Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 10,545 Words
  • 1,312 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Blueblood 5.1: Red Alert!! - 13. Yuri and Zoya's Second Night

Enough, Bubba! I did another chapter for Blueblood, but if I don't write on the others, a lynch mob will be after me! Some know where I live! Yes, I'll remember what you sent me for this story. I can retain it! One more for a while, guys.

I shook my head at George’s comment and knew Zoya and Yuri would not have been happy. I turned to them and quickly assured, “George hopes your hunger for blood won’t return because he never gives absolutes.” I explained. “I never heard of anyone having an adverse reaction to the serum and no one on the serum reverts to a vampire as long as the serum is maintained.” I waved George away. “He’s being a drama queen.”

George looked indignant, “I am not being a drama queen! With any medication, even if it’s ninety-nine percent effective and safe there is that one percent that should be warned against!”

“Which has never happened,” I shot back. “You still use the same sterilization techniques when you administer the serum. You could use the dirtiest needle and the venom would kill any infection before it even starts.”

George and I were on opposite sides of our patients and both Zoya and Yuri were like spectators at a tennis match, turning their heads from one to the other. Neither George nor I were angry or mad and there were smiles on Zoya’s and Yuri’s as George and I had our exchange.

“It’s best if we keep that technique going,” George cautioned. “I wouldn’t want you to forget, and who knows what infection or illness could rise from this?”

“Are you afraid someone will sue you for malpractice?” I asked.

George stuck his arms out in frustration, “I don’t want to hurt anyone unnecessarily!”

“Which makes you the best doctor and scientist!” I looked at Zoya. “He is really the best.”

Zoya chuckled, “I believe you.”

Yuri pointed at me and then George, “All of you are like this?”

George shook his head, “Oh, no.”

I laughed and added, “Some are worse!”

George nodded, “Mark and Stan…”

“You saw Mark and Ellis yesterday,” I added.

“Even Wayne and Amasis,” George said and then waved at me, “Devon and Colin!”

“You and Colin,” I pointed out.

George’s nod wavered a little, “We know each other too well and get along.” He smiled. “Now, some people want to see you. Would it be alright to allow some visitors?”

Yuri nodded, “Sure.” He rubbed his chest again. “We do this again tonight.” He confirmed.

“Yes,” I answered. “However, you know the pain now and it will not be quite as bad. It will still hurt.” I reached over to the lab table and got a round mirror they could see their faces in and handed it to Zoya. “You might want to be reminded why you’re doing this.” I handed the mirror to Zoya.

Zoya looked puzzled but took the mirror. She looked at her reflection and gasped. In the light she could see her face had color again and there was a sparkle in her eyes. It wasn’t a lot, that would come, but there was more than she had for a couple of centuries. The green in her eyes was a pale, light green. They now had some moisture. Touching her face, she moved her cheek down to see the moisture more clearly. “I’d almost forgotten.” She looked at Yuri more carefully. His face and eyes had the same new additions. Yuri seemed to be captivated by Zoya. She handed the mirror over to her husband. “See your own reflection.”

Yuri took the mirror and almost had to tear his eyes off Zoya to look at his reflection. He too gasped. His dark brown eyes also had moister, and his skin had color. Almost normal. Almost. He looked at George. “I want this. Has there been problems with the serum?”

George gave a shrugging nod, “Only if the weeklong treatments are interrupted.”

“We had that with Vlad and had to start over.” I added. I waved at George, “Before he perfected the serum to work as it does now, he and Colin did it every day for twenty years.”

“Well, yes,” George grudged his agreement. “It wasn’t refined as it is now. If we skipped a night, we’d have go back to feeding on rats.”

“So, Dad shared his rats with you.” I grinned as George looked away.

George looked back and asked, “Can you think of another blood supply in the subways other than people?”

“Nope,” I grinned. “I’ll get Colin and Alexie. Be right back.” I would also stop off at the café and ask for the two bland chicken breasts for Yuri and Zoya at sundown tomorrow evening. I thought about warning Yuri and Zoya about eating and what would happen, but no one ever listened when we warned them. We just make sure two bathrooms were close by when their systems woke up and worked again. This was their complex and should know where the bathrooms were here. I was like George and would tell them before they ate, but like I said no one ever listened to that.

I found Colin and told him and then went toward the café and found Alexie. In the café, making sure I had and could use the translator, I told them what we needed at sundown the next evening.

I was again a little jealous. I used the analogy of comparing the smell and taste of blood with the smell and taste of a well-cooked steak. That was the venom’s way of encouraging me to consume blood for its own need. The taste and smell of the well-cooked steak was still in my head having had one recently. The vampires that got the chicken after decades or centuries, those neuropathways suddenly were being used again and that almost forgotten smell and flavor was so intense! So, I was told. The brain didn’t really forget, but the reminder was apparently euphoric! I wouldn’t mind that. Colin swears he can now taste and smell food better than before. What could I say? He maybe could. I don’t know.

I came back into the lab area where Yuri and Zoya were up and talking with Alexie and Colin.

“…some money from when I was prince.” Yuri shrugged. “From my treasury I financed upgrades for the poultry processing plant, upgrading equipment, improved grain for feed, and modernizing how it functions. My best investment was the new power plant.” He smiled. “I get a portion of what is paid for the people to have the power on.”

“And for the chicken in the stew pot?” I asked.

Yuri nodded, “That’s right. There are some other improvements I financed that I now get a portion from.”

“Are you following the stock exchange?” Colin asked.

“Not much,” Yuri admitted. “My hours make it difficult.”

“Commodities are commodities,” Colin shrugged. “I can teach you how choose stocks and I have programs I’ll give you to use to pick which stocks will head in the right direction. Are you the one to choose these stocks?”

Yuri chuckled, “The truth is, I have a whole department that oversees the finances of the complex. I, of course, oversee the department. I see all of what they do before they do anything.”

“Wise,” Colin nodded. “This whole thing costs money! I’d be glad to show them and you how to invest in slower, but steady growing investments…”

“Which you will have time to do later,” I added.

“I can hardly believe it!” Alexie waved at Yuri and Zoya. “You look practically Human!” He looked at George and I. “I mean more Human than I’ve ever seen them.”

“And this was just night one!” George said happily. “Wait until tomorrow. After night three we can all see the sunrise!”

“Really?” Alexie marveled. “Wow.”

“We met Misha,” I bounced.

Zoya smiled fondly, “She’s a little…” she thought of a word she knew but seldom used, “dynamo?” She said as a question to be sure she used the correct word.

