Jump to content
    lilansui
    • Author
  • 3,731 Words
  • 1,799 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Forgiving Heart - 10. Chapter 10

A small buzz on his wrist, drew Raphael’s attention from the hotel manager to his watch. The screen was a shade of red, the countdown at four minutes and dropping. Taking his phone out of his pocket, he accessed the video feed from Hyun. The number of red dots heading toward Himura and Hyun was alarming.

Four minutes, Raphael hoped his luck still held.

Gripping his phone tight, Raphael smiled at the manager.

“Mr. Nesbitt, why don’t I save us from a torturous evening of you trying to convince me to love your hotel, and me playing hard to get. Show me your vaults.”

Raphael stood and headed out of the ballroom determined to change the script on the plot Himura and Hyun planned earlier.

“Mr. Reed,” Mr. Nesbitt said, hurrying after him. “We don’t allow anyone to see our vaults without proper authorization.”

“Am I anyone to you?” Raphael asked, his gaze searching the lobby.

His grip on his cane tightened when he saw Lucian Pajari sitting in the bar across the ballroom. Lucian was deep in conversation with a man seated at his table. Lucian didn’t see him as he had his back to Raphael.

Raphael kept his gaze on Lucian and told Mr. Nesbitt.

“If so, it would be better if I checked out tonight—

“Sir,” Mr. Nesbitt cut in fast, almost grabbing Raphael’s arm in alarm. “Please, no need for such extreme measures. Maybe, I can show you a bit of our security. Allay your fears and doubts. Follow me this way to the world-class control room.”

Raphael gave Lucian’s back one last glance and followed the manager to a concealed door behind the reception desk. Once they were in the security room, Raphael watched the screens, searching....

Hyun was thorough.

His little rabbit had made everything look normal, even the vault door on the screens looked locked, while he knew it was quite open by now. Glancing at the time on his watch, Raphael sent the manager a small smile.

“Your systems look promising. I need to discuss details with my business manager,” Raphael said. “Your facilities look secure, but we must be sure, you understand. Would you object to a test?”

“A test?” Mr. Nesbit asked, looking unwilling. “How would you arrange on having this test? We have other clients—

“They might be satisfied with your work, but I need assurances,” Raphael insisted. “There are those who will go to any lengths to acquire my cargo. There are risks I need to consider.”

Raphael watched struggle cross the manager’s features; caught between declining and accepting. Raphael slid his left hand into his pocket and got his cell phone. He dialed into the communication network Hyun had setup.

“Lawrence,” Raphael said. “I think I might have a solution to our current storage problem. But, I’m unclear on their security measures, which has me on the fence—,”

“We’ll do it,” the Manager interrupted with wide eyes.

“Himura says there is a team coming into the vault. We have less than a minute,” Hyun said into his ear. “If they find us here, we’re done, Raphael. I don’t want to die. Do something.”

Raphael moved away from Mr. Nesbitt and whispered to Hyun.

“How much longer to get it open?”

The ensuing silence was unnerving; Raphael glanced at the manager and offered him a smile. He tapped his cane on the floor, closing his eyes as he waited.

“It’s done. Himura has is it open,” Hyun said. “Now what? I hear them already, they are outside the vault.”

“Are our assets ready?” Raphael asked.

“Yes Sir,” Himura’s voice came over the line.

“Plan B, make sure you protect the little rabbit.”

“Yes Sir.”

Raphael ended the call and turned to the manager.

“I’m glad you have consented. I’m not a patient man.” Raphael gave Mr. Nesbitt a smirk. “I like to get things done fast.”

“Sir?”

“Refresh your cameras,” Raphael ordered.

Mr. Nesbitt’s eyes widened in panic, he barked the order to the security team at their stations and they all gasped at the images of the vault door wide open.

Inside the vault, Himura moved into an open space just as a horde of men in black camouflage entered the vault.

Lucian’s men, Raphael smirked.

Lucian’s men poured into the vault, holding guns, their faces covered with black masks. Himura stood in an open corridor between rows of lockers his hands held up in the air.

