Jump to content
    lilansui
    • Author
  • 3,665 Words
  • 2,500 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Forgiving Heart - 2. Chapter 2

Two

Raphael stood in his father’s office, his hands folded behind him. The room was stifling, even though it was spacious, wide windows bringing in light, none of which penetrated his black mood.

His father watched him with shrewd eyes, twirling a pen.

“If you continue this line of thought, you’re going to follow your twin brother’s path.” Baek Yun frowned. “I allowed Gabe to choose his life, but he ended up dead. Do you want me to lose both of you?”

Raphael swallowed hard. “The Helena is one ship, one attempt.”

“One attempt that jeopardizes thousands of plans, billions of money,” Baek said with a frown. “Rumors are damaging, Rafa. The strongest wins the game. How many times must I teach you this lesson?”

Raphael bit his inner lip, feeling like a school boy getting a scolding. He was thirty – three for goodness sakes. Shouldn’t he be beyond this?

“Father, the Helena—

“The ship was salvaged, thanks to your Getti, I’m sure you’ll get your cargo wherever you needed it. However, this is not the time to make changes,” Baek Yun said getting to his feet. He walked to the windows, staring out the windows at the vibrant city below. “Our family’s strength comes first. I know you understand that, Rafa.”

Raphael gave a sharp nod when his father turned to look at him. Baek Yun turned back to the scenery below. He was silent for a minute, then two, and then he asked.

“I heard you sold Pajari Industries back to the Pajari brothers, Lucian and Ilia.”

“They gave me no choice,” Raphael said. “I sold them back the company to protect Gabriel’s legacy and Talin.”

“All you’ve lived these past four years is Talin’s well being. I’m glad that is over.” Baek gave an impatient sigh. “I wish you had talked to me first before making the decision to sell Pajari Industries.”

Raphael frowned. “The company was tied into Pan Ltd. Gabriel built Pan Limited for Talin. You and I have no right to interfere with Talin’s life.”

“I don’t care about Pan Limited. However, I am interested in the relationship with the Pajari brothers. I’m glad you gained trust with them because we might need them on our side in the near future.”

“What does that mean?”

Baek turned to look at him. “Our world has too many heads wanting to take the lead, Rafa.”

“What do you want with Arocom Industries?” Raphael asked then, moving to sit in one of the armchairs across his father’s desk. “The company is unremarkable. We certainly don’t need them—

“But they need us,” Baek said with a small smile.

The sight of his father’s smile sent chills down Raphael’s back. He didn’t like it when his father’s smile didn’t reach his eyes. It always meant there was more to a situation than it seemed.

Raphael sat still, waiting for his father.

“Have you heard of Nicolae?”

“No.”

“You wouldn’t have,” Baek said. “Growing up in the Americas, you have been spared from much, Rafa. I sometimes worry how you’re to take over the family.”

“You have groomed me since I turned eighteen, father,” Raphael said, his tone ringing with confidence. “I will manage.”

“Yes, but not if Nicolae is alive,” Baek said. “Nicolae Petrov is an enemy to our family, you see. He’s wanted control over our business network since we met. He won’t stop until he gets it.”

Raphael frowned.

“Petrov,” he said in a quiet tone.

“Yes, you have heard this name,” Baek said. “Nicolae is Vlad’s brother. Irina Petrova, the woman Talin’s boyfriend killed was Nicolae’s sister in-law.”

“A blood feud,” Raphael said in surprise.

“As long as Nicolae has no idea Talin is family—

“That is no secret,” Raphael cut in. “I won’t ever deny him. He was Gabriel’s beloved.”

“Then understand that Nicolae will come after Talin and his new boyfriend for killing his most precious asset,” Baek said. “Nicolae does not take defeat very well. And even though Nicolae wasn’t happy with Irina’s pretense as Vlad, she did bring him a lot of money. Money he has lost access to with you selling the company to the Pajari brothers. The only way to divert Nicolae's attention from revenge is to make a move on him. ”

Raphael frowned. His father was at his old manipulation again. Arocom Industries was clean, not a trace of bad money coming in from the bratva, this Nicolae or any other organization. He knew how to look, and the company was legitimate. In fact, his father’s ownership had cast a shadow on Arocom’s reputation.

