Jump to content
    LJH
  • Author
  • 2,177 Words
  • 1,543 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Paradigm Shift - 2. Chapter 2

This is a sequel to the first chapter.

Chapter 2

The last two years had been a blessing, a pungent aroma, a delicious meal. My stomach snarled . I yearned for coke in a glass filled with ice and to sip it without being watched and to admire the color in a garden instead of cruising Bear bars. Breakfast in bed? A shower? A gentle man to cuddle? I wanted to wake up in the morning and feel skin beside me. No sex.

I knew that wouldn’t happen.

I don’t know how long I drove. Maybe an hour or two. When I stopped there were cars parked around me and a sign that read; ECO Hotel. I knew I was eastbound, and close to the highway to Mpumalanga. I turned my cell phone on and twenty five missed calls waited for a reply; all from Roland. I turned it off and grabbed my briefcase and laptop, and the half bottle of tequila lying on the back seat. I slammed the car door shut and entered the front office of the hotel.

Camera’s watched every move I made. The door opened into a narrow reception room. It resembled a security prison with steel gates and bars covering the windows and doors. No one was at the desk and I stepped forward to hit the bell.

‘Everyone does that.’ A voice came from behind me.

I spun around without hitting the bell.

‘Everyone wants to hit the bell.’ He said, pointing at the silver instrument on the corner of the desk.

The skin on his biceps was taut and round and his triceps were deep hollows in hard skin. Dented to perfection. I could place two hands around his neck. Why, I could fold my fingers through his black brush cut and watch his dimpled smile forever. His smile lit up a large face with a three day beard. It was a friendly face with dark brown eyes and a prominent philtrum above his lip. His hands were firm and clean, with shiny white fingernails as though he had recently had them manicured. A patch of dark hair stuck out of his white vest.

I couldn’t speak. I tried, but my tongue caught my teeth.

‘How many are you?’ He asked, opening a register.

‘Err…just me. One night.’

‘Where are you from?’ He asked, taking my Identity book from my fingers.

My brain worked overtime. ‘Somewhere.’

‘Well, Mister Brian Vogel from somewhere, Room 27, facing the highway. It has a balcony.’ He handed me the key and I paid him for the night.

I mumbled a nervous, ‘thank you,’ with a weak smile. ‘Do you have room service? I’m hungry.’

He pointed into the passage. ‘See that hatch? You place your order there, and I’ll have it brought up to your room.’

I asked a final question. ‘Is there a hotspot where the internet signal is strong?’

‘You’ll have no problems with the internet. We’re fully equipped to make your stay pleasant. Enjoy the evening.’

I headed for the kiosk and ordered a cheeseburger and chips, with ketchup; food full of the wrong oils and hardly nutritious. I usually enjoyed a salad, starch or protein. The guy at the reception desk said he’d bring the food to me, knowing I didn’t have to wait; I headed in the direction of my apartment and followed the room numbers until I came to number 27.

I expected a rat and cockroach infested room with soiled sheets on the bed. But the room smelled of fresh paint. There were two carpets, one in the passage and one in the bedroom. The balcony was open plan and spanned the course of two rooms. The bed was king sized and the linen was shiny white. Stiff. No pictures on the walls. There was a chair and a writing desk in one corner and a shoulder high cabinet. I drew the khaki colored curtains across the long window then removed my black jacket and shirt, and stood on the balcony staring at everything and nothing.

I was making love, to Roland. I wanted nothing more than to be with him. I needed his strong arms around me in the mornings. That kind smile every time he came near. But that was in the beginning. And what about home? I missed home. In retrospect, what on earth was I thinking by leaving him like that? I knew the first place he would look would be my house. I had no desire to confront him there, but now, the desire was far too great. I needed to get back to Roland. I put on a shirt quickly, collected my belongings, and headed for the door. As I opened it, there stood the guy from reception, his hand ready to knock.

This time a name tag was pinned to his shirt: Kevin.

‘Your cheeseburger.’

I took it from his hands, ‘Thank you, Kevin.’

His lips curved into a delicate smile. ‘By the way, your ponytail is really cool. Well, I’ll go back to my desk. See you in the morning.’

He waved and disappeared around the corner. It was only then that I realized I had been staring at the bulge in his jeans. The thick, tight butt and thighs as he turned to go. The swagger in his walk. I closed the door and ate the dry burger. Nothing worse than a dry burger. The buns were like toast and there was really no other option but to complain. That way I could see Kevin again. I buzzed the reception area and told him the food was gritty like sandpaper in my mouth.

Within a few minutes he knocked on the door. I opened and allowed him in. ‘Sorry to have bothered you about this but the burger is very hard and dry.’

‘Please, don’t apologize. I’ll have it taken care of in no time. You can have this meal on the house. It’s only twenty five bucks off my salary.’

