Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 10,762 Words
  • 2,772 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Preachers' Sons - 4. Chapter 4

Elias and Eric get married!! Well, as much as you could in the 1980s. Committed. Eric's business takes off. Then, tragedy hits! OH, THE AGONY!!

We decided on the second weekend in June for the ceremony and we invited all the family. Both of us knew most of our family would not come. But we had invitations made up and sent. A lovely beach on the western side of the island was where it was happening because of a gorgeous sunset. And we asked Brandi, Sharon, Thao, and Mike to stand as our….I don’t know, gentlemen and ladies of honor? Then I got word, my sister, Steve and Jonathan were coming. We had to include them. That was at the first of the year, planning that.

 

I never did this before. Lose track of time because of work. But I was so close! I was preparing to put my tea-sodas out to sell in large quantities. I was working on the mix. It had to be the right amount of tea, once I determined which tea and fruit juice and how much of each. Aunt Tessa was interested, but not about this part. Then I heard him.

“Is Eric still here?” I recognized Elias’ voice. I looked at my watch. It was after five!

“I tell him go home. He no listen. You get husband.” Aunt Tessa told him a little annoyed. “He in back. I need close!”

I walked out front. “Eli, I am so sorry.” I began as I watched Elias look over the store. He never shopped, so it had been a while since he’d been there. He looked at the Coffee Station where we brewed the coffee and tea for customers and the sitting area they could sit in which hadn’t been there before for him to see. “I got tunneled into what I’m doing. Come on, I’ll show you.” I waved him toward me.

“You did this?” Elias asked about the Coffee Station.

I nodded. “I’m having to hire some more help to run it when I’m not here.” I took his hand and led him back to the old carbonation machine. “I think I’ve got it.” I pointed to the machine. I had some cooling I had finished. “First. Do this.” I moved the bottle upside down and right side up again gently. “That gets the mix right. It is carbonated, so a fast shake will cause it to spew.” Then I gave him the tea-soda bottle. “Try this.”

Elias chuckled. “I’m the genie pig again?” But he took a sip. His eyes grew and he held the bottle back. “Damn! That’s good!!” He drank again. “What is that? Raspberry?”

“Yes! It is!” I laughed. “Organic and fresh juice.” I pointed to the machine. “First I brew the tea and mix the juice and tea. Then I carbonate the mix! I think I’ve got it.”

He drank again. “Crisp like a soda, but not as heavy and it has the sparkle and not sugary sweet, but sweet all the same.” He looked at the bottle. “It’s your creation. How are you marketing it?”

I grinned. “I couldn’t have done it without Aunt Tessa’s connections and inventory. The Apothecary is a name most islanders know and recognize.” I shrugged. “So, the Apothecary Tea-Soda?”

Elias nodded. “Put your name first.” He kissed me. “Eric’s Apothecary Tea-Soda.”

“I worked out the raspberry, and I’ve almost gotten the cherry one. The pineapple I’m still working on…”

“Tomorrow!” Aunt Tessa came in suddenly and demanded impatiently. “Work tomorrow. Home, now!”

“Okay, okay,” I said with a chuckle. “I’m going.” I kissed her on the cheek. “Love you.”

She smiled. “Yea, yea, go home with husband. Have life.” She all but pushed us out the door.

Elias chuckled as he picked up the umbrella he left beside the door. It had rained all day and the day before and before. Now it was drizzling. “Let’s go get something to eat out.” He suggested and we began heading in the opposite direction of home. “To celebrate your success.” He kissed me. “You have done amazing things. I know you’ll do wonderfully.”

I loved the praise. “I hope so.” Then I grinned. “I’ve changed a lot. I still want my degree, but you will always be the top priority, then business and then school.”

“You still do want the degree.” He wanted to confirm.

“Sure. If it takes me longer, that’s okay. I really love what I’m doing now.” I said to assure him.

He nodded. “I’m glad you do.”

 

It was a few weeks later, I noticed Elias came home dragging. Like he had just enough energy to bring his bike in and slouch on the sofa.

“Eli?” I asked a little alarmed. “Are you alright?”

He smiled weakly. “I’m just tired.” He explained. “Do you mind if I skip dinner? I’m beat. I think I’ll just go to bed.”

That did alarm me, but I just nodded. “Sure. It’ll keep until tomorrow.” I knew he wasn’t feeling well, but Elias never took so much as an aspirin if he could help it.

And that’s what he did. It was morning when I woke up hot. I was sweating. Then I heard labored breathing. The sound of wet congestion. I rolled over, Elias was like a furnace. I felt his forehead.

“Oh, Baby, you’re sick!” I said and ran to the bathroom.

“I’ll be okay,” Elias said weakly. “I just need to get going.”

I came back with a thermometer. “I don’t think so, open up.”

“I’m fine.”

“Open up or I’m putting it somewhere else! I’m taking your temperature!” I demanded, determined not to take no for an answer.

Even sick his eyes grew, knowing I wasn’t kidding. “Fine.” He opened his mouth and I put it under his tongue, knowing him, I waited to make sure he didn’t take it out and tell me he was fine. I noticed he was pulling the covers closer as if he were cold, and when I took the thermometer out, I knew why.

“One hundred and two,” I reported. “You are sick. I should take you to the doctor.” I pointed at him.

He shook his head. “It’s the flu. It’s been going around campus. I must have gotten it there. I’ll be fine.” He pushed the covers off.

“Keep your butt in that bed!” I said firmly pulling the covers back up and pushed him back down gently. “After you call Katherine and tell her to get someone to cover your classes.”

“I don’t want to do that!” Elias wailed.

“I don’t want you to be sick, but you are.” I countered. I picked up the phone we got by the bed and held the phone out to him. “So either you call or I will.”

“I need to go in,” Elias complained.

“Damn it, I will call. You know I will.” I handed him the phone with more firmness and I dialed. He began grumbling which I ignored.

“Hello, Dr. Moody,” Elias said and I heard his sick voice, and so did Katherine. “Yes, I’m sick. I have the flu. Eric said I have a temperature of 102. He told me either I call or he would. He even cussed.” I heard the laughter on the other end. “I know, he almost never does that. I guess he loves me or something.” He smiled. “Okay. I’ll be in touch.” He hung up.

“You guess I love you?” I smirked. “Fancy that.” I picked the phone back up and dialed. “Hey, Aunt Tessa. Elias has a bad case of the flu. I’m staying with him. Besides, I’ll get it next and I can’t risk spreading flu there.” Then she asked me what his symptoms were exactly and told me she’d be right over. I hung up. “Aunt Tessa to the rescue.”

Elias nodded and rolled over again. Aunt Tessa rode a small motor scooter when she had to go somewhere and it wasn’t long before I heard the putt of her engine. I opened the door.

