Jump to content
    Mirage
  • Author
  • 1,645 Words
  • 659 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Fey - 1. Chapter 1

Chapter One

I always knew I was different than those around me. My family members are all big boned with well drawn features. None of them could be called ugly really, but they aren’t the model type either. My features are fine. I have a small lithe figure, which definitely comes in handy in certain circumstances. It’s amazing how fast I can move when I need to. My small four foot seven inch frame makes me stand out more than anyone else in my family.

Sandra, my sister and the apple of daddy’s eye, has a decent figure, but mine is nicer. I have an hourglass figure that everyone always talks about in fashion magazines. I’ve been told that if it wasn’t for my short stature, I could make money in the advertising business. Sandra is a large girl, well busted, but could never begin to have such a career. Besides her tush is too big. Don’t ever tell anyone I said that.

Even when I was younger, everyone seemed to notice how different I was from the rest of the family. They were always so healthy, and able to beat any germ. I was always treated like a little sickly house mite. Every single time there was a virus in the air, I would catch it. I missed so many days of school that they ended up having to home school me. In fact, I haven’t seen the inside of a school building in so long; I’ve forgotten what one looks like.

Living in our house was hard. There wasn’t a lot of extra money, and like most younger siblings, I had to wear all my sister’s hand-me-downs. This wouldn’t have mattered much, if I was built like her. Instead, everything I wore seemed to chafe my skin and cause a rash. Finally, at the age of ten, I couldn’t take it anymore and begged mom for a sewing machine for my birthday.

At first it was difficult. I had to teach myself how to use it. I experimented with all the fabrics and materials at my disposal. After many bitter disappointments I finally created my own fine hand woven cloth. Shh don’t tell anyone, but the secret ingredient in this cloth is dandelion floss. Although the material is as thin as can be, the strength of the material once it has been woven is as tough as cotton, but feels as smooth as silk. I knew it was like nothing anyone had ever seen before.

Using that cloth, I designed the most unusual dresses for myself. I know some people would say my dresses are just a little too revealing, but I like a little flesh showing. Plus, the important places are covered. I like to showcase my finer points.

“Chandelle come over here right this minute,” Sandra’s voice seemed to reverberate through the room. I knew it was partially my guilt which made it seem so loud.

The necklace was just lying there unattended. Was it my fault I couldn’t resist touching it?

“Mom,” Sandra whined while holding a twisted gold necklace in her hand, “Chandelle has been playing with my necklace, and now all the links are twisted.”

Her eyes bored into me. The anger blazed across her face as her eyes crinkled up in distaste.. I couldn’t help but look at Sandra, with fear in my eyes, while she complained to our mom. I wished with all my might that she wouldn’t leave me alone in the room with my vengeful sibling. I knew from experience, that that is exactly what was about to happen. Mom never seemed to see the plaintive look in my eye, or if she saw it, she just didn’t care. I hoped that it was the first one.

Mom’s anger was nothing compared to what Sandra would do to me after she left us alone. Although the blisters were always well hidden, they still hurt to the touch. My skin is still so delicate that even the slightest touch, leaves a mark. When my sister was angry enough, she would grab me so hard that it felt like fire. The resulting wound would look like it felt, a terrible burn.

As usual, Mom made light of the situation, and I knew this would only make Sandra angrier. I would feel her wrath very soon.

Looking down at the mangled necklace, Mom turned to Sandra with a look of impatience. “Sandra can’t you just wear one of your other necklaces? It isn’t like this is the only one you own.”

“But Mo-om!”

Hearing this, my mother’s expression changed from impatience to anger. Without a backward glance, she left the room and me with my angry sister. Trembling, I turned to her, hoping she wouldn’t see my fear. The instant our mom left the room Sandra picked up the necklace and with a sharp clink it fell against the already closed door. With trepidation I picked up the necklace from where it had fallen. As I lifted it, one of the broken links fell to the floor, and with it went any hopes I had of mollifying my sister.

Before I could react she grabbed the arm that had been holding the necklace and twisted with all her might. Excruciating pain shot through my arm, but I knew if I said one word, it would only get worse. Soundlessly the tears dripped from my eyes, but still I held my tongue. Sandra was screaming so loud, she probably wouldn’t have heard me anyhow.

“How many? How many times have I told you to stay away from my things?” Her 16 year old voice grated against my 14 year old sensitive ears. “You destroy everything you touch. What the hell is wrong with you?“The words screeched on, but the thoughts that tumbled through my brain drowned them out.

Sandra was right. I never could resist any pretty bauble I saw. I had been touching and exploring anything I could get my hands on, ever since I discovered I could. Glittery gold seemed to do something to my insides. As soon as the thoughts entered my mind, I knew they were an evil decadence. No one else seemed to get the pleasure I did from touching gold and other pretty things. It was almost orgasmic. When the object was in my hand, my mind shut off. The item sent waves of pleasure and energy all through me. Unfortunately, I had also discovered that during the process, the item was almost always destroyed. I couldn’t explain it, but it seemed after the item had given me its energy, it would melt or be ruined in some way.

I knew that Sandra was as confused as I was on why I seemed to have the destructive touch. In fact, there had been a few times in the past that I had caught her looking at me with fear in her eyes. I never let her know I saw though. She was so much bigger and stronger than me, and had been intimidating me for as long as I could remember. I really didn’t understand how she could ever be afraid of me.

Sandra must have had some instinct that I didn’t, because what happened next proved she was right to fear me.

The thoughts that ran through my brain stopped suddenly as a fist flew toward my face. Sandra noticed I was ignoring her, and was going to punch me. As I saw the fist through my peripheral vision I reached out and held onto it as hard as I could. As I did, I felt a strange energy course through my body. In fact, it felt similar to when I held those pretty objects, but much stronger.

I heard an ‘ummph’ from Sandra and let go in surprise. She fell to the floor, limp, like a sack of potatoes. My heart nearly leapt out of my chest. I thought she might be dead. My biggest worry, was that something I had done might have killed her. I knelt down, legs trembling, and put my ear to her mouth. With trepidation I listened for her breath. It was faint, but it was there. The hand I had been holding was bright red and blistered. It appeared to have 2nd degree burns all over it.

I sat on the floor looking at the very unconscious body of my sister. My hand was still tingling, with some unknown energy, when I heard footsteps approach from behind. Turning around I saw our mom stepping into the room. Behind her was Sandra’s latest boyfriend. She was so engaged in their conversation about the upcoming dance, that she almost tripped over Sandra’s prone body. My mom’s eyes widened as she took in the scene before her. The words that were about to come from her mouth were cut short and she cried out.

“Sandra!”

Mom looked at me accusingly, “What happened? “

She didn’t wait for an answer. I could see her eyes rivet onto Sandra’s burnt hand and she must have come to some conclusion as to the cause. She turned to Dennis, and completely ignored I was still in the room.

“You! Go get some blankets and call 911. It looks like Sandra has been electrocuted by something. Look at her hand. Be careful she might still be connected to a wire or something.”

I was still confused. I knew that it was no electrical shock that had burned Sandra, but not really understanding it. With self preservation kicking in, I allowed my mom to think she was right.

It didn’t take more than ten minutes, and the ambulance was at our door. My mom left with the ambulance as I stood there pondering what had really happened, and what I was going to do about it.

Copyright © 2011 Mirage; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..