Jump to content
    ShadowDancer
  • Author
  • 5,134 Words
  • 1,555 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Double C: Cody and Cal - 2. Chapter 2

“Double C”

Cal

 

 

“Why?” I couldn’t understand why this always happens to me, when all I do is try and help people. Maybe one day I can get my life back and live it like I want to. I came out to my parents in my senior year and they seemed to be ok with it. My mother was the one always on my side whenever I needed her, my father he just ignored me as time went by.

My mom passed away from cancer a week before my senior graduation. That I thought was the hardest day of my life but, it turned out I was wrong. The day after my mom passed away my dad told me the day I turn 18 he wanted me out of his house and to never return. We had not even buried my Mom when he said that to me.

I packed what I could of the things I didn’t want to leave behind. I found some of the pictures of me and my mom together, I took them right-a-way out of the house cuz I knew my father would not let me have them if I asked. I put everything in a storage unit so when my final day in the house came I could just leave and never look back.

My mom left me a good chunk of money when she passed away, so I knew I would be ok for a while, I decided on not going to college but to just find a job instead and not worry about this family that disowned me when my mom died. I lost my grandparents when my dad told them I was gay, they believe in the bible and that I was going to hell.

The day my Grandpa Lou confronted me he told me “You are not my grandson, my grandson would not lay with another man. You are not to call me or come see me, you are dead in my eyes same as your mother.”

When he told me that I was dead to him I was flabbergasted, we used to do so much together I could always go to him if I had questions or problems. When he disowned me that day, I walked away from him just stone cold shocked.

“Hello, my name is Calvin Henderson nickname “Cal” and I am going to live my life the way I want to, not how someone else wants me to.”

“Good morning Ted, what’s on the chart for me today?” Cal asked Ted that was sitting behind the office desk.

“I don’t have the chart Cal, go see if you can find Nora she came and got it earlier from me.” Ted looked up from the desk and smiled at Cal.

“Ok, do you know where she could be at or do I just go looking for her?” Cal asked

“She is probably with one of the horses in the barn check there or the round pen.” said Ted

“Okay thanks.” Cal said walking out the door of the office. He walked over to the barn and walked down the aisle looking in each stall then at the very last one he found Nora brushing down her horse.

“Hey Nora, Ted said you have the chart. Can I see it to see what I have to do today please?” Cal asked Nora looking in the stall door.

“No sorry you can’t Cal, Hank fired you this morning he doesn’t want faggot’s working on his ranch so you are no longer working here. So why don’t you pack your stuff and leave queer. I can’t stand being around you now that I know you are a cock sucker. Oh, I made sure to tell everybody you were a faggot and liked it up the ass.” Nora snarled at Cal.

“Fuck you bitch, you have been after me since the day I started working here. You’re just mad because I wouldn’t stick my dick into that loose cunt of yours. You walk around here thinking your shit don’t stink, well guess what bitch that white spot on chicken shit is chicken shit too. So fuck off whore.” Cal told Nora with an evil look, then walked off laughing heading out of the barn. He walked over to the bunk house and got his stuff packed and loaded in his truck, then headed back over to the office looking for Hank.

When Cal walked in the office he saw Hank standing there, “I need my pay then I am leaving since you believe that bitch and her lies.” Cal said to Hank madder than crap.

“You know Cal if you had told me that you were gay when you came in here for a job, it would have saved you and me all this trouble. I don’t hire faggots to work on my ranch. So here is your check and get the fuck off my property.” Hank said to Cal

“Hank that is my private life and you don’t have the right to know what is in it. You have screwed with the wrong person, my lawyer will be in touch with you on this. Oh by the way the other men working here, they will back me up on my story on why you fired me and you can blame Nora for that. So good luck keeping this ranch running.”

“I don’t have any faggots working here since I just got rid of you.” Hank snared at Cal.

Cal laughed “Never said you did.” at Hank walking out the door. What Hank didn’t know was that Ted was sitting there with his mobile phone videotaping everything that was said in the room. “I will be right back Hank.” Ted said getting up from the desk going out the door. Ted caught up with Cal as he was getting in his truck, “Hey Cal take this number and call this man, and he will give you a job after I call him to let him know what just happened here. My number is there too call me and I will help you any way I can.” Ted said to Cal with a smile.

