Jump to content
    markycielo
  • Author
  • 1,364 Words
  • 948 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Under the Acacia - 1. Gal Pals

The greatest sin you could ever commit against a friend is to fall in love with them. Sadly, I learned this the hard way. Hi. I’m Mark, I’m a sixteen year-old college student. I have black hair, brown eyes, and this pasty complexion. God blessed me enough, though. The only problems I had with my look were my freckles, but that really isn’t an issue, is it? I’m not super good-looking, but I’m not ugly too, at least that what they used to say. But then it’s different in college. People tend to be more judgmental as to looks.

That and the fact that I was alone made me depressed all the time. You see, when you’re fifteen and were shipped off to school on a whole other island; you’d tend to get homesick. The only cure, as my mother and father put it blatantly, is to meet new people and make new friends. Easier said than done, right? Precisely why in the 3 months of boarding school I’ve had so far, I only made one friend. Her name was Jo, short for Johanna – but she hates that name. And no, she wasn’t the one I fell in love with, though I would have if I weren’t gayer that a rainbow.

Jo was beautiful. I mean be.a.u.ti.ful. She had super straight hair that fell just below her shoulders, dark brown eyes, and this complexion I’ve never seen on anyone before. It’s this light, almost caramel, brown that just glows in the sunlight. Oh God. She had the most perfect skin. She hardly wore any make – just powder here and some lip-gloss there. It didn’t hurt that she had one of the highest GPA’s in the school too. Also, this wonder woman of a girl, I later found out, had been to China, Las Vegas and some place in Europe to represent our country in Math competitions. She is that perfect.

This is mainly why I wasn’t really at ease with her being friendly with me. We met at Gym class. I didn’t know anyone, so when the coach asked us to go in pairs for this weird exercise routine, my nerves went crazy. No one ever wants to be pity picked. It’s too embarrassing, especially for a very image conscious boy such as myself. But then this amazingly perfect creature walked up to me and asked me if I could be her partner. I mean, I know I’m cute and all, but I’m betting I’m just a 7 and this girl, she’s a solid 10. Why’d she pick me? We’ve never ever met before. And when I looked around, I saw plenty of cute guys that would match her better. In fact, her picking me made some of our guy classmates obviously pissed. Seriously, they were shooting daggers with their eyes my way. Anyway, when she asked me if she could be my partner, I obviously acted like some dork and just clammed up. She was like, “Hello?” and with that I finally unfroze.

“Umm… I’m n-n-not sure.”

“You’re funny.” She giggled. A little blush pierced through her bronzen cheeks.

“Okay. It’s settled. You’ll be my gym partner.” And with that she pulled me to one corner and we started the exercise. I was hardly given the chance to resist.

After our gym class, which was exhausting, mind you, we went to this tiny stall where they sold Siomai and Iced Tea. It was funny how we both had already separately planned to go there after the class even before we even met. She too was as much of a Siomai addict as I was. This was crazy! She liked all the movies I loved. She also read this really cool blog by a guy named Comicality, and she also hated yogurt! She was so much fun to talk to, that is, after I completely got over my nerves. But just a few hours into the conversation, it happened. She explained why she asked me to team up with her. I nodded politely, still keeping that grin I had before we began this line of conversation. She said it was because none of the other girls seemed to like her. Jealous bitches. And she found the other boys in the class quite threatening. I found what she said a bit rude. What did she mean? Was I not manly enough? I was a bit insulted and she quickly picked up on my mood change.

“No. It’s not that you’re not threatening. You are!”

“Huh?”

“I mean. You look tough enough but you know…” She leaned in closer to me and looked me oint blank in the face. “ I know.”

What did she just say? She knew?

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.” My heart was racing. Could she have possibly known? This was the first time someone could have known.

“Oh my God. I am so sorry!”

“What are you being sorry for?” I felt all my blood escape my face. If she picked me because she knew I was gay, that means I’m that obvious? Was I being swishy? Oh God! Does anyone else think I’m gay? How long have I been so obvious?

“You see, my brother. He’s gay you know. So I kinda can tell.” She said it. GAY.

“What?!” I almost screamed at her! My eyes flared an accusatory yet vaguely guilty look.

She paused for a bit as her eyes widened up and her face turned pale too, almost as pale as mine was by then.

“Oh my God. Please don’t hate me. You’re straight aren’t you?” She said almost tearing up.

“This is classic Jo. I meet a perfectly good guy, cute too! And I scare him away with my loud mouth!”

I was still speechless.

“Look Mark, I’m sorry okay. I’m actually wrong most of the time. Well, actually no. But there’s always a first.”

“Okay. I promise I won’t ever bring this thing up ever again. Just please don’t hate me. Please.”

A zillion thoughts rushed through me then and there. I had conjured up in an instant a foray of possible scenarios I could use to just get the hell out of there. But something overcame me. It was far stronger than fear itself. It was an alien feeling – something I’ve only felt a few times in the past. It was Courage.

Courage.

