Jump to content
    lilansui
    • Author
  • 4,237 Words
  • 2,712 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Forgiving Heart - 1. Chapter 1

Life…

the most precious gift…

the most fragile…

One

“I brought you a care package.”

Hyun Lee smiled at his little sister’s words. She always brought a care package, every Saturday, never missed a day.

“Your place is a mess,” Mina complained on the phone.

Hyun sat back in his seat, his gaze on the code running on his screen. He was close, so close.

“Mina, if I cleaned up, you would be bored on Saturdays when you come over.”

“Vegging out on your couch watching movies is work too,” Mina said. “At least throw out the ramen containers when you’re finished with them. Your coffee table is going to buckle under a week’s worth of these.”

Hyun adjusted the last few lines of the code he’d dedicated three months on and hit enter. His smile widened when the final test cleared. Three months of dedicated development, and debugging…he was finally done.

“Mina,” Hyun said elated. “Oppa will buy you anything you want to eat tonight. What do you want?”

“Why do you sound so excited?” Mina asked.

Hyun leaned over the phone on his desk, grinning wide.

“I have finished the project I told you about. We’re going to be rich, Mina. You wait. I’ll buy you anything you want.”

“I think I’ve heard that before,” Mina said, he could hear water running at her end of the line. “Mina, I’ll get you a car for your twenty-first birthday.” She mimicked his voice. “Oppa, I’m twenty-two now. I have yet to see the car.”

“Patience, little sis,” Hyun said, stretching his arms above his head. Damn, his shoulder muscles were tight. He got up from his desk and went to get a cup of coffee. He had a very important message to write to his boss.

The dungeon he called an office was quiet. He worked with four other programmers in the basement at Arocom Industries; they were all gone for the day. His job was to debug security software sent by the elitist software programmers on the sixth floor of the building. He’d worked for Arocom three years now. It was time to climb up out of the basement. The program he’d written would guarantee him a place above those sixth floor bastards. He could feel it.

Pouring dark sludge into his mug, he added enough sugar to soak the coffee and took a sip. Hyun grimaced at the bittersweet taste and dreamed of the espresso machine he’d seen on the sixth floor. He’d seen it on a rare visit up there. He was so going to insist on one in his new office.

“Oppa,” Mina’s voice broke into his thoughts. “Are you day dreaming again?”

Mina was his only family. She was three years younger than him. Their parents had died six years ago and he’d become her guardian at nineteen.

Hyun returned to his messy desk and picked up his phone.

“I’m here,” he said. “How was work this week?”

“I’m getting used to it,” Mina said. “Everyone still talks too fast, but I’m learning to listen. You should have pushed me to learn my English. New York is no joke.”

“You’re doing fine,” Hyun said.

They had moved to New York three years ago when he’d gotten the job offer at Arocom Industries. Wanting to give Mina a good life, he’d packed up their house in Seoul, bought two one-way tickets and moved to New York. Mina was now an intern at an interior design firm in Lower Manhattan. She’d worked hard to get the position after her graduation from NYU. He hoped she’d find a place soon.

***

“You always tell me I’m doing fine,” Mina said, rinsing dishes in the sink.

She worked fast, clearing the kitchen counters, and throwing out the ramen containers into the trash. Her big brother was absentminded when it came to housekeeping. She’d long learned not to get upset with him.

“Should I take you out tonight?” Hyun asked, he sounded excited. His project must have gone well.

“Really?” Mina grinned; she loved it when her brother took her out. “Take me to that restaurant on fifth. The one everyone gets dressed up to enter. Can you afford it?”

Hyun chuckled. “I’ll make an exception today and break the piggy bank. Oppa is feeling lucky.”

She laughed because she loved it when Hyun was happy. He rarely got the chance to relax, always so busy.

“I—

She broke off when the front door slammed open. Two men came in, their faces covered with dark masks. She dropped the glass she was rinsing in the sink.

“Mina?” Hyun called. “Are you okay?”