“That’s right!” I nodded happily. “That little beagle adores us.”

Yuri laughed, “Her parents are our top hunters. The scent of a vampire attracts them.” Yuri nodded. “Misha is learning.”

“And doing very well!” George said.

“Are there more?” Colin asked. “We could use some on our teams.”

“Sure,” Yuri answered. “It’s the beginning of Summer. Breeding season just passed. Most of the new dogs were born already. We have one that’s to give birth any moment now.”

“Is she a beagle, too?” I asked and I admit, hoped it was.

George thumbed at Colin, “He would prefer a bigger dog.”

“She’s a Rottweiler.” Yuri said and shrugged. “Her nose has been very effective. Her puppies won’t be a pure breed. The father was also a good hunter with a proven nose. He’s a German Shepherd.”

“Those breeds are very territorial.” I commented.

“And very good at following commands,” Yuri pointed out. “They are also very loving with people they know.”

“They know you,” Colin stated.

“They adore Yuri,” Zoya smiled fondly. “He made sure all of them knew him from the first day!”

“That makes perfect sense,” I nodded. “They know you and even if you are a scent source, they love and obey you.”

Yuri nodded, “That’s right. Pusik is a very loving dog. I tell her you are a friend, and she will love you.” He looked at me. “Does your talent work on dogs?”

I shrugged, “I never tried before.”

“We will buy a few, if you let us.” Colin offered.

Yuri’s eyes widened and shook his head, “Absolutely not!” He said seriously and determined and then he smiled. “To walk outside in the daytime, to eat a good meal…” He smiled wider. “I’ll give you the whole damned litter!”

“Those are valuable service animals,” Colin said to let Yuri know he understood.

“You have teams that can’t sense vampires, right?” Yuri asked. “We did, too.”

“There are vampires that can’t sense other vampires that well,” I raised my hand. “I’m one of them. I can smell them up close, but Gabriella, Alex, and Ellis do it far better than any dog.”

“You will be if you take a couple,” Zoya smiled. “Pusik had eight pups in her previous litter.”

“Three for the United States, three for England, and two for Romania!” I happily said.

“Why is Romania only getting two?” George asked puzzled.

“That’s what was left!” I said logically. “We need to find handlers who are willing. Those numbers can shift.”

“About a pervious litter,” George qualified. “We don’t know about this litter.”

Yuri held that finger up. Everyone seems to know about that gesture and use it easily. “There will be strict training needed.”

“Dogs need training.” George agreed.

“Not the dogs,” Yuri chuckled. “The Humans, be they vampire or regular Human!”

“Oh,” George laughed back.

Yuri sighed, “We’re doing this again. The serum and pain.” It was a statement, not a question again.

“Yep,” I nodded. “No turning back now!”

Zoya moved uncomfortably, “I never sweated when a vampire. I did last night. Can we shower? And change clothes?”

“Sure!” George nodded. “You’ll be able to cry again, too.”

 

As they were getting ready for another night, I asked George some more questions when we had privacy.

“A female vampire,” I began and internally chuckled as George’s eyebrows rose again. “Does she go through a kind of menopause?”

Now George did the other expression everyone knows and rolled his eyes. “This again!?”

“Inquiring minds want to know!” I shot back. “I have an inquiring mind and I want to know. Science class taught in the past I learned most females are born with one to two million eggs. Over the years they begin to die off. The average woman will release five hundred eggs during her life.” I folded my arms over my chest as I relaxed. “Colin got the venom, and the venom froze his stomach in an enlarged state making him extremely hungry at times. Does the venom in a female vampire freeze those eggs? Her life is so much longer. Does she even have a monthly period? Over the centuries even that supply would be depleted…”

George grinned at me and gave me a mischievous look, “You now have time to get your degree in Psychology, Psychiatry, Neurology, or the Science of Human Reproduction! I suggest you get busy.”

I wasn’t bothered by this. “I might,” I conceded. “I can guarantee they won’t cover Human Vampire Reproduction at even the loftiest medical schools in the world.” I shrugged. “I thought you already knew.”

“Okay,” George said tired. “The female body as I know it, will be frozen and she no longer menstruates when a vampire. The venom will not allow changes in the body except what it changes to make them a vampire. It certainly wouldn’t allow blood to be released to purge the unused egg.”

“So, in the movie with Wesley Snipes…the movie Blade? Where his very pregnant mother was bitten and passed the bite, or venom to her baby; making Blade a Daywalker but had the thirst for blood. He had to undergo medical treatment to keep from becoming a blood-consumer.”

George shook his head, “Colin is right. When did you have time to watch all these shows and movies?”

“Why didn’t you make time?” I countered.

“I was busy!” George said in a loud voice. “The placenta will filter out many things! A baby born of an HIV positive woman will have the antibodies, but not necessarily HIV. I’ve never examined a venom positive woman who was pregnant to find out.”

“Okay,” I began pacing in a circular manner as I thought out loud. “I’m just giving my thoughts a voice.” I said to George. “You are the authority on the science of what I’m going to say, so feel free to tell me if I’m wrong.” I smiled. “A woman is born with her eggs already formed. Her half of the DNA needed to create a Human is already there. Immature, but there…her DNA would remain unchanged,” I looked at George, “theoretically. The venom works to change a female vampire’s DNA to make her body to make her create more venom. Does it change the DNA in the eggs? It does with the DNA in her body. A male Human or vampire makes his tadpoles all his life. A man can sire a new life at an early age and can do it into his eighties and nineties…” I watched George nod. “A lesser number of tadpoles maybe, but possible. His ejaculate has the venom, but his half of the DNA needed is made through the years; new and contains DNA manufactured with the vampire DNA in his half. Right?” I asked and watched George give a grudging nod. “Yet, you came up with this serum to give to vampires that causes body functions to come back to life, like digesting food, blood circulation by getting the heart to beat again, but doesn’t restore a female vampire’s reproductive cycle.”

George gave a longer, soft, and hesitant, “Yeeess.” He didn’t know where I was going.

“As a woman’s body is equipped to gestate an egg, giving the hormones and nutrients to make a Human birth possible…” I said further. “I understand that the venom wouldn’t allow a new addition to the body…certainly not new Human Being. The environment in a female vampire’s body will not be conducive to creating a new little person and not allow conception to take place.” I raised my finger to indicate I had a pivotal point, “One of Gaius’ tadpoles fertilized one of Nicolae’s mother’s eggs and she had a conducive environment to gestate a Human life and give birth to a Human/vampire hybrid. The hybrid that has venom but creates antivenom and antibodies that keep him from becoming any kind of vampire. I mean…” I waved my hands at the mystery, “he is partly a vampire, but he has a natural serum that keeps the venom from working.”

