Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 9,308 Words
  • 746 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Blueblood 5.1: Red Alert!! - 24. Tattle Tale

Oh, the HIGH! I hate writer's block, but I love the feeling when inspired!! The Furies are supposed to be female, but mine is a belching, forehead beer can crushing, hairy, muscle-flexing MAN!! Yeah, I'm aroused. I'm surprised in the direction sometimes! This chapter was one such chapter! See the next direction the VUN takes! I get another high from readers! Help me out. Read!!

Colonel Sledge seemed to be still waiting for another explanation…one that made sense. His mind wasn’t excepting what he was being told but he couldn’t deny what he saw with his own eyes.

Marcia Sledge seemed to gather herself better as what she had been told was absorbing in her mind. She looked at her daughter and seemed to understand a little of the horrible events that had taken her little girl from her. “You’re happy here.” It wasn’t exactly a question. She needed Amanda to say it.

Amanda nodded smiling, “I really am.” She grudged a shrug, “You know I always wanted to do something significant. I chose the medical field to do that.” She waved her hands out at the surrounding building. “Here I feel like I am.”

“You’re a vampire,” her mother said with sad worry.

“Yes,” Amanda nodded and then held her hand out to her mother. “Give me Grammy’s cross.” Amanda looked at Colin and I. “Grammy is my mother’s grandmother. Whenever mom goes anywhere she carries Grammy’s cross.”

Marcia looked uncertain for a second then opened her purse and dug for a gold cross that was not one you would consider jewelry. Three inches at least in length. Solid gold. Marcia hesitantly handed it over. Amanda smiled holding the cross in her hand. “See? It doesn’t burn!” She brought the cross to her lips and kissed it. “I’m not burning or even uncomfortable. I’m not evil and I didn’t become a horrible monster. I was almost killed, but I’m not dead. I’m still me.” She smiled at George. “Thanks to this wonderful man I never will be a monster.”

Colonel Sledge sighed as he was understanding more, “I get it.” His head wavered slightly, “I understand you want to have this man’s child but...”

Amanda smiled, “If I can. As a vampire we can’t have children.” She threw hands out helplessly. “If I don’t do this I may never have a child.”

George smiled at Amanda, “I’ve only known of one vampire that has a child while a vampire. He was the father, and the mother was Human. I’ve never known of a woman to have a child while a vampire. The biological environment of a vampire will not allow a woman to carry the child to term.”

“This may be the only way,” Amanda pointed out.

Colonel Sledge grimaced, “This is all so…out there.” He waved his hand outward from his head.

Amanda smiled, “Well, I won’t be carrying the baby. We’ll have to use a surrogate.” She smiled at her father. “It will, however, be your grandchild. It will be a Sledge.” She looked at Charles and smiled, “And a Slaughter.”

Colin grinned, “Amanda has been a very big asset for us.” He smiled at me, “My husband had begun communicating with the three in there.” He waved at the window and the three Old Ones.

“Amanda has begun to teach them to read and write.” I added.

“They can’t read and write?” Colonel Sledge asked. “They’ve been alive as long as you say, they can’t read or write?”

They couldn’t even talk,” George said calmly. “Devon got them to do that using sign language. They don’t really communicate with spoken words. With the aid of our computer, now they can.”

Colin waved his hand toward the door, “We’ll introduce you to the other members of our international team.”

“They are vampires, too?” Colonel Sledge asked.

George nodded a shrug, “Some are, and some aren’t.”

“See if you can tell who is what,” I grinned.

“And another item,” Colin said before we left the observation room. “You can see we are operating with the government’s knowledge. The VUN is not funded by taxpayers. We generate our own income.” Colin looked at me and saw my frown. He pointed at me, “You know full well if this was a federally funded enterprise, Colonel Sledge would use that as a means to become involved more!”

Colin could read people better than anyone. How could I doubt him?

 

We got to Vamp’s where I saw Shelly, Mark, and Stan talking with Amos Shang in the middle of a conversation.

“So,” Amos was asking, “There are no werewolves?”

Shelly held her finger up, “I can’t say there aren’t any, but we’ve never come across one.”

I walked to the table, “Can we join you?”

Mark grinned up at me, “Of course!” He waved at the empty chairs near him.

“None of the vampire werewolf wars?” Amos asked. “Remember in the Originals,” he grinned at me. “There was the ongoing fuel or war with the vampires, werewolves, and witches?” He waved at me, “Even in those Twilight movies there was the ongoing feud between the vampires and werewolves.”

I nodded smiling, “I remember and don’t forget about the Underworld movies. Vampires created the werewolves?” I shook my head, “I will admit to not caring too much for season four and five of the Originals. I felt like the writers got tired. Nor did I like the ending.”

“They left the vampire side of the story and concentrated more on the witches and werewolves.” Amos agreed and shrugged. “It was supernatural.”

“It was a pretty okay way to blow off fifty minutes.” I shook my head.

Colin looked from me to Amos, “I really do need to keep track of what you watch.” He was looking at me when he said that.

I ignored him. I looked at Amos, “I’ve never seen a ghost or a demon. I’m not saying there aren’t any. I just haven’t seen them or if I did, I didn’t know they were.”

“There are vampires in every part of the world,” Amos began. “Isn’t that right?”

Colin nodded, “That’s true.”

“However,” Amos continued. “The tales of vampires seem to be concentrated primarily with Christianity.”

George had come over with Amanda, her parents, and Charles Slaughter. They sat at a table near us. Preparations to move the table and join ours were being made. George introduced Colonel Sledge and Marcia Sledge to everyone. “There are more defined legends about vampires with the Christian nations and people, but there are plenty of tales as the victims of the vampire attacks were in Christian populations.”

“I wondered about that,” I ventured. “As Humans evolved, coming out of Northern Africa, the myths, legends, and scary tales about vampires came about.” I shrugged, “As we are new to getting any information about vampires in other cultures. It seems that the victims themselves were responsible for how they acted.”

