Jump to content
    MrM
  • Author
  • 806 Words
  • 2,204 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The First Circlet: The Twining Of The Three - Prologue. Prologue

Crop Circles Through History

1678

There appears a circle in a field of corn of one of the many farmers serviceing the lands about Hardford-shire, England. A wood cutting is made and posted telling of the 'reason' behind the incident:
 
The farmer of the field in question has a dispute with his hired mower declaring that the poor field hand dersires too much for his wage. The farmer declares that he would rather the Devil himself mow his fields than to pay the mower his negotiated wage.
 
The Farmer is awakened that night to strange lights in his field that 'looked like his fields were aflame'. He checked the field the next morning to find a perfect oval cut into his field of corn.
 
Many of the townsfolk shunned the field as cursed by the Devil.
 
~~~~~
 
From Nature, volume 22, pp 290-291, 29 July 1880 - Authored by John Rand Capron
 
"The storms about this part of Surrey have been lately local and violent, and the effects produced in some instances curious. Visiting a neighbour's farm on Wednesday evening (21st), we found a field of standing wheat considerably knocked about, not as an entirety, but in patches forming, as viewed from a distance, circular spots.
 
Examined more closely, these all presented much the same character, viz., a few standing stalks as a centre, some prostrate stalks with their heads arranged pretty evenly in a direction forming a circle round the centre, and outside these a circular wall of stalks which had not suffered.
 
I send a sketch made on the spot, giving an idea of the most perfect of these patches. The soil is a sandy loam upon the greensand, and the crop is vigorous, with strong stems, and I could not trace locally any circumstances accounting for the peculiar forms of the patches in the field, nor indicating whether it was wind or rain, or both combined, which had caused them, beyond the general evidence everywhere of heavy rainfall. They were to me suggestive of some cyclonic wind action, and may perhaps have been noticed elsewhere by some of your readers." -- Sketch never published by Nature.
 
~~~~~
 
Easy as pi: Astrophysicist solves riddle of Britain's most complex crop circle
By DANIEL BATES
UPDATED: 18:50 EST, 17 June 2008
    
It is - by any calculation - a creation stunning in its ingenuity.
 
Carved out in a barley field, this 150ft wide pattern is said to be a pictorial representation of the first ten digits of Pi, one of the most fundamental symbols in mathematics.
 
Believers in extra-terrestrials could argue it was made by mathematically-minded aliens on a field trip to Earth.
 
Sceptics will think it the work of humans with a fondness for figures and a penchant for puzzles.
 
But whatever its origins, the experts say it is the most complex crop circle ever seen in Britain.
 
The pattern appeared earlier this month near Barbury Castle, an Iron Age hill fort above the village of Wroughton in Wiltshire.
 
Initially, crop circle enthusiasts were stumped as to its meaning and even a number of experts said it was 'mind-boggling'.
 
Then retired astrophysicist Mike Reed saw a photograph of it and made the mathematical link.
 
He said the crop pattern 'clearly shows' the first ten digits of pi, which - as many will remember from their schooldays - is used to calculate the area of a circle using the formula Pi r squared.
 
Mr Reed said: 'I noticed a photo of the Barbury Castle pattern. It shows a coded image representing the first ten digits of Pi - the ratio of the circumference of a circle to the diameter.
 
'The tenth digit has even been correctly rounded up.
'The little dot near the centre is the decimal point. The code is based on ten angular segments, with the radial jumps being the indicator of each segment.'
 
After working out the sequence, Mr Reed produced a diagram. The image is an example of what is known as a fractal, or geometric pattern.
 
Fractals have been a staple of crop circle designs for many years, the most well known being the Mandelbrot Set or the Julia Set, which appeared 12 years ago in Avebury Trusloe, Wiltshire.
 
Lucy Pringle, a renowned researcher of crop formations, has the largest database in the world on the phenomenon.
She said yesterday: 'This is an astounding development - it is a seminal event.'
 
Although numerous-individuals have come forward over the years admitting they had been making crop circles, many people still believe the rings are linked with the paranormal or civilizations in far-flung galaxies.
 
As yet, no one has claimed responsibility for the Barbury Castle circle.
 
@Copyright 2010 Michael DuMonte; All Rights Reserved
  • Like 12
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 04/14/2015 04:43 PM, Celethiel said:
I was Laughing at the 1679 crop circle... :D most amusing, i hope it continues to be this good ;)
Yes....laugh now but all I can say is...some of those old timers were a lot smarter and wiser than we are now about such things... ;)
Link to comment

Barbury Castle circle from 2008 was a beautiful thing, regardless of it's origin. Very complex mathematics encoded in it, as well as being visually pleasing.

Link to comment
On 03/07/2016 04:51 AM, Fae Briona said:

Barbury Castle circle from 2008 was a beautiful thing, regardless of it's origin. Very complex mathematics encoded in it, as well as being visually pleasing.

Maybe the sacred geometry of Barbury Castle mapped what is described in The Tearing?

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..