Jump to content
    Superpride
  • Author
  • 5,665 Words
  • 655 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Honeybunch, New Mexico - 2. Chapter Two

The fundraiser, or whatever this was, was tragically cut short when the police arrived at the hotel. It seemed that the entire police force of the city was here which made complete sense since a time shifter entering our world beyond the wall was entirely unheard of, until now of course. The entire parking lot was clogged with police cruisers, officers talking to all the guest of the fundraiser event, none of them leaving until they gave statements to what they saw. However, it was completely useless since only three people witnessed what truly happened at the restroom; me, Malcolm, and…freaking Chip Andrews. But with an unbelievable scenario like this, the police didn’t want to leave anything behind.

While the police did their job, Malcolm and I just sat on the curb, already told a police officer what we witnessed. I wanted to help, especially at the restroom where an investigation team was at, but I was repeatedly told that this was police business with one snide officer stating that they didn’t need INK agents tapering with the evidence. I wanted to punch him in the face, but I settled with narrowing my eyes at the man who shrank back in response. All talk, no action. I couldn’t believe that I wanted to be a police officer myself when I was younger, but I eventually realized that the police could be easily corrupted and mostly danced around issues, not solving them. That was why I joined INK, and though their methods were sometimes seen as forceful, we got shit done. We were the kind of person who would solder a wound closed, yes it was painful, but the bleeding stopped, and the victim would live to see another day.

“You okay there, partner?” Malcolm said with a hand on my shoulder.

“Yeah…or I will be. Getting shot at is never something you get used,” I admitted.

“Well, thanks to your quick reflexes, that other man in the restroom gets to live another day.”

“Yeah…” I said which was all I could muster for now.

“Mr. Maguire?”

Turning around, I saw a man who must’ve been the sheriff because of the oversized hat on his head. “Yes, Sheriff?”

“Are you the INK agent who called us after seeing a person shift into our world at the men’s restroom?” the sheriff asked with his hand clutched to his utility belt.

“Yes, that’s me,” I said, standing up. “Do you need me to give another statement?”

“No, that exactly.” The sheriff cleared his throat. “Mr. Maguire, I’m sure you know that a shifter has never entered our world beyond the wall. Ever. This is a very trouble if what you said was true, so I need you to come with me to the scene of the incident and tell me, word for word, what exactly transpired there?”

I nodded and followed the sheriff back into the hotel with Malcolm close behind me. The entrance of the restroom was guarded by one officer on either side who both nodded at the sheriff as we entered. The restroom had at least a dozen police investigators there, doing everything from taking pictures to marking every bit of possible evidence which was a lot, considering the shard-like pieces of the unknown state of matter was scattered all over the floor.

“All right, Mr. Maguire. Tell me what you and your partner witnessed as soon as you entered the restroom.”

I told the sheriff everything that happened at the scene, which wasn’t much. It was very simple really. I appeared right after a shifter appeared, ordered him to drop his gun, he fired regardless, and I pushed Chip out of the way. Chip…god damnit. Malcolm then took over, saying that he shot the gun away from the shifter’s hand before the man disappeared in a bright light. That was what shocked the sheriff the most and the police investigators who paused for a moment before resuming their work.

The sheriff shook his head and took his hat off. “Lord. Not only did a shifter enter our world beyond the wall, he was able to disappear as well?”

I just nodded.

Cursing, the sheriff placed his hat back on and said, “The press is going to have field day with this.”

“Sheriff? We’ve found something that might be of interest,” one police investigator said.

The sheriff approached the investigator, and I looked to see that they were in front of where the bullet struck the wall. “What is it?”

“Well, Sheriff. This bullet isn’t a bullet at all, judging simply by its appearance.” The investigator handed the small object to the Sheriff who held it close to his eyes. “It looks more a tranquilizer dart, one designed specifically for humans.”

“Wait a minute,” I said, stepping between them. “Are you saying that the shifter could’ve had an ulterior motive other than just murder?”

