Jump to content
    Lugh
  • Author
  • 1,914 Words
  • 4,732 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Card Tales - 6. Tale 6

Required elements:
1. a runaway
2. a mercenary
3. a hunting dog
4. three hankercheifs
5. the devil
6. a vampire
7. a wizard
8. rape
9. a journey

It was nearing dusk several nights later and Cardanniel had promised Dart a dinner they did not have to cook and rest on something softer than the hard ground. Dart had not believed him at first, but as life-giver settled nearer the horizon Cardanniel pointed out the barely visible edges of a building ahead. All that separated them from it was a few minutes ride and a crossroad. Truth be told, Cardanniel worried more about the crossroad than the ride.

As they approached the nexus, he slowed the horses to a walk and handed Dart some coins. "If anything strange happens ahead, keep going, even if I stop, get us a room and I'll be there shortly."

"What would happen?"

"Dart, remember what I said about my secrets?"

The boy nodded. "I've not shared any of them."

"I'm not ready to share this one. Let's just hope nothing happens," Cardanniel smiled and untied the animals he was leading handing the leads to Dart. "Just keep going."

Dart nodded and they entered the crossroads. As Cardanniel suspected, a small fog billowed up in the center and he paused to speak with the creature that would soon show itself. Dart rode right on through, taking the animals with him, if he even saw anything, Cardanniel was uncertain. The wizard appeared finally as Cardanniel slid off his mount.

"It's about time you arrived, I've been stuck here entirely too long," he griped.

"Then maybe I should leave you here," Cardanniel laughed.

"You wouldn't dare!"

"Maybe I would and maybe I wouldn't," Cardanniel shrugged, "I've been known to not always follow orders before."

"You? Go rogue? I'd never believe it. Now please unbind me."

"What did you do to be bound?"

The wizard sighed. "Is that really necessary?"

"If you want to leave these crossroads it is. They left you here to be judged. To judge you I must know your offense."

"But you are a priest, you're supposed to absolve me and let me go about my way."

Cardanniel grinned. "How many priests have crossed these roads?"

"Four hundred and two."

"And how many have absolved you and went about their way?"

"All of them."

"And yet you are still here," Cardanniel pointed out. "This time we do it my way."

"Fine, fine," the wizard whined. "Two of us were hired to track down a runaway, me and a mercenary along with his hunting dog."

"Him for the physical clues and you for the magical ones, I'm assuming."

The wizard nodded, "Well we found the 'lad' who turned out to be a 'lass' and before I could stop him, he set his hound on me and forced himself on her. Of course, I stopped the hound but it wasted precious time and the damage was already done." He hung his head. "The lass said only one of us forced her, but she couldn't tell which in the dark. The mercenary said he did it, then raged on about how I cast a spell on him to make him say it. I insisted upon my innocence. They bound me here until someone could read the truth of my words and set me free."

"Did you do anything to the mercenary?"

"Only plagued him with his personal devil; he will never forget what he did or any other crimes he committed."

Cardanniel nodded then drew his sword preparing to cast a circle around the wizard. "Do you know a ritual to determine which way you will travel?"

"I do."

"Do it now."

The wizard pulled out three handkerchiefs and tossed them in the air speaking some magical words. Each of the handkerchiefs dropped next to him leaving only one way open.

Cardanniel cast the circle and invoked the name of several gods and goddesses. When he finished, there was a crackling in the air and he seemed to be satisfied with the response. He broke the circle in the one direction indicated by journey spell. "Go that way and that way only. Do not return to these parts anytime soon. Have a safe journey."

"Is that all?"

Cardanniel thought for a moment, then he laughed, and pulled out the walking stick from his gear. "Here take this, it will guide you in your journey."

"How were you able to free me when the others could not?"

"Go find your mentor and ask him that question," Cardanniel said softly, then mounted his horse. "I have a meal waiting for me," he called back as he rode away certain the wizard would do as he was told. Being stuck at a crossroads for a couple hundred years tended to season the young ones a little.

When he arrived at the inn, Cardanniel discovered that Dart had secured berthing for both them and the animals. He found the boy in the common sipping a tankard. "Did you miss me?"

"I ordered our food."

"Dart, some things are… personal."

"I understand. Well I sort of understand. I mean you trust me with some things but not with others. It's like you only trust me sometimes."

"I trust you a lot more than sometimes," Cardanniel said gently. "You are the first person I've let in my wards in a long time."

Their food arrived and they spent the next while eating before Dart suddenly announced he was sleepy. "All right, I'll be up as soon as I finish eating."