George chuckled and shrugged slightly, “I never concentrated that much on vampire history. I can say there are a number of other legends about blood drinking demons among the natives of Africa.” He smirked, “There legends of blood drinking demons even in Australia.”

“The Aboriginal people in Australia have been there over sixty thousand years,” I pointed out. “Long before the Old Ones were even created!”

George nodded, “Yes, but ten thousand years is a long time for the legends and stories to change to make sense. It would be impossible to find out how and why.”

I held a finger up, “Not really.” I saw George frown. “Remember that the Old Ones have not been found in North or South America. They could not survive the weeks or months to make the trip! I don’t imagine they would know how.”

Amos nodded, “But vampires are in Asian countries, without those many Christian restrictions. Forgive my ignorance, but isn’t a vampire a vampire?”

“Ignorance is understandable,” Colonel Sledge smiled and was a lot less aggressive now. However, he wasn’t in charge. “I am ignorant about this whole thing.” He shrugged. “Which can be cured with education and knowledge.”

Charles chuckled, “Most of the people of the world are ignorant about this.” He shook his head, “I don’t intend to be ignorant anymore. For the nation’s security, my son had secrets he couldn’t share. I understood that.” He looked around Vamps, “Very clever naming this Vamps.” He smiled, “We aren’t talking about the loose party girls, are we?”

George smiled, “No, there are several vampires that are on staff here as chefs.”

“Who are offering newly found and rescued vampires to give them lives,” I explained.

Colin nodded agreeing, “Some have been without work and a history to get a job anywhere. Where would I find employment when my job was before the Civil War?”

“Or mine before World War II?” George added.

“Christianity came long after one of our people became a vampire!” I said and watched Colonel Sledge’s eyes widen. “He is the oldest we know of…” I looked at George, “Isn’t he?”

“Well,” Stan began hesitantly, “There have been some references to a mysterious woman in China.” He grinned at Amos, “I haven’t had as much experience with the lovely languages in China, but she maybe as old if not older than Amasis!”

Amos’ eyes widened, “My language skills only work with languages spoken currently.”

Stan waved that off, “Buddy can decipher any language. The language on those scrolls from Amasis’ City was tough, but we got through.” He nodded, “With the help of the Delkenzie Program it won’t be impossible, BUT…” he held his exception finger up. “This woman is supposed to be from the Xia Dynasty! We’re talking fifteen hundred years BCE!”

Mark frowned, “English, Stan. How old is she supposed to be?”

“BCE stands for a period of time before common era,” Stan explained getting excited. “Before year one! We’re talking about three to four thousand years ago! Much older than Amasis!”

“Wow,” I said in shock.

“Wait, wait,” Colonel Sledge said in disbelief. “There’s a vampire out there over three thousand years old!?”

Stan gave a shrugging nod, “That’s what I’m getting. Near the city of Anyang there has been some discussion about Empress Ji Ji Jang. I’ve had some trouble with the internet in and out of China. Buddy has been reading some messages within China,” he grinned a bit guiltily.

“Stan,” Colin shook his head. “That’s called espionage.”

Stan grudged a nod, “I would agree if I were looking into any government office. These are chats from one person in China to another! Unless they tell government secrets, we’re no threat.”

“We knew this was going to be tricky,” I said sadly. “The reaction to Google Internet is pretty telling. The government there wants to control so much.”

Amos grimaced, “There are good people in China. Not all government officials and agents are corrupt. Some are positively decent.” He sighed, “They will suspect you of doing things for more than assisting on a potential deadly disease or infection.” He shrugged a nod.

George frowned, “We invited some people from that Matilda Laboratory in Hong Kong because this is a worldwide problem. We aren’t politically driven.”

“But it is politically driven,” Colin insisted sadly. “We are presenting the people of China with a view from outside China. Tempting them with views the government in China will not like. More freedom.”

“Go back to this Empress Ji Ji…whatever,” Colonel Sledge insisted.. “She is that old?”

Stan grudged a nod again, “That’s what I’ve been getting.” He shrugged, “Getting Buddy to use the word search program he has gleaned through many messages and put together some content.”

“From private emails in China,” Colonel sought clarification. “The number of messages have to be in the zillions!”

Stan nodded and smiled, “Trillions, at least. Buddy can search for words spoken or written in emails and texts. There are many references to an Empress Goddess.”

Mark’s head wavered as he grimaced, “Here we go again with the god thing.”

Stan nodded, “Yes. If she exists, having someone still alive after a few millennia sort of makes her a god.”

“How did we miss all this!?” Colonel Sledge asked in disbelief.

“Vampires hide,” George began explaining. “Trust is almost impossible. We hide in the daytime and hunt at night in the dark.” He shrugged, “We leave almost nothing behind to see. We never knew about the venom because it breaks apart outside the body. We have the new computers to record what we see, but samples vanish. Dead bodies burn away.”

“We operate from secrecy,” I nodded. “We won’t necessarily die from any illness or disease, but we can be killed. So, I’ll tell you right now, it’s not a means to defeat death.” I looked at Amos, “People can be good and bad. It’s when they do things to control others, they become corrupt. It happens everywhere, not just in China.”

Amos grudged a nod, “My father is Chinese. There are…” he thought a second, “Let’s just say they don’t always play nicely. Ethics are often not considered.”

“That’s true with everyone,” Colin said. “Ethics and what we should and shouldn’t do is not considered..”

“There is an accountability factor,” Amos confessed. “The Chinese don’t necessarily worry about that.”

“Nor do many Americans,” I pointed out. “There are vampires in China as with the rest of the world. Someone has to reach them.”

Amos grinned, “You have vampire sniffing dogs!?” He asked happily changing the subject. He pointed at Mark, Stan, and Shelly. “They were just telling me about them.”

Mark grinned, “They are currently untrained, but I will tell you Devon is more than a dog whisperer. He doesn’t have to do anything. They obey him so quickly!”

