Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 10,251 Words
  • 2,991 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Preachers' Sons - 5. Chapter 5

Elias and Eric make a giant new step in their lives.

We had the money in a separate account for if we had to fly back in an emergency. So the cost was covered. I watched as Elias was pulling more and more into himself the closer we got to Charleston. We rented a car and hotel room near both the house and the church. The round one on the river, if you’ve been there. In this instance, time moved forward, not back as we crossed time zones. We landed at night, so we checked into the hotel. We were back in what I felt was enemy territory. Alien territory to me now. The peace I’d found in Hilo I missed terribly. And yes, I’d see my parents again after all these years! I felt a sense of dread about that. And seeing Elias’ parents, that was going to be even worse. His mother wouldn’t be too bad. She was just afraid of what her husband would do and say. Joy and my mother were opposites. Mom let Dad push her to a point, then she pushed back. Joy didn’t fight back at all.

The next morning we drove to the Jonas’ home and Elias rang the bell. Jonathan opened the door.

“Hi, Elias!” His brother greeted. “Hi, Eric!” He came out and hugged us both.

He’d gotten bigger since his last trip. Jonathan had used the time between graduation and college this year and spent a month with us in Hilo. He wanted us to meet Heather, but of course, that wouldn’t happen for a while. He was almost as tall as Elias, only bulkier.

“Where’s Steve?” Elias asked.

Jonathan pointed down the hall. “In his old room.” Then he stopped his brother. “He’s in pretty bad shape. Dad and David’s with him now. He was going to give Steve something to calm him, but Steve refused.”

Elias nodded. “Thanks.” Then a quick glance to me, he took my hand, squeezed it and went back to see Steve.

“Leia and Mom are in the den,” Jonathan said.

When I got to the den, no one was in the kitchen, a door shut in the other direction and a dark-haired woman, very, very pregnant came out.

“Este bebé es haciendo una danza sobre mi vejiga.” She said to who should have been Joy. But it was to me instead.

“I understood Baby and dance, but that about as much as Elias has taught me so far.” I smiled, not certain how David’s wife would receive me.

She was beautiful. I could see why any man would find her attractive.

“I thought you were Joy.” The woman smiled with a light laugh.

I nodded. “I was sure you did.” I smiled. “I’m Eric. Elias’ husband.”

The woman didn’t even blink. “Oh, I’ve been dying to meet you.” She smiled and walked forward her hand extended.

“Leia!” Joy came in and cried in a shout of panic seeing what was about to happen. “Don’t! The baby!”

Leia looked confused. “I beg your pardon. Why not?”

Joy hadn’t wanted to say. But she was clearly scared of something. Then I watched the one Jonas I hadn’t met came in.

“Mom, I told you. HIV is was mostly in New York and California right now. It was highly unlikely Elias or Eric had it.” The man said in a tired voice of a conversation he’d had before.

“You don’t know that!” Joy said urgently.

“For God’s sake! I’m a doctor, Mom!” David said. “I was told what we know. He and Elias have only been with each other. It can’t just pop up because they’re gay.” Then a man that looked a lot like Elias, only he had a reddish brown hair and was a little thicker. Not fat, but Elias and I were runners, David was not. He grinned. “Hi, Eric. It’s good to finally meet you.” He shook my hand.

I nodded. “It’s great to meet you two as well.”

Leia shook my hand as well. “I loved the photos Elias and you sent such a beautiful wedding. We’d love to come out and see you.”

This was nice. “We’d be glad to have you.” I grinned. “We’ll have room now. We just bought a house!”

“No way!” Jonathan said coming in eating something he found there.

I nodded. “Yes, way, on the beach!”

“That is so cool!!” Jonathan all but bounced.

David laughed. “Then we will definitely come to see you.”

“It’s in the little town of Paukaa, just north of Hilo.” I said. Then I looked behind them at the empty hallway. “How is Steve?”

David’s smile became sad. “He’s really devastated. He’s taking this hard.”

“He lost his wife.” Dr. Jonas said also coming in the room. “Of course he’d be taking it hard.” His eyes came to me, but he didn’t nod or say a word.

Elias came behind his father. “I see you’ve now met Eric, David…Leia.”

“I thought you were with Steve.” Dr. Jonas said a little cross.

“He’s asleep, Dad. David gave him a tranquilizer. Remember?” Elias replied still annoyed with his father’s expectations.

“Poor boy.” Joy lamented.

Then Elias frowned. “I’m just going to say this once. If anyone has a problem with Eric being here, then I leave too. If I had lost him, would you be saying Poor boy? I don’t think so.”

“He’s not your husband.” Dr. Jonas growled.

“Because of people like you who said we couldn’t marry! I would have. So, we did the next best thing. I don’t give a damn if you accept it or not. He is my husband and either treat him with respect as my husband, or we’re gone.” Elias demanded.

“Elias!” Joy said in shock.

“Come on, Mom,” David said who obviously saw things as we did. He was a victim of his parents’ intolerance, too. So, he knew it well. “I didn’t tell you I married Leia for the same reason.”

“Leia is a woman.” Dr. Jonas said.

“That you told me in no uncertain terms, we don’t marry them,” David said angrily. “Those very words! I asked you once, why are we helping? When do they become one of us? You didn’t answer. It was only after she was expecting your grandchild did we even tell you we were married! Your grandchild is going to be one of them!”

“Who we marry and whoever we choose should be our choice,” Elias said. “Whoever Jonathan chooses, male, female or another race is his choice. Not yours. My brother lost his wife and you, Mom, insisted I be here. I will be here for Steve. But not for you.” Then he looked at his father. “Or you.”

I sensed the tension and it was growing. “Can we remember why we’re all here people?” I asked. “Not to open the debate on who marries who and if not, why? Steve is the one that has lost someone very important to him.” I said softly. “He should be the focus here.”

Elias bowed and closed his eyes. “Eric’s right. But I will not tolerate this….attitude toward Eric or me because of our choice.”

 

If funerals were lovely, Tina’s was. Delicate roses adorned the funeral home where a beautiful white casket sat surrounded by them. And people sent and brought flowers to add to the many flowers. Notes and sorrow expressed in cards. Tina I was told was not only physically beautiful, but sang beautifully. She would have been the perfect pastor’s wife. She loved children and taught preschoolers in Sunday School as well as taught kindergarten. I did take a moment to call my mother during the day.

“Hello?”

“Hi, Mom,” I said.

“Eric! You sound close.” Mom said cautiously.

“We’re here, in Charleston,” I explained. “We flew in last night.”

“For Tina and Steve.” She understood. “How is Steve?”