Oppa—,” she started, frozen in place when one of the men pointed a gun at her. The man holding the gun pressed a finger against his lips, indicating for her to remain silent.

“Mina?” Hyun’s voice filled the kitchen. “Did you drop the phone into the sink? Yah, you should at least tell me when you’re hanging up.”

Tears filled her eyes as the second man reached her. He held a syringe, his hand covering her mouth before she could scream.

The syringe hurt when he stuck it into her left arm. She struggled against his strong hold.

“Mina!” Hyun called again, his tone urgent.

It was the last thing she heard before she blacked out.

***

“Mina,” Hyun said, staring at his phone.

The call wasn’t disconnected. He frowned and tapped on the screen.

“Did you go to the bathroom—?

“Lee Hyun,” an unfamiliar voice said and he sat up in panic.

“Who are you? Where is my sister?”

“Safe,” the voice said. “You have something we want.”

“Where is Mina?” Hyun stood up, pushing his chair back too fast, it fell over.

“Safe, but only as long as you co-operate,” the voice said. “You have a nice apartment. You’re going to have to finish cleanup. I’ll call you at a later date.”

The line went dead and Hyun stood in his office afraid to move. He stared at the successful tests on the screens on his desk, feeling like he was going crazy. Mina’s voice calling him oppa filled his head, and he dialed her number, hoping he was day dreaming.

“Your call cannot be completed at this time,” the telephone service lady said.

Hyun ended the call and dialed again. He tried five more times before panic truly set in.

Mina’s phone was off. So…this wasn’t a dream. He should go home…or go to the police…shit, what—

Hyun grabbed the flash disk on a chain on his neck and saved his work, clearing any trace of the code he’d written on his workstation. He wore the chain again and grabbed up his bag, the one with his laptop.

Hyun ran out of the office, determined to get to his apartment. He half-hoped this was a prank Mina was playing on him. A rude joke that he’d yell at her for, and things would be okay again, but that foreign voice had chilled him. The subway seemed to take too long, when he got off at his stop, he ran to his building, ignoring the elevator, he took the stairs to the fifth floor two at a time.

He rushed in to 507 in a mad dash, slamming the door against the wall.

“Mina,” he called looking around his neat living room. He stopped in the kitchen when he saw the broken glass in the sink. Dropping his bag on the floor, he went back to the living room and saw Mina’s handbag on his couch. When he saw her shoes at the entrance, he knew…he knew this wasn’t a dream.

***

Raphael Yun was having a bad day at the office.

More of a bad six months, he thought.

Since he’d returned to Manhattan from Colston, Ohio, he hadn’t had a good day. He missed his lazing around days, or perhaps he missed keeping track of his brother in-law, Talin. That was always more fun than actual work.

“Seven cargo ships, six destinations,” Himura said beside him.

“Six?” Raphael studied the map on the overhead screen again. “Why do we have two ships heading into the Port of Mombasa?”

“The Helena called in with engine trouble. The Alora helped them out.”

Raphael scowled. “Call Helena’s captain, he has two hours to set course for Durban. Our time table is tight.”

“Yes Sir,” Himura said.

Raphael studied the two red dots on the screen. The Helena carried legitimate merchandise, his first attempt at turning the tide in the Yun Family shipping business.

Raphael paced the floor of the command room, his gaze sweeping over the team of technicians working at different workstations. They tracked cargo ships, and delivery tracks moving across the world. Raphael’s gaze returned to the two ships heading into the Port of Mombasa.

“You look concerned.” Himura came to stand beside him.

“The Helena,” Raphael’s frown deepened. “The captain on that ship is new. This is his first run with us. What are the odds that the Helena would run into trouble?”

“He checked out,” Himura said.

“Recheck his details,” Raphael said.

Raphael hated discrepancy. His cargo ships ran tight schedules. He knew his plans to turn the business legitimate weren’t popular. Having a ship he’d assigned to start his venture in trouble raised serious alarms in his head.

Himura moved to the closest workstation. The young woman there brought up the new captain’s profile.

