Jump to content
    mcarss
  • Author
  • 2,316 Words
  • 388 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Deeds of Their Past - 19. Chapter Nineteen

They managed to get some sleep, only to be interrupted by Nyle bursting through the door. Brohm’s instinct had him on his feet, sword drawn and ready to swing before Nyle could blink. Hands up in the air, he stood there like a fool until Brohm sheathed his blade.

“Sorry. You surprised me,” he stated simply.

Nyle stood motionless for a moment before managing to recover from his fright. “Where’d you find this guy?”

Nathan smiled and patted Brohm on the shoulder. “That’s a long story, but I wouldn’t have anyone else by my side in all this mess.”

Brohm, his face mildly flushed, scratched the back of his head.

“So, were you able to get some supplies?” Nathan asked.

“It’s done,” Nyle said. “There should be enough for a fortnight. More if you ration it wisely.”

Nathan clasped arms with him. “Thanks. You’ve done us a great service.”

“Come, I was about to have a midnight snack. Join me.”

“A kind offer, Nyle. But we really should be go—”

Brohm’s stomach growled like a cornered dog, and both men stared bewildered at the big man.

“Urhm, sorry,” Brohm managed, rubbing his belly absentmindedly.

“Maybe we will stay for a bite,” Nathan said, unsuccessfully stifling a laugh.

Nyle led them to the kitchen and motioned to sit at the table. He quickly prepared a platter of fruit, cheese and bread, and Nathan found his own stomach growling while he watched him work.

“Pull some glasses from the shelf. You should find a bottle of wine there too.”

Nathan poured them all a glass of wine just as Nyle brought the platter to the table. Brohm took his glass, offering a toast.

“To good food and drink, and good friends,” he said, offering Nathan a subtle smile.

“Cheers!”

As soon as the three men clinked their glasses, Brohm drained his and helped himself to the bounty at the table. Nathan joined him, but with a polite restraint.

“It’s been a long time, Nathan,” Nyle mused. “I’m still hurt you decided not to work for me.”

“I made my intentions clear.”

“Yes, I remember it well. You were rather rude.”

“You wouldn’t take no for an answer.”

“Can you blame me for trying?” the man asked with a sly grin.

Nathan felt his face flush, and glanced over to Brohm, who’s attention was completely taken by the act of eating. More precisely, the act of shovelling as much food into his mouth as he could.

“Wait a minute,” Nyle said. “Don’t tell me that you and him—”

Nathan cut his words short with an icy stare.

“Okay, okay,” Nyle said. “But, really? You could do much better than—”

Nathan stood, inducing a loud squeak of wood against wood as he pushed the chair away. Brohm finally looked up from his meal.

“I think we’ve overstayed our welcome,” Nathan said. “We should be going.”

“But we just started eating,” the big man complained.

“Please, continue your meal, Brohm. Let me speak with him privately a moment,” Nyle said, beckoning Nathan to join him.

Nathan stood his ground for a moment, but then with a loud sigh and rolling of the eyes, reluctantly stepped into the darkened hall where Nyle waited for him.

“I’m sorry, Nathan. I didn’t mean anything by that.”

“Yes, you did. You said exactly what you meant to say.”

“Okay. I said I was sorry,” Nyle said, clasping his shoulder. “I’m just . . . jealous, okay?”

Nathan allowed himself a calming breath. “That’s why I could never work for you. I told you before. Business and pleasure—”

“They don’t mix for you. I know,” Nyle said, nodding.

“Plus, I tried to say it as nicely as I could, but you just aren’t my type.”

“Yeah, yeah, I remember,” Nyle said, not wanting to hear it again. “It’s just when I saw you in the doorway, all those old feelings came back.”

“I’m sorry. Coming here was a mistake.”

“No, no, no. I’m glad you came. Even if just for a few moments, to see your face again . . .”

Nathan gently pushed him away. “Don’t do this to yourself.”

The man nodded, and gestured to step back into the kitchen.

Brohm looked up as Nathan entered. “Everything okay?”

“Yeah, everything’s fine. Don’t worry about it,” he said, joining him at the table.

“After your meal, you should rest for a few hours before journeying out,” Nyle said.

Brohm caught Nathan’s eye, covertly giving his crooked smile, reminding him of his desire for a warm bed.

