Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 6,401 Words
  • 4,143 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Preachers' Sons - 1. Electric

Eric meets a man that will be his soul mate.

Let me introduced myself. I am Eric Mitchell. Oddball. Not because I look bizarre or anything. I am a nice looking guy, I think. Black hair and brown eyes. I love to run. And who isn’t a little vain? Every guy wants to be that buff guy everyone drools over. The stud. And I had that. A little. I never went out for sports. I hate competition. I didn’t want to prove to anyone I was better than they were. The running helped when I had to work things out in my mind. That rhythm, the breathing…it was almost like hypnosis. Though I can’t say that with authority, as I’ve never been hypnotized. I could go over things I was studying in school, or even Bible verses as I ran. Why Bible verses? I was a preacher’s son. It was almost like a requirement to memorize verses. I was A PK/MK. That’s Preacher’s Kid and Missionary’s Kid. Nowhere exotic, we lived in Charleston, South Carolina. Not the most savage or primitive culture, but the Baptist Church thought there were enough reprobates to warrant a missionary. That was Dad. The Reverend Richard J Mitchell. He was a sort of Social Worker for the church. And there were a lot of people that needed him. Military families, poor, domestic abuse, battered children. Dad was the one that ministered to these people and not only saved their souls, but tried to make their lives a little better. A great guy, a big wig in the community, known by all the area Baptist Churches as he would rotate a church each Sunday. Yep, a great guy. He was also the biggest pompous ass at times. Yes, I said it. His intentions were grand, but he sucked at being a father. A lot. He held a camp every Summer. All the underprivileged boys he would gather up in Charleston, he’d pack them up and take them to this camp every Summer, and when I got to be old enough, I went, too. Yea! That was clearly sarcastic. I wasn’t thrilled in the least. But there were times I wished I could be that kind of kid to get his attention. I had one sister. Lynn. Three years older and she was the black sheep. Did she like to torture mom and dad? Yes, she did. She started smoking and drinking in her early teens and discovered boys. That girl was a little crazy. But to the world, we looked just fine as a family. Dad had the black hair, so did I. Mom had the blonde hair, so did Lynn. We were the perfect family. Many times Dad would take us to the churches and sometimes he filled the pulpit of preachers that needed to go to a conference or family outing. I dreaded those. I knew many of his sermons by heart by the time I was 13. My sister and I would lower ourselves in the pew whenever he said “there was this little boy,” or “I knew a little girl.” Come on, everyone knew it was us. But life changed. It was the first of November, 1978. I was 18 two weeks before. I met The one. That one person I would spend the rest of my life with. I was also odd in that I could wait for anything. For instance, presents under the tree with my name on them didn’t bother me. Or presents for my birthday. I’d get it eventually, so why worry about what was in it? It drove Lynn nuts! So when I met the one, that was the first time I wanted to unwrap this present immediately. And I will warn you, I am going to put down what happened in frank terms. Using terms like dick and cock. Or even jerk off. Did I hear a gasp? Men all have dicks and we all jerk off. Get over it. But I understand why we don’t admit to it. In my home, we never said those things. If you did have to talk about them, it was the proper term and done softly. Penis. Sex was never, ever discussed. At all.

Dr. Elias Jonas, Jr, and his family moved to Charleston as our new preacher. He had a lovely wife named Joy and they had four sons. The youngest was Jonathan, then Steve, David, and Elias the third. The whole family was gorgeous. Dr. Jonas was a handsome man in his late fifties. Gray hair streaked his black wavy locks. Chiseled features and rugged. A masculine man. Joy also was beautiful in her mid-fifties with black hair that everyone guessed was a dye job, but very pretty. She had an issue with weight though. While not fat, she was not skinny either. You have four boys and that sort of explains it. Jonathan was a mystery. While he had the chiseled looks of the Jonas men, he was blonde. Then there was Steven, my age but had dark brown hair. David was in school, later I’d meet him, he had red hair. And there was Elias, III.