“Captain Henry,” Himura read. “His family is living in Seattle. His wife is thirty-eight, she’s a stay-at-home mom. The daughter is in tenth grade.”

“Where are they?” Raphael asked, knowing Himura would have them tracked.

“The daughter is at school; his wife is doing grocery shopping, nothing abnormal.”

“Finances?” Raphael asked.

“Normal,” Himura said. “Henry’s first payment cleared yesterday, that’s why the wife is out shopping. We’re holding the second installment to deposit when he docks in Durban. The wife’s finances are iffy, she sells jewelry online.”

Raphael scratched his jaw. His eyes were gritty, he needed sleep, but he couldn’t rest until the Helena was back on track.

“Connect me to Takumi,” Raphael said.

Takumi was the captain of the Alora.

The call went through fast.

“Takumi here.”

“Your cargo manifest cannot pass inspection,” Raphael said in greeting. “Cut the Helena loose.”

“Couldn’t afford to stop, Sir,” Takumi said. “We’ve escaped a hostile scenario, men wanting to board the Helena when it stopped. Captain Henry was nervous and would have surrendered to keep his crew alive.”

Raphael cursed under his breath. Going legitimate was going to be the death of him.

“Do not leave international waters,” Raphael ordered. “Make it to your designated coordinates, Takumi. We’ll send the Helena support in the next hour.”

“Sir—

“Himura, who can we call in that region?” Raphael asked, cutting off communication with Takumi.

“Getti is close. He is in Dar,” Himura said.

“The Helena’s engines are new. Any engine trouble will have been caused by one of the crew,” Raphael said. “Tell Getti we’ll double his compensation. Get him and his team to the Helena, ask him to include serious security gear.”

Himura reached for his cell phone to make the call and Raphael reconnected to Takumi.

“Sir, we’ve stopped. The Helena’s crew is antsy,” Takumi said.

“Getti is on his way, he’ll reach you in,” Raphael glanced at Himura who lifted three fingers up in the air. “Thirty minutes. Keep the Helena’s crew busy with a safety drill. Once you see Getti’s copter, get back on course. Your cargo is late, Captain.”

“Yes sir,” Takumi said. “I’m sorry—

“We’ll talk more when you’re on land,” Raphael said. “Don’t drop your guard with Captain Henry.”

“Yes Sir,” Takumi ended the call.

Raphael turned to Himura.

“Getti knows what to do,” Himura said.

Raphael wiped a hand down his face and frowned at Himura.

“Find out why the Helena would get engine trouble so soon after maintenance.”

Himura gave him a short nod, as he turned and left the command room in quick strides.

***

Himura watched Raphael leave, his gaze speculative. Reaching for his phone, he made a call to Hong Kong. The call rang once, before it was answered.

“The Helena is in trouble,” Himura said. “They have started as you’d said; best keep me in the loop.”

***

Raphael rubbed his right shoulder, then his left as he went up the stairs. Unbuttoning his shirt as he reached the third floor, he headed to his bedroom ready for a hot shower and his bed.

Under the heavy spray, Raphael closed his eyes hoping to ease the ache between his shoulders. Lately, he felt as though he wasn’t getting enough rest. He wondered if he missed the quiet life he’d adopted the past few years. He’d lived in Colston for four years, looking after his brother in-law…well, he’d watched over Talin from a far. Talin thought Raphael was a nuisance, but Raphael hadn’t been able to stay away from Talin.

Raphael pushed his hair back, allowing the hot water to sweep down his face. Perhaps he missed seeing Talin, even from a distance. Six months away and he still worried after the man.

Raphael turned off the water, reached for a towel from the rail and wrapped it around his hips. Stepping out of the shower stall, he grabbed a second towel and used it to dry his long dark hair. His motions were negligent as he walked into his bedroom, stopping by his bed; he dropped both towels in an armchair. Turning down the lights, Raphael slid between white cool sheets and let out a soft sigh when he rested his head on the pillows.

***

“You’re the good one,” Raphael said, smiling at his identical twin brother. “I’m the dark one. That’s why it’s so easy for me to accept our father’s world.”

