Jump to content
    lilansui
    • Author
  • 4,291 Words
  • 1,816 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Forgiving Heart - 7. Chapter 7

Chapter 7

‘Gabriel doesn’t understand what we need,” Raphael complained. “He’s chosen to live a quiet life. How can he know why an alliance with Petrov is important?”

“Your father has also declined the Petrov alliance,” Himura said.

“Yes, because Gabriel said no,” Raphael cursed under his breath. “Our father listens to him. Everyone knows Gabriel is the voice of reason. If he hadn’t butted in, we would be in business.”

“There’s no use getting angry over this. You can work around it.” Himura held out a glass to Raphael.

Raphael took it with a sigh, and allowed Himura to pour him a drink. He tossed the burning liquid back in one gulp, closing his eyes as it burned down his throat to his stomach. His thoughts on Gabriel and the Petrov deal. Petrov was a strong ally to have. Especially in the European countries. The Yun Family did not have a presence there, and it was difficult to find trustworthy ports. If he was going to ever head the family, he needed a stronghold in Europe, he needed strong allies, secure routes…Raphael shook his head and leaned his head back to stare at the ceiling.

Gabriel was too cautious, he thought.

Having Talin to worry about had changed Gabriel. Drawn him out of the Yun Family reality. His twin brother refused to make sacrifices—

“Raphael,” Himura cut into his thoughts.

“What?’ he asked as he sat up.

Himura held out a cell phone. “Lucian Pajari is on the line.”

Raphael scowled as he answered the call.

“What do you want?”

“I don’t want to talk to you either,” Lucian answered. “However, I figured we have common interests. Your father has allowed our shipments to pass through your territories without incident for years. I figured I owed you one.”

Raphael stood because Lucian’s offers were rare.

“Go on,” Raphael said, moving to the windows in his office.

“There’s a contract out on your brother,” Lucian said. “Private party, very efficient.”

Raphael stopped pacing. “Who did it?”

“You shouldn’t air your private matters in public, Raphael,” Lucian said, his tone amused. “That’s basic knowledge. Someone overheard you bitching last night. They thought they would use the opportunity to rise up the ranks with Petrov. Better hurry—

Raphael ended the call and dialed Gabriel.

“Himura, send everyone we have to Gabriel and Talin’s,” Raphael said already heading for the front door. “Fucking everyone.”

Gabriel answered on the tenth ring. He sounded irritated.

“Raphael, you’d better have a very good reason for calling me,” Gabriel said.

“Where are you?”

“At home,” Gabriel said. “What’s wrong?”

“Stay inside,” Raphael said. “Lock down the house, don’t let anyone in until I get there.”

“What’s wrong, Rafa?” Gabriel asked, worry in his voice.

Raphael closed his eyes as Himura pulled the car to the front of his house. Raphael got into the front passenger seat, slamming the door closed as Himura weaved into traffic..

“I screwed up, Gabe. I’m so sorry, I was—

“Is it something to do with Dad?” Gabriel asked. “I told you not to fight him on the Petrov issue. We’re not equipped to deal with their kind of trouble, Rafa. Dad has Mom to protect, and we have Talin. The Petrovs don’t recognize that, and you know it.”

Raphael sighed.

“I know, I’m sorry, alright. Just—, stay inside the house. I’m sending all the security I have to you. I’ll fix this.”

“Alright,” Gabriel soothed after a moment. “Stop freaking out, Rafa. I’m going downstairs to turn on the alarms. We’re home alone, I sent all the staff home. Talin is in the shower. I can’t believe you interrupted that to tell me about Petrov…jeez, you’re such a mood spoiler.”

“Excuse me for trying to protect you,” Raphael teased, relieved that his brother was always so easy going. “I’m sure Talin will forgive me.”

“You won’t believe what he did for me in the library,” Gabriel said with a happy laugh. “It’s fantastic. You’ll have to see—

“Gabriel?” Raphael frowned at his phone, thinking the call was disconnected, he glanced at his screen. The connection was still on. “Gabe? Gabriel!”

