his footing before hurting himself.

Surreptitiously, he scanned the area before leaning over and picking up the flower. He glanced at the homes on either side, but seeing no one, merely shrugged his shoulders and took the rose inside.

I chuckled. Step one successfully completed. I ran from my hiding place before he came back outside and got in my car, hopefully to beat him to his place of employment. I needed to get to his office before him.

The card I placed on his desk was sure to throw him off. I found it in the kids section of the card isle at the local grocery store. I think it was meant as a child's birthday invitation, but it would suit my purpose perfectly. His boss, an older woman named Emily, snickered as I winked at her after setting the card against his computer monitor. It looked a bit out of place in the professional setup that he always kept in his work space. There's nothing like a picture of a cute little kitten to draw a person's attention.

Emily snuck a peek around the door to make sure the coast was clear before waving me through. She pointed at the office across the hall and I went in to keep watch. The offices all had vertical blinds so it wouldn't be too difficult to keep my presence hidden.

I looked at my watch for the tenth time wondering where he was. It wasn't like him to be late, and I'd been waiting for over a half an hour. Where was he? I almost stepped out into the open when I heard him race into the hallway.

"Sorry I'm late, Emily. I had a flat tire and had to call a cab."

"That's alright. I don't think we had anything pressing to attend to this morning. You look a bit frazzled, Alex. Why don't you grab a cup of coffee and relax a minute."

"Yeah, that sounds good." I heard him sigh. "This has been such a strange morning."

"Strange?" I had to stifle a snicker. Emily was so good at hiding secrets. "Oh, never mind. You can tell me all about it after you catch your breath. I'll see you in your office in a few minutes."

I waited while he went to the break room and came back down the hall with a steaming cup of coffee in his hand. Peeking through the blinds, I watched him set the cup down on his desk and pick up the card. The confused look on his face was priceless.

"Emily?" He walked out into the hallway with the card in his hand. "Hey, Emily?"

Emily came out of her office and met him at his door. "Yes, Alex?"

"Did you see anyone...?" He lifted the card to show her.

"Anyone?" Emily took the card and read what was written inside. "No. I don't recall seeing anyone."

"But—"

"It looks like you have somewhere to be in a little under an hour."

"But—"

"Now, Alex, I don't think you want to be late for this. It looks important."

"But—"

"Go on now. I think there's a car waiting for you out front."

Well now, that statement had me surprised. What car? I waited for Alex to leave before slipping out of the office where I'd been hiding. Emily was waiting me.

"What car?"

"Well, you didn't expect me to have him call a cab again. Did you? After all, he's had such a strange day... and with the flat tire?" The smirk on her face showed just how much fun she was having. "I had Thomas bring the limo around to take him home. He'll wait while Alex gets cleaned up a bit and then take him to the park. You want him to wait, or just drop Alex off?"

"Damn, you're a real piece of work. You know that?" I gave her a big hug, ignoring the itch in my nose from the scent of her hairspray. "Thanks, Emily. I'll take it from the park."

As I was leaving, Emily called out, "Hey, Zach. Tell your boy to take tomorrow off. I have a feeling he's gonna need it."

"Will do," I yelled back. If I had anything to do with it, he'd definitely need it.

When I got to the park, I went directly to the bench I'd directed him to in the invitation. My steps slowed as I drew nearer. He was a vision sitting there dressed in grey linen slacks and a navy blue dress shirt. His dark hair looked damp, as though he'd taken a shower before coming. He was staring at the card, gently running a forefinger along the print inside, before closing it and grinning at the picture of the kitten.

I sat down next to him and bumped his shoulder. "Cute."

"Yeah." He turned his head and looked at me with a grin. "You are. So, why the elaborate steps to get me out here?"

"We met here."

"Yes?"

I reached into my pocket and took out the small box I'd been carrying for the past week. As I kissed him, I pressed it into his hand.

"I couldn't think of a more perfect place."

His eyes went to the small velvet covered box and I held my breath as his flipped the top up.

"Oh, Zach. You mean it?" His eyes were glassy as he studied my face.

I let out the air I'd been holding. "Say the word."

His arms were thrown around my neck with such force that we both almost fell off the bench.

"Yes! Oh, God, yes!"

Prompt 94
Use: a blue shirt - a red rose - an older woman - a kitten - a flat tire - a card
Copyright © 2014 Labrador; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 02/25/2012 05:22 AM, Cia said:
Oh, I really liked that! Great job!!
Thanks, Cia. I had a lot of fun writing it.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/26/2012 01:39 AM, comicfan said:
I liked how you used this set up. Very nicely done. :) Poor guy was so having a strange day. lol.
Thank you. I'm glad you liked it. Now to try a few others.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..