Jump to content
    reychop
  • Author
  • 2,366 Words
  • 772 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Yami no Kotoba ~Mirrors of the Past~ - 2. Chapter 2: Evolution

-o-o-o-

Chapter 2: Evolution

-o-o-o-

The “United Scientific Society of all Races”, otherwise known as USSR, is the most powerful and influential faction of the Eastern borders. Equipped with the most high tech machinery and ground-breaking technology, the entire colony is nestled atop a wide and gigantic floating platform that made its home in the heart of the eastern region.

Codenamed as “Saphiro”, it became the icon of human achievement, a symbol of its success as a race and as a society, and the pillar of hope, of influence.

Its cemented platform can always be seen patrolling a random pathway around the eastern regions, monitoring any kind of anomaly, always keeping a close watch of everything that might be of interest to their goals.

The colony itself is smaller than usual. While most colonies encompass more than three or so cities, Saphiro is only larger than a city. Its platform is fenced and protected by strong reinforced steels coated with compounds to resist decay from elemental forces. On the center of that platform lies the colony itself.

Surrounded by magnetic emitters, it is protected by a modified magnetic field- a far superior version of glass domes that enables the colony to remain untouched even at such high altitudes. Its nature enables it to deflect any passing object.

Beneath that magnetic field are another two layers of domes. The first, is a glass dome that offers the first line of defense in cases of emergency and the second, a padding that controls and regulates the conditions within the colony, offering optimal weather conditions even if a storm rages outside.

Within these protective domes lies the colony itself. Saphiro is made up of concrete, reinforced steel and various metals. It is the only colony known to build its foundation on metals. But what's more magnificent, is its white glow- an effect caused by the overlapping of metals on its surface.

This is the reason why it is also known as “The White City.” Made of concrete and steel, it became a gigantic monument that acted as a beacon on the sky. The buildings within are box-like in shape with only a few domed buildings dotting the city.

Another feature of the colony is the lack of roads. Teleport pods seemed to have accomplished that goals. Only Saphiro has that intricate system which eliminates the need for pollutant releasing vehicles and space-reducing concrete and asphalt roads.

The platform's center is occupied by the world's most enormous observatory tower. Both a lab and a headquarters building, it functions as the central administrations building for the USSR.

To top it all, is an intricate system beneath the platform that maintain its stability and keep it afloat the sky without difficulty. It utilizes Earth's magnetic fields and gravitational pull to minimize energy use. That system is further accompanied by three mini-satellites orbiting the platform. Each satellite has different functions. One for maintenance, one for observations and one for security.

The security satellite is one of the most active sector of its system. As it detects approaching object, it sets out to work.

And true enough, its surveillance systems detected an incoming helicopter. Immediately, the security satellite moved closer to the direction where the helicopter is coming from.

“Halt! You are now approaching a top security area. Standby for security clearance.”

Drones came out of the satellite and surrounded the helicopter. They paused for a brief second before returning to the satellite.

“Verification complete. The magnetic fields have been deactivated. Please drop the passenger on docking bay A-2. You are now clear to proceed.”

The helicopter entered, still accompanied by a lone drone to oversee its landing. As it arrives on the designated area, men in white suits lined to ensure the safety of the vehicle and its cargo.

The helicopter opened to reveal a slender woman in tight black suit. Her trench coat is open and her piercing gray eyes scanned the surroundings. Her small yet intimidating frame hides her old age, causing her to appear as a young adult on her 22s.

Her gaze caught the leader of the squadron sent out to oversee her landing.

In his eagerness, the leader bent his knee to the ground and bowed respectfully.

“Good morning ma'am. We are not expecting your--”

“Sgt. Mark, I am appalled by the lack of security in the colony. A figure of my importance shouldn't be greeted by mere lowlifes such as you.”

The Sgt. gritted his teeth in annoyance. Out of all the scientists in the colony it had to be her he's escorting. Not losing his self-control, he breathe deeply and stood up.

