Jump to content
    StoryMyke
  • Author
  • 1,586 Words
  • 470 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Legends of Blood: Volume One - 12. Chapter 12 - Without Hope

This chapter mostly involves the death of a relative and how it affects those left behind.

(Ethan)

It only seemed fitting that it rained as my mother's body was slowly being lowered into the ground. My father and grandmother stood on either side of me as I struggled not to cry. My entire world was crumbling around me, and it had all begun with the death of Evan. My heart was never going to heal from this wound. None of it made any sense to me. My mother had seemed to be getting better. Why would she suddenly take her own life?

I glanced over my shoulder to see that Jenna and Justin were standing behind me with Mr. Hunter. I smiled weakly at my friends before I turned my attention back to the silver casket being lowered into the muddy earth. I looked down at the rose in my hand. The red petals had drops of water running down them like the tears falling down my cheeks. I was quickly losing control of my emotions as more and more tears fell from my eyes.

Mom...

I wanted to be mad at her.

I wanted to feel ashamed.

All I could really feel though, was a sense of loss. My mother and my brother had left my side. Who would be next on the never-ending parade of funerals that to constantly be invading my life? The answer was an obvious one...
Tatum...

I glanced around to see that my Uncle Mason had failed to make it to the funeral. That only confirmed my suspicions that Tatum's health was slowly failing. The cancer was slowly eating my cousin away, and there was no cure for him. The last time I saw him, Tatum was confined to a wheelchair and his curly black hair was gone. Uncle Mason had helped Tatum shave his head since my cousin's hair had started to fall out in patches from the chemotherapy. I still loved Tatum with all of my heart, and I proved it that day by kissing him deeply before he went home with his dad. If I would have known that it was going to be the last time I was ever going to see my cousin, I would have done more with him. Now, I was never going to be able to see my cousin again. Uncle Mason had Tatum transferred to a special medical facility sponsored by the government. Supposedly, they were working on some experimental cure for the disease killing my cousin, but I doubted that they would be able to have an answer before Tatum reached his end.

That was the final straw that broke the tentative grip on my emotions. The first tear was followed by a second one, and that one quickly followed by a third. It was hopeless. I would never be able to get over the fact of my family falling apart.

My father and I were amongst the last to leave the cemetery after my dad had said a few words over the grave of my mother. Like me, he held a single rose in his hand, and I watched sadly as he let it fall into the open grave. I followed behind him and repeated the same motions as I said my final goodbyes to my mother.

"I wish I knew why you had done it, mom." I whispered. I didn't want anybody to overhear what I was saying. "You promised me that we would make it through this together, but you gave up on me. Why?" I couldn't stop myself from beginning to get louder as the wave of emotions washed over me. I was furious with her. I fell to my knees as I sobbed in the rain and the flower slipped from my fingertips. I watched through blurry eyes as it landed on the casket below. "You fucking promised me! You said you would be there! You promised!"

The next thing I knew, my father had me in his arms and was carrying me to the waiting limo. I kept my face buried in the man's chest until I cried myself to sleep.

My life was never going to be the same.


I was a zombie during the reception back at our house.

That's all it was anymore.

It wasn't a home without my mother and Evan. It was just a house, and I was just another ornament inside of it. My grandmother smiled at me as she passed by me with a small vegetable tray in her hands. Right behind her was Justin. He stopped and sat down beside me the moment he saw me sitting there. Justin slipped his arm around my shoulders and pulled me against him. I felt the green-eyed boy kiss the side of my head and I sighed happily as I nuzzled into him.

"I'm here for you, Ethan." Justin whispered. "All you have to do is call."

I nodded as Justin held me tightly.

"Thank you, Justin." I said with a whisper.

"I would do anything for you, Ethan." Justin replied. "You mean the world to me."


I retired to Evan's room once everyone had left our house after the reception. My mother's parents made sure to spend some time with me, forcing me to be social for a few moments. I was polite to the man and woman that had barely made an appearance in my life, and was grateful once they were gone. Justin was the last one to leave, even though I begged him to stay. I didn't want to be without him. I needed him more than even I thought possible.

