Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Recycle - 4. Chapter 4

The second through ninth people who were attacked went almost unnoticed. Their tattoos were reported, but accounts came in scattered: Amherst, South Hadley, Northampton, and other nearby places with colleges. It took the second one in Waldron for Elena to start putting them together.

In the series, the first wasn’t even theirs. That was fourth: Amherst, Northampton, South Hadley, Waldron, Westfield, Greenfield, Holyoke, Chicopee, Springfield, and then Waldron again.

“Too bad it didn’t start over in Amherst,” senior detective Don Burris noted. “There’d be a pattern.”

“We don’t have enough for a pattern yet,” Lt. Ike Omari pointed out, and Don grinned.

“Just trying to help.”

“It’s all welcome,” Elena told them. “And I’m happy we have the first repeater – if you can be happy about that sort of thing.”

Sgt. Jae Ryu laughed. “It breaks up our routine,” she joked. The six daytime officers were having an informal lunch meeting, mostly sitting at their desks.

“Rather than the usual small town stuff,” Rob Perez agreed. He was also a sergeant.

“And Northampton didn’t want to take over?” Owen asked. “They usually do.” He was the only one standing, leaning against his office door.

“At the moment, they’re not saying,” Elena went on. “They still think it’s college pranks so feel it’s below them.”

“More important things to do,” Jae commented, using air quotes.

Elena hesitated. “Frankly, I hope they’re right.”

“What else could it be?” Don pursued.

“More serious,” Owen offered. “If someone misjudges the drugs.”

“I don’t think he means to do that,” Ike objected.

“What makes you think it’s a guy?” Elena asked.

“Well, you know... darts... guns. Seems like guy stuff.”

“That’s what I thought,” Owen agreed.

“Except I started shooting darts at five,” Jae advised them, almost with a smile.

“With Velcro tips, I’ll bet.” Don was grinning. “So did my kids.” He was sure Jae remembered that she was younger than his youngest.

“It could be a woman,” Owen confirmed. “So let’s just call it ‘the shooter.’”

“It? You really swallow this stuff,” Ike jibed.

“‘It,” Owen insisted.

“Yes, Sir.” And Ike snapped off a salute – which made no sense since none of them wore uniforms, except for dress photos.

“Anyway, you’ve heard about the first student,” Elena pushed on. “The one here... Because they’ve all been students.”

“A mix of boys and girls?” Don asked.

“Women and men,” Owen corrected. But he said it lightly.

“It doesn’t matter,” Elena overrode. “None of them seem to involve sex – no one’s been touched that way. It’s just a quick dart, wait, groggy, pass out, tattoo, leave.”

“There’s your pattern,” Jae offered.

“Well, almost,” Elena allowed. “There have been a couple of kids who played right into whoever’s doing this – passed out in public... in not really isolated areas.”

“The dart wasn’t used?” Ike inquired.

“Not that we know of.” And Elena told them about the first repeater. “She was one of the exceptions – there’ve been three. Good opportunities the shooter simply grabbed.”

“How so? On this one?” Ike wanted to know.

“She’s another Waldron student,” Elena answered. “But she’d been to a frat party at UMass. And she’d gotten drunk but had the sense to get a ride back.”

“Good for her,” Don commended.

“Though she didn’t go straight to bed,” Elena admitted. “Said her suitemates were making too much noise.”

“There’s always that,” Jae seemed to recall.

“Instead, she sat on a dark bench and looked at the moon and stars.”

“That’s safe,” Rob joked.

“In most cases, it might be,” Elena continued. “It was right in front of her dorm... barely out of the light.”

“Did she pass out?” Don asked.

Elena nodded. “She thinks so. Then she woke up with the tattoo.”

“How much later?” Owen questioned.

“She can’t remember. She left the party around one – the friends who were with her agree on that. And it’s a half-hour drive from Amherst...”

“Faster at that point,” Ike said. “It’s only thirteen miles.”

