Jump to content
    Thirdly
  • Author
  • 2,707 Words
  • 1,329 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

He's a Bastard - 10. Chapter 10- Bad Reception

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Chapter 10- Bad Reception

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Cyrus’s Point of View:

"I absolutely refuse to sleep in the same bed." I declared adamantly when I realized that there was only one bed in the room I was supposed to share with my mentor. I saw Makith attempting to cover his expression with his hands, but I could see the mirth in his golden eyes quite clearly. The nymph was starting to grow on me. He tended to put Revelin in his place every now and then, just like I did. And he was petite, just as I was. Honestly, I rather enjoyed talking to someone that I could look right in the eye instead of craning my neck all the time.

"My chamber has two beds, if you would rather share mine," Makith offered.

"Sounds great," I replied with no hesitation whatsoever.

"Such loyalty," Revelin replied in a grumble.

I waved goodbye cheekily as Makith led the way down the hall to his own room. The room was smaller, but the beds were secured to the walls at a corner, similar to bunk beds. I wondered what kind of material the walls were made out of that they could withstand such weight. The room itself was painted in a soft, pale sea green. "Makith..." I began as I glanced down at the seaweed-green floor. "For reasons unknown to me, your room makes me crave seafood. Salty seafood."

Makith let out a deep sigh. "You are my guest, so I wish to treat you as royalty. But, I cannot grant that particular request," He began as he motioned for me to sit next to him on the bottom bed. "You see, we are vegetarians. What were those other words that Lin used...? We are mostly Lacto-vegetarians and Vegans, actually."

"I see, I meant no offense."

"When I studied in the academy with the others, I was exposed to all kinds of diets. So long as no one shoved what they were eating in my face, I was fine. As you can imagine, Revelin was the first to learn that lesson the hard way." A harsh smirk formed on his face. "I nearly drowned him with his own carbonated drink. None of us really got along for a long time."

"Not to say that I'm dying of curiosity or anything," I started, but stopped. "Alright, I take it back. I am dying of curiosity. Just how in the world did the five of you end up getting along if you just about hated each other so much?"

"The Alcaid and our Instructors noticed the endless rivalry between us and they forced us into several group projects. If we couldn't work together to complete those projects properly, then we would all have failing grades. Sink or swim." Makith explained. "It was rather difficult at first, but after the first couple of projects, we formed a grudging respect towards one another. After a few more projects, we began to get along. And, by the last few projects, we had formed close bonds."

"I'm a bit envious," I affirmed. "All I really had was my nephew during my time at the academy. I would have liked to have at least one close friend."

"My friends were my family," Makith confessed. "I have no one of blood relation. I would have liked to have at least one blood relative."

We both fell silent for a moment.

"Hey, I don't want to really offend anyone during my stay. Is there anything else I should know about your culture other than the food?" I asked in an attempt to break the silence.

"No, but I will warn that those that work in the cafeteria will want to pile your plate high with food." Makith replied as he walked towards the door. "It is similar to an 'old wives’ tale' that anyone who is short simply lacks proper nourishment. Though I learned early on that genetics have a bigger part to play on such things, there is nothing one can say to the staff of the cafeteria that will sway them otherwise."

I couldn't help the grin that formed on my face as I followed him to the cafeteria. Some things seemed rather universal, even between dimensions.

::::::

Alexandra’s Point of View:

I outright rolled my eyes when Duncan scratched and tugged at the new clothing he was given. "How can you stand this...this cheap fabric?" He huffed.

"Prince Saul must grant his magician messengers an impressive wage indeed for you to be able to afford such luxurious fabric," Damien drawled sarcastically.

I could tell that he wasn't entirely comfortable in his own outfit, but he certainly didn’t complain, which spoke volumes of his manners.

We saw a blush streaked across Duncan's nose and cheeks and he opened his mouth as if he was going to say something, but he closed it again in another silent huff.

I shook my head at their banter. "Listen, you two, if we're ever going to get to the bottom of this, we need to work together." A lesson I had learned well during my last years at the academy. "I need to be able to both send and receive a message through my charm. And, depending on how distant the dimension is, I will need more than just my own Vim."

The contrite expression on Duncan's face was priceless. "We're ready to help you in any way that we can."