There you are!” Kuyvashev said suddenly leading Yuri and Zoya to the table. I noticed Colonel Sledge’s eyebrows rise. Kuyvashev had a definite Russian accent when speaking English.

Colin chuckled, “We weren’t missing.” He looked at Colonel Sledge. “Yes, they are our friends from Russia.”

This was going to be a different world for Colonel Sledge. We were no longer as distrustful of Russia, but we weren’t the best of friends and definitely not strong allies.

“The Vampire United Nations has chapters not only in Manhattan, but England, Romania, and the latest one is in Asbest, Russia.” I said to Colonel Sledge. “Soon there will be one in China.” I touched Colin. “Begun a hundred years ago by Colin and George Holms.”

“And it won’t stop,” Colin smiled. “We intend and hope to have chapters in all the countries around the world.”

“This predates any war or conflict and has nothing to do with any religion or cultural ideology.” I added. “The Cold War is over. We are still finding vampires in the United States and even in Manhattan.”

“Our technology has helped breakdown any barriers,” George added. “The venom makes trust unwanted.” He sighed and nodded, “It’s something I, for one, struggle with every day. We are doing it.”

“We came back to tell a member of our team good-bye,” I said. “Chuck wasn’t a vampire, but he was at the heart of what we became. He will never be forgotten.”

“We will return to Russia,” Colin said smiling. “Leave some good people in charge of our Russian chapter. Then our much larger and better team will fly to China and begin there.”

“We now have the VUN’s flying headquarters,” I grinned. “Complete with Buddy and a top laboratory for George and Kevin! We are making an impact. We want to make a difference…”

“And find a cure!” George said firmly.

“You have no political agenda?” Colonel Sledge asked pointedly.

“We want to free people victimized by the venom,” Colin replied.

“Men have changed very little,” Stan stated. “Ten thousand years ago the idea of creating the perfect soldier was just as important then as today.” He grinned as he waved at Colonel Sledge, “You are still doing it. You train the next generation of military officers.”

“To provide safety and security for all Americans!” Colonel Sledge nodded.

“You train men and women to be soldiers by tearing them apart and building them back up again.” I held my finger up, “But you train future officers who will be in charge of a whole group of men and women.”

“That’s right,” Colonel Sledge nodded. “Military men and women are needed to lead these soldiers. They need discipline and guidance. My office oversees the training of future officers and the enlisted.”

“To make sure they follow the right path,” I said.

“Yes,” Colonel Sledge said. “To be a vampire you seem to only need one thing. Blood. My problem is all people aren’t nice or even law-abiding people.” He nodded in Kuyvashev’s direction. “He seems nice, but how do you know he really is?”

I grinned, “We can’t.” I shrugged, “We do have some defenses about this. We’ve encountered many different kinds of vampire. If they survive the bite they will become a vampire. No series of bites needed.” Sighing I confessed, “No one changes much. There is everyone from a five-year-old to a man with Downs Syndrome who are vampires.” I watched Colonel Sledge’s eyes widen. “There are many that are what we call wild vampires. They can’t talk or reason. Their only purpose is to drink blood and remain in the dark.” I looked at Colin, “We have abilities that come with us after being bitten. The venom enhances the ability and makes them stronger. Colin can see who is telling the truth or lying. He can judge a man’s motivations.”

Colin grudged a nod, “No one is perfect. I have been wrong…”

I shook my head, “Not really. The ones like us who can mask what they feel…that tells you they’re trying to deceive us.”

“We also have members that can make you tell the truth better than any truth serum,” George added. “No drug needed.”

“They can also make you do things,” Colin stated.

“Compelling?” Amos marveled. “You can do that!?”

Colin nodded, “Some better than others.” He grinned as he watched Colonel Sledge, “Even now, I can see your concern about how this can be used against us and wondering if it can be used by our military.”

Colonel Sledge looked suspiciously at Colin, “You can read minds.”

“No,” Colin shook his head. “I read people. Experience and having done this for almost two hundred years I sort of can read what’s on a person’s mind.” He smiled and leaned forward. “You are a military leader, and it would be a concern for you. Am I wrong?”

“You get a new recruit,” I suggested. “You can assess if they have what is needed to become an officer. You have to admit there are military officers that aren’t good, and some are downright sadistic.”

Colonel nodded, “Yes, there are.” He agreed sadly.

“You can probably tell who will be,” Colin suggested.

“I had a few TIs that I was sure were sadists,” I grumbled.

Colonel Sledge’s eyes held surprise. “You were in the military?”

I nodded, “I sure was. I was in the Air Force. I did a couple of tours in the Middle East. I was a medic.”

“We have a few war veterans in our numbers,” Colin smiled. “World Wars 1 and 2. Korea, and one Revolutionary War!” He shrugged. “Some not in any war for the United States or England.”

“That sounds great! Right?” I asked. “It’s not.”

“We are here discussing this now and what we are is proof that man has not changed in ten thousand years.” Colin said grimly. “A greedy group of men wanted to create advanced troops to weaken other kingdoms and it’s people by creating those three you’ve seen in that room you just left.”

“There is no glory in war,” I said bitterly. “I have seen death up close as a man sent to deal with the dead and injured in war.” I sighed. “The men and women that were injured, often maimed by war is horrible. Children!” I shook my head, “Innocent children that are permanently injured by war. I saw a man hold a child, a toddler up as a shield, knowing we would not fire on him in fear we would hit the child instead.” I raised my hands out, “I don’t know if it was even his child, but we didn’t kill him because of it.” I went on, “I had this one I will never forget. He was maybe twenty! Hardly more than a child himself.” I felt tears forming and spilling on my cheeks. “He had been on a probe team looking for insurgents. A nasty bomb had gone off killing three men, but he was alive! I was a medic, and I was there to save lives, not to kill.” I felt Colin put his arm around my shoulder. “I have to get this out, Colin.” I looked at Colonel Sledge, “His right leg was blown off! His left leg had muscle damage and gaping holes, one so deep you could see the bone underneath.” I took a breath, “The heat of the explosion had caused part of his uniform to tear, and it was merging with the skin and muscle.” I shook my head, “I was there to help him! I had to hurt him to save his life! He was unconscious at first…” I felt my breath hitch, “I had to use this stiff wire brush to scrape his skin to get the uniform off him or he would die from infection as well as the injuries by the bomb. His muscles in his legs…it was like scraping through hamburger meat.” I let myself cry harder, “He woke up while I was doing it and began screaming! I quickly sedated him, but I had to hurt him to save his life! I had to!” I shook my head, “I sometimes can still hear it in my head!” I looked determinedly at Colonel Sledge who had backed up slightly. “I’ve killed a man! It was no accident! He was going to take someone important to me away by killing him!” I took Colin’s hand which I squeezed. “I looked in his eyes as I fired the gun and killed him! I had no choice!”