“It appears so,” the investigator stated.

“Damnit! It keeps getting more complicated,” the sheriff said. “And who was the third person who witnessed all this occurring?”

“It was Chip Andrews, Sheriff…the governor’s son,” I answered, not feeling good after saying that.

“And did we already get a statement from him?” When no one had an answer, the Sheriff cursed and walked out of the restroom to find out, leaving both me and Malcolm with the police investigators.

Looking around the unreasonably large restroom, I was trying to look for any other clues that haven’t been marked as evidence yet. Then I sensed it. Walking towards the spot where the shifter most likely first appeared, I crouched to the floor and closely examined a small speck that was easily missed by the investigators. I then told a nearby investigator that they needed to take a cotton swab of what I expected to be blood from the shifter, caused most likely when Malcolm shot his weapon away. He looked surprised by my close examination, but then quickly ordered for a cotton swab before marking the speck of blood as evidence.

“How do you do that?” Malcolm asked.

I chuckled. “Long story.”

“Well, unless you see anything else of importance, I recommend we get the hell out of here.”

I agreed, following my partner out of the restroom. I was relieved since I also sensed the tension being displayed by the police investigators. The police and INK never had a good relationship ever since the new law enforcement agency was created to combat the growing crime rate of shifters pouring into our world. Both entities mostly minded their own business, enforcing the law separately from each other. But then came moments just like this one when both of them had to work together, and that was never easy. Luckily, no one other than that one snide officer made a direct comment towards us, and I was able to put him back into his place.

Entering the parking lot again, I felt the cool night air that felt relaxing compared to the stifling setting of the crime scene. As Malcolm and I walked back to our vehicle, I looked at the one ambulance in the area and saw a person being treated by a paramedic, my heart jumping when I realized the person was Chip, my childhood friend and the one person who broke my heart after believing I would never see him again. I felt a mixture of happiness, sadness, and anger, all at once which didn’t feel well with that crappy burrito I had an hour ago. I thought about just entering the car and driving away, so I could do the large amount of paperwork required before I could finally go back home. But it just didn’t feel right to not at least talk to the man.

So, taking a deep breath, I told Malcolm that I would be back soon. Malcolm just nodded and said that he would wait in the car. Walking through the parking lot, pass police officers and people giving statements, I soon approached the man I thought I would marry one day. He was wearing a suit that fitted his body perfectly which only intensified the images of a wedding with the person that I loved…or thought I loved. I was just a stupid teenager back then, with equally as stupid dreams of weddings that had a happily ever after and beliefs that if I loved hard enough, that all those dreams would come true. Unfortunately, reality wasn’t as optimistic, and I had my heart broken just before I was kick out my home.

My fist clenched from the memories of what Chip and I had, happy memories that were all crushed because of him. I wanted to tell him how much of a horrible person he was for suddenly breaking off what we had together and moving away with his family before giving me enough time to recover. He was the main reason why I had trust issues, why I couldn’t have a relationship with another person and not be suspicious of them, believing they too would break my heart as well. But when I got closer to Chip, I realized that the man looked like he seen better days as clutched his arms with a saddened expression on his face, a face that I once got lost in so many years ago. The man must’ve been affected by almost being shot at, and the last thing that he needed was for someone from his past to yell at him for something that wasn’t entirely his fault when I started thinking about it… No! Don’t think that way! Otherwise I was going to have to take some of the blame for what happened to our once close relationship.

With this battle happening in my head, I was about to turn around when Chip saw me, and I knew it was too late to turn back now if I didn’t want to be seen as a coward.

Chip waved his hand at me, and I gave a quick nod in return. He then walked towards me, and I braced myself for whatever was to occur next. Stopping a few feet away from me, he looked at me with what looked like curiosity and wariness, and I couldn’t deny that I was looking at him as well. He looked so different, no longer was he the geeky, frail boy who I quickly grew fond of the first day I saw him getting bullied by a jock before I defended him. The fucker got a broken nose which earned me a two-week suspension.

