Jump to content
    ShadowDancer
  • Author
  • 4,473 Words
  • 1,728 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Double C: Cody and Cal - 3. Chapter 3

“Double C”

Chapter 3

 

 

Hunter showed Cal what stall Sidney was in and what saddle and tach he could use, then took him over to the bunkhouse for him to get settled in. When they walked in Cody was laying down on his bunk reading a book. Cal just stood at the door looking at him lying there. “Hey there lazy, can you show me where to put my things and what bunk is available to use.” Cal laughed at Cody’s expression that he had on his face.

Hunter laughed at both of them and told them, “I think you two can hash this out on your own. Just remember you have to work together so be nice to each other. I would hate to have you both on stall duty. I’ll see you both later at the kitchen house for dinner.” Hunter walked out and left Cal and Cody in the bunkhouse alone.

Cody looked at Cal and set up on his bunk with a smile, “ Lazy, ok smart ass let’s see we can have you put your bag under a bunk and live out of it or we can have you put your things in that cabinet next to the one I’m using. You know I saw some blankets in the tach room, I’m sure we can find some hay bales that would make you a comfy bed to sleep on.” Cody started laughing so he couldn’t finish saying what was in his head.

“What did I get myself into here? Ok lazy show me where I can sleep and put my stuff for real this time.” Cal said showing he was not liking that Cody was joking around with him.

“Sorry you can put your things in the cabinet right there” Cody pointed to the one next to his “and you can have that bunk there” Cody pointed to the bunk right next to his which only had 3 feet between them.

“Thanks.” Cal said. When he got done with everything he went to his bunk to lay down and rest for a bit. He was mentally drained so he just wanted to close his eyes and think about nothing.

Cody laid back down and looked over at Cal laying there with his arm over his eyes. “Hey I really am sorry saying that to you earlier, I was just trying to lighten the mood.”

“It’s ok I have just had a rough day and it’s not over yet.” Cal said lowering his arm looking over at Cody, seeing him staring at him.

“Do I have something on my face?” Cal asked

“No why?” Cody said with a smile.

“You are staring at me, so I thought there was something wrong.”

“No your face is fine. Can I ask you something?” Cody had a concerned look on his face.

“Sure.”

“You can tell me this is none of my business and I will just shut up but, what happened with your last job that we have to keep you from getting hurt. I know I would kick anybody’s ass if they mess with anybody here on the ranch but who is after you and why?” Cody said softly to Cal.

“Cody we just met so give me time to get to know you and feel that I can trust you, then I will tell you everything. Ok?” Cal got up and sat on the side of his bed looking at Cody.

“Ok, just remember I want to be your friend and I’ll watch your back. When you are ready to tell me I’ll be here for you.” Cody said.

“What time is it? I need to set my clock so if I fall asleep I get up in time to eat because I missed breakfast and lunch.” Cal said looking at Cody with a grin.

Cody looked at his watch and said “2:39 pm and Hunter said 6 pm for dinner. Why didn’t you take time to eat? It’s not good to miss meals and you look like you don’t need to lose any weight.”

“I had so much to take care of before I got here and forgot to grab something on the way here. I can wait until dinner, it’s not like I haven’t missed a meal before.” Cal said laying back down and covered his eyes again thinking Cody would get the hint and not talk anymore.

Cody did get the hint and just laid there watching Cal sleep, thinking that this guy was hot looking with that brown hair and hazel eyes that you could get lost in. He would enjoy putting his arms around him making him feel safe and protected. Cody fell asleep too but something woke him up. When he looked around to see what woke him, he saw another guy had come in the door.

“Hello you must Cody or Cal? Hunter caught me outside coming in from the pasture saying that you two were in here probably asleep. Sorry for waking you up. Names Butch and Buck will be here in a sec, don’t need to worry about us we’re just going to lay down our self’s. We’re on night duty tonight.”

“Good to meet you Butch, I’m Cody and the one sleeping over there is Cal. I’m going to go and see if I can find something to snack on, kinda hungry. Have a nice nap, talk later.”

“Ok talk to you later, welcome to the ranch.” Butch said taking his boots off and laying down on his bunk.