I felt Colin press his lips to the side of my head, “It was me he’s talking about.” He told Colonel Sledge quietly. “He saved my life!” He held me gently. “Imagine living and you are still in the world, but not a part of it. Hiding in the dark but can interact with it very little, if any.” He sighed, “I know of some that are bitten who finally have had enough and step out in sunlight and burn to end the suffering!”

George rubbed a tear from his own face, “Devon has counselled his own stepfather with Post Traumatic Stress, and we corrected that man’s brain trauma that left him in a fog from World War One! He helped Alex with his PTSD from World War Two. Vlad and Gaius from a war that happened in the fifteenth or sixteenth century! Devon’s gift is compassion.”

“He loves everyone!” Mark stated, also touched by what I had said. “He loved that first one, Gizmo? He gave Gizmo love for the first time in ten thousand years!”

“He fell in love with Iustina, and Repetate, and Ralph!” Colin chuckled as he sniffed. “The three in there?” He pointed over his shoulder, “And they love him! He made us fall in love with them!”

Colonel Sledge nodded and said quietly, “But they are killers.”

I shook my head, “They are what they were made to be.” I said quietly. “They are Human. Created by evil men for a job they did well. We were made by them to further the job.” I smiled, “Now we are saying no. We won’t do it!”

George grinned, “In fact, some of our fellow vampires have come up with alternatives! Sheep’s blood, cow’s blood…”

I chuckled, “Even rat’s blood!” I pointed down indicating New York’s subways. I chuckled again as Colonel Sledge’s mouth curled in revulsion. “I’ve never had it, but as I understand it, it’s an acquired taste, Colonel.”

He was now a lot more relaxed as he saw us as less of a threat. “Harry.” He chuckled, “We can dispense with the formal Colonel part now.”

I shook my head, “Oh, no, Colonel.” I waved at him, “You came in full uniform. You wanted to impress us with your authority. Well, we are, but I will always refer to you as Colonel when you are in uniform. If you dress as a civilian, then I will call you Harry.”

Amanda smiled, got up and kissed her father on the cheek, “Thank you, Daddy. I’ve called you Daddy even when you are in uniform.”

“I always am,” Colonel Sledge smiled and shrugged.

“Now,” Colin said a little triumphantly, “Now we plan for the next phase of a true Vampire United Nations. A new chapter in China!”

Stan chuckled, “We will need Amasis with this Empress Goddess. One former god can more easily deal with another god.”

“If she exists!” Mark countered.

Stan’s eyes rolled, “With everyone out there, including Dracula, it was based on rumors and was proven to be true!”

“Dracula!?” Marica repeated. “You proved there was a Dracula?”

I nodded, “We proved a lot about Dracula.” I grinned, “I can introduce you. He works with us now.”

Colin shoved me slightly, “He will tell you he is NOT Dracula!” He looked at Marcia. “Dracula is a fictional character Vlad gave life to. Braum Stoker used a few Vampires to create Dracula. He’s really a great guy!”

It was later when Colin said to me, “I had no idea you went through all that.” He smiled, “I knew you had a problem with killing Iilya, but you never talk about the other things.”

I nodded, “I can’t forget it. Killing Iilya or that young man I worked on.” I smiled sadly, “I understand Dale Gibson, the soldier I hurt to heal, is doing well now.” I smiled at Colin. “He works with the Wounded Warrior Program now. He’s married and has two children now.” I smiled at that. “I kept up with him from the sidelines. Not everybody has a happy ending.” I sighed, “I don’t like emotional pain, but it’s a part of my past. Having the pain tells me I can still feel. Denying it is wrong and only hurts more.”

Colin kissed me, “You never talk about it, which I understand. That makes you the perfect counselor.”

 

The feeling in Vamps was much more relaxed and we were visiting as friends now. Lunch was ordered and I even ordered some faggots! That wonderful discovery I made in England. Amos had some, as well. He loved it. No offense to anyone in England, but the vampire chefs at Vamps made them much better than they had in England! There were vampire chefs in England now and I knew they could do even better!

 

Mark was a bit more serious when he spoke with me at our table, “I’m sorry that happened to you.”

I nodded, “I am, too.”

He grinned again, “It’s starting.”

My eyes widened, “It is? What is it?”

“Pusik is nursing less,” Mark stated like it was obvious. “Too many mouths to feed. She’ll have them weened in a few days!”

“Isn’t it early?” I asked.

“A dog’s schedule is its own,” he shrugged. “She knows when to do what. She’s been a mother before, remember?” Then he looked at me seriously again. “We should tell our family don’t you think. Stan and me.”

I looked at Mark carefully, “I know your parents and brother…” I grudged a wavering nod, “Hell, I know Stan’s mother and sister! Telling them is up to you.” I sighed, “Amanda needed support from Charles Slaughter and her parents because of the next step Amanda wants to take. Adding another life…”

“Maybe,” Mark corrected.

My head went back slightly, “Oh, come on. This is George we’re talking about! He wouldn’t have suggested it if he didn’t think it was possible!”

Mark looked around to see who would overhear and almost whispered, “Doris is a great lady, but she’s not…” he hesitated.