“We’ve not seen much of him. I haven’t. David and Elias are watching him carefully. It’s a good thing David is a doctor, but I think Steve needs to deal with the loss rather than be drugged. But Steve is inconsolable, so I’m told. I know I would be.”

“It was such a tragedy. Everyone loved her.” She said. “So how long are Elias and you staying in town?”

“We leave on Sunday.”

“Could we see you before you go? I’d love to see you.” Mom asked.

“We? Who’s we?” I asked.

“Just Lynn and myself.” Mom said. “Of course we’ll see you at the funeral home and funeral, but…”

“We could meet after the funeral.”

“Agreed. Give my best to the family and my love to Elias.” Mom said.

“I will.” I smiled. “I love you, Mom.”

I could see her smile in my head. “I love you, too. See you soon.”

 

The funeral home was packed. People milling about and giving their words of comfort to Dr. Jonas, Joy, and Steve. And to Mr. and Mrs. Tucker, Tina’s parents. And of course, everyone saw that Elias and I were still together and I knew there was talk about us as well. And people commented about David and Leia. She was of the Nanti tribe there in Peru originally and she was very ethnic. She and David spoke English, Spanish and Arawakan that was only spoken by a few hundred people in the entire world, but he understood and intended to return to Peru as a doctor when finished school. She was a nurse.

Needing something to do before the visit to the funeral home, I went to a local organic store and bought something to prepare for dinner. Buying what I needed, I asked Joy if I could use her kitchen and pots to prepare my chicken stew.

As it was cooking, Leia came in sniffing. “That smells awesome I smell pineapple and coconut.”

I chuckled. “It’s Hawaiian Chicken Stew,” I explained.

Elias walked in. “Careful, Leia. One bite and you’ll be addicted.”

I laughed. “Are you willing to risk it?”

“Absolutely.” Leia nodded.

I used a clean spoon and gave her some.

“That is amazing!” Then she smiled, then shook her head. “I can’t let you feed it to David.”

“Why not?” I asked.

“He’ll want me to fix it.” She explained with a smile. “It has an interesting flavor.”

I nodded. “Alaea,” I said. “It’s a volcanic salt I got from the organic store. I was surprised they had it. It adds a unique flavor.”

“I’m tired of sleeping!” Steve’s voice came as he came into the kitchen. He looked as if he hadn’t slept at all, his face was haggard and he’d been crying almost the whole time he was awake. He saw me and instantly was in a rage. “Why her? Why not you!?” He asked angrily. “I lost the most important person I had in the world.” Then he heard what he’d said. He could be an asshole, but even he knew he’d gone too far. “I’m sorry.” He said coming to me. “I am so sorry.” Now he was crying again. “I just can’t forget….she was going to visit her parents. I had gotten her a puppy a few weeks before. She had it in the front seat.” He was now sobbing. “It must have distracted her.” His breath hitched. “She didn’t see the truck in front of her had stopped. She ran full speed into the back, it was one of those flatbed trucks.” He grabbed me as his words began to break up as he cried, breaking the sentences. “It was so brutal….the impact….was so….violent…..she…lost…her…head! Ripped….right…off!!” He wailed as he clung to me. “She lost…her head!! My beautiful….Tina!”

People don’t always know what to say. The truth was, you didn’t need to say anything. Just be there. “I am so sorry, Steve.” I put my arms around him. Elias did too and Leia.

Dinner served and we all ate in near silence. Then to the funeral home.

That’s where I saw my mother and father, she hugged me and we spoke a while. My father didn’t even acknowledge me. The funeral was the next morning and I sat with the family by Elias. Elias insisted. He was still a little withdrawn but took my hand during his father’s words during the funeral. Steve was between Joy and Tina’s mother. Then the graveside and it was done.

Elias and I met my mother and sister at a local restaurant.

“Other than that horrible accident. How are you two doing?” Mom asked.

Elias nodded. “We’re fine. Did Eric tell you we bought a house?”

Mom looked surprised. “No, he didn’t.”

Elias nodded. “It’s not a big place, but we intend to expand it. There will be plenty of room for guests.” He was clearly telling Mother she could be that guest.

“And your business, Eric,” Lynn asked. “How’s that going?”

“I’ve got the tea-sodas in most of the towns on the Big Island,” I said.

“It’s going great!” Elias put in with pride. “In fact, there’s a commercial in the works that will make it spread statewide.”

“Really?” Lynn asked. “It’s a shame we can’t get it here.”

“Well, it is organic and has no preservatives. I’m afraid it would go bad before it got here.” I said.

Elias chuckled. “Which means, you’ll have to come there to try some.”

Mom looked pleased. “Perhaps I will.” Then she put her hand on mine. “You are doing well, then?”

I nodded. “Couldn’t be happier.”

 

We flew back to Hawaii and life resumed. I preferred the bike around the island to driving, Elias, however, did take the car to work. We did renovate the house. And the first commercial for my tea-sodas was going to premiere during Hawaiian Prime Time. Elias and I even rented a big screen to see it on and had a commercial party at our house, in spite of the reconstruction going on. The house was a basic, three bedrooms one bath. It had a kitchen off which was a dining room and a separate living room. The walls between the kitchen, dining room and living room were gone now. We gathered in one big room now. Brandi was in the commercial. Of course, she was! A beautiful woman I knew personally and was perfect for the commercial! I told you, Playboy would love to have her adorn their magazine. Mike was there as well as Brandi and Thao. We cooked out and had a great dinner then sat as the commercial began. Even I was blown away.

The commercial opened with Brandi on the beach lying in the sun. A beautiful one-piece white bathing suit, but her curves were accentuated. Her flowing blonde hair in the breeze as she looked at the camera.

“It is so beautiful here. I love the sun in Hawaii. But even as lovely as it is, I get a little hot and thirsty. And I’ve found the perfect solution.” She held up a bottle of my tea-soda. “Eric’s Tea-Soda.” She did the short easy turn of the bottle and opened it and drank. “It’s delicious. Refreshing and light. And tea has been proven to lower your body temperature. All organic and natural, made with the greatest pure Hawaiian water and finest teas. The fruit taste is perfect for a hot day in the sun. I guarantee you’ll love it. Eric’s Tea-Soda. In your local stores.” Then she took another sip. “Umm.” She purred.

No one said a thing afterward. I was looking at them all waiting for a reaction. Finally, Thao broke the silence.

“Eric.” He began softly. “You are going to be a millionaire.” He stood up and yelled. “I gotta get one now!”

Elias swatted Thao lightly. “We have some. Sit down.” Then he smiled at Brandi. “That was just wonderful, Brandi!”

Mike hugged her. “I’ll buy that.”

Brandi smiled. “I hope so.”

