Jump to content
    Nephylim
  • Author
  • 5,226 Words
  • 2,513 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Hubble Bubble - 8. Chapter 8

The river is shimmering in the dying light. It is sweet to stand here with my head on Nick’s shoulder, listening to the soft and gentle sounds of the day winding down. Nick puts his arm around me and I relax into his side. He rests his cheek on my hair and sighs, his breath tickling my hair.

“I missed you so much. You have no idea how much it hurt, how much I wanted to die when I thought you were dead.”

“I can’t even begin to imagine what it was like. I don’t know how I would feel if I thought you had died. I don’t know how I would cope. I guess I wouldn’t, not really, not ever. But it’s over now, babe. I’m here and I’m not going to leave you ever again.”

“You better not.” I can feel him smile and he squeezes me just a little bit harder. We are lost in the moment and, at first we don’t notice the change in the air, the shimmering on the far bank of the river.

It is the air that alerts me. I remember the first time I went to the Summerlands and the way that the air felt light and sweet. I look up and he is there.

“Ariel.”

Nick’s head jerks up and he snorts. I hope that Ariel didn’t hear and, somehow I feel embarrassed about the fact that I am so close to Nick in every way. Ariel does not smile. He simply waits and watches. He is dressed in a silver white suit, a wide silver belt at his waist and a powder blue shirt under his frock coat which is a very similar style to Nick’s. His hair too is tied back with a silver ribbon. It seems as if the Great Universal is mocking me. They are like negatives of each other, one light and one dark, one who has my love and one who wants it. I feel the tension crackle in the air and curse under my breath.

Wriggling out from under Nick’s arm, I take his hand and step into the river. This one is too wide to be able to step over but, although my foot sinks a foot to the river bed the water does not touch me and I do not get wet.

Nick follows somewhat reluctantly and we arrive safely on the other side in moments. Ariel says nothing but raises his hands and offers us each something. I take the object and examine it in the bright moonlight. I experience a thrill of excitement when I see that it is a mask. I lift it to my face and turn to Nick, smiling. I freeze when I see his. It is awesome, with raven feathers fanning out over the eyes and diamonds sparkling around the gaping holes where deep purple glitters even brighter.

“Wow. Is mine like that?”

“Like what? I can’t see mine.” He takes it down and glances at it and then up at mine. “Er... no.”

I pull my mask off and examine it more closely. It is black too, with feathers, but it has a strange, beak like nose and the gems surrounding the eyes are jet black and glitter darkly. It looks strange and unnerving.

“Great.”

“Swap?”

“That might be fun.”

“The Queen was very specific. She told me which mask to give to each of you. She didn’t tell me that you couldn’t swap after I gave them to you.” Ariel’s voice is strange. It is clear he is trying to speak lightly and just as obvious that his heart isn’t in it. I smile at him and he looks away.

“Let’s go to a ball then.”

To be fair to Nick he doesn’t put his arm around me or even hold my hand. I can feel him like a brooding presence walking at my side as we follow Ariel, a candle of silver blue, cutting away the darkness almost surgically; stiff and straight and cold.

Within a few minutes we break out of the trees onto the same road we had been on before. Again we turn a corner and the road sweeps down towards the valley floor and, as before the Queen’s palace nestles between a river and a wood, but this time it is not remotely like a Roman villa. It is a castle, plain and simple, minarets soaring like confections made of spun sugar, multicoloured flags waving in the breeze.

We are not the only ones on the road today. Carriages rattle past us pulled by horses capped with feathered plumes, many with flowers woven into their manes. Riders in groups of ones and twos move past at a stately pace or gallop wildly, whooping and calling. Some passers by call out greetings and once or twice Ariel lifts a hand in acknowledgement. Mostly he walks in sullen silence, his head down.

I try not to let it bother me, to ignore the tension that radiates from him, and the answering tension that sings from Nick, at my side. This is ridiculous and I am not about to get caught between these two. This is going to be the night of my life, the party of all parties with my love at my side and I am damned well going to enjoy it, no matter what.

