Jump to content
    Lugh
  • Author
  • 2,290 Words
  • 1,053 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Card Tales - 12. Tale 12

Required Elements:
1. A pouch with 1,000 gold pieces and 200 gems.
2. a carnival wagon selling eye makeup
3. Detangler
4. A Cave
5. A Prediction that is so insanely ridiculous that it had to be true.
6. A goblet
7. an arson
8. a flood
9. a crystal butterfly
10. a veiled maiden

There was a rustling in he shrubbery then a young man appeared holding between his hands the gossamer threads of an intact spider's web. At its center were two insects; one was the maker of the web and the other a butterfly trapped in it. Garnet stopped in front of Cardanniel and presented him with the web. His only covering was his hair that rolled along his body like fire in the fading sunlight. "Does this meet your challenge?" he asked, meeting Cardanniel's eyes with fury.

"I don't know, I believe I said the size could be no bigger than my hand," Cardanniel told him, matching his gaze.

"Then measure it," the dragon-man gritted out.

Cardanniel placed his hand up to the web and the wings of the semi-trapped butterfly brushed against his palm, they felt as if they were made of glass. He looked at his palm where they brushed and saw the blood. Garnet saw too, and Cardanniel saw Garnet lick his lips. "It is the right size, the challenge is accepted." Cardanniel turned his hand over to allow the blood to pool in his palm. "Now what will you do with the web?"

"What would you like for me to do with it?"

"Release the butterfly and thank the spider," Cardanniel told him, noticing he did not take his eyes off Cardanniel's blood filled palm as he did as he was told. Once it was done Cardanniel offered Garnet his palm and Garnet drank the blood from it as the others watched with interest.

"I don't believe it," Lugh finally whispered, "no one has ever gotten Garnet to obey them with out force."

Garnet looked up to Cardanniel with a bloody face and Cardanniel leaned over and kissed him, sharing his blood. When their mouths parted Garnet whispered, "I am not related to a god, Cardanniel; I am the god of the air. You have cried out to me and I have come to you."

Cardanniel looked at the being in front of him, "You have never come to me like this."

"I never have," Garnet replied almost gently, "but you have never asked."

"I didn't know," Cardanniel said a bit confused.

"If you did, would you have?" the old man asked.

"I don't know," Cardanniel replied honestly, "to imagine even for one moment that you are corporeal." He looked around for his Guide, "Where did it go?"

"Back where it belongs, it misses you," the old man said gently.

"Misses me?"

"You didn't recognize it?" Lugh asked gently.

Cardanniel shook his head dumbly.

"It was your soul," Glinda told him, "only a whole man could cross into our realm."

Cardanniel stared at her until Garnet lifted his face by the chin, "You are a whole man, Cardanniel, your soul still knows you, and you still know it although you didn't recognize it for what it was. You have been marked for other things by more than one of us, it all has been foretold, which is why you were brought here today. We were not sure you were the one until the ring responded to you." Garnet caressed Cardanniel's cheek;"it can not be possessed by a man without a conscious, nor a man who does not love. You are so full of love I can still taste it on my lips."

"What you taste is lust," the old man chuckled as he picked up the winnings, "now if you don't mind, the boy and I have unfinished business."

Cardanniel followed the old man away from the others for his personal challenge. "This is simple enough. That is a cave. You go in there and walk until you reach the end of this rope, then stop. You stay there until you feel me tug on the rope. It will be no more than half a cycle of the messenger, agreed?"

"Straight back, no turnings?"

"Oh there will be turnings, but the path you choose is your path, that is why the rope is there for you to find your way out again."

Cardanniel nodded. "A half cycle of messenger and no more, then I am free to go?"

"With the winnings and our blessings."

Cardanniel wrapped the rope around his belt and tied it in a secure knot, then stepped forward into the cave. Along the walls near the entrance were drawings showing symbols of the four elements coming together and choosing a champion -- earth, air, water, and fire -- the champion then descended into the bowels of the earth to drink from a goblet and face a veiled maiden, and there the story ended. Cardanniel pondered it as he faced his first split in the tunnel. Taking the left handed split he continued downward at a steep slope, if what he thought was true then he could be the champion chosen not by the elements but by the gods. He would know if there was a goblet for him to drink out of at the end of the path.

He was running out of rope when he came to a pool of water that seemed fit for drinking. There was no goblet, not even a dipper, but he was so thirsty he did not care. He plunged his face into the water and gulped it down. Feeling refreshed he stood again to continue on his journey, and too choose again which fork to take.

Spiraling left seemed to be working for him as he finally came to the end of his rope in a large cave. In the center was a black rock darker than the other rocks around it, many of which were illuminated with glowing lichen. He could just barely touch the dark rock and he felt it living beneath his touch. He did not pull back, nor did he press forward, but instead, stood there, with one hand caressing the stone. "I don't understand what is going on, but I think I do understand this part." He finally said to the darkness. "Life-giver is above with his wife, and you are locked partially down here in her bowels and partially up there opposite of him. You are his mistress yet you barely have time alone with him since she has locked you away." He stroked the rock and felt for the spells that bound the goddess with in. Once he determined what each one was, he set up his own detangler spell and turned it loose on the rock. Almost as soon as he was done, the rope tugged around his waist pulling him nearly off his feet. He hurried back up the passageways which seemed to be less steep, and much straighter, but Cardanniel refused to let it confuse him as he gathered the rope. Garnet met him just beyond the first turn, pressing him against the wall. "The old man told me to give you this," he pressed a pouch of gold and gems into his hand, "he said there is a thousand gold and more than two hundred gems of various weight. It should be more than enough to sustain you and Dartildon as you determine what the right thing to do is." Garnet pressed his mouth against Cardanniel's mouth and Cardanniel allowed the kiss. "I don't confuse love and lust, you love deeply. Speak with Dartildon, and if he agrees, call on me as you will for the things we both may want."