“Please, Dr. Ross, the union is waiting for you. You are the last to--”

“Did I told you to lift up your head, soldier? Really... Security nowadays is...lacking in discipline.” Sarcasm and contempt laced her voice.

“Anyway, I found myself unable to stay with you maggots. The lack of awareness and mental capacity is so disgusting. I'd love to grace you with my presence but I won't risk dropping my I.Q for you. Well soldier, what are you waiting for? Lead me to the administrations building. I'm sure you are smart enough to do that.”

“Of course, Doctor.” The soldier swallowed his pride and signaled his squad to check the helicopter.

Dr. Ross simply cringed in disgust as the soldier accompanied her to the teleport pod. Not sooner than that, she found herself free of the pests, at long last.

-o-o-o-

The administrations building is one of the most heavily defended of all. It is also the most important as it houses all control systems and control switches for their satellites, security systems and their colony's A.I. Without the building, the security systems will run rampant and the colony would collapse.

For that very reason, it have its own shielding and tight security system. Its entrance is protected by the most advanced robots. The walls are lined with self-repairing nanobots and each door is directly connected to the Ultimate A.I. which handles the recognition system.

The building itself isn't the administrations building. The building is actually the body of their A.I.- a supercomputer embedded on its basement. The administrations building is located at the top, which is actually a small satellite that can launch itself to space if an emergency arises.

Within that satellite gathers all the most capable scientists of the human faction.

“Good morning, Ladies and Gentlemen. We, at the USSR have conducted this meeting because of a breakthrough in our search. The forgotten has finally displayed signs depicted by the ancient scripture's prophecies.”

Scientists surrounded the central holographic projector and observed carefully the images taken from their observatory outposts.

“If you can see, this is a mutant. The image is captured by SS-Apollo on the outskirts of the Violet Gardens. The forgotten have been there all along. It's either our cousins of the block A-1 colony are harboring these hybrids or the entire colony is inhabited by the mutants themselves.”

A collective gasps echoed throughout the room. It is a long known fact that the imperfect specimens have been eradicated. If they survived the purification process then it could do real harm to the human genetic genome. It could pose a threat that might escalate to humanity's extinction.

“Now gentlemen, do not panic. Our observations are not yet conclusive. Nevertheless, we are curious as to why this particular mutant is out and about. Unless the administration of block A-1 is lying to us and uses illusions on their representatives, which is highly improbable---”

The steel door opened to interrupt their discussion. In walked Dr. Ross, her commanding posture dropped the temperature in the room.

“You interrupted my field work because you are concerned about the existence of this myth?”

The supervisor tensed and tightly gripped his pointer.

“Dr. Ross. This is not about your field work, not is it about a myth. Ancient records revealed that these mutant indeed existed. And it is up to us to rid our gene pool of such imperfection. If they have been surviving for the past centuries, it is indeed possible that they, despite the campaigns against them, managed to intermarry humans at some point in history.”

“So? What is the concern in that? Shouldn't we simply allow nature to take its course? Breeding with other species are actually encouraged in our world to strengthen our own gene pool. Was it not the original goal of the 2012 BioRegeneration Project? What do you think Dr. Ran?” Her impassive face turned to her friend who's sitting near the supervisor.

The Dr. brightened in agreement. But before he could open his mouth, the USSR representative cut him off.

“Your visions are admirable Dr. Ross. But you must remember that that damnable project caused our problems today. I understand that you as an advocate of “Natural Selection” and as a field geneticist would argue for their cause. But that doctrine is outdated and simply---”

Dr. Ross gave out a dry laughter. Despite her hard exterior, her researches showed that her interest is for humanity's ascension. And as an environmental scientist, her concern for nature and fairness is evident as well.

“It appears that you already closed your mind for my opinion, sir. If that is so, why bother inviting me in the first place? Am I expected to simply agree with your proposals?”

“I haven't even laid out my proposal! And you're already reacting.”