“Your question is how Arocom Industries connects to Nicolae,” Baek stated.

Raphael nodded.

“I bought the company to gain access to the software.” Baek gave an impatient sigh. “Nicolae’s stronghold in Europe is vast, and he has a strong standing in the States too. The only weakness I can think to exploit is his money. You and Talin gave me the idea when you managed to weaken Vlad by buying out Pajari Industries from her.”

“You cannot buy out Nicolae’s strongholds,” Raphael said. “We’re not that liquid.”

“No,” Baek agreed. “However, we can rob him blind.”

Raphael stared at his father, bile rising.

“You want to start a war with pure bratva,” Raphael said in shock.

“The only way to end Nicolae is through a war,” Baek said, his gaze hard. “And if you're thinking of a way to stop it, you’ve arrived late, Rafa. The war has already started. Someone knew what I was up to when I purchased Arocom Industries.”

“Damn it, that’s why you won’t let me work the Helena,” Raphael got up, his hands on his hips as he turned away from his father.

“If things get difficult, you will need to take over,” Baek said. “Your ability to lead cannot be questioned. Your mother’s life depends on it.”

Raphael shook his head, closing his eyes at how easily his father controlled his life. He couldn’t flex a muscle now. Family came first. Wiping a hand down his face, he faced his father.

“How do you know the war has started?” he asked.

“Weeks ago, one of my trusted men brought information on the even locations Nicolae stores his money,” Baek said. “I tasked him with the job of trying out a dry run on one of those locations. The dry run was successful. We got the money from a Singapore bank account, but the amount was insubstantial. Our success prompted the disappearance of Lee Hyun, a programmer working in Arocom Industries.”

“He’s a nobody,” Raphael said. “Works in the basement, thoroughly sat upon.”

“Not such a nobody,” Baek said. “Lee Hyun gained access to the second location before me. A small loss, one I can overlook, however there are five more bank accounts. I need you to find Lee Hyun and neutralize the person behind him.”

“Are you afraid it is someone who will be more powerful than you?” Raphael asked meeting his father’s gaze.

“Whoever is behind Lee Hyun is not a friend to the Yun Family, Rafa. Once they gain control of Nicolae’s fortune, they’ll inherit the same goal Nicolae has. To acquire our business network and I won’t stand for it.”

Raphael studied his father for a moment sure there was more to the story. This Nicolae…he frowned. Perhaps he should have Himura look into Nicolae Petrov.

“Do you understand what you must do?” Baek Yun asked, breaking into his thoughts.

Raphael bowed. “I’ll do as you say, father.”

“When we succeed, I’ll reconsider your proposals on legitimization,” Baek said.

Raphael lifted his head. “Thank you.”

“Find Lee Hyun,” Baek ordered.

Raphael left his father’s office in quick strides. He undid his tie when he got into the elevator, not happy about the turn of events. Turf wars brought out the worst in him and his family. He couldn’t even begin to imagine what would happen if he failed to find this programmer. His father was a ruthless bastard who got what he wanted.

Fucking Lee Hyun, who the hell was he?

***

“Oppa.”

The soft words echoed in his head. Hyun sat up on his bed, pressing his fingers to his temple. He couldn’t get Mina’s desperate voice out of his head. He dreamt about her every time he closed his eyes. When he was awake, he worried about her.

Was she eating? Where did she sleep? Were they hurting her?

Hyun stared at the laptop resting on a desk across his bed. He was waiting for a message from the men holding Mina. They hadn’t said anything in two weeks.

It worried him.

Hyun got to his feet, taking an old green sweater from the edge of his bed. He pulled it over a faded brown t-shirt, adjusting his green sweat pants. On bare feet, he went into an adjacent tiny bathroom and closed the door.