“Honestly, it’s no trouble,” Nyle continued. “I always have rooms for my hires when they need a place to lie low.”

“I suppose a few hours can’t hurt,” Nathan said.

“Great! I’ll make sure a room is prepared while you two finish up.” Nyle clasped his hands together and rushed out of the kitchen.

Once they were finished, Nyle led them to a long room. It was spartan with six beds neatly placed parallel to each other.

“Kinda reminds me of my old barracks, only cleaner,” Brohm said.

“A barracks? What, you were in the army?” Nyle scoffed.

“I was.”

“Oh,” Nyle said, offering Nathan an astonished look.

“We’ll be leaving early,” Nathan said to change the subject. “So we might as well say goodbye now.”

“I’m sorry to see you go so quickly.”

“How much do we owe you for the supplies?”

Nyle waved his hand. “Nothing, nothing. Please.”

“I was serious when I said you’d likely never see me again. If you’re hoping to use this as a favour—”

“Nonsense.”

“We appreciate your help.” Brohm offered a hand, to which Nyle accepted and shook.

Nathan offered the same, but instead of shaking his hand, Nyle hugged him.

“I’m going to miss you all over again. Damn you for coming back,” Nyle said, hiding his emotions behind a laugh.

Nathan returned it half-heartedly, not wanting to give him any false pretenses.

“If things change, promise me you’ll come back to visit?”

“No promises,” Nathan said plainly.

“Well, it was worth a shot. The supplies are in two sacks at the front door. Cured pork and fair number of biscuits.”

“Thanks again.”

Nyle turned to Brohm. “You take good care of him, okay?”

Brohm simply nodded, and Nyle exited the room, closing the door behind him. Nathan exhaled and rubbed his face.

“He’s got a thing for you, huh?”

“Yeah, has for a long time. He’s a persistent bastard.”

Brohm chuckled and sat on the nearest bed, removing his boots. With a yawn, he lay back and moaned ecstatically. “Oh comfy bed, where have you been all my life?”

Nathan extinguished the lamp and lay down on the next bed beside Brohm. Had they more time, he would’ve considered bunking with him, but he knew rest was more important.

* * *

“Nathan, we’ve got a problem.”

Brohm’s deep voice woke him from his slumber, and opening his eyes, found sunlight streaming through a window at the far end of the room.

“We overslept!” Nathan said.

Brohm acknowledged with a grunt while donning his boots. Nathan rose to glance out the window. It was late morning and the streets were a hubbub of activity. Opening the door, he peeked out into the hallway.

All was quiet.

They snuck their way down the long corridor, peering into open doors they crossed, but all were empty.

“Nathan?” Nyle’s voice came from behind.

They turned to find the man at the other end of the hallway, wearing a housecoat. “What are you doing here? I thought you said you’d be gone before first light.”

“That was the plan,” Nathan grumbled.

“Well, don’t fret. Make the most of it and rest some more, and you can leave after dark tonight.”

“I really don’t want to wait that long. We should be moving now.”

“Have you looked outside? Leaving now would be a sure death sentence.”

“He’s got a point,” Brohm chimed in.

Nathan drew a deep breath, pinching the bridge of his nose, and Brohm wrapped an arm around his shoulder to comfort him.

“Don’t worry, l’il buddy. We’ll leave tonight. What’s an extra day?”

Nathan knew Brohm was right, but felt like they were testing their luck staying in the village.

After breakfast, time passed slowly, and the warm atmosphere made for a lazy day. Brohm spent most of it exploring the many rooms in vague interest, and then napped in various chairs, as though testing their worthiness.

Lounging on a wide couch amid golden afternoon sunlight, Nathan and Nyle took the time to catch up on old news. But what Nyle wanted was information on their current predicament, and after badgering him for details, Nathan finally revealed the reason for the bounty on their heads.

“So Brohm’s involvement was purely happenstance?” Nyle asked.

Nathan nodded sombrely. “I told him the whole story, and offered that we split up, but the big lug just wanted to stick together.”

“Loyal to a fault. I can see why you like him.”

“We’ve been through a lot in a short time. I really do care for him.”

“He seems to care for you a great deal as well.”

“Yeah . . .” Nathan trailed off, wiping an eye.