Now, before I begin about any of them, let me set the stage. Dr. Elias Jonas was a missionary, also. But his location had been exotic. Peru. He was the son of a missionary that had been sent there ages ago. Raised a family and Dr. Elias was the next generation of missionary to Peru. Dr. Jonas came home briefly to go to college, met his wife Joy and they had the four boys there in Peru. Being the son of a local Baptist big wig, like I was, there were politics. We had to show a good face. I’d begun my senior year of high school. I was older than some in my class because when I began, I had to start late. If you were born in October, that means you’re not six by the end of September, so I had to wait until I was six, going on seven to start first grade. Now, with the Jonas family, I was encouraged to make friends with the Jonas family and hopefully become friends with the boys. So, I went over to where the Joneses lived. It was a very large house, five bedrooms and spread out in Fort Johnson Estates. That was an upper-middle-class neighborhood housing doctors, lawyers, and those types. I did my duty. I went over and was invited in. They were still unpacking, so I didn’t want to be in the way, but I was told Steven was working on a project and could join him in the den. Walking through the house, I was amazed at all the crates. Some of the crates were being emptied, there were things that said Peru, from the exotic fabrics with colors and textures. And the house had a smell that told of spices you don’t smell locally. I was greeted by a squawk and saw the largest red parrot I’d ever seen. I’d seen parrots in zoos, but he was at least six feet from beak to the end of his tail. “Hello.” The parrot said from his perch. But everywhere there were crates. A large table in the dining room was dark wood and it didn’t look like anything you could get from a furniture store. Looking closer, there were scenes carved into the side and each of eight chairs had different scenes carved in the backrest of each, all unique. A china cabinet was full of fine china and crystal. Once in the den, I saw Steven looking quite busy. Papers all over and he was arranging them.

“Steven, this is Eric Mitchell.” Joy introduced. “He goes to our church. His father is Director of Social Ministries for the Associated Baptist Churches in Charleston.” But her tone made it sound like Dad was very, very important.

Steven looked up and instantly put a smile on that said something. It was practiced and he didn’t really care. It was too perfect. On TV, his teeth would have sparkled. “Hello.” He stuck his hand out and of course, I shook it.

Having been in this position before, I was often used as a pawn like this. “I just came by to welcome you. Being in a new city is hard.” I looked about the house. “You’ve got a lot of beautiful things.”

Steven’s smile never faded. “This old junk?” He waved it off. “There’s tons more in the garage, we can’t find a place for half of it.”

There was more!? The house looked cramped now and to me the house was huge. “You’re busy. Can I help?”

He smiled again brighter. “Nah, until I get a job, I’m selling ad space for phonebook covers. To generate some income.” He did the finger rub indicating money.

I frowned. “But you just got here.”

Steven didn’t follow that logic. “And?”

He was ambitious. And he had charisma. But it went as far as you would expect from a used car salesman. It was practiced. We chatted a while and though he never said so, I was in the way. It was time for me to go. I was about to say that when we heard the car pull up and Jonathan announced at top volume. “’Lias is home!”

That made Steven drop what he was doing and headed with his brother form the kitchen door and opened it to let this other brother in. I kid you not, in stepped a man that to me that literally glowed. He was the most beautiful human being I’d ever seen. He was the tallest and thin, but muscular. Not the bulking weightlifter muscles. But his muscles were toned and I instantly spotted he was a runner. He was very tan. He had short, but curly hair that was sun-bronzed. Not the kind of curls that stand up, but lazy curls that were flat on his head. There was a three to five-day growth on his face of dark hair. My pants were quickly becoming uncomfortable as I was aroused like I hadn’t ever been before. He was carrying a little blue box that I would find out was a pet carrier. He was hugged by both his brothers who were badgering him with questions as Joy greeted her son. Even Dr. Jonas came out to greet his son. With a handshake. But my eyes couldn’t stop staring at the man. My mouth was going dry and my heart rate skyrocketed. I was forgotten. Then Joy remembered I was there first. She brought this new son over. “This is our oldest. Elias the third.” She wrapped her arm around his proudly. “He’s just come back from college at the University of Hawaii.” She motioned to me. “Elias, this is Eric Mitchell.”

Elias smiled. Unlike his brother, his smile was the real thing. He stuck his hand out, but when our hands met. “Pop!” An electrical spark jolted both Elias and me, and there was a real spark. The smell of ozone in the air. Both of us jumped. There was even a little screeching sound from whatever was in the carrier. “Sorry.” Elias rubbed his hand on his shirt chuckling. “I must have gotten a static charge.”

“It could have been me,” I said. “It’s nice to meet you.” It was only as I said, having been here in this position before, my voice did not break. And I knew how to deal with tough situations. But I needed to exit. Now! One does not have an erection having met your minister’s son in his house! Right now, I needed a diversion. “Another member of the family?” I asked pointing at the carrier.

“Hum?” Elias asked it seems he was having a little trouble focusing as he was staring at me! Then he looked to where I was looking. “Oh. Yes.” He reached down and opened the door of the carrier. “It’s okay, Sweetpea. Come on out and say hello.” He encouraged and I watched as little hands came out and what was the smallest monkey I ever saw came out on his arm. Then crawled up Elias’ arm and sat on his shoulder beside his ear. “This is Pepe. She’s a pigmy squirrel monkey.”