Gabriel reached out and poked Raphael’s upper arm. “I’ve told you to make a stand with father.”

“What if I don’t to?” Raphael asked. “You have Talin. You’ve built Pan Limited together. I have the burden of the family. If I don’t start liking it, it will consume me. Besides, father threatens to come after you whenever I think of leaving.”

Gabriel sighed…pulling Raphael into a tight hug.

“You’re not alone,” Gabriel said. “You’ll always have me supporting your decisions, Rafa.”

Raphael closed his eyes breathing in his brother’s scent, holding Gabriel tight. When he opened his eyes, Gabriel was gone, and all Raphael stared at was a white pillow. The alarm beeped on his bedside table, his phone buzzed an alert beside the alarm.

He sighed and pushed hair out of his eyes.

Gabriel was gone. That truth greeted him every morning.

He sat up with a groan.

He turned off the alarm and picked up his phone: a message, sliding his finger over the screen.

“You awake? I’ll see you on the hill. Don’t forget -T.”

Raphael smiled.

Talin was in New York.

The day was starting on an exquisite note.

***

Raphael whistled his way to the dining room, an unfinished melody that fit his mood. He sat at the head of the table, thanking the young man who brought his breakfast of mixed fruit salad, a fried egg and cinnamon oatmeal. Taking his spoon, he glanced up to find Himura watching him with wide eyes.

“What?” Raphael touched his jaw. “Do I have shaving cream on my face?”

Himura shook his head. “You look impeccable as always, Sir. May I ask why you’re so happy this morning?”

Raphael took a bite of his oatmeal. “Can’t I be happy?”

Himura gaped. “That’s not what I meant, Sir. I mean—

“Relax, Himura,” Raphael said. “I don’t want to spoil a good morning. Please, eat your breakfast.”

Raphael ate in silence after that enjoying his meal, his thoughts on Talin. He wondered if Talin had brought Dimitri along with him. Dimitri was Talin’s new partner; they hadn’t done their wedding yet. If Raphael saw even a hint of unhappiness in Talin, he’d make sure Himura gave it to Dimitri.

Dimitri was too strong for him, but…Raphael glanced at Himura. Himura could take Dimitri; they were well matched in a fight.

“Sir,” Himura said meeting his gaze.

Raphael winked. “Schedule a trip to the cemetery today. I need a white rose.”

“Yes Sir,” Himura said. “I wanted to tell you, your father has sent word. He wants to see you.”

Raphael dropped his fork in his bowl of fruits.

“I told you I want a good morning. Why do you need to bring up my father?”

“Because,” Himura said his tone gentle. “You asked me to find out how the Helena would have engine trouble.”

Raphael sat back in his seat. A frown creasing his forehead, he shook his head as his appetite disappeared. He didn’t need Himura to elaborate his statement. His father was against any legitimization plans. His father would have the Helena sunk before he let Raphael drive the family toward the straight and narrow. There were too many connections to sever.

Raphael sighed, his good mood evaporating.

“What does father want?” Raphael asked.

“Arocom Industries,” Himura said. “Your father acquired the company around the same time you and Talin were transferring shares to buy out Vlad.”

Raphael frowned. “I don’t handle acquisition. Talin’s problem was unique. I helped out because he was going to get himself killed. I’m strictly shipping and retrieval. So, why is father looking for me?”

“Arocom Industries develops security software. They have recently attempted a foray into the financial market.” Himura passed him a folder. “They’ve developed security software used by several major banks across the world.”

Raphael opened the folder and stared at the picture of a young man. “Who is this?”

“Lee Hyun,” Himura said, “a talented programmer who works for Arocom Industries. He’s gone missing.”

“What does he have to do with father?” Raphael asked putting the folder aside. “More to the point, why does father think it concerns me?”

“Your father believes Lee Hyun is working for a competitor. His co-workers claim he was developing a program that could jeopardize the integrity of Arocom’s security software. However, there is no proof, and no one knows where Lee Hyun has gone to.”