Himura stood still, not daring to move as Lucian’s men surrounded him.

Raphael pointed to the cameras.

“Look at that,” Raphael said, shaking his head, disappointment clear on his face. “Is that your security?”

“No, what are your men doing in the vault, Mr. Reed?” the manager turned on him, his eyes wide with accusation.

“My men?” Raphael frowned, and moved to point at Himura, tapping the screen. “That is my man. If those men are not yours, what is this?”

The manager gaped, petrified, he grabbed a red phone on the desk and dialed one. The alarms in the hotel went off, and Raphael shook his head.

“This is an outrage,” Raphael complained, tapping his cane on the floor. “They told me you had the best security on the island. I didn’t believe it, but Mr. Petrov insisted.”

“Mr. Petrov?” Mr. Nesbitt turned to him in horror.

“Yes, he referred me to the Black Orchid,” Raphael said. “I must call him and tell him—

“No.” The Manager almost screamed. “We shall handle this. This is a minor problem. Do not worry, nothing will be lost here.”

“Are you sure?” Raphael asked, watching the screen intently. One of the men approached Himura, clearly intending to search him. “My man is about to face his death in there. How can I trust your words?”

“Allow us to show you the measures we’re willing to take to protect your cargo,” Mr. Nesbitt said, moving to coordinate his security team.

Raphael remained by the large screen, hoping Himura’s plan would work. He worried for Hyun. He hoped Hyun wasn’t too scared. This had been a bad plan bringing Hyun along. He should have left him in New York. Better yet, with his little sister at Talin’s house. He should never have involved Hyun—

Biting his lip to keep his concerns at bay, Raphael watched with interest as one by one Lucian’s men fell to the floor in a wide circle around Himura.

“What is this?” Raphael asked, his gaze on Himura who dropped his arms slowly.

“We call it, the Precision Sniper,” Mr. Nesbitt said with pride. “A robotic system designed to shoot powerful tranquilizer darts at intruders within the vault. It targets heat signatures, and takes out the intruder within seconds. We need to interrogate them for information. This is the only reason they are not dead.”

Raphael nodded, and pointed at Himura.

“I need him,” Raphael said. “He is very useful to me.”

“You understand the kind of exceptions I will need to make to overlook this?” Mr. Nesbitt asked, seizing on an opportunity.

“I understand, but you too must clearly see our plan to test your vault worked. You clearly have weakness. Although, your Precision Sniper is very impressive,” Raphael said, nodding his head as though in deep thought. “I like the idea of getting to interrogate any thief who dares steal my cargo. Lawrence, my Business Manager, will be in touch with you. He will help you upgrade your systems to my specifications. Is this acceptable?”

“Yes Sir,” Mr. Nesbitt said, his smile wide. “Your employee is safe. We will release him as soon as he tells us how he got in to the vault.”

“That’s good news.” Raphael rubbed his stomach. “With that off my chest, I think I might try the steak you so graciously had made for me.”

Mr. Nesbitt shuddered and gave him a nod, as Raphael left the security room.

Raphael left the security room, keeping his slow gait, though he wanted to race out the main doors and go in search of Hyun. He needed to see Hyun, but that would have to wait a few more hours. The wait was torture.

“I should have known,” Lucian said, stepping into his path.

Raphael stopped, forcing a smile for his unwanted guest.

“Lucian Pajari.”

“Sebastian Reed,” Lucian said with a loud laugh. “To think I’ve always wanted to make Mr. Reed’s acquaintance. I feel as though you’ve lied to my face, Sir. You’re a man full of mysteries. There appears to be a billion sides to you.”

“What about you?” Raphael asked, his gaze narrowed, knowing that Lucian could finish with one wrong word. “What do you hide here?”

“Nothing,” Lucian said, looking around the busy lobby. “I came for a party.”

“So did I,” Raphael said. “The manager recommends the steak. I’ve yet to taste it.”

“I have. It’s good,” Lucian took a step closer, so that they stood an inch apart. “Yun, what have you done to my men?”