As we pass under the gates we see people, lots of them... well in the loosest definition of the word ‘people’. They are gathered in groups of two and three and are chatting animatedly. They are all dressed in formal clothes of which the predominant colours are black and white... at least of the clothes if not the people... and they are all wearing masks.

As we walk towards the door I catch snatches of the conversations and it begins to sink in that the ball is no random event but it is to celebrate some great victory and make some important presentation of an important person. No one seems to know who this person is but they tend to believe that it is a general who has distinguished himself in the battle. I heard the word ‘shapeshifter’ mentioned and think ‘Lucifer’. Just great. I have been on the wrong side of that smirk too often to welcome the idea of having to sit through a ceremony in his honour. Still...

“Do you know what’s going on?”

I turn, surprised by the coldness in Nick’s voice, but he isn't speaking to me. Ariel turns his head slowly to look at him and the eyes flash ice blue through the holes in his mask.

“We have been at war. Without you in his hands The Merlin was defenceless; there was no reason for our armies not to march on him and, thanks to Sam we knew where he was based. The war was brief and his fortress fell yesterday. The Merlin has yet to be found but his army is in shreds and his bases destroyed. It will be a long time before he is a threat to either world again.”

“I see. And this person who is to be honoured? Is it my... is it Lucifer?”

“I don’t know. The Queen has been silent on the matter. Whatever you hear is conjecture. I do know that she is excited about it, that she has been planning this ball for weeks.”

“Weeks? I...”

“Remember that time passes differently here. Our lands are in a different world, a different plane. The essence of the Summerlands is more pure energy, we vibrate at a higher frequency, we are less mundane. Time passes more quickly, or at least it can, the whole concept is more fluid here. Here is has been almost three months since the ritual.”

“I keep forgetting. It seems as if it was only a few days ago I last saw you.”

Ariel turns to look at me and the golden flecks in his eyes are far more noticeable, as is the catch in his voice when he speaks. “I have... watched. I needed to know that you had recovered well from the ritual. I have been... busy with the war or I would have come.” He lowers his eyes then raises them again, to meet mine, with something like challenge raw in their depths. “There was a part of me that was reckless, that wanted to be hurt, even to be destroyed. I hurt inside. I have missed you.”

What do you say to something like that? I forget all the time that Ariel is new to this, that he has never had feelings and therefore, not only has he not learned to control them he has not learned to hide them either.

“Ah, cut the bleeding heart crap kid. Just show us where we need to go and get over it.”

“Nick!”

I am truly shocked by the icy heartlessness in his voice. I have never seen this side of him before. No, that is not entirely true. I have always known that Nick could be cold when he needed to be. It’s just that, in the past it has always been on occasions where his clear headed, icy rage has benefitted the both of us. I have never been on the wrong end of it and neither has anyone I care about. And yes, I do care about Ariel. I always have.

The dark blue eyes flash at me from behind the feathered mask. Nick’s face is impassive. “There is nothing to be gained from encouraging him to believe there is any future in loving you. It is crueller than being clear to begin with. Make it clear to him Sam, let there be no room for hope or misunderstanding. That’s the only way that you can both move on.”

He turns and walks away, leaving me with an Ariel who is shaking and staring at the floor.

“I’m sorry Ariel. That was cruel. Nick isn’t usually like this. I don’t know what’s come over him.”

“No... he’s right. I am a fool. I... I do know there is no future. I know that you have Nick and that you love him. I know that... I know...” He turns away and I can hear the tears in his voice. I take his arm and draw him back.

“Ariel... please...I can’t leave it like this. I...”

“It’s alright Sam. I understand. Really... I understand.”

Before I can say or do anything else he turns away and I have to hurry to follow him through the thickening crowd. Somewhere along the way Nick joins us.

“Have you fixed it?”

“Fixed it? No, I haven’t ‘fixed it’, not by a long way. That was uncalled for Nick; it was cruel. I know that I have to clear things up, but not like that.”