“She’s not sophisticated,” I nodded. I shoved him back, “She accepted you with no problem!” I smiled, “You two know her better than we do.”

Stan, who never went too far from Buddy, was reading off a tablet he carried. His Pocket Buddy, he called it. It was more than a android phone, more than a computer. Connected with Buddy, it was an extension of Buddy. He saw something that caused his face to change to worry. He sat up more and brought what he was looking at into more focus as he read. “Oh, my.” He said in an almost whisper.

Mark and I looked at Stan, Mark asking, “What’s the matter, Stan?”

Stan continued reading, never taking his eyes off what he was looking at, “Remember in Romania, during the Transylvania Halloween thing? The Vampire Death Squad? That young man named Cody?”

We were nodding. I said, “Vlad gave his instruction to the leader to go home and forget what he was doing there.”

Stan looked at me, “Yes, he did to Cody. Not to all of them there.” He held his tablet up. I saw a picture, a clear photograph of Vlad! Taken while he was on the stage commanding the crowd to stop and listen. Damned photography now. His handsome face could be seen in fine detail. Stan’s finger swiped the screen and another picture of Vlad, with Colin on one side of Vlad and me on the other side. “This is a YouTube posting from someone known as The Truth Tattler who says they were there and witnessed the whole event.” He turned on an audio and video file and let it play.

“Are vampires real?” A voice asked. I couldn’t determine if the voice was male or female. A male with a tenor voice or a female with a contralto voice? It could be either. “I will present the evidence and you decide.” The voice said. “Two of these men we know. The man to the left of the center is Colin Wentworth, to the right of center is Devon Wentworth the husband to Colin Wentworth. This we have on record. This billionaire couple have been seen in Manhattan, Charleston in South Carolina and even in London!” The image of Vlad came back in focus. “This man is an unknown! This was during the Transylvanian Halloween Spectacular recently where an attack by unknown terrorists launched a deadly attack using a previously unknown gas or pathogen. The results were several deaths. There would have been many more deaths if not for this man.” The image of Vlad grew filling the screen. “Who is this man?” The voice asked with the sound of incredibility in the voice. “No authority knows! Or at least no one will tell who that is. Contacts with Romanian Intelligence have gone on deaf ears. None of the surrounding countries know either. He doesn’t exist!? Well, there he is! He does exist!” The image of Wentworth Manor appeared. Taken from the news coverage of the outside and the inside taken before our first Christmas at Wentworth Manor when construction was complete. “The Wentworths are a famous family in the South. Recently, very famous in Manhattan. They run and control Holms Laboratories which has some very effective treatments and cures for many blood disorders and cancers.” The image of George appeared. “This man is Dr. George Holms, also a billionaire and is said to be a genius several times over. Who is he? Together with Colin Wentworth started Holms Laboratories and has made if very successful, generating billions! But get this! They were in Romania not for vacation but working on a translator. Yes! Speaking with several in Romania, they were reported to have a team of people going around speaking many languages to help their computer translate all languages so everyone can be understood!”

While this was very obviously not being done by a professional journalist it was presenting true facts.

“The need for such a translator is needed, however there are questions that remain unanswered. One is who is Colin Wentworth? He is a wealthy man from the South? Yet has spent many decades in Manhattan. Information about Colin Wentworth has been blocked at the highest levels. Why? Holms Laboratories began in the 1970s. Colin Wentworth is about forty years old, and he wasn’t even born then! Or was he? Devon Wentworth is Devon McGee, born in Charleston, South Carolina. He married Colin Wentworth and became a Wentworth. His identity is confirmed. He was hired by Colin Wentworth to rebuild Wentworth Manor, but I present more! They were in Romania at the Transylvanian Halloween Spectacular where many people disappeared! I mean these people were there one day and completely gone the next morning! Bodies of the dead there were found to be drained of blood! Some of those bodies disappeared from the morgues! Nothing left to examine or any evidence to go through. What better way for real vampires to wander in a crowd that a bunch of others, dressed as vampires? No one would be worried. My question to you, are vampires real? You answer for yourselves. What is this VH5? I believe vampires are very real. Facts as they are available will be presented to you. Decide for yourselves. This is The Truth Tattler. I always want the truth and I will tell you what it is.”

The You Tube presentation concluded and Stan lowered the tablet. “This was posted a month ago. The followers are now in the millions.”

“Show it to Colin and George,” I suggested to Stan. “We knew this could and would happen. How do you know it is the Vampire Death Squad?”

“Because they used the same techniques,” Stan explained. “In the attempt to make tracking them nearly impossible, they bounced this file like they did before off servers and locations around the world. They claim to have been there.”

“Okay,” Mark nodded. “Where did it originate from?”

Stan frowned, “From the computer lab at California Institute of Technology.” He held a finger up, “But the file itself was assembled elsewhere. It was brought to CIT and sent from there. Using Buddy I can tell you where and when. I should be able to find out who logged on and find out from whom. Like MIT, users have to have an ID. Assigned by the school with an address and password. Even staff have to log on and have permission.” He grinned and shrugged, “Which is also on the computer!”

“Couldn’t they have been given the log on and password?” Mark asked.

Stan nodded, “Yes.” He sighed. “If it was given or stolen…” he shrugged, “either way we have an identity. We will start there and if it was stolen, we start from there. If it was given, we also start from there.” He grinned, “but if they are like MIT, the computers look back to ensure who the user is. Most students and staff don’t mind that. They work on sensitive things and the assurance their hard work isn’t being stolen, they are grateful. We’ll find them.” Stan held his tablet up. The “we” was him and Buddy.

“We need to let the others know about this,” I more than simply suggested.

 

We had been given a large room at Vamps to meet, talk, eat or whatever out of the way from dining customers. Stan sent the file to be seen on a large screen television monitor. Everyone, including Colonel Sledge saw it.

“I thought getting the FBI in on this would stop things like this,” George frowned.