“Surely, you don’t imagine I’m here on your business?” Raphael asked, his gaze holding Lucian’s deadly one.

“Aren’t you?”

Raphael smiled.

“I have money to make, and secure. There’s no time for petty schemes, Lucian.”

“I know you saved the Lee girl, liberated Hyun into your care,” Lucian said, steel in his gaze.

“So glad you got the memo,” Raphael said. “A little rabbit stumbled into my moving party and made a deal with me. You understand the nature of requests made through that party. It’s a pure deal. Both sides must keep a promise. I only tell you this because it’s important to keep trust.”

“Trust you?” Lucian asked, lifting a brow. “Very well, let’s try that for a change. Whatever business brought you here, I hope you are on the path I set you on. Your life depends on it.”

“Are you threatening me?” Raphael asked, his tone a note above a whisper.

“Well, you insist on trust. I’m giving you some. I know what you came to get here. You’ve won this round, so I’ll step away. With the understanding that you’ll keep it and don’t return it to the original owner. Otherwise, I will come for you and end your world as you know it.”

“That is twice now,” Raphael counted, his innards clawing at the need to punch Lucian’s princely face. “Your confidence is astonishing, considering I gave you everything you have.”

“Yes,” Lucian nodded in agreement. “For a price, one I paid without complaint. Since you were so helpful with Pajari Industries. I have decided that I will make you help me reach my goals. If you try to escape me, Raphael, I will come after your family and all you protect.”

Raphael looked away, his grip on his walking stick too tight. The thought of Hyun somewhere in the depths of this hotel making an escape kept him from fighting Lucian in this lobby. They needed to leave this island fast. Despite the Manager’s assurances, an incident in the vault would set off a chain of information leading back to Nicolae Petrov. Control of how that information got to Petrov was important, so he couldn’t give into his anger.

Raphael took in a deep breath and met Lucian’s gaze, this time hiding nothing of his true self.

“You are playing a deadly game,” Raphael said, allowing his anger to burn in his eyes. “My choices are limited at the moment, so I’ll play along. After all, you need to bring down a giant and I need answers from one. Our goals align. The moment they don’t, all bets are off. You still owe me a debt of life.”

“What life?” Lucian frowned, and then chuckled. “You don’t mean your twin brother?”

Raphael’s gaze narrowed.

“I keep long grudges.”

“What of Lee Hyun?” Lucian asked with a slow smile. “Will you give him back to me?”

“He is under my protection,” Raphael stated. “Him and what he loves, you’re not allowed to touch.”

“So possessive,” Lucian chuckled. “Didn’t think you’d ever see anything beyond Talin?”

“I’m complex in nature,” Raphael stepped back and let out a small laugh. “Well, Mr. Pajari, have a wonderful time here. I have matters to attend.”

“Running away?” Lucian teased.

“No, throwing you under the bus,” Raphael smiled, just as the doors to the security room opened and the Black Orchid security team hurried toward Lucian. “See you at the next location.”

***

“I’m really going to die this time,” Hyun murmured under his breath, feeling like a blind bat, stumbling through the worst of what seemed like nasty drainage. His mouth was bitter with the taste of his own vomit, having puked three times already. How could he not? Himura’s team had thrown him down a wide drainage pipe that clearly led to the intricate city drainage system. Suffocation from the stink seemed imminent.

He stunk, the air stunk, the fucking tunnel walls stunk, everything stunk.

Remembering Himura’s smirk as he pushed him into the vent in the corner of the vault Hyun groaned.

“I’m going to pay him back for this.” Hyun decided thinking his lungs couldn’t take more of the putrid stench. He would never take breathing for granted again. God, what did clean air smell like? Was his nose even going to recognize it when he reached it?

Hyun shuddered when he felt movement around his feet. The thought of any animal living in this insane hell left him wanting to scratch his skin in disgust. The thought of which made him shudder as his hands were covered in murk, thanks to his initial fall.

He was going to need a scalding bath filled with insecticide, vermicide, pesticide, whatever the hell other types of cides that existed. Heck, he might have to ingest one to clean out his insides.

