Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 3,482 Words
  • 2,045 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Blueblood 5.1: Red Alert!! - 6. Forcing Our Hands

I miss you, Daniel.

Is Dorian coming or not? It's not the monster it was.

Forcing Our Hands

 

 

It was a big kitchen and dining area that fed many workers in previous years but we had so many with us now, it was feeling a little cramped as there were now twenty-four of us. Mark, Stan Shelly and Amir had not gotten here yet. They were on the way once they dealt with customs and got what we needed for Buddy. They had translators, too and would probably have no problem. People were fascinated with them. They also had the serum and sun guns tha looked like toys for just that purpose. They were toys. There was a popping sound when the trigger was pulled. The men could inspect all they wanted and even shoot each other with no harm to anyone.

 

We were going to Asbest in the morning to begin to do what we said. Recording the various accents and languages. Russian was the language, but there were nomadic people that lived in the region, too. We would record their languages even if hardly anyone spoke them, to build the database. Mom, Willie, Alex and Gabriella were being tourist.

I admit it. I had a preconceived notion about what was here. Not just Siberia, but Russia. They weren't lacking in things to do. It was the snow and ice that was the problem which that wasn't the case at moment. In my mind I saw nothing but white covering the ground as people wore thick furs trudged through wind and blizzard-like snow and ice to go to work or even run to the store. Asbest even had a Sushi Bar! There was scientific research and had schools about mining. There were two museums. One about the geology and one those nomadic people and locals worthy to remember. There was a stadium. It was not a huge one, but much of the town for sports and even concerts.

It was because they were often bound by the weather, the biggest attraction now was the pleasant weather and sunshine.

It was truly beautiful here. There were other tourists here to hike the lush trails. In many ways, I was reminded of the Northern Rockies and National Parks like Yosemite or Lake Tahoe. Rivers flowed and there were lakes where the many birds were raising the next generation. In was very peaceful. Then I was remembered what was below this peaceful scene. Still, it was Summer. I didn't know what the school year schedule was, but there were recreation parks and kids were being kids. Running, squealing and having fun. That noise was the true universal language as the sound could be heard around the world. A soccer game was being played in one park and field hockey in another.

“In many ways,” I said to Colin as we rode through Asbest, “I would prefer a frozen world.”

Colin was watching the road for the surprising traffic in Asbest. Surprising to me. There were people going about here. “What?”

I waved at a field where a group of children were after a ball they were kicking around. “This.” I said. “You could replace the ball they're playing with an American football and this could be any town in the U.S.”

Colin looked toward where I was looking. He gave a grudging nod. “Sure.”

“They all can't be supporting the vampires.” I said watching two other children playing the familiar game of tag as one ran from the other to keep that from happening. “There are innocents here, too.”

The smile appeared on his face. “There has to be.” He shrugged. “There has to be life. Innocent lives. Otherwise, the vampires would have hunt them.”

I nodded looking at the passing scenery. “Which would be disastrous for the vampires. You scare families away and you become a predator. It's survival to have a hierarchy of control.”

“Right.” Colin agreed. “You must have order or face chaotic situations.” Glancing over his gaze softened. “You're doing it again.” He smiled patiently. “You see the positive to fall in love.” He waved at Asbest. “Now you're doing it with a whole Russian town.”

I nodded. “I make it a point to see the positive. Not the negative. It's how I am.”

Colin reached over pulling my hand over to him holding it. “I know. That's one of the many things I fell in love with.” He thought again. “Think about the positive of this situation.” He pointed to a group of teenagers walking somewhere in the urban part of Asbest. “We're doing this to stop the progression so they won't have to service these vampires.”

 

Asbest was situated in some foothills on the lower East side of the Ural Mountains. The Soviets were not as careful getting what they wanted. It wasn't just the Soviets, but people in general. They knew where something was, went in and got it. To Hell with what they left behind. One more time, blah, blah, blah. They were messy. The strip mining, the asbestos, dust and toxic wastes were carelessly handled and discarded. The rivers and lakes were polluted with the dust and wastes effecting a lot of this beautiful land. They didn't care. Prisoners, both criminal and political were sent here to work. Thousands of lives were lost being sent to “the gulag” in forced labor camps. Often whole families were sent here. As nice as it was now, it was death for many. The Russian Federation was trying to be proactive and correct these errors in judgment. End of lecture for now.