“You and Elias take this.” She held up a gallon jug of clear liquid and a paper bag. “In here is jar of powder. You boil this.” She held up the jug. “Mix powder in it. It kind of bitter, so I brought cinnamon and sugar or honey, which I also supplied, you add butter or milk if you like. Make Elias drink one fast as he can, then another slowly. The powder is good medicine. Make him sweat out fever and flu. You do it too, after Elias take his. Do this every six hours. We get rid of flu in no time.”

I took the gallon jug and opened it, sniffing. It was very pungent! “Whoa!” I held it away. “What is this!? Moonshine?”

She shrugged. “It could be. Remember, one cup of liquid, two tablespoons of powder. Every six hours. This cure go back thousands of years in Japan. It work. I promise.”

I shrugged with a chuckle. “So, I get him and me drunk. Okay. Thanks, Aunt Tessa.” Alcohol was often in cold and flu medications. I almost went to her to hug her and stopped. “I’ve got the germs too, so…”

She nodded. “I leave here.” She put the medicine down and left.

 

Elias was a wonderful person, as you probably heard me say once or twice. He is brilliant and kind. He has the child side to him, but he was just a pitiful child when sick. I prepared the noxious mixture as instructed. I got him up long enough to give it to him and tucked him back in bed. Then took my own medicine. By the end of the second mug, I was drunk. Snockered, shitfaced. I collapsed back in bed, but loved that Elias’ breathing had eased and he was sweating. The fever was breaking. “Till death do us part.” I quoted to the sleeping Elias and kissed him gently on his sweaty temple and lay next to him. It took three days instead of the week or more for Elias to kick the flu and I didn’t get it at all, which surprised me.

 

Back to our routines and business. The Coffee Station was not only flourishing but boomed! And my tea-sodas began selling like hotcakes with the students and then others in Hilo! I had to hire someone else for The Coffee Station and one more for the tea-sodas. Three new employees in total.

“You do good business.” Aunt Tessa said one day. “I may have to expand.”

I looked at her confused. “That’s good isn’t it?”

She shook her head. “No. I want retire. It’ll be your business soon. I sell to you.”

I looked at her alarmed. “You can’t retire, Aunt Tessa! You’re too young.”

She smiled. “I was once. Not now. The Apothecary was good idea. My husband wanted to do like you, expand. Soon, I sell to you.” She patted my arm. “You are staying in Hawaii, right?”

“For now.” I nodded. “I don’t know what Elias’ long term plans are.”

“He not going to leave. You see.” She assured.

 

The Commitment Ceremony was fast approaching and I had a lot to plan! We were having a Wedding Luau. Okay, a Commitment Luau, there were the dancers to arrange and what we were feeding the people that came. I was stunned when I realized most of the faculty Elias worked with and I knew were coming. How many I didn’t know yet. And Aunt Tessa and a date…I couldn’t wait to meet him. I sat with Elias as we were planning.

“I want those dancers with those flaming whirly things and the girls with the skirts and….” Elias was saying.

“We should have Thao here. He’d know what to use and what they’re called.” I said simply but watched Elias.

“We can find out without him,” Elias said easily, but a little stiffly.

I turned his face to me and kissed him, very passionately and then held him back. “I love you. And what I’m going to say, I’m not bothered or worried that you would ever leave me. Okay?” I said. “He was the one that you kissed and you let suck your dick, wasn’t he?”

Elias looked a little panicked. “I never came!”

I kissed him again. “I know. I believe you. It wouldn’t matter if you had cum. You love me. I know that. But you two are walking on eggshells around each other since we got here and you returned. I thought you two would at least be friends. He’s still in love with you.”

Elias was very uncomfortable now. “He is?”

“I saw that day one,” I said. I placed my forehead against his. “I’m not jealous…” then I stopped. “Well a little that I wasn’t there, but you didn’t know about me then.” I looked at him. “So why didn’t it happen between you two?”

Elias got up and began pacing. “You know when I lost my virginity. You were there!” He turned to me. “He lost his at thirteen! Thirteen! Do you know how many people he’d been with before he and I even met? He doesn’t know! He lost count! I know when you lost yours, with me! It had meaning. I didn’t want to be just another person he got his rocks off with.”

I pulled Elias back down. “I get it. That’s why I pushed you away that night. I wanted to have meaning, too.” Then I caressed his face. “Stop stressing about it. I’m not mad or upset. We’re planning our Commitment. I know you mean it. Relax.”

Elias sighed. “I’m mad because I was weak.”

I sat up straighter. “You most certainly are not weak!” I said firmly. “You were human. We have needs. You didn’t give in but didn’t let him finish either. Believe me. I love you. But can’t the friendship survive? I’ll understand if you say no, but…is it fair?”

“No. It isn’t fair. But I don’t want to lead him on, nor do I want to hurt him.” Elias said in almost a whine.

“His Aunt hired me, based on Thao’s recommendation. He helped us get this apartment.” I said. “Doesn’t he deserve a chance?”

Elias sighed again. “Okay. But we tell him you know.”

He was an honest straightforward man. “I’ll tell him. If he needs to blame anyone, it can be me. He can be angry with me.”

Elias shook his head. “He won’t blame you.”

I chuckled. “No, he wouldn’t. He has to know how easily a person would fall in love with you. What was it? A day, a week for us? We just held off to make love.”

Elias kissed me. “And we haven’t looked back or regretted it.”

 

It took a little persuasion on my part, but Thao agreed to come for dinner that Friday night. According to Aunt Tessa, he loved Hawaiian Chicken Stew, so that’s what I made. Elias was helping set the table when Thao appeared at our door and knocked.

“Hi, Buddy.” Elias greeted and opened the door.

Thao smiled back. “Hi, Elias.” He entered and again, I saw Thao not look at Elias long. He smiled at me. “Hi, Eric.”

“How are you, Thao?” I asked.

“Curious,” Thao answered. “I’m grateful for the invitation, but what do you need?”

“I wanted to thank you,” I said sincerely. “You helped get this great apartment, and it was your recommendation that got me the job with Aunt Tessa.”

He smiled a little shyly. “I just wanted to help out.”

“And since you’re standing up with us at our Commitment.” I continued. “I think a special thank you is in order.”

The dark skinned man flushed. “I’m happy to.”

I cocked my head. “It must be hard, to stand up and witness a man you love committing to another person.”

Thao looked stunned. “What!?”

Elias just looked at Thao. “Are you in love with me?”

Thao looked like he was about to run.

“Stop!” I said firmly. “This isn’t anything like an accusation or am I really jealous,” I explained. “Personally, it shows what a great man of character you are. I don’t know if I could stand up and watch a man I loved basically marry someone else. I suspected you were in love with Elias the first day we met. And I suspect you do now.”

“I would never try to come between you!” Thao assured. “Never!”