Around him, a team of four mercenaries kept him moving at a fast pace. He couldn’t see their faces, it was too dark and their torches did not give off enough light. When he stumbled, they gripped his elbows tight, and pulled him up, kept him going through the disgusting maze.

His heart beat at a crazy beat, but strangely, his concern was not for himself, but for Raphael. Hyun frowned. Raphael was left at the hotel, presumably to help Himura. If Lucian was also at the Black Orchid, didn’t that mean he would meet Raphael?

That bastard Lucian had no good bone in his body, what if he tried to kill Raphael?

Hyun stumbled and the two strong hands holding him tightened. They brought him to a stop, and directed their torches to the roof of the tunnel. Hyun felt relief when a round opening appeared and a sturdy rope dropped down. Hyun was lifted out first.

The moment he hit fresh air, he took in deep gulps, his senses clearing off the nasty stench from inside the tunnels. The two men helping the rest up ordered him to stay close. Hyun sat on the grass, doubting he had any strength to go exploring. He took the opportunity to look around. They were in a small field, could be a park, Hyun couldn’t be sure. There were trees around, and patches of unkempt long grass.

“Let’s go,” the team leader said, helping Hyun to his feet.

They walked toward the long grass, and cleared it to find a van waiting on a deserted road. Hyun clutched his duffel bag as the team leader helped him into the back of the van.

“We are heading straight to the airport,” the team leader told him then sat in the chair beside Hyun.

“What about—

“I only know we have to get you to the hangar,” The team leader said, ending the conversation.

Hyun sighed and hugged his bag. The driver drove too fast, every turn he took reckless, Hyun closed his eyes and hoped Raphael had made it out.

***

Raphael played the role of Sebastian Reed until the moment he boarded his plane, six hours after meeting Lucian at the Black Orchid. Himura’s talk with the Black Orchid staff took much longer than he liked. Afterwards, Sebastian Reed opting to help with security upgrades and having his black money shipped to the Black Orchid vaults.

The promise was essential. Occupying the manager and staff with security measure upgrades delayed any vault checks. Delayed news getting to Petrov just yet.

“Lucian left first,” Himura said, filling the silence in the car. They were finally heading to the hangar to join Hyun. “The Black Orchid banned him from returning.”

“That’s the most they can do,” Raphael said, his gaze on the passing scenery. The driver was driving fast, but the speed still felt unsatisfactory. “Lucian is not concerned about little places like the Black Orchid. He is after bigger bounty.”

“Are you worried?” Himura asked.

Raphael narrowed his gaze, his fists clenching, remembering Lucian’s threats.

“I’m angry,” Raphael said. “I want to tear Lucian’s head off his shoulders. What do you think Hyun would think of me if I did that?”

Himura kept silent, and Raphael glanced at him wanting an answer.

“You can only do what needs done,” Himura said. “Hyun will make his own judgments.”

“Should I send him away?” Raphael asked. “Send him to Talin?”

Himura frowned. “Is that what you want?”

Raphael looked away then, and shook his head. His gaze returning to the passing scenery. He took in a deep breath and let it out slowly, but the knot in his chest refused to dissipate.

“With the upgrade, we have bought three days, maybe four with Petrov,” Himura speculated. “Sebastian Reed will need to disappear after this. Petrov cannot know you’re him.”

“That’s too bad. He was an interesting alias,” Raphael said, his thoughts on Hyun. Hyun’s plea earlier kept repeating in his head.

‘I don’t want to die. Do something, Raphael.’

Raphael sighed, and rubbed his forehead.

“Hyun?” he asked Himura again.

“Safe, already boarded. Sorry we can’t call them. The silence is necessary,” Himura said. “We need to have a clean take off.”

Raphael nodded his understanding, though the unease in his chest remained. It felt like he hadn’t taken an easy breath since he’d last seen Hyun.

When the car arrived at the hangar, Raphael’s anxiety levels had reached their maximum.