“I wasn’t being cruel Sam, not... just being cruel. He is in love with you. As long as you let him believe there is the slightest hope he will hold on to that and he won’t move on. He needs a clean cut Sam, you know that, and you are too tender hearted.”

“Maybe.”

“Unless, of course you do have feelings for him.”

“Shut up Nick.”

“Seriously.”

“Seriously, shut up Nick.”

Although I can’t see his face, as I am deliberately and determinedly not looking at him, I can feel the smile and for once I want to slap him.

Ariel leads us through the crowds along a corridor and into a hall that is so big it could not possibly be housed within the castle I have seen from the outside. The ceiling is so high there are clouds floating above us. Some of them are occupied.

Through the clouds on huge golden chains hang massive chandeliers holding hundreds of white candles in golden cups. Many of the candles have fire elementals dancing in them which tint the candle light golden, red, orange, green and blue.

It is impossible to see the whole of the room but it appears that, all around the edges of the circular room there are tables laden with food and drink. Behind the tables the walls consist entirely of floor to ceiling mirrors in front of which waiters dressed in silver and white stand ready to assist and other waiters bearing silver trays wander among the guests offering titbits or champagne in long stemmed glasses.

As outside, all of the guests are dressed in black and/or white and are wearing masks. It is surreal walking through bodies which range from eight foot tall dryads whose skin closely resemble tree bark to sprites and fairies smaller than children and slender as candle flame. It is even more disconcerting to realise that behind the masks lurk faces that are, in some cases, less human than the masks which cover them.

Without deviation Ariel leads us straight through the press of bodies, across the ballroom. Here there is a table behind which there are no mirrors. Instead there is a wall hanging, showing a forest scene. Birds fly through the branches of trees which are leaved with gold and silver. Small animals scurry and peer timidly out of the tapestry as if curious about the activity in the ballroom.

In front of the hanging, behind the table, there are a number of chairs, the only ones in the room. The middle one is not, precisely a chair at all... it is a throne. On the throne the Queen is slouching, her eyes scanning the throng, a glittering golden mask dangling from her hand and an expression of studied disinterest on her face. The chair to her right is occupied by Lucifer, who is wearing a tailed tuxedo and an evil expression. He is toying idly with the stem of a glass which contains a strangely swirling green liquid.

When she sees us the Queen perks up, and sits straighter on the throne. Her eyes bore into us as we weave through the crowd towards the table. When we reach the table she stands up, her eyes on Nick. As usual he is charming, cool and unfazed.

“Thank you Ariel. You may go.” She waves her hand dismissively and Ariel, after a glance at me that could have meant anything, turns and disappears into the crowd. “Come, sit with me Sam, Nick.” She motions to the seats on her left.

Nick precedes me and sits next to her. She smiles, her eyes warm and her face strangely open and welcoming. For the cool Queen that is unusual and it immediately makes me wonder what she is up to.

“I hear you have been to war and that this is your victory ball.”

“You have sharp ears. That is, indeed the case. I would like to have said that we completely avenged the wrong that was done to you but, unfortunately the man who was responsible has temporarily escaped us. Don’t worry, he will be caught. He cannot hide forever, not now.”

“I’m not looking for revenge.”

“I applaud you. However, the man who wronged you also wronged me... and I am not so forgiving.”

“So I hear.”

The Queen laughs, a silvery sound, and throws a blatantly flirtatious look at Nick, which he entirely ignores.

“You should not listen to everything you hear of us Nick. It is deeply regrettable that Sam is so distrustful. After all we have been nothing but accommodating, have we not?”

“In a way. I can’t deny that if it wasn’t for you I would not have been able to rescue Nick, but there is a price, is there not? There is always a price.”

“For every action there is a consequence, this much is true, as I am sure Ariel could tell you, if you would spare the time to speak to him.”

“What happened to Ariel was an accident, you know that. I have done my best to do what’s right. It’s you who keeps throwing him in my face and I wonder whether you are thinking of his feelings when you are doing that?”

