Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Kid On The Bike - 10. Chapter 10

Henry Chang didn’t seem dangerous when Elena stopped by the Scotts’ house again. This time, she explained who she was and why she was there. Henry Chang looked directly at her and nodded, politely, maybe because Ervin Scott was standing beside him. But he immediately followed, “I really don’t have time right now. I’m studying for a test.”

“I may only need five minutes,” Elena assured him. “It doesn’t make sense to put this off.”

Ervin Scott smiled at Henry Chang expectantly and seemed to offer support. Meanwhile, a very curious Pop-Pop kept grinning, giggling, looking at his mother, and pointing at Elena as if to say, “I saw her first. She’s mine.”

That made Henry smile until he noticed Elena had registered that, and he tried to look serious. But he couldn’t because Pop-Pop kept clowning. Finally, Henry Chang said, “She’s not interested in you, Pop-Pop. First of all, she’s too young. Second, she’s married – see the ring?” He pointed at Elena’s finger. “And third, she probably has kids of her own. How would you like a lot of noisy little children running around this place? They’d be worse than cats.”

Pop-Pop made a nasty face, a rude noise, and then a matching gesture. “Now, there,” his mother told him. “I’ll give Henry your cookies.”

At that threat, Pop-Pop turned and headed defensively to the kitchen while Ervin Scott apologized.

“He gets this way around pretty women,” she told Elena. “And he thinks all women are pretty.”

Elena explained that she didn’t take that as an insult and hoped she didn’t deprive Pop-Pop of his snacks. Meanwhile, she was wondering if Henry Chang was going to return to being silent again, after he’d showed a part of himself he’d tried to keep hidden. “Five minutes?” she repeated to him.

He seemed indecisive, but Ervin Scott was still standing there smiling. Finally, he allowed, “OK – but outside.” And he started for the door.

Ervin Scott simply nodded at Elena, maybe not wanting to say anything that would stop her border. But she did seem to understand.

Elena expected Henry Chang would stop on the front porch, where there was a pair of wicker armchairs. But when she got outside, he was already down the two steps and onto the gravel drive. “Would you rather walk?” Elena asked.

“A little.” And he glanced back at the house.

They headed toward a small barn. It was dark out, but there was a bright yard light ten feet up the building’s side, which let Elena see. Still, Henry Chang positioned himself where she was staring into the light and his face was shadowed. Elena decided not to fight that, knowing they just needed to talk.

“I suppose it’s the rumor,” he began.

“You’ve heard about it?”

“Yes.”

“We’ve been asked to follow it up.” Elena thought to add, “As much for your protection as for others,” but didn’t think he’d believe it.

“It’s stupid,” he dismissed. “I’ve never sold drugs. Never bought them. Never used them. And never been given them by my friends.”

“So you know nothing about them?”

He laughed, reflexively, then – as quickly – cut it short. “I grew up in New York City. Everyone knows about drugs.”

Elena smiled, waiting for him to go on. But he wouldn’t. “Do you know how the rumor began?” she asked. “Or why?”

He shook his head, and Elena realized she’d have to ask questions that couldn’t be answered by “yes” or “no.”

“It would help because, if we knew the cause of the rumor,” she explained, “that might be the quickest way to stop it.”

He seemed to consider that, shifting his weight from foot to foot. To Elena, it seemed like a classic stall.

“I only know there’s a girl who likes me and a guy who doesn’t – maybe because the girl doesn’t like him – at least, not the way he wants. And I don’t feel anything for the girl – she’s just a friend.” He paused. “That’s the best I can figure.”

“That might be enough,” Elena allowed. Then she asked a harder question. “Can you give me their names?”

He stopped shifting and immediately shot, “No. Ask at school.”

And she lobbed back, “We’ve been trying not to do that – to protect you.”

He simply looked at her. Maybe surprised. Maybe as much disbelieving.

“I don’t know how much you know about the school,” she went on. “Because you’ve only been here – in the area – for a year.”

He nodded, accepting that.

“But four years ago, there was a huge scandal – lawsuits – TV reporters – everything you can imagine. And it started over one student’s reputation – and discrimination.”

If he’d heard about it, he didn’t explain. He only nodded.

“So there are people trying to protect you,” she assured him. “And to prevent that kind of damage from happening again.”

She realized he could quickly reply, “They’re only trying to protect themselves.” But he didn’t.

“So if we can quietly talk with these two students – away from school and maybe at their houses – we may be able to stop this rumor.”

He seemed to absorb that. But he still wasn’t giving any names. “Ask at school,” he repeated. Then softly added, “Please.”

At least, he’d continued to be polite, Elena noted. So maybe he did believe her.

“I’ll do that and get back to you,” she told him. “Is this the best place?”

He seemed to consider again.

“Yes... I guess,” he slowly decided. “At night.”

“I don’t think anyone will see us.” She waited. “Is that why you wouldn’t talk at Theo’s?”

He nodded.

“We thought that might be the most casual place,” she admitted. “Sorry.”

He nodded once more. That seemed to be his best trick.

“And thank you,” she finished. “Please say ‘good night’ for me to Ervin Scott and Pop-Pop.”

And she turned and left before he could give her even a silent answer.

Driving home – where she did have a husband and two young children, as Henry Chang had guessed – she wondered how much to trust him. He’d admitted to being a city kid who – almost naturally? – knew about drugs. But a lot? And even though he insisted he’d never bought, sold, or used them, she bet he could find a dealer quickly enough if he had to – like if a kid at school was pressuring him or bullying him into it.

Elena also hadn’t asked why he was living in Massachusetts. To get away from drugs or to find new markets for them? And even if he was in no way interested in being near drugs, and he wasn’t being bullied, he might be able to tell other kids – his new friends in Waldron – how to find them, perhaps by connecting online. And maybe one of them – this girl or this boy – was selling them. He said people at school would know, but Elena knew the teachers, security guards, and administrators didn’t. All they had was this rumor about “an Asian kid.”

Richard Eisbrouch 2022
  • Like 10
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Elena is doing great analysis of Henry's responses and what she did and did not ask.  All possibilities have to be considered until the evidence limits those possibilities to reality.  Henry's a smart kid.  It will be very interesting to see how this goes.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..