“Father wants me to find this Lee Hyun,” Raphael said. “I’m trying to take a step away from this business.”

“Can you really?” Himura asked him then. “You’re practically the heir. You’ve lived in it too long, Sir. I understand you’re trying to change because of Master Talin and how he’s managed to keep his life—

“Leave him out of this,” Raphael snapped.

“It can’t be helped,” Himura said his tone unapologetic. “Master Talin changed your brother in many ways, and in some ways, Talin’s struggle in Colston changed you too, Sir. But you can’t run away from what you are too long.”

“I can try,” Raphael said taking his napkin and dropping it on his unfinished food. He pushed back his chair and got to his feet.

“If you do this, Sir,” Himura continued. “You might find yourself falling over a cliff with no net to stop you from hitting the bottom.”

“Fuck cliffs, Himura,” Raphael said with a scowl. “I’m going to push you down the stairs if you don’t stop ruining my morning with your stupid philosophy. Come on, I need to understand everything about Arocom Industries before I meet my father. We have to get this done quick too. I’m going to meet Talin today.”

***

The weak afternoon sun turned Green Wood Cemetery into a stunning landscape.

Quiet, beautiful, Gabriel would approve of this place, Raphael Yun thought.

Talin had chosen Gabriel’s resting place well.

A cold wind swept by, the chill piercing, it felt like he would never be warm again. Winter was here. Buttoning his coat, Raphael continued over a small hill, his steps slowing when he saw the lone figure standing at his destination.

Talin.

He smiled.

Raphael paused a few feet away and watched Talin place a red rose on the marble gravestone they had chosen together. Well, he’d chosen, Talin hadn’t been much of a decision maker at the time.

Talin looked up and saw him. The warmth in Talin’s beautiful brown eyes always managed to disperse the darkness inside him.

Raphael closed the distance between them, closing his eyes when Talin wrapped him in a tight hug.

“You look good, li’l brother,” Raphael said in greeting.

Talin stepped back.

“You too, Raphael,” Talin said.

Raphael turned to the gravestone. His gaze on the red rose resting on the top.

“How is Dimitri?”

“Good,” Talin said, his tone light, happy. “He’s waiting for me at the car.”

“He could have come with you.”

“I wanted time alone. There were things I needed to say to Gabriel.” Talin put his hands in his leather jacket, his gaze on Gabriel’s headstone.

Raphael had seen how much Talin had loved Gabriel, had seen how losing Gabriel had affected Talin. It was a miracle to see him smile at all. Much of that he owed to Dimitri.

“I hope Dimitri’s looking after you.”

“We look after each other,” Talin said, his tone happy.

“As it should be,” Raphael said, glancing at Talin. “He would want you to be happy.”

Talin looked at him then.

“Gabriel,” Raphael said. “He would love it if you laughed, and lived again, Talin. I know, because it’s what I want for you.”

Talin bit his bottom lip hard. “I won’t ever forget him.”

“I know,” Raphael said, reaching out to squeeze Talin’s left shoulder. “You were the best part of him.”

“Raphael.”

Talin shivered and Raphael removed the scarf around his neck. He stepped closer to Talin and wrapped the warm black scarf around Talin’s neck.

“It’s getting cold. Go back to Dimitri now,” Raphael said. “I’ll visit you two once in a while. See how happy you are.”

“What about you?” Talin asked, a frown dancing on his forehead. “Where will you be?”

Raphael pressed a chaste kiss on Talin’s forehead.

“Around,” he said. “Never too far for you, Talin, you’re my precious li’l brother.”

Talin studied him for a moment then nodded. He gave Gabriel’s gravestone one last glance before he turned to leave. He took two steps then stopped and looked at Raphael.

“I don’t blame you for what happened to Gabriel,” Talin said. “Vlad is responsible for Gabriel’s death. She paid the price and that’s enough for me. Gabriel loved you, Raphael. So…forgive yourself, he’d want to see you happy too, as do I.”

Talin’s words should have relieved the ache in his heart. Instead, the ache grew larger, heavier. He gave Talin a short nod and watched him walk away. He’d held off his grief for ages, focusing on protecting Talin.