However, I didn’t regret my actions when the same boy with thick-rimmed glasses came to my home the first day of my suspension and offered me a small, homemade pie as a thank you. I remembered us eating the pie together in my small, cramped kitchen which would forever be etched in my memory. Though this Chip looked barely like the boy I knew years ago, I knew this man was him because of those light blue eyes that expressed so much vulnerability and innocence which made me so determined to protect.

Though things have changed so much in my life since our friendship ended, and I’m sure the same thing applied to Chip as we stood there awkwardly for a few moments, neither of us knowing what to say.

However, Chip was the first to break the ice. “Topher…hey.”

I attempted a small smile and said, “Hey, uh…Chip.” I then looked down, and I wondered when did the man who got into fights every week at school and gave many men the best orgasms of their lives become so shy.

“Topher, I…I wanted to thank you for being there at the right time… You saved me from getting shot by that shifter, and I… I don’t know how to repay you,” Chip confessed, sounding so vulnerable which made me want to hug him and whisper sweet nothings to him.

Holding back me urge to even take one step closer to Chip, I cleared my throat and said, “No problem. It’s my job after all.”

Chip raised an eyebrow to that, but then he noticed the front of my vest that displayed to everyone that I was an INK agent. I grimaced, knowing that Chip’s father was the governor of New Mexico and that he was devoted to taking down INK, believing we were a blockade that prevented the country from embracing shifters into our society just like the wall. I also knew that Chip worked for his father, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Chip held the same views as him, the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree as the saying goes.

Wanting to remove any confusion, I said, “Yes, I’m an INK agent, Chip. Have been for five years. I understand if you have a problem with that and if you want me to go now—”

“No,” Chip said quickly which surprised both me and him, judging by the blush forming on his cheeks. “I mean…regardless of who you work for, you still went out of your way to save my life, risking your own in the process… I want to repay you for that.”

“You don’t have to.”

“No, but I want to, Topher…and I also just want to reconnect with you. It has been years since we last talked, and I want to know how you’ve been since then… So, what do you say we meet up at the small Filipino café at the downtown area of the city?”

“Oh, um…sure. I have work at one tomorrow, but if you want to meet up at around nine.”

“That’s perfect,” Chip said before extending his hand out to me.

I grabbed his hand firmly and shook it, feeling strange since we used to greet each other with hugs, regardless of who saw or judged. “Well, I’ll see you—”

“Chip!”

Chip turned around to a dark-haired man quickly approaching him. I was taken aback when the man embraced Chip who embraced him back. I felt so out of place as the two men hugged each other like…lovers?

“Chad! Where were you?” Chip said.

“I’m so sorry. I wanted to come to you as soon as I heard what happened. But the police held me until I finished giving my statement. Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I will be.”

This man, Chad supposedly, then noticed my presence, and one look at my uniform caused him to sneer. I narrowed my eyes at him in return but held back any comments since people looking down at me was one of the negative perks of the job.

Chip didn’t notice as he turned back to me and said, “Chad, this is Topher. He’s the one who saved me from getting shot by a shifter.”

Chad looked shocked by that, and I couldn’t stop myself from smiling. I already did not like this guy and whatever advantage I had over him was well-received.

“And Topher, this is Chad. My boyfriend.”

Now it was my turn to be shocked, and this Chad fucker seemed to have noticed as he placed his arm around Chip’s shoulder and held him close.

“Your boyfriend, huh?”

“Yeah, been so for three years,” Chad said, placing a quick peck on Chip’s cheek that made him chuckle and made me want to shout out in rage since I knew that was deliberate.

“You might know him. He works for his father’s law firm called Daniels & Daniels,” Chip said innocently.