“Thanks Ted, I will call him later today. I have to cash this check before Hank does something stupid, then I’m going to go to the lawyer I used when my mom passed away to see if he can help me. I’m not letting Hank get away with what he just did, will you let the other men know what happened for me please.” Cal pleaded with Ted.

“I will let the men know when Hank leaves but I have to watch out for Nora to, but I will do that for you. You keep in touch with me.” Ted said.

“I will and thanks for everything.” Cal said starting his truck. He went to the bank and cashed the check Hank gave him, then went over to the lawyer’s office to see if Bruce had time to see him. When he got to office building he found that Bruce was available to see him but it would be half hour. He told the secretary that would be fine he would wait.

Cal asked the secretary if there was a phone he could use. She showed him to a private room with a phone. Cal sat down and got the paper out of his pocket that Ted gave him and looked at the name and number on it. Big Sky Ranch, Livingston, Montana. 406-555-1999. Cal dialed the number on the paper.

“Hello Big Sky Ranch.” Martha said into the phone.

“Hi my name is Cal Henderson, Ted gave me this number to call about a job for a ranch hand.” Cal said nervously.

“Hold on Cal let me have you talk to my husband Ed, since he hire’s the men around here.” Martha said.

“Ok thank you”

Martha handed the phone over to Ed “Hello, how can I help you?” Ed said

“Ted from Lazy H Ranch gave me your number to call about a job as a ranch hand.” Cal said nervously

“Ya I just got off the phone with Ted and he gave a good word on you and your skills with ranch work, I do need one more guy for the ranch. I just had one quit for family reasons so if you want to come on out here, I can put you to work. You will have a bed in the bunk house so your lodging is taken care of. We will talk more when you get here about your duties and all.” Ed said sounding happy.

“Ok I can be there tomorrow if that’s ok with you. Thank you so much for taking this chance on me.”

“No problem I will see you tomorrow then, call back if you have any problems finding the ranch.” Ed said

“Will do and thanks again, Bye!”

“Bye!” Ed said and hung up the phone. “Well Martha we have a full house again.” Ed said looking at Martha.

Cal couldn’t believe his luck on finding a job that fast, he is going to call Ted to thank him since he still had some time before Bruce would be available. Cal dialed Ted’s number and Ted answered it “Hello.” Ted said into the phone not recognizing the number.

“Hey Ted its Cal, just calling to say thanks, I just got the job with Big Sky and I start tomorrow.”

“You’re welcome Cal, I knew Ed would be able to help you.” Ted said

“I’m at the lawyer’s office now waiting to see him so I will let you go.” Cal said

“Cal give this lawyer of yours my number if he is going to help you, I have something he might want.” Ted whispered into the phone.

“Ok Ted but can you tell me what you have so that I could tell Bruce when he ask me.” Cal said sounding scared.

“Cal I videotaped what Hank said to you on my phone, so I know you have a winnable case against him, but you have to let him know my name can’t be mentioned because I have to have this job.” Ted told Cal

“Your name will not come up in this Ted if it can be helped, I will let Bruce know about the video.”

Cal heard a knock on the door then it opened, the secretary looked in and told him that Bruce would see him now.

“Ted, Bruce is ready for me so I will talk to you later, thanks for what you did.” Cal said.

“Ok talk later Bye.” Ted said and hung up his phone.

Cal hung up the phone and followed the secretary out of the room. She took Cal over to Bruce’s office door which was standing open.

“Hi Calvin, when I was told you were here I was thinking your dad was starting his crap with you again.” Bruce said as he was shaking Cal’s hand.

“No it’s not my dad starting crap with me again, I have not seen or heard from him in months so I think he has finally giving up trying to get to the money my mom left me. I have another problem I’m hoping you can help me with, I was just fired from the Lazy H ranch because the owner found out that I’m gay.” Cal told the lawyer.

“Well he can’t do that according to the law, tell me what was said and who said what.” Bruce said smiling at Cal.

Cal proceeded to tell Bruce what was said in the office and what Nora said to him then Cal told Bruce about Ted having the video of everything Hank had said to him in the office.

“Cal do you have a number for me to contact Ted at? I would like to see that video.”

“Yep sure do, he gave it to me so I could give it to you. He just doesn’t want his name mention if any way possible because he needs his job at the ranch.”

“Good let me have it please. I’ll try to keep his name out of everything but if we go to court, he might have to be a witness to taping the video.”