 

Using the coordinates Stan sent us for the mines and tunnels, we took roads and unexpected paths where there was almost no guided global positioning or routes to the entries. Colin had been right about the vehicle he chose to rent. It handled things very well. These entrances, or accesses weren't that far out of Asbest. The mine's inhabitants needed to get into Asbest on foot.

“They were right to choose here to live,” I said. “The bigger settlements and towns are West of here. There isn't much East of Asbest.”

Colin was looking at the surroundings and nodded. “They most likely made sure it was and stayed isolated.” He pointed to a mountainous and rocky slope. “The entrance is right over there. It doesn't seem to be more than just that. A way for one or two to get in and out.”

Like we had done in every place we went to we had teams looking for these accesses. I took a picture of this one and sent a message to the others about what we discovered at that point. We had to be careful to look like sightseers or hikers as we went. We had our satellite phones to keep the transmissions secure with the help of Buddy in Manhattan, England and Romania.

We looked for next access. There were five on the map. The Eastern side of Asbest had one, one West, and three North. Tonight we were venturing into some to see what resistance there would be from these people.

 

Colin was looking where he was going and looking at the map to make sure we didn't get lost. He stopped occasionally to do a more focused search of the screen. On the way back to the others something caught Colin's eye. “We're taking a little detour,” he announced suddenly and headed West.

I let out a short grunt and grabbed the “Oh, Shit” handle as he veered in a new direction. but Colin wouldn't tell me why. Soon we were back Yekaterinburg, but went to the West side of the city. Then I laughed when Colin pulled into a shopping center. In English or Russian, the woman in white inside the green circle said the same thing. Starbucks!! “And who do I talk to about your fixation?”

He grinned and shrugged. “I don't know.” He opened his door glancing at me. “Do you want some?”

I just shook my head at him but smiling. I wasn't refusing coffee or whatever, but he was so consistent and sometimes was unbelievable. “That's one problem solved.” I said getting out. “Let's go.”

 

The sun was almost set when we got back to The Golden Farms. We saw Mark, Stan, Chuck and Ellis taking the...not huge...CPU for Buddy from a cargo truck by hand. No lift in the back. Stan was directing them to be gentle as they lowered it to the ground. “Easy, easy.”

It was bigger than any desktop computer, but not a large as the CPU in Manhattan. This was the size of a small table for two with the black glass surface and invisible keyboard until you turned it on. I had once wondered why it was so big before, but then when I saw all those extras on it like the color printer, 3D scanner, that wand-looking thing Stan had scanned our eyes with...it made sense.

Mark growled at Stan. “It's flown thousands of miles...gone through turbulence and inspected by men less than gentle...we're being careful, Stan!”

Stan didn't let that go. “We need this, Mark.” His tone matched Mark's. “We have another we can get, but if something gets knocked off kilter and it crashes, who fixes it? You, Mr. Butterfingers?” He asked.

Mark smiled at his husband. “No. You can fix it. You always do.”

“And I'd prefer not to have to!” Stan shot back. “Thanks.”

Ellis chuckled. “Ya stood in fron' ov da judge and yur mates, swearin' ter love fawever!” He shook his head. “In fron' ov yaaahr muvvers!”

Mark's eyes grew. “Wait a minute. Just stop. Hold on a second.” He looked at Ellis. “What!?”

Ellis laughed even harder. “I said, you stood before the judge, friends and even your mothers swearing to love forever.” He said with an English accent but clearly understood.

Even Mark couldn't be angry with Ellis as he laughed, too. “I don't believe you. You're making this shit up!”

“I am not! Yer fun ter tease.”

“Guys! Please?” Stan said waving at the CPU. “Tonight?” He waved toward the house we had for us.

Colin walked up behind Stan chuckling at the banter. “We'll help you, Stan.”

 

With Buddy's placement to where Stan directed would work best. The living area was central to everyone and Stan began setting things up.

“I have a program running to sift through the thermal scans,” Stan began explaining to everyone including Mark. “Those vampires will be feeding soon. That's why I wanted this in quickly.” He plugged the CPU using what I guessed was a surge protector or adapter and turned it on. Kev brought in the large monitor with Edwin's help. “Buddy uses 220 volts even in the United states.” He pointed at the protector. “This is for more than to protect the computer and monitor. It keeps the power steady if the power drops a little and comes back. If we lose power, which we shouldn't on Asbest's improved power station, it keeps any surges down,” Stan began. “A vampire's body temperature is lower than the normal red-blooded human.” He looked at Colin and me. “Even lower on yours on the serum. It's not over ninety degrees for vampires. Yours is about ninety four. I have set up Buddy to sift through the different temps and locate, count and give a tally of vampires here. Not where they are here, but extrapolate a total.”