The Queen gives me a long hard look and then smiles. “Oh indeed I am Sam. I find myself thinking of his feelings more and more. It is not often that one of my subjects has his heart broken by a human, at least not one who survived it.”

“Are you trying deliberately to goad my boyfriend, Your Majesty?”Nick’s voice is cold put polite and I smother a smirk. Good old Nick. “If you are I would suggest that you get to the point of why you wanted us brought here, so that we can leave, before I am forced to be uncivil to you.”

“How gallant. Rushing to the defence of the one you love, even at the risk of angering the person in whose total power you now find yourself.”

“Are you threatening me?”

“Oh my dear boy, you have no idea, no idea at all. If you did you would not say such things.”

“Then tell me.”

“All in good time my dear.”

“No, in my time... my dear. I am giving it up willingly to you at the moment but my patience is wearing thin. I do not take kindly to being threatened... directly or indirectly and I certainly do not take kindly to deliberate goading, of me... or Sam.

“Don’t get me wrong, I am grateful to you for rescuing me, of course I am, without your assistance I would still be suffering. However, that assistance does not entitle you to a mortgage on my soul. I came here because I was curious and because I was grateful. But I am not that grateful. I would suggest you get to the point before my patience completely deserts me.”

The Queen idly taps the stem of her glass with long slender fingers and regards us thoughtfully. There is a smile playing on her lips.

“Lucifer told me that you were strong and stubborn. That does not surprise me. You are fully recovered then... from your ordeal?”

“I am. I was not aware for most of the time and so it was hardly an ordeal, more an... inconvenience.” His voice is guarded. He is far from recovered but he will never admit that, not here, not to her.

“Good. Lucifer tells me that you do not wish to avail yourself of our protection, even though you remain vulnerable in the human world.”

“Do not believe that I am vulnerable anywhere. I have my own means of protection and I would not live here if my life depended on it. This is not my home.”

“It was once.”

Nick frowns and I feel him stiffen. I grip his thigh and squeeze, my way of supporting him.

“Are you trying to tell me that I used to live here?”

“A long time ago, when you were very young; until it became unsafe.”

“Unsafe?”

“Yes. There were those who would have hurt you, who would have used you... just like The Merlin did.”

“Why? What’s so special about me?”

The Queen gives him a very direct, very appraising look and smiles. “It is not so much who you are as who your parents are my dear. You have an impeccable lineage for which, I am afraid, you have suffered most of your life. When you were seven an attempt was made on your life. It was the fourth since your birth, not counting the attempts to take you from your family. It was decided that for your own safety you should be sent away, into the mortal realm where you would be raised in anonymity and safety until you were a man, able to take care of yourself, to accept the responsibility of who you are.”

Nick looks slightly stunned, and I’m not surprised. “What are you talking about? My parents weren’t that special... were they? I have been told that my father was a shapeshifter.” He glances across at Lucifer who grins malevolently. “He... um... I really don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“You will, my dear, and when you do you will realise that your place is here.”

“I don’t think so. I don’t know what game you are trying to play or what manipulation you are planning but there is no way that you are going to be able to make me stay here. Perhaps I was born here... perhaps... but you can’t make me stay.”

“No, I can’t make you stay. But I am confident that when you know the truth you will want to stay. You have never been one to run from your responsibilities, or so I am told.”

“Responsibilities? What are you talking about? What responsibilities?”

“All in good time. Why don’t you relax for a while, refresh yourselves?”

Nick grabs my hand and squeezes it and I can feel the tension humming through him. “You asked me to come and I came. I have admitted that was because of curiosity and some feelings of gratitude. Now it would seem that the gratitude was somewhat misplaced as my rescue was clearly more of a political benefit to you than it was an act of mercy or compassion towards me. Given that my curiosity has been sated more than adequately and I am now beginning to feel rather like a mouse in the paws of a cat, and that there is very little chance of relaxing at all until I am home where I belong, which is not here, I can see no reason to linger. There is nothing to keep me here.”