I shook my head, “No, George. We stopped the spread of wild rumors and even stopped needless deaths.”

Colin looked at us, “Vlad could suggest to this person not to do this anymore.”

Stan nodded, “Vlad could do that.”

I was thinking, “But should he?” That got me some curious looks. I held my hand up in caution. “We could storm in, have Vlad suggest this person to stop, but it would be like putting a fence up to block the incoming tide. It won’t work.”

Colin nodded, “We included the FBI first to give credence with what we are doing.”

“They broadcast your pictures and even told everyone where you live in Charleston!” Colonel Sledge pointed out. “They even told everyone where you are at Holms Laboratories.”

“We’re secure here and in Charleston,” Colin said. “No one will get far getting to us.”

“If we suppress their efforts to tell the truth to everyone,” I began. “We make a Conspiracy Theorist a martyr.” I shrugged, “I’m not okay with it. That would be like being okay with an approaching hurricane! Whether we’re okay with it or not is irrelevant. It will hit!”

Colin smiled, “We can deal with what’s happening and learn how to deal with it. Having Vlad suggest to them not to do this is unwise.”

“So,” Mark stated, “Turn this to our advantage. Include them on our next trip.”

“To China?” I asked to be certain.

“They want the truth,” Mark nodded. “We let them see it for themselves.”

“And report the truth,” I nodded.

George’s expression held serious doubt. “They won’t trust us.”

“Do you trust them?” Colin asked. “We knew that as soon as I hit send for that first message to the other Vampire Capitols, this could and would happen.”

“We counted on the many nutjobs and pranksters crowding the internet with crazy things,” I nodded. “We thought anyone who found our truth would be drowned out.” I pointed at the screen. “This file has hit over three million hits so far!”

“That’s within the first couple of weeks!” Stan added.

“We give them the truth,” I said simply. “At least with us there, we can get some sort of control.”

“We’re about to leave for China,” George said.

“At first,” Colin started, “We’re taking our British friends home. We’re taking our Russian friends home. Then we’ll go to China.”

“This may put off our leaving by a week or two,” I said. “We know we won’t be going for just a few days or even weeks! Will they come with us?”

“As determined as they are to tell this truth,” Colin said smiling grimly, “I don’t see that this will be a problem. They are obsessed with us.” He looked at Stan. “Find out who this is. Devon, Vlad, Gaius, and I will go to them and invite them to join us.”

My eyebrows rose, “You want Vlad to suggest they come with us?”

Colin nodded a shrug, “That will be the only suggestion to them. Nothing else. I don’t think it will be necessary.”

“You will need an FBI Agent and a computer expert,” Stan smiled.

Colin chuckled and nodded, “To do what you were brought here to do.”

“But, please,” I grinned as I shook my head. “Can we not look like the stereotypical FBI agent?”

Mark grinned, “Stan and I have never been the stereotypical agents.”

Stan rose from his chair, “Now, if you will excuse me, Buddy and I will be finding a name and address for this Truth Tattler. We can plan what to do after that.”

Buddy was a wonderful computer. I could use it pretty well. I mean I knew more than just how to turn it on. There were all these languages used now to program. C, C++ to Python, to Rust! Dozens of others! I took a course in C and even Basic, but they became obsolete! I had no idea what Buddy was programmed with. Coding! How one computer communicated with another computer. I knew Buddy could communicate with all of them. Stan could read and use and do everything with Buddy. No one could keep up with Stan. No one. It took him a couple of hours, but he came back to us, still in the private room at Vamps.

“This is the person that sent the file from CIT.” Stan reported and sent the new file to the big screen.

The image was clear, and the young person looked to be in their early to mid-twenties. This image was a young man as his scruffy facial hair attested. He had dark hair, in need of a cut for me, and brown eyes. He was constantly shaking his head to get a strand of hair from bangs in front of his eyes. He finally brought a ball cap out, turned it backward and forced the hair out of his eyes.

“This is David Bernstein.” Stan introduced. “He’s in his third year at CIT. He has excellent grades and is considered to be a genius.”

“He’s our Truth Tattler?” Mark asked.

Stan shrugged, “He came to the lab, logged on and downloaded this Tattletale file in fifteen minutes. He didn’t do any programming there.” He pointed at the image of David who was squinting to download the file. I got the impression the squinting had less to do with eye trouble, but more like a man working, concentrating hard who rests his tongue at the corner of his mouth as he worked. He was a nice-looking young man. “He lives in a house with three other young men and two young women.”

“Six young people in one house?” Mark scowled. “I hope it’s a good size.”

“It’s a house,” Stan explained. “It’s partially rented.” Stan grudged a shrug, “It is in Pasadena. From what I read about the house’s power consumption; I’d say they are running a pretty powerful computer twenty-four seven. Or even several computers.”

“They all could be the Truth Tattler,” I said.

Colin raised his hand and motioned, “Which is why we’re bringing Vlad!”

“You’re going!” I said. “You can tell when they lie.”

Colin nodded, “But Vlad can force them to tell what that truth is!”

“He can?” Colonel Sledge asked.

I nodded, “I’ve seen it in action. He can.”

“I’ll make arrangements to fly there tomorrow morning,” Colin said then clapped once. “I could eat again.”

 

We were taking the smaller jet to California. Colonel Sledge and his wife stayed overnight. They had brought luggage to Manhattan, but we invited them to stay. This time I got to see Harry without the uniform. Even without the uniform he still carried himself like a military officer. That interior uniform remained. He volunteered to go with us, but we didn’t want to come down on this group with a hard military presence. We flew to Bob Hope Airport in Burbank.

Ruben had contacted the FBI in Los Angeles and asked that someone watch the house before we got there. Ruben apparently knew someone at the office there, so there was not a lot of discussion. We arranged for our own transportation from the airport to the house where David Bernstein and friends lived. It was a typical Southwestern house construction with stucco walls and red roof ceramic tiles. It was not unattractive, but clearly housed some young adults. There were flowers and grass, but a yard manicure was needed.

