Jump to content
    Rosenkrantz
  • Author
  • 1,312 Words
  • 1,959 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Curative - 1. Chapter 1

The house I pulled up to looked nice. Like the pictures, at least, which was a good start. Half the other places I’d looked at barely habitable garbage dumps with no resemblance to the pictures I'd seen.
 
Bailey jumped into my lap, smushing the paper I was holding and slobbering all over my face.
 
“Bailey stop it!” I grabbed her nose and held it away, frowning as hard as I could into her big brown eyes. She didn't get it.
 
She wriggled and yipped until she was free and flopped over, begging for a tummy rub. I acquiesced and absently stroked her soft fur as I read through the ad again. I’d talked to the guy renting out the room a few times, but he seemed pretty stiff. Still, even if he was a grouchy old codger, the rent was cheap, and I was running out of time to find a place.
 
I hefted Bailey back over onto her seat and told her to stay, which she course obeyed by bounding into my warm spot as soon as I got out. I shook my head and turned towards the house.
 
I walked up the ramp and knocked on the wide door. A loud bark sounded and the door swung open, but nobody was there. I peeked inside, shrugging at the big German Shepherd who was smiling up at me. He padded a few feet towards the kitchen then stopped and looked back at me.
 
“Just follow him! I’m in the kitchen!” The deep baritone startled me, but I obeyed and followed the dog around the corner.
 
In front of me, washing his hands at the sink, was possibly the hottest man I’d ever laid eyes on. He was utterly masculine. Sharp, shadowed jaw line, aquiline nose, a rakish slash of a mouth, and piercing dark blue eyes that were currently staring with great annoyance into mine.
 
“If you keep staring, this isn't going to work.”
 
I could feel my cheeks heating up a thousand degrees. “Sor-sorry.” I blushed again and jerked my head down to stare at my feet instead.
 
I heard squeaking, then, “Whatever, kid. It happens all the time, but if you’re gonna live here, you’re gonna have to get used to it.”
 
What an arrogant prick! I jerked back up to tell him just what I thought about him, but my mind went blank.
 
Wheelchair. That’s what he was talking about. He was in a wheelchair. Oh.
 
“Shut your mouth, kid. Jeez. Come on.” He wheeled around me and into the living room. The dog followed him, lying obediently at his feet when he stopped.
 
“So-so-sorry!”
 
“Just come on! Sit down already.”
 
I nervously shuffled over to the couch and sat down. Silence permeated the air. I stared down at my shaking fingers.
 
Finally, he sighed. “Okay, guess we should get started. This place has a downstairs, that I've obviously never seen, but if you want to check it out, the stairs are just on the other side of the kitchen. The whole space would be yours, though you’d also have to do all the furnishing and such by yourself. You said you have a dog?”
 
I glanced up and nodded hesitantly.
 
“What's his name?”
 
“Ah, her name is B-Bailey. She’s a C-Cocker Spaniel.”
 
He grinned and leaned over to pet the German Shepherd. “This here’s Mason, he’s my official service dog, and running around here somewhere is Oscar, my Border Collie. He’s trained too, but he’s a lazy fuck. I’ve got two cats as well, Butch and Baxter. You wanna run down and check the space out? If you like it, we’ll talk about introducing them.”
 
I nodded and shot up, nearly running to the kitchen. I found the stairs easily and journeyed downwards. It was completely dark since it was never used, but right then, I didn't care.
 
I sunk to the floor at the bottom of the steps. I glared at my hands, willing them to stop shaking. I hadn't had an episode in almost a year; this was the last thing I needed. My medication was still at home, sitting useless on my bathroom counter. He probably already thought I was a freak.
 
I took a few deep breaths and eventually managed to stand without wobbling.
 
I flipped up the light switch and looked around. The space was pretty nice, a decently sized bedroom and a den area that I could use for my TV. There were no windows, but as long as I had light, I could deal.
 
I slowly made my way back upstairs and into the kitchen, where he was opening up the oven and pulling out a sheet of oatmeal cookies.
 
I couldn't help giggling a little, the contrast between his personality and the bright purple oven mitts he was sporting was hilarious.
 