He turned back to Gabriel’s gravestone when Talin disappeared over the hill.

“I envy you, Gabe. Talin is one in a lifetime,” he said to his brother.

He placed the white rose he’d brought with him on the gravestone beside Talin’s red one.

“Talin’s happy again. I’m sure that makes you smile.”

Raphael let a heavy sigh escape, closing his eyes when the wind picked up. He took in a deep breath and stared up at the cloudy sky. He’d been born one-half of a whole. Gabriel, his mirror image, the other half of the whole, and the one person he could trust in this world. Sometimes it didn’t seem real that his brother was gone.

Yet, here he stood.

Alone, one-half… and despite Talin’s soothing words, he was to blame for Gabriel’s death. He opened his eyes and stared at Gabriel’s name on the cold marble gravestone.

“I miss you,” he whispered.

***

Raphael walked back to the road ten minutes later. Clearing the small hill, he wasn’t surprised when a figure emerged from behind one of the more elaborate tombstones.

“Himura, lurking is creepy.”

“Talin is headed back to Colston.” Himura matched his step. “Are you going to leave them alone? It’s not safe.”

“You must not know me at all,” Raphael said.

“I’m not too sure these days. That little city made you soft, boss.”

“Who says this?” Raphael asked, pausing to look at Himura. “My men?”

“Relax. Where is your sense of humor?”

“Keep joking and you’re going to become a permanent resident in this scenic place.”

“Definitely no sense of humor,” Himura scoffed.

They continued walking to the black unmarked car parked at the right-hand side of the road.

“Use our permanent assets,” Raphael said when his driver opened the back passenger door for him. “A couple is perfect. Send them to Colson, they should find a place close to Talin. I want weekly reports, Himura, especially now. I feel uneasy. Do you understand?”

Himura gave him a sharp nod. “Consider it done.”

Raphael got into the car and Himura closed the door before hurrying around to the front passenger seat.

“Where to, Sir?” Himura asked then.

Raphael gave the cemetery one last glance. Now that his brother’s matters were settled, it was time to deal with the next crisis. Glancing at the time on his watch, he settled back in his seat.

“JFK, international departures,” Raphael said.

Taking the leather bound folder on the seat next to him, Raphael opened it to look at the first class ticket to Hong Kong.

He had an overdue meeting with his father.

***

span>Oppa - used by girls to call their older brothers.
Welcome to Raphael & Hyun.  
Thanks for reading. happy.png
Sui.
Lee Suilan,2016
  • Like 21
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

So nice to get to read Raphael's story! I found his fate so tragic, even if he wasn't exactly innocent. Then again, who is? Perhaps now, we'll see him get to be the man he wants to be.

Link to comment

Oo yay! Even as Raphael seems to be torn up by the past, I'm excited for his story.. Already the drama is set.. Like Puppi says, maybe we will get to see him come into himself. That also means too we will get to visit with Talin and Dimitri..

Link to comment
On 02/29/2016 02:33 PM, Defiance19 said:

Oo yay! Even as Raphael seems to be torn up by the past, I'm excited for his story.. Already the drama is set.. Like Puppi says, maybe we will get to see him come into himself. That also means too we will get to visit with Talin and Dimitri..

Yes, a small glimpse from time to time of Talin and Dimitri :) Raphael is definitely a man on a learning curve...:) Thanks for reading!

Link to comment
On 02/29/2016 08:24 AM, Puppilull said:

So nice to get to read Raphael's story! I found his fate so tragic, even if he wasn't exactly innocent. Then again, who is? Perhaps now, we'll see him get to be the man he wants to be.

Raphael's past is a bit tragic, it felt right to explore what that would be like to follow his grief with Gabe. So..voila, I hope you love it as much as Dimitri and Talin. Thanks Puppi!

Link to comment

ohh i'm so glad i started this story after a  couple of chapters had posted(now i don't have wait :P ) the other story was really good and this is starting out the same way!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..