Oh, I definitely knew him now. His father’s law firm was responsible for defending the worst shifters who were responsible for crimes from drug trafficking to murder. They used the current political climate to their advantage, allowing them to win case after case and freeing these dangerous people back into society. They also belittled INK with any substantial evidence my people obtained to prosecute the offender being mostly dismissed or dismantled by them. Could Chip have picked a worse person to be his boyfriend? Though it wouldn’t surprising me if there was an ulterior motive for Chip and Chad to be together, not of Chip’s doing, but of his father. And it didn’t help that Chad looked like a model with his clean, sharp looks. Was I jealous? Hell yeah, I was. But I wasn’t going to admit or even show that to this prick.

Holding onto my anger, I took a step back and said to Chip, “Well, I have to get going now. Stay safe, Chip.”

“Yeah, you too, Topher. And we’re still meeting tomorrow at nine, right?”

I looked at Chad who looked shocked again, and I then looked at Chip with a smile and said, “I’ll be there.”

I continued to smile even as I walked back to my vehicle and buckled in my seatbelt. I started the engine that awakened Malcolm from his nap.

“Is our shift over yet?” Malcolm asked, wiping drool from chin.

“Not even close.”

Malcolm then eyed me and said, “You look chipper all of a sudden. Mind explaining to me why?”

I chuckled. “Long fucking story, partner.”

***

Last night was certainly an event I was going to remember, almost getting shot wasn’t something any person could forget. I still couldn’t believe that actually happened. One moment I was just washing and drying my hands, then the next a shifter appeared and aimed his weapon right at me, ready to shoot. My life literally flashed before my eyes, and then I was pushed out of the way just in time by my rescuer. He was a dirty-blond man with scruffy face who I never thought I would see again. His name was Topher, Topher Maguire, my first love and my biggest regret in my life. Not because I resented our love, the total opposite. I loved him once upon a time, and I ruined it by the events that I helped caused.

I didn’t want to think about it, and all I could ask for now was to talk to Topher again, so I could apologize to him and mend any unresolved anger he must have towards me. I thought the Filipino café downtown was the perfect place to meet; however, I should’ve asked where he wanted to go instead. Of course, I didn’t consider that, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t show up, that being one of a long list of reasons. I also should’ve asked for his number, but that could’ve been too much. Hell, this whole arrangement to meet here was completely ridiculous. We only exchanged a few sentences with each other before I recommended that we meet up. I just wanted to repay him for saving my life and taking him out to this popular café was a good start in my opinion.

I already ordered my halo-halo, dipping my spoon into the ube-flavored scoop of ice cream on top of the mixed drink as I waited for Topher to arrive. Every time I heard the door open, I looked up, only to be disappointed when the person wasn’t Topher. However, I didn’t give up hope…that was until thirty minutes turned into an hour, and I was already done with my halo-halo by then. To say that I was disappointed was an understatement. I had the one chance to reconnect with Topher, my childhood best friend, but I screwed it up like it did with our friendship long ago.

“You look down. What’s wrong?”

I turned to face my friend, Angelica, who was worked as a part-time waitress for her family’s café. “Oh, it’s nothing.”

“Come on, Chip. We’re friends, right?” Angelica said as leaned her hands on the table.

“Of course, we are.”

“Then tell me, Chip. What’s gotten you to look so down today?”

I sighed and said, “I’m supposed to meet up with someone here today, and he’s an hour late. Actually, never mind. I don’t think he wanted to come at all.”

“Who’s he?” Angelica asked.

“Just a friend I knew since middle school,” I said, omitting much of the long history me and Topher had together. “We haven’t talked in years, and I thought it would be a good idea to meet here and catch up.”

“Just a friend?”

“Yeah. Just a friend,” I lied.

“Oh…okay.”

Looking at Angelica, I then said, “What does that mean?”

“Nothing. It’s just…I wouldn’t be so upset over just a friend not wanting to meet up, even if it was a long time since I last saw them,” Angelica admitted.