Bright dark eyes looked at the new surroundings. Her brown-grey fur was dusted with white. She was little but had lived a long time. But her fondness of Elias was clear.

“She’s beautiful,” I said honestly.

“And been with me eight years,” Elias told me. “I found her as a baby. Her mother was killed and I just adopted her.” He scratched her back which she maneuvered so he could get her head and neck as she preferred. “She sleeps in a sock I tack on the bedpost.”

I was still aroused. I had to go. Now. “Well, I should go.”

“You don’t have to leave.” Joy said, but I got that it wasn’t that sincere.

“No. I’m interrupting a family reunion.” I turned to leave. “I’ll see you on Sunday.” I waved but headed out the door. I waited until I was clear of the house before I had my breakdown. I was sweating. The fact that I was gay was no revelation. That I knew, but to be aroused by a man I just met so strongly. I pounded the steering wheel. “Damn it!” Cussing was not something I did. Grandma always said you can choose your words. Cussing is the sign of a lack of intelligence. I’m sorry Grandma, but there are times a cuss word is only fitting. I needed to run. At home, I quickly changed into my running clothes and hit the pavement. How far I went, I don’t know, I just ran. Of course, no one knew I was gay. Women and girls were pretty. They could be works of art, but I would mate with them as I would with a statue or painting. I didn’t want them. But the sight of the male form made me want to touch. They were truly beautiful. I could not tell my parents or friends. So, what was I gonna do? Do I ask Elias if he ever slept with a guy? I never had, but I knew that’s what I wanted. Elias’ reaction would be either to say no way or belt me in the mouth. Was I willing to risk that? He had given no sign that he was gay. Not that I had much experience with anyone I knew was gay. I’d seen porn. What guy hasn’t? It’s everywhere. But I remember seeing porn at a friend’s house. The women were nice, but the occasional pictures of the men in those got me aroused, not the women. That sparked me to find out why. I was a reader. I mean I read a lot. I had nearly a thousand books. I had a library card, but the problem with that was, I had to give the beloved book back and sometimes, I didn’t want to. I used the library to read all materials dealing with homosexuality. I knew what men often did with men. Being homosexual no longer meant you were sick. I’d read the various theories and psychological ideas on the subject. And there were the magazines. I had a few I hid in my personal safe, not under the mattress like many guys. Not even my mother could get in there.

Back to Elias. He was a college graduate. I was a punky kid in high school. Even if he did go for a man, he wouldn’t want a teenager. He was gorgeous! And the rest of the world thought so too. At least the ones that met him. By Sunday, I had it pretty well under control. I thought.

Our church was huge. We boasted over two thousand members. The Sunday morning service had a thousand to fifteen hundred attending. And we had a choir that had over a hundred as members of that choir, which I was in. Not the youth choir, the adult choir. Mr. Gregory, our director, was thrilled to have someone my age that wanted to be in the adult choir. Now I should say, I didn’t like Sunday School and did like the music, so it was a fair trade-off. The youth classes were…boring. And there were classes, we had a large building that had classes for children, adults, couples, adult singles, college singles and recently separated. I’m walking through the hall when I see Steve approach. He was dressed like he was going to preach! The suit and the hair were perfect. No preacher could come incognito around me. I’d spot him. Well, Steve had that look down. He did the two-handed gunshot with his fingers and kept on going with a wink to me. I just stared as he passed and did so a moment, so I didn’t notice the approach of someone else.

“Yeah, he’s always off to do something.” Elias’ voice said behind me. My heart jumped again. “He’s just trying to impress our Dad.” I heard the little bitterness come out.

I turned with a smile. “Elias. Good to see you.” While his brother and father wore suits. Elias did not. Dressed in slacks, not jeans, but a casual shirt and Docksiders. You remember those? Deck shoes? No socks if he didn’t have to. He didn’t feel he had to today.

He grinned. “Hello. You ran off so quickly, I didn’t get to talk to you the other night.”

“Yeah, well you were just coming home and I didn’t want to get in the way,” I explained. How could I tell him I wanted to take him into a room and kiss the hell out him. My mind told me it was just lust. I understood that. And he smelled good. Damn it, he was arousing me again! It was a kind of musk. “We can talk now. Unless you have to be somewhere.”

He grinned. “You weren’t heading for a class.” He pointed with his thumb over his shoulder. “The classes are that way.”

“Well, no. I sing in the choir. We meet a little early, so I was headed to Burger King until then.”

“Let’s go.”