Deborah came in with her team which had Russ, Vlad, Gaius and Lucian. “But not how many in Asbest that aren't vampires that support the vampires here.”

The other teams were coming back to the Golden Farms to began watching people go in and out of those tunnels.

“No,” Stan replied, “but with the continued passing of the satellite it can count them all.” He got a chair nearby and brought it over sitting and began typing. “I would need a satellite dedicated to more focused time to do that accurately. The program will give the totals of both sets by taking in body mass volume versus body temp...”

“Stick to English, Stan.” Mark said using a tolerant tone.

“It will give total of traffic in the nearest approximation.” Stan replied. “With those continued scans it will give a better configuration of those tunnels over tunnels and I can generate a more detailed map of the network.”

“Great!” Colin stated happily and then frowned. “This program was running even if the was shut off?” There were things that even the smartest people didn't always get.

Stan smiled at Colin. “This CPU is just an extension of Buddy.” He did have a little of the tone of an adult explaining something complicated to a child. He was careful to not be condescending. “This CPU was turned off, but Buddy is always running.”

Colin rolled his eyes. “Sorry.”

“Are we talking about Skynet?” Dave asked joining us.

“Wha'?” Ellis asked.

Some of us were chuckling at that.

“It is another movie reference,” I said to Ellis. “The Terminator series and a computer system that went to war with the Human Race almost wiping us out.”

Dave nodded. “Great movies.” He said appreciatively.

Stan shook his head as he was chuckling. “No. Buddy's not like that.” He patted the CPU lightly as he worked. “I assume the blood is absorbed into the body slowly but will cause their body temperatures rise. At that time we'll get a better count.”

Lucian stepped up closer. “Depending on what's going on, they will be more prepared. As it is important to Yuri to have George here. Security will be ready, too.” He looked at the others. “They are confident in what they've done, but ready for a confrontation.”

Russ jutted his head in Lucian's direction. “He showed us an access that is much bigger than just a mine shaft entrance. They can move trucks in and out of this one. It's the most Northern access and had been a more contemporary mine.” He pointed as the map of the area around Asbest was shown. “It's just a mile or two above Rezh.” He pointed to a village or whatever about twenty miles North of Asbest. Suburbs in Russia? It used to be that most of the population lived in the cities. Cars were needed for there to be suburbs and only after the Soviets admitted defeat was that option available. People lived in a community in Rezh, but it was a lot smaller than Asbest. “It's on that map you sent us, Stan.” He looked at the others. “I was serving in the SAS (Special Air Service) when there was still a Soviet Union. We were taught as children to think positively, but they didn't do that. They prepared for the worst.” He thought quietly a moment. “We can't assume they won't find out we're here.”

“They can't know we're here. They haven't moved George to secure him. George is still broadcasting with his PDTU and they didn't have time to set anything up.” Mark shook his head. “This place isn't bugged. I checked.”

Russ nodded. “That you know of,” he pointed out. “Look at the situation. Shortly after they kidnapped George a large group now wonders around town made up of some Englishmen and Yanks!” His hands went out at what he saw as obvious.

“Doing what we said we were.” Kev added.

Russ nodded. “Working for a company based in the States.” Russ said. “Which you, Colin, are an investor now.” He looked at Colin. “Are you listed by name Delkenzie?”

“Not me but Holms' Laboratories.” Colin said.

“And Holms' Laboratories is owned and run by you and George Holms!” Russ stressed. “They were savvy enough to see the computer information. They knew about us and knew where to locate George. It won't take long before they figure it out. They will send people to check to what we're really up to.”

We were in the living area Stan had chosen to set up. People were gathering where they could to listen and be a part of the discussion.

My attention was gotten by my mother. She had been looking around casually, but now was looking a little more intently. Straining to see behind people and back behind her. Stepping forward Mom looked even more. “John?” She asked loud. “John Burke!” She called again. Turning to us. “Where is John Burke?”

We had come back and slowly had gathered together, but we were all here now, but no John.

“Does anyone know where John is?” Mom asked everyone.

Everyone was now was looking around themselves and moving slightly to see if they could spot him.