‘What? You mean you have to pay for it? That’s unfair.’ I said, stepping back into the doorway.

‘Yup. The owner deducts all careless mistakes.’ He said, grinning.

'No way I will allow that. Tell you what, here's a round up tip for you. You've been great. Without you, this place would be a dump.'

'That's kind of you. Thank you.'

I fidgeted in my wallet and brought out a couple of bucks. Maybe thirty, forty rands. More than enough to cover the cost of a better burger and a tip. Maybe I conned myself.

'You want to join me? I’ve got a bottle of tequila here and I …’

He shrugged, ‘...Sorry, my shift ends at twelve.’

‘Maybe another time then.’ He must have heard the disappointment in my voice.

He nodded his head, and turned to leave with the food. ‘I’ll bring the food up for you in a few minutes. Don’t worry, this time it’s going to be cooked to perfection.’

I closed the door. Poured myself a tot of tequila and threw it burning down my throat. The stars became brighter and the moon larger for a few moments. And that’s when it came to me. The challenge will be the field without Roland in it. The only way to get closure was to return home and tell him to stay the hell out of my life.

I … I brought your food. I hope it tastes better this time. I made it.’

‘Hi. Thank you. Well?’

Kevin frowned, perplexed. ‘Well, what?’

‘Are you going to come inside or stand there until dawn?’

‘Maybe after my shift. If you’re awake. I took the liberty of mixing the ketchup with a mustard sauce.’

'That's no problem. I love mustard.' I smiled at him, and he smiled back. Just a touch of delicate sensuality curved his lips. I took the food and he went away for the second time.

The central courtyard was well lit and I strolled through the shrubbery and sat on a bench beside a waterfall. It had been a few hours since I had walked out on Roland. I had left him in a state of panic. Panicky people do weird things. He had not followed me. Maybe I wanted him to come back begging. Maybe I needed the punishment all over again. I almost left this place. Maybe I should just walk out now. Maybe. Maybe. Maybe. They don’t work. I had to settle on a decision based on this question: Do I want to be with Roland?

I needed to move forward on my own, without ties.

The answer is no.

‘Hey! How was the burger?’

I knew that voice.

It wasn't Kevin.

It was Roland

 

strolling towards me with his hands in his pockets.

‘Delicious.’ I said, smacking my lips.

‘What you doing in the garden?’

I turned his way and smiled. ‘Thinking.’ I stared at the fountain, the glassy water falling over the edges into the pool below.

'You can't get rid of me so easily.I could never find the words to say everything is alright. I lost today.' He bowed his head as if in total humilation. 'Can we talk?'

He said in a low voice.

'How did you..?'

I gazed at him vacantly as he sat beside me on the bench.

'That's not important right now. I'm glad I found you.' He nodded and smiled.

‘Maybe I want to come back, but if that were to happen I would lose confidence in my decisions.’

‘Where’s back?’ he asked, honestly perplexed.

‘A place. A comfort zone. Warm and tranquil. But hey, I know that I must move on. You must move on, Row. No sense in drowning. ‘

‘It’s always safer above the water. You know that.’

‘I had enough of the humiliation. Being frowned upon. Always having to watch my mouth. Not knowing when your mood will change.’

‘I know what you mean. I'm prepared to get help, if you want me to.'

'So you know the feeling,’ I continued. ‘It’s like I’m empty inside. My whole body is numb. Today has been a turning point in my life. I realize now that it’s all about the choices I make in life. Two years ago I met you at a dinner party and we haven’t left each other’s side since. We’ve argued, and I’ve made compromises. You cannot compromise. It’s your way or no way. You threatened me worse than ever before today and I felt our security had been breached. I had been wrong about you. In my eyes, you have lost Ubuntu.’

We sat silently for a moment, listening to the song of the first summer thunder as it roared among the clouds .

‘It’s going to rain tonight.’ I could smell the rain coming in from afar. The wind had picked up.

He hesitated a few seconds before speaking. ‘Soon there’s going to be lightening and more thunder. I want to feel the drops on my skin.’ Roland sat on the bench, facing me.

‘Do you love me?’ '

'Not after what happened today. There's a song by Hurts that goes 'there's something in the water, I don't feel safe...stranded in midair...something below the surface.’

‘Forget about soppy songs. Do you want to be with me?’

‘Yes. No.’

His peach-blossom gaze held me for several moments and eventually I found it difficult to look into his eyes and exploded in a rollercoaster of feelings.

‘Can I cuddle you?’

‘Cuddle?’ I whispered in a coy voice. ‘Maybe.’

He took my hand and drew me into his chest and I didn't resist.

We were still kissing and cuddling when Kevin coughed from beyond the door, out of sight. He strolled towards us and handed me the burger.