“Are you crying?”

“No, there’s just something in my eye—”

“Oh shut up, you’re crying. In all the time I’ve known you, I’ve never seen you so open to your feelings. What’s changed?”

Nathan sat silent for a moment in an attempt to control his emotions, but lost to tears streaming down his cheek. “Because, damn it, I just want to live my life with him without being hunted at every turn. All of this is my doing, and if he gets killed in this mess, I could never forgive myself.”

Nathan sobbed into his hands while Nyle looked on, unsure what to do.

“Sorry,” Nathan managed after drawing a stuttered breath.

“You’ve changed,” Nyle said quietly. “I like the new you.”

“Nathan, what’s wrong?”

Both men looked up to find Brohm filling the doorway, a look of concern on his face. Nathan tried to compose himself, but failed miserably.

“He feels guilty for the position his actions have put you in,” Nyle said simply.

Brohm stepped into the room, and squeezed himself beside Nathan. “I keep telling you. It was my choice. It always was.”

Nathan’s sobbing returned, and he wrapped an arm around Brohm’s neck, burying his face into his chest.

“I’ll take my leave,” Nyle said uncomfortably and padded out of the room.

Brohm pulled Nathan away so he could look into his eyes. With a thumb, he wiped a tear from his cheek, and offered a mysterious smile that confounded him.

“What did I do to deserve you?” Nathan asked breathlessly.

“You didn’t do nothing. I’m nobody special.”

“You’re special to me,” Nathan said, smiling through tears.

Brohm swallowed and choked. “Stop it, you’re gonna make me cry.”

The big man pulled him close again in a crushing hug, allowing Nathan to give him a kiss on the neck. Held in his strong embrace for a time, he managed to regain his composure.

“I love you, big guy,” he whispered.

Suddenly, the calm broke with angry shouts originating from down the hall. Confused, both men rose to their feet and rushed to investigate.

“I don’t care if they are your friends, Nyle. I’m taking them in,” a voice demanded.

Nathan and Brohm stepped into the parlour, interrupting the heated conversation between Nyle and the angry man they’d met the night before.

“Taking us where?” Nathan asked.

“Nowhere,” Nyle said with finality. “Darryl, please—”

“No!” Darryl pointed at them. “They’re worth too much. You two are coming with me to the guard’s post.”

“Over my dead body,” Brohm said with arms crossed, puffing up his chest.

“If you insist,” Darryl said, pulling a knife.

“No violence,” Nyle pleaded.

Darryl stopped his approach toward Brohm and offered Nyle a sidelong glance. “You might be one step removed, but you still peddle violence, old man.”

“Darryl! What’s gotten into you?” Nyle cried.

“Isn’t it obvious? These two will ensure my early retirement.”

Nathan noted Brohm was unarmed and pulled his dagger, moving in between them, but the big man pushed him aside.

“I got this,” he rumbled.

Brohm lumbered toward Darryl, who fearlessly stood his ground brandishing his piddly knife. Before he could lunge at Brohm, the big man caught his hand with ease and twisted savagely. A terrible crack filled the room, and he dropped the knife with a howl. Brohm wasted no time, spinning him around and held him in a tight headlock.

“Darryl, you fool,” Nyle said, a hand to his face in disappointment.

“What do I do with this idiot?” Brohm asked Nathan.

“Uhm,” he pondered while Darryl’s face turned blue.

“You’re going to kill him,” Nyle said. “Let him go.”

Brohm roughly tossed him to the floor, and stepped forward to loom over the gasping man.

“We have to go. Now!” Nathan said, sheathing his dagger and looking out the nearest window. “The crowds have thinned. We’ll have to take our chances.”

“But this guy’s gonna tell we’ve been here,” Brohm said, cracking his knuckles. “I reckon we end him.”

Nyle was agast. “Absolutely not. What kind of barbaric animal are you?”

“One that fights back when cornered,” he replied with defiance. “I’ve no beef with you. You’ve been a kind host, but your friend here made a mistake.”

Darryl cowered at his feet, tenderly holding his broken wrist.

“I don’t think he’s going anywhere soon,” Nathan said. “By the time he does, we’ll be long gone.”

Grunting his disapproval, Brohm stepped away from the downed man.