Cody walked outside and saw Hunter walking to the round pen leading a horse. “Hey Hunter” Cody waved to him to get his attention.

“Hi Cody, did you get a nap in?” Hunter said when he stopped by Cody.

“Ya I did get a little one, Cal is still asleep when I left. Do you think the cook would let me have a sandwich or something to eat? I missed lunch and my stomach is telling me.” Cody said laughing rubbing his belly.

“Sure let me put Cope in the round pen and I will introduce you to Tom so you can get that stomach to stop talking to you.” Hunter laughed and put Cope in the pen then walked Cody to the kitchen.

Cody walked in the kitchen, looked around and saw a table that would seat 10 people, an old wood stove that is probably used for the winter we have around here. “Hey Tom, how you doing?” Hunter asked the guy at the sink doing something.

“Doing fine, just getting things prepped for dinner so you men don’t starve.” Tom said

“I want you to meet one of the new hands that Ed hired today. This is Cody and he tells me that his stomach is talking to him, so we came in to see if he could have something to hold him over till dinner.” Hunter laughed at Tom then looked at Cody laughing even harder.

“You are sure a laugh a minute aren’t you?” Cody smirked at Hunter. “Hi Tom, it is nice to meet you.” Cody walked up to Tom and shook his hand.

“Well you were the one telling me your belly talks so I was just warning Tom of that fact.” Hunter smirked back at Cody.

“Ok Hunter, Ed needs to keep the help here so be nice to the new ones. Cody you can make a sandwich if you want, the bread is on the counter and the meat and sauce is in the icebox. Help yourself to it.” Tom said giving Hunter a raised eyebrow.

“Well since you and Tom don’t have a since of humor today I will go give Cope a work out in the round pen. Come out when you get done Cody and we can talk more, ok?” Hunter asked while Cody had his head in the icebox.

“Sure thing Hunter.” Cody closed the icebox door and started making him a ham sandwich. He made two of them thinking he will take Cal one along with something to drink, knowing he didn’t eat today. He got the sandwiches wrapped in paper towels and grabbed two bottles of water and asked Tom, “Do you mind if I take these outside and eat them so I’m not in your way?”

“No problem Cody and you wouldn’t be in my way.” Tom said

“Thanks Tom.” Cody went back to the bunkhouse to see if Cal was awake. He walked in and saw that he was still asleep but so was Butch and another guy which had to be Buck. He walked over to his bunk and put the sandwiches down on his bed and water bottles on the floor. He looked over at Cal, he had rolled over laying on his side facing Cody’s bed. Cody squatted down beside Cal’s bunk and shook his shoulder, “Hey sleepy head wake up, I brought you something.” Cody told Cal watching his eyes open.

Cal looked at Cody thinking he would enjoy getting woke up like this looking into those sparkling green eyes. “You did, what may I ask do you have for me?” Cal whispered to Cody.

“I made you a sandwich and have a bottled water for you. You told me you hadn’t ate so I went and found you something along with me to eat.” Cody smiled at Cal.

“Thanks Cody I appreciate that, what time is? How long have I been out?” Cal set up looking at Cody.

“It’s almost 4 so you have been out for about an hour and half. Get up and we can eat these out on the steps so we don’t wake the others up.” Cody grabbed the food and water and went out the door with Cal following him.

“Here you go, hope ham is alright?” Cody gave Cal the sandwich and then put a water down between Cal’s feet. They ate in silence just looking around at their surroundings. “You know, when I got here I thought I was going to be the only new one here. Then Ed told me that you were coming in and we would be shadowing Hunter for the next few days. Do you realize that now you’re the new one, not me?” Cody looked at Cal raising his eyebrow’s smiling.

Cal turned and gave Cody a smile and said, “Between you and Hunter I’m going to have to be on my toes around you both. With your smart mouth and Hunters joking around I don’t know which is worse but let me get my footing around here then you had better watch out.” smirked Cal.

“Ok I have been pre-warned but you have a ways to catch up to me. I’m wayyyy ahead of you as of now, so you have your work cut out for you.” Cody said picking up his water to wash down the sandwich, looking out to watch Hunter work his horse in the pen.