“Fine. We were…more than just friends… We were more than best friends actually… But it doesn’t matter. He’s not coming. So, can I just have my check please, or are you—”

The door opened, and I looked to see, who else, Topher Maguire who was welcomed in by Angelica. He was an hour and ten minutes late, but that didn’t matter to me since the memories of our friendship flooded back into my mind and made me feel so nostalgic of the simpler time of my life. I quickly stood up and waved at Topher who gave me a quick nod. I was probably too enthusiastic to see him, especially since he looked calm as he approached my table. I heard a chuckle, and I turned to look at Angelica who had a smirk on her face. I mouthed a “what” to her, but she just shook her head as Topher stopped at my table.

“Hey, Topher. I’m glad you could make it,” I said.

“Yeah, me too. Sorry, I was late. I accidently slept in. Had a lot of paperwork to do before I could go back home. I understand if you have other things to do,” Topher said, looking remorseful with his hands in his jean pockets.

“No, no. That’s fine. I have nothing else to do today. Come and sit down,” I said, motioning Topher to the empty seat across from me.

Topher gave me a small smile and sat down at the table.

“Well, I’m Angelica and welcome to my family’s café. The best Filipino café of all of Honeybunch. What would you like to order?” Angelica pulled out her notepad and pen, ready to write down Topher’s choice of food.

I offered Topher the menu from the table and after a moment of browsing, he then said, “Uh…does your café serve any coffee?”

“No, unfortunately we don’t. I’m sorry. I keep telling my parents that calling this place a café is very misleading, but they never listen. However, we have an assortment of drinks that will energize you just as much.”

“You should try their signature halo-halo. It’s really good,” I recommended.

“Um…sure. Why not? Thank you,” Topher said to Angelica who accepted the menu from him.

“No problem, sir. And a refill for you, Chip?” I nodded, and Angelica jotted down the order. “All right. Your orders should be here in a few minutes.”

When Angelica took my empty glass and walked away, I looked at Topher and gave him a smile. “Nice to see you again, Topher.”

“Yeah…nice seeing you too,” Topher said simply before looking out the window.

I had a strong feeling that Topher didn’t want to be here, either that or he had something in his mind. If the latter was true, I wanted him to talk to me about it. But it was so long since we last saw each other, and it didn’t seem right to ask him to unload any of his baggage on me. People only did that to someone who they could trust and rely on for support…and I most likely wasn’t that person in Topher’s eyes.

So, drumming my fingers on the table, I was thinking of something I wanted to say that would spark a casual conversation, and then I said, “So…what…what have you done since we last saw each other?”

Looking down and leaning against his seat, Topher said, “Plenty, I guess. After you moved away, I went to live with my grandmother and I managed to get my GED before applying to the Police Academy… However, I dropped out halfway through my training and decided to work as a bartender for a little while. Then I became interested in becoming an INK agent and after devoting all my time and energy to become one, I now live in a comfortable two-bedroom, one-bathroom house with an income of fifty-thousand dollars a year.” Looking at me, he then said, “What about you, Chip? What have you been up to?”

I had plenty of questions I wanted to ask Topher first, like why did he move in with my grandmother? Why did he drop out of high school? And why did he drop out of the Police Academy? But I felt those questions could only be asked when I got to know Topher better again.

So, instead I said, “Oh, um…plenty, just like you. I graduated as valedictorian of my high school class with a full-ride scholarship. I then went to college which only took me three years to graduate, and then I became my father’s campaign advisor. Along the way, I met Chad Daniels…my boyfriend. You met him last night.”

“Yeah, I know who he is,” Topher said, sounding like he was bitter.

Clearing my throat, I continued by saying, “And after that, I bought a house at the wealthier, more secluded part of the city and now me and all three of my sisters contribute to helping my father to win reelection this upcoming November. That’s pretty much it for me.”

Looking up, Topher gave me an unreadable expression on his face as he said, “You’ve done really good for yourself, Chip.”

I smiled a little. “Thanks. I’m no longer the geek, nerd, or dork everyone thought of me as.”

“What’s wrong with being that geek, nerd, or dork?” Topher looked at me with furrowed eyebrows.