Dart nodded and headed up the stairs. Cardanniel thought nothing of it when a young woman followed a few minutes later. He finished his food and sat and watched the fire for a little while, then he headed toward the stair. A young girl rushed over to him and put her hand on his arm, "Sir, your friend isn't finished with my sister. It would impolite to interrupt, I'm sure they will be finished shortly."

Cardanniel looked at her oddly, then raced up the stairs. He knew Dart would not be sleeping with a prostitute. The door was locked but gave way when he put his shoulder into it. Dart was laying on the bed sobbing and the remains of the girl lay on the floor in ashes.

"I screamed when she attacked me," he was holding his hand to his neck. "She said I shouldn't be screaming, but it hurt so badly."

Cardanniel went to him and held him. "Let me see." There were two puncture wounds that were already beginning to heal over. It seemed the attack on his soul forced Dart to defend himself. Not a wizard indeed, Cardanniel smiled and kissed his forehead. "It's healing, I think she only wanted to feed. Let me go down and ask for a different room."

"We are still going to sleep here?"

"Of course, Dart, the gods and goddesses made the vampires as well as they made the gnomes. Once they understand they can not harm me and that you are under my protection, they will not try."

"I do not understand."

"Then come downstairs and watch, there can't be but one or two other vampires here if there are any more at all. This country side isn't that well traveled." Cardanniel headed downstairs and headed over to the bar. "It seems our door is broken and there is a mess in our floor which needs to be cleaned up, your associate was not aware of the laws I'm afraid, so maybe I should educated any more of her kind if they are around." He pulled out his heart-dagger. "Are there?"

"Only one, the young female you spoke with earlier. She only feeds after her sister."

"Take me to her, and change out our rooms." He looked the man in the eye, "Harm him for what he did, and all will die in this house as I raze it to the ground."

The portly man nodded and headed up the stair himself to see the damage after leading Cardanniel and Dart to the young girl hiding in the root cellar.

"They changed you over," he said gently, "then just left you here to fend for yourselves, didn't they?"

"They said it was an accident," she said from the darkness.

"It's never an accident. You need to embrace the darkness within if you intend to survive."

"I don't want to. I'm hungry all the time. There is never enough with the two of us and papa will only let us feed from him if it's absolutely necessary."

"Your papa tends the bar?"

"Yes."

Cardanniel sighed. "Are you hungry?"

"Yes."

"Come feed."

"I could kill you or change you."

"No you can't," Cardanniel reassured her. "Aglaia protects me."

"Aglaia?"

"The dark maiden, I am hers."

Dart gasped from behind Cardanniel.

"I don't understand," the girl sounded truly confused. "It means I have no soul for you to steal, which is required to change me or to release to kill me. Although I wouldn't recommend draining me dry, you can sup nicely." He rolled back his sleeve and offered his wrist to her.

"Are you certain?"

"Quite," Cardanniel motioned for Dart to come over and sit with him as he let the child have a full meal. "You will be able to do this once you are trained as well."

"What do you mean?" he asked as the girl locked on to Cardanniel's wrist.

"What you did upstairs, it was a reflex reaction; Dart, you are a warlock."

"I was only scared."

"Which is why it was a reflex. You didn't mean to do it."

"I don't know if I want to be a warlock."

"I don't think you have a choice. When is your birthday?"

"Summer solstice. Why do you ask?"

"I just wanted to know. Your powers are emerging; they will keep emerging now. Soon you will have to make some very difficult decisions, and I just want to help you make the best ones for you before you are forced to make them." Cardanniel leaned his head against Dart and felt his heart beat in his chest. Soon the girl was full.

"Thank you."

"You are welcome. You don't have to drink only from humans you know. I'll talk to your papa… a small herd will keep you in a healthy supply of blood and you won't have to have human blood but once or twice a month.

"Truly?"

"Truly," Cardanniel struggled to his feet and Dart helped him. The young vampire led them out.

"He was magnificent papa, but he needs rest."

"She looks healthy again."

"She has a full belly," Cardanniel said, "Not just her sister's leftovers. We will talk in the morning on how to keep her this way."

"We can do this?"

"Easily."

"Thank you." The man showed them up to their new room, their gear had been moved, and Dart went through all of it to make sure it was all there while Cardanniel lay on the bed.

"Come to bed Dart, he wouldn't steal from me."

"Why not?"

"I serve Aglaia and his daughter does too. It's a strange thing but Aglaia takes care of her own."

"But I've heard you invoke other gods and goddesses when you pray."

"I have. I invoke them, but I belong to her. It's not uncommon for a servant of Aglaia to be a priest of another order."

"So are you really a priest?"

"Yes and no."

"What are you?"

"A very tired elf with a budding warlock on his hands, now come over here and get in bed."

Dart did.

Copyright © 2010 Lugh; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..