 

Elias was different than his brothers and definitely not like his father. The way I saw him, he was a late hippie. Take away a decade and I think he would have been right at home with the flower children of the sixties. Burger King had begun to sell salads, and he got one and a few lemons they had for tea. The big cup he filled with the soda water. Not the soda, just the fizzy water that came out with the syrup. Me, I got my cheeseburger and fries. And the Dr. Pepper. My favorite drink. “You graduated, what was your major?”

“Philosophy.” But his eyes darted over to me when he said that.

“And apparently I’m supposed to say something to that,” I said. “A degree in Philosophy is great. You can do just about anything with it from Law, Medicine, Science, and Religions.”

He nodded with a chuckle. “I’m used to the questions as to why and what are you going to do with that.” He squeezed the lemons on his salad. “So what are you majoring in?”

I just blinked. “I’m a senior in high school.”

Elias’ eyes widened. “Oh, I just…well. You look like a college student.”

“Is there a problem with that? I plan to go into psychology. Next year.” I explained.

He shook his head. “No problem, I just thought….how old are you?”

“I just turned eighteen,” I said. Then I explained the age thing when I began school.

“So, you’re an adult,” Elias said to confirm.

I nodded. “Legally.” I was wondering why that mattered. I pointed to his salad. “I get the feeling you’re a vegetarian.”

He chuckled. “No….not really. I do mostly eat vegetables and fish. The occasional chicken. I just don’t eat red meat.”

“I see.”

He shook his head. “No, but if I tell you why, you’ll laugh at me.” He smiled.

“Why?”

He sat back. “Okay. I was ten years old. Dad went to visit this man who had a farm. There was the calf that fell in love with me.”

Elias was right, I did laugh. “He could have been hungry.”

“No, he followed me all over the farm. He would moo at me and look at me with such love. I swore never to eat him, his Mama or cousins.” He shook his head. “How could I? He loved me.”

Everything was going great until Floyd Truluck showed up. I loved Floyd, he was a great guy, but he interrupted us. Suddenly he was in the booth asking Elias how he liked Charleston so far. I tried not to hate Floyd right then.

I liked Elias. He was funny and smart. He didn’t try to appear to be anything but himself. Then it was time to gather before choir. I excused myself and hoped I could talk again with Elias after church. But as the church was over, the entire Jonas family was being taken for lunch. Bummer.

My week began again, school and my job after school. I delivered office mail at a resort on one of our barrier islands. And there were a lot of offices. My advantage to my working there was I got a truck! On my way in I would pick up the mail from the post office which was just down the street from where I lived, then drove the long way to the resort, delivered their mail. Picked up outgoing mail and to that, back to the post office down the street from my house! That was a win-win! I was saving money. I mean, the occasional cheeseburger was one thing, but just spending for the album or tape. Not me. My sister was always asking for a loan, but I knew her, so the answer was always no. Both my father’s grandparents were dead. His father died before I was born. His mother when I was five. Mom’s mother was alive and doing fine. Her father was gone a year ago. But he invested in the bond which I got when he passed. I had nearly twenty grand in that account. And I had added to it as the years passed. I was going to a University, damn it! Sorry again, grandma for cussing.

But no, my Dad was frugal. That’s a nice way of saying he was cheap. “You can go free to the Baptist College here.” He would tell me. But I was determined. My SAT scores were good enough. I wanted a degree I would be proud to have on the wall, a good job and get the hell away from this place. Charleston wasn’t bad, but there were people all over that knew Dad and if I did anything wrong like my sister did, it would get back to them. Just like it did with Lynn. My parents were always yelling at her for the parties she went to, the drinking and the smoking. Not to mention the boys! Are you surprised I never mentioned I was gay to them? Gay guys were supposed to love drama, I don’t need that. Baptists don’t drink, dance or gamble. I didn’t do any of those things. Not that I didn’t try drinking, but it tasted disgusting. I equated beer with the piss that came out my uncle’s horses. Drugs were not interesting to me. Pot? No, thank you. I applied to several universities secretly. If I got accepted, then I’d tell Dad and deal with that headache then.

It was that next Wednesday night after meeting Elias and I drove to the church. Choir practice was every Wednesday. Mr. Gregory knew I’d be late, I always was. So when I arrived I could hear the choir practicing a song for Sunday. Walking in you passed the sanctuary. The choir room was right behind the sanctuary. As I was going to practice, I noticed the door to the organ speaker room was open a crack. There were two big rooms up there both had the speakers for the organ on either side of the sanctuary. It was also storage for things like the puppet stage we used for our puppet ministry. And other odds and ends to keep secure. But it was never open. Never. That was a rule. I stopped and heard someone moving up there, I made my way up the stairs, the dim lights from the sanctuary came through the mesh that covered the room but allowed the speakers to do their job. I saw him walking back and forth.

“Elias?” I asked.

