Jump to content
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Collections - 26. Chapter 26 -- Senior Consumer In Action

Let me start by saying that I usually don’t use coupons because they’re rarely for anything we need. But last week in Walgreen’s, I was given a “5 Dollars Off Your Next Purchase” coupon, so I thought, “OK, I’ll pick up some vitamins next week.”

Except today, with my five dollar coupon, I discovered that the store didn’t stock my vitamins. So I walked around looking for something we needed. Failing at that, I called Tom.

“Eye drops,” he said.

Luckily, his brand was on sale – seventeen bucks for one tiny bottle or twenty-two for two. An easy decision, and I took my two bottle microbox and my five dollar coupon to the register, expecting to pay eighteen bucks. But the clerk said, “No, this coupon is for your next purchase.”

“This is my next purchase,” I pointed out. “I got the coupon last week.”

The clerk replied, “And on this sale, we’ll scan the coupon, and then you’ll get five dollars off your next purchase. It’s a little confusing.”

No kidding. But I agreed, already forming a plan. Except then, the eye drops rang up at the full price – not showing the sale – and the clerk said, “Well, you need the digital coupon for that discount.”

“What’s a digital coupon?” I asked.

“Something you get when you’re in our rewards program.”

“But I am in your rewards program. That’s how I got the ‘five dollars off’ coupon.”

“Let me check,” the clerk said, quickly adding, “Yes. Yes, here you are.”

As the manager did the necessary override, I picked up some nearby cough drops, which Tom had also mentioned. I figured I’d use them as my second purchase to get my promised five dollars without waiting another week.

Both sales went through smoothly, automatically summoning digital coupons from the Ethernet, except the cough drops also generated a new “5 Buck Off” coupon. But since I thought that might happen, after squinting at the barely visible ‘sale’ tag on the shelf, I was ready with two tubes of toothpaste. I got them both for a buck, seven.

Overall, I saved sixteen dollars off fifty-six, though I only went into the store expecting to spend ten. Proving, as Stephen Sondheim wrote in a song about Italian bargaining, “You haven’t really saved a single lire, but you’ve won.”

The three sales also each generated a “Save $2.00" coupon. But they were for contact lens solution, which Tom and I don’t use. So I trashed them.

copyright 2019 by Richard Eisbrouch
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..