“You don't need to. It is clear that your biases are put forth before the interest of the people and of Science. If this foolishness ever amounts to anything, rest assured that my colony will have nothing to do about it. In fact, you'll find that I might actually go against this archaic system of yours.”

The supervisor narrowed his eyes.

“Don't be so confident, Dr. You'll find that testing our patience will not mean well for you and your people. You're a valuable asset to the union. But don't go beyond your limits.”

“Indeed? Then I guess it all becomes clear now. I'm out.”

And without another word, Dr. Ross is out of the room. The meeting would not end until a few more hours which slipped by faster than they originally thought.

-o-o-o-

Dr. Ross sat on the corner of the admin building's cafeteria. After she stormed out of the meeting, she helped herself to the library and gathered whatever devices and books she could find about the mutants. So far, she's reading the third book she collected.

Footsteps reached her ears.

“Dr. Ross. I knew you'd be here.”

“As obvious as it is, Ran.”

The other merely chuckled.

“Don't be like that Ross. You know the union can be forceful.”

“I can imagine. I'm sure they're already planning to eradicate that poor colony from the map. How stupid of them.”

“Don't jump to conclusions Ross. They simply want us to meet and observe the colony from the inside.”

“And how are they planning to do that? You heard how that colony have been secretive for years. They sent robots instead of ambassadors, vague projections instead of their elders and old fashioned letters instead of messengers when communicating with us. They are the most eccentric and isolated human settlement there is. How do you plan to enter that fortress?”

Ran sat beside the other and picked up a folder she's reading.

“So the meeting sparked your interest in the mutants?”

“You know I don't like to be kept in the dark.”

“Indeed.”

“You're avoiding my question, Ran.”

The other cracked a nervous smile.

“I know. But you won't like what they're planning.”

“Just tell me Ran.”

“Promise me you won't overreact, okay?” A sigh slipped out of her lips before paying attention to her friend.

“No guarantees.”

The other only laughed.

“That's good for me. Anyway, they're disguising a meeting with the colony's elders. I heard the supervisor calling the colony's administration and threatened to cut off its supplies if they don't agree. The meeting will of course involve us. While we're inside, we're observing the populace. That's all.”

Ross stared at her friend. Anger flashed across her gray eyes for a minute before she shook her head.

“I am ashamed to call myself a member of this union.”

“Indeed. But I know that that colony has more than meets the eye, Ross.”

“What do you mean?”

“After the call, I sense a spike of psionic emanations in their region, courtesy of the probes I sent there.”

“You mean they are psychics? Telekinetics? You're being unscientific Ran.”

The other's face hardened.

“Seriously, Ross, with all the evidences why not?”

“Perhaps. It is your field after all. The union wouldn't accept you if they found your work bogus.”

That seemed to lightened the atmosphere. The both of them shared a laughter.

“Exactly. Anyway, are you going?”

“No. I have to go back to the Forest. There's a spring there with unique properties. I have to study it.”

“If you say so. Would you like me to walk you back to your helicopter?”

“Unnecessary, Ran. Besides, I have to torture those fools for a while.”

“Again? No wonder Mark complains about you all the time.”

She chuckled. “I can't help it. They need to toughen up. They are under my faction after all. I can't have escorts that are weak of heart. The fact that two of my escort helicopters have been shot down on my way here and the security satellite never bothered to check up on why we fired one rocket and why we're missing half of our repair drones angered me.”

“What? You've been attacked?”

“By the separatists no doubt. You know the hate directed towards the USSR.”

“Point taken. Are you sure you don't want me to escort you?”

“Absolutely. Well, it's nice stepping in Saphiro again. But it lost its touch. It downgraded to primitive thinking and the rest of the union have become mindless puppets.” She sighed and turned the opposite direction. “I better get going.”

“Until next time, then.”

After her departure, Ran sank to his seat. The meeting will take place in a few days. And he had a bad feeling about it.

Copyright © 2011 reychop; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..