Jump to content
    S.L. Lewis
  • Author
  • 1,967 Words
  • 873 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Butterfly's Dream - 2. Chapter 2

Title: A Butterfly’s Dream
Series: A Butterfly’s life
Chapter: 2
Characters: David, Edward, Markus
Word Count: 1,969
AN: Once more, another chapter up and ready to be read. Enjoy

Laying on the floor, his legs hanging over the edge of the chair as his arms laid above his head, he blinked up at the ceiling, trying to absorb what Edward had said. The twins shared a look and cocked their eyebrows upwards as David started to mutter to himself.

“There are no other Lewis’ to the best of my limited knowledge. Only grandma and grandpa hold that name now,” he mused softly, his foot started to tick back and forth with agitation at the thought that his family could have hid something so important from him. “But, if she is family, how is she connected to me? And if she is connected to me, why hasn’t anyone told me about her?”

His foot still twitching in consternation, David shifted slightly before becoming still again. Ignoring the soft squeak of the bed springs, he continued to lie on the floor and stare at the ceiling, trying to get his racing thoughts under control.

Suddenly Edwards face filled his vision, jerking him out of his thoughts. Blinking up at the other teen, David brought his eyes into focus, frowning up at his friend.

“What?” he finally asked, his voice laced with suspicion. Edward smirked in return and held out his hand to David. Staring at it for a moment, the dark haired teen took it, allowing his friend to haul him up and right into his arms. Squeaking in surprised, the smallest of the three quickly wrapped his own arms around Edwards neck, holding onto him as the older male sat next to his light hair brother, his armful sitting on his lap.

“Want to tell us what's going on in that mind of yours?” Markus asked, his tone light and playful. David looked over at him from his perch and frowned once more.

“I'm just wondering why my family has never spoken about this woman before, if she is apart of the family that is,” he said, voice subdued, feeling a mixture of hurt, confusion and anger.

Moving slightly, Edward reached up to play with a bit of David's short, dark hair, hearing the soft sigh and feeling him relax, making him smile at his brother. Markus just softly snickered at the sight of their friend looking much like a content cat in it's favorite spot.

“For now, we can't think about that. I doubt you'll get anything out of your parents tonight anyways,” Markus drawled, leaning back against the foot board, his long legs stretching out before him. Seeing the curious eyes gazing at him, the light haired twin said, “Your mother answered the door and she did not look happy. So I figure your dad is going to be planning on some major sucking up tonight.”

“Oh yeah, he said something about homosexuals and their place in the world and in the eyes of God according to the good Pastor Alex,” David snorted, causing Markus to laugh loudly in amusement, while Edward chuckled quietly.

“Ah, so he's back to being easily manipulated into believing someones word so completely that he forgets about his own thoughts and opinions?” Edward asked softly after he stopped chuckling. David nodded in response, the top of his head brushing against Edwards chin.

“Yeah, he is, again,” he said softly, squirming out of Edward's lap with a slight smile. “You both are welcome to stay the night,” he offered. Hearing the dual thanks, he moved to chair and righted it, sitting down and turning to once more gaze at the two that sat upon his bed.

“Have you made any progress in finding out about how your parents and church would feel about a gay person?” Markus asked suddenly, pulling out a slightly squished package of long, sweet tobacco cigarillos. Seeing how David frowned at him, he got up and moved to the window seat. Opening the window, he lit one of the cigarillos, filling the room with the subtle scent of burning tobacco.

“Yeah, and I've come to the conclusion that the pastor would flip his lid. And since Pastor Alex flips his lid, so will dad. My mom...she's...” he said, trailing off with a thoughtful look in his eyes.

“What about your mother?” Edward prompted, moving to join his brother at the window, a pack of Clover peppermint chocolate flavored cigarettes in hand. David looks at the twins with a bit of confusion, wondering just how Edward had moved from his spot on the bed to the window without drawing his attention. Shaking his head, the teen continued on with what he had been saying.

“My moms a toss up really, but I suppose is that she'll be kinda odd around the person until she gets used to the idea of them being gay. I really don't know though,” he mused, shaking his head once more, his hair shifting to fall slightly into his eyes. The twins shared another look between themselves before Markus snuffed out his half smoked cigarillo in the ash tray that sat on the outside sill.

“I'll go grab our bags,” he says, walking towards the door and dropping a kiss onto David's head. Nodding, the younger teen watched the light haired male walk out the door, closing ti behind him. As soon as the soft snick of the latch catching was heard, he turned towards Edward, a smile playing on his lips.