He turned startled. Then recognition, he nodded. “Yep.”

“Why are you here?” I asked.

He kicked some dust on the floor. “I just needed to get away. Somewhere to think.” He confessed. Then looked at me. “The truth was I hoping to see you here. Since you sing in the choir, I knew you’d be here eventually.”

That was interesting. “Okay. I’m here.” But you could tell something was bothering him. “What’s wrong?”

He gave a sad laugh. “What’s right?” Turning to me. “When I told you I had a degree in Philosophy, you understood.”

I nodded. “And someone doesn’t understand.”

“My father,” Elias said bitterly. “Neither he or my mother see why I chose that degree.” Then he shook his head. “I was supposed to be a preacher, he says. I was to take on his role when he dies.” He waved toward a person that wasn’t there. “He has Steve, who is more than willing to step in his shoes.”

I nodded. “But you are Elias Jonas, the third. You carry the name.”

Elias was nodding. “Right. Because I am the eldest and carry his name, I have to be a preacher!? I don’t want to be a preacher.”

I walked toward him. “When we’re born. Especially sons, we have expectations put on us by our fathers. In their minds, our lives are laid out. What we’ll become and how we get there.” I chuckled. “This has gone on since the dawn of man.”

“You know why I chose to go to Hawaii?” Elias asked. “Because I thought I could get away. They would never pursue me there.”

I grinned. “I understand that.” I laughed. “My father wants me to go to the Baptist College here,” I explained. “The most important part of that, it’s free for the children of Baptist ministers. But I want a degree from a university. I long to get away.”

“Are you going to?” Elias asked.

“Or die trying,” I said.

Elias chuckled. “Well, don’t do that.” Then he looked at me. “I was offered a chance. A big chance. I am going to get my masters in philosophy, then my doctorates. I didn’t ask my parents for a cent when I got my degree. I did it on my own through work studies and odd jobs. I will even teach.”

I nodded. “That sounds great.”

“Dr. Moody, she’s the head of the Philosophy Department, offered me a position as an associate professor at the University of Hawaii. I would still take my classes, and I would be making money while teaching.”

He was going back. “Are you going to do it?”

He shrugged a nod. “I’m seriously thinking about it.” He stepped closer. “I came here to get a job and work to earn some money to go back.” Then he was shifting nervously. “Then I met you.”

What the hell!? “Me!?”

“I’ve never done this before.” He confessed. “So…what I want right now…” he inched closer and I didn’t back away. “From the moment I first saw you. Was this.” His face got closer. My mind was telling me this wasn’t happening. But his lips touched mine gently. Tentative, as if coming at me too fast, I’d have run away. It was light, like a drop of dew landing on a flower. He backed away a little to see my reaction. No, I hadn’t run, nor I wasn’t angry. I have kissed three girls because that’s what you did after a date. I dreamed about kissing a man, but now it has happened. He kissed me, I didn’t kiss him. My response was not on a conscious level, it was, but I had wanted to do that the first day as well. I pressed my lips to his and now that he knew I was not only okay with it but wanted it. He pressed back. Arms going around me, pulling me closer in a hungry kiss as his tongue sought entrance and I practically sucked it in. Feeling that hard body next to mine was heavenly torture. Warm and getting warmer. The muscles on his back I felt. It was intoxicating! I finally understood what was meant when someone swooned. A light-headed, dizzy feeling that threatened to cause me to lose balance. This gorgeous man was kissing me! How I did it, I don’t know, but I pushed him back. It was a herculean task! His face became confused. “You don’t want this.”

I pulled him by the front of his shirt kissing him again. “Does that tell you I do?”

He chuckled. “I suppose, but….”

“First. I’ve never been with a man. Or girl, for that matter.” I began. “I’m a virgin.”

He smiled. “I am, too.” Then another shrug and nod. “More or less.”

My eyes widened. “More or less,” I repeated. “Isn’t that like saying you’re a little pregnant, more or less. Either you are or you aren’t.”

“Well…I did kiss one other guy, and he did suck my dick.” Then he quickly added. “I didn’t suck his and I didn’t cum. So am I a virgin?”

“You’re a virgin.” I smiled. “Second, I don’t think I could ever give in to casual sex.”

“Who said it had to be casual?” Elias asked.

“We just met, Eli,” I said. “If we did….what comes next, it would be. I want a relationship. The values I was raised with are good. If I give a part of myself to someone, I want to be a part of their life. I want that person to be a part of mine and give me what they’ve given no one else.” I looked at his smiling face. “Does that make sense?”

“You want there to be love.” Elias nodded. “So do I.”

