Jump to content
    reychop
  • Author
  • 2,643 Words
  • 697 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Yami no Kotoba ~Mirrors of the Past~ - 5. Chapter 5: Movement

-o-o-o-

Chapter 5: Movement

-o-o-o-

“A few hours! I asked for a few hours of good behavior and what?” Ralam's eyes glowed red as he towered above the two boys. Their ears are flattened and their tails curled around their body. Their submissive gesture did nothing, however, to appease the reigning Alpha in Block A-1's security division.

“Ral, don't be too hard on the boys.” Rick said as he carefully moved away from his growling superior.

“Rick von Chrischt! I knew you valued these rookies as a family. But this is not an excuse to go lenient on them.” His captain's angry eyes never left the cowering form of the boys. “And you! Didn't I tell you that guard duty is important! Abandoning your posts is not only a sign of blatant disrespect, but of betrayal of your comrade's trust!”

At his words, the boys sunk even further, feeling the guilt and fear as they took in their leader's smothering anger and the very aura he exuded.

The captain leaned closer, a look of pure rage marked his irritation. The meeting with the elders weighed him down. And the truth that they uncovered placed a stress upon all of them. Alkar himself warned them yet the old man's confidence is misplaced. For a hybrid, the seniors are far too young to know their heritage. And once the forbidden knowledge left the druid's lips, it brought out the innate rage within them. Being the Alpha, Ralam was affected the most.

“Ral, calm down.” The captain found his thoughts invaded by the soft and musical voice of Rick's partner. Only her motherly features seemed to calm them all, even during the meeting. “You know very well that they are only kids. Yes it was foolish of them to leave, they did lock the gates. It's not like our security systems have been compromised.”

Ralam heaved a weary sigh and found himself calming down. Rin's soft hands on his back seemed to enhance the effect as his eyes returned to their normal hue.

“Perhaps you're right, Rin. Rick, you talk to the boys.” He said as he found guilt bubble at the pit of his stomach. Even as an alpha, nobody wished their family to be submissive of them. And even for their foolery, the boys were after all, family who did not deserve his anger. “I guess I'm a little bit stressed from earlier that I just lost control.”

Rin's lips stretched into an understanding smile. She knew the burden that captains had.

“Don't worry about it. Get some rest. I'll talk to the boys and make them understand. Rick, will you please accompany our mighty leader to his den?” The lioness joked as the men gave her a smile. Rick guided their leader to his chambers. As they left, Rin turned to the still petrified youth within the room.

Heaving a soft yet tired sigh, she knelt in front of the boys and brought her hands upon their heads. This seemed to have snapped them out of their fear as they looked down and gazed upon their mother figure's loving face.

“We're sorry, Rin.” Both slowly whispered. Sam's eyes were now glued to the floor. But Sean's gazed upon the lioness' eyes with concern.

“Ralam is mad. I know that we did wrong. If someone is to blame, it should be me. Sam had nothing to do with it. I'm---”

“No! No... It was my fault. I should have--” Both got past their shock and realized the extent of their errors. Even though their colony was separated from the rest of the world, what they did had no excuse. In fact, it could even endanger the very safety of their colony.

Sam and Sean started talking. At first, their explanations were uncoordinated, each taking the blame and their sentences overlapping each other. Yet, little by little, they quieted down again, unsure of what to say next.

Amidst their insecurity and silence however, Rin let out a silent chuckle, garnering her confused look from the teens.

“I have to admit, that went better than I thought.” Their confused stares did not waver. And Rin found herself shaking her head. “Let's take a seat for a while. I'm sure your knees are shaking from all that tight air.”

Her giggle calmed both boys as they obeyed. Once they were seated, Rin met their gaze.

“Make no mistake, Ralam, Rick and even I were disappointed with what you did.” Again, their ears flattened and their gaze broke off from hers.

“But, I'm sure the captain isn't angry at you guys.” She paused as they looked at her with interest. “He, well, we all are stressed from the meeting with the elders. You must understand that an alpha's emotions control them most of the time. Ralam's outburst may be more intense than he intended and I assure you, he means no harm by it.”

A long silence enveloped the three as they thought about everything, contemplating the day's proceedings and the ramifications of their actions.

That silence was soon broken by Sean, whom by now, regained his confidence. The leopard's ears twitched and his golden eyes finally narrowed in understanding.