"Good. I need you both to place a hand on each of my shoulders," I instructed. "And don't panic when you start feeling the Vim getting sucked out of you. Have either of you donated blood before?" I sighed at their confused expressions. "Never mind. Just, be sure to remain seated and try not to faint."

The three of us sat down in chairs set in a close triangle so that it would be easier for them to place a hand on each of my shoulders. I had taken her contacts off, so I knew that my lilac eyes began to glow as I concentrated. My hands were held before me as if I were holding an invisible sphere, at least until an actual violet sphere formed between them. After another moment, Revelin's face came into view. "Limber, what's going on? Where are you?"

Revelin's blue eyes widened before a smile took over his features. "Lexie! We're in Makith's dimension on an island. We've had two attacks in two different dimensions. We need all the help we can get." He replied in a serious tone.

"Guess I was due for a change of scenery," I sighed dramatically. "Tell Maki to pick us up at the oasis, then."

The image of Revelin frowned for a moment, his gaze finally falling on the hands that were on my shoulders. From his position, he probably couldn't see the owners of them. "Us?"

"This is one of those 'show, don't tell' cases," I answered with a devious smile. "See you soon." When I cut off the transmission, I saw Duncan swaying in his chair.

"Whoa, I got ya," Damien said as his hands shot out to steady the brunette as Duncan passed out. "And here he was boasting about having more skills when it came to magic."

"You know, it's so strange seeing the way you two talk," I commented. "You don't speak like a prince at all, though you were the one who was dressed as one. And he speaks as if he's some high lord though he's dressed like a messenger. Talk about opposites."

"I idolized Revelin since I was nine years old," Damien replied with a half-smirk. "My speech kind of adapted to be more like his as the years went by. My sister, however, felt that speaking ‘improperly’ wasn't suitable for a leader of a kingdom." His expression became more serious. "She cares so much about our dimension that it would be the least I could do to ease her worries over Revelin's safety."

I raised an eyebrow. "Then, what's his story?" I asked as I motioned with a nod towards the unconscious Duncan.

"I haven't the slightest clue," He responded with a chuckle. "But, I certainly hope to find out."

**

As soon as I appeared in the oasis, Makith leaped into my arms. "Alexandra!"

"Maki!" I replied with the same amount of enthusiasm. "This is Prince Damien of the Darenvy, Revelin's charge. And this is Duncan, who is confused as to what he himself really is."

"O-of course I know who I am!" Duncan countered, his green eyes sending me a glare.

"Sure you do," I replied with a hint of sarcasm. "Guys, meet Makith. Oasis nymph extraordinaire."

"Pleased to meet you both," Makith said as he shook both their hands, starting with Duncan. When he looked up at Damien, his grin widened. "This is the first time I've met someone with similar eyes as mine."

"Same here," Damien replied with an answering smile. "I guess now I see why Revelin let me get away with a lot of things as a kid."

"We must ask him when we see him!" Makith added.

"Tch!" Duncan hissed as he folded his arms. "The person I want to see is Sir Kairos. Is he well?"

"Come find out for yourself," Makith replied with a slight shake of his head, tossing me a mischievous glance. He stood in the waters of his oasis and motioned for us to step into it.

"Aaaaaahh!" Duncan shrieked moments later as we were all transported from one body of water to another. The magician messenger was clinging to Damien's back as if he were a living backpack. "W-w-w-warn someone next time about the jarring sensation of such means of transportation!" He hissed in the direction of Makith just as I gave the nymph a high five. "The nerve!"

"Come on, Duncan," Damien said softly as he carefully slid him off his back. "So, where are the others?"

"Are the three of you hungry?" Makith simply asked.

::::::

Cyrus’s Point of View:

"You seemed to have gotten along rather well with Makith in the past," I commented as the cafeteria line inched forward. I handed a tray to my mentor before taking one for myself. "Why didn't you ask him to be your assistant?"

"Your jealousy is rather flattering," Revelin purred before hovering over my ear and whispering. "Could it be that you wish you were the only assistant by my side even then?"

I viciously rubbed at my ear and glared at him. "If that is anyone's wish, it would be yours, not mine."

"I'll let it be known that I did ask Makith to be my assistant once, but he turned me down." He elaborated. "His home dimension was, and still is, far more important to him."

As I asked for a random array of the vegetable casseroles in front of me, the server gaped at me and gave me twice of everything that I asked for. When I glanced to the side, I could have sworn that my mentor was pouting.