“We get to know one another first,” I suggested. “We’re both the sons of ministers.” I looked at him. “I don’t suppose your family knows you’re gay.”

He laughed. “No way. Yours?”

“No way.” I smiled.

“So, what…we date?” Elias asked.

I nodded. “We date.” Then I grinned. “You could be an asshole.”

Elias laughed heartily at that. “You could be, too.” Then he leaned forward again. “But I don’t think so.” His lips on mine again. “I really like you, Eric.”

“I really like you.” Then we heard voices as the choir came in the sanctuary to practice the song for Sunday with the organ. “It’s about to be deafening here,” I whispered and pointed to the huge speaker and took his hand and led him down. Once everyone was in the choir loft, we made a quick escape to Burger King. It was there and no need to drive anywhere.

Elias got his salad again and that water. I picked up his drink.

“Hey!” Elias grinned.

I took a sip. “You’re worried about germs now?” It was disgusting, kind of bitter. I handed it back. “Yuk.”

He chuckled. “It’s an acquired taste.” He said mockingly smug.

“Well, I’ve not acquired it.” I drank from my Dr. Pepper to purge the taste. “How about Friday?”

Elias grinned. “Sure.” He nodded. “You’re from here, so you decide.” Then he looked at me more seriously. “How’s this going to work? In a traditional situation, the guy pays. Since we’re both guys….” He left the statement un-ended, but the train of thought was clear.

I shrugged. “I suppose whichever of us has the money and what was planned.” I grinned biting the cheeseburger. “Do you like shrimp?”

“Love them.” Elias nodded.

“I know the perfect place,” I said confidently. We could see choir was breaking up and they were leaving. “Of course, Eli, we have to keep this quiet as possible. If any one of those or others sees us…”

Elias nodded. “I know.” Then he smiled. “That’s twice you called me Eli. I always hated that name.”

I frowned. “Then I won’t use it again.”

Elias shook his head. “No, you don’t understand. I hated it when others called me Eli. With you, it just fits.”

We agreed we wouldn’t do more than kiss until we were ready to become a couple. It was clear to me that Elias wanted the same things I did. The next few days couldn’t drag more. By Friday afternoon I was practically whistling at work.

A woman that I had become friends with smiled when I gave her the mail for her office. “Big date?” She asked and I nodded, but she stuck out her bottom lip. “And you’re not telling?”

“Nope,” I said and walked on.

I was allowed to use the truck, but I paid for the gas when I did. I dressed casually and put on my Gray Flannel cologne. Mom, who was part bloodhound sniffed as I passed by.

“Do you have a date?” She smiled.

“I’m going out. Yes.” I kissed her on the cheek and left. Dad was thrilled I had become friends with the new pastor’s family. I didn’t dare tell him who and why.

I rang the bell when I arrived at the Jonases’ home. Joy answered the door again.

“Hi, Eric.” She greeted pleasantly. “Come in. Elias just got home. He was taking a shower. You can go on back. His room is the last door on the right.” Then she smiled. “It’s a shame Steve is busy and Jonathan has a game. They could have gone with you. Where are you two off to?”

“It’s this really unique place. Bowen’s Island. Nothing matches furniture wise. All the tables and chairs look like that came from different garage sales. The walls aren’t painted. In fact, you’re often asked to sign the walls.”

She frowned. “Sounds revolting.”

“Ah, but the man is a fisherman, that got injured and can’t fish anymore. So, he started making seafood and it’s the best seafood in the South as far as I’m concerned.”

She laughed. “Sounds just up Elias’ alley.” Then she came a little closer. “As you and Elias are friends, from now on, come in the back. It’ll be unlocked.”

I grinned. “Thanks, Mrs. Jonas.” And walked back toward Elias’ room. The fact that he just took a shower, I admit, I hoped to see more of him. But I dreaded it, too. Seeing more would make me want more, but wasn’t that what this was about? Feeding the fire of desire? I approached his door which was cracked an inch. I knocked as I peered inside. He was pulling his jeans over his briefs. He had a muscular butt. You could see the tan line from his waist down into the jeans. He was bare-chested.

“It’s open. Watch out for Pepe.” Elias said.

I opened his door slowly, then saw his monkey jump up to his tall dresser. “Hi.”

Elias smiled at me, came toward me, pushed the door shut and pinned me against the door with his body and both arms trapping me. He kissed me and I tasted the toothpaste he’d just used. His hair was towel dried and now his curls were everywhere. He still had that unshaven look and the short bristles tickled my face. Again, he was warm and his body was firm but silky to the touch. “Hi.”

I chuckled. “And we haven’t been on date one yet.”

He shrugged. “Best to get this sort of thing established, don’t you agree?”