“I understand. But still, I have to apologize. I seemed to be causing problems lately.”

Rin's giggles grew louder.

“You have no idea, Sean.”

Both looked at each other and sent the woman a questioning gaze.

“Now I don't want you to blame yourself, Sean. But it is important that I inform you of the meeting's true purpose. I'm sure the captain will brief you later but it is helpful that I give you guys a heads up. It appears that our history is not what it appears.”

“Eh? What do you mean?”

“Have you ever attended a mass in the temple, Sean?”

Sam laughed, finally eliminating the last strands of tension in the room.

“This kitty? Your talking about Sean, Rin. You know he refuse to be “indoctrinated” with the elder's myths. But you do know that the elders are right, yeah?”

Rin placed a hand on her chin.

“Apparently. But that wasn't the case at all. Tell me, Sam, what do you know of our history?”

“You mean our origins right? Well, let's see.” He shifted his weight on the chair and leaned forward. “Elder Zakum used to tell us stories all the time. Once, he told us that we are the favored children of mother Gaia. Her throne is located underneath our very colony and we became her most beloved children. The elders in effect, became the stewards of her creations and we, the soldiers of her words. The goddess is said to have descended from the sky at around 2012 and marked her landing site as her holy ground. Seeing the destruction that the outsiders did to this world, she created Kald'Ry'N as a sanctuary and made the forest so they can guard her haven.”

Rin laughed bitterly.

“You truly are a bright child to have remembered all of that.” Sam's eyes watered in joy while Sean snorted, earning him a glare from the panther. “But everything isn't what it appears to be. Apparently, the elders hid a secret.”

The boys looked at her intently, their interest piqued by her last sentence.

“Yes, children. Apparently, we are more closely related to the outsiders than we originally thought. But the story isn't as simple as one may think.”

Both leaned closer. It wasn't everyday that the seniors shared something. It was rare enough that the elders shared something other than their doctrines.

“Everything owes its roots to an event in 2012. This event sparked a chain reaction that changed the Earth's surface and how nature operates. The story goes like this.”

-o-o-o-

“I'm worried, Rick.” Ralam whispered as he laid down on his soft bed.

“Do you think the kids are okay? I--” Rick gazed upon his friend and sat on the bed. His hand reached the other's shoulder and silenced him by placing an index upon the Alpha's lips.

“Ralam, don't worry. I'm sure Rin has calmed them down by now. And the boys looked up to us, to you, with respect. I doubt that they will hold a grudge.”

“Yeah. I guess you're right. It's just that, I was so worried. After leaving that meeting, I just can't stomach what happened to our ancestors. I guess I was filled with an uncontrollable rage. And then when I arrived to find the office empty, all I could see is red.”

“You're not at fault Ralam. Even Rin was affected. Ironically, she was the one who calmed us down and allowed us to evade the elders' wrath.”

Ralam chuckled. “That's right. She's always the one who served us our guiding light. I admire her for that.”

“Yeah. She may be the only female in the security division but she's the best there is.”

The captain smiled for a bit. But his face turned serious.

“What of the elders' plans Rick?”

The other turned serious as well.

“I'm not really sure if I understand their motives. But I do know that they are bringing something big in our colony. Whatever it is, though, I will not allow those senile superstitious old fools to ruin our colony.”

“Wait a second, Zakum is not old.”

“That's right. But he's the most sensible one among the bunch, so he doesn't really counts.”

Both laughed.

“Everything's beyond our reach or so it seems. I guess we'll just have to get ready and wait it out, then. Who knows what they could be really planning.”

“That is the best action to take. Captain, you should get some rest. I'll coordinate with Rin and brief the rookies. The other branches must be informed as well. We can't keep them out of the loop.”

A sigh could be heard. “I hate being useless.”

Rick just laughed as he made for the door.

“You're not useless captain. If ever, you're the best captain everyone could wish for. Also, you're the best father figure to have, so what's useless about that?”

“I guess, if you put it that way. Wait a minute, are you calling me old?”

Rick sweatdropped as he slowly chuckled. Not bothering to answer his captain, he left the room. They have a lot of things to do.

-o-o-o-

“So you finally decided to back down from your throne and follow our plans, doctor?” The man before her smirked, earning him a displeased glare from the woman.