He turned to Roland and asked, 'Is everything okay, cousin.'

My eyes flashed left to Roland, then right, to Kevin. 'Cousin?'

'Hey! Brian!' A voice, Kevin's voice in the air all around me.

'I thought I had seen you before, with Roland. We met at a party about two years ago, but very briefly. I phoned Roland and told him I'm sure it's you. And so it is.'

'You mean you guys are really cousins? I don't recall meeting you.'

'You'd had one tequila too many.' Kevin said, smiling broadly.

He knew I drank tequila? Preferably with a lemon and salt to absorb the taste.

'Brian!'

It was Kevin. Arousing me from a lucid daydream.

'Brian! Wake up!'

I was lying on the lawn in the garden.

''I'm off duty now.'

I checked the time in my hazy stupor. It was well after midnight.

'What took you so long?'

'An accident. On the next corner. A guy on a motorbike skidded across the road in the rain into oncoming traffic. He died on impact. The bike is a total rightoff. They came in to ask for medical supplies for the survivors in the car.'

'Bike? What make of bike?'

'A Yamaha V Star 950 Tourer. Black and chrome.'

Only a few people owned a 950 Tourer. One of them was Roland.

Reviews are welcome and reciprocated.
Copyright © 2011 LJH; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

oookay, i was smiling at 'Peach blossom gaze' and full-on grnning by the 'Cuddle'.

 

It was him coming to terms with his choice, ey? never easy this procrastination phase. especially with noone by the side. the fear of the unknown always (or mostly always ends up winning.) It's good to see that he did find someone. even if it means just this one cuddle and the kiss. Also the rain. Ever helpful nature, ey?

Link to comment

atmospheric. nice little flirtations - always fun. a kind of downbeat mood that is appropriate for the character's situation. sweet that he wants to cuddle. who doesn't? :)

Link to comment
On 09/16/2011 06:39 AM, Frostina said:
oookay, i was smiling at 'Peach blossom gaze' and full-on grnning by the 'Cuddle'.

 

It was him coming to terms with his choice, ey? never easy this procrastination phase. especially with noone by the side. the fear of the unknown always (or mostly always ends up winning.) It's good to see that he did find someone. even if it means just this one cuddle and the kiss. Also the rain. Ever helpful nature, ey?

Thank you for understanding. A sequel is always the most diffucult to write after an action chapter. This is what I was attempting to do, where the antagonist and the protagonist are one and the smae person. In other words, we are our own worst enemies. Glad you liked it and thanks for the read. Peach blossom gaze is the chinese version of gazing at a person longingly. Dictionary. I try to use it all the time. ;)
Link to comment
On 09/16/2011 06:55 AM, carringtonrj said:
atmospheric. nice little flirtations - always fun. a kind of downbeat mood that is appropriate for the character's situation. sweet that he wants to cuddle. who doesn't? :)
Thank you for the kind words. Glad you liked it. I enjoy playing with words and getting the best out of them. I want the reader to be entertained with the words the characters demand. :)
Link to comment

Good job, fast read and while not riveting, it was very interesting watching your main character processing his thoughts, feelings and emotions.

 

 

Link to comment
On 09/17/2011 03:58 AM, Daddydavek said:
Good job, fast read and while not riveting, it was very interesting watching your main character processing his thoughts, feelings and emotions.

 

Thank you. An honest opinion I like, for it tells me where I'm going wrong, as well as where it is I don't need to change, ie., pacing? The hardest part for me was watching him process his thoughts, it takes a lot of digging and soul searching even when writing fiction. Thanks for the read.
Link to comment

I was surprised to see a sequel, Brian killed Roland off so effectively with a hammer. You lulled me in with a steady rhythm. Then Roland shows up as Kevin's cousin and I am thinking ah... so he didn't really swing the hammer... good.

Then it's the old who killed JR just a dream. Then Roland killed in a motorcycle wreck. He has more lives than South Park's, Kenny. I can't wait to see where this is going. PLEASE writefasterpostsooner... more please. I don't like unhappy endings, but I am hooked. More please

Link to comment
On 09/18/2011 01:03 PM, Kiltie69 said:
Louis, loved it, your main character is someone I would love to meet for a chat. Looking forward to more
Thank you for your kind words. Hmmm, I wonder what you'd say. I might disguise myself as a fly on the wall and eavesdrop. Hehehe.
Link to comment

Interesting read, leaves me wondering where this could be going. I did not feel empathy with Roland. By him dying (apparently again), the emotional response would be from Brian would be important. How does Brian actually feel? He was trying to not regret moving on but, would that change with the suddenness of death? Side note: Kevin would know if it really was his cousin or not right?

Intriguing...

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..