And I did it. “Don’t be sorry...” I paused to catch my breat.h “I am.” . I swear when I said that, Katy Perry’s Firework came on. And no not the intro, but the very chorus!

“Say what?” She looked like she was taken by surprise. But I could tell she felt a rush of relief, though she still had inklings of disbelief.

“You know.”

And our eyes locked. My lower lip was quivering like crazy. No one knew. No one even suspected as far as I know. But this girl… She picked up on it in just a few minutes – without even talking to me. So how else could I have played this but to just come out with it. The truth.

“ I am gay.”

And just like that she suddenly lit up.

“Aww Marky! Can I call you Marky?” She didn’t let me answer that. I later wished I did.

“I promise I won’t tell and… OMG! I finally have a gay friend!” Sigh. I wasn’t expecting that reaction. But at least it wasn’t rejection… and hate. This, I thought, I could totally handle.

And just like that, Jo and I became best friends. Gal-Pals, if you would permit the political incorrectness. We would eat lunch together every single day, even on Sundays. She would sneak in to our all male dormitory and creep into my blanket and cuddle. We would have been like a real couple, and many did suspect. But alas, I was a friend of Dorothy’s and she knew this. Oh wow. How awesome it felt then to finally just be released from lying even if it’s just to one person.

With my coming out to Jo, a whole world of possibilities slowly unfolded.

span style="font-family:Georgia,serif;">Johanna or Jo, in real life is a sassy lady with so much brains and beauty that at first encounter you'll instantly be intimidated. Surely enough, all your doubts about her will soon fade after much getting-to-knows this woman definitely has one of the kindest, biggest hearts I've ever known.
Copyright © 2012 markycielo; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Your easy writing style, like walking through a busy mall, effortlessly, was the hook for me. You make writing seem so simple. I thotoughly ejnoyed the coming out scene. I think Mark was more in shock than the reader or Jo. Obviously the fact that her brother is gay, soes make it simpler to detect, so her gaydar was on full aspect. I look forward to reading more, and hope that Mark meets her brother, or someone just perfect for him. Cool piece. I love your descriptions. They aren't slab-stoned, and a lot of passion has gone into describing the characters Mark and Jo, that was the first thing I looked out for because it's so imprtant to get the image of the character as soon as possible. Yeah, really lekker stuff, bro. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Link to comment

Great story Marky! :) Loved the plug for Comicality! Too funny! lol

 

I love Jo; she is just too cool. I'm glad Mark found a friend so far away from home.

 

I look forward to the next chapter. :)

Link to comment

I had to google siomai.

 

Philippine siomai

Siomai (Cebuano/Tagalog: siyomay) in the Philippines is often ground pork, beef, shrimp, among others, combined with extenders like green peas, carrots and the like which is then wrapped in wonton wrappers. It is either steamed or fried resulting in a crispy exterior. It is normally dipped in soy sauce and squeezed calamondin, and for some, with an oily, spicy garlic mix.

So, now I am hungry for more of your story and some siomai.

Link to comment
On 05/10/2012 03:44 AM, Lisa said:
Great story Marky! :) Loved the plug for Comicality! Too funny! lol

 

I love Jo; she is just too cool. I'm glad Mark found a friend so far away from home.

 

I look forward to the next chapter. :)

thank you... :) I love just Love Comsie.. :)
Link to comment
On 05/10/2012 02:11 AM, LJH said:
Your easy writing style, like walking through a busy mall, effortlessly, was the hook for me. You make writing seem so simple. I thotoughly ejnoyed the coming out scene. I think Mark was more in shock than the reader or Jo. Obviously the fact that her brother is gay, soes make it simpler to detect, so her gaydar was on full aspect. I look forward to reading more, and hope that Mark meets her brother, or someone just perfect for him. Cool piece. I love your descriptions. They aren't slab-stoned, and a lot of passion has gone into describing the characters Mark and Jo, that was the first thing I looked out for because it's so imprtant to get the image of the character as soon as possible. Yeah, really lekker stuff, bro. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif
Louis... you're just being sweet... thank you so much...
Link to comment
On 05/10/2012 07:24 AM, Foster said:
I had to google siomai.

 

Philippine siomai

Siomai (Cebuano/Tagalog: siyomay) in the Philippines is often ground pork, beef, shrimp, among others, combined with extenders like green peas, carrots and the like which is then wrapped in wonton wrappers. It is either steamed or fried resulting in a crispy exterior. It is normally dipped in soy sauce and squeezed calamondin, and for some, with an oily, spicy garlic mix.

So, now I am hungry for more of your story and some siomai.

Hey Babe!!!!!!! awwwww.... thanks! i promise to cook you siomai if ever we meet in person... :)
Link to comment

I love the wonderful playfulness of your writing style. Happy, airy and cheerful, there's a freshness about the flow and friendliness of Jo. You warm to both of the central characters instantly.

Stunning writing style Marky :)

I also had to google siomai. Sounds delicious!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..