Cal gave Bruce the number with a smile on his face. Bruce took the number down and then dialed it, “Yes is this Ted?....Ted my name is Bruce Williams I’m Calvin Henderson’s lawyer, he is sitting here with me right now….Yes he told me about a video you have in your possession of the incident this morning with his ex-boss….yes if you could send me a copy of video that would be great….yes let me give my cell number so you can send it to me that way….just don’t delete it off your phone….ok number is 406-555-1209….good I will text you back when I get it so you know it was received….thank you for all your help….yes I will be in touch with you if I need anything more from you…thank you, bye.

“Ok you heard he is going to text me what he has, so let’s wait until I get it and see what I’ve got to work with before I say anything.”

“What can we do about this? I don’t want that job back.”

“We can go after the ranch for unethical firing or unlawful discrimination there could be other things I can get him on I’m sure, let’s see what the video shows us first.”

As Cal and Bruce were talking, Bruce’s phone went off to let him know of an incoming message. “Here it is now.” Bruce loaded it and told Cal to come stand next to him.

Cal got up and went and stood next to Bruce and watched the video with him. “This is good we have your ex-boss admitting why you are were fired and then with him calling you those names that is icing on the cake. Ok let me get on this, I have to have this video taken off my phone and put on a CD. I will file the papers tomorrow and then have him served. Cal I need you to go in hiding for a while if you can. Hank is trouble, you don’t want to play around with this man Cal. You can see the hate in his eyes on how he feels about gay men so I need you to lay low for a while for your safety.” Bruce looked at Cal with concern on his face.

“I just got another job at Big Sky Ranch and I start tomorrow, Bruce I need this job.” Cal said to Bruce with his eyes going big.

“You are going to be working for Ed Collins at Big Sky?” Bruce said surprised

“Ya, I start tomorrow.”

“Hold on when did you talk to Ed about this job?”

“I just talked to him about 15 minutes ago.”

“Ok that’s a good place to be at, Ed will keep an eye on you for me.” Bruce said smiling at Cal

“I’m going to call him if that is ok with you? I want him to know that I want you out there today instead of tomorrow.”

Cal said “That is fine if you think he won’t have a problem with me still working for him, after he finds out what I’m going to do to Hank.”

Bruce picked up his phone and dialed a number, “Hi Martha, this is Bruce would Ed be there….yes…ok…Hi Ed….doing fine Ed….good…I have Calvin Henderson here with me….ya I just heard that you hired him to work on your ranch….ya he is a great guy….have known him for about 3 years now….good I’m happy about that…yes I have everything that happened on video, I will be filing the papers tomorrow on this….yes Hank messed up one to many times now…the reason I’m calling I would like you to keep an extra eye on Cal for me if you can…ya I know how Hanks plays…good…I will send him your way right now….that was his home…ok sending him your way….I will keep you updated….ok thanks bye.”

“Ok Cal I want you to head out to Big Sky, Ed will be waiting for you and get you all set up. You will be safe out there with him.” Bruce said like he was concerned about Cal.

“Ok Bruce, I’m glad I still have the job. How do you know Ed if I can ask?”

“I do all his legal work for the ranch.”

“We can get Hank for doing this right?” Cal asked

“Oh ya we can get him, if I do this right he will have to sell the ranch just to pay you off with what I’m going to nail him with.” Bruce laughed at Cal

“Then I will head out there now, Bruce keep me in the loop on this please. I really don’t want too many people knowing about this.”

“Will do, please watch your back Cal. Don’t take any chances.” Bruce said walking Cal to the door. “Be careful, call me if you need anything and I will call you when I find anything with the courts.”

“Thanks Bruce for helping me on this, I will talk to you later.” Cal walked out of the office building. When he got to his truck he knew he needed to make one more stop before going out to Big Sky.

Cal stopped his truck by the tree with the bench that he had installed just for him. He got out of the truck and walked over to the bench and sat down looking at the head stone with his mom’s name on it. “Mom I got another job but it is going to be further away so I won’t be able to come see you as much. I will try and come here when I get some free time from the work. I will be working out at that big ranch that we always admired and talked about when we drove by it. You would always tell me that one day you could see me having my dreams come true with having a ranch just like that. Mom you probably already know this with you up there looking down on me but, Dad has not contacted me for a while now but I was in town the other day and I saw Grandpa walking out of a store. He didn’t see me cuz I was already in my truck, I just sat there and watched him. I wanted to go to him so bad but I know he doesn’t want to see me anymore. I sure wish you were here so you could be my shoulder to cry on when I have my down days. I sure could have used that shoulder that day mom. Well I had better get going mom, I will be back as soon as I can. I love you mom and I miss you so much. You keep grandma in line up there, I just know you two are having fun being together again. Tell her I love her and miss her too. Bye mom.” Cal walked back to his truck with tears running down his face. He knows he will be back but leaving his mom was always hard. She had always been his rock.