“Oh, well, nothing really. It’s just that no one took me seriously when I was still wearing glasses and had a body frailer than porcelain doll.” I then chuckled. “Chad didn’t even take interest in me until I decided to go to the gym, started to wear contact lenses instead of those thick-rimmed glasses, and had my sisters help me choose my daily ensemble. Now look at me.”

Topher shifted in his seat and said, “So, you decided to change your entire appearance just to please a bunch of superficial people?”

I taken aback by that question, and I tried to justify my actions by saying, “No, I did it for myself… Besides, who wants to be with the loser I used to be?”

“I did.”

I looked at Topher and was ready for him to say that he was joking. But he continued to look at me seriously, with those golden-brown eyes I used to look at and get lost in. Thinking back, it seemed that everyone didn’t want to involve themselves with the biggest loser at school…except for Topher who was by my side whenever I was in trouble, protecting me from bullies and showing everyone else that they had to get through him first before they could even touch me. I was about to ask Topher another question when Angelica arrived with our halo-halo drinks.

“Enjoy!” Angelica said before walking to another table with patrons.

Topher looked confusingly at his halo-halo, most likely never seeing a Filipino dessert before. “So…how do you eat this?”

“Just with a spoon,” I said, demonstrating by dipping a spoon into my own halo-halo before placing the sweet dessert into my mouth. “See. Like that.”

Topher chuckled and shook his head. He then took his spoon and took a small scoop of the ube-flavored ice cream on top and placed it in his mouth. He made a strange expression, but then then it turned into satisfaction as he took another, deeper dip into his drink. I smiled and resumed my eating, enjoying the flavors of the ice cream, sweetened condensed milk mixed with the shaved ice, and coconut jellies that were a mixture of different flavors as well. I was amazed that Topher finished his dessert before I could even finish half of mine, which gave a clear signal that he really enjoyed it.

“Did you like it?” I said, already knowing the answer to that question.

“I did. I might come back here again just for that,” Topher said.

“Glad you liked it. I actually came here with Chad just so we could wait on our dinner reservation and not be in the rain. I then decided we should order here instead, and I loved going here ever since.”

“What about Chad?” Topher asked as he leaned forward.

“Oh, he’s not really into…ethnic food. He would much rather eat at five-star restaurants or eat the food his home chef makes.”

“A home chef, huh? How modest… Remember when you would share me a new dish you cooked every day for lunch?”

I smiled and said, “Yeah. I do. You loved everything that I cooked, even if it was bad.”

“None of your dishes were bad, Chip. You just always sell yourself short.”

I just shrugged, still believing my cooking back then wasn’t the best.

“Anyways, you always fed me whenever I didn’t have enough money saved up to buy a lunch at the cafeteria. I really appreciated that.”

“No problem. You were my friend…my best friend.”

Topher nodded, slowly spinning his spoon in the empty glass. It seemed that the awkwardness between us returned, and I knew that ignoring what we were before I moved away was only going to prolong the tensions forming between us. I just didn’t know how to say it. How could I? Was I just supposed to outright say that I really enjoyed the romantic relationship we developed even if it was extremely short-lived? Then say that I was too much of a coward to tell Topher that I was moving away because I didn’t want to see him heartbroken? Lastly, I should say that I regret waiting until the last minute since you were more then heartbroken, you were completely devastated as you came across one of the moving trucks when you came to visit? But hey, we’re enjoying each other’s company and should totally forget that I didn’t bother to continue contacting you or even leave a simple like on your social media page. God, I didn’t deserve Topher’s forgiveness or even be near his presence. The only thing I deserved was a goodbye from the person I cared about most before he walked away from my life forever.

“Hey, Chip?”

I looked from my halo-halo to Topher who was looking at me with a calmed expression on his face. “Yeah?”

“I really have to get going.”

“Uh…oh. I understand,” I said, standing up from my seat. “I didn’t mean to take up your time.”