Mike looked at her. “I think now would be a good time.”

Brandi nodded and opened her purse, and slipped a ring on her finger. “Not to rain on your parade, but he proposed!” She let out a squeal which I added to. It was a good-sized diamond. I was no judge of gems, but it had to be a least two carats. “And you all have to come to the wedding!”

Elias stood hugging her. “We wouldn’t miss it.”

“Of course we’ll be there,” I assured.

From that moment on, business was demanded more. I had to expand the production and move it off to its own building. I had ten employees just for the tea-sodas. The Coffee Station still sold raw coffee and teas, as well as assorted herbs and spices from around the world. The Apothecary name was dropped. Elias and I were there when my name was now lifted up and hung out front. Eric’s Big Island Coffee Station

Our house was now a four bedroom, three bath home. There was the central great room with the kitchen attached. We added on the opposite side of the great room and bed and bathroom suite. Another central bathroom for two of the bedrooms and the one that had been the master bedroom had its own full bathroom. We had a huge back door window that you looked out over the beach and surf. And the beach was several thousands of yards away, so no problem with any storm surges. If we had flooding, the surrounding towns had it as bad as we would. We had now been in Hawaii for ten years. Elias was in his mid-thirties and I was twenty-nine. We still ran daily. And as far as I was concerned, he was still the most beautiful human being there was. I came home at the usual time but surprised to see Elias at the stove making something and dancing to music on the stereo. Again, it had the Latin beat as he stirred occasionally and did a spin, spotting me come in.

“Hi, Baby!” He greeted happily.

“Hi.” I greeted smiling at him. “You’re early.”

He nodded. “And I have a reason.” He said. “My dissertation was accepted and I will be a Ph.D.” He said triumphantly.

I walked over kissing him. “I knew you would.”

Then he grinned. “But that’s not the good news.”

I looked surprised. “It isn’t?”

He shook his head. “Dr. Moody is retiring.”

I frowned. “I guess she is that age. Why is that good news?”

“You’re looking at the New Head of the Department. She told me she wants me to take her place.” Elias said proudly.

I pretty well knew that’s why he had been picked by her to come back to Hawaii, but hearing it, I just beamed. “And you’ll do a fabulous job, Dr. Jonas.” Then I grinned. “I guess my surprise is a little anticlimactic.”

“Surprise? For me?” Elias asked.

I held up a bag I carried in. “For you.”

He opened the bag and his eyes got bigger. He pulled out the two six-packs of soda. “Inka Cola!?” He took out the sodas. The orange and yellow labels were clear. “Oh, my god!! These were my favorite soda in Peru!”

I nodded. “I know. I have a shipment of coffee from Peru. I heard that was your favorite and asked the crew coming in to bring me some.”

He kissed me hard. “If I didn’t already love you, I would now!”

That’s when the phone rang. “Well, you do and did.” I chuckled answering the phone. “Hello?”

“Hello, Eric.” My mother said quietly.

“Mom!” I said happily. She was the only one of our parents that ever called. “It’s good to hear from you.”

“I hope this is a good time. I can never remember if it’s one time here, what it is out there.” Mom confessed.

“Sure. I just got home.” I replied.

“Well, you’re always asking me to come there. I was thinking I’d take you up on that. What about this coming week?”

“Absolutely. Next week would be great!” I said, mouthing that mom wanted to come to Elias. His eyebrows rose. Surprised. Then I frowned. “Is everything okay?”

She sighed. “Not really, but I’ll explain when I get there. I’ll call with the times and flight information. I’ll see you soon.”

“Okay,” I said warily. “We’ll see you soon.”

“Give my love to Elias. Bye.”

I hung up looking at Elias. “She’s coming here. But something is wrong.”

Elias nodded. “She didn’t say what.”

“She said she’d tell me when she gets here,” I said.

“I guess we’ll have to wait.” Elias shrugged.

 

Mom was arriving on a Sunday. I took the week off and got the house ready. Clean sheets, fresh decorative soaps in her bathroom and flowers. It was a cheerful room I hoped she’d be happy in.

We met her at the airport and she looked out of place. A Southern woman, dressed in her normal Southern Belle attire with the gloves, hat, and purse. All coordinated, but not appropriate here. We took her back to the house where she awed and loved the view, the house and how we decorated. But she was tired from such a long trip and I didn’t want to bother her about why she’d come yet. She retired for the night and we left her alone.

 

Elias finished his breakfast and was kissing me good-bye when Mom came out of her room. She smiled at us when we quickly broke apart. “I think after ten years, you know I know you’ve kissed before. Don’t stop because I’m here.”

I grinned reaching for Elias. “We just don’t want you uncomfortable.”

She shook her head. “I’m not.”

“Good morning, Mrs. Mitchell.” Elias greeted.

“I think you could call me something else now, Elias. Betty or whatever you choose.”

“Mom?” Elias asked hopefully.

Mom smiled. “That would be nice. Mom is fine.”

Elias nodded. “Okay.” He grinned. “Well, I’m off to work.”

“We’ll be by this afternoon, okay?” I said.

“Sure.” Elias nodded. “I’ll be lecturing all day. We can have a little lunch at the university and we’re taking you to our favorite restaurant tonight.” He kissed me again. “See ya. Bye, Mom.”

Mom smiled at me. “He’s such a polite young man.”

I nodded. “He’s a very kind man. And smart. He’s going to be the Head of the Department soon.”

Mom’s eyes grew. “I see he is smart.” She nodded. Then she looked about the house. “And you’re no slouch. This is partly because of you, too.”

I nodded. “Business is taking off.”

“I am so proud of you,” Mom assured. But there was a sadness in her voice.

“Dad didn’t want to come, did he?” I stated more than asked.

She looked a little angry. “He’d never give in. To admit he was wrong? He’d rather die.” She growled. “God knows I love the man, but I had to get away. Just for a while. Thirty-five years with a man…” she stopped. “Did you know your father proposed three times to me?”

I nodded. “I heard.”

“Twice I said no.” She shook her head. “He knew nothing about marriage. Do you know where we went on our honeymoon?”

“Washington,” I said.

She nodded. “Do you know where we spent our wedding night?”

I shook my head.

“Across from a metalworking plant. You wrote Lynn telling her Elias and you spent a week on a private island.” She said.

“Sure.”