Turning on the light, he closed the toilet lid and reached behind the toilet to get a small tablet he’d hidden there. Sitting on the toilet cover, he turned the tablet on, his gaze on the locked toilet door.

Paranoia had set in. He was afraid someone was watching his apartment, so he’d moved into the cheapest hotel room he could find. His mysterious boss had encouraged his moving out after the job breaking into a bank account in the Cayman Islands.

Hyun worried those men were watching his laptop; they knew too much about him and his sister. The tablet was new and never used to connect to mainstream internet.

Hyun sighed staring at the screen. He’d tried tracking the bastards holding Mina with no success. Instead, they threatened him with Mina every time he thought he’d found a clue.

God, his little sister was probably mad with fright.

Hyun gritted his teeth against the crippling fear, choosing instead to continue his search for a way out. He’d sent out a query on the darknet. He didn’t know the names of the men controlling him. Hyun only knew he needed help from someone stronger, someone not afraid to extract his sister. He sat up when he found a response to his query from one of his longtime acquaintances.

Potential solution, rumor not fact, could be scam. Yun Family- International racket, cost on the higher side. No clear names, connection: moving party, next location: Industrial Loft off Fifth Ave, 5th floor, 11p.m. Code: Freelancer, Look for a green Dragon.

***

The green dragon, Hyun scoffed, adjusting the deep green shirt he’d bought from a supermarket. His blue jeans were old, but clean. His boots…Hyun looked at them. Well, they were his most precious asset, anyone who didn’t like them could eat dirt. Hyun shrugged and walked into the elegant building.

Hyun entered the elevator, wondering what kind of person he was looking for.

Why a green dragon? Yun Family, was that a code name?

He reached into his pocket and pulled out a mint. Opening the wrap, he was about to pop it into his mouth when the elevator doors opened again and a stocky, frightening Japanese man walked in. He frowned when the man gave him a quick appraisal and took a step close as though to frisk him.

“Its fine,” a man said walking into the elevator as though he owned it. “Keep everyone away tonight, Himura. I’m in a bad mood; I just want to drink in peace.”

“Yes sir,” Himura said standing in front of Hyun, blocking his view of the tall man.

Hyun popped the mint into his mouth and leaned on the wall. It seemed he wasn’t the only one having a bad day. At least this guy had someone to complain to. If this green dragon thing was a hoax, he was going to be in shit, stuck working for men in the shadows. His poor sister…, he let out a long sigh, staring at his dark worn boots.

Suddenly, a pair of handsome shiny black leather boots appeared and he glanced up fast, staring into captivating green eyes.

“You,” the owner said his voice tinged with irritation. “Do you need to sigh so loud?”

Hyun inhaled. The handsome stranger was stunning. Angelic, that word should have worked, however it felt wrong in context with this man. While the man was beautiful, there was a hardness to his sculpted face. His eyes added arrogance to his expression, the kind that came from birth.

Hyun scoffed. “I’m not the one walking around with a babysitter.”

Those green eyes blinked and then the man laughed. Gosh, he laughed and it was so intoxicating, Hyun was amazed.

Hyun started to push the man aside and escape but a strong hand dropped on his left shoulder holding him against the wall. He closed his eyes when the man leaned close, so close Hyun took in a healthy dose of the man’s spicy scent.

“I don’t let many tease me,” the man whispered into his ear.

The elevator doors opened, the mysterious man dropped his arm, turning away from Hyun before he could respond. They left the elevator fast; Hyun had to push off the wall to catch the elevator doors before they closed. Cursing under his breath, he followed the pair to a pair of black double doors. Two Korean women sat on stools guarding the doors. They checked wrists on the guests with a blue light. Hyun slowed down as the mysterious man walked by the small crowd of ladies waiting their turn. Hyun stopped when the man called Himura pulled up his right shirt sleeve, showing off a green dragon tattoo. The two women got to their feet, giving Mr. Green eyes a bow; they opened the doors and let him through.

Great, Hyun cursed under his breath. So that’s who he needed to find, just perfect.