“No, you’re fine, Chip. I just need to head to the gym and then shower before heading to work,” Topher said, reaching his wallet.

“Oh, no, Topher. I’ll pay. I’m the one you invited you after all,” I said, pulling out a twenty-dollar bill and dropped it on the table.

“Thanks, Chip.” Topher then walked around the table, and I extended my hand out. He looked at it, like he never shaken a hand before, but proceeded to shake it firmly. “It was good seeing you again.”

“You too,” I said, now thinking that just a handshake wasn’t enough to show Topher how much I appreciated him coming here, talking to him, and knowing he was doing all right. “Um…I guess I’ll see you around.”

“Yeah.” Topher then lightly patted my shoulder before turning around and walking towards the front door. He gave me one last glance before exiting the café.

I watched Topher through the windows before he disappeared…and then I cursed. I completely forgot to get his phone number. I mean, I knew we just reconnected, but I didn’t want this encounter to be our last. I then sighed and dropped back onto my seat. I told myself that he probably wouldn’t want to give me his number and even if he did, I probably would’ve been too scared to call or text him, afraid that any invitation I would give him would be rejected. Also, with his social media account deleted long ago, the only way I could get him to come to me was if another shifter entered our world with the intention to shoot my brains out.

I decided to drown my sorrows with the rest of my halo-halo and after I finished, I said goodbye to Angelica who thanked me once again for the generous tip before entering the breezy, downtown street. Buttoning up my coat, I proceeded to walk to my car that was parked only a block away. As I walked on the sidewalk, I pulled out my phone to check for any unread messages when I suddenly heard shouting and people running from the source of the noise. My instincts told me to not follow the shouting, but when a cry of pain was heard, I quickly placed phone back into my coat pocket and ran forward.

The closer I got, the louder the shouting was and the more people who were running away from whatever was happening. I then heard the sound of something being hit repeatedly, and I then saw five people striking their crowbars and baseball bats on a car parked on the side of the road. Two more people were fighting with a man who was trying his best to fend them off, but he only had his fists, while the other two had melee weapons. I was horrified to see this happening, but my heart dropped even further when I recognized the man as Topher who as fell to the ground when one of the vandalizers swung his bat at his stomach.

With my fist clenched, I moved towards the assholes, ready for anything.

Copyright © 2019 Superpride; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

There is more than a little regret on both sides of the relationship Topher and Chip lost. I suppose we will learn how this all happened eventually. This chapter also gave us a different view of Chad, and it's not very appealing. Topher should have been Chip's love match and not Chad.

 

With the sudden attack on Topher, their old roles have suddenly and surprisingly reversed. Chip is now the one in the position to come to his aid. What caused this attack? He wasn't wearing his uniform.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

There is more than a little regret on both sides of the relationship Topher and Chip lost. I suppose we will learn how this all happened eventually. This chapter also gave us a different view of Chad, and it's not very appealing. Topher should have been Chip's love match and not Chad.

 

With the sudden attack on Topher, their old roles have suddenly and surprisingly reversed. Chip is now the one in the position to come to his aid. What caused this attack? He wasn't wearing his uniform.

 

Yes, it seems that both Chip and Topher have contributed to the breaking of their relationship; though, it could also be said that they are putting themselves down too much, and they should really start resolving the conflict soon by simply addressing the elephant in the room.  Chad seems like the perfect man, handsome, successful, and accepted by Chip's family.  However, people who are the most put together sometimes hide the darkest of secrets.  Hopefully, that doesn't apply to Chad, but if so, Chip better start running.  Lastly, we'll see what hidden abilities Chip will use to deliver justice against those people attacking Topher and what their motivations are in the next chapter.  Thank you for the comment, and your overall input of my story.  😄

  • Love 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Wesley8890 said:

Oh this is an interesting one, but then again all of yours are interesting

 

Thank you!  I always try to spice up my stories, whether that is with folklore, mythology, or people escaping from another temporal dimensional that is causing a division in a country, both figuratively and literally.  😋

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..