“Just the two of you. No phone, no TV, just the two of you together.” She said. “To him, the honeymoon was a trip. The metal works across from the motel clanged and banged all night. Then up and off again to the next motel the next day.” She shook her head. “I knew at the reception I’d made a mistake, but I’d taken the vows. I came this close…” she held her fingers near each other, “to calling your Uncle Bob to come get me. But I stayed. His whole family was the saddest group of people. It’s like any happiness and joy were a sin! He never gives me a compliment unless I ask him, do I look alright. His sister Faye married a wonderful man. We went to a new house she and her husband moved into. We brought his mother with us. It was beautiful! Her comment was…it’s alright.” She sighed. “I shouldn’t be telling you this. He’s a good man. He’s just not…what I hoped he’d be.” She rose and walked to the large window/door to the outside and looked at the view. “And he’s never wrong. He will only see that you and Elias are living in sin.” She turned. “I see that Elias and you love each other. We had a man who was gay in one of our churches. Everyone knew it. I didn’t understand it, but…nor did I when you told us. I do now. You’re a good man. Elias is a good man. You’ve built a good life for the two of you. Is it a sin? I don’t know.” Then she turned to look out again. “I just had to get away.”

I nodded walking toward her. “You’re welcome here as long as you need to be,” I assured putting my hand on her shoulder.

She patted my hand. “I know. Thank you.” Then she turned. “How about some of that good smelling coffee?”

I brightened. “You’ve come to the right place. I have premium coffee from around the world. I have one I think you’ll like. Then later, we can go by the business and you can see it yourself. Then I’ll take you to the university to see Elias in action.” I grinned with pride. “He’s quite impressive.”

She chuckled. “I bet he is.”

“And then we’re got to get you something….more Hawaiian to wear.”

“That sounds wonderful.”

 

I did take her to my store, which she was more than impressed with. Then we went by the university. I peered in the door of the auditorium where Elias was lecturing on the semi-circle podium to an auditorium that spread up from him and about sixty students. I opened the door which caught Elias’ attention and we walked in. Elias grinned as we came in, pausing a moment.

“And this, class is my husband Eric and this is my mother-in-law, Betty Mitchell.” Elias introduced as he came to us. Kissing Mom on the cheek and the giving me a heartfelt kiss which brought the “oohs” from his class. Elias rolled his eyes. “Aw, grow up.” He groused good-naturedly. “Hi, Baby.” He said softly.

“I didn’t mean to break you when you’re in the zone.” I grinned.

He smiled. “I can get it back.”

He was no preacher, but he had a lot that was like a preacher. He was a dynamic speaker. His enthusiasm came from a subject he knew well and his articulation was superb. His students were spellbound and I saw Mom was equally interested.

Then I took her where we got her this lovely sarong that complimented her complexion. As I needed to get Elias from home, I drove the car and picked him up for dinner. We took Mom to our favorite restaurant and she did enjoy it, but you could tell something was on her mind. There had been weighing on her for some time. As dinner finished. She put her fork down.

“There’s no easy way to say this or a good time.” Mom began. “You sister’s been arrested.”

“What!?” I gasped. “Arrested!?”

Mom nodded. “It gets worse. She did a porn tape.”

I couldn’t believe my ears, but this was Mom telling me, so it had to be true.

“The man she was involved with was a drug smuggler and pusher. She said she was high at the time. The person she did the sex act with was his son. The boy was thirteen.”

I grabbed Elias’ hand who squeezed mine back.

“The man who did the tape said it was for their use. But when Lynn wanted to break it off with him, he sent the tape to her boss….through the mail.”

Okay, that was a little much. I put my head in my hand. “Oh, my god.”

“She’s being charged as a sex offender. Which she is. She cooperated with the Federal Officers to help convict her…boyfriend…of his crime. But she’s looking at five to ten years in federal prison.” Mom wasn’t crying. I guess she’d cried enough before. “She’s in rehab now, but her sentence is coming soon. You can’t tell someone over the phone his sister is a felon and a sex offender. You needed to be told.” Then she smiled. “She wants you to call her if you can.” She pushed a piece of paper toward me. “Here’s the number. Just ask for Lynn.”

“Child pornography through the mail. A sex offense on a minor.” I shook my head. “Drugs.”

She nodded. “It’s not a proud moment for the Mitchells.” Then she grimaced. “And two more tidbits. She’s pregnant.”

I shook my head. “Her boyfriend’s?”

Mom shook her head. “According to Lynn, she’d broken up with him.” Now Mom was shaking. “She’d lost her job. To make rent…she sold herself to men.”

“She was a hooker!?” I pushed away from the table and stood up, but there was nowhere to go to get away from this horrible mess.

“Sweet Jesus.” Elias sighed, it was more of a prayer than swear. He stood to come to me. “Eric.”

I held my hand up. “I’m okay. Not fine, but okay.” I moaned. “My god, Mom.”

She nodded. “I didn’t want to tell you, but you have niece or nephew coming in about six months.”

“So, you are going to do what?” I asked.

“I don’t know.” She answered. “She can’t raise the baby in prison.”

“Elias and I are to do what?” I asked. “You came here to tell me. Are we supposed to take the baby? Dad would flip!”

“It’s either that or adoption.” Mom said. “The doctors tell us the baby’s fine. She’s in rehab. Your father should not get a hold on another life. I can’t do it alone! The baby is family.”

“Which Dad threw me out of!!” I shouted back.

“Your father is an idiot!” Mom said gruffly. “He wouldn’t see love if it slapped him in the face!” Mom held her hands up. “It’s your decision. If you can’t, I’ll understand. Your father has totally withdrawn from the whole situation. No support to Lynn or me! I can’t raise another child! I would if I had help, but your father won’t do that! I’ll be in my seventies when the baby graduates from high school.” Then looked at us pleadingly. “Don’t you want a child?”

Elias shrugged. “We never considered it. I’d love child. Our child. His and mine, but until they come up with a way, we can’t.”

“But it will be partly Eric’s child. His sister and he have the same DNA. It will be Eric’s niece or nephew. Most couples don’t know they’re going to be parents until they find out they are expecting.” Mom argued. “You will be the uncle, too.”

I hated this! Our lives were fine. Still, a child was coming and part of the family. “Can we talk first? Elias and I?”

Mom nodded. “Of course. You should. It’s a big undertaking, I know.” Then she looked at me. “Whatever you decide. Know I will be behind you. If you think you can’t, I’ll understand. If you decide to take the child. I support you.”

 

I paced in Elias’ and my room as I worked on what we’d found out. Elias sat on the side of the bed and watched as I paced.

“Eric.” He said calmly. “Sit.” He smiled at me. “I don’t know why you’re so worked up, you know we will do it.”

I shook my head. “I know! But I’m mad.”

“Okay,” Elias said. “Now sit.”

I sat but my mind still fumed. “How can she be so thoughtless? She makes a mistake and the ones left behind have to clean it up!? She’s just so…self-involved!! It’s all about her.”

Elias nodded. “Well, that may be, but there is another life involved.”