“So she could’ve been on the bench by 1:30,” Elena confirmed.

“When did she wake up?” Owen asked again.

“About 3:00,” Elena went on. “Said she noticed that on her clock as she fell into bed.”

“When did she see the tattoo?” Jae wondered.

“The next morning – in the mirror. Said it was a shock.”

“I’ll bet,” Rob agreed. “But couldn’t it have happened at the party?”

“She insists she was sober.” Then Elena considered. “But how sober can you be when you pass out a half-hour later?”

“When did she file the report?” Ike wanted to know.

At that point, Owen took over. “Sunday morning – Cassidy put it in our system. He was working the front desk, while Tabish and Espinoza were out in town. When I saw it Monday, I gave it to Elena since she handled the first one.”

“And you met with the girl?” Don asked Elena.

“That afternoon,” she explained. “She gave me more details. That’s also when I met her friends.”

“But the bench would’ve been light,” Ike objected.

“When I first saw it – yes. But I went back that evening... when it was dark enough... and it’s ten feet from the nearest lamppost.”

“So the shooter got lucky?” Rob asked.

“That’s part of a pattern,” Elena told him. “First with a guy in Holyoke... though that was more drugs than drinking... easy stuff... pot. But the other one – in Greenfield – was definitely alcohol. The kid passed out on his parents’ porch.”

“And they’re all students?” Jae wanted to confirm.

“Yes. College... University... Community college...”

“I wonder if the shooter’s one?” Don asked. “Or just more comfortable around them?”

“Could be either,” Elena agreed.

“And that’s all we have to go on?” Ike asked.

“Everything so far... and I gathered this by calling around for two days.”

“And so far, the total’s ten?” Jae also wanted to confirm.

“That we know of... there may be others. People who haven’t called... or come into the stations.”

“Out of embarrassment?”

“Or they realized the tattoos wouldn’t last.”

“Is there any regularity?” Owen asked. “Say only weekends?... well, Friday and Saturday nights?”

“Not really. It’s like the shooter goes out every night and – as Rob said – sometimes gets lucky.”

“So it’s stalking as well as shooting,” Owen restated.

“Technically,” Elena agreed. “Though in some ways, it’s more like Jae and her Velcro darts – low end practice on something harmless, like field mice. Which we always have too many of.”

“In any case,” Owen summed up, “that’s what we have, and that’s what Elena’s working on. So if any of you have any suggestions...”

They all agreed to think.

“And now, we’d better get back to work,” Ike reminded the group.

“And what do you think we’ve been doing?” Rob cracked.

Copyright © 2021 RichEisbrouch; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 6
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Now, list the spots and see what similarities they have, ease of access, lighting, location to nearest other buildings and so forth...

  • Like 1
Link to comment

There is definitely a sinister element to the attacks. Maybe the perpetrator dislikes college kids for some reason?

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I recall a news story about 15 years ago where people were being shot with animal tranquilizing darts. BTW 'animal' tranquilizers in darts are normally Detomidine Fentanyl (by Farmos) and Carfentanyl (Janssen Pharmaceutica), so police need to be aware of 'doctored' illegal versions of those solutions.

Dart guns allow shooter to increase amount of CO2 (or 'other' propellant) to fire faster, farther and with greater penetration force. 

Shooter can vary length of needle depending on target and necessity to penetrate thicker skin on animals (or clothing on people). When a dart hits a person, depending on where it 'hits', it can result in penetrating chest and back wounds that could puncture a lung or worse. Or it could puncture an artery, causing rapid and deadly blood loss. 

As a police Sgt says on an old time police show (I watch reruns NOT original), " Just the facts, Ma'am"

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Thanks.  This and the comments you made on the original version of chapter 14 are great, and I've now made changes that may cover them all.  I'll post that shortly, replace the original 14, and delete the first revision of 14, posted as 15 (revised 14).

Edited by RichEisbrouch
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..