“Make no mistake, Slavick. I am not for your twisted goals and ill-informed decision. I want to be there to see for myself the very first time your vaunted Union commit mistakes. By then, it would give the people a chance to see past their blind devotion to your so called “Science” and actually think for themselves.”

Slavick growled at the tiny woman. True, she was well respected in her field. But that gave her no right to insult the Union and its capacities.

“Look woman, if the Union sees promise in something, it does what it has to do to improve its system. The admin board took careful deliberations and studies before undertaking and pursuing this matter. Whatever doubts you may have is simply unjustified.”

“Is it? The Union isn't what it claims to be. A scientific community? Don't make me laugh. You are nothing but fools that cling so desperately to outdated and ill-conceived traditions. You plan on spying the colony to achieve your goals? That's a single reason why I should doubt your so called decisions.”

Dr. Slavick's breath hitched. Feeling his blood pressure rising, he heaved a sigh and turned his back.

“Be that as it may, the Union will remain at the top. That's all there is to it.”

“The union is temporary. It always had been and it will remain as that. Just like the ancient governments and scientific communities of old, it will be replaced when it had outlived its purpose. You are a narrow-minded fool if you cannot accept that.”

Dr. Ross felt herself smirk as she heard the man's exasperated growl.

“Fine! Be that way. I'll be there to laugh at you when all had been assimilated under the Union.”

“Big ambitions from a trash. I don't know if I should laugh or cry. You're pathetic Slavick. Should the Union achieve its goals would you expect it to cherish its pawns? Face it, the Union is a King and it sees all of us as its pawns. You may have fancy names attached to your suits and luxurious offices to dump your pathetic dreams into, but in the end, you're nothing but a pawn.”

“You! I'll... Gahh! I'll not forget this!” Slavick said as he tore at his hair. He made his exit. But it wasn't glorious as he had expected. Tripping over a security robot, he stumbled upon the steel floor before slipping on a teleport pod. It seemed that in his anger, he lost sight of his path. And that brought a smile upon Dr. Ross' lips as she left the briefing room.

As she made her exit, she made her way towards Dr. Ran's quarters.

“Ross! How goes the meeting with the over-inflated ego?”

Ross laughed and flipped open her phone, which miraculously recorded their entire conversation.

“Woah, you ripped him an ass, Ross. I love it when you do that. You have this effect on people.”

“The Union is getting weaker. I just gave him a wake up call. But it appears that he refuse to do so. One thing that we all must realize is that change is constant. It is useless to cling to a single time space. When that happens, you'll just be assimilated and be devoured.”

Ran scratched his head.

“I'm confused.” Ross smiled. This might be an opportunity to teach him something. Inviting herself to her old apprentice's room, she made herself comfortable. Her eyes wandered across the engravings and paintings upon the walls. The room itself is wide, a size that can house a family of four. The bed is huge and the seats wrapped in dark purple satin.

“The Union outdid itself, huh? They equated Luxury with Progress. A sad thing.”

Her eyes met that of Ran's.

“Remember what I told you all those years ago?”

“How could I forget? I always seem to recall it whenever I tend to my projects. It bothered me when you said the Union is temporary.”

“Correct. In the natural world, change is inevitable. It's either you change or you perish. It's no different in the human society. As much as we would like to think that we are masters of our destiny, we are subject to nature's laws and designs. We cannot escape the inevitability of the natural order. Mass extinctions occur for a reason and so does the emergence of new species.”

“What I'm saying is, the Union's days are numbered. You have to free yourself of the dependencies you have to this failing superstructure.”

“I don't understand Ross. How can that be?”

“The Union is planning something that's beyond its current capabilities. That's all that I gathered. Nevertheless, I'm telling you right now that you have to be prepared.”

Ran sank to his seat. It was all too much to take in. Before he could question his motherly figure however, a voice rang throughout the speakers.

“Attention all personnel. The solar storm is expected to cease on the next day. Please commence packing procedure and prepare for a briefing tomorrow. Repeat--”

“Well, it looks like we'll finally getting some action soon.” Ross stated as she let the announcements be drowned in the background.

“Indeed. Ross?”

“Yes?”

“Where will you be staying?”

“The Union assigned a quarter for me. Don't worry.”

“Well, that's good.”

“I better get going though. I have to organize my things.”

Copyright © 2011 reychop; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..