I nodded. “I get that,” I said softly. “But you were the one that has kissed him before me and you even sucked a very personal part of Elias.”

Thao turned to Elias. “You told him!?”’

Elias nodded. “Of course.” He answered. “Bit by bit, he knows everything about me.”

“It didn’t mean anything.” Thao defended. “I was trying to comfort him.”

I nodded. “But you did love him.”

“Of course I did!” Thao defended again. “We were living together and over the years, I fell in love with him.”

Elias nodded. “But that night, I had just had a bad phone call from my father. He was more than just a little condescending than usual. I was depressed.”

“And I took advantage of that!” Thao added. “You were at a low point, more than I had seen in all those years. I took advantage of that…and you.” Now Thao was all but pacing. “For weeks after I did…that.” He waved at Elias. “I felt like I raped you!”

Elias’ eyes grew. “You didn’t rape me.”

“But you didn’t want it!” Thao argued. “Hell, you barely got a hard-on!”

“And if I had given in, what number would I have been?” Elias put. “Can you give a number? Sex is great. I love it! But that’s what it would have been if I had given in. Just sex!” Elias stated firmly. “For years I watched you bring date after date through our room. Three I know you had sex with because I heard it in the bed across the room! Can’t you understand that isn’t what I wanted? When Eric and I finally got together, we made love. And there is no doubt in my mind that he does love me. He really does! And I love him. I am the only one that he’s ever had sex with and he’s the only one I’ve had sex with. It had meaning. Can you understand that?”

Thao looked like he was about to cry. “I do. God, I do. But I was in love with you.”

“Maybe you were,” Elias said. “A little more than any of the rest, but if we’d gotten together, I would always worry there’d be someone else. I have no doubts about Eric.” He walked over to Thao. “I don’t judge you. Neither does Eric. You’re a good, good friend. You’re kind and considerate. And like Eric said, a man of good character. You’re honest. Now, be honest. Would we have lasted?”

Thao was now in tears. “Probably not.” He shook his head.

“I want to spend my life with the one man I love.” Elias urged. “It’s like…we were made for each other. We fit!”

Thao nodded. “I know.” He sighed. “But I still feel like I raped you, Elias. I made it a point to help you any way I could after that. That night, you didn’t want it. You didn’t want me.”

Elias smiled. “You don’t give yourself enough credit. You are a good man. There will be someone out there for you if you look. When it happens, it will blow your mind.” Then he put his hand on Thao’s shoulder. “I love having you as a friend. I love you but as a friend. I hope we can get that friendship back.”

“And if you could…” I smiled. “Help me with the Commitment Luau. I have no idea what I’m doing.”

Thao wiped his face and laughed. “You’re too Haole.”

I grinned. “So I understand.” I knew the term for mainlander with Hawaiians. “That’s why we need your help.”

Thao nodded. “Sure. No problem.” Then he grinned. “I will miss those kisses, he was the best person I’ve ever kissed.”

I smiled. “Well, I take that well. I really don’t have that much to compare with, so I’ll take that as validation for what I suspected that he was. He is good.” Then my eyes narrowed. “But if you try it again. I’ll hurt you.”

Thao’s eyes widened and backed up a little.

“I’d take that seriously.” Elias cautioned good-naturedly. “He’s a Southerner. Just a little more than a red-neck. He could do it.”

Thao nodded. “I don’t doubt he would.”

I motioned to the pot I prepared. “Now, get a whiff of this.” I opened the steaming pot and waved the steam in his direction. A sweet pineapple smell and didn't smell at all savory, but sweet. This was Hawaiian Chicken Stew. Pineapples and Mango, and coconut.

Thao grinned. “I thought I recognized the scent.”

“Aunt Tessa said it was your favorite,” I said hopefully.

Thao clapped his hands in anticipation. “Love it. I hope you made a lot. I’ll want seconds…maybe thirds.”

I laughed. “I made plenty.”

 

Things did even out. Elias and Thao no longer walked on eggshells around each other and were friends again. The truth was, I suspected Thao’s feelings were boosted because Elias rejected him as a lover. You know the fish that got away thing? It’s often bigger than it really was and often got bigger the more it’s told about.

 

The Luau was going well, planning-wise. Elias and I picked out wedding rings at a local jeweler.

“I like the design of this,” Elias said about a band with width. “It would look great for a man.”

I nodded. “Can I ask for something a little more unique?” I shrugged. “You know? Just for us?”

The man behind the counter was smiling. Clearly he was gay. Too pleased to be selling to us. “I’ll craft whatever you two decide on.” Then he broke out a sketch pad. “So, the width is good. How about a little something on the side. What has meaning to you?”

I looked at Elias. “Well, our lives really started here. In Hawaii.”

Elias shrugged. “Hawaii was formed by volcanos. Fire?”

I grinned. “And despite what others feel, I think our love was ordained by God.”

Elias smiled. “I agree. But is there a symbol for God? Not a cross, but for God?”

“Well, there’s the dove that God sent to Jesus. How about a dove?” I suggested.

The man grinned. “So, a dove with a ring of fire around the ring?” He did a quick sketch. “Over white gold, ringed in black and the dove and fire in the white gold to shine?”

I liked the design. “That’s perfect!” Then I pointed. “Can the inside of each have each other’s’ names? And say….forever in them?”

The man grinned. “Absolutely.” Then he looked at us with a smile. “You two are so precious. Clearly, some divine power is responsible.”

Elias chuckled. “I believe that.”

Then I saw some earrings. I saw a set that was Ying and Yang. The black on white. I picked them up. “What about these?” I showed them to Elias.

His eyes grew surprised. “Earrings!?”

I shrugged. “Well, we are doing a nontraditional thing. So, why not a nontraditional symbol of engagement? Engagement earrings.” I held them up to my ear.

Elias chuckled. “What the hell. It’s too late to shock our parents anymore.” He gave them to the man behind the counter. “Will it hurt?”

The man smiled. “Not at all.” He assured. “I have a gun.”

“Gun!?” Elias sat back.

“It’s what I use to shoot the posts in.” The man chuckled. “It’ll be so quick, you won’t feel it. I promise.” Then he grinned. “So, who’s the submissive?”

I frowned. “Neither.”

“Then the right side is for both of you.” He said. “It does say that you’re gay.”

Elias nodded. “Good enough.”

“I’ll go first.” I volunteered. And the man was right. He cleaned my ear, and with a quick “pop” the post was in and the earring put in place. I didn’t feel a thing. Then Elias.

Elias was chuckling as we walked home, again hand in hand.

“What?” I asked.

He shook his head. “I can’t wait for Mom and Dad to see pictures. You and I are breaking all the rules.” He flipped his earring quickly.

I nodded. “Well, in for a penny, in for a pound.”

