Jump to content
    Mac Rountree
  • Author
  • 3,008 Words
  • 666 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

And A Child is Born - 14. Big Mistake

 

Yonatan knew that he had made a big mistake.

He stepped onto the terrace and waved at Black, who came running over to ask if anything was the matter. Yonatan said one word:

“Nash.”

“Jesus, Mother of God, fucking holy hell.”

“Nicely said by a good Catholic boy.”

Black glared at Yonatan.

“Where is he, where is he supposed to be, and have you heard from him?”

“He is staying at Erick’s apartment. I have not heard from him and don’t know where he is. He is supposed to be here because Todd is flying in.”

Black sprinted across the lawn. The eyes of the Commander bored into Yonatan’s as Black explained. It seemed like the Commander only took two steps before he was standing in front of Yonatan.

“I need the address of the apartment and a description of his car. Also, do you have a picture of this gentleman?”

Matan had come onto the terrace to find out what was happening and immediately gave the information. Yonatan was so thankful for Matan’s memory. Yonatan just knew Nash drove a silver car that was either a Honda or Toyota or Hyundai, or something like that. He went into the house to ask Jan for a picture of Nash. As soon as he did, her eyes filled with tears.

“Is he okay? Yonatan, what is going on?”

“He is supposed to return tonight, but we haven’t heard from him. He is probably okay, but I just want to make sure.”

She pulled out a picture that was taken of the two of them at a party. They were dressed in formal wear and looked splendid. Yonatan took it and ran down the stairs and then outside, where he handed the picture to the Commander.

“Okay, we are on it. Thank you, gentleman. Let me go to work.”

Yonatan went in and started pacing. He knew things were happening, but he didn’t know what. Yonatan was afraid all of their friends were in danger because of them. How would he ever forgive himself if something happened to them? He had what he thought was a brilliant idea. He called Erick’s apartment and heard a busy signal which meant Nash was on the telephone; unless it was off the hook. He went outside and told Black. He relayed the news to the Commander, who did not seem happy.

“I’m calling in Camp Peary.”

Hearing that made Yonatan uneasy because he knew what that meant. Camp Peary was reputed to be a CIA facility upriver from Langley Air Force Base in Yorktown. It was only fifteen minutes from Williamsburg. You couldn’t even drive near it without being stopped by military police. Those guys were serious. To call in the CIA involved a whole new layer of being concerned. It was one thing for the military to provide a mock military drill to protect them, but to bring in the CIA meant that foreign agents were at work. That made sense after what happened in Vienna, but it was still unsettling.

Yonatan had a new disheartening thought and went back outside. Black saw Yonatan and the look on his face.

“Spill it, Yonatan. What are you thinking?”

“My mother.”

Black glared at me.

“I know. I know, fuck, I know. Would someone try to get to me through her?”

“They already have, Yonatan. We know what your skinny behind is worth.” Black smirked and then got a serious look on his face. “I am on this. Good thinking on your part. We will protect her.”

Yonatan thought about throwing her to the wolves the same as she had done to him but knew he couldn’t forgive himself if something terrible happened to her.

Yonatan went back into the parlor and paced some more. Wasn’t it time for Todd, Eron, and Tayloe to be back from the airport? He couldn’t remember what time the flight was due. Matan was hanging onto his shoulder, asking what else was happening when they heard a vehicle coming down the drive. Yonatan figured it was a military vehicle. By the time they got to the front door, three guys were bounding into the foyer. Eron was sober, Tayloe was slightly glassy-eyed from alcohol, and Todd appeared to be drunk.

“Where is my husband? I miss my husband. I need a good fuck. Where is he?”

The three of them looked at Matan and Yonatan. Todd was the first to speak.

“Yonatan, where is Erick?”

“Erick is safe.”

“What do you mean, “Erick is safe?” Why wouldn’t he be safe? Where is my husband?”

“He is in Charlottesville, waiting for a military escort to come here.”

“What the fuck is going on, Yonatan?”

Yonatan started to explain as he watched Eron crumple into a ball on the floor. Tayloe immediately dropped to his knees and was comforting his partner. Todd had a calculated look on his face.

“Tell me everything. Can I get a cup of coffee? I need to be sober.”

James appeared with a tray filled with coffee cups and an urn of coffee.

