Jump to content
    QuinnDK
  • Author
  • 984 Words
  • 5,025 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

My Last Day Without You - 12. Breaking News from Gawker!

The following articles are excerpts from Gawker:


The Viking Scored Last Night (In More Ways Than One)

9:41 am, February 14

Well, uh, Happy Valentine's Day?

To recap for our readers who were marooned on a desert island or stranded on Mars yesterday: the saga of 'Hezra' came, saw, and conquered. An (accidental?) bedroom picture of Portland Knights team captain Henrik Ford cuddling up to former PopViral writer Ezra Grayson leaked on Twitter and oh, the pearls that were clutched.

What followed was an unpredictable, manic shitstorm of aggressive public behavior, corporate confrontations and frenzied paparazzi dodging that put Toronto - Ezra's hometown and the setting of this 24 hour debacle - in an utter tailspin. (That poor city. Hadn't they suffered enough under the former mayorship of Rob Ford?)

Last night at approximately 8:04 pm EST on TSN, Henrik Ford apologized to his paramour Ezra in front of the entire country (of Canada, plus us Americans who snuck a livestream link to watch). Immediately and abruptly after, Henrik dashed out of the press room and stole a paparazzi-captured smooch with Ezra on the street outside the hotel. A grand gesture worthy of the greatest romcoms.

Confused? Well, so were we. According to sources, Henrik and Ezra hadn't been on speaking terms following a brief trip to North York late yesterday. No one quite knows what the schism was about - though it wouldn't take a Harvard degree to guess that intense media scrutiny played at least some part in it. (Guilty as charged, we suppose...)

We're just gonna come out and say it: we've been rooting for these two since they came into the public eye. Henrik's speech took some serious cojones. And even if we're missing the entire picture, we're just glad they ended up together. We think. For now. And we very much look forward to that picture of Hezra making out in the street to take on a life on its own - the LGBT equivalent of the iconic sailor and nurse V-J Day kiss, maybe?

Much has been quiet from Team Hezra since their public kiss-and-makeup last night and neither party has responded to requests for interviews. May we take a guess as to what, ahem, has been keeping them occupied?

Go on with your bad selves, Hezra. This Valentine's Day is for you. You deserve it.


PopViral Stand-off Signals Growing Problems Within Online News Industry

10:17 am, February 14

Several current and former employees of online news giant PopViral have written to Gawker since yesterday's very public schism between Ezra Grayson and PopViral editor-in-chief Heather Cassidy.

Ezra's tiff (or rant, depending on how you saw it) inside PopViral's head office in Toronto leaked in full on YouTube last night and caused quite the stir. It appears that his complaints only scratch the surface of an organization that utilizes questionable journalistic practices and shoddy treatment of its interns and staff. One employee described the company's work conditions as "soul crushing" and "exploitative".

We are working to compile a full list of complaints from all sources that have contacted us. If you are currently or formerly employed by PopViral and would like to share your story, please email us ASAP. We promise full anonymity.

In related news, the 'Hezra' picture that started it all (you know the one) has disappeared from PopViral's Twitter account where it originally appeared yesterday. When reached for comment, a representative noted that deleting the tweet was an internal decision. They declined to elaborate.

PopViral has also refused to comment on the nature of this article.


Trouble for the Viking? (UPDATE: Maybe not)

10:56 am, February 14

Woo. Are you tired of all the Hezra news yet? Last one for today. We promise. Maybe.

Apparently, Henrik Ford's now infamous apology on TSN wasn't supposed to address Ezra or even reference him at all. Our sources say that a representative from Klein & Ally Partners (that's one of New York's biggest and scariest PR firms, for all you peons) had actually written out an apology for Henrik to read verbatim. That would definitely explain the little white card he tore up (several GIFs of that awesome moment are already on Tumblr, if you're curious).

So what does this act of rebellion mean for the brawny Viking? Has he been jousted from the Knights? Possibly for good?

An earlier version of this article indicated that yes, higher-ups in the league were considering harsh punishments for Henrik's little sorry-switcharoo. But we've recently spoken with the NHL about his possible penalties, and you might be surprised to hear the conclusions they came to.

"Henrik Ford is a talented athlete and a kind, generous individual who's well known within Portland for his philanthropy," said Sheila Conrad, Executive VP of Communications for the NHL. She went on to note Henrik's enthusiastic involvement with Portland's Stand for Children Leadership Program, which he's been part of for the last six years.

But what of the rumors that several sponsors threatened to pull support from the Portland Knights in light of the 'Hezra' kerfuffle?

"While it's true that a few corporate partners had expressed concern, in review of Henrik's speech on TSN and his personal track record, all sponsors will remain with the Portland Knights through the duration of the season, as per their contracts."

Speaking of hockey season, there's been an awful lot of murmuring that Joseph Taggert (the Knights' notoriously bullheaded coach) will bench Henrik for the rest of it...

"Player discipline of that nature is handled by that specific team's management, not the NHL. I cannot comment on that, no."

Hmmmm. Looks like the Viking dodged quite a few sidechecks. The Knights have yet to release an official statement regarding Henrik's availability for the remainder of hockey season, but fear not, we'll update as soon as we hear them from them.

Until then, just enjoy your god damn Valentine's Day. Alright?

Copyright © 2016 QuinnDK; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 50
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

A very nice touch, seeing things from the media's point of view. Henrik is still probably going to get into trouble, but the team management can't be seen to be doing more than giving him a slap on the wrist. If they tried to do more, they'll get a massive backlash from the fans. It's a case of since Henrik has stated the 'official' position, they have to be seen to fall into line or they'll risk a very public schism between management and the team captain.

Link to comment

Funny and a bit disheartening to see the change in the media's tone. These things happen all too often and not many are allowed to speak their mind in peace. And PopViral could be getting at taste of their own medicine...

Link to comment

A well written take on the bullshit celeb media gossip columns. Looking forward to your wrap-up of this whirlwind story. :D

Link to comment

I sincerely love your writing style, I can't wait this story and all the rest you have writing. Keep up the great work

Link to comment

Smh, this story has touched my heart and now its ending already. Time to light my little candle for all the wonderful emotions I've experienced through this ..lol :,(

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..