 

There were finals to worry about along with the planning. And Elias had to do both. He not only had to take his own finals and but give his students theirs. He was busy! I was the one that was having to do most of the planning. What we were serving at the Luau and the entertainment! I was getting a little harried! Elias was understanding though. Like one evening he came home, his hands full of envelopes.

“Hi, Honey.” He greeted walking in as I sat at the table surrounded by papers. “More RSVPs.” He handed them to me.

I looked up. “Is there no one in Hawaii not coming!? I think all of the University plan to attend, and I mean all the faculty and students want to come, the faculty is all invited. I don’t think there’s one professor or assistant professor not coming! Even the Dean!”

Elias’ one eyebrow rose. “That’s good, right?”

Then I began to almost rant. “And so far, I’ve gotten some with allergies to fish, some for nuts…so planning the menu is difficult. We’ll have to make sure they roast two pigs at least. One is not going to be enough. And I don’t care if they tell me, try poi, you’ll like it. Well, I did and I don’t.”

Elias chuckled. “Easy there, cowboy. I said I’d help.”

“You can’t!” I said, then raised my hands to stop him. “It’s not your fault. You have a workload you can barely maintain. If you’re not studying for your own finals, you’re grading papers of your own students and preparing to give them their finals! You can’t and I wouldn’t dream of asking you.”

He sat at the table with me. “And what about your finals?”

“If I see another theorem, I’ll scream!” I said. “I hate math. Science isn’t bad, I’m confident I’ll do well there. But I’m going out of my mind! And there’s the wedding clothing. Choosing who’s wearing what…” I knew I was ranting faster. But he leaned in and kissed me gently, lingering as I calmed down.

“Easy,” Elias said gently. “Easy. You’re doing great.” Then he smiled. “I know the ceremony will be spectacular.”

I sighed. “I hope so.” Then I looked at the time. “God, I didn’t even make dinner!”

He kissed me again. “It’s okay. We’ll go out, or order in. We’ll do fine.” Then he put his briefcase down and the letters. He held one up. “We’re now officially each other’s power of attorney.” He opened the open envelope. There were two cards, one with my name on it for Elias and one for Elias with my name on it. “One more step to being legally married.”

I smiled, taking the card I would need for him. “It took them long enough.”

Elias shrugged a nod. “Well, progress takes time. While here, all we need is the card. If we go mainland, we need the paperwork. But it’s done.” He pointed to the card for me. “See? I’m your next of kin.” He stood up. “I won’t work on a thing tonight, it’s all about us.” He grinned. “How about we make love, order something to eat and make love again?”

I couldn’t help but grin at that. “I like that idea.”

He chuckled. “I thought you might.” Then he pulled me up. “I love you, Eric.”

Kissing was so easy with him now, it was a habit I never wanted to break. “I love you, Elias.”

 

Finals were done. And graduation coming for the seniors. Brandi and Sharon helped with the planning on what we were wearing. Thao helped by telling us what was traditional in Hawaiian culture.

“The groom is supposed to wear white, the pants and shirt. There is a sash worn by the groom, I guess you two can do that.” He pointed at Elias and me.

“We have the sarongs picked out for the ladies,” I said. “Blue for Brandi, yellow for Sharon, green for Lynn. The guys will have the same colors only with their shirts, also has the design on those shirts. We’ll need to have Lynn, Steve and Jonathan sized….”

“They’ll fit,” Thao said again. “They’re loose shirts.”

“And Jonathan is a football player, he may be bigger now.” I countered. “We need to be sure.”

“Let him worry,” Elias said to Thao calmly. “He will anyway.”

I frowned. “I’m not worrying. There has to be a plan for things to go as planned.”

Elias nodded. “I know.” He kissed me. “Not even God will mess the plans up. He’d be too scared.”

Sharon shook her head looking at the menu. “Is there nothing that isn’t on the menu?” She asked.

“We’ve over two hundred coming to the ceremony,” I said. “I wanted to be sure we had enough.”

Sharon nodded still reading the menu. “Wow, my sister married a few years ago, and I thought she was thorough. She wasn’t even close to being up with your standards.”

Elias jumped to my defense. “Guys! He wants it to be perfect for us. I think he did an amazing job. And I hate to say it, he did mostly by himself.” Then he put his arms around me and said directly to me. “I just want you to enjoy it. Not just plan it.”

I grinned. “Aunt Tessa is coordinating. I have no doubt things will happen on time and as planned.”

Elias nodded. “Well, there we go. If she’s in charge, we’re good.” He ran a hand through his hair. “I need a haircut.” Then he glanced at me. “Think I should shave?” He ran fingers through his short beard which he used a special razor to keep at that three or four days’ growth.

My eyes grew. “Don’t you dare!” I said stated. “I’ve never known you without some facial hair. You don’t shave anything. Got it?”

He held his hands up in surrender. “Okay. I won’t. I swear.”

“When it starts to turn gray, you might, it will shave a good ten years off, but now, no,” I said firmly.

“Okay.” Elias grinned. “I got it.” Then he smiled. “No shoes at the wedding?”

I smiled back. “No shoes.”

Elias did a victory pump with his arm. “Yes.”

 

Lynn, Steve, and Jonathan were coming that Wednesday before the wedding and we were at the airport to greet them. Elias had rented a four-wheeler SUV to take us around while they were here. Again, it was evening when the plane arrived and we watched as the passengers got off. My sister came off, an arm in each brothers arm as they unloaded.

“I was right,” I said to Elias. “Jonathan is bigger.”

Elias nodded. “We don’t know where he came from. He must be a mutation.” He joked. “Blonde, big…he’s a real lady’s man.”

“He’s got the Jonas face. So he’s from the same parents.”

My sister was the first to spot Elias and me and screamed in excitement and rushed over hugging me. Then Elias.

“It’s so good to see you!” Lynn said happily, then took a look at me and froze. “Oh, my god!” She touched my right ear. “An earring!?” Then she shook her head. “I can’t wait to show Dad this.”

“He’s got one too.” Steve pointed to Elias and then hugged his brother, as did Jonathan.

“I think it looks cool,” Jonathan said smiling broadly. Then he grinned. “Think I should get one?”

“Just be certain of the side.” Elias cautioned with a grin. “You could send the wrong signal.”

“Do you want to be thrown out?” Steve asked Jonathan. “Do that and I swear Dad will throw you out.” Then he looked at Elias. “You sure are tan! Both of you.”

Lynn nodded. “I hope to get a little before we head home, too.”

I nodded. “But for now, we’ll get you to the hotel and then get something to eat,” I said. “We’ve got a lot planned for tomorrow and Friday.”

“How’s the surfing?” Jonathan asked Elias. “I’d love to catch a few waves.”

Elias nodded. “You’ll have plenty of time after Saturday. And it’s great.” He motioned for them to follow.