George nodded again, “That follows.”

“A female vampire on the serum…could she carry an embryo to term?” I grudged a nod. “Her body functions have returned and even if her menstrual cycle has not returned…her eggs could be harvested. The venom keeps things from changing, so the eggs should be there untouched and preserved. In vitro fertilization might be needed, but it should be possible. Right?” I saw George shrug again which just made me laugh lightly. “I don’t know about Alex and Gabriella might have the most trouble. The vampire DNA does not really sponsor growth, but say Chuck becomes serious with Amanda, an egg harvested from Amanda, fertilized by Chuck, and reinserted into Amanda…could she carry a baby to term if she stays on the serum? Will the serum adversely affect the baby?”

I don’t know.” George almost whined. “Vampire anatomy and biology isn’t really covered by any universities such as Harvard Medical, nor is a discipline at Johns Hopkins or the Mayo Clinic! I worked on the venom and what it did to the Human body, but not Human Reproduction. Certainly not Vampire Reproduction!” He tapped me on the chest. “You need to find out! I’m busy! And even if we could John and I, Colin and you can’t have a child together…not without a donated egg with the genetic material from the donor.”

“Are you sure?” I grinned. “I have half the DNA needed for a new Human Being, Colin contains half; put the two halves together and you have a Human Being that is half me and half Colin.”

“The egg is needed!”

“So, get rid of the unwanted donor half of the DNA and insert my x chromosome or Colin’s, add the other y chromosome and poof! A new Human that half me and half Colin!” I said logically. “Cloning! That would be hard as the venom won’t allow growth.” I raised the finger again, “BUT, a semi-normal fertilization and gestation is possible!”

George grabbed my shoulders and held me out a bit, “You need to get your advanced degrees. Get your Ph.D.’s and Medical Doctorates and I will bow to your authority in this matter.” He smiled. “You can talk it over with MI5’s Dr. Hathaway, Wayne’s granddaughter Kathy, and even Romania’s Dr. Petran. Not to mention, Kevin or Dr. Canaday in Manhattan!”

I nodded, “And after I get those degrees, Dr. Canaday, Hathaway, and Petran will be dead from old age! I might be even dealing with Wayne’s youngest granddaughter’s grandchildren!”

George sighed sadly, “I know. It’s a sad fact.” He grinned, “Or I may have cured us and we will all be dead from old age!” He said happily.

I smirked, “You have to be the only person that got excited about dying of old age!”

“At that moment, surrounded by your own children and grandchildren,” George said. “They will be your eternity. You are smart and I know you will solve these problems just as I hope to.”

“Am I interrupting?” Colin asked coming into the lab area. He wasn’t jealous, not about us becoming too intimate.

“Yes,” George and I said at the same time.

“I think we’re done,” I said to Colin.

“We were discussing you and Devon’s grandchildren!” George stated flatly making Colin’s eyes to widen. “Devon just needs to figure out how to do that!”

“Oh,” Colin said very confused. “Devon’s and my grandchildren. As in they would be both and the same?”

“Yep!” I answered pulling Colin in for a kiss. “Imagine a child with your gorgeous green eyes and a blending of our devastatingly good looks!”

That made him frown trying to think of it, “Okay.” He looked at me and then George. “Can you do that?”

“Not yet,” George said. “But Devon might in a few years.”

“A combination of your red hair, George, and John’s thinner frame?” I offered.

“Why not?” George asked with a shrug.

“I was a terror as a child,” I chuckled. “Were you, Colin?”

“Of course not!” Colin said quickly. “I was a joy.” He said in a tone that told us he was otherwise. “Gabby sure was! She must have gotten it from her mother.”

I nodded, “She must have.” I hugged Colin.

 

When Yuri and Zoya returned having bathed and changed clothes, it wasn’t as if it were something they were looking forward to.

“I will say this,” I told them. “Yesterday, you feared the unknown. Now, you know what to expect and you maybe in a better condition to handle the pain. I did.” I touched George’s arm. “George and Colin did it every day for decades.”

“Still,” Yuri said lightly.

“How about this?” Colin asked. “When you wake up, you will have the most delicious meal…ever!”

Zoya’s eyes widened, “Really? What is it?”

“We won’t tell you,” I grinned. “None you had before or even after this one will compare. You’ll have good meals afterwards, but none like this one coming up. I promise.”

We took their pulses as one always does to a patient. I noted that the pulse was slowing down. The venom and the serum were at war. The venom was determined to make them vampires again and the serum was determined not to let that happen again. Keeping the serum at peak levels assured that the venom would lose for now. The disks inserted insured that the serum blood levels would remain at the peak functioning level for a month. Neither George nor I were territorial, but I handled Zoya the night before and George handled Yuri, so we switched. Yuri and Zoya wore short sleeved shirts this time so accessing their arms was easy.

I looked at Yuri just before I inserted the needle. “I’m sorry for the pain.”

Yuri nodded, “I know. It’s written on your face. Thank you.”

“Thank us after you get the disks,” George smiled tightly. He nodded to me, “Let’s begin.”

I inserted the needle, and it didn’t take long for the serum to again reach the heart and cause agony again. I remembered when I got the whole thing started over in me. It hurt, but I knew it would and I was ready for it the second time. They were ready, too.

George and I both didn’t need to stay with them that night. Instead, he took the first watch, and I took the last watch.

 

Bankers’ hours. The nine to five weekdays, Monday through Friday, no weekends, and no holidays to work. You were the envy if you got a job that did that. Colin and I worked vampire hours right now. Sundown to sunrise every day seven days a week. You know that is the hours a vampire functions. For now, so did we. While we were not functioning vampires, we worked with many who were vampires. For that reason, Colin and I were awake and lived during those hours. We ate, showered, and changed during those hours.

I was worried at first about using up the hot water. Even if Colin and I conserved the water by sharing the shower, it made me worry about depleting the hot water. Shame on me. In England and many countries in Europe they didn’t use hot water tanks. I know! Who could imagine that!? Our quarters had it’s own bathroom and we had a tiny tub if you wanted a bath, but most people took showers because they were quick and easy. We had an on-demand boiler, and the hot water was endless! When space is a premium, the on-demand boiler just made sense. They were very popular in England. And very popular in this part of Russia!