“There are four bedrooms in this four thousand five hundred and twenty-five square foot house,” Stan explained. “I think with the rent and that huge electric bill each month, one of those bedrooms is used for the computer or computers.”

This time I agreed that Stan and Mark should dress like FBI agents. Wearing dark suits and dark sunglasses they looked like what they were. Or at least Mark still was.. This was Los Angeles, but it was cool this time of year and even Los Angeles had cool weather at the end of Summer.

Mark met with the two FBI agents that watched the house from an off-street location a block away. “There are two remaining in the house. One male and one female.” The man behind the wheel of their SUV reported. “I guess the others are at school or something.”

The man on the passenger side added and pointed to the front of the house. “The house has surveillance cameras and who knows what else. It doesn’t seem too complex a system.”

“Do you need help with this?” The first man asked Mark.

Mark smiled, “We just need to talk to them.” He motioned behind him with his thumb where we sat in our SUV. “I have all the help we need. Thank you for doing this.”

“No problem,” the man nodded. “I guess we’ll move on to the next case.”

Mark turned to us, “Stan, Gaius and I will be at the front door.” He pointed at Colin, Vlad and I, “You guys need to be there, but not prominent at first.”

“Roger that!” I saluted Mark with a grin.

We went as a group toward the double front doors, careful that Vlad, Colin nor I looked in the recessed front doors’ direction, looking away from any camera lagging a bit behind Mark, Stan, and Gaius. Gaius looked particularly rough with his black eyepatch on.

Mark rung the doorbell. This was an upscale neighborhood and even the doorbell we heard big brass bells sounded inside more grandly that a simple ding dong. It took a few minutes for someone to open the door. A young woman…hardly more than twenty and kind of pretty. She was young and that made her pretty without a lot of effort. Long brown hair and brown eyes wearing shorts and a t-shirt. She was at home. There were cameras around, but clearly she wasn’t ready to see us which showed on her face.

Mark smiled a charming smile and took out his badge and identification. “I’m Agent Mark Goodard of the FBI.” He said holding his ID so it could easily be read by her. “My partner Stan Martin and some associates. We’d like to speak with David Bernstein.”

Her eyes widened when she heard that. “My brother is at school.”

Mark nodded, “That makes sense. Do you know what he did August thirty first?”

The young woman paled a little and said loudly, “Blake! Some men from the FBI want to talk to David!”

Someone in the house’s interior was suddenly in motion as we heard faintly from a distance inside, “The FBI!?” It had to be this Blake as she and one other were home at this time.

“Can we come in?” Stan asked pleasantly.

“Do you have a warrant?” The young woman asked testily.

Mark smiled more at the kind of question asked in the innocence of ignorance, “If we were building a case, perhaps.” His tone and smile took on the patience of an adult speaking with a willful child. “We aren’t doing that. We just wish to speak with Mr. Bernstein.”

“Really,” Stan added chuckling. “The FBI doesn’t really need or use warrants.”

A young man in his early twenties with short, dark blond hair came to the door pulling a shirt over his head, “You can’t just come in.”

“We could,” Mark corrected. He turned in our direction. “Vlad, we can show them a warrant.” He waved Vlad, Colin, and me forward. “Let’s show them.” Now Vlad could be seen. “This is one warrant,” he waved at Colin and I, “and here are two more!”

This Blake and young woman looked startled! They recognized us.

Vlad had a very nice smile on his face and said, “Your permission to come in would be appreciated, but not necessary,” Vlad said in accented English. He then stepped up and into the doorway and in, only a step, then stepped back out.

I nodded, “You recognize us.” I pointed at them, “I see it in your faces.”

“You guys wouldn’t do well in a game of poker,” Colin chuckled lightly. “You have tells that just scream the answers!”

Stan looked at the young woman more directly, “You’re Sarah.” He said and clearly it wasn’t a question. “Records tell me that you and your brothers Caleb and David inherited this house after your parents were killed ten years ago.”

Again, Sarah’s eyes widened. “Yes.”

“Your brother posted a You Tube video report naming Devon and I,” Colin took my hand. “You also told our address in Charleston and even our business address in Manhattan.” He shook his head, “You must have been prepared for a reply.”

I leaned into Colin, “I don’t think they counted on a face-to-face reply.” I said in a stage whisper they could hear.

Blake recovered from his shock and stepped forward toward Vlad and pointed, “Who are you?”

Vlad smiled, “I’ve gone by several names. Now, I’m Vlad Dragon. I have been known as Vlad Tepes, and Vlad Dracul…” he watched as the eyes were widening even more. Laughing lightly he went on. “Yes, you know my name. I am also known as…” he leaned toward Sarah and used the voice, “Dracula!” The name resonated in our minds. Sarah and Blake stepped back a step or two in horror.

“He proved to you he doesn’t need to be invited in,” Colin pointed out. “We could come in anytime we wish to.”

I held my hand up to Colin, “But we won’t do that.” I said to Colin and then to these two. “We’d like to be allowed in.”

Colin put a hand gently on Vlad, “Even if he is Dracula, therefore a vampire, he is not behaving like a vampire. Can we come in a discuss things like civilized people?”

“We promise,” I added. “No one will get hurt. We are no threat to you.”

“Do we have a choice?” Blake asked snidely.

“Sure, you do,” Mark said. “We could do the same thing to you. Letting everyone in the world know who you are and where you are.”

We were let in, but not really welcomed.

The Bernsteins had not been poor. The house was decorated well and elegantly but showed signs of time that passed. While not cluttered in the common areas, the kitchen had dirty dishes in the sink. A pot was still on the stove but what was made was clearly not in the pot anymore. Cluttered used plates on the dinette table. There was a lot of open space. A great room had evidence this was where Blake had been. A game console was out and a controller on the couch. The big screen was showing the game was ready to continue.

Stan looked at Sarah compassionately, “Your older brother Caleb is listed as missing. He’s not missing. He’s dead, isn’t he?”