But Steve stopped, making us also stop. “I still don’t believe it,” Steve said flatly.

Elias and I stopped. “Don’t believe what?” Elias asked.

Steve pointed at us. “That you two are…you know.”

Elias nodded. “Ah, that.” Then he grinned at me. “Do you mind showing him?”

“He’ll see it later, but sure.” I pulled Elias down and kissed him passionately which Elias returned willingly and eagerly.

Steve shook his head. “On the mouth and everything.”

“Mom and Dad don’t even kiss like that,” Jonathan said.

“Well, we’re here,” Steve stated logically. “We know they did something. It’s just that, I couldn’t believe it when he said he was gay! Nothing about his says he is. Nor with Eric. Like Kyle at church, anyone knows he’s gay from his mannerisms.”

Elias chuckled. “Well, that kiss is the only thing you’ll see to prove I am. Or Eric.” He grinned. “Let’s get your luggage.”

Lynn took my arm as we went to get the luggage from the carousel. “I for one wasn’t too surprised. You were always…a little different.” Then she held her hand up. “Not bad, but you were so….perfect. Frankly, I’m jealous as hell! You have the most gorgeous man I’ve seen not only says he loves you to you, but it was said nationally on the news which he never denied and willing to say it again in a ceremony in front of hundreds!”

I grinned. “Well, that news story was not a planned thing.”

“Of course not.” Lynn nodded. “But he stuck by you. I wish I had that.”

I frowned. “I’m not going to tell you how to live your life, but what’s wrong with waiting for the right guy?”

“How do you know he’s right?” Lynn asked. “When I gave in the first time, I was sure I found the right guy.”

“Did he wait?” I asked knowing the answer.

“Of course not.”

I nodded. “There’s your answer. Elias and I waited eight months.”

She sighed. “And I didn’t wait eight minutes. I know, I’m stupid.”

I frowned at her poor self-esteem. “You claim to be. But I know you’re not. Give yourself some credit.”

“You look happy,” Lynn said.

“That’s because I am.”

 

We met them the next morning and showed them our apartment where Sharon, Brandi, Mike, and Thao were going to meet us. We were talking when Brandi and Sharon came over.

“Damn it!” Brandi said again as she did meeting us the first time. “Two more gorgeous men, obviously related to you Elias and one even blonde!”

Sharon shook her head. “And the blond is jailbait. Why do you always leave out the important part? Like Eric and Elias being gay. You left that out when pointing them out.” She pointed to Jonathan. “How old are you?”

“Fifteen.”

Sharon threw both arms toward him. “See? Not even the age of consent in most states.”

Brandi shrugged. “And now I have a boyfriend.” She stuck her lip out.

“Lynn, Steve, and Jonathan.” I started. “This is Sharon Brooks and Brandi Weir. Our good friends and next door neighbors.”

Yep, Steve and Jonathan were straight as their tongues nearly fell out seeing Brandi. Then as if on cue, Mike walked in wearing his uniform who stopped at the door.

“You’re under arrest!” He said walking up to Brandi.

“On what charge, officer?” Brandi grinned.

“Theft.” Mike took her arm and got his handcuffs out.

“Theft!? What did I take?” Brandi asked.

“My heart.” Mike grinned kissing her.

Elias chuckled. “In case you failed to notice. Brandi’s boyfriend is a cop. This is Mike Duncan. He’s a great friend, too.”

Brandi looked a little worried. “Sweetie, I thought you were coming with us.”

Mike nodded. “I am. I just need to change.”

Brandi looked worried still. “But you worked last night? We’re gonna be gone all day.”

Mike kissed her again. “I’ll be fine, Baby.”

Sharon groaned and walked to Steve. “How old are you?”

“Nineteen,” Steve replied.

“You’re legal. All this love crap get’s a little much.” Sharon said sardonically. “Can I pretend? Or do you have a girlfriend?”

“Well, there is Tina at school.” Steve grinned.

“If he gets the courage to ask her out first, that is.” Jonathan laughed.

Steve frowned. “Jonathan! You are such a pain in the butt.”

Jonathan shrugged. “I don’t know why you’re being shy. She likes you!”

“Are you seeing someone, Jonathan?” Elias grinned.

“Heather.” Jonathan opened his wallet. “See?” He pulled a photo out and gave it to her brother.

Elias’ eyes widened. “She’s very pretty.” He grinned.

“I’m surprised you noticed,” Steve smirked.

Elias fixed a glare on his brother. “Are you trying to be a pain in the ass? It’s working.”

“Being gay doesn’t mean we can’t judge whether a person is attractive or not,” I explained. “Brandi is gorgeous, so is Sharon and we both know they’re attractive. Just not to us.”

“There isn’t an unattractive person in this room,” Elias said as Thao came in. “Until now.” He grinned.

“Are you guys ready to see my island home?” Thao asked happily.

“We’ll need your jeep, Honey,” Brandi told Mike.

“So, you, Thao and Sharon can ride with me. I’ll change and we’ll go from there.” Mike advised.

 

Thao turned out to be a wonderful tour guide. We went to the Hawaiian Volcanos National Park. Drove by some great beaches and the beach the Ceremony was being held.

“Snow?” Jonathan asked to be sure he heard right. “In Hawaii.”

“On Mauna Kea. Every winter.” Thao nodded. “There’s even a lodge up there. No grooms, but you can rent skis.”

“Ski in the morning and rest on the beach in the afternoon.” Lynn marveled. “Who can beat that?” She put her arm in Thao’s arm.

Elias looked at me and without saying a word. I got the question. “She can find out on her own. She’s not any different. He’s good looking and she’s very pretty, so?”

“Does she sleep with women, too?” Elias asked.

I shrugged. “I don’t want to know.”

Elias just rolled his eyes. I had to agree.

“We’re getting married.” Elias would sometimes say as the day approached. He put his forehead against mine.

I grinned. “Yeah, we are.”

 

The next day after I picked up Lynn and Elias’ brothers we stopped by the Apothecary. Walking in Aunt Tessa zeroed in on me.

“No.” She shook her head. “I give you time off. You no take?”

I grinned at her kissing her on the cheek. “I’m here as a customer,” I said, waving at the girl I hired for the Coffee Station. “This is my sister, Lynn, this is Elias’ brothers, Steve and Jonathan.”

She beamed at our siblings. “I can’t keep him away! Does good business, great! I just making sure he remember he getting married.” She pointed to the Coffee Station and the many bottles of tea-soda. “This all his business.”

Lynn shook her head. “His business?”

I shrugged. “Aunt Tessa had the contacts and inventory, I just use it.”

“It shames my selling ad space on phone book covers,” Steve admitted.

“He business genius.” Aunt Tessa swore. “All this he creat,.” She pointed to the tea-sodas. “It very good.”