Ignoring Christine, who stood waiting at the entrance, he entered the bright sitting area, his gaze searching. When he didn’t spot Hyun, he turned to both Christine and Himura, his expression frightening.

“Why isn’t he here?” Raphael demanded. “You promised—

“Bedroom,” Christine cut in, pointing at the closed doors. “He was dirty when he came in and insisted on a shower. He hasn’t come out since.”

Raphael strode to the bedroom, entered, and closed the door.

Hyun was slumped against the pillows on the bed, his black bag resting at the foot of the bed. His eyes were closed, clearly asleep. Raphael walked around the bed to the right side, and sat on the edge of the bed, his gaze on Hyun, stunned. The knot in his chest dissipated, and he found he could breathe easier just looking at Hyun. His chest didn’t feel so tight anymore.

Wiping a hand down his face, Raphael sighed and wondered if he wasn’t losing it a little. All that worry suddenly gone at the sight of Hyun sleeping so peacefully. There was something wrong with him, Raphael decided.

He got up and was turning away when warm fingers wrapped around his left wrist. Turning to Hyun, he sat on the bed when he saw the younger man was awake.

“You’re back,” Hyun said, rubbing sleep from his eyes with his free hand. “You were gone so long. I…”

Raphael pulled Hyun into his arms and held him tight, burying his face into Hyun’s shoulder. Taking in a deep breath, he filled his lungs with Hyun’s clean scent.

“Raphael,” Hyun started, clearly surprised.

“Are you okay?” Raphael asked, leaning back to peer at him. “Did you get hurt?”

Hyun blinked, staring at him.

“No, I’m fine,” Hyun answered. “I stunk to high heaven though. I came in here to take a shower while we waited for you. I must have dozed off.”

Hyun brought a hand up to caress Raphael's jaw.

“What about you? I heard you met Lucian. Were you hurt?” Hyun frowned, and then moved his hand to Raphael’s stomach. “Your stomach, you are still healing and—,”

Raphael watched Hyun tag on his shirt to check on the red scar on his stomach. Hyun touched it with gentle fingers, the feel of it driving delicious thrills through Raphael. He grabbed Hyun’s wrist to stop him and when Hyun looked up, Raphael gave up trying to be noble.

***

Hyun gave a soft gasp when Raphael covered his lips in a hard kiss, his eyes widening, he stared at Raphael in surprise. When Raphael broke the kiss, their gazes clashed.

“You worried me,” Raphael said, his voice a rough whisper. “I can’t think straight with worrying about you, Hyun.”

“Raphael,” Hyun murmured.

Hope blooming. He wanted Raphael, he wanted to hold him, to have him, despite the billions of faults on Raphael’s shoulders. This man, Hyun took in a soft breath remembering the painting on the third floor. Even knowing Raphael loved another, Hyun found that he still wanted to have him.

“I—,” Raphael broke off, studying him.

When Raphael started to speak again, Hyun took the initiative and covered Raphael’s lips with his, throwing caution to the wind. The one thing he’d learned these past weeks was that life was short. So fleeting…then fleeting again. With bastards like Lucian around, who knew what waited for them tomorrow. He would taste Raphael’s sweetness, just once. Just this once, then worry about the consequences tomorrow.

A moan escaped when Raphael tilted his head, changing the angle of the kiss, moving closer, taking over their kiss. Hyun lost himself in tentative kisses, needy kisses, demanding kisses, a blazing inferno ignited, and they fell back on the pillows.

Lost in the delicious haze, Hyun opened his eyes in time to see Raphael’s hair tumble around them. Green eyes filled with desire, for him, held his. Hyun bit his lip when Raphael lay over him, and pressed a hot kiss into his neck. Raphael sucked on sensitive skin and Hyun arched into him, passion igniting.

***

Because some songs create entire moments....Selfish
Lee Suilan,2016
  • Like 19
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Sooo happy to see Hyun and Rafael again...love this intriguing story!!! Thank you for sharing!! :worship::heart:

Link to comment

Sweet surrender to a force more powerful than RaHyun! But they still have to work some things out. All in good time. They should just kiss for now!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..