A hot callused finger slid up Cody’s left arm. Cool air and a hot touch made him shiver. Cody looked over at Cal then down at the finger that was on his arm. “I’m hoping we can become friends because I could sure use one about right now. I’m so tired of people using me and walking all over me.” Cal said with watery eyes.

“Cal I want to be a friend you could depend on, I would never intentionally hurt you.” Cody said.

Cal looked at Cody and saw his cocked eyebrows over his pretty green eyes. His lips kicked into a smile, and two small dimples bracketed the corners. God, he was fucking adorable. “I would like that Cody very much.”

“Good then, I have your back and you have mine. Let’s go watch Hunter and stretch our legs, tomorrow is going to be rough for me having to be in the saddle all day.” Cody got up and stretched his back and bent over putting his hands to the ground. Cal watched Cody thinking that ass is fucking nice to watch. Cal got up and followed Cody over to the round pen, watching Cody’s ass the whole way there. Cody turned his head and smiled at Cal knowing he was watching him.

They stood there just chatting about what Hunter was doing with Cope, not paying much attention to anything else around them until Mike walked up to them. Mike put a hand on Cal’s shoulder and Cal jumped and went to swing at Mike but Cody caught his arm looking at Mike. “Mike keep your hands to yourself unless you want to see what the ground looks like close up.” Cody pushed Mike back to look at Cal. “You ok Cal?”

“Ya he just startled me, I didn’t see him walk up to us.”

“What the hell man, all I did was lay my hand on his shoulder. He didn’t need to freak out on me.” Mike looked over at Hunter walking their way. “Don’t cause me trouble again by being a snitch or you are going to regret it.”

“Is that a threat Mike? Cuz you don’t scare me in the least, so back off and keep your hands to yourself. You put your hand on either of us again you will be seeing that ground close up.” Cody started off talking normally to Mike but got louder as he continued talking.

“Mike are those stalls done?” Hunter asked when he got to the rails. He heard Mike threaten Cody and saw that Cal was shaking so he knew something happened to Cal.

“Yes they are done Hunter. I was just here talking to the newbies.” Mike smirked at Cody

“Good go get washed up for dinner then.” Hunter was trying to get Mike to leave so he could make sure Cal was ok and not embarrass him doing it.

“Ok talk to ya’ll later.” Mike walked off laughing.

Hunter jumped the rail and stood next to Cal and Cody seeing that Cody had a hold of Cal’s shoulder and was rubbing his arm talking quietly to him. “Hey Cal are you ok? What did he do to you?”

Cal looked at Hunter with scared eyes, “He just startled me by putting his hand on my shoulder. I’m so jumpy not knowing who I can trust around here. Hank could send anybody in here and I would not know who it was.” Cal looked down at the ground.

“Cal look at me, Ed would never take a man on unless he knows the background of that person, then he would ask around to see what other people had to say about that person. You have to calm down and let me and Cody be there for you and trust us. Ok?” Hunter grabbed Cal’s shoulder and gave it a little shake smiling at him. “I’m not going to let anything happen to you Cal. Just remember to not go anywhere alone, always make sure Cody or I’m with you.”

“Cal please you’ve got to realize I’m here for you. If Mike or any of the men here do anything to you I will make sure they regret it. Me and Hunter are here for you man.” Cody looked into Cal’s eyes to make sure he was listening to him. Cody reach up and gave Cal a hug and patted his back whispering in his ear “I’m here for you nothing is going to happen to you.”

Cody stepped back from Cal looking at him, seeing that he has calmed down “How about we go and look at the horses and give them something for dinner then we can get washed up for our dinner?”

Cal nodded his head at Cody then looked at Hunter “Thanks.”

“You’re welcome, see you at the table you two.” Hunter went back in the pen to finish up with Cope.

Cody and Cal walked over to the barn, Cal went and got a chip of hay for Cody’s horse. “Hey Cody do you have your phone with you?”

“Ya, what’s up?” he asked handing his phone to Cal.

“I need to find out if I need to feed Sidney or if somebody else does.”