Odors. Our lives were filled with odors both pleasant and unpleasant. Human Beings did so much to minimize those unpleasant odors. Deodorants, perfumes, colognes, mouthwashes, toothpaste, air fresheners, laundry detergents…Hell, I even saw a commercial for a supplement you could take to make your farts, and when you went to the bathroom…as in shit…it made that smell pleasant! Shit stinks! Not when taking this supplement. This beautiful woman talked about her shit didn’t stink! What!? We make our armpits, breath, and bodies smell pleasant. Not just to attract people, but so we didn’t repulse other people. That created another problem. Yes, it did. One odor from your armpits, one on your body from perfumes or cologne, one from the soap you bathed with, another from the clean clothes you wore…all combining and giving off odors and conflicting. Some perfumes and colognes were so strong! No unpleasant odors would survive. The solution was the unscented products where the unpleasant odors didn’t come off and you smell nothing. That was the goal, but often there was an odor. Colin and I used a product where everything had the same odor! Soap, shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, body wash…all had the same scent. It was light and was nice. My nose could only smell it after we first put it on. Ellis, who had that keen nose smelled it all the time. His brain didn’t get tired of picking it up. Even our clothes scented! Or rather de-scented. I detected a slight smell of detergent that told my mind they were clean. That’s it. Yes, I petted that rabbit. They weren’t all an annoyance.

I sat watching Colin after I finished my nightly routine, and he was finishing up his. He walked back in the room from the bathroom and froze as he saw me staring at him. He pulled the light green turtleneck shirt over his head. We’d both done it to the other at times, so he wasn’t bothered. He smiled at me.

“What are you thinking about?” He grinned and resumed he approach to the bed and sat by me.

“How beautiful you are,” I said simply. “Not just your physical beauty, that’s damned good. I mean the person. You.”

He turned red at the compliment. “I’m glad you think so.”

“I know so,” I insisted. “You give to everybody. You are so generous. Kind and yep, damned good looking.”

Colin laughed at that. “Thank you. For the courtesies, I work to maintain. The physical I got from my parents.”

“What do you think about our having a child?” I asked and watched his eyes grow at the subject drawn seemingly from nowhere.

“I have never imagined that would be possible!”

“I can explain the science, but it is possible.” I assured.

Colin nodded quickly and pressed his forehead against mine, “And I know it will be sound. I have no doubt about that, but up until a decade or two ago, I never considered it.” He looked at me seriously. “How are you going to test it out?”

I sighed sadly, “That’s issue. Animal testing wouldn’t work. The venom doesn’t work on any other animal but Human Beings. The only possibility is for someone to try it.” I shrugged and held a cautious hand up. “I’m not rushing anyone down the aisle…”

“Since when!?” Colin blurted incredulously. “You rush everyone down the aisle!!”

My eyes widened as my head withdrew an inch or two, “I do not!!”

Colin smiled and held a hand up as he tracked on his fingers, “Mom and Willie, Wayne and Amasis, Stan and Mark…”

“No,” I shook my head. “All I was guilty of was pointing the inevitability in some cases! And that’s not what we’re talking about!”

Colin nodded, but the grin told me he knew better, “Oh, I see. Silly me.” He bumped his palm against his forehead and then looked at me. “What were we talking about?”

If Amanda and Chuck want a child…if they agree…an egg can be taken from Amanda, one of Chuck’s tadpoles…” I explained.

“His what!?”

I sighed becoming tired of explaining, “Sperm looks like tadpoles, okay?” I clarified for him. “Each tadpole contains either the x or y needed to make a girl or a boy.”

“How do we tell the difference? As I understand it, a y and y can’t combine, can they?”

“Centrifuge!” I said simply. “The x is heavier than the y. The x should be at the bottom while the y is on the top.” I went on. “If conception takes place and we put the embryo back into Amanda…she remains on the serum and if she carries the baby to term…” I looked at Colin, “It will be a real baby. No experimentation, but the real child of Amanda and Chuck! Success or fail will be real.”

“Oh,” Colin nodded. “I understand, but that wouldn’t work with a child that is a combination of us.”

I chuckled, “No, that’s a bit more complicated. Combining my half of the DNA with your half could happen, but how the child is carried to term is also more involved. We will need an egg, eliminate the donor’s DNA and a woman to carry it.”

Colin frowned, “It sounds a lot like Mary Shelly’s Frankenstein!”

I nodded, “Which I say is scientifically implausible.” I pointed out. “Even if we could combine parts of other bodies, you have rejection to overcome, different lungs, hearts, skin you risk rejection. Sewing the nerve connections…will the body work properly? Even cloning problems…the venom is still in both of us keeping our bodies as it was when we were bitten and transformed into a vampire. We don’t age or get sick, but nothing further is allowed except with the serum. That only works partly. Our body temperatures, digestion is not at normal standards.”

Colin’s eyebrows came together, “But you think we could do this? Should we do this?”

I shrugged, “We have time to think about it.” I touched his chest that the shirt covered. “That’s a great color on you.” I touched the side of his head. “It brings out the color of those gorgeous eyes you have.”

Colin smiled warmly. “I do it just for you.”

I kissed him gently, “Thank you.”

Our bodies merged again. Our odors would combine, Ellis would know. Maybe Gabriella or Alex, too. Who cares? We made love.

 

We came out and went to find others that were up. The café was open as the whole complex operated on a twenty-four-hour schedule. No one was there at the moment that we knew. Until…

“Hey!” We heard as Colin and I got our coffees. He got his hot coffee, and I got my cold latte. Turning at the hail, we saw Mark head over to us quickly. “Just the men I wanted to see.”

“Hi, Mark!” I greeted.

“Where’s your other half?” Colin asked.

Mark waved that idea away, “Aw, he’s trying to get Buddy and Priyatel to play nicely.” He grumbled.

“I wouldn’t think that would be a problem,” I said. “Buddy speaks Russian fluently.”

“Yeah,” Mark nodded. “He wants a command entered into Buddy to be carried out by Priyatel to be carried out with no translation needed.” He did a wavering shrug, “I don’t know. He’s working out the kinks.” Then he brightened. “I was told you were starting a Canine Vampire Squad!”

I grinned, but Colin’s eyebrows rose in surprise.

“We only talked about a few hours ago!” Colin said in surprise. “How’d you hear about it?”

Mark wasn’t bothered in the least, “I didn’t think it was classified. George told John and John told me!” He smiled. “So, are we?” He asked a little excited.

“The puppies aren’t even born yet!” Colin stated. “We were told it could be any moment now.”

“Can I get in on that?” Mark asked. “If the puppies are born soon, I should be there if I’m allowed to handle one.”

“Why?” Colin asked.

