Jump to content
    Thirdly
  • Author
  • 2,730 Words
  • 1,273 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

He's a Bastard - 14. Chapter 14- Measuring Tape and Jars

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Chapter 14- Measuring Tape and Jars

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Cyrus's POV:

"My ancestors are surely turning in their graves." My mentor commented dryly as he took in the state that his family's mansion was in.

Every room was an open portal to a different dimension. Dimensional rips were scattered on different segments of the ceiling. And, those strange shadow-like creatures guarded every door. We had managed to sneak in through a portal that opened up to one of the bathrooms. The bathrooms were, in fact, the only doors that weren't guarded. I didn't know if Itharos had something against opening dimension portals in bathrooms or if we were just that lucky.

"We distract, you search," Alexandra ordered.

Neither Revelin nor I chose to argue with that. We simply took off in the direction of my mentor's chambers. Before we even took a