He waited his turn to the two ladies with impatience. When it was his turn, the lady glanced at him with a frown.

“You are new,” she said studying the little blue dragon he’d gotten earlier from a convenience store down the street. “What do you seek here?”

Hyun gave her a slight smile. “I’m a freelancer.”

She studied him for a moment, then nodded and let him through. He hoped his friend had given him the right code.

Hyun entered the loft, and stopped at the entrance. The walls had mad sound proofing; the music inside the loft was loud rock, the place packed: it was a wild party.

Hyun sighed.

Now to find Mr. Green eyes and his babysitter in this mess.

***

Finding Mr. Green eyes wasn’t hard, Hyun thought thirty minutes later.

Everyone in the loft was aware of the mysterious man. Mr. Green Eyes sat in a darkened corner of the loft, tossing back shots like a man who had no job to wake up to in the morning. Hyun wondered what his name was; no one dared move to talk to him, thanks to the frightening babysitter standing a few feet away.

Hyun’s phone beeped and he reached for it. He found a message. A picture of his sister, Mina, her mouth tied with a dark cloth. Her eyes were red from crying. Under her picture was a time and a meeting place.

Tomorrow, 6.30 p.m., JFK airport, departures parking lot.

Hyun put his phone away.

Another job, he thought.

His gaze returned to Mr. Green Eyes seated in the corner. There was no time. He needed to find help tonight.

***

Raphael tossed back his tenth shot, his mood dark at the thought of his father’s edicts. He didn’t want to think, but he’d done nothing else during his flight back to New York. He’d contemplated ignoring his father’s need to find this Lee Hyun, but still…if he did, what would happen to the poor guy at the end of this?

“Himura,” Raphael motioned for Himura to join him.

“Yes Sir,” Himura said.

“Do you have Lee Hyun’s profile?” he asked.

Himura reached into his pocket and got his phone. In minutes, Raphael stared at the gritty picture of the unkempt young man barely out of his twenties, walking to the subway. There was nothing memorable about him, so plain and easily missed.

“Don't you think my father might have lost his mind this time?” Raphael asked dropping the phone on the table. “I hate anomalies, and this one is one big fucking anomaly.”

“I have the team digging up Hyun’s records.” Himura took his phone and put it in his pocket. “We’ll have more information in the morning.”

Raphael poured two shots of sake, and handed Himura one. Himura took it with a nod.

“To my father’s madness,” Raphael toasted and drank his shot in one gulp.

“Uhm…excuse me.”

Himura got up to chase away their newest intruder.

Honestly, Raphael was starting to find these parties a little tedious. If he could set up an office he would. This way, all their clients could go there, and he could drink in his house in peace. However, an office would draw attention fast. He sighed and glanced at the young man standing a few feet away, lifting his right hand to stop Himura when he recognized the punk from the elevator. Pretty dark brown eyes, short hair, cute clean-shaven face, he'd wanted to kiss the younger man.

“You,” Raphael said in greeting. “What do you want?”

“Can I talk to him?” the young man pointed at Himura with a wide smile. “Just a few minutes of his time. Please?”

Raphael smiled. That was new. He tossed back his drink and sat back in his seat intrigued. The young man was vaguely familiar.

“Be my guest,” Raphael said.

Himura gave him a scowl, and he shrugged.

“Can I talk to you in private?” the young man asked Himura. “It will only take a second.”

“This is the most private we’ll get,” Himura answered making no move to leave Raphael’s side. “What do you want?”

“The tattoo on your arm,” the young man said. “I really like it. I was looking for a green dragon today. I’m wondering if you can help me.”

“With what?” Himura asked folding his arms behind him, his expression formidable.

“I’m—,” the young man broke off looking at Raphael, his gaze nervous.

Then he stepped closer to Himura and to Raphael’s surprise, a surge of jealousy whipped through him. Looking away, Raphael reached for the sake bottle and concentrated on pouring himself a shot.