“We weren’t allowed to make a life for ourselves, remember? Now, we’re supposed to raise her child!? How did this happen?”

He nodded. “It just did. And your mother was the only one that came around. She’s accepted us!”

You’re sick, you need help. That’s what she said. And now we’ve got her grandchild coming.” I shook my head. “This is just….surreal.”

“Call your sister and talk to her,” Elias said calmly. “Now, understand this. If we take her child and raise it. We do it here. She signs custody to us. It will in elementary school when she gets out. She doesn’t interrupt that child’s life afterward.”

I smiled at him. “I can’t believe you’re taking this so calmly. I’m freaking out.”

Elias shrugged. “When we have a crisis, one of us is always calm. Usually, that’s you. Now it’s my turn to be the calm one.”

“Can we raise a child?” I asked.

“I pretty much raised Jonathan. You’ll be a great parent.” Elias threw his arm around me. “We’ll be great parents.” Then he brightened. “We may have another you here.”

I laughed at that thought. “We could have another her, too. Or that other person.”

“It will be fine.”

 

I considered the time difference and called the number and asked for Lynn.

“Eric?” She answered.

“What the hell, Lynn?” I blurted without a hello.

She sighed. “I know. I really fucked up this time.”

“Ya think?” I asked. “When Mom told us, I just….I couldn’t believe it.”

“I know.” She said sadly. “Things just got so out of control. I was out of control. I’m clean now. I didn’t use long, and I’m not really an addict. Nothing like Heroin or that shit. I was able to shake it, too easily. So, will you do it? Will you raise my child?”

“Do you want us to?” I asked. “We are gay, you know.”

She chuckled. “And here I just thought we had a great party! Of course, I know, Dumbass. I can think of no one better. And I sure as hell don’t want our father touching my child. He screwed me up royally and I know he messed you up. Not about the gay thing, but I know he did. Admit it.”

I sighed. “He did.” Then I looked at Elias as he got his coffee to go to work. “Elias and I will take the child. But you must sign over custody to us. We raise the child in Hawaii. Understood?”

“I can think of nowhere better,” Lynn said.

“I’ll talk with a lawyer friend. Paperwork will be sent and it must be signed.” I instructed. “Are you sure you don’t know who the father is?”

“No idea.” She replied. “But it should be okay. The men I saw were all businessmen, smart and not bad looking. I think my child will be fine. So far the tests have been good.”

“So, I don’t have to worry that some guy is going to come and demand his child.”

“No.” She said with certainty. “I don’t have a name to put on the birth certificate. I don’t see any man demanding a paternity test, ever. So, no.”

I sighed. “I love you, Lynn, but this is really pushing it,” I said.

“I know,” Lynn said. “I couldn’t abort, this child deserves a good chance. You provide the best chance for it. I do love you, Eric.”

“Okay.” I took a deep breath. “I’ll have the papers drawn up. Mom is heading back on Sunday. I’ll have her bring them with her. Take care.”

“I will see you when the baby is born.” She said. “Someone has to pick him up, I can’t just put him on a plane and ship him to you.”

“Bye, Lynn.”

“Bye.”

 

Elias and I told Mom we were taking the child, but I told her.

“The child will be here. Not Charleston.”

She nodded seemingly relaxed now that we agreed. “As I knew it would be.” Then she shrugged. “It will be a reason to visit more.” She looked at Elias. “Are you telling your parents?”

Elias shrugged. “They haven’t spoken to me since Tina’s funeral. I see no need to tell them anything. Jonathan and David will know. I haven’t gotten word from Steve. So, only Jonathan and David now.”

She shook her head. “That is such pity. To let a child go so easily. I could never do that.” Then she looked at me. “And no word to your father. He thinks we’re taking the child. We’ll wait until the papers are signed. Personally, I won’t say anything until he realizes you’re taking off with our grandchild.” Then she patted me on the arm. “He won’t be that much of bother. I’ll see to that.”

“I don’t know, Mom. Dad testified on many cases and he has legal clout and political clout.”

“And I have his history.” She said firmly.

I sat back. “Do I want to know?”

“No. You don’t.” But she was cool about it. “He won’t fight you.”

 

I made an appointment with a friend we had made who was getting a law degree from the university, she had been the one to have the power of attorney for Elias and me, she was at the top of her class. We explained the situation, she gave us the papers Lynn would have to sign, witnessed and returned. What lawyer to contact when we there. This would be harder because we were taking the child across state lines.

The rest of Mom’s visit was more pleasant. That Sunday, we saw Mom off to go back to Charleston, she promised to keep us up to date on the progress and let us know when Lynn went into labor.

I was amazed at how Elias was reacting to the impending arrival of our niece or nephew. He seemed really happy about it. I came home one night and saw a teddy bear in a high chair at the table.

I touched the little bear, it was so soft. But I looked at the chair. It was an antique. “Eli, where’d the chair come from?”

Elias grinned. “It was mine and my brothers.” He shrugged. “David sent it to us from storage.”

I touched the clean, dark wood. “It’s beautiful.”

“And like the table, handmade.” He pointed out.

I grinned. “This is…so nice.” I turned to the man I loved. “This is more than you agreed to. When you accepted me in your life.”

He shrugged. “We’re welcoming a new life. What I said to your mother, when we got together, I didn’t think about the possibility of having a child. I wasn’t going to give birth and neither would you. So I never considered it. Now that it’s happening, I love it.”

“You’re a good man, Eli.” I grinned kissing him.

“So are you.” Elias smiled.

 

I finished my courses, getting my master’s in psychology. I specialized in counseling to help others. But my focus was the needs of gay men. There we enough of us in Hilo and the surrounding islands to merit a therapist. My business was thriving. I was even in negotiations with California to ship some there. But I wasn’t changing the formula, it had to be natural, organic and that required a place in California to make the tea-sodas.

Now to tell our friends what was going to happen. Brandi and Mike had married and had a little girl. At a cookout at their place, Thao and his latest boyfriend attended, along with Thomas, Mike’s brother.

Breanna, Mike and Brandi’s daughter, was six months old at the time, started fussing in her mother’s arms.

“Someone needs changing.” Brandi cooed at her daughter, nuzzling her face. The girl had dark hair like her father.

I grinned at Elias getting up. “I’ll do it.”

Brandi looked up surprised.

I shrugged. “I have to get used to it. We’re going to have one at home in five months or so.”

“What!?” Thao said in disbelief.

Mike, who was using the grill spun around. “A baby!?”

Thomas grinned. “And who’s having it? Neither of you looks pregnant.”

I gave them a brief explanation as to what happened.

Brandi sighed. “It’s a sad situation, but happy at the same time.” She confessed.