“I love dogs!” Mark claimed. “Dad and mom let my brother and I have dogs all our lives! This is a crucial moment in a puppy’s life.”

“The birth will happen very soon, but they won’t be ready to train.” Colin grinned. “They won’t even have their eyes open for a week after they birth.”

Mark nodded, “Yes, but they can smell, hear, and appreciate a loving touch. They can smell their mother and enjoy the comforting licks and assurance from her. My touching and cuddling of them so soon after birth will cause me to be imprinted on them. They will have my scent and know my loving touch as Alpha. All before they ever see me.”

“How do you know so much about dogs?” I asked.

Mark sat up a little proud, “I trained dogs! I trained some dogs to be taken and trained as service animals, be it guides for the blind or even for the deaf.”

“Service dogs for the deaf?” I asked but loving the expression in Mark’s face. “I never heard of one of those.”

Mark nodded, “To hear everything from the doorbell, a knock on the door, someone walking through the yard, the phone ringing…”

“I thought deaf people had equipment to deal with that, lights that blink on and off when the doorbell rings,” Colin said to learn more.

“They do,” Mark nodded, “when they are at home! If visiting a friend who steps away or even in a hotel room, the service animal is needed. Dogs that can sense seizures when an epileptic episode is about to occur…” Mark waved at the growing list, “There are all these cases where a good dog will be the most important thing in peoples’ lives!!” He beat lightly on his chest. “I did it for the 4H Club, teaching puppies to take and obey a Human’s commands. The individual training for whatever condition came later.”

“The 4H Club?” I marveled. “Are they still around? I never heard about them in South Carolina.”

“They are very big with improving the community,” Mark explained. “They do it by putting kids to work letting them learn by doing the job!” He shook his head and even as he smiled, he felt some pain. “That was the hardest thing I ever did. I raised those puppies until the were six months old and gave them away.” He even sniffed a little. “I just had to remember they were going to be doing something very important and someone else would love them as much as I did.” Then he looked fiercely at us, “But not this time! I get first pick of the litter and I never have to give it away!”

“Sure,” Colin chuckled. “I assume Stan’s okay with this.”

Mark’s eyes widened, “He never asked if I was okay with Buddy!” He nodded, “Yes, he’s been asking about getting a pet.” Mark grinned. “Here it is!”

Colin laughed at the little boy in a man’s body who was excited about getting a dog. “You’ll have to ask where they keep them. We’ve only met Misha, a very happy beagle. Happy and very entertaining.”

He pointed at us, “You need to be there, too. Not as a handler, but for them to get to know you. You’ll be there a lot. I need to be there as…” he looked puzzled, “What was the mother’s name again?”

“Pusik,” I answered.

“No Russian name for my dog,” Mark grumbled and then brightened again. “The birth will be a key moment for Pusik. She will be at her most vulnerable and I need to prove myself to her to let me handle her babies. She will be very protective, but if she learns to trust me…that will be a big hurdle.” He shoved me lightly. “With your mojo, she will trust you quickly.”

“The mother’s a Rottweiler,” Colin warned. “The father is a German Shepherd.”

Mark nodded again, “There are no bad dogs, just bad owners. I guarantee there will be a litter of good dogs.”

I laughed again, “You may mention this to the others. Chuck, Amir, Shelly, Russell, Matt, Edwin…mostly the ones that can’t track. The puppies will be pets, yes and loved, but they have jobs, and it will take a commitment.”

Mark jumped up, grabbed my head and kissed me on the temple, then grabbed Colin and did the same to Colin. “Absolutely! Thanks guys!” He said and raced out of the café.

I laughed harder at Mark’s retreating. “I envy him.”

“Why?” Colin smiled back.

I pointed at the door Mark had gone through. “There goes a man that, in spite of life’s traumas and his job, he’s kept the kid inside from growing up! I’m happy for him.”

 

I relieved George at the correct time and watched as Yuri and Zoya continued to suffer. It hurt me again, but I knew why and so did they. They knew it was worth it to end the nightmare. I could only relate to the nightmare a tiny bit. Except for those few days, I never knew the nightmare. It didn’t last long for me. For decades and centuries, my dear friends woke each evening to the same horror. It wasn’t like having a job you hated where you dreaded to go to for work. But you had options. Days off, sick days, vacations or even just not go in! You may not feel that was possible, but it was there. For a vampire, there were no days off, no sick days, no vacations. The venom demanded blood every single day! It made sure you were healthy, if you considered wandering around only at night seeking blood and usually surrounded by death healthy. Preferably Human blood, but it could be anything with blood…even Willie’s rats! No one mourned a rat’s death, but it was still a death. You had to kill them over and over every night with no day off. That was true slavery. To say no meant your own death. You could cut out all this by staying out in the sun, but even having seen Brett Marshall die that way was horrible. Shooting yourself seemed quicker, but we weren’t killers unless there was no other choice. Amasis’ last wife Nabia’s suicide was unknown, so…

The pain didn’t last most of the night, but the hour so less? Who cared? Their pulses were stronger and more…normal. They again went to sleep after their waking hours of pain.

George came in near sunrise. “How did they do?”

“Fine.” I answered. “Nothing abnormal.” I laughed, “Nothing abnormal for vampires now on the serum and gaining a modicum of a normal Human life.”

“It’s the price we pay,” George shrugged.

“Willingly,” I added. “When they wake again, they eat.”

 

After the sun rose, George and I returned to our family both Vampire and Human. I know, we were all Human, but those of us with the venom were separate.

I spotted John working on the sun and serum gun. It still looked like a children’s toy and that was reason. Having it pointed at anyone, they may fear getting wet, but wouldn’t. For a vampire, it was a way of defending and causing them pain if they didn’t back away. The one he worked on was a bright, festive red! It was a toy! A useful toy against vampires not on the serum.

“What improvements are you adding, John?” I asked as I neared the table he worked from.

John sighed, “A better delivery system, better infrared lighting that will intensify the ultraviolet ray,” he shrugged. “I don’t know until I do it.”

“There’s an axiom,” George smiled. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

John sat back with a grin, “Here’s another one.” He pointed and waved a screwdriver and said, “There’s always room for improvement.”

I chuckled. “You’re both right!”

“Good morning!” We heard and turned to see Lucian enter the room with Russell Chadwick right behind him. Security. Lucian looked so much better now that he was on the serum, and he looked…happy?

“Is it morning?” I chuckled. “I’ve been up for what seems like all day.”

“Working my former hours,” Lucian grinned. He turned slightly to look at Russell right behind him. “I’m not going to do anything wrong, but if you keep this up, I will start a rumor about us.”