***

“I’m looking for help with a difficult task,” Hyun whispered into Himura’s ear. “I was told I could find the Yun family here. Can you hear me out?”

Himura glanced at him with a frown. “How do you know to talk to me?”

“I saw the green dragon on your arm. I was told to follow the green dragon. Please, I can pay—

“You can’t afford it,” Himura said. “Walk away now.”

“Please,” Hyun said desperate. “I need your help to save someone important to me. I will give you everything you need—

Himura pushed Hyun away, keeping him at arm’s length. “I don’t know who sent you here but I can’t help you.”

“Do you want me to beg?” Hyun demanded, feeling like he could go crazy. “I’ll drop to my knees right now. You don’t know me, do you? The things I can do when I’m desperate shock the world, mister.”

Himura scoffed. “Desperate people are a liability, kid.”

“Kid,” Hyun exclaimed, shocked at the description. He couldn’t remember the last person who’d called him kid. “You—,”

He broke off because he couldn’t afford to piss this guy off. Still, kid? What did he look ten years old?

“Calm down, Hyun,” he said to himself, closing his eyes. “Breathe…this is not the time to lose it.”

Forcing himself to take in a deep breath, Hyun opened his eyes and turned to find Himura staring at him, his expression more menacing if that were possible.

“What is your name?” Mr. Green Eyes asked, drawing his attention.

Hyun frowned, and then because it looked like Mr. Green Eyes had clout with his frightening babysitter, Hyun smiled.

“Me?” Hyun asked, clearing his throat, he moved closer to the comfortable couches. “If I tell you will you—

Strong fingers wrapped around his wrist and he was pulled down onto the couch. Hyun inhaled when Mr. Green Eyes leaned over him, his face inches away. His heart skipped a beat. This was the second time today.

“Your name,” Mr. Green Eyes said, his tone hard to disobey.

“Hyun,” he said, his voice losing strength.

“Last name?”

“Lee,” Hyun answered.

“Lee Hyun?” Mr. Green Eyes asked with a beautiful smile.

Hyun nodded, pleasantly surprised to hear this man call him Lee Hyun. He was now used to people calling him Hyun Lee here.

“Yes,” he said with a nod.

“What good fortune,” Mr. Green Eyes said studying him, though his tone sounded thoughtful. “Himura.”

“Yes Sir,” Himura said.

“Get Lee Hyun a drink,” Mr. Green Eyes said. “He looks like he’s going to need it.”

Hyun exhaled when the tall handsome man moved away, returning to his corner on the couch. Hyun sat up and looked around the loft, surprised to find everyone watching him. He adjusted his shirt collar when he realized the loft was silent.

When had the music stopped?

The man seated in the corner tossed back a shot, the music starting as though his drinking were a cue. Hyun shifted on the couch, feeling like a fish out of water. Himura handed him a shot glass.

“Here,” Mr. Green Eyes said, taking an expensive bottle of sake from the table.

“I don’t drink with people I don’t know,” Hyun said. “Your name?”

“Raphael Yun,” the answer came, “of the Yun Family.”

Hyun gaped.

He was treated to a brilliant smile, and then Raphael poured sake into his glass.

“Drink up my little Rabbit. This tunnel runs very deep,” Raphael said.

***

Lee Suilan,2016
  • Like 17
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

So they meet. By very strange means... Who was on the other side of the darknet? And for how long can they refrain from kissing...? LOL

Link to comment

GREAT closing line. I'm so glad you decided to do a speedy update for this story. I was delighted to see that we may get more time with characters we know!

Link to comment
On 03/02/2016 08:24 AM, Puppilull said:

So they meet. By very strange means... Who was on the other side of the darknet? And for how long can they refrain from kissing...? LOL

A while it seems....Hyun is prickly...lolz.

Link to comment
On 03/02/2016 09:02 AM, Geemeedee said:

GREAT closing line. I'm so glad you decided to do a speedy update for this story. I was delighted to see that we may get more time with characters we know!

Yay, I sorta miss Dimitri and Talin anyway...thanks for reading.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..