Cal found Ed’s number on the phone and dialed it “Hey Ed its Cal....ya I’m fine….I’m in the barn with Cody and I was wondering if I needed to feed Sidney….oh ok thanks….bye.”

“He said that Sam feeds and grains the ranch horses so not to feed Sidney.”

“Good thing that you called to find out, it wouldn’t be good to over feed her and then you ride her all day tomorrow. She could get grumpy and then give you a hard time, just hope she doesn’t dump you on your ass. Oh remember to wear your spurs.” Cody looked at Cal with the biggest shit eating grin on his face.

“Yep I will make sure I do that after I have you get on her back with yours on first, so I can watch you picking your ass off the ground.” Cal saw that he got Cody because he started laughing.

“Ok I see we are going to have watch it since you got some sleep under your belt.” Cody was staring at Cal looking into his eyes and saw that his comments didn’t bother him this time.

They were standing at Sonny’s stall door watching him eat. Cal looked over at Cody and asked him “Cody please don’t take this the wrong way and you don’t have to answer me if you don’t want to.”

Cody raised an eyebrow “Ok ask away I don’t have anything to hide.”

Cal looked scared but he asked anyway “Are you gay? The reason I ask is, the way you talk to me and you touch me so softly I can barely feel it.”

Cody looked at Cal to see his reaction “Yes I’m gay but I don’t go around telling people because it has caused problems so I’m selected on who knows. I hope I haven’t been wrong and you’re the same. Because if you’re not I know we can still be friends if that is what you want.”

Cal put his hand on Cody’s shoulder “Yep same” he looked in the most beautiful green eyes, he lifted his hand from Cody’s shoulder and fisted the hair at the back of his head. Cal dragged him forward. Cody had no preparation for the hard, hot kiss that narrowed his senses like no amount of shaking could. Cody’s head spun dizzily. His surprise was muffled by a pair of silken, heated lips gliding over his. Cal’s mouth had settled perfectly onto Cody’s. Cody steadied himself with a hand to Cal’s chest. His fingers curled into Cal’s shirt.

Cal stepped back looking to see if Cody was going to slap him. Cody laid his hand on Cal’s cheek rubbing his thumb over Cal’s bottom lip “Thank god. You just made my dreams come true babe.” Cody moved his hand to behind Cal’s head to run his fingers in Cal’s hair.

The sound of spurs had the boy’s stepping back from each other but Cody could not release Cal’s eye’s until he heard Mike’s voice breaking the spell Cal had on him. “What is going on here? You two need to get out of here and go eat.”

“Mike you need to realize that we are not going to do anything you say, so get over yourself and get the fuck away from us.” Cody stood in front of Cal talking to Mike feeling Cal grabbing his shirt shaking.

“I don’t know what is going on here but I will find out, then you both will be gone.” Mike pointed his finger at Cody.

“Mike you need to mind your own business and stay the hell out of ours. Friends can do things together with nothing going on. So back off and leave.” Cody was trying to get Mike to walk away before Cal freaks out on him.

“Friends generally don’t bury their hands in friends' hair or stare at each other’s lips. So don’t give me that shit, I will find out what is going on.” Mike said then turned and walked out of the barn.

“Cal calm down he is gone. Let’s go in Sonny’s stall so I can hold you until you do.”

Cody opened the stall door and took a hold of Cal’s hand walking in the stall. “Cal come here” Cody put his arms around Cal’s neck and squeezed. Cal dropped his head on Cody shoulder hugging him back. “I don’t like him Cody, he scares me. The looks that he gives me is weird and I don’t like him around me.”

“I know but you need to show him that you won’t put up with his shit or he is going to keep doing it. I will keep an eye on him for you and I will say something to Hunter too maybe he can have him working on the other side of the property from us. But that can’t happen all the time because he has a right to be here to. If he does anything else to you in a harmful way I will go to Ed about it. Just remember I will be here for you.” Cody looked at Cal to see if he had stopped shaking and gave him a hot kiss that had Cal moaning. “Ok hot stuff lets go eat.”

Cal gave Cody another kiss and told him, “Thanks for being here for me Lazy.” Cal started laughing

“Smart ass, let’s go.”