“I like it.”

He laughed lightly. “Good.” His lips caressed mine again. “I plan to do it a lot.”

“I’m not stopping you.” I looked at him. He was not skinny. His muscles were tone, and he had the six-pack torso most guys wanted.

“You are so beautiful,” Elias said softly kissing me again.

I chuckled. “So, I’m the girl?”

Elias stood up straight. “Absolutely not. If you were, you wouldn’t be in here. But you attract me like no one has. To me, you are a beautiful man. That’s why I asked how old you were.”

“To see if I were an adult.” I nodded. “I’m glad I am.” He had chest hair and hair at the armpits, but he was breathtaking to me. “I am just stunned that you’re gay.”

He looked confused. “I was surprised you were. But I couldn’t help notice you staring. Day one and then the next time. I hoped you were, that’s why I kissed you Wednesday.”

“But you agree we should take this slow, right?” I asked.

“Of course.” Elias smiled. “I look forward to it.” He went back and got his brush.

As I walked past him to sit on his bed, I was a little startled when Pepe jumped on me, climbing up to my shoulder and chittered in my ear and proceeded to groom me. Elias just stared in shock, the brush over his head frozen in place.

“Hi, Pepe.” I greeted and scratched her back, which she let me know, that wasn’t where she liked to be scratched but maneuvered so I could get the spot she liked.

“She does not do that.” Elias marveled. “She has to get know you a while before she just jumps on people.” He grinned at a revelation he got from his pet. “She’s a good judge of character, so I have her approval at least.”

I could have kissed that monkey. “I hope so.” I sat on his bed.

“It took her five months to trust Steven.” Elias grinned.

“He’s not that bad, I’m sure.”

“Wait. You’ll see.” Elias chuckled as he put on a t-shirt. “He’s my brother and I love him, but he can be a pain in the butt.”

Eric meets a man that will be his soul mate.
Copyright © 2016 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 41
  • Love 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Since my father was a minister, we hosted many missionaries (and their families) as they visited churches to encourage the church to continue to support them. We lived in Hawaii through my early childhood and many missionaries would stop by on their way either to or from Asia and the mainland. They only stayed a few days, so we never really got to know them.

 

We were move to San Diego (my father's church denomination used to move ministers very regularly with an eight year stay being a long time) until after I graduated high school. San Diego was no quite the crossroads that Honolulu was and fewer missionaries stayed with us. I was never attracted to any of the guys who stayed with us.

 

But my older brother attended a religious college and brought one of his friends home one summer when our parents were traveling overseas. I remember playing Go against the friend. We were sitting cross-legged on the floor. He was only wearing boxers which were gapping! I had a very difficult time concentrating on the game with the view right in front of me!

 

Fortunately, while my grandmother was very proud that her two sons were both Protestant ministers, there was no pressure for my brothers and me to follow their lead. While the sons of Billy Graham and Jerry Falwell are following in their fathers' footsteps, most PKs don't.

 

If the ministry is a calling, how can parents justify pressuring their sons to become ministers? Elias' family seems misguided at best.

Link to comment

Just to say I've started to read this story ... As a result of a nice "fluke". Was checking e-mail after lunch and amongst the few new messages one from GA re. some R. Eric having updated a story - I hardly ever open these kind of mails, but this Sunday I did. Zoomed into your "resume" of stories and, well, was quite chaffed at the titles and short "summaries." Then my eyes caught this one, and noticed it was completed (I just HATE starting a story and then have to wait for ages plus an extra few days for good measure...)

 

The title caught my attention and decided to download all five chapters for a quick read. My of my, was I ever so pleasantly surprised to realise just how long most of the chapters are!

 

When I've finished reading your introductory paragraph, I just had interrupt myself to compliment you on a job well done. Whether you've done so intentionally, I don't know, but you've arrested my attention. Well done, I can't wait to withdraw and continue this prommising tale...

Link to comment
On 11/06/2016 11:22 PM, Rano said:

Just to say I've started to read this story ... As a result of a nice "fluke". Was checking e-mail after lunch and amongst the few new messages one from GA re. some R. Eric having updated a story - I hardly ever open these kind of mails, but this Sunday I did. Zoomed into your "resume" of stories and, well, was quite chaffed at the titles and short "summaries." Then my eyes caught this one, and noticed it was completed (I just HATE starting a story and then have to wait for ages plus an extra few days for good measure...)

 

The title caught my attention and decided to download all five chapters for a quick read. My of my, was I ever so pleasantly surprised to realise just how long most of the chapters are!

 

When I've finished reading your introductory paragraph, I just had interrupt myself to compliment you on a job well done. Whether you've done so intentionally, I don't know, but you've arrested my attention. Well done, I can't wait to withdraw and continue this prommising tale...