“It’s always a surprise with you guys.” Mike grinned.

“With you straight guys, too.” Elias pointed out. “I’ll never forget at your wedding reception. You take my husband out on the dance floor. Then dip him and that kiss you gave him.” Elias whistled.

Mike chuckled. “Well, the Weirs hadn’t been that accepting of Tom or you two. I just thought they could use a little more shaking up.”

I grinned. “A moment I’ll treasure the rest of my life.”

Brandi laughed. “I thought my mother was going to have a stroke.” Then she shrugged. “Again. When they met Mike, I told them about Mike, I didn’t think to tell them he was Cuban. She assumed and when she saw him, was mortified! I just see him as Mike.”

“Cedar Rapids will recover,” Elias assured chuckling.

“Well, we’ll pitch in when the new arrival gets here,” Brandi said giving me her daughter.

 

We readied the house for our new child. Getting furniture and things ready.

We entered Kau, the winter in Hawaii and that meant rain. We had done what we often did in weather like this, took advantage and just relaxed, made love and just enjoyed being together. Sex was always a pleasure, of course. But we were well acquainted with each other and knew what pleased the other. Elias was dozing in bed as I read beside Elias in bed, looking through some research on a paper I would submit. Then he turned to wrap arms around me and was startled a little at the rustle of paper.

“What the…” he woke up more.

I grinned. “Sorry, Baby. I couldn’t sleep, so I was looking through some research.” I was about to put the papers away when Elias picked one up. He squinted at the words.

“Gay sheep?” Elias asked.

“Glasses?” I reminded absently and chuckled. “Yes, there are gay sheep.” I took the papers. “Rams that go for rams instead of ewes. I’m believing more and more that it’s chemistry more than a gay gene.”

“Chemical? How?”

“Well, when a baby is formed inside the mother, she releases hormones, enzymes, and chemicals that cause parts of the embryos’ brain to develop.” I held up another paper. “Like the case with some of these other deficits. Mostly in criminals. The parts of the brain that govern empathy and basic concern for others never develop properly. They lack conscious. I’ve found that the same is true for the sheep that turn out to be gay. The portion of the brain that should be masculinized are not. They therefore go for rams. I theorize the same thing happens to us. We don’t get the testosterone or enzymes that would cause attraction for females.”

“Okay.” Elias nodded. “I thought you were doing the paper on roles in a gay relationship.”

I nodded. “I am. But first I go with cause and effect. What makes us gay? It’s just theory now, no hard evidence. Take us for example. Neither of us would necessarily be pointed out as gay. People we meet are always surprised to find out we are. The most comments we get are you don’t look or act gay. There are others who do.” I looked at Elias as I spoke. “Human behavior can’t be pigeonholed. There are men that like women. There are masculine men that like men. Some, like Thao, like both. Why? There are men, both gay and straight who like to dress as women. Straight men are cross-dressers, gay men are drag queens. There are gay men that are total bottoms and some that are total tops. Human evolution even has governed attraction. Men were hunters, women were gathers. Hunters use their eyes more, women are more nurturing. Women like Brandi are attractive to men because she is well endowed. She has large breasts and wide hips. She is seen as someone that would bear children and able to produce milk to raise those children. Mike and you are strong, muscular and would provide for the children and his wife. Then there’s me. I am what I consider a gatherer-hunter. You are a hunter-gatherer. Basically, I am your wife.”

Elias sat up suddenly. “You are not!”

I smiled patting him on the arm. “I am. I provide things in our relationship, based on what you bring home and use those things to make our lives work.” I kissed him. “I’m fine with that. I like doing it. And I will be home primarily to care for our baby when it comes. I’m fine with that, too.”

Elias looked doubtful. “I see what you’re saying, but I’ve never thought of you as my wife.”

“I know.” I nodded kissing him to assure him. “These things I present in my paper. Human behavior is more complicated than the behavior of sheep. A new term should be used for us. I am not your wife. Nor are you mine. But we do fit well together. We are spouses. But we have roles we play.”

Elias shrugged. “So why not give a woman those hormones and enzymes to ensure a healthy, well-adjusted infant?”

“How much should we give? And when? Fetal development is varied and it has to be at the right time. Too much or too little may make a serial killer or a superman. Or both. Until we know when and how much, we shouldn’t even try. We play God if we do.”

Elias grinned. “That’s going to be a pretty intense paper.” Then he grinned. “So, how about a hunter that likes to be topped? Because this hunter wants you to.”

“I just did!”

“Yea, well, do it again.” Elias grinned.

I threw the papers on the floor, more than happy to do what he wanted when asked.

 

Time moved slowly for us both. But then it exploded. The phone rang, it was two in the morning for us. Elias reached an arm for the phone.
“Hello?” He asked groggily. Then sat straight up. “She is? You’re sure?” He shook me. “Your sister’s in labor.”

“She was before. Are they sure?” I sat up instantly awake.

Elias nodded. “She dilated two centimeters.”

I jumped up. “Hang up, let’s go. We’re coming!” I shouted hoping Mom would hear me as I hurried to get ready.

I could hear Mom. “It’s her first child, I don’t think it will be quick. You have time.”

“We’re coming, Mom,” Elias said. “See you soon.” He hung up. “I need to call Katherine. She knows and can cover for me.”

I nodded. “I’ll get the things together. When is the next flight?”

“Four am,” Elias said having memorized the flights for the week. “We can just make it.”

The flight seemed much longer than it really was, but we landed in Charleston, rented a car and checked in to a hotel near the hospital and didn’t stop there. When we arrived, Lynn had given birth to a boy. She looked exhausted. And she was.

“The labor went amazingly quick.” Mom said with a smile. “Only ten hours.”

Lynn grimaced. “Ten long, painful hours.” Then she smiled. “But he’s perfect!”

I looked around her hospital room. “Where is he?”

“The nurses are finishing cleaning him up and doing all that…medical stuff.” Lynn said. “Ten pounds!” She groaned remembering the size.

I winced. “Ouch.”

Lynn nodded. “Hell, yea, ouch. I pushed out two five pound bags of sugar! Ouch doesn’t come close to covering it.”

I chuckled. “Has Dad been here?”

“Been and gone.” Mom said. “He didn’t need to be here. He’ll be around shortly. He still doesn’t know yet.”

I nodded. “Well, the paperwork has been signed and filed.”

Mom nodded. “I’m ready to deal with your father.”

 

The baby came in wailing. He’d had a rough day. But he was beautiful. The dusting of dark hair I knew he’d lose, but pink with tiny hands that seemed to reach for something. The nurse handed the baby to Lynn, who had a bottle ready.

