Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Kid On The Bike - 9. Chapter 9

Elena went into Theo’s fairly confident she’d be able to talk with Henry Chang. She knew the coffee shop well since she’d been in it probably three or four times a week from soon after she began to work in Waldron, almost ten years earlier. Even when the police station had moved out of quick walking distance, all the officers kept their old habits, getting coffee and sandwiches at Theo’s despite the new station having an improved coffee maker.

“I know ours is better,” Don admitted to her, “but I’d still rather get out of here for a half hour and hike down the block – even in the coldest weather.”

When Elena picked up her mug of decaf and sat at a table waiting for a mid-afternoon sandwich, she expected Henry Chang to be working. Jae had already confirmed that she’d seen him there, soon after school let out. They didn’t know his regular schedule, or even if he had one, but none of the officers had spotted him for several days, so they figured it was time.

As Henry Chang set her sandwich on her table, he made no notice of recognizing Elena. But this time, she had an in. “I didn’t realize you also worked at the pizza place – the Italian restaurant,” she began.

He looked at her directly, though as if trying to remember her face. And his reaction seemed honest – he really didn’t seem to know her. So he simply shrugged. But before he could walk away, she asked, “Why two jobs? Is Theo too cheap to give you enough hours?” Then she laughed, loud enough for Theo – working at the nearby counter – to turn her way. Elena smiled and waved, then continued on to Henry Chang. “Don’t worry. I don’t think he actually heard me. Even if he did, we all joke about it all the time – have for years. It’s one of the reasons the people who work here – like you – keep changing.”

Elena thought Henry Chang already realized that, since no much over twenty worked in the coffee shop. It was just Theo and a bunch of high school kids.

“If I could get away with it,” Theo had joked back, “I’d hire all girls, too. They work better and sell more coffee – even to other women. But there are laws.”

Evidently, Elena decided, the low pay didn’t bother Henry Chang. Or maybe he wasn’t experienced enough to bargain. Or possibly – as had been suggested – he was using the restaurant as a way to make contacts.

In any case, after Elena asked her friendly, almost chirpy, questions and smiled expectantly, Henry Chang simply walked away. “Is it simply that I’m a woman?” she asked to his back. “Or because I’m a cop?”

If she expected either of those questions would stop him, she was wrong, because he simply continued into the kitchen. “Is there a problem?” Theo asked, suddenly standing by her table.

“No,” Elena replied, smiling once more. The last thing she needed was to involve Theo. “I just mentioned that I’d seen him working in the pizza shop a few days ago. But he didn’t want to talk.”

Theo laughed at that, sitting in a chair besides her. “That’s Henry. “If he says five words in the four hours he works, I’m amazed.”

“Why? Is he shy?” Elena figured that was a harmless enough question. She wasn’t planning to tell Theo why she wanted to talk.

Theo shrugged. “None of us’ve figured it out. The other kids say he’s not that way in classes. He speaks easily and is never alone at lunch.”

Elena wanted to know more but knew Theo would go on.

“And he gets by here without talking,” Theo continued. “It’s not like it’s a hard job. And he listens well – in fact, he always seems to be listening – taking everything in.”

Like a good drug dealer, Elena thought.

Theo stood because another customer needed him. “He also never asks for more money, like the juniors or seniors do,” he said laughing. “Right before they quit.”

Elena grinned at that, glad to know she wasn’t personally putting Henry Chang off. And when he reappeared, he didn’t seem to be avoiding her table. Actually, after he’d cleared the one nearest her, he pointed to her mug, as if asking if she wanted a refill.

“No. Thanks,” she said, trying to look into his eyes. He quickly turned away. “I’ve got to get back to to the station,” she explained, and once she got there, she went directly to Owen.

“I think we need to do something more formal,” she began. “About Henry Chang.”

“Why?”

“Because I’m getting nowhere.”

“How formal?” Owen seemed tentative.

“Maybe ask him here to talk.”

“Really?” He seemed surprised.

After Elena explained, Owen considered. Then he reminded her: “Remember how unbalanced the high school is. And what the simplest investigation set off the last time. And without us being involved – in any way.”

“I realize that,” she assured him. “But if there are drugs being sold, that already involves us. And if they’re coming from this boy, eventually, we’ll need to talk with him.” She hesitated. “Plus, the district wants us to.”

“But not at the station,” Owen insisted. “And not at school – we can’t let anyone more find out. Still, if he won’t talk casually at one of his jobs, I guess it’s a low enough risk to have you stop by where he lives again and try to talk with him there.”

“And if he refuses?”

“Then you can ask if he’d be more comfortable somewhere else – but let him make the choice. Though also let him quietly understand that if it becomes important, and he still doesn’t want to help us, we’ll simply get permission from his parents and bring him here.”

“You’re giving him every possible out,” Elena almost joked, and Owen grinned.

“Well, if you can think of any more, just tack ‘em on.” They both laughed, then Elena considered.

“Should I go alone or with Don? After all, the boy’s only fifteen.”

“Try alone first – since you’ve already made contact.”

“Tried to.”

“At least, we know he’s not staying away from you because of your job. Thanks to Theo.”

Elena acknowledged that.

“And Don’s just a call away if you need him. We all are.”

“You don’t think Henry Chang’s dangerous?” Elena asked.

Owen smiled. “No. But who ever knows?”

Richard Eisbrouch 2022
  • Like 11
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Trying to rule Henry out as a suspect or to actually get him to confess is going to be a difficult job - let's see what the contact at home is like.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

To be fair, I think in the minds of the members of the school board, there has been a crime:  the selling of drugs at the high school.  And they're very aware of the scandal four years earlier, which happened because they didn't do anything when the discrimination problems began, so they're trying quickly to get ahead of this.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..