I was going to send you an email, but since I've read other reviews, I think I need to do it to all who read this. Preachers' Sons is basically true. The characters are based on real people and events. What happens did happen. Except to the relocation to Hawai'i. I met my Elias in 1978. We were both Preachers sons. And there was a connection I wished we'd explored. I didn't write this to share initially, it was more to get my mind straight. I was Southern Baptist, a Christian, married, but gay. I had been told who to marry, when and what I was expected to do. When I "came out" it was very traumatic. I found no role models to show me how I was to be. I remember asking, and thank God she was there, a female minister, lesbian and for all accounts, Southern Baptist. I asked. "What do I do? How to I find that person. In the straight world, you see a girl, date, marry and start a family." We couldn't marry then. I was not a party man, so bars held no draw for me. So, I began writing. I researched like mad. I've read the Bible, I know what it said. But as I said, God never said a thing about men with men. The humans that wrote the Bible did. Otherwise, there'd be eleven commandments, not ten. "Thou shall not marry one of your gender." All my stories have a similar theme, mostly. Love and a connection, then commitment and/or marriage. There is so much of what I call "fuck fiction." That doesn't bother me. But where does a man, or woman, no matter what religion they are, what political party they belong to or what they believe in. Where do they fit in life if they realize they're gay? We need stories. We need Fairy Tales. We were raised by a society, raised on stories and tales that have shaped who and what we are. Being gay is not mean you can't be who you are, Christian, Hebrew, Muslim, Atheist or any of the other beliefs. Just long for more than just the next conquest sexually. We are sexual beings. We're hardwired for it, physically and mentally. It's a part of our lives. Talk about it. Be yourself. Be gay. There's no need to end your own life or rely on drugs. For nearly forty years I felt I didn't fit in. And I didn't, not the world my parents showed me. But love is out there. I married, at last, to the right person. It's no Fairy Tale, believe me. But it is often comical. Two people who love and respect each other will get through life. Just do it together. I'm no great writer, but I wrote these stories, not just for me, but to share. Enjoy them. Maybe I can share some insights. Maybe not. Either way, enjoy them. And I have a lot more. Including Cinderfella which I don't expect to replace Cinderella, but who didn't lust for Prince Charming? I sure did.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Are you kidding!?  I was in love with Prince Charming from moment one!  And Richard Madden in Cinderella made me want him more!  But since he was straight and loved Cinderella, I left him alone, but though no one ever said he was an only child, I wrote about his little brother.  Marriages in times past were often for alliances in royal circles.  But why not have a real marriage?  You are right, there aren't many if any fairy tales for us.  So, I created one.  My characters are men, plain and simple.  Put them in Walmart with other men, you wouldn't know who was or wasn't gay until someone goes to bed with them, and I mean sex.  There's nothing wrong with a guy that cross dresses or is flamboyant.  But not gay men are.  I even wrote in several stories that God never said a word about men marrying men.  I even said in several stories there would be eleven commandments if he didn't approve.  Man said it to man.  Prophets wrote for men.  They said it was from God, but it's hearsay.  Christ said some are born unichs.  We know that's impossible since unichs are made, not born.  I'm not saying he lied, but he meant a man who couldn't have sex.  Sex with a woman?  My characters don't cruise, they aren't bar hoppers.   I try to show that love, faithfulness and commitment is preferable and a GOOD THING.  I found my Seth, Ben, Brad, Rain, Matt along with other characters I created, based on my husband.  He is my husband.  Eli was a guy we let the Church pull us apart, the story was the first I wrote during a time of personal crisis when I asked my self, what if we'd said YES to each other?  Now the story North Meets South: Worlds Collide is more autobiographical.  People often laughed when Daniel and I talked to each other.  He was quick witted and never backed down once from me.  He is a Yankee!  He is Italian.  He is Catholic.  He's from New York.  He has an accent, and people often wonder WHAT THE HELL!?  It couldn't work between us, but it does.  He loves me.  I love him.  We make it work.  Events I shave in North Meets South are true....every last one.  I just gave it a little more to make it readable.  But the events I tell you, did happen.  Every one.  I invite you to read it and all the rest.  I confess, I'm not a writer professionally.  There are potholes in the road I lead you down sometimes, but I wrote them.  Why?  To keep in my drawer?  I wanted to share them.  Read them please.  Ignore the errors you see.  Enjoy the forest, don't just look at a fallen tree.  I hope what you read will be enjoyable at least.  I've been amazed at the reception I've gotten so far.  Give my writing a chance and read them.  That's why they're there.  Thank you.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..