“Start at the beginning, Yonatan. Don’t leave out any details.”

Yonatan told the three what he knew. Yonatan finished by saying that Erick knew what to do, which was to drive to a police station. Whoever was following him did not go into the station, and the police were protecting Erick until military personnel arrived to escort him to the farm. Yonatan then told them that he didn’t know where Nash was.

“Erick will be devastated if anything happens to Nash. He is Erick’s number one fan.”

“The CIA is on the way to the apartment.”

“The CIA? What the fuck, Yonatan?” Todd raised his voice and was glaring at him.

“Todd, I don’t make the rules. The military Commander made the decision.”

“My poor neighbors. They won’t know what hit them when the CIA overtakes the complex. I hope Nash is okay. By the way, who gave permission to set up a military base on my lawn?”

“I don’t know, Todd. I think Black and Green.”

“Well, they should have asked me. This is my house now. My house! Do you understand? And my husband is missing.” Todd’s voice was raising in timbre. “Our friend is missing. I come home to a cluster fuck when this was supposed to be time to spend with my husband before going back to school, and yet I find this huge mess, Yonatan. Do you enjoy living in this huge mess? Why is there always a fucking huge mess with you?”

Yonatan turned and walked out of the room. Yonatan heard Matan start to speak, and then Todd raised his voice and started yelling. Yonatan was turning to go back into the room when Matan lowered his voice and spoke with a lacerating intensity no one had ever heard. Yonatan stood and listened, and as he was walking back to the parlor, he heard, “And don’t worry about us, Todd, we will be out of here tonight. Yonatan and I will find someplace else to stay. You won’t be bothered by us again.”

Matan stormed out and ran into Yonatan. He grabbed his partner’s hand and pulled him upstairs. When he got into the bedroom, he started crying and couldn’t stop. Yonatan held him while all of the pent-up hurt, frustration and fear seeped away. Yonatan admired the hell out of his partner at that moment for standing up for them.

Matan finally looked at Yonatan and asked if they could please leave.

Yonatan walked downstairs and then out the front door onto the lawn. He found Green and said they needed to leave for Europe that night. Yonatan said to do whatever was needed to make it happen. When Green started to question and push back, Yonatan said to make it happen with no questions asked. Green nodded his head and said he would let Yonatan know when they were leaving. Yonatan told him that he would ask Jan to prepare for the trip.

Yonatan went back inside, walked into the parlor, and quietly said that Matan, the children, and he would be leaving that night. He said he would let them know as soon as Green was able to make the arrangements. Nobody said a word. Yonatan turned and saw Black standing in the foyer, glaring at him. Yonatan glared back and said he should communicate with Green about his ability to travel with them. Yonatan had never seen that look of hurt on his face before. He stormed past him and went upstairs.

Yonatan went to Jan’s room, knocked on her door, and told her about leaving that night. She said they needed to wait for Nash. Yonatan informed her that they were leaving as soon as arrangements could be made and to have the children ready. Yonatan also said that she needed to let him know whether she was traveling with them. Again, the look of hurt was evident at Yonatan’s sizzling retort. He had narrowed his field of concern to Matan and the children. The rest of them be damned.

Yonatan went into the bedroom to tell Matan that Green was making arrangements and that they needed to pack for their trip. Matan nodded his head and said they didn’t have much to pack. They put clothes in the cases and stayed in the room waiting to hear from Green. Yonatan looked out the window when he heard a vehicle approach the house and saw Erick get out, and then he was swamped by Todd, Eron, and Tayloe. They looked up at the window and saw Yonatan, so he backed away.

A short while later, Green knocked on the door. He came in and quietly told them that arrangements had been made for a small private jet to take them to Brussels. It only had a capacity for eight people.

“That is fine. Matan, the children, me, and four security staff.”

“What about Jan?”

“I don’t think she is going.”

“What about Nash?”

“What about Nash?”

“Yonatan, are you sure about this?”

“Yes, Green. Thank you for arranging this. I can always count on you. What time do we leave?”

“We need to leave here in fifteen minutes. We will meet the plane at a private executive airport in Fredericksburg.”

“Thank you. Bring the cars around, and I will get the kids ready to depart.”