Sarah had tears welling in her eyes, “He is dead.” Why deny it? We clearly knew.

“No body has been buried,” Stan pressed. “Because there is no body when a vampire is killed.”

Sarah now was crying harder, “He disappeared as ash. He just burned away.”

Colin nodded, “We’re sorry for your loss. He was bitten when? How long was he a vampire?”

“Two days,” Sarah admitted. “He couldn’t find blood. He’d have to kill someone.” She cried. “He wouldn’t do it at first he said. He said the hunger was unbearable!”

Four of us that were vampires here knew this hunger. Stan and Mark had been bitten to save their lives. When they woke as vampires we had blood ready to be consumed as soon as they woke. I only had it really bad in Amasis’ City when I had the disk removed to become an active vampire to show Amasis we were the same. The hunger was very unbearable and would not be denied.

“He and Denise had gone caving,” Sarah sobbed. “He said Denise was killed, but he lived. He survived by killing a dog. He got home and we saw him. He looked horrible! His eyes were dry and his skin…”

“We know,” Colin said softly. “So, what happened with Caleb?”

“He wouldn’t take David’s or my blood!” Sarah said shaking. “He is sought as the killer of Denise, and his disappearance is suspected to be guilt. He went to a desert area. We followed him and as the sun was rising, he said he couldn’t live as he was. He burned! He killed himself!”

“So, that’s why you became the Vampire Death Squad,” Mark nodded.

“They have to be stopped!” Blake stated firmly. He pointed at Vlad,. “You can’t be Dracula!”

“I can’t?” Vlad asked. “I’m under treatment, so I can’t offer any proof.”

“We can under a microscope,” I clarified. “All of us,” I waved at us, “are vampires.”

Sarah gasped, “You can’t be! It’s daylight!”

“We are under treatment,” Colin explained again.

“What happened to Cody?” I asked the two.

“Cody Billingsly?” Blake asked and frowned. “He came back from Romania and he just sort of quit being involved at all.” He shrugged. “I was at the Transylvania All Hallows Eve Spectacular. He was gung-ho about what we were doing and then suddenly not.” He shrugged, “It was like someone just turned him off from the Squad.” He looked at Vlad, “Did you have something to do with that? Just as they began to attack the crowd, most everyone just stopped. He had one cornered and was about to kill him. Cody was taken and then he was back saying we had to leave! Why?”

“Because this isn’t a game,” Colin growled. “You children have no idea what it is you’re doing! We suggested he forget the whole thing and leave.”

I touched Colin, “They had a terrible thing happen and they struck back. It’s understandable.”

Colin rolled his eyes and sort of shrugged a head shake. “Always taking their side.”

I swatted his arm lightly, “I do when it makes sense!” I held my finger up to Colin. “Don’t forget why we came here.”

“They don’t understand,” Colin insisted.

“Which we want them to understand,” I said.

He looked at Blake, “Is David coming home soon?”

Blake nodded, “In a few hours. Maybe. You guys threatened him.”

“No,” Mark shook his head. “We saved his life! We have the backing of many governments, including ours. The President knows what we’re doing.”

“We stopped a military action on you,” Stan added. “It wasn’t too difficult to find out who you were and where you were.”

“We don’t want you to stop,” I said. “We want you to do it on the inside.”

“To say what you want us to,” Blake said suspiciously.

“To see the truth and write about it.” I clarified. “You say vampires. We say victims! Almost every one of these vampires are people that survived a vampire’s attack. They aren’t the enemy. They are victims just like Caleb! We’re trying to get rid of vampires by curing them! Not killing anyone!”

Blake looked doubtful, “You do.”

“We were forgotten!” Gaius said. “Hiding in the dark, we weren’t killed, but it was worse than killing us. We lived outside the world and were not allowed to be in the world. That was a literal Hell.”

“We’re taking our lives back!” Colin stated firmly. “We want you to see it with us. Know what we’re doing and why!”

“We kept this secret so not to cause a panic,” I explained. “You have millions of followers. This will be the first time we let the outside world know what’s really happening. Governments around the world and scientific institutes are now helping with this. It is only a matter of time before the rest of the world knows. We want this done carefully. You have got to know this needs to be done with care and caution!”

The front door opened, “Hi.” A voice said happily. “There’s a strange SUV here. Who are our…” David said coming in, saw us all rise, then saw Vlad, Colin, and me. He froze. He saw Mark and Stan.

“Before you jump to conclusions,” Mark cautioned. “Hear what we have to say.”

“We want to offer an opportunity to you,” Mark offered waving David in. “Please?”

Copyright © 2018 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 21
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This is a  twist I had not imagined, but it is not really surprising in today's world where everyone with a smartphone thinks they are a reporter.  Everyone thinks they know the whole truth, but usually only know a part of the truth -- and often not the more significant parts of the truth.

@R. Eric -- this opens up fantastic opportunities for the story.

Edited by ReaderPaul
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
re2

Posted (edited)

@R. Eric despite your travails and other stories to keep posting to, thank you for this fantastical tale. It’s all here! — a pharaoh, Vlad, and potentially a Chinese goddess — not to mention the incredibly fleshed out characters leading the way. And leading with the most important message of all — acceptance. 

Edited by re2
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
23 hours ago, re2 said:

It’s all here!

Thank you!! (I'm bowing, but you can't see it.) No one wants a story about things they know! Be in Cinderella or vampires. I'm watching Cinderella when it came out with Richard Madden. I said, "Where's our Fairy Tales?" I love Stephen King and Anne Rice, but really? How many times have I watched the whole Twighlight movie series? Who the Hell is Bella Swan anyway? Now, her dad, Charlie!! I have fantasies on fantasies with him! Sorry, but I'm not into twinks. After a few decades, we'll see. I like men who are seasoned. My vampires are older. Even the vampires turned as teenagers have matured and let go of teenage angst! And I can't stop. My stories won't end. Ever!! I swear!

 

R. Eric 💘

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..