Remembering when John had left during the conference with scientists, I felt an icy dagger pierce my heart and took Colin's hand. “No,” I said in a near whisper. “He wouldn't.”

“Who was with him today?” Colin asked. “He didn't go to town or help us search. Who saw him last?”

Wayne looked crestfallen. “Amasis and I were with him. He didn't go anywhere. He said he preferred to rest for when we did go to get George.”

Several left to search the house and rooms when Mom had called for John. Amasis came back and said. “He had been asleep not but a few hours ago! His room and bed are empty and I couldn't find him anywhere in the house.”

With sudden urgency Stan's fingers moved over Buddy's glass top. The monitor came up with the map of the world with locations of the PDTUs as red dots. Stan kept typing and we watched as one indicator was moving away from the group of our dots. The name John was next to the one moving red dot. He was almost through Asbest as it headed toward an access on the West side of town.

“What is he doing??” Dave asked in horror as he waved at the monitor. “We are here to get George!”

“He's threatening to reveal us and why we're here!” Deborah nodded. “He'll get himself and us killed!”

I walked toward the center of the room and was waving them all down to stop the conversations. “Yes, he is.” I looked at the traveling dot. “He must have used up his patience. He's been borderline with that, so far.” I shrugged. “I guess he couldn't wait anymore.”

“Now, before we get upset with John,” Colin began. “Losing that someone special like this makes everyone a little crazy with desperation.”

I turned to Russ. “This is changing our tactics.”

“We will now need to move quickly.” Russ nodded. “A quick infiltration and withdrawal.” He shook his head. “But we don't have any weapons other than to use on the vampires.”

Stan chuckled, “But they do.” He typed quickly again and a map of the tunnels came up. He pointed to a chamber off of one corridor. “This chamber is on a corridor on the North side of Asbest. I'm almost one hundred percent positive it is an armory.”

“Why?” Ellis asked.

“Because of the reinforcements.” Stan replied typing again. The chamber grew in size. “Buddy had trouble seeing it. These dense fortifications would withstand a sizable explosion.” He turned to us again. “It's the only chamber they have like that. It just makes makes sense.”

“I can take you there!” Lucian blurted quickly. “I know where it is!”

Mark made a low growl. “You understand why we don't rally around that idea.”

“You taking us where there are weapons...?” Chuck added.

Lucian said, “I know. Take whatever precautions you deem necessary, but I need to do something to prove myself!”

Everyone seemed to wait for someone to say something for a few seconds.

I turned asked, “Colin?”

Colin was looking at Lucian, seemingly trying to mentally penetrate Lucian's mind and soul with his gaze. “I sense his sincerity.” He said slowly. His eyes narrowed. “Lucian. Given any opportunity, will you betray us?”

“NO!!!” Lucian replied quickly and looked at me. “I told you, Devon...there are men here responsible for Iilya! He was groomed and conditioned to be the man you met. He was tortured and abused. I want to help!” He nodded. “I will admit, I'm hoping some of them will die. I wouldn't mind being the one to do that. Believe me!”

Colin nodded. “He's telling the truth.”

“I am!” Lucian urged.

Colin nodded. “I believe you, but understand...some of us will need more convincing.” Colin pointed at the others. “They won't hesitate to kill you if you step out of line.”

“Understood.” Lucian said.

“My suggestion,” Amasis began, “we try to stop John...go in and get George and get out. Now.”

“Agreed.” Russ agreed.

Colin leaned toward me and muttered and I knew he wasn't serious. “If he lives through this and is safe. I'm going to kill John.”

Copyright © 2018 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Love 15
  • Wow 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

…And in this case John = @R. Eric!
;–)

You know you would be just as impatient as John! You wouldn’t be able to wait if your husband had been kidnapped. You’d go even if you knew you didn’t have a plan other than to just rush out there to be with him. Even though your military training said to wait and plan a mission…
;–)

Link to comment
5 hours ago, droughtquake said:

…And in this case John = @R. Eric!
;–)

You know you would be just as impatient as John! You wouldn’t be able to wait if your husband had been kidnapped. You’d go even if you knew you didn’t have a plan other than to just rush out there to be with him. Even though your military training said to wait and plan a mission…
;–)

That's it exactly.   Colin and Devon understood that.  :yes:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Outstanding chapter! The entire rescue team has finally arrived and as they are preparing the plan, John goes into the stronghold on his own because his patience ran out. I’m definitely looking forward to the next chapter! 😃❤️

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..