"I've never worshipped you like the others," Cardanniel finally managed to get out.

"That's one reason why I was so angry, jealous even. Your blood is sweet, Cardanniel," Garnet nuzzled him, "and the dragon is yours to call to begin with, in a way Dartildon and I have always been yours."

"Mine to call?"

"You didn't know?"

Cardanniel shook his head.

"Ah, so many things they have kept from you. I don't have time to explain it now because I have to get you out of here, but just know, the dragons are yours alone, and the Master of the Air lusts after you."

Then the rope was untied from his waist and Cardanniel found himself at the center of a whirlwind in which he could see Garnet's face.

A dizzying ride later and Cardanniel found himself dropped most unceremoniously outside a group of carnival wagons. His clothing was dirty from his trek inside the cave and he needed yet another bath. He could see the buildings of the temple and town from where he stood, but he knew he would need clean clothing for himself and Dart if they were going to continue their journey. The wagons were doing brisk business and Cardanniel found it easy to shop for himself and his young lover, and he had plenty of coin to spend. Eventually he found himself outside a wagon that sold make up of various sorts. He knew he should wear the kohl around his eyes like a proper temple priest or he should purchase the red and white mask and tunics if they were available, but his loyalties were torn. He settled on purchasing the kohl in the proper colors, but not putting any on. His robes were still packed away in a room in town he had to get back to. He did not have to be a priest for a while. He and Dart could just be lovers until they got back to the town. He sighed and fingered the ring that marked him in some way he could not understand. It still would not budge from his finger.

Happy with his purchases he headed toward the temple to find Dart, a bath, and a bed.

His young apprentice sat on the stair leading up to the temple although it was well after dark. When he saw Cardanniel he frowned at him. "Priestess Alanna said you never came."

"Priestess Alanna does not know of what she speaks. I went in and I went out just as quickly, it seems there was a messenger waiting for me in the foyer of someone who out ranked even her."

"Really?"

"Truly."

"Is that why you were gone all day?"

"Afraid so."

"Someone set fire to one of the grain fields. Priestess Alanna tried to blame it on you because no one knew of your whereabouts."

"Oh really?"

"Yes, but for some reason the water rose up and flooded the fields before too much damage could be done. She just stood there dumbfounded. I wish you could have seen it."

Cardanniel laughed. "I don't think that is necessary. I have a very good idea how she looked."

"Really?"

"Really. Do you think we could find the baths again? I really need to wash."

"You are a bit dirty," Dart teased.

"I got you clean clothes too."

"You did?"

"Do I lie to you?"

"Not that I know of," Dart said quietly, "do you lie to me?"

"Not if I can help it," Cardanniel smiled, "would you believe it if I told you the god of the air is a dragon and he wants to have sex with me?"

"I would think you are lying."

"But I don't lie to you," Cardanniel teased.

Dart scrunched up his face as they entered the baths, "So it's true?"

"What's true?"

"The gypsy lady said that today the gods chose their champion and the dark mistress is loose again. That it will be a bad time for everyone."

"I don't know if the dark mistress is loose again, and I think that 'bad time' is relative to your current situation, for some it might actually be a good time, else why would the gods need a champion?"

"Do you know who the champion is?"

"Why would I know something like that?" Cardanniel asked as he eased himself into the water.

"You just seem different," Dart said softly as he stroked his lover, "now why would the god of air want to have sex with you?" he asked as he kissed Cardanniel's brow.

"Because I do," Garnet said from the corner.

Dart looked up and Cardanniel smiled at the nude dragon-man.

"But I will not with out your permission, Dartildon, as Cardanniel belongs first to you."

"But…" Dart looked at Garnet then to Cardanniel, "It's obvious you both want to."

"Indeed," Garnet sat near the water, "as obvious as it is you are a young dragon lord in need of training -- to the right person looking."

"I am not a dragon lord," Dart contradicted Garnet who laughed.

"I can see why he holds such a special place to you," Garnet said softly to Cardanniel, then to Dart, "may I kiss him?"

"He is his own person and may kiss whomever he pleases."

Garnet grinned toothily at Dart then leaned in and kissed Cardanniel who rose out of the water to return the kiss. Garnet released Cardanniel and spoke to Dart, "he is yours Dartildon, and there is no disputing that. May I use his flesh to sate my lust?"

Dart could only nod.

"You must say the words Dartildon."

"Yes, fuck him."

Cardanniel groaned in pleasure as Garnet took him as Dart watched. When the act was complete, Garnet laid him back in the water, kissed him gently on the neck, and whispered against his skin "and that is what it is like to ride the wind." Then he faded from their sight.

Cardanniel sighed and Dart went to him, "Was he real?"

"Seems to me he was real," Cardanniel grinned, "I'm not so sure I can walk."

"Oh, you'll walk," Dart said with urgency, "Because as soon as possible you are going to do that to me."

Cardanniel chuckled and together they finished getting him washed, dressed, and headed to their assigned quarters for the night.

Copyright © 2010 Lugh; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..