The call disconnected.

“Faster, Himura,” Raphael ordered already dialing again. The phone rang, and rang, there was no answer.

Fear coursing through his veins, Raphael gripped the door handle hoping Talin had interrupted Gabriel’s call like he usually did. He hoped to find them kissing like teenagers on the couch in their living room. Those two, unable to keep their hands off each other. It irritated him sometimes, but today, he rather prayed for it.

Himura pulled up to Gabriel’s house, and Raphael raced up the stairs to the front door. He pushed open the door running into the living room. He froze when he saw Talin kneeling on the staircase landing, with only a towel around his hips. The blood…

“Oh God, what’s taking them so long,” Talin was saying, his voice hysterical. “Gabe, it’s going to be fine. It will be fine. You’re doing great.”

Raphael dropped his phone and ran up the stairs. Gabriel lay in a pool of blood, his eyes closed. Three bullet wounds on his chest. Raphael felt weak in the knees. He clutched the banister at a loss. Talin’s hands were covered in Gabriel’s blood. His hands pressed on Gabriel’s chest as though that would stop the flow.

“The ambulance is here,” Himura said behind him. “We need to move Talin.”

Raphael clutched the banister, unable to move. His gaze fixated on Gabriel’s chest. Two medics squeezed by him, and the next minute they were trying to move Talin.

“No,” Talin was saying. “If I move my hands, the blood keeps coming out. Don’t you get it! No!”

Himura gripped Raphael’s arms and shook him.

Talin was screaming. One of the men in Raphael’s security moved Talin aside to give the medics room. Talin’s towel slipped dangerously low. More struggling, tears tracking down Talin's face.

“You need to see to Talin, Raphael, now!” Himura ordered.

Raphael pushed off the railing and moved to take Talin into his arms. Talin struggled for a moment.

“It’s me, Talin,” Raphael said, his voice calming Talin. “I’ve got you.”

“Rafa, tell them to save him. They have to,” Talin said.

“They will. I need to get you dressed. We’ll follow them to the hospital.”

“I can’t leave him.” Talin shook his head, his gaze on Gabriel, as the medics worked on him. “I can’t—

Himura came up behind Talin and pushed a t-shirt and sweats into Raphael's hands. Together they helped Talin dress. When the medics picked up the stretcher they’d placed Gabriel on, Talin ran after them not caring that he had no shoes. Talin rode in the ambulance with Gabriel.

The ride to the hospital was horrendous. The wait through surgery was worse. Talin paced....and paced...and paced. In between the pacing, Raphael got a warm towel and tried to wipe away Gabriel’s blood from Talin's hands. Still, the little diversion did nothing to calm Talin.

Raphael tried to get him to sit, but it didn’t work.

Then the surgeon he’d called to ensure the best success came in. The doctor’s expression left Raphael cold inside. Wrapping an arm around Talin’s shoulders, he held on tight as the surgeon reached them.

“I’m sorry,” the Surgeon said.

“What?” Talin’s voice sounded raw.

“We couldn’t repair the damage in time,” the surgeon continued. “Gabriel lost too much blood. He didn’t make it.”

“No.” Talin shook his head. “No. No.”

Over and over, Talin repeated the word, sinking to the floor in despair. Raphael dropped to the floor beside Talin and pulled him into his arms, holding Talin as he came apart. Talin screamed his pain, the sound of it tore deep ridges in Raphael’s heart, so deep he could barely breathe.

***

Raphael sat in Gabriel and Talin’s living room staring at the pristine glass coffee table a week later. The sunlight brightened the room. It was only nine o’clock in the morning. The coffee table was usually laden with paperwork from Talin’s art gallery by now. Gabriel would be in his office. Often times, Gabriel called Talin and they would talk for an hour before Talin went to the art gallery. Raphael had loved walking in on the little conferences. Talin served him a huge mug of coffee, then proceeded to tease him and Gabriel mercilessly as they talked.

Raphael frowned.

The neat coffee table bothered him more than he dared define.