“I won’t be able to breastfeed, so why start?” She chuckled.

“You were both bottle fed.” Mom said. “I didn’t have enough. So, like her. Why start? You two are fine.”

“Why are they here?” I heard my father’s voice demand.

We turned to a man that had aged since we saw him last. Hair was totally white now.

“They are here to greet their nephew.” Mom said calmly. “Then take him home.”

“Home!?” Dad growled. “I will not allow my grandson to be raised by two homosexuals.”

Mom cocked her head. “The paperwork is already done. Filed and legal. Elias and Eric are raising our grandson.”

“I’ll stop this!” My father stated. “I can’t believe you allowed this, Betty?!” He was turning to walk away.

“Phyllis, Richard.” My mother stated.

He froze. “What about my sister?”

“Do you think she wouldn’t tell me?” Mom asked. “And what of that woman in the singles group you led? She was in love with you.”

“I told you nothing happened,” Dad said.

“There were others.” Mom said. “No, I don’t believe you did allow anything to happen. Not physically. But emotionally you did. And there are other things. If you try and stop this, I’ll leave you.”

Dad’s eyes grew. “Betty!”

“When have you ever changed a diaper? On either of them? You fed them occasionally, but that was it.” Mom challenged walking toward him. “And I know there was more between you and Phyllis than brother and sister. She said so. You were teenagers, but she will testify you did. Three times!”

Incest? No. I couldn’t believe it. Dad was raised in a very remote part of North Carolina. He had a dozen siblings, literally. I knew their nearest neighbor was over five miles away. They were farmers. I liked Aunt Phyllis and her husband Calvin. But she and others in that community were very simple, unsophisticated people. Rural. Still….

“Betty.” My father said softly. “It’s wrong to do this.”

“How do you know?” Mom asked. “You’ve not spoken to Eric in over a decade. He has his own business, which is doing very well. Elias is the Head of the Philosophy Department at the University of Hawaii. He’s a Ph.D.! You son will be soon too, in Psychology, but you wouldn’t know that!” Mom said quietly. “I was equally upset when Eric told us. Yet, I saw him step out and do what he knew he wanted. Whether you or I like it or not. He loves Elias. I love Elias as a son. Their relationship works! If you try and stop this adoption, I will leave you. I will not be there to change a diaper. You need to find help. It won’t be me.” She stepped a little closer. “And don’t think I won’t tell everyone what happened. Then or now.”

Dad turned pale. “It will ruin me.”

She nodded. “It will.”

Dad just left the room.

“Mom,” I said softly. “He and his sister? Really?”

She nodded. “I found out much later after Lynn was born. Your aunt said it meant nothing, but it happened. They were lucky she didn’t get pregnant. I didn’t tell you, on that honeymoon your father took me on. Phyllis and Calvin were on the way to Washington. We stopped for the weekend.”

“On your honeymoon!?” Lynn asked.

Mom nodded. “I told you, son. It was just a trip for him. Stopping at his sister’s didn’t mean anything.”

“But Dad and his sister!?” I asked.

Lynn and I looked at each other. We were more alike than dissimilar. We both thought the same thing and shivered. “Ew!” We both said at the same time.

“Yes, you said I didn’t want to know,” I said to Mom. “I wish I didn’t.”

Mom nodded understanding. “I wish I didn’t either.”

Elias chuckled. “Well, what’s his name?” He asked, changing the subject which was badly needed.

Lynn smiled. “I’ve always liked Justin.”

“Then Justin Mitchell it is,” I said as Lynn began feeding her son. “What about his middle name?”

She looked at Elias. “I think Jonas would be appropriate.”

Elias was touched by this and sat at the gravity of it. “Justin Jonas Mitchell?”

“If you agree and I put it on the birth certificate, that will be his name the rest of his life. So, do I do that?” Lynn asked with a smile.

Elias nodded. “Absolutely. I’d love it.”

“He’s your nephew, too,” Lynn said softly.

 

There were things we needed to do to take Justin across the country and over a good portion of the Pacific. Formula and diapers we got at the hospital. Glucose water. A car seat that was airline certified. He had to be cleared medically to fly. The doctor said when taking off, we should give him the water to ease the pressure as we could with gum or a swallow to pop our ears when we landed or took off. Elias put the seat together and I grinned at what I saw.

“A bear in a hula skirt?” I asked picking up the bear that had hula bear written on a shirt it wore. “Where did you find him?”

“In Hawaii.” Elias grinned. “I brought it with us.”

I turned to Lynn. “He’s gone crazy with the teddy bears. We now have ten. There’s one wearing a baseball uniform, one in a ballerina costume, one as a fireman…and this one makes ten.”

Lynn chuckled. “Justin will have plenty of friends.”

“Yea, but that one, Eric bought.” Elias pointed out. “It’s pretty awesome.”

I shrugged. “It’s a placental sound bear. If he has trouble or distress, I turn in on and he hears what he heard inside you.” I pointed to Lynn. “It’s comforting. So I’m told. Therapeutic.”

Now I saw Lynn was beginning to cry as she held Justin. “He’ll be alright,” I told her. “I swear.”

She nodded. “I know.” She kissed her son. “Just….don't let him hate me.”

I smiled sadly. “I’ll tell him who you are, every day.”

Elias touched me. “Perhaps we can give her some time with Justin. They will be coming for Lynn soon.”

Lynn would be transported to the Federal Prison in Connecticut. I nodded. We walked out to walk around. I wasn’t surprised to meet Dad coming to say goodbye to his daughter.

“I don’t like you taking my grandson,” Dad said.

I looked at Dad. “I don’t like what I heard either about you.” Then I smiled. “It’s nice to see you’re human. I don’t judge you, Dad. But you can see Justin. But you have to come to me.”

Dad lowered his eyes. “I just don’t see what you’re doing is right.”

“Okay.” I shrugged. “Your view of the world could use a little broadening. Things aren’t black and white. There is no absolute right and wrong in some cases.”

“I just don’t see that.” Dad defended, still the proud man he always was.

“You don’t because you won’t. Not that you can’t, you won’t.” I said. “That’s going to cost you. Justin will be free to love whoever he chooses. As long as there’s love and respect. I won’t judge him.”

“I taught you values,” Dad said.

I nodded. “Values I held to. I’ve love one person. Elias. We waited to make love. He was the first one and will be the last one. Only him. We’ve built a good life together. It’s too bad you don’t know about it.”

Dad nodded. “Just take care of my grandson.”

“Don’t worry,” I said. “We will.”

 

When we got back to the hospital room, Mom was there holding Justin. Lynn was gone. Mom wiped her eyes of tears as she rocked Justin.