“Oh but there is.”

Nick stands up and I stand with him, fear humming through me as some presentience grips me. Nick is headstrong and fearless and I am suddenly terrified that he is going to cross a line and we will find ourselves fighting the whole of the fey army. I remember with extreme discomfort the silver helmets and very sharp spears.

“Are you threatening me?”

“Not at all. I would no more hurt a hair on your head than I would cut off my own right hand. Do sit down my dear, people are staring.”

“Let them stare. In a moment they won’t have anything to stare at because I will be gone.”

“Sit down Nicholas. I have an announcement to make. Afterwards we will talk. If, then you decide that you wish to go back to the mortal world you may go with my blessing.”

I can tell that Nick is not happy but he sits down and so do I. Smiling a veiled, crafty smile the Queen gets to her feet and instantly three loud trumpet calls ring out and the room falls silent, every eye turned to the table. The queen raises her hands and her voice carries out over the floor, soft as spring rain and just as saturating. No one fails to hear her.

“My dear subjects we have called you here today in order to celebrate. Many of you have lost those you love in the battles that have been taking place on our borders over the past years and in the greatest battle of all which has now secured peace. We are your humble servant and our gratitude to you all for your loyalty and bravery is boundless.

“It is with the greatest of pleasure that we come to you now and declare that, at last we have peace and security on our borders and in our lands. But the greatest pleasure is yet to come, for we have an announcement to make that has not only brought joy to our heart but which, we are sure, will seal the peace for many years to come.

“A long time ago a great treasure was taken from this place, a treasure that unlike silver or gems, has grown more precious and more beautiful with each passing year, whether it be here, in our own Summer lands or in the Winter lands of the mortals. For almost five hundred years we have mourned its passing whilst in the lands where it has lain hidden and carefully nurtured barely fifteen have touch its glorious countenance.

“But now we have the pleasant task of announcing, here before you all, my wonderful people, my loyal subjects. Our treasure has been returned to us. Through the auspices of our trusted friend and servant Lucifer Black and with the invaluable aid of our most honourable mortal friend Sam, we have recovered that which is most precious to our heart.”

The Queen turns to Nick and holds out her hand. Nick looks at me and I shrug. I have no idea what is going on but I really don’t like the sound of it. The hair on the back of my neck is standing on end and I shiver. Nick has taken off his mask and it is lying on the table. I see him glance at it and I know what he is thinking. He is wishing he still had it on, had something to hide behind, to shelter him from the hundreds of eyes that are all fixed on him.

In the end he doesn’t really have much choice. He takes the hand and gets to his feet. As he does so the Queen embraces him and kisses him lightly on each cheek. He frowns at her and growls so softly that no one but she and I could have heard.

“I don’t know what you’re up to but this had better not be some cheap trick to try and keep me here.”

Flicking him a glance from beneath lowered lashes the Queen turns back to the people, throwing her hands into the air, still gripping Nick’s hand with a surprisingly strong grip and forcing his arm to raise along with hers.

“My people. May I present your Prince; my son. Nicholas, The Reigner.”

The hall erupts in cheering and I freeze. Nick is frozen too, his eyes flicking over the crowd, all of whom are cheering... for him. I know that he is looking for a bolt hole, an escape route. I know that he is hating this, that the panic is building along with the anger. I know Nick, she does not.

At last the Queen sinks back onto the throne and Nick stiffly sits too.

“Do you not wish to address your subjects?”

“My subjects? I think not. How dare you? How dare do that to me?”

The Queen looks genuinely shocked, although she has no idea of the danger she is facing. Nick’s voice is quiet and level but there is an edge to it I know so very well. He is on a knife edge. One wrong word, one look and he will explode into unpredictable action. I reach for his hand but he snatches it away and rounds on the Queen... his mother.

“My dear...”

“Don’t call me that. You don’t know me. You don’t know anything about me. How dare you humiliate me? How dare you bring me here on false pretences and then spring something like that on me?”