He had arranged Gabriel’s funeral. It was to be held in the morning.

Talin was in bed, the covers pulled over his head. He refused to come out of the master bedroom.

“Himura.”

Raphael glanced at his right-hand man.

“Yes, sir.”

“Where do I find Lucian Pajari?”

“Raphael,” Himura sighed.

“Where?”

“You can’t leave Talin alone. He won’t eat unless you are with him. He won’t move, he won’t do anything—

“I have to bury Gabriel tomorrow and watch Talin walk around like a zombie through it. He hasn’t spoken to me since the hospital. I know more than you do how bad he’s doing. I need to find Lucian Pajari.”

Himura sighed.

“I will find him.”

Raphael got up and headed upstairs to find Talin.

The master bedroom was dark. Raphael walked over to the windows and pulled back the curtains letting in the sun. He turned to look at the figure on the bed, and sighed when Talin didn’t move.

Walking to the bed, he reached for the covers and pulled them back. Talin slept, clinging to a pillow. His face looked ravaged: dark shadows under his eyes, he hadn’t shaved. The light on his face made him open his eyes with a groan.

“Talin.” Raphael peered at him. “You need to wake up.”

Talin’s gaze widened, relief filling his eyes.

Raphael frowned.

Brown eyes held his and then Talin gasped.

The fresh grief in Talin’s eyes undid him.

Raphael sat on the side of the bed as he realized why Talin freaked out every morning. He and Gabriel looked too much alike. Each time he woke Talin, he broke him again. Raphael started to get up and leave, but Talin reached for his hand and stopped him.

“Don’t go,” Talin managed in a hoarse voice. His first words in days.

Raphael sat unable to break Talin’s hold. He couldn’t. Not when he was the reason Talin had lost his reason to live.

“Hold me for a while?” Talin asked.

Raphael stretched out on the bed, and pulled Talin into his arms. He closed his eyes when Talin buried his face into his chest. When Talin trembled and broke into soft sobs, Raphael held him tight and vowed revenge on all who had taken Gabriel from them.

***

Raphael stormed into the Ergo Club dripping with murderous intent. He hadn’t gotten Lucian’s location until after Gabriel’s funeral. Shaking with anger, it didn’t take him long to find Lucian.

“He’s in the office,” Lucian said when he saw him. “We’ve been waiting for you.”

“Why did you call me so late?” Raphael demanded, grabbing Lucian by the collar, rage boiling through him to the point of madness. “You could have called me—

“I didn’t have to call you,” Lucian gritted out. “Now, take what you came for, or leave.”

Raphael clenched his teeth. The twenty men in the club stood around him and Lucian. Their guns drawn. In his haste to find Lucian, he’d only brought Himura with him. The room was already getting uncomfortable. Himura stood right behind him, ready to fight. Raphael closed his eyes, his fingers tight on Lucian’s shirt.

“This is not over,” he said. “I’m going to pay you back one day.”

Letting go of Lucian’s shirt, he stepped back and went straight to the club office. Inside, a man sat zip tied to an armchair. The bastard was bloody, Lucian’s people had obviously not been kind.

“The authorities will want to talk to him. Let’s take him in,” Himura started.

“No.” Raphael said, his voice barely above a growl, the rage inside him overflowing.

He removed his suit jacket, and handed it to Himura. Folding the sleeves of his pristine white shirt, Raphael walked up to the man in the chair.

“My name is Raphael Yun.”

The man’s eyes widened.

“I’m sorry. I was only following orders.”

“Fuck you,” Raphael hissed, punching the man hard across the face.

The relief was immense, but short. So he punched again, and again…and again…

***

“Raphael,” Hyun said, touching Raphael’s shoulder. “Wake up.”

Raphael moaned, moving his head from side to side, caught in a nightmare.

“Raphael.”

Hyun sighed when not even shaking woke Raphael. Sitting on the side of the couch, he cupped Raphael’s face. He stared at long lashes, an elegant nose, parted lips. Raphael’s forehead was coated with sweat. His hair coming undone from the neat ponytail. Hyun wondered what had Raphael so worked up.