Lynn touched several of the bottles. “Eric’s Tea-soda?” She read the label. “Can I try one?”

I shrugged. “Sure.” I turned to the brothers. “You want to try one?”

“Sure.” Jonathan nodded readily. “Which do you recommend?”

“All of them. There’s raspberry tea, grape tea, cherry tea, pomegranate tea, and the pineapple is good, but too sweet for me.” I replied and handed them one each. “First mix it,” I explained as I did with Elias. Gently inverting the bottle gently back and forth.

Lynn’s eyes grew as she tried some. “This is good!”

I felt Steve was also impressed but didn’t want to admit it. “It’s pretty good.”

Jonathan elbowed his brother. “Are you ever going to give them any slack? It’s damned good!!”

“Watch your mouth!” Steve shouted.

“Elias is right, you are trying to be an asshole,” Jonathan said calmly. “My brother is committing to a person he loves. I’m thrilled for Elias. Eric does good work and this is great! You could give him the proper credit. I get another brother with Eric.” He said flatly.

Steve just walked away.

“Well, he is being an asshole,” Jonathan said angrily.

I nodded. “Eli warned me.” I grinned at Jonathan. “No wonder Eli tells me you’re his favorite brother.”

Jonathan’s smile grew as he blushed. “He said that? I just thought he said that as a signature after all our conversation ends.”

I nodded. “He did. Several times.”

Jonathan came over and hugged me. “I meant what I said. You are my new brother. Welcome to the family.”

Elias came in. “What’s his problem?” He pointed to Steve as Steve stood on the sidewalk.

“Just a brotherly spat,” I said.

“I just told him he was being an asshole,” Jonathan said not letting me go.

Elias shrugged a nod. “He usually is.” He pulled Jonathan away from me and hugged me. “Hi! We’re getting married!”

I loved him!

“Eric tells me you told him I was your favorite brother.” Jonathan bounced as he said that.

Elias gave me a stern look.

“Well, after what Jonathan said he deserved to know,” I said.

Elias looked at Jonathan. “What’d you say?”

“I was thrilled for you and I got a new brother.” Jonathan beamed.

Elias grabbed his brother. “You are.” He said. “Just don’t let it go to your head.” Then he pointed at him. “And if you tell Steve that, I’ll deny it.”

Jonathan saluted.

 

The fact that Steve was here couldn’t be more mysterious. He clearly had a problem with the whole gay issue. But he came. Why?

“He could be spying for Dad.” Elias theorized.

“To see if we’re serious?” I asked. “That makes little sense.”

Elias shrugged. “But I wouldn’t put it past Steve. Even if he were doing it on his own for Dad.”

I frowned. “Does he think you’ll change your mind?”

“I know he hopes I will.”

Then Elias confronted Steve. “Listen, Steve, I want to know why you came. You seem to have a problem with the fact I’m marrying Eric.”

“But you aren’t.” Steve pointed out. “Marriage is between a man and woman. This is all a show.”

Elias frowned. “A show,” Elias repeated. “A show you volunteered to be in.” Then he stepped forward within inches of his brother. “To me, Eric and I have been married for the past year. This show is more to show the world Eric and I are committed to each other and will be until we die. And it’s a show you don’t have to be in. Eric and I are doing just fine without any help from our fathers. And without their blessings. Your statements and questions are nothing but primitive, uninformed rhetoric. It’s been passed down generations by narrow-minded imbeciles who think they know what God’s real intentions are. You don’t. There is no direct line from God to the Jonases.” Then he stood away a bit. “In fact, I don’t want you there. There are going to be hundreds of people there to support us. I don’t need you.” Then Elias turned away. “Enjoy your stay in Hawaii. You’re out of the wedding.”

Steve seemed surprised by his brother. I was proud of Elias’ restraint. There were the fittings and the evening party before the wedding. There was no rehearsal dinner. The caterer was readying the pigs for cooking in the pit on the beach and the event coordinator, Aunt Tessa, was readying the tiki torches and tables. Most of our guests would be standing up, but seating was ready for those that may not have been able to and for the reception after the wedding.

The next day was chaos. Brandi and Sharon were there to help get Elias and me going and keep up with what needed to happen when. Jonathan and Mike were also there to help. Jonathan was given the rings to give to us. Lynn was with Thao. Who knew what was happening there. As the sun began to set, we went to the beach where the chaos was a beehive of activity. Music was being played as guests arrived. Steve seemed surprised as guests showed up and seeming eager for this to take place. And these weren’t simpletons. These people were educated and well dressed. We had asked Dr. Katherine Moody to stand up to present us. As it wasn’t legal, it didn’t matter. Elias and I met at the center as soft music played after Brandi, Mike, Thao, Lynn, Sharon, and Jonathan led the way to the center first.

“Dear friends,” Katherine said to everyone. “I was given the privilege of presenting these two lovely human beings as they join their souls in life together. My first meeting was with Elias five years ago, he came to the university young and eager to learn and I knew he was someone I wanted to get to know. Then he returned to the university with another soul that touched his own. I met Eric. I have not met two souls so in tune with each other as they are, be they straight or gay. They are the best examples of human beings I know. We all should have a love that comes close to theirs. Now, they have some words for each other we will all be honored to hear.” She motioned to me. “Eric.”

Looking at Elias in the fading light of day, lit by the torches he again literally glowed with happiness and joy. “I see you now, as I did on our first meeting. You are the most beautiful person I have had the privilege of knowing. That you have given me your heart and life to me, I am so touched and honored to have that precious gift. I will honor and respect you, through illness, health, poverty and wealth. I am giving you my own soul and heart. I love you, Elias Jonas the third. So that we may walk through this life together. I will want no one else, ever. You’re my Soulmate, and my best friend. You will have me, forever.”

Elias smiled, but I saw the tears forming in his eyes. “Eric, it’s like I was asleep for so long. And since you’ve entered my life, I’m waking up. I did not know how incomplete my life was until you came into that life. I no longer see me, alone. You will always be a part of me. I will be incomplete without you. Circumstances almost took you away, and I saw how empty life would be. I gave you my heart and soul a while ago. Now, I say it in front of our friends and family. You are my life and soul. I will do all I can to make you happy as we walk together. I will do all I can to help you reach your goals and I will love you in health, illness, poverty and wealth. You have my heart and soul. I love you, Eric Mitchell. I will want no one else, ever. You are my soul mate and my best friend. You will have me, forever.”

“So, Eric. Do you take Elias Jonas, as your soul mate and husband?” Katherine asked.

“I will.”

“And you Elias, will you take Eric Mitchell as your soul mate and husband?”

“I will.” Elias nodded.

Katherine turned to Jonathan, she held her hand out. “The rings?”

Jonathan handed her the rings. She looked at them.

“These are very interesting. I see the dove, representing God and the flames that come around the ring in an eternal ring of fire representing the love these two men have. I think they are very appropriate.” She handed me one.

