Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Kid On The Bike - 5. Chapter 5

After Elena and Rob focused on one student, she reported to Owen. “This could have started up to a year ago,” she began, “when he moved here at the beginning of ninth grade. He’s now two months into sophomore year.”

“Do we know anything more about him?” Owen asked.

“Not yet. Rob and I need to know how far we can go on anything that circumstantial.”

“Poke around,” Owen advised. “See how much you can get while causing the least amount of trouble.”

Elena really wanted him to define “least.” Instead, she told him, “Rob’s already done that... and I have. We can’t go any further without asking some direct questions.”

“Where?” Owen wondered. “And to who?”

“First, at the high school. We have no idea where he lives or who his parents are. There are no property or phone listings, and – unfortunately – it’s a fairly common name. It’s also the name of a popular novelist.”

That got Owen curious. “Who?”

“Henry Chang.”

Owen seemed to consider.

“He writes mystery novels,” Elena had to add. “Set in Chinatown... the one in New York City.”

Owen shook his head. “Never heard of him.” Then he grinned. “But then I don’t read a lot of mysteries... don’t have the patience.”

Elena laughed. “Will we need a warrant for this?”

Owen shook his head. “Not just for questions... But for any investigation... on a kid still in high school... especially at this time and in this area... we need to cover ourselves.” He seemed to consider again. “But I can take care of the paperwork – it’s minor. So you... or Rob... but not both of you... go ask a couple of casual questions at the high school – the ones that will get us furthest. Maybe just his parents names and phone numbers.”

“They may be divorced,” Elena pointed out.

“Then get the best name – the parent he’s living with.”

Elena was happy for the guides. “I’ll handle this,” she assured him. “It’s really my job more than Rob’s.”

Owen nodded. “And remember – as Ike said – track your time. If this gets bigger, and we have to put more people on it, we need to know how much we’ve already spent.” He smiled. “But if it turns into nothing, we don’t want to waste a lot of time.”

Elena understood, and – after explaining to Rob – who was fine with her decision – she went to the high school.

“Just one question,” she told Liz. “It may not even need Maureen to answer.”

Liz waited. Then she nodded.

“I need one student’s parents’ names and phone numbers.”

“You know I can’t give out that information,” Liz immediately replied. “We’re not allowed.”

“Then can Maureen? If we could find this anywhere online, we wouldn’t bother you. But it seems they may be new arrivals.”

Elena was sure she’d get the information, especially since Maureen had probably started the investigation.

“I’ll ask,” Liz said agreeably, though seeming doubtful, and in less than a minute, she was back. “Maureen repeated that we’re not allowed to give out this information – normally. But since we’re as concerned about this as you, tell me the student’s name.”

“Henry Chang.”

Liz seemed to consider – maybe everything she knew about the student. To Elena, it didn’t seemed much because Liz quickly continued, “Let me see what we have.” She sat at her computer, typed, read, then puffed out her cheeks. “Why Henry?” she asked.

Elena admitted they barely had a reason. “We mainly know that he appeared in this area a year ago. There’s no record of him in any middle school – at least, not on their graduation lists.”

Liz seemed to accept that.

“And the name’s too common to trace,” Elena went on. “But he has two possible online friends, and they’re both in New York... the city.”

Liz nodded again.

“So if we could talk with his parents – or one of them – for a couple of minutes – to see if they’re concerned...”

She didn’t finish. Liz was with her.

“But if they’re not, and there’s nothing there, then we’ll drop this till something else comes in.”

Liz seemed to hesitate. “That really isn’t the kind of question you should be asking,” she offered. “It’s our responsibility – the high school’s – maybe specifically Maureen’s.”

Elena waited. Then: “Would you rather call?”

Liz paused again. “I will. This definitely seems too personal for the police. And I’ll get back to you.”

“Thanks.” She considered. “Of course, parents are likely to say one thing – that there’s nothing to worry about – to protect their privacy. Then take it out on the kid.”

Liz almost reflexively disagreed. “Henry not that kind of student. He’s never been in trouble – in fact, we know almost nothing about him besides his grades.”

She waited for Elena to absorb that.

“But let me call...” she checked the time, “...later this morning. And I’ll phone you as soon as I’m done. Though his parents may both work.”

“We can wait.”

She thanked Liz and went back to the station. She had other work.

Liz called after lunch. “Now this is weird,” she started. “I can’t reach Henry Chang’s parents. The number in his file is for the family he rents a room from.”

“He does?” Elena asked. “Or with his parents?”

“They pay the rent, but only he lives there.”

Elena considered that. This didn’t seem to be some poor family, crowded in one room, where the son might need to sell drugs to pay expenses. Meanwhile, Liz was silent.

“Is this family his guardians?” Elena went on. “The parents?”

“ I didn’t ask. Didn’t even think about it,” Liz confessed. “I was too surprised.”

Elena again considered, then admitted, “As you said --‘Weird.’” She hesitated. “I’ll ask Owen – my boss – what we can do.”

Liz laughed. “You know I know Owen... you don’t have to remind me who he is.”

Elena also laughed. “I was being polite. You’ve got plenty of other things to remember.”

Liz chuckled.

“Anyway,” Elena finished. “I’ll ask Owen what we’re allowed to do and what it would take for me to ask you the family’s name and phone numbers – the family he’s living with. Or maybe just their address.” She was thinking that way she could find Henry Chang, too.

“I’ll do the same,” Liz told her. “I’ll ask Maureen. Let’s hope our bosses agree.”

Richard Eisbrouch 2022
  • Like 14
  • Love 3
  • Fingers Crossed 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It would be a plus if they could actually find someone who was using drugs in school and be able to question that student...

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Seems they're spending more time trying to figure out how to not get sued than anything else. I'm told this is called chasing your own tail.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Yes, so much of this is negotiation -- inching toward the facts or things they think are the facts.  But they are going forward, not in a circle.

It would be so much easier if there hadn't been that scandal and the lawsuits against the district four years earlier.  Because of that, Elena could never go on campus and speak to a student, let alone one who other students or staff members claim is using drugs.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..