Once he got control of his emotions, Cal started the truck and drove out to Big Sky Ranch. Pulling onto the gravel drive leading to the ranch he got butterflies in his stomach. All he could think about is what Hank might do when Bruce had him served those papers. Would he be safe here or would trouble follow him.

Cal parked next to a big king cab truck with the ranch logo on its driver’s door, he got out of the truck looking at the lay out of the ranch. He saw a few ranch hands working in the round pen with a beautiful horse. Cal stopped at the tailgate of his truck and watched the man in the round pen liking what he was seeing. Cal knew Ed was waiting on him so he took his eyes off the man and walked up to the front door of the house and knocked. The door opened to a big guy standing there, “Hi you must be Calvin come on in.” Ed said when he saw Cal standing there.

“Yes Sir, but friends call me Cal if that is ok with you.” Cal held his hand out to shake he believes to be Ed’s hand.

“Ok Cal it is then. My name is Ed and I own this ranch, glad you made it out here just fine.” Ed said closing the door after Cal walked in.

Ed walked Cal to his office so they could discuss Cal’s duties and what was happening with Bruce. “Sit down Cal so I can let you know what you will be doing here and get the paperwork out of the way.”

Cal set down in the chair in front of the desk, “Sir I know that you know what happened at Lazy H ranch. What I don’t know is your thoughts on it and if you have a problem knowing I’m gay. I’m hoping you don’t but I don’t want the same thing to happen again.”

“Cal you will not find anybody on this ranch having a problem with you being gay or anything else. The men that work here get along with everybody here. If you tell them your personal business that’s up to you. There is only one that has been trouble but he is being set straight or he is off this ranch. Just so you know his name is Mike, just don’t listen to him if tells you to do something. I’m the only one to give orders here, Hunter is the top hand here and you will be following him around until you get used to the layout here. I will get one of the hands to show you to the bunkhouse, you will eat in the kitchen house with the rest of the men. Tom is the cook and make sure you ask for something and not just take it or you will show up on Tom’s shit list, and yes he does have one.” Ed said laughing.

“Ok I can handle that, but what do I do if this Mike person starts something with me?

“Just find me or Hunter and we will take care of it for you. I am going to get Cody in here to help you get settled. You and Cody are both going to be Hunter’s shadow for a few days, he just started this morning so you both can learn together. Let’s get the paperwork done then I will get Cody and Hunter in here.

After Ed got Cal through the paperwork he called Hunter, “Hey Hunter, do you have Cody with you?”

“Ya he is right here with me in the front pasture giving his horse some exercise.”

“Can you and Cody come to the office please?”

“Sure let us put his horse away and then we will be right in.”

“Ok see ya in a bit.”

Ed hung up his phone, “They will be here shortly. Cal when you get settled in come back and see me. We need to talk about how to keep you safe here until something is done with Hank. Unless you don’t have a problem with me saying something to Hunter and Cody about what happened at Lazy H. The reason I’m saying this is I can’t be with you 24/7 so I was thinking I could get them two to help watch out for you too. This is totally up to you if you want me to do this but I think with them knowing what is going on it will help me a lot on making sure you are safe here.”

“Can I trust them on keeping this matter and all the details quiet? Since I guess you know Hunter but not Cody since he just started here.” Cal asked with a frightened look.

“We can talk to Cody and let him know the kind of danger you could be in and see what he says but I know Hunter would never let anything happen to you on this ranch.” Ed said to Cal

“If you think we can trust them then I’m fine letting them know. That will probably stop me not having to look over my shoulder all the time and pay attention to my job. What do you think Hank will try if he does at all?” Cal asked

“I don’t really know Cal, but I know Hank is a sneaky bastard and has a lot of people hating him with some of the things he has got away with, so let’s just watch you real close and not let anything happen. Ok?” Ed said about the same time there was a knock on the door.