He looked up at the noise and smirked, “So, did you like it?”
 
“Uhm, y-yeah. Plenty of space. So uh, B-Bailey’s in my car. Should I go get her?”
 
He finished scraping the cookies onto a plate and held it out towards me.
 
“Want one?” When I shook my head, he shrugged and grabbed one for himself. “Yeah, in a second. First we should talk over some of the more technical stuff. Make yourself comfortable.”
 
I settled down in one of the dining chairs and waited patiently for him to stop chomping down on his cookie.
 
“So, rent would be three-fifty a month, that still okay?” I nodded and he continued. “No friends over unless you discuss it with me, including girlfriends or whatever. Clean up after yourself, I don’t wanna hafta be moving stuff out of the way when I’m rolling through here. If you get groceries and don’t mind sharing, remember to put as much as possible in the lower drawers. It’ll also be your job to keep the yard clean. I usually pay the kid who drops off my groceries to do it, but since you’ll be here and a third of it’ll be your responsibility anyways, you might as well. Okay?” He looked at me as if he dared me to challenge anything he’d said. When I just nodded again, his shoulders seemed to relax the tiniest bit.
 
“Ah, Mr. Rollins?” He raised an eyebrow at me and pierced me again with those eyes.
 
“Ah-ah I should probably tell you something first.”
 
My breath froze in my throat.
 
He huffed impatiently and scowled at me. “Well, spit it out, would you?”
 
“I-I-I… I’m… I’m-”
 
“Jeez kid, how old are you?”
 
Startled out of my scared haze, I told him, “Twenty-six.”
 
Now he looked surprised, “No kiddin'? You don’t look hardly old enough to drink. Go on, what were you gonna tell me before? And don’t call me Mr. Rollins again. I’m hardly any older than you. It’s Logan.”
 
I pulled in a shuddering breath and blew it all out in one fast rush.
 
“I’m gay.”
 
I stared down at my fingers again, which were clenched together tightly to try and quell their shaking. My mind ran through all the scenarios I was sure were going to happen. He’d throw me out, set his dogs me, run me over with his wheelchair in retribution for defiling his house. Instead I got a soft snicker.
 
“Why would I judge you, kid? I get discriminated against enough, I wouldn't put that pain on anyone else. Besides,” His eyes twinkled and his smirk pumped up to full wattage. “I’m gay too.” He guffawed and rolled away towards the living room.
 
I sat, rolling his words over in my head.
 
“Wait, what?”
 
“Go get your dog!”

 

 
Copyright © 2013 Rosenkrantz; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

Very interesting beginning. I love how you introduced the characters and their personalities/appearances in this first chapter. I can't help but wonder what type of 'episode' that Ryan needs meds for, and why he's so tense. I'm a sucker for wounded protagonists so this story is right up my alley. I was actually hoping I'd find it posted elsewhere when I checked so I could read ahead, even though I've mountains of editing to do today-I was totally willing to slack off and read this i nstead. LOL

Link to comment
On 02/20/2013 04:06 AM, Cia said:
Very interesting beginning. I love how you introduced the characters and their personalities/appearances in this first chapter. I can't help but wonder what type of 'episode' that Ryan needs meds for, and why he's so tense. I'm a sucker for wounded protagonists so this story is right up my alley. I was actually hoping I'd find it posted elsewhere when I checked so I could read ahead, even though I've mountains of editing to do today-I was totally willing to slack off and read this i nstead. LOL
Thanks so much. I post both stories on my blog, but everything usually goes up at the same time, sorry! I'm glad you like it so far though(:
Link to comment
On 02/20/2013 05:06 AM, Stephen said:
I like this start. I've got lots of questions, but it's a good start.
Thank you! Hopefully you'll get all your answers along the way.
Link to comment

I love this. Your characters were so introduced in a very good way, and all of the animals are right up my alley. Looks like an interesting ride, and I will definitely be following your story. So hurry up already!

Link to comment
On 02/20/2013 05:47 AM, joann414 said:
I love this. Your characters were so introduced in a very good way, and all of the animals are right up my alley. Looks like an interesting ride, and I will definitely be following your story. So hurry up already!
Thanks! I'll do my best(:
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..