Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Come Back To Us - 7. Chapter 7

Another week passed, and he completely forgot that Mrs. Hopkins had asked him to write them a letter at least once a week…

But he still wasn’t feeling confident enough to write anything on his own…

If he asked Jørgen, he was sure he would gladly help him, but…he didn’t feel like asking him for help. It wasn’t against him at all. There was just that voice in the back of his mind that told him not to do it.

But then who could he ask to help him?

If he couldn’t ask Jørgen, he wouldn’t ask the other Danes. Who was there left? Edgar and Paul’s friend who were both natives, but they definitely wouldn’t be his first choice.

There was only one person left he could think about, even if he wouldn’t be his first and favorite choice either… But…well…he was the least worst choice.

The lieutenant general.

That Friday evening, he went to see him. After a long search, he finally found his room.

“Oh, it’s you.”

He seemed surprised to see him when he opened the door.

“Yeah. But I can just go back to my dorm if you wish.”

“No, no, that’s fine, come in.”

Karl did as told. He heard the man close the door as he stopped walking towards the bed.

Before he could say or do anything, Karl spoke.

“There’s something I’d like to ask you. But you don’t have to say yes.”

He didn’t turn to face him as the words left his mouth.

“If that’s something I can do, then I will gladly accept.”

He wondered why, but that wasn’t the point right now. He didn’t want Mrs. Hopkins to worry because of him.

“Write.”

He finally turned around to see his reaction. The man looked quite taken aback.

“You can write a letter, right? In English I mean. I need your help for this.”

They contemplated each other quietly. Why was he looking so surprised? There was nothing surprising in the fact that a peasant didn’t either know how to write or read.

“Of course, come.”

They went to sit at a desk, a single leaf of paper resting on it, pen in hand. He gave to him the address which Mrs. Hopkins herself had written on a piece of paper just for him.

“So…what do you want to write in your letter?”

He wasn’t sure about what he wanted to tell them…

He glanced at the man before he shrugged slightly.

“‘Dunno.”

Of course, this wasn’t helping. But this was only the truth. Once again. Hey, he wasn’t one to lie.

They both remained silent for a long while.

“Well, you could tell them how you feel about being here.”

Karl thought about his sudden suggestion.

Did he really want to tell them how he truly felt deep down? That he wished that war could be over already, that he wished he could see them again soon, that he didn’t how to feel about going back home anymore because they had become like his second family during those few months?

That he wished he hadn’t had to leave.

Could he really do this?

“Tell them that everything is going well, that I’ve made a good friend who is Danish too, from Copenhagen.”

He felt that if he said more it wouldn’t be such a good idea…

“Tell them I hope they are all doing well, Emma too; that they are careful with the bombings still going on.”

What else could he think of…?

He couldn’t think about anything else.

This would be short, but at least they would hear from him.

There was another moment of silence.

“Are you sure that’s all you want to write to them?”

“Yeah.”

They stared into each other’s eyes for a few instants before the lieutenant general started writing. His writing was neat with long and graceful letters.

Shortly after he was was done with it, Karl knew what else he wanted to add.

“Tell them that Paul’s friend is weird.”

He looked shocked by what he had just said, but it was his letter.

Then he thought about the only person he shouldn’t be thinking of. Once again.

No. He wouldn’t ask them about him.

The man finished the writing in no time.

Nothing happened afterwards.

Karl just struggled with his own thoughts which seemed to get harder with every new day.

“You’re quite close to these people, right?”

He looked up to meet his eyes.

Was he going to pity him now?

“Why do you care?”

He may have sounded rude, but it was just plain.

He didn’t reply immediately. He didn’t have quick response like Paul’s friend. But at least he wasn’t rude like him. Even if he had no particular reason being nice to him.

“Because I can see you’re hurt.”

Was it just because he was like the Hopkins?

“Don’t worry about me.”

There it was again. That silence which he couldn’t decipher.

“I’m a father. I’ve got three daughters older than you. So as a father it’s normal to care about this kind of things. I just can’t ignore it.”

Three children… just like his father.

“You miss them, right?”

“Don’t change the subject. We’re talking about you.”

“Maybe I just don’t want to talk about me and my feelings.”

He looked somewhat embarrassed. The endless silence was enough proof of it.

“I’m sorry. It’s not against you at all. It’s just…” he couldn’t seem to find the right words to explain the dark secrets that were carefully kept hidden where no one could get if the walls didn’t break. He needed to build walls to protect himself. It was like in a house. Where you’re loved, protected safe by strong walls. Home is a place where you can never get hurt.

He didn’t want to suffer anymore. He didn’t want to get hurt again. He didn’t want to share his feelings with a man he hardly knew, even if he had good intentions.

“That’s okay. I’m a bit too nosy. I shouldn’t have started that conversation. You only wanted my help in the first place. And it’s all good now. I guess you’d like to go back to your quarters now.”

Karl kept looking down. Did he really want to be that kind of person? It all started going wrong with that war…

He kept thinking for a while about everything and anything. He eventually glanced up at the letter.

“Could you teach me how to read and write in Danish?”

For him, it was important to learn more about his native tongue.

Even without looking at him, he was sure the man looked taken aback by his request.

“Are you sure you want me to be the one to do this?” He eventually asked.

“Yeah.” He finally glanced at him.

It would be a way to spend time together, even if he didn't particularly want it, but since the man seemed to want to get to know him better.

Their eyes met and they didn’t look away for a long while.

“There’s one book I brought with me which you’ll be able to use to practice. The Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Andersen. It was my daughters’ favourite book when they were only little girls.”

That name was unfamiliar to him. And the reason why this book wouldn’t leave him was both heart-warming and heart-wrenching. Was he only trying to create some kind of bond with him because he missed his daughters too much and there were no girls here anyway?

Most likely.

“Can we start now?”

He was looking even more surprised now.

He didn’t want the man to be sad.

His heart was probably too pure and kind.

It was probably why he had been suffering so much.

But he would endure.

He had Viking blood in his veins.

Hey everyone! :)
So here you go with another chapter! Not much is happening for now, but time is nedded to create bonds between the characters :)
Take care ❤️
Copyright © 2022 LittleCherryBlossom26; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Love 4
  • Wow 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Karl took some action to reconnect. He reached out to a most unlikely source. An older military superior officer and father of three. The man was surprised but agreed to write a letter to the Hopkins and then , after they got along , to help Karl learn how to read and write in Danish.

Karl found a kind-hearted father figure and the older man found a replacement for his three daughters. I assume he really enjoyed being a father and helping his kids grow up. Karl and his need for basic help had to be appealing to his paternal instincts.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..