“Raphael, wake up,” Hyun whispered into Raphael’s ear. “You’re having a bad dream. Wake up.”

Raphael tensed under him, and opened his eyes with a soft exhale.

Hyun stared into liquid green eyes, drowning in their depths. Raphael looked at him with need. Unbridled need to escape, to be saved from whatever haunted him in his dreams. Hyun would have called it fear, except it looked like deep-seated pain. The kind that couldn’t be healed no matter what.

Raphael closed his eyes. When he opened them again, Hyun found himself staring into familiar green eyes. The protective shield was back. Hyun frowned searching for the vulnerable man he’d seen a minute ago.

“What are you doing?” Raphael asked, his tone bored, untouched.

“Waking you. You were having a nightmare,” Hyun said, letting go of Raphael’s face. He sat back giving Raphael room when he started to sit up. “I came down to talk sense into you, and found you moaning on the couch.”

Raphael pushed a lock of hair that had fallen over his eyes back. He let out a small yawn and glanced at the watch on his wrist.

“Damn, it’s already two o’clock,” Raphael sighed.

“You should let me change your dressing.”

Hyun reached for the first aid kit he’d placed on the coffee table. He'd spent two hours pacing his room, thinking hard about Raphael's need to push him away. It made sense. They didn't know each other. One of them could die at any moment. Raphael was a mean gangster involved with people like Lucian. So many reasons...still, the man had saved Mina and gotten shot in the process. In the end, his need to see Raphael healed won. Hyun left his room and retrieved the medical kit Christine assembled for Raphael from the kitchen. He'd come into the living room ready to fight with Raphael, only to find him caught in a nightmare.

“You’re obsessed with my wound,” Raphael complained with a small yawn.

“With good reason,” Hyun said. “You are abusing your body.”

Hyun pushed Raphael to lie back on the couch pillows. With practiced moves, he unbuttoned Raphael’s shirt and pulled it open to reveal Raphael’s chiseled abdomen. The man was perfection, except for the white bandage on his left side.

Hyun swallowed hard and reached for the tape holding the bandage in place.

“While you slept, I had time to think upstairs.”

“What did you think about, Hyun?” Raphael asked after a few minutes.

Hyun glanced at Raphael, then concentrated on discarding the used bandage from Raphael’s wound.

“You’re healing well,” Hyun said, studying the scab. “No sign of infection. The pain you’re feeling is probably from overworking when you should be resting.”

“Your expression when you say that,” Raphael mused. “Should I apologize for not resting?”

“Maybe,” Hyun said, applying the ointment Christine had provided in the kit. “I know you have held up your end of the bargain, and I’m the one who owes you now. However, we still need each other, Raphael.”

Raphael didn’t say anything to that.

Hyun glanced at him and frowned when he found Raphael studying him.

“My sister won’t be safe until you stop Lucian Pajari. I need you healthy for that,” Hyun said. “And you need me to stop Lucian Pajari.”

“You have it all worked out,” Raphael said.

“Yes.” Hyun nodded. “You need to let me help you get better.”

“I don’t need to do anything you say.”

“You don’t need to, yes, but you can make an exception.” Hyun covered the healing wound with a fresh bandage, and concentrated on taping it in place. “It is a reasonable arrangement.”

“Hyun.”

The way Raphael said his name made his heart skip in excitement. Hyun smoothed his hand over the bandage gently. It was the first time. His heart skipping at the mere sound of his name. No one had ever set his heart to dance that way.

“Are you hungry?” Hyun asked, ignoring Raphael’s intent gaze. “You haven’t eaten anything yet. I’ll make you something.”

“Do you remember the rules I gave you on our flight into New York?”

“Clearly,” Hyun said, buttoning Raphael’s shirt. “Right now though, I’m also following Christina’s. She terrifies me more than you.”

“I’m not sure how to react to that.”

Raphael frowned when Hyun stood up.