“With this ring. I take you as my husband.” I said slipping Elias’ ring on him.

Elias took the other. “With this ring. I take you as my husband.” He slipped the ring on me.

Then Katherine smiled broadly. “In front of these friends and family. I pronounce these two souls are permanently joined. You are married.” Then she smiled. “Now, the kiss to seal the deal.”

“Gladly,” Elias said with a grin and we did kiss. That was the moment the drums sounded and there was dancing with the native girls and guys and the music burst in celebration. All of the crowd was applauding and cheering. The fact that Steve didn’t, only told us, and him, he was in the minority. One. We had a document of commitment done up by the university, it looked impressive. Like a marriage license but said Commitment which those that stood up for us signed. Copies would be made and one was kept at the university and the original Elias and I got.

The food was served and everyone seemed to be having a great time. Then came the wedding cake. I didn’t even know we had one! It was coconut!! And instead of the bride and groom at the top were two grooms! It wasn’t fancy at all, but delicious! Elias and I found out Brandi, Mike, Sharon, and Thao had this made. Elias and I cut the first piece and fed each other as traditional. No smearing from either of us.

“Where’s the honeymoon?” Mike asked sitting with Brandi on the ground with us.

“There isn’t one,” I said encircled by Elias’ legs and arms as we sat together on the ground. “We’ve been together a year, so…”

Then Elias cleared his throat. “Well, that’s not entirely true.”

I frowned, he couldn’t have forgotten. “We have been together a year, almost to the day.”

“No, Sweetie.” Elias chuckled. “About the honeymoon.”

My eyebrows rose. “We made no plans.”

“You didn’t make any plans.” Elias pointed out. “I did.” He grinned.

I felt a surge of excitement. “Where?” I asked.

He smiled smugly. “You’ll see.”

Normally, as I said in the beginning, I never snuck down to see what Santa brought. This was tempting me, but I refused to ask.

It got late and guests were departing. Elias and I thanked them. Then I hugged my sister.

“Anything you want me to pass on to mom?”

“Just tell her I wished she’d come. I love her.” I said.

Lynn nodded. “Anything I need to tell Dad?” She grinned a bit evilly.

“Tell him I’m not giving up.” I grinned.

“When I show him the pictures, he’ll get the message.” Then she smiled slyly. “I’ll start with the earring picture and lead up to the kissing at the end. It’ll blow his mind!”

The idea of that happening I kind of wanted to see.

Elias was talking to his brothers. “I’m glad you two were here to witness this.” He smiled. “Thank you for your support, Jonathan. Steve, I don’t know why the hell you came. Tell Dad to give it up. I’ll be on our honeymoon when you leave. Have a nice time the few days left and a nice flight home.” Then he and Jonathan watched Steve just walk away.

“You know David would have been here,” Jonathan said quietly about the missing brother. “He’s beginning his residency and couldn’t take the time.”

“He, like me, left the family a while back. I understand. He’s just been better at it.” Elias joked laughing.

Jonathan laughed. “That and Leia.”

“Leia?” Elias asked.

“He’s only told me, but….yeah, they’re together. They’ve been living together for two years.” Jonathan said.

“Living with?” Elias smiled surprised. “Really?”

Jonathan nodded. “You aren’t the only one living in sin, big brother.” Then he got serious. “They are married, but he knew mom and dad would have a fit. She’s from Peru.”

Elias smiled when he realized who Jonathan was talking about. “That Leia!” He nodded. “He’s loved her for years.”

“You know mom and dad. She’s a native of Peru and Catholic.” Jonathan chuckled. “Even Steve doesn’t know.”

Elias nodded. “I won’t tell, but they’ll find out eventually.”

Jonathan nodded. “I can’t wait.” He shook his head. “At least Heather’s Baptist.”

Elias laughed. “One of us has it right.”

“We have a few years to find out.” He hugged his brother. “I was mostly raised by you. You taught me what was important. I’ll never forget.” Then he grabbed me. “I love you, Eric. Not as much as Elias, but, I love ya! Welcome to the wild and crazy life of a Jonas!”

I hugged him back. “Thanks, Jonathan. I love you, too. Thanks for coming.”

“I wouldn’t have missed it.” Jonathan grinned. “I’ll see you again.”

“Elias!” Thao called from across the beach. “Your helicopter is coming.”

Elias grinned and waved. “Be right there.” He turned to me. “Ready?”

“You know I’d go anywhere with you. Sure.” I nodded. “Helicopter? But I didn’t pack!”

“You don’t need to,” Elias said with a smile. “Any more and I’ll have to tell you. It’s a surprise!”

“Fine.” I nodded. “I’ll be surprised.”

Then a helicopter came into view and lowered on the beach. Thao greeted the pilot waving for Elias and me to come. The remaining crowd stood, throwing birdseed at us as we boarded. Then we took off and headed west. We were in the air for about fifteen to twenty minutes. In the moonlight, I could see an island. It was tiny but had a lot of beach surrounding it. One structure on it.

“This is our home for the week,” Elias said proudly. “Donated by a man with a lot of money, but gay. He gave it to us for the week.” He said as we landed. “The reason we don’t have to pack is, we can shed our clothes after the pilot leaves and don’t have to put them back on until we leave. We are the only ones here. The only thing we paid for was the groceries. Which is already here. Delivered today.”

I looked around. No sign of land except the one we were standing on. The helicopter rose and flew away. I looked up at the sky which was clear and all the stars could be seen, the moon wasn’t full, but it lit the area clearly. The sound of the surf, it was tranquil.

“Come on.” Elias grinned and threw his shoulder in my gut this time and lifted me up, and carried me toward the structure. He set me down inside. “You got to carry me over the threshold the last time. I get to do it once.” Then he pulled his shirt off, then slipped his pants and shed them and underwear in one motion, then did his Tarzan yell. “Me Tarzan. You mine.” He smiled and tackled me on to the bed.

The structure was little more than a hut, no walls and open to the breeze which was fragrant and filled with the smell of salt and flowers. For the week we made love all over the island, lay in the sun and just enjoyed each other and being together. Neither of us would have any tan lines. No phone, no TV and no distractions. Only a radio in case of emergencies which we didn’t have. Except the rising and setting of the sun, we had no idea about the passing of time. There were games there we played, but mostly we just enjoyed being together. But soon we had to put our clothes back on as the helicopter returned.

Arriving back home, of course, Brandi greeted us as we arrived at our apartment.

“Did you have a good time?” She grinned knowing the answer.

“Phenomenal.” Elias nodded.

“It’ll be hard going back to the routine,” I added. “I am so relaxed.”

She smiled. “I see you both are quite tan. Bet there aren’t any tan lines.” She reached like she was going to pull my pants away a little to check.