When Yonatan went to get the children, Jan said she was packed. He informed her that they could not get a large enough plane to take everyone because of the sudden departure and that she would have to come over later. If she wanted.”

Again, his words stung.

As Matan and Yonatan were taking their bags downstairs, James and Stephen appeared and had a box of prepared food for them. They had fixed meals, not knowing what might be available on such short notice. Yonatan told James that he wanted his contact information so they could stay in touch. He smiled and handed Yonatan a card. He had already printed the information for them.

Gino was in the foyer, and Yonatan thanked him for bringing the exams. Gino said that Matan had one more exam to take, and Yonatan said that Matan would be in touch with the college to ask for an incomplete in the course because of extenuating circumstances. Gino wished them well and said he would see them the following semester. Yonatan told him again how much he appreciated his care and concern and that time would tell when they would be together again. Gino was startled by Yonatan’s denouement.

Erick, Tayloe, and Eron were in the foyer to wish them a safe trip. Todd was not to be seen. Yonatan thanked them for their hospitality and apologized that their lives had caused such problems. Yonatan then said that he could assure them that he would prevent that from ever happening again. Again, his words cut to the bone.

It was inky dark as the cars pulled out of the driveway onto the local road. They had a military escort in front and back as they headed west to Fredericksburg. When they arrived at the airfield, the jet was waiting for them. They grabbed the bags, stored them in the hold, and then climbed the stairs and sat in the seats. The food box was perfect, as they were all starving. Pink and Yellow were great with the children and fed them before settling in for the long flight. Black kept looking at Yonatan but did not speak.

The stewardess on the plane brought everyone blankets and pillows. The seats Matan and Yonatan were sitting on lowered into a bed. They stripped to their skivvies and wrapped themselves around each other before pulling the blankets up. When they awoke, they were about 90 minutes from the airport in Belgium. They washed as best they could, fed the children, and organized themselves for the trip into the city. Green had ordered a car to take them to the apartment. Yonatan realized he did not have keys to the apartment, but Green grinned and said he and Black always had keys available. Black still wasn’t talking to Yonatan and would curtly nod his head when asked to handle something. Yonatan had not only pissed off all of their friends but also their security staff.

They arrived at the apartment, and Green handed a schedule to Pink, Yellow, and Black. Green said he would meet with Matan and Yonatan to find out their schedule for the time they were in the apartment and then would adjust everything accordingly. Everyone was giving Yonatan lots of space. Yonatan was exhausted and just wanted to go to bed.

Matan fed the children and said he wanted to take them to the museum for the afternoon. Green arranged a car. Yonatan was alone in the apartment except for Black. Yonatan stayed in one end while Black stayed in the other. Late that afternoon, Yonatan heard the front door of the apartment open, followed by the laughter of Ossie and Juju. Yonatan found them in the salon with toys.

Matan was laughing and said they had a wonderful time in the museum. The security guards had recognized him and welcomed him back. Matan sat in a gallery, took the children out of their stroller, and showed them the paintings. Most people did not recognize Matan, so he had a carefree day. He then wandered into other galleries. Mme. Peeters came out and said how nice it was to see him. She asked if there was any particular reason why he was there and whether he needed anything. He said that they had arrived early, and he wanted to give Yonatan time to rest because it had been a trying couple of weeks. He also said that they didn’t get to spend as much time with the children as they liked, and now was the time to start teaching the children about art. Mme. Peeters laughed and said it was never too early to teach children about music and art. Matan sat in the galleries, looked at a painting, and then engaged people in conversation about particular pieces. He was in heaven as he got to share his knowledge but also to hear from ordinary people what they thought.

Both men were refreshed in their own ways when Matan returned to the apartment. The gifts of silence and solitude had fed Yonatan, and Matan had been fed by art. Matan had arranged for dinner to be delivered by the hotel, and they also sent food for the babies. The babies were thrilled with the taste of the food that Europeans fed their babies instead of the Gerber’s they got in Williamsburg. Matan had put on music by Brahms for them to enjoy. It was soothing. Yonatan heard the telephone ring, and Black answered. He finished by saying he would let Yonatan and Matan know.

“Excuse me, Yonatan and Matan, I have just had a telephone call from Robert Reynolds. He wanted you to know that Nash was found alive and will be okay. He is in the hospital in Richmond and is expected to have a full recovery. Also, he said that Todd was in the hospital, and they weren’t sure exactly what was wrong, but he had regained consciousness.”

