Jump to content
    Lugh
  • Author
  • 1,262 Words
  • 1,274 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Card Tales - 1. Tale 1

Required Elements:

1. Swords
2. A whip
3. At least 2 horses
4. A cliff side
5. Someone getting wet
6. A chicken

Cardanniel trudged wearily along the path as the ancestors awoke in the heavens. His only companion brayed at his rough treatment in continuing after the life-giver had died the little death, but Cardanniel knew there were accommodations on the other side of this ravine, if they could just get to them. Ahead their last obstacle loomed, a narrow wooden bridge barely big enough for a single cart to pass without brushing the sides. Cardanniel paused and pulled up the cowl on his habit, the garment his mentor insisted he wear had eased his way along many parts of this long and difficult journey. No order would allow an elf in its ranks, and humans saw what they wanted to see. Those who looked a little too closely quickly saw the sharp edge of his sword, luckily there had not been too many of them. However he doubted those who were supposed to be watching the bridge would notice his passing tonight as they were not to be found, although there seemed to be an adequate number of horses in the small corral near the gatehouse. Cardanniel paused for a moment and sent out a soft tendril of magic to test the soundness of the bridge and found it whole so he began the journey across. Near the midpoint, he took in the awesome sight of the last rays of the life-giver on the cliff side and made the appropriate gestures, as would someone in the order he was supposed to belong. It was during this time he heard the distant cry for help. At first, he considered the cry to be far off and easily picked up due to his exceptional hearing, but then he heard it again and realized it was so faint because it was down. There were shouts from the far end of the ravine where the missing guards were attempting to rescue someone. Cardanniel sighed. He was not a member of the order. He was not; but they would think he was, and he would be expected to give what aid he was able. He tut-tuted to the donkey and continued forward praying to the twins that chance and fate would intervene and keep him out of it but it was not to be. By the time he arrived, the poor bastard was still down below and the fools on the cliff top were no closer to getting him up than they were when Cardanniel began his crossing.

"Father, oh how glad we are that you have come," one of the men spoke softly, "my companion fell and the guards have been unable to coax him to the rope they have lowered. Mayhap by your prayers he can be brought to safety?"

Cardanniel looked the man over then with a soft sigh he lead his donkey to the corral and unloaded him. If he were going to be robbed they wouldn't send one of their men into the ravine to rid themselves of a single priest. The man followed him over in anticipation of his aid. Cardanniel looked at him from under his cowl. "Begin a fire, he will be cold and in need of rest when he is returned to you." He did not wait to see if his directions were being followed, instead he headed over to the edge of the ravine where the rope was tied to one of the stout posts driven into the ground. "Does it reach all the way down?"

"Down yes, over no. He is near the middle of the ravine."

"Did either of you consider going down to fetch him? Perchance the man is injured."

"No, Father, the lad is… well it may be the gods way of…" the guard looked away.

"Fools," Cardanniel spat as he felt the weight of the rope in his hand it was the dangerous way down into the ravine. Instead, he removed his boots and eased over the side, feeling for toe holds. If the guards were to wonder how a simple man such as himself had the ability to scale seemingly sheer walls then they had enough sense to keep their mouths shut about it. After an agonizingly long time where his arms began to feel like jelly, he finally felt solid ground under his feet again. Cardanniel took a moment and rested then he headed over toward the cause of his delay of a warm meal and soft bed.

"I am sorry," the boy whispered, "I think it's broken," he indicated his leg which did indeed appear to be broken.

Cardanniel nodded and noticed the strongly Elvin features of the boy. Then he ran his hands over the leg. "This is going to be unpleasant," he warned as he straightened the break with no other warning sending some healing energy into the boy's body to aid is natural abilities along in their process.

The boy gasped, peed himself, and then began to cry. "I'm sorry, so sorry."

Cardanniel tut-tutted the boy like he had his donkey earlier and looked for something to bind the leg to while they climbed out of the ravine. Finding nothing else, he was forced to pull his sword from its sheath along his spine. The runic markings glowed softly under the light of the ancestors and the boy's eyes widened.

"That's an elven sword."

"Yes it is."

"Why do you have it?"

"It was given to me. Why don't you tell me how you ended up down here?"

"It's stupid really."

"We've nothing but time while we get you ready to get out."

"We were crossing that narrow bridge and the king's messengers always have the right away, but we were halfway across with our wagon. There were three of them on horseback thundering down and there was barely any room. I'm still not sure how they passed us, but they did. Except when they did, the wagon lurched and Fagan used the whip on the horses, only I wasn't sitting so securely and I toppled out, and down."

"You're lucky you didn't break your neck."

The boy looked up at him, "He knows I'm Elvin. I've never hid it. I was able to slow the fall, but the landing was a little tricky. The guards saw it. I think that's why they refused to come down here. Why did you?"

"It's my calling to aid those in need." Cardanniel said softly as he finished tying his father's sword to the boy's leg with strips of cloth cut from the boy's tunic. "Now let's get you to the rope and up and out of here. I only ask one thing of you. Do not let the guards know that the sword is mine. It belongs to you until I come to collect it."

The boy looked at him oddly for a moment, then nodded. "I am in your debt."

Cardanniel grinned then nearly carried the boy to the rope where he tied him to the bottom and yelled up for the guardsmen to pull the boy up. Then he began the slow process of climbing back up, one finger and toehold at a time. By the time he arrived, the boy was tucked into a bedroll in clean clothing with the man clucking over him like a mother hen and there was some type of fowl roasting over the flames. Cardanniel knew he would not be getting that bath or that soft bed he wanted tonight, but if chance smiled on him, he might get a hot meal that he did not have to cook himself.

Copyright © 2010 Lugh; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..