“I’m sorry things ended like this,” Nathan said. “Try to delay him as long as you can.”

Nyle, glaring at Darryl with shame, simply nodded.

© 2013 Mike Carss
  • Like 10
  • Love 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Since Nyle is still in love with Nathan, he ended up to be no risk. They apparently forgot about his guest. Darryl, in his greed, foolishly thought he could capture them by himself. 

For a guy who hires out assassins, Nyle is awfully particula r about violence.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
46 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

For a guy who hires out assassins, Nyle is awfully particula r about violence.

Yeah, you can smell the hypocrisy from here. The money is good, but he'd rather just ignore what he's selling. That said, criminal or not, nobody wants violence in their own home.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

We find out Nyle has a thing for Nathan. He is helping them because he has strong feelings for Nathan who has not returned his desired connection. Unfortunately they overslept. Someone sees then and wants to turn them in for the money. The amount is compelling.  Brohm handles him and breaks is wrist.

Underthe pleading of Nyle they let him live and go on their way. But, surely the injured man will report their presence  and a party will be sent out to find them and collect the huge reward. Nathan and Brohm are in more trouble and must be on the lookout for trackers.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, akascrubber said:

But, surely the injured man will report their presence  and a party will be sent out to find them and collect the huge reward. Nathan and Brohm are in more trouble and must be on the lookout for trackers.

Fortunately, no one in Morringstone -- not even Nyle -- knows where Nathan and Brohm are headed. If they can make it out of town unseen, they should hopefully be safe. 🤞

  • Fingers Crossed 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Daddydavek said:

Their luck or lack thereof seems to continue, but what next?

They need to figure out how to get to the abandoned Tornel Keep. While it's not marked on the map, is it visible if you know where to look. It's just north of Morringstone. 😉

 

  • Love 4
Link to comment

The Keep looks a far bit away.They can find it if they try,I bet. They are motivated. It is their only hope for now.

But I also bet that evil will be present to stop them from taking the amulet. The witch did not warn them . Maybe she did not think they would seek the amulet if they knew it would be fiercely guarded by ?????

Well, we will find out soon enough.....

  • Love 1
  • Fingers Crossed 4
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
16 minutes ago, mcarss said:

They need to figure out how to get to the abandoned Tornel Keep. While it's not marked on the map, is it visible if you know where to look. It's just north of Morringstone. 😉

 

Obviously the ancestral home of Mel Torme, who dropped the L.

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
12 minutes ago, akascrubber said:

Well, we will find out soon enough.

I'm not gonna spoil anything except to say their little adventure at the keep consists of three chapters. Next chapter on Friday.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

They should have left much earlier and Daryl should have been silenced...he will be nothing but trouble moving forward...

21 hours ago, drpaladin said:

Obviously the ancestral home of Mel Torme, who dropped the L.

They might need Nancy Sinatra's boots tho....

  • Like 1
  • Wow 2
Link to comment

Sorry--Mel Torme's ancestral family home was in Poland

But, I am expecting who ever formerly ruled through the keep left very unpleasant things, traps, surprises for anyone trying to steal from it. Since we are told the Keep struggles last three chapters  something serious happens. It will not be a simple in and out search and  recovery and run back to the witch. Nathan and Brohm will be tested. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
11 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

They should have left much earlier and Daryl should have been silenced...he will be nothing but trouble moving forward...

They might need Nancy Sinatra's boots tho....

Mel didn't have anything to do with Nancy's boots, but he did roast chestnuts over an open fire.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
2 minutes ago, akascrubber said:

Sorry--Mel Torme's ancestral family home was in Poland

But, I am expecting who ever formerly ruled through the keep left very unpleasant things, traps, surprises for anyone trying to steal from it. Since we are told the Keep struggles last three chapters  something serious happens. It will not be a simple in and out search and  recovery and run back to the witch. Nathan and Brohm will be tested. 

And we know this isn't some alternate Poland how?

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, drpaladin said:

And we know this isn't some alternate Poland how?

My lack of details strikes again! 😅

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, drsawzall said:

They should have left much earlier and Daryl should have been silenced...he will be nothing but trouble moving forward.

Too bad they didn't have a magical alarm clock so they wouldn't have overslept. 😁

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..