Russell shook his head, “Go ahead, I don’t mind. If you think we’ll just trust you, think again. I know what you did.”

Lucian sighed, “Most of which was Iilya, but I understand.”

“What are you wanting?” Colin asked.

“Something to do!” Lucian said loud holding his arms out helplessly. “There are just so many books I can read and even if I consent to watching television, I can only understand so much in Russian!”

“They have connections with networks around the world!” I grinned at him. “I’m sure we can even get some channels from Romania.”

Lucian’s lip curled, “Have you seen Romanian Television!?” He asked pointedly. “I want something to do!”

“How are you with dogs?” I asked.

Lucian’s eyes widened. “Dogs.” He repeated to sure that’s what I said.

“Yes, dogs,” I repeated. “Bark, tails wagging and love to lick! Sometimes drool and they bite, but not these. They’re too young.”

Colin looked at me surprised and whispered, “Do you want him to be involved with something so potentially dangerous?”

“With Mark in charge?” I smiled. “It will give Lucian something to do.” I stood up straighter. “In fact, we can go now.” I took Colin’s hand. “Let’s go.”

“What about breakfast?” Colin asked in a near whine.

“Are you feeling faint?” I asked. “When did you eat anything last?”

“I ate something two hours ago.”

“Then we have time,” I headed toward the door. In the hall I stopped, “Did you see where they would be on that map?”

“No,” Colin answered. “I saw corridors and rooms, but nothing about dogs.”

I stopped a man in the corridor, “Where are they keeping those wonderful dogs?” Again, the translator said the same thing in Russian.

We were given the directions and we used the tram to go to an area near the cave where they kept the cars and trucks. Animals smelled. It wasn’t their fault, but they did. Feces, urine, and feed…it wasn’t too bad, but it was what it was. They were dogs! We could hear the barks, whines, and other dog noises. Entering the kennel area, I was pleased. It was nice. This was inside a cavern, but they had constructed these bays. Cinder bricks and painted there were wide bays along the walls that gave each dog a nice sized bay. Water and food were in bowls but held in wire things that kept them off the ground. The dogs wouldn’t step in them and knock them over. The dogs were not forced in an uncomfortable position to eat or drink. The bays were filled with dry straw for them to sleep on. There were about a dozen dogs of several breeds from German Shepherd, Rottweiler, Labrador, and Beagle. The beagle we knew, and she knew us! Standing up with her front legs on the bars that kept her secure in a bay, Misha was greeting us with a happy bark and a tail that disappeared from the speed it went in the wag. The other dogs were barking as we arrived, but I knew it was because all four of us were vampires and that scent was what they were trained to track. None were hostile, but they knew what we were.

Lucian wasn’t prepared for this and stepped back a little. Russell wasn’t prepared either, but didn’t retreat.

“Relax,” Colin said to them with a smile. “We are what they are trained to seek.”

I grudged a nod, “Well, not exactly. They seek vampires not on the serum, but we are vampires.” I shrugged, “So…”

“That’s only partly true,” Valentina said coming up behind us.

“Hello,” I greeted her. “Guys, this is the handler for Misha.” I waved down at the beagle. “This is Misha.” I looked at Valentina, “Valentina, this is Russell and Lucian.”

What can I say? A man is a man. Mostly. Russell was a nice-looking man in his mid-thirties. He had the military look even if that was in the past now. His hair was still short, but not a buzz-cut. He had been healthy when he was bitten and had well formed muscles under his clothes. The desert brown camouflage pants he wore, and t-shirt said it all. You just knew he should be carrying a gun of some kind. A rifle should be in his arms. Valentia was a pretty young woman in her middle to late twenties.

Russell shook her hand and gave a charming smile, “Friends call me Russ.”

Was he even conscious of the fact that he was putting the moves on Valentia? Then again, she was putting the moves on Russell coyishly. Vampire or Human, language barrier, and cultural differences…it was all the same. Boy meets girl. Typical. Except for Colin, Lucian, and I. Did I behave that way with a handsome guy? I didn’t notice if Colin did and I hadn’t known Lucian long enough. Again, who cares?

“Misha responds to kindness, and she adores these two,” Valentina waved at Colin and I as she opened the bay door. Misha rushed over to Colin and I, sniffed at Lucian’s and Russell’s feet, but hurried back to Colin and I.

I reached down and picked Misha up receiving the happy licks of greeting. “Good morning, Misha.” She was, and I’m guessing, four months old. Still a lot of puppy in her. I grinned at Valentina, “Can you direct us to the doggy maternity ward?”

The translators were good at translating words from English to Russian. Even those cutesy words were use in common conversation.

Valentina laughed having gotten used to how the translators worked, “Pusik is in that room over there.” She pointed to a closed door. “Your friend insisted she be separated from the others.” She grinned. “Anton, our veterinarian finally gave up and surrendered Pusik’s care to Mark. He will come back when the birthing starts. Until then, he left it to Mark. Stan is in there with Mark, but…” she chuckled, “don’t knock and enter quietly.” She cautioned.

I looked at Colin whose eyebrows rose, “I had no idea Mark was such an expert in veterinarian science.”

I shook my head, “The situation never came up before.” I kissed Misha on the head and put her down on the floor. “You…” I pointed at her, “have a good day at school. Behave yourself and we’ll see you later.” I looked at the many dogs here. “I thought there’d be more dogs.” I said to Valentina.

“Oh,” Valentina began. “There are more. Most are with their handlers where they live with their families. All of these have shown good abilities to track. Some just need a refresher.” She bent down and hooked a leash to Misha. “Or like Misha, is in training. Others are in other towns to search the areas there.” She waved around the whole complex. “These will also patrol the mines around here. Many aren’t connected with these corridors. Vampires move in the caves and add new victims, so it’s an ongoing process.”

“Sure,” Colin nodded and looked at Lucian. “Can you track a vampire?”

Lucian grudgingly shook his head, “I can only tell if he or she is right front of me.”

“With one of these dogs…” I began.

“If Mark approves it,” Colin added.

I nudged Colin lightly in the gut, “You will!”

Colin reached down and rubbed Misha on the head running his fingers taking an ear and caressing it gently. “We’ll see each other later, Long Ears.”

 

The door to the room had a printed sign written in English and Russian. “No Knocking. Enter Quietly and No Loud Noises.”

Colin opened the door slowly and quietly. There was the sound of quiet, calming, and relaxing music that played softly.