“Come in.” Hunter and Cody came in the door “Hunter, Cody, have a seat please. This guy here is Cal and he is starting to work here today. The reason I called you in is, I’m going to have these two be your shadow Hunter. I want you to show them the ranch and the cattle, basically the in’s and out’s around the ranch.” Ed said looking at Hunter.

“Sure I don’t see a problem with that. Who do you have on night duty tonight Ed?” Hunter asked

“I think it is Buck and Butch’s time tonight, hold on I will find out.”

Ed called Butch on the phone “Hey you on night duty tonight?...ok thanks get some sleep then.” Ed hung up “Ya it’s him and Buck tonight.” He told Hunter.

“Ok then that leaves Mike, Cody, Sam, Cal and I open then. Why don’t I take Cody and Cal with me tomorrow? Show them around the east pasture cuz that way they can see the cattle and we can ride the fence and check for any down wire. Kill two birds with one stone. That leaves Mike and Sam open to check the west pasture and still get back here and get some sleep for their night duty.” Hunter was telling Ed.

“That works just fine with me. So with that taken care of, let me tell you why I want Cal and Cody to shadow you then.” Ed looked at Cal waiting for the ok to say what they had already discussed.

Cal shock his head at Ed for the ok. “Hunter you know the ranch Lazy H right?” Hunter said “Yes” “Well Cal here got fired from there today and I got a call asking me to hire him from Ted. Then I got a call from Bruce asking me to watch Cal’s back and keep Cal safe for him. I was confused for a bit then Bruce explained everything to me and I told him he would be safe here.”

“Ed you are confusing me and by the look on Cody face he is too. So just tell us what is going on so I can keep this young man here as safe as I can for you.” Hunter said to Ed.

“Ed let me say what needs to be said ok?” Cal said looking at Ed.

“Ok it is nice to meet you guys.” Cal said laughing. “My lawyer thinks that Hank is going retaliate against me because Bruce is going to sue him for unlawful termination and because a suit is being filed I can’t tell you the exact reason till the suit is done with. So Bruce wants Ed here to keep me safe until we find out what Hank is going to do when he gets served the papers.” Cal said all this then looked at both of the guys to see what kind of reaction they had on their face. Cal saw a concerned look on Hunter’s face but when he looks at Cody’s face he sees a little smile. Which made Cal worried on what Cody was thinking.

“Cody will you have problem helping me and Hunter keeping a close eye on Cal?” Ed had to ask Cody this cuz he saw the same look that Cal saw on Cody’s face.

“I don’t see a problem with me helping to keep him safe as best as we can here.” Cody said looking at Ed then looking at Cal.

“Hunter do you have a problem with this?” Ed asked.

“No Ed I don’t, I think I can try and keep him safe, the only thing I ask is no night duty for him. I think it might be real hard to keep him safe if he is out there in the dark.” Hunter told Ed.

“Ya I agree with you on that one, so no night duty Cal for now. Cody can you show Cal the bunkhouse and the barn so he can stall his horse please.” Ed asked

“Ed I don’t have a horse, I had to sell my horse when my mom passed away because my father would not pay the boarding fee and I was in school. I didn’t have to have one working for Hank so I just never got another horse yet.” Cal said with a frown on his face.

“That’s ok Hunter show him Sidney he can ride her until he decides if and when he gets his own horse. She is a good cattle horse and she lets anybody ride her just don’t ride with spurs or you will not be in the saddle for long.” Ed started laughing as did Hunter.

“Ya no spurs for her, I found out the hard way literally.” Hunter said laughing.

“Ok you guys get settle in and Hunter take Cal over to meet Sidney then get rested up for tomorrow. Cal and Cody it is good to have you here on the ranch, just remember if you have any problems or questions come find me or Hunter.”

They all got up and shook hands and left the office. Cody was watching Cal which was walking in front of him next to Hunter. That ass on him Cody wished he could take a big hand full of it to see if it was as firm as it looked. Cal looked back at Cody with a smile.

 

 

Note: “Beautiful Horse Sense”

We can see with our eyes

Hear with our ears

Feel with our touch

But understand with our hearts

Copyright © 2013 ShadowDancer; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Poor Cal. He has such a sad story to tell.

 

Hopefully Hank doesn't find out he's at Big Sky. Hey, maybe the person/people messing with the Big Sky Ranch are not just after Ed - maybe they're after Cal too. I just thought about that as I was writing this.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..