"They certainly seem to remember me." He sighed.

The same server who had attended to me was giving my mentor a murderous glare. I noticed that his plate was full of several burnt edges and overcooked vegetables. "I guess so.”

"They certainly seem to like you well enough," He scoffed as he motioned towards my heaping plate.

"Just what exactly did you do to be 'cast out' of this peaceful place?" I inquired as we found someplace to sit.

Revelin cleared his throat. "It was an accident. I was actually trying to help fend away bandit attacks from one village to another. I ended up somehow causing the tunnel that connected three mountain-surrounded towns to the main road to collapse." He divulged. "They were trapped for months."

I shook my head, not having any doubt that what he told me was true. "If you help rebuild their kingdom, you might be pardoned." I advised as I transferred half of my food onto his plate.

"Thank you. And I don't care if they pardon me or not," He admitted. "So long as we find out who's behind this and make sure that they don't have a chance to perform an encore."

"Agreed." I stated.

"Sir Kairos!"

A cold chill rolled down my spine at the sound of the familiar voice. "Tell me I'm only hearing things."

"As much as I would love to tell you as much, it would be a blatant lie," Revelin growled. "Really, Lexie? I ask you for reinforcements and you bring me this?" He questioned as he pointed at Duncan, who was beginning to cut off the circulation to my arm as he clung to it.

"Duncan, please behave yourself," Damien admonished.

To everyone's surprise, Duncan quickly obeyed and released my arm. "R-Right. I was simply joyous and relieved that you are alright, Sir Kairos."

"Now, what were the exact words you used?" The lilac-eyed woman mused as she tapped her lips with a finger. "Ah, that's right, 'we need all the help we can get.' You can't afford to be picky about it."

My mentor groaned and covered his face with a hand. "I suppose you're right.” After a moment he motioned towards me. “Lexie, meet my assistant, Cyrus. Cy, this is Alexandra." His eyes narrowed. "What happened to your hair?"

"What, this?" She asked as she ran a hand through the dark locks. "Forced to dye it to blend into my dimension."

"Wow, you must really care for that dimension in order to go as far as covering the hair color you had taken so much pride in," Revelin pondered aloud.

"Thank you both for being here," Makith spoke up from behind Damien. "I feel a bit more at ease."

"Speaking of dimension travel, where are Verity and Itharos?" Lexie inquired. "Didn't they decide to Wander, too?"

My mentor and Makith looked at one another. "Well, we were hoping you could help us find them," Makith told her.

“Well, at least I won’t have too much difficulty if I have you two to help,” She contemplated aloud. “Not to mention that neither of you would faint by giving me an excess of Vim.” She tossed a smug look towards Duncan.

“That was my first time sharing my magic in that manner!” Duncan retaliated.

Alexandra’s gaze shifted from the prince to the magician messenger, and finally to me. “You know what? I think it would be best if we all chipped in. Let’s see if we can get a hold of Verity first. Come on, hands on my shoulders and my head…” The round charm on her bracelet began to glow a burgundy hue as she focused the flow of Vim into a violet sphere.

Damien and Duncan took hold of each of her shoulders, Makith and I placed our hands on top of her head, and my mentor sat on the ground and settled his hand on one of her knees. A strange static began to form around the sphere as an image began to flicker in and out of it.

“…Xandra…can’t talk…low Vim…”

From the brief flashes, I was only able to make out a tiny woman with short white hair and brown eyes. I couldn’t make out any other details on her face. She seemed to be rather pale and wore, what appeared to be, a thick, burgundy-hued cloak.

“…later!”

And then, the sphere was blank once more. Alexandra frowned. “I’ve never heard of anyone having such a low reserve of Vim to not be able to receive a message. Limber, what do you think of this?”

“It sounds like she was using up the majority of her Vim on a regular basis to have such a low reserve.” My mentor responded. “Perhaps she finally decided to settle down on one dimension and stopped Wandering?”

“Makith!” A peach-haired nymph hollered as she ran through the cafeteria. Her light blue irises trembled as she caught her breath. “There have been signs of activity spotted in the ruins of the Kingdom!”

Makith thanked the girl and turned to face us. “My friends,” He pleaded, the gravity in his voice unmistakable. “Please come with me.”

Copyright © 2015 Thirdly; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..