Yonatan didn’t ask questions because he had a feeling that Black was telling them exactly what had been reported to him.

“Thank you, Black. Can you find out if Nash has insurance to cover all of the costs, and if not, we will cover them. Send both Nash and Todd large bouquets of flowers from us. Also, we will pay for Jan’s accommodations in Richmond while Nash is in the hospital. I trust that someone has already contacted Griffith, but can you double-check?”

“Yes, sir. I will convey your instructions to Ayal and have him follow up on your requests.”

At that point, Black walked out of the room. It was obvious he was still very angry with Yonatan.

WTF? ICU? Both Nash and Todd. Matan and Yonatan looked at each other, not knowing what to say. Black would contact Ayal? After Ayal had become an employee, he had done an excellent job explaining boundary issues that needed to be observed. When Yonatan would cross a boundary, Ayal had a gentle way of steering them back to an employer/employee relationship. He did this with such ease, Yonatan would only realize it later and chuckle at Ayal’s lawyerly skills.

Yonatan called Gino, as a friend, to follow up as it seemed that he was the only friend left in Virginia. Gino had witnessed what had happened at Cameron Farm and was hesitant to get in the middle of a disagreement between the men. He said that he would have Jan call with an update. Gino was clear that he was their professor. Fuck, Yonatan felt he needed some friends. Real friends. It seemed that he didn’t have any.

Copyright © 2020 Mac Rountree; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 3
  • Wow 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Innocence and naivete seem to have created a cluster of a drama!  Black is offended because he was not first to be contacted about the arrangements.  Let's see how this plays out!  Great chapter!!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Yonatan knew that he had made a big mistake. 

Ummm...actually more than one it would seem.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

'Fuck, Yonatan felt he needed some friends. Real friends. It seemed that he didn’t have any'. Really? Well if he ever stops being an asshat he'll discover he had friends and may still if he works to correct his problems.

It's said that money changes everything, and that may be true. But imperious attitude also changes things, seldom for the better.

Mac, you've had a rough time of late. I hope your friend recovered from his heart attack and you from your bout with Covid. But the hospital should have tested him for Covid when he was admitted, let alone discharging him without knowing his status. Hope you got your Pfizer vaccine shot. Take care and keep wearing a mask. 

 

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 5/9/2021 at 7:50 PM, pvtguy said:

Innocence and naivete seem to have created a cluster of a drama!  Black is offended because he was not first to be contacted about the arrangements.  Let's see how this plays out!  Great chapter!!

Remember that Yonatan and Matan are boys.  Really they are.  They don't have enough life experience to finesse situations.  Pure gut instinct to survive.

Mac

Link to comment
On 5/10/2021 at 2:41 AM, Anton_Cloche said:

'Fuck, Yonatan felt he needed some friends. Real friends. It seemed that he didn’t have any'. Really? Well if he ever stops being an asshat he'll discover he had friends and may still if he works to correct his problems.

It's said that money changes everything, and that may be true. But imperious attitude also changes things, seldom for the better.

Mac, you've had a rough time of late. I hope your friend recovered from his heart attack and you from your bout with Covid. But the hospital should have tested him for Covid when he was admitted, let alone discharging him without knowing his status. Hope you got your Pfizer vaccine shot. Take care and keep wearing a mask. 

 

Yonatan is his own worst enemy....sometimes.   He needs a mentor that will help him grow into manhood.  Who is that mentor that can be trusted?  He had a great mentor in Mr. Fish at Boy Scout Camp though he turned out to be a something of a twit.  But underneath that was a great sense of compassion and caring for Yonatan and was helping him grow.

Anton,  it has been a tough winter and spring but things are getting better.  The hospital screwed up on several levels.  The doctors discovered a mass in Joe's chest - this week they did a bronchoscopy and determined it was a pocket of infection deep in his lung.  He is on antibiotics and that should resolve.  Joe has recovered from his heart attack and is feeling better than he has in years.

I have recovered from my bout of Covid with no long term effects.  I had both Moderna shots.  Hopefully, I won't need a booster.

So, my life is returning to normal as I try to spend time writing.

Mac

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..