“Lynn’s gone?” Elias asked.

Mom nodded. “Just a few minutes ago.”

“We didn’t have the chance to say goodbye.” I pointed out.

“She wanted it that way.” Mom said. “She gave me the baby and allowed herself to be taken away.” Mom shook her head. “I don’t know if I’d have the strength.”

I nodded sitting next to Mom. “Sure you would.” I touched Justin who wrapped his tiny fingers around my finger. “Where do you think she got that strength from?”

 

And Elias didn’t want to be in Charleston without seeing the one brother that accepted us. Our flight was the next day when Jonathan came by the hotel. This time, he brought Heather.

“Hello, Dr. Jonas.” Heather greeted Elias shyly. “It’s great to meet you. Jonathan tells me a lot about you two.”

Jonathan was in his mid-twenties now, a college graduate and ready to take on the business world.

“This is him.” Jonathan smiled approaching Justin. “So, what am I? An uncle?”

I nodded. “Of course you are. He is Justin Jonas.”

“Jonas!?” Jonathan questioned surprised. “Really?”

“Really.” Elias chuckled. “Justin Jonas Mitchell. But yes, he’s a Jonas.”

Jonathan smiled, but both Elias and I saw the devilish horns. “Oh, come on, Elias. Let me tell Mom and Dad. I’ll tell them about this Jonas. They don’t need too many details. Let them worry if it’s yours or Eric’s.”

“No, Jonathan.” Elias chuckled.

“He’s ours. Both of us, Elias and me.”

Jonathan’s eyes brightened excitedly. “Ooh! I can tell them that! Let them scratch their heads to figure that one out.”

I shook my head. “Was he always like this?”

Elias nodded. “Every day of his life.” Then Elias shook his head with a shrug. “It’s my fault, I dropped him on his head a few times.”

That didn’t bother Jonathan. “Well, they’ll find out when you guys come for the wedding.”

“What wedding?” Elias asked.

“Ours!” Heather showed her left hand and the diamond there.

Elias grinned. “You can’t do that, Jonathan! You’re just a baby!”

“I can and I am!” Jonathan hugged Heather proudly. “It will be a year after she graduates, that’s this year, so two years from now.” He pointed to Justin. “He’ll be two! You want to wait until then to tell Mom and Dad?” He looked at Justin. “He sort of looks like you, ‘Lias.” He joked using his brother’s name in affection. “They’d never know he’s not yours biologically.”

“I can never see what others see in babies.” Elias chuckled. “He’s a baby.” Then he hugged his brother. “Congratulations. I’m happy for you.” Then he hugged Heather.

Then I got in on the act. After hugging Heather, I looked at Elias. “You dropped him on his head a few times? Seriously!?”

Elias held his arms up in protest. “Hey! I was ten! He was heavy!”

 

Mom met us at the airport as we were leaving. She held him until the last call for boarding. Then tearfully let him go.

“You’ll see him again, Mom,” I assured.

She nodded. “It’s just so hard.” She wiped another tear. “I’ll be there at the beginning of Summer. Take care of him.”

 

Flying with an infant was interesting. He was a good baby. He slept most of the way. But I hated changing him, I always took him to the back so the smell wouldn’t knock the other passengers out from the smell through the recycled air. Fortunately, he only did that twice. Only fussed once in turbulence. But we landed safely in Hilo.

I smiled when we arrived home at the large bouquet of blue balloons and announcement that it was a boy on our mailbox. Our friends were there. When we opened the door, we were greeted by a soft surprise, a banner that said congratulations and more blue and white balloons. Brandi, Mike, Thao and his boyfriend were there with a cake and ice cream! Little Breanna was toddling around touching everything. Which reminded me to baby proof the house.

“Oh, he is so cute!” Brandi marveled. Then turned to Mike. “We need another one of these. Breanna could do with a playmate.”

“Or an enemy. What’s wrong with Justin for a playmate?” Mike shrugged. “I’m willing to make my contribution.” He bent closer to Justin. “Hi, Justin. I’m your Uncle Mike. This is Aunt Brandi.” He put his finger in Justin’s hand that clasped on.

Brandi shook her head. “Did you wash that finger?”

“It’s clean!” Mike growled.

“He’ll put that hand in his mouth, you know?” Brandi stated.

I picked up Justin who was getting more vocal. “This is your new, crazy family, Justin. You might as well get used to them.”

Then I saw Brandi’s eyes get large in surprise. She leaned toward me and whispered pointing at Elias. Men may be hunters, but sometimes we miss details.

“Well, Eli, Baby. Dad said this was how it starts And I didn’t believe it until now.” I went over and gently touched his temple. There among the thick dark brown was one small strand of white. “You’ve got a gray hair.”

The sad thing is, the situations are true. Not the Hawaii part, but happenings with the families. But know, I married my Elias! You see him in all the stories I write. His name changes, but it's him.
Copyright © 2016 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 40
  • Love 8
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Those were some shocking details about the sanctimonious minister who clearly was a bad parent too.

 

I wonder how many people are aware that the muumuu traces its origins to New England missionaries who insisted that the Hawaiian women cover themselves up Victorian-style. Hawaii was victimized by religious fanatics who were unable to accept Hawaiian culture and behaviors. I see parallels with the story that were probably not intended by the author.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

What a lovely ending, R. Eric, but it was made even more special by your note. Thank you so much for sharing a part of your lives. It explains why it rang so true. I, too, was lucky enough to find "my Elias". Though it was not my first relationship, it has been almost 30 years of commitment and, thanks to changing laws, finally 5+ years of legal marriage. We were also luckier on the family front, but still, there was a mix of acceptance and rejection, so it was easy to relate to so many of the situations. Again, thank you, and now to look for more of your stories! :great:

Link to comment

Wow,
I envy you, but am happy that you have love of your life
Not many of us are that lucky and specially in the 70's it was like going thru hell
Bravo

Link to comment

I thoroughly enjoyed this story. The setting was exotic, but never challenged the real story of two men sharing a deep and abiding love.

Thanks so much for sharing your talent.

Jim

Link to comment

 I first read this story when you originally published it,  and just returned to read it again.  I think I enjoyed it even more the second time around.  

 I loved the characters and how they came together to form their own family of choice.   Having spent time on the Big Island, the locations were also nostalgic and beautiful.

 

OMG...Inca Kola!  What a flashback.   I used to drink that stuff when I lived in Ecuador, and traveled in Peru.   Though I was never fond of it, the fluorescent yellow color was intriguing.

Link to comment

A truly great story.  I too found my Elias and we have been together 43 years! Some of the family dynamics rang true for us as well.  I love your stories R-Eric and thanks for the footnote at the end. :)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..