“Hey Cody let me say something first please”

“Ok” Cody stopped and looked at Cal

“Can we take this slow between us and be discreet about it. I’m not ready for anybody to find out yet.” Cal said pleading to Cody.

“Cal I don’t have a problem with that as long as we can get to know each other and have time together. I have a lot I want you to know about me and I want to know a bunch about you. So let’s just take this one day at a time and see where it goes. Ok?” Cody rubbed Cal’s arm smiling.

“That sound great Cody cuz I want to get to know you too. Let’s go eat cuz I’m starting to drag my ass again.”

They went to the kitchen house and sat down next to each other. Cody looked around the table and saw some face’s he did not recognize. Hunter looked at Cody and Cal and said “Hey guy’s let me introduce everybody. Cody and Cal let me go around the table with who is who. Ok we have Sam here next to me, then Butch, Buck, Mike, and Tom. Guys this Cal and Cody, Ed hired them today.” Hunter smiled at the two men and then looked at Mike. “Mike you are going to stay here around the yard tomorrow, clean stalls and I saw that the round pen needs to be raked. Then if you still have time, check the front pasture for loose wire and wood. Butch and Buck you’re on night duty tonight so when you get back in get some sleep then go out to the east pasture and I will meet you out there since that is where I will be all day. Mike and Sam I need you to check on the sprinklers in the west pasture, Ed doesn’t like yellow grass when we have to move the cattle in a few days. Cody and Cal you are with me tomorrow so get some sleep it will be a long day in the saddle.” Hunter told everybody their duties for the next day then finished eating his dinner.

Cody nudged Cal’s leg with his, Cal looked over at Cody with his forehead scrunched wondering why Cody bumped his leg. Cody was looking at Cal but his eyes went over at Mike without turning his head. Cal looked at Mike and saw that his was staring at him. “Mike I don’t know what your problem is with me but would you stop staring at me please. It’s very annoying and creepy.” Cal continued looking at Mike waiting to see if he would respond.

“Cal I don’t know what you are talking about, you need to stop trying to get me in trouble. Like your friend there did earlier by running to the boss.” Mike smirked.

“Mike you’re an ass-hole and if you keep your shit up, I told you already you will see that dirt up-close. So you leave Cal and me alone and stop causing us trouble.” Cody stood up from the table ready to go after Mike.

“Ok that is enough, Mike keep your mouth shut or Cody will not have to do it I will. I have had to put up with your mouth since you started working here. If you don’t realize it by now you are nothing but a ranch hand and that is all you ever will be. So BACK OFF.” Buck stood up and reached across the table to get to Mike.

Hunter got up and slammed his fist on the table making everybody jump. He looked at each one of the men then stopped when he got to Mike. “You open your mouth one more time I will get Ed to fire you. You leave everybody alone and do your damn job. I have heard you threaten some of these men and if I hear anymore, these men will not have to kick your ass cuz I will kick your scrawny ass right off this ranch. We have had enough to worry about on this ranch without you starting more crap.” Hunter looked at Tom saying “Tom is that bunk still in the extra room here?”

“Ya it is, why?” Tom already knew why Hunter was asking and not liking it.

“Mike get your shit, I’m moving you in here. I can’t trust you around these men until your attitude changes.”

“Like hell I will Hunter, I don’t have the attitude these two are the ones causing the problems here.”

“Mike I have seen with my eyes and heard the crap you said I’m not deaf, so get your stuff moved now.”

“No”

“Hunter please stop, let him stay where he is. If he starts anything I can handle it.” Cody said to Hunter a worried look. “Everything will be ok.”

Hunter looked at Mike and told him “You had better not cuz anymore shit Mike.”

Mike got up from the table and left slamming the door behind him. Cal got up and laid his hand on Cody’s shoulder with a forced smile saying “I will be right back.” Cal followed Mike out the door.

Copyright © 2013 ShadowDancer; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Oh shit, is Cal going to confront Mike? Not a good idea, especially since Mike is so pissed. Cal should wait until Mike cools off a bit.

 

I like how the boys 'took to each other' so quickly. lol ;)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..