“You can have the shower first if you want it,” David offered, Edward turning dark eyes to him, gazing through the smoke that lazily rose from the cigarette sitting between his lips. Nodding, he took one last drag from his cigarette before snuffing it out. Getting up from the window sill, he headed towards Davids closet, raiding it for the small supply of towels that he knew were there. As he walked past their small friend, Edward followed his brothers example and dropped a kiss onto Davids head before walking out the door.

Sighing quietly, something that he found himself to be doing often, David turned to his computer and opened a new screen, wanting to post in his private blog.

Looking away only once as he did what he wanted to do to smile at Markus, David started to type quickly.

I've found my answers, or to be precise, some of them. Though one answer does make me worry.

The one about my oh so dear father.

He has once more been manipulated into listening to whatever someone of importance has to say and believing it. Mind you, the person of importance is someone he believes is important. Either way, he has forgotten his own opinions and thoughts on things. I fear that this time, it will pull us apart at the seams and no one will be able to fix us.

This time, the person who he has deemed important is one Pastor Alex, the manipulative bastard. The very words that fell from my fathers lips tonight was so damn close to what that pastor said in church just this last Saturday. On top of that, it upset mother, making me wonder just why the subject of homosexuality and gays make her so upset.

Well, I should rephrase that. She's not really upset as much as a mix of angry and sad. I've only seen that look on her face once a year, but it never matters how much I ask, I can't get the reason why out her or out of father. And I really don't think that I'll be getting it out of her until she's ready to tell me.

I can't help though but wonder if my fathers inability to think for himself and to be easily manipulated will force us to move again. I really dread that happening since I don't want to. It has taken me nearly a year of living here to get me to where I am today. Markus and Edward can now hold me without me twitching or freaking out on them. Hell, they can now just TOUCH me without me twitching away from them.

I feel like...I can trust them with my life, which is a first for me. Even after living here for nearly a year, it's still doubtful that I will ever really make any more friends beyond them.

On top of that, should we move? I have a feeling that I wouldn't be able to find anyone quite like them.

To move on from some rather...depressing thoughts, I apparently have a new mystery that has made the researcher in me perk up and go “Oh, lookie! Research!”

Apparently my life is boring enough that someone, somehow, hacked into my computer and brought up an old article from the 80's about some woman named Catrina Lewis. Though I have no idea why they decided to hack my computer, I can only speculate. They could have just sent it to my e-mail. It's not like I don't have several running around and most of them are public knowledge.

Sorry, rant for a moment.

As I was saying, the article was opened up on my screen after I came back from the newest disaster that was known as dinner. The article itself is well written, if not sketchy on details.

Catrina had been caught with her girlfriend during a picnic after a night out dancing. They were both badly beaten and while Catrina died, her girlfriend slipped into a coma. It was supposedly not a very pretty sight and no one was officially charged. At least...that's what the article said. The darn thing also told me that Catrinas family actually refused to acknowledge her and the fact that she was their child. Unfortunately, it wasn't unheard of during that time.

I haven't exactly gotten around to finding the related articles about this attack yet but I have a feeling that it's not going to be easy to find. Homosexuality in the 80's wasn't exactly top news unless it was about a new protest about how wrong it was and how it went against Gods will and about a new bill passing that would help those that were gay and the fallout following the passing of the bill.

I can still hope that I end up finding more details about her and find out why the article was so important that the person hacked my computer. There are just so many questions that are running around my head. Why me and my computer? Why this article alone? Is it because they think that I would know her just because we share the same last name? And if she IS family, why haven't I ever been told about her? Are my parents ashamed to have a gay family member? Are they ashamed of the way she died?

Pausing, David sighed softly and clicked the post button before standing up. Heading to his closet, he grabbed a pair of night pants and a shirt before going for a shower, the twins drying their hair off on his bed.

Soon, he was settling down between the twins, his head laying on Markus' chest as Edwards' arms rested around his waist. He was safe and comfortable and was soon asleep, Markus softly snoring in one ear.

As the three continued to sleep, the mouse once more moved in the darkness of the room, waking the computer from its hibernation state. As the cursor moved across the screen, Edward snorted slightly, shifting just enough to make the mouse stop all movement.

After a few more moments, the mouse continued to move, making the cursor open up a new screen, a few soft taps of the keys and the blank tab was a new article. The screen continued to glow in front of the empty chair for a few moments before once more, the screen dimmed and the computer slept.

Copyright © 2012 Rose Strailo; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..