Jump to content
    Rosenkrantz
  • Author
  • 910 Words
  • 1,843 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Curative - 2. Chapter 2

“Mason! Open the door!” I yelled, desperately trying not to drop the loads of grocery bags I had valiantly wrapped around my arms with a selfish wish to not make a return trip out into the burning heat. Bailey yipped at my feet, wagging her tail and holding her one little item happily between her teeth. I heard an answering bark inside, and the door swung open. I stumbled into the house and towards the kitchen.

“Close the door, goddamnit!” Logan was being his usual cranky self, obviously.

The door clicked shut as Mason obeyed, and I heard the squeaking of Logan’s wheelchair as he followed me into the kitchen. I hurriedly began stuffing the groceries into the cupboards.

“Here, gimme the fridge stuff.” He grabbed a bag out of my hand and snorted at the contents. Pudding and popsicles. “You’re gonna get fat, boy.”

I blushed and started moving faster, throwing everything into random lower drawers.

“Hey, calm down. Here’s the money for the groceries.” He slapped a wad of bills down on the counter and started to roll out of the room.

“I-I can’t t-take that…” I said it as quietly as I could, but he still jerked to a stop and rolled back towards me.

“Why the hell not?” He crossed his arms and glared at me.

“M-most of it was just my prescriptions anyways…” I fidgeted with the last item, which unfortunately belonged in the cupboard directly behind him.

“Listen kid, if you’re trying to be all high and mighty ‘cause I’m a fucking cripple, then you can get the hell out. It’s only been two weeks, I don’t mind kicking you out on your ass.”

“N-no! I swear, here l-look at the bill, it’s all p-pretty much mine.” I yanked the receipt out of my pocket and shoved it at him, my hand shaking. He grabbed it and looked it over, whistling when he saw the total.

Oh no… How stupid could I get?

“Shit kid, what d’ya need all these pills for?” He glanced up at me, then back down at the bill, murmuring.

I made a grab for the slip of paper, but he whipped it away and tucked it in his pocket.

“G-give it b-back!”

“Not till you tell me what all those are for. I’ll look it up if you don’t. If you’re crazy or somethin’ you shoulda told me before I let you move in here.”

“I’m not crazy!” I yelled and slammed the box of pop-tarts down on the counter. I turned on my heel and booked it for the stairs, nearly falling over my feet on the stairs trying to get to my room. I slammed through my bedroom to the bathroom and the medicine cabinet. Scrambling through all of the bottles and little boxes, I finally found the tube I was looking for. My hands shook violently as I tried to get the top off, and I barely managed to get two pills out without dropping the container. I dry swallowed and sunk back against the bathroom door, trying to calm down.

Eventually the meds took effect and when I finally stopped shaking enough to make it safely to my bed; I crawled into it and fell promptly asleep.

I awoke a few hours later to the sound of scratching at the door. Oh, Bailey. I wrapped a blanket around my shoulders and shuffled over to open it.

“I hear you! Get up here, boy!”

Holy shit, did he have superhuman ears?

“I said get up here!” He bellowed out again.

I shrugged down at Bailey, who yipped happily and bounded up the stairs.

Traitor.

I made my way up as slowly as possible. Hand on the railing, one step at a time. I guess I took long enough that Logan got frustrated, because he wheeled over to wait for me at the top of the stairs, frowning disapprovingly.

When I finally made it to the top, he glared at me for a second longer before yanking me down onto his lap and taking off for the living room.

“Hey! W-what!”

“Shut up, kid. Took too long.”

As soon as we hit the living room rug, he shoved me off his lap and started talking.

“You piss me off. First you come in here, ask to live in my house with your goddamn female dog, then you stick down in your room all the goddamn time, and then when you finally manage to speak to me without chokin’ up your words, you run outta here like a bat outta hell.” He huffed and set his jaw, daring me to talk back.

I paled and scrambled to get up on the couch. “I-I’m sorry. Di-did you look up my p-prescriptions?”

He huffed again, scowling, then abruptly looked away.

“No. And I ain’t gonna.”

Phew. A huge wave of relief blew through me and I sagged into the couch.

“But if you start doin’ any crazy stuff, I won’t hesitate to pull that fuckin’ receipt out and look you up, got it?” He growled.

I nodded enthusiastically and tried to smile at him.

“Thank you.”

He scowled again and grabbed the remote. I made to get up, but his hand whipped out and shoved me back down.

“Siddown. We’re gonna watch football. The Texans are on tonight.”

I couldn’t help groaning and throwing my head back against the pillows. I hated football.

The bastard snickered.

Copyright © 2013 Rosenkrantz; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I am loving this, the interactions between the two are amazing, i cannot wait to see what happens next, and what those perscriptions are for.

Link to comment
On 02/28/2013 02:19 PM, layla said:
I am loving this, the interactions between the two are amazing, i cannot wait to see what happens next, and what those perscriptions are for.
Thanks! These guys just seem to flow from my fingers, it's almost hard to stop writing.
Link to comment

I am eally curious about the precsriptions. The totally opposite personalities of these two are making a great story. Can't wait for next chapter.

Link to comment
On 03/09/2013 09:09 AM, Stephen said:
Logan's a Houston fan? Are we in Texas?
He's from that area, but in my brain, they're in Colorado, haha.
Link to comment

Logan seems like he'll be a lot of fun. Even if he is a bit grumpy at least he seems honest.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..