Stan was seated behind Mark who was stroking a large black dog softly as he spoke to her in an almost whisper. She laid on a large blanket.

“Calm,” Mark said to the dog who was very apparently still pregnant. No translator was used. Just the quiet tone from Mark and it seemed to be working. “You’re a good girl. Yes, you are. It will be fine.” He assured the dog.

Stan grinned and raised a finger to his lips telling us to be quiet. “He’s been at this all night!” He reported in a loud whisper.

“No sudden moves,” Mark ordered in a loud whisper of his own. “She’s finally quit fidgeting to get into a comfortable position. She’s relaxed and any moment now, she’ll start.” He glanced back at us. “So, keep it down.”

“We are keeping it down!” Russell stated in a loud whisper.

The lights were low, and the room was warm. Not hot or stuffy, just warm. Mark continued to stroke Pusik gently all while giving the dog assurances in a calm voice.

“I had no idea they had Lamaze for dogs,” I whispered.

Mark shrugged, “According to Mom, who reminded my brother and I nearly every week, have children was the hardest thing she ever did.” He smiled, “Mostly after Marvin did something he shouldn’t have.”

“That was never you, right?” Colin asked.

Mark shook his head, “No, never.”

“We could take him in a game of poker,” I said to Colin. “He doesn’t lie or bluff well.”

“He’s cagey,” Colin snickered. “It could all be a setup to fool us.”

Mark turned and hissed quietly at us, “What do you want? Pusik is going to be in labor, if she isn’t now. A calm environment is needed to ease into the process.”

“We were asked by Lucian to give him something to do.” Colin answered pulling Lucian forward. “We want you to observe and tell us if that’s a good idea.”

“Oh, no,” Mark shook his head. “I won’t be the judge.” His hand went over the swell that was moving on it’s own from what was on the inside. “These innocent souls will tell whether they trust or don’t.”

“You’ll be able to tell,” I suggested.

“That will be easy to tell,” Mark stated. “Now, if you’re going to stay; sit and be quiet. Otherwise…”

Colin grinned, “This a side of you we’ve never seen. I like it.”

“Go or stay,” Mark urged. “She’s relaxed and I intend for her to stay that way. Decide.”

Stan looked us and shrugged. “I’m staying.” Then he qualified. “For now.”

“We’ll check back later,” I said pulling Colin back toward the door and left as quietly as we entered.

 

“So, what are you expecting me to do?” Lucian asked as we headed back to the main complex.

“Have you never had a dog or cat?” I asked him.

“No,” Lucian told us sadly. “Before when I was Human, I wasn’t allowed. Then when I was bitten, no dog or cat wanted to be near me.” He shrugged.

I was picking up on some things he wasn’t saying, “Your father wouldn’t allow you. Why not?”

Lucian didn’t answer.

“You never speak of your mother,” I ventured.

“She died while I was young,” Lucian admitted. “My father blamed me I think.” His head wavered, “But that was so long ago.”

“That doesn’t matter,” I told him. “You were responsible for your mother’s death?”

“No,” Lucian answered. “I was three when she died. It didn’t matter, I was blamed.”

“That makes no sense,” I stated. “Grief often distorts the thought processes. The blame can’t be placed on a three-year-old. You know that, but you still feel the pain like it is fresh.” I smiled at him. “What I would hope is you greet this new little life, bond with it, let this new life bond with you. You will be responsible for where it sleeps, eats, stays clean, and together you will teach this new life to listen to commands, follow commands, and become your best friend.” It occurred to me he may not want to, “If you want to.”

“Responsible for a life?” Lucian said a bit warily. The aspect seemed a little scary to him.

I touched his arm, “When they are born, come and take a look. See if it’s something you want to do. We’ll have to find something else for you if you don’t.”

Russell leaned forward and whispered to me. “Are you sure this is a good idea? What if he trains the dog to attack us?”

I nodded, “It’s a great idea.” I whispered back. “A small, helpless life held in your hand? Cute as they can be. Depending on whatever you do? Puppies bring out the best in everyone.” I grinned. “They are the best judges of character. Pusik didn’t get agitated at Lucian’s presence, meaning she trusted him.” I looked at Lucian as we rode back to the main complex. “We can also judge him by the reaction of the puppy. Does it shrink away I fear?” I saw Russell about to say something and interrupted, “Which Lucian won’t even get close to that with the puppy. Mark would never let that get very far…if the puppy trusts him, we might trust Lucian more.” I shrugged and grinned. “No dog is born mean. They learn from their Alpha. We’ll see if Lucian is a good one.”

Russell smiled, “Are you sure you’re not English?” He pointed at me and laughed. “The British love their dogs. That was a very British point of view about dogs.”

“We’re both British,” Colin replied. “A few generations in America, but actually…” he pointed at me, “he’s Scottish.”

“It’s the same island,” Russell smiled.

“We give Lucian a chance,” I suggested. “We’ll see.”

 

Colin, Lucian, Russell, and I went back to the café, where Colin got his breakfast. He again got his substantial portion. The people serving now knew to give him more without being asked. They still couldn’t believe he ate as much as he did, but Colin always finished his plate. The plate they gave him now was a special plate they kept just for him.

We returned to our quarters and got some sleep. It was a few hours before sunset when we showered again, conserved water again, and went out to start our evening. I went back to the café and asked for the chicken I had requested for Yuri and Zoya.

“There is no seasoning,” the man who gave it to me said with a frown. “Not even salt or pepper.”

“Which Yuri and Zoya will appreciate,” I nodded. “They can appreciate flavorings with later meals. Trust me.”

Colin and I went in the lab area where it was still an hour or so before sunset. The venom was not governing them as much time wise. They were waking up.

Yuri was sitting up and rubbed his chest again. The serum had again fought the venom to stop their hearts so that was the area of pain…though, as I remembered, it hurt the most in the chest, but hurt all over as the serum worked.

“Yes,” Yuri moaned groggily. “It hurt again.”

Zoya nodded, “Devon was right.” She smiled at me. “Last night I was ready and knew how it would feel. It didn’t seem as bad.” She sniffed and turned her gaze to the tray with the cover of the plates I was carrying. “What is that? Our first meal?”

I nodded, “Yep.”

Yuri’s lip curled, “Why do I not like the smell?”

George chuckled, “The venom is stubborn. It doesn’t want to release you from it’s grip. It’s sending what you smell to the wrong places hoping you won’t eat.”

“You should be warned,” Colin cautioned. “Your body will remember, but there are parts that will wake up. Do you know where the bathrooms are?”

“Has anyone listened to that?” I asked Colin. “Ever?”

