Jump to content
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Collections - 7. Chapter 7 -- Owah-Tagu-Siam

Adventures in seventh grade, when the worst thing that could happen is embarrassment...

Owah-Tagu-Siam

 

The phrase "Owah-Tagu-Siam" came into my head today and, for reasons known only to my brain, seems to refuse to leave. Forced to think about where I first heard those words, I -- possibly wrongly -- come to seventh grade, lunch, Jay Gladky, Bob Grimm, Mike Raphan, and Bob Grandt.
Seventh grade was kind of an unmoored year for me, especially the first half. I didn't yet have my paper route for financing, I was still struggling unsuccessfully with my first foreign language, Hebrew, and I wasn't yet Ralph Foster's faithful assistant on the JV soccer and track teams. But I did have a mess of unfamiliar metal in my mouth, which is how I met Jay Gladky.

The powers that controlled Speech at South, namely Maggie McNamara, had decided my braces had given me a lisp that needed to be corrected, and none of my seemingly logical reasoning that the lisp would go away when the braces did prevented me from missing study hall and instead being forced to practice phrases like "Essau Wood sawed wood. Essau Wood would saw wood. Essau Wood would saw wood with his wood saw." Now Jay Gladky, despite seemingly perfect teeth, had managed to develop a sibilant S of his own, so we were stuck with Maggie McNamara together. That wasn't completely bad. Maggie was no Janet Porter, but Janet Porter wasn't going to appear for another two years, and Maggie McNamara always seemed more accessible than Janet Porter anyhow. Still, I didn't care much for Essau Wood, or Grandpa and his Banana Oil ! -- which, in retrospect, has no S's to practice on -- or the lyrics to Gilbert and Sullivan's "Tit Willow." And let me tell you, when I got to the part, "And I said to him, 'Dickie Bird, why do you sit...' " Jay Gladky was all over the floor. But meeting Jay at least gave me someone new to have lunch with, as it seemed my grade school friends had been assigned to other lunch periods. And Jay introduced me to his friends, Bob, and Mike, and Bob.

I think they all knew each other from their grade school, whichever one that might have been, so I was the new kid in the group. And for forty-five minutes each day, between Twinkies and Devil Dogs, they got to practice their tricks and jokes on me. They told me I was looking at my nails the wrong way, I was looking behind me the wrong way, I was crossing my legs the wrong way, and probably a half-dozen other things I now forget. But, most of all, they delighted in having me repeat the magical words, "Owah-Tagu-Siam." Also, "Owah-Tanas-Siam," though I always liked the first one better. In the same way, I later preferred the chorus of "Witch Doctor" to the equally catchy refrain of "Yellow Polka Dot Bikini." I don't know why I liked saying "Owah-Tagu-Siam." I clearly knew what it meant. Maybe I did it because it sounded so dumb that it made everyone laugh.

In any case, my friendship with Jay, Bob, Mike, and Bob didn't much go anywhere. Mike and Bob Grimm played soccer, I think, so I may have seen them afternoons for the next couple of years in the locker room. And Bob Grandt and I tried to learn chess, which we kind of massacred because I had no head for strategy. And when my braces went away with the Hebrew, they took my lisp with them. In college, in Ohio, the powers that controlled Speech in the Education Department were more troubled by the depth of my voice and wanted me to do exercises to raise my pitch, but I was having none of it. Still, all these years later, I'm stuck with "Owah-Tagu-Siam" and Essau Wood. Who "one day sought a saw like no other wood saw Wood saw would saw wood."

copyright 2019 by Richard Eisbrouch
  • Like 1
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..