“Christine can wield a scalpel with precision,” Hyun said with a small smile. “Don’t wanna piss her off. So, I’ll take care of you whether you want it or not.”

“I don’t need taking care of.”

“That’s what you think,” Hyun said. “Don’t move from that couch. I’ll be right back.”

Hyun took the first aid kit with him and hurried to the corridor leading to the kitchen. His hand pressed against his chest, he walked into the bright room taking deep breaths.

Himura stood leaning on the furthest kitchen counter drinking coffee. He paused when he saw Hyun.

Hyun placed the first aid kit on the counter closest to him.

“Be careful,” Himura said, when Hyun walked to the refrigerator.

Hyun glanced at Himura.

“Why?”

“Raphael’s world is not black and white,” Himura said. “He can’t escape it no matter how much he tries. If you stay—,”

Himura broke off and stared into his coffee.

Hyun removed three eggs, lettuce and tomatoes from the well-stocked fridge. He carried his loot to the cooking range built on the island table.

“Hyun,” Himura glanced at him. “Your presence is refreshing and unexpected but I don’t think it is fair on you.”

“I’m not afraid,” Hyun said.

Himura studied him for a moment.

“I suppose that’s part of the reason why I like you. You have bravely fought down your fear at the small glimpse into Raphael’s world,” Himura said. “Still, it isn’t right to watch you walk into it and not say something.”

Hyun took a frying pan from the hooks above the cooking range.

“I know the stakes. I won’t betray your Master, Himura. He is growing on me,” Hyun said, giving Himura a small smile.

“That’s what worries me,” Himura said.

***

Raphael sat on the couch playing Hyun’s video game. The senseless activity taking his mind off his awful dream. Well, it wasn’t a dream when the contents were real. The past haunted him. He couldn’t escape it any longer. Taking care of Talin had consumed his thoughts for years, now that Talin had Dimitri, he was left with nothing but thoughts.

His careless temper had led to Gabriel’s murder, caused Talin unimaginable grief, destroyed a future. That was a truth he couldn’t escape. He didn’t even know where to start when it came to seeking forgiveness. Gabriel should never have been in the crosshairs. Never. He’d failed to protect his own twin. Failed to protect the life Gabriel had chosen with Talin.

Giving up on the video game, Raphael pushed fingers through his hair and closed his eyes. At least Talin was safe, for now. Hyun was right. As long as Mina was in danger, so were Talin and Dimitri. Damn Lucian Pajari for even existing. Raphael had no choice now but to make sure they were all safe. All included Hyun.

Raphael sat back on the couch.

Hyun.

Hyun with his soulful eyes.

Innocence clung to Hyun like a great cloak despite his recent run ins with Lucian. Hyun’s innocence ripped at Raphael, made him feel guilty for even thinking of the younger man.

The scent of toast bread and eggs had Raphael’s stomach growling. He opened his eyes and watched Hyun place a plate on the coffee table.

“Made you a sandwich. Himura said you like fresh fruit juice, but I don’t know how to make it.” Hyun sat on the couch to his left. “We’ll have to do with apple juice from a bottle.”

Raphael grinned.

“You and Himura are becoming buddies.”

“He’s not so bad,” Hyun said. “Am I going to have to feed you?”

Raphael laughed because Hyun’s expression at that moment looked as though he would do it, if dared.

“No, I can eat.” Raphael reached for a slice of the sandwich. He took a bite and moaned in appreciation at the delicious mixture of fried eggs, lettuce and tomatoes perfectly salted. “You make a delicious sandwich.”

“My sister would disagree with you,” Hyun said with a smile. “She thinks I only eat ramen.”

“Don’t you?”

“No.” Hyun settled in the corner of the couch, hugging a cushion. “She doesn’t remember, but I cooked her many meals when she was small. Our parents were always working. Some days it would be hard for them to come home early.”

Raphael had read the report on Hyun’s parents. He knew they had died in a car accident leaving Hyun responsible for Mina. Stealing a glance at Hyun, he frowned at the wistful expression on Hyun’s face.