“No,” Colin shook his head. “They can’t say they weren’t warned.”

George touched Yuri’s wrist, “Your pulse is stronger. The neuro pathways in your brains will remember and remind you that food is the thing you should be consuming and trigger your desire to eat more. It will be a very good thing.”

I took the lids off the plates and waved them under their noses and just as George said, you saw the look on their faces as those neuro pathways told them it was good. The chicken even steamed a bit as I waved the smell at them. As before with others, they took the chicken and bit into it and began to eat ravenously.

“Oh,” Zoya said between biting and chewing. “This is so good!”

“Vkusny!” Yuri agreed as he did the same as Zoya.

I didn’t need a translator to know he said delicious. “We told you.”

“And tomorrow,” Colin added. “You’ll see the most breathtakingly beautiful thing you’ll ever see.” He bounced. “The sunrise.”

That caused Yuri and Zoya to pause only for a second and then eat again hungrily.

 

Sure enough, it was as they had eaten two-thirds of each nice-sized chicken breasts they each rushed to where they hadn’t gone to do anymore that urinate ammonia.

“We did warn them,” Colin offered to me.

“That never works,” I replied.

 

It was after George and I had given them the third dose and the pain began again did Stan come in the lab area. He saw Yuri’s and Zoya’s pain and frowned.

“Damn,” Stan commented.

“Yep,” I nodded.

“Yeah,” Stan said and then brightened. “Three girls and a boy!” Then he grinned. “More on the way. All healthy so far. Anton…I can’t remember the last name now; the veterinarian is with them now. Mark won’t leave. The mom is fine. Not done, but fine.”

I frowned, “Oh, I wanted to be there!”

“It’s not over!” Stan said, “But I need to check on Buddy and Priyatel.”

“I can’t…” I whined. Yes, I did. I whined.

“Go!” George said laughing. “There’s nothing unexpected happening here. Go!” He waved a hand at us.

I didn’t need convincing as I grabbed Colin’s hand and was dragging him out of the lab.

In the length of time it took Stan to come to the lab to deliver the news and our getting there, Mark was grinning as we entered where the births were happening.

“Three more!” Mark said happily. “Two more boys and a girl.” He pointed at the dark-haired man holding one in his cupped hands. “He’s got the girl now.” He looked down at Pusik. “Another one coming now!” He picked one of small balls of black fur and held it up to nose it’s nose affectionately. “I can’t name all of them yet, but this one was the second born and the first boy. I’m calling him Hiccup.” He smiled at us. “He was born with the hiccups. He’s the one I want.” And true to his name, Hiccup began to hiccup again. They were each giving those little soft, whining sounds to their mother. Eyes still closed, but they were squirming. Mark handed Hiccup to me.

“Hi, Hiccup!” I said softly. “It’s nice to meet you.” I did the same thing Mark did nosing Hiccup on the nose as he was seeking for something. Milk from his mother was a certainty. I handed Hiccup over to Colin as Mark picked another puppy up.

“This was one was the first born,” Mark nosed her like Hiccup. “I’m calling her Scout. She came out looking for Mom, but knows no fear and was searching the whole bed.” He handed me Scout. He took the next one. “This one…” he looked at Colin, “no offense, she is the most vocal. I was thinking of naming her Gabby for the same reason you call Gabriella Gabby. She never stops making noise with her voice.”

Colin smiled at that, “I’m not offended. I don’t think my Gabby will mind.” He shrugged.

It took a couple of more hours and we ended up with eleven puppies. Poor Pusik.

“All are healthy,” Anton said sighing with a smile. His accented English had more of the Russian sound, but he was comfortable using English.

There was one I saw…it was smaller than the brothers and sisters, just a little more than half the size. I picked him up. I knew there was often a runt, so I wasn’t alarmed. “Hi, Little One.” I nosed his nose and got the soft mewing whine from him.

Anton smiled patiently, “He is the runt, yes, but he’s healthy so far.” He pointed this puppy who fit into my single cupped hand, but I used two to make sure he was safe. “He has some special needs, though.”

“Such as?” Colin asked.

“He needs to be kept warm and hydrated,” Anton explained. “He needs a lot of his mother’s milk to get the antibodies and nutrients she will pass to her puppies. He needs them more than the others.”

“Why is he smaller?” Colin asked.

Anton shrugged, “As you say in English, he was late to the party. Conception in dogs happen many times.” He waved at Pusik. “Eleven times in her case. The one you’re holding now was late for the conception, so he didn’t get the chance to grow like the others. He needs the nutrients from his mother for the strong bones and healthy growth. Not to mention immunities.”

“Can’t you supplement?” I asked concerned.

“Uh, oh,” Colin smiled at me.

“What!?” I asked him. “What’s uh, oh?”

“You’re going to take him,” Colin said simply. “Aren’t you? You’re bonding with him now!”

“You say that like it’s a bad thing!” I growled softly.

“No,” Colin chuckled shaking his head. “It’s a Devon thing. You always adopt the underdog. Gizmo, Iustina, Repetate, Ralph, Wayne when he was Jerry!”

“Underdog?” I smirked. “Was that a kind of pun? He’s a dog. He needs special care. Can’t we give that to him?”

Colin looked at Anton, “Can we?”

“I don’t see why not,” Anton shrugged and grinned. “He needs time with his mother and siblings but will benefit with time from you.” He held up a cautioning hand. “I can make a supplement to give him. He will be better off getting the milk supplement often. Alone. I will wrap Pusik with a clothe that will pick up her scent, which you will wear. He will get her scent and your scent together. Then I will ween her scent from you, so he gets more of your scent. He’ll be comforted and secure thinking you are his mother!”

Colin laughed, “Congratulations! It’s a boy!” He said to me.

“And you will be his Daddy!” I poked Colin on the chest. “I will be giving him milk and comfort, so I’ll be his Mama, but you will be his Daddy! I won’t be able to carry him around all the time.”

Anton laughed at us, “Well, he needs to be with his siblings some. To learn to be a dog!”

“Absolutely!” I nodded. “He spends time with me, then Colin, and with his dog family! That sounds perfect!”

“I’ll get the clothe to put around Pusik,” Anton said happily. “I’ll make up the supplement for…” he pointed at the puppy in my hand, “What are you calling him?”

“I don’t know,” I shrugged. “Baby names are very important. We’ll have to think about it.”

“You have time,” Anton said. “In the meantime, let’s put him back with the others and I’ll get to work.” He slapped us both on the arm. “You’re dog-parents!!”

 

Copyright © 2018 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 18
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..