“It is the way it is done here.”

“It may be the way it is done in your world but it sure as hell is not the way it is done in mine.”

“This is your world.”

“No!” Now he is almost shouting and a few of the people who are closest to us are turning to see what the commotion is about. The Queen waves her hand and they all turn away. It is almost as though an invisible curtain comes down between us. “This is not my world. Maybe it once was, maybe it will be again some day, but right now... this is no more my world than you are my... than you are kin to me. I don’t know you and I don’t want to know you, not after that, not after what you did to me.”

“Really Nicholas, you are over reacting. I expected more than petty displays of hysterical dramatics from you.”

“Hysterical? Do I look hysterical?” In fact he looks entirely calm, way too calm. There are high spots of colour on his cheeks and they are the only indications to those with eyes to see of the cold deadly anger that is lying just beneath the surface. As shocked and stunned as I am, I am able to see that, why isn’t she?

“Nicholas behave yourself.”

“What? I am not a naughty schoolboy being told off for some prank. Don’t try and pretend to be a mother to me.”

The Queen draws herself up and looks at us with all the weight of her position and her power. I feel it wash over me in waves and even Nick sways under its force.

“Whether you like it or not, whether you want it or not, whether you accept it or not I AM your mother: you ARE the crown prince and you WILL take your rightful place and rule at my side until the time comes to take the reigns of power into your hands.”

Nick, pale and shaken though he is straightens his spine and practically spits out the words. “Where were you when I was growing up, when I had a nightmare or was afraid of the dark, when I was sick or lonely, when I hurt myself, when my parents died leaving me alone at fifteen to fend for myself? Where were you when I was lost and afraid? Where were you when I needed you? Whether you bore me or not: You... Are... Not... My... Mother.”

“Be very careful Nicholas. Whether or not you accept that I am your mother, you are fey and therefore I am still your Queen. You will not speak to me in that way. You will take your rightful place and accept the responsibility of rule. There is no choice in this.”

“Choice? There are always choices, and I am making one right now.”

Before anyone can do anything Nick is on his feet and leaps the table in one clean, graceful bound. In moments he is lost in the crowd.

I expect the Queen to be angry but, instead she smiles and shakes her head. “Such spirit. He’s going to be so much fun. Find him Lucifer, bring him to me in my chamber. Perhaps I was premature in making this a public affair. No wait.” Lucifer is already on his feet and he pauses. “Take him to the walled garden.” She turns to me. “Wait for him there Sam. I believe that it is your calming presence he needs now. You will do the right thing I know, will make him realise that he cannot escape his destiny. Speak with him and when he is calm, then bring him to me.”

“You are presuming a lot aren’t you?”

“Indeed, I always do.” Before I can say another word she vanishes. Lucifer gives me a hard stare and then slinks off.

“Wait. How do I find...?” There is no one there to hear. With a sigh I pick up the masks, goodness knows why, and wander towards the end of the table where I can see wide double doors, thrown open to the sweet scented night air. Surely someone can direct me to the walled garden.

Copyright © 2010 Nephylim; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Bleh I knew there was a reason I didn't like the fey.. I feel so bad for Ariel the fey treat him like something to poke and prod at and watch it twist in pain. Even Nick was doing it whether it was due to jealousy or being half fetch still don't like it. Everything is going to backfire on Sam either that or it all going to come down to a decision and someone is going to be hurt.

Link to comment
On 04/01/2013 09:49 AM, Daithi said:
Bleh I knew there was a reason I didn't like the fey.. I feel so bad for Ariel the fey treat him like something to poke and prod at and watch it twist in pain. Even Nick was doing it whether it was due to jealousy or being half fetch still don't like it. Everything is going to backfire on Sam either that or it all going to come down to a decision and someone is going to be hurt.
Nick is fey. Ariel is also fey but, as an elemental he's pretty much the lowest of the low and to be used in whatever way they wish. Nick can't understand why Sam is making such a big deal about Ariel. Someone is definitely going to get hurt
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..