Was he thinking about his parents?

Raphael took a bite of his sandwich, and ate in silence for a while.

“Why do you wear your hair long?” Hyun asked, breaking the silence.

“Does your curiosity ever cease?”

“No.” Hyun shifted, and then his fingers were combing through Raphael’s hair.

Raphael paused in the act of drinking his juice. The feel of Hyun’s fingers sweeping through his hair pleasurable. Hyun removed the rubber band he used to hold his hair, and his hair spilled down his back.

“Are you going to tell me?” Hyun asked.

Raphael drank his juice, stopping the urge to moan at Hyun’s soothing ministrations.

“Fine, I can wait.” Hyun touched the silky strands. “I like your hair down like this.”

Raphael placed his empty glass on the coffee table. He turned to face Hyun, and paused when he found him sitting too close. Their faces mere inches apart.

Hyun’s fingers tangled in his hair, and Raphael’s gaze dropped to Hyun’s lips.

“You have no self-preservation,” Raphael accused, bringing his hand to touch Hyun’s jaw.

Hyun bit his lower lip and Raphael lifted his gaze to meet nervous brown eyes.

“I’m going to kiss you.”

Hyun didn’t make any move to escape. Instead he sat still, his eyes sliding closed in anticipation.

Raphael frowned.

Innocence so easily presented to him, how could he resist?

He closed the distance between them and took Hyun’s lips in a wanton kiss. Deliberately seeking entrance into Hyun’s mouth, his tongue invading, taking, exploring, his arms wrapping around Hyun. Taking from Hyun, sweet, delicious taste, heat and hearth…Hyun clung to him, soft eager moans escaping. The feel of him addictive, Raphael ended the kiss with reluctance. He stared at Hyun’s closed eyes, his gaze moving to swollen, parted lips.

“Sir,” Himura said, from somewhere behind him.

Hyun’s eyes opened and he stared into dazed brown eyes.

“The call you were waiting for,” Himura said.

Raphael sighed and let go of Hyun. Reaching for his cane, he got up slowly, his muscles stiff. His wound was numb, not painful, thanks to Hyun’s ministrations. He righted his shirt, and gripped the cane tight.

“Thanks for the sandwich, Hyun.”

“Don’t work too long,” Hyun said, his tone heavy with concern.

Raphael found the concern amusing. He doubted he deserved it. Giving Hyun a small nod, he left him sitting on the couch as he returned downstairs, back to the world he understood.

***

“Who are they?” Raphael asked Getti.

“The gentleman is Dima and the lady is Nadia,” Getti’s said, his tone grim. “Caretakers working for Petrov. They went missing a month ago. Their charge was Calina Petrova. Nicolae Petrov’s daughter.”

Raphael sunk into the chair behind his desk.

“Where is she?”

“Missing,” Getti said. “The agents in-charge are looking for her. She was taking a vacation in Malaysia. The Helena was conveniently close. Though someone went to a lot of trouble to move Dima and Nadia to Sri Lanka, and on board the Helena.”

Raphael gripped his pen tight, sure now that Lucian was trying to pull him into this deadly dance.

“The investigation into their murders is now open,” Getti said. “Tread carefully, boss. Interpol might get involved at this rate.”

Fucking nightmare, Raphael thought. No one liked dead bodies on shipping boats.

“Alright, thanks Getti. Finish up with the Helena, one of our veteran Captains will meet you there.”

“As you wish,” Getti ended the call.

Raphael sat back and met Himura’s gaze.

“Lucian wants a fight. I’m going to give it to him.”

“Sir,” Himura said. “Don’t you want to meet your father first?”

“Yes, there is also my father,” Raphael said, with a frown.

His father’s agendas seemed to mirror Lucian’s.

A giant and an angry wild animal, Raphael scoffed. He’d somehow ended up in between.

“Well, my turn to play,” Raphael said, his gaze narrowed. His thoughts on Hyun upstairs. “I’m done with reacting to shit.”

****

Lee Suilan,2016
  • Like 14
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..