I laid on my back and stared at the ceiling of Evan's room. All of my thoughts were filled with self-hatred as I considered the possibility that I was the reason everyone around me was dying. Was I some sort of grim reaper?


I spent the next few days sitting in the bay window of our living room as I dealt with my mother's passing. I cried multiple times and refused to talk to anyone. I drank water when I was thirsty, but the urge to eat never hit me. My father and grandmother took turns keeping an eye on me the entire time, both of them refusing to leave me alone. I guess I looked like I was about to go over the deep end at any moment and they wanted to keep it from happening. I withdrew into myself. Jenna and Justin even stopped by to see me, but I couldn't bring myself out of my funk to socialize with them. It was better just to push everyone away so I didn't hurt anybody else. My father had even gotten my therapist to stop by the house, but I couldn't bring myself to look at the green eyed woman. It was that evening when my perspective began to change.

I was sitting in the bay window of our living room when I heard a door creak open upstairs followed by a soft knock a moment later.

"Mom?" I heard the sound of my father's voice. "Are you awake?"

"Yes, dear." I heard my grandmother reply. "Come on in, Eugene."

I heard the door push open further before either of them spoke.

"What am I going to do, mom?" My father's voice broke as I heard him beginning to cry. A lump formed in my own throat at the sound.

"It'll be okay, Eugene." I heard my grandmother whisper as she tried to calm her son. "Ethan's been through a lot..."

"He's all I have left, though." My father interrupted her. "I can't lose Ethan, too. It's not like I can force him to eat, though. The only choice I have to keep my son alive is to take him to the hospital and have them put him on an IV. I can't watch him waste away like this. His eyes just look so empty, mom." I heard him sniffle lightly. "Even after Evan's accident there was still a spark there. Now, there's just nothing. What do I do, mom?"

I leaned my head against the window and began to cry. I had been so absorbed in my own misery that I hadn't even realized the stress I was causing my own father. I sniffled before I pushed myself away from the window and climbed the stairs slowly. They were both sitting on the bed when I entered my grandmother's room. My grandmother had her arm across my dad's shoulder as he wept quietly. They both looked up at me when I entered the room.

"Ethan?" My grandmother started, but I ignored her. I quickly climbed up onto the bed and threw myself into my father's arms as I cried.

"I'm so sorry, dad." I whimpered as I buried my face in his chest. "I promise that I'll do better."

"Shh, baby boy." My father whispered as he held me tightly against him. "I love you no matter what happens, Ethan. I promise that I'll never leave you."

"I love you too, dad." I whispered as I tried to get my emotions back under control.

Once I had regained my composure, I hugged my grandmother and dad and went to bed. I stopped outside of Evan's room for a brief moment and gazed in at the bed. The only way I was going to be able to let go was if I started sleeping in my own room.

"I love you, Evan." I whispered before I went to sleep in my own bed. "I'll never forget you."

It's another short chapter from the perspective of Ethan as he deals with the loss of his mother. Ethan is struggling as he slowly starts to count all of the family members that he has lost in just a few months worth of time. Will Ethan be able to keep his emotions in control, or will he follow in the steps of his mother? Will he continue to let the belief grow that everybody is dying because of him, or will he talk to somebody about how he is really feeling?
Copyright © 2021 StoryMyke; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 5
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Thinking you're like the grim reaper. Now that is a dismal perspective.

Why have the maternal grandparents been so aloof all this time? Didn't approve of the marriage?

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Everyone deals with the death of loved ones differently, but at Ethan’s age the challenge of multiple losses is indeed a reason for concern. Knowing his grandmother is a witch, I hope she might provide some special solace along with her love and his father’s deep, abiding love. Maybe his struggles will give him strength and opportunities to come out to them. This story keeps getting better, @StoryMyke!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

@drpaladin The honest answer to your question? Killing off the mother was a last minute choice, as it was not really intended to happen until Volume 2 or 3. Cynthia didn't really fit the role for the story, though. So, she was turned into another plotline that I can't talk about.

 

I'm glad you guys are enjoying it, though. You're going to hate me by the end of the first book. Just FYI 🙂.  The next chapter has been submitted, too. 🙂

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..