Elias grinned swatted her hand away from me. “No there isn’t and no you can’t see.”

Her bottom lip came out as she pouted. “Oh, Pooh.”

Elias and I both hadn’t run much that month so that Monday we began again. I went to work and so did Elias to get ready for the following semester. He would fill in for the Summer Semester as needed by others. He was basically a substitute. The first year is done and the second came and went quickly. Elias’ work load still was almost impossible. I took more classes, this time some for my degree. Business was demanding. The Coffee Station was now a favorite hangout for the university and locals. My tea-sodas were in more demand. I had to increase the shipments to compensate. I had to get another carbonation unit and coffee/espresso machine. I also had to hire more people. I ended up with seven under my direct control. The Apothecary was practically done and but there were some on the island that still came there for local cures. Aunt Tessa came in less. It was in the third year, just before Elias finished most of the classes to get his master’s degree. I noticed he was squinting.

I sat beside him as he worked on the word processor he borrowed from the university. “Baby, when was the last time you had your eyes checked?”

“Two seconds ago, by you.”

I smiled, but let that slide as my fingers ran through his hair. “And a more beautiful set I’ve never seen. But I’ve noticed you’re having trouble focusing. I’ll schedule an eye appointment.”

He sighed closing his eyes and rubbing them. “It’s just the strain.”

I nodded. “I agree. That’s why you need them checked.”

He nodded. “You know, after I finish this master’s program, I’ll be a full professor at the university. More money. And your business is going well, we’ve got income there.” He looked around. “I love this apartment, but don’t you think we should look into buying a house?”

“A house? Really?” I repeated. The idea was great, but leave here? Did I want to? “I suppose.” I looked at the place we’d called home for three years. “I knew we would probably, one day. I will miss this place.”

He smiled. “But don’t you want a place that’s ours? Not paying someone else’s house payments.”

I nodded. “I agree. Sure. Don’t forget the payments I’m paying Aunt Tessa when you factor the mortgage payments.”

Elias smiled taking my hand and kissing the back of it. “I haven’t.” Then he grinned. “Which means we also need a car.”

“Car?” I grinned acting like I didn’t remember. “Car. Oh, yes. Those things with four wheels instead of two. I remember those.”

Elias’ eyes rolled. “You can be such a smart ass.”

“Which you knew before you married me.” I pointed out standing up.

He nodded with a grin. “Yes, I did.”

I nodded and kissed him. “But you’re getting your eyes checked.”

He saluted.

Much to his dismay, he did need glasses. For reading. I went with him to the optometrist to pick out frames.

“What about these?” Elias asked picking up a pair that looked at home, in the fifties.

“Nah.” I frowned.

He picked a gold wire pair. “These?”

I frowned. “Too sexy.” I picked up a pair of what looked like Buddy Holly style. Dark black and sort of big.

He grinned. “Well, that would sure put a damper on anyone with sexual attempts on their minds.”

“All except me.”

He looked at me to see if I were kidding. “Seriously?”

I shook my head. “No, the gold wires are great. But maybe a more rounded frame. John-Boy Walton type. Give them the hunky intellectual professor students can drool over.”

Elias grinned. “Drool over? Really?”

I nodded. “Sure. But I get you naked at home, they don’t.”

Elias got those. “Yes, you do.”

 

We ended up getting a Ford Escort. Not the biggest car, but there was only two of us. Sharon graduated and went back to New York. Brandi moved in with Mike. Big surprise? No. Steve married Tina and he truly loved her. Tina didn’t put up with his crap and called him on it. A sweet girl I wished to meet, but we weren’t invited to the wedding. No surprise there. And Steve was moving fast on his Dad’s tail. He was going to be a preacher. Duh. Though I thought some of his sermons were a bit over the top. Like Kill the Easter Bunny, Hunting Season Now Open and Death to Santa. Complete with a wanted sign with the image of Santa on it. No, we didn’t like the secular holiday trappings, but kids don’t want to hear that. Kill Santa and the Easter Bunny!? No way. David and Leia had to tell David’s parents they were married and at the same time, they were going to be grandparents. That was quite a blow for Joy and Elias, Junior. They had no wedding to attend and David was married to a local Latina from Peru! Oh, the agony!

Then Elias saw a flyer on the campus wanted and offers board. A retiring professor was selling his house. So, he and I went to look at it. It was in Paukaa, just north of Hilo and about ten or fifteen miles from the university and the Apothecary. But the best part, it was on the beach! Three bedrooms, one bathroom. We could do much worse! Built in 1951. A little dated, but hidden among trees and foliage! I loved it! No yard! Most homes here didn’t. It would almost be impossible to keep. Tropical foliage and plants, it was like being in a jungle. Oh wait, it was the jungle!

Then as we were packing, the phone rang.

“Hello?” I answered casually.

“Hello, Eric.” I recognized Joy Jonas’ voice. “I don’t mean to be rude, but is Elias there?” I sat up straighter. She never calls. I had a sense of dread hit my stomach. “Sure, Mrs. Jonas. Hang on.” I turned to Elias. “It’s your mother.”

Elias looked up suddenly as shocked as I had been. He knew as I did, something huge was wrong. He took the phone. “Mom? What’s wrong?” He asked instantly, grabbing my arm to keep me close by. And I heard without really trying.

“Tina was killed in an accident last night.”

Elias sat suddenly. “Oh, my god. I’m so sorry. Poor Tina. Poor Steve!” It was a horrible statement from Joy. Elias may not have liked his brother most of the time, but this was a whole other situation.

“No matter what happened. Steve needs his family.”

Elias looked to heaven as if the answer would descend from God Himself. “But Steve doesn’t want me there. He didn’t invite us to the wedding.”

“You’re his brother. He needs us all here.” Joy said. “David and Leia are coming. Your brother just lost his wife of less than a year. He needs you.”

Elias nodded. “We’ll be on the next flight.”

“You and…Eric.” Joy said.

“He’s my husband. Whether you like it or not. I come, he comes!” Elias said softly and sadly. “I’ll let you know when we land.” He hung the phone up slowly.

I touched Elias gently. “Are you sure I should be there?” I asked. “My place is with you, but…”

“Steve may be an asshole. But he is my brother. How can I not?” Elias asked. “But I wonder…God forbid if I had lost you. I almost did. Would they be so ready to rally around me?” He pulled me in a hug. “I need your strength. And your clarity of thought.”

I hugged him back. “Of course.”

Copyright © 2016 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 35
  • Love 3
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It still isn't clear to me why Steve attended the ceremony. But, if for no other reason, it's extremely important image-wise for the entire family to be seen there supporting Steve in his time of grief.

 

All of the homes I can remember in Honolulu in the '60s had at least a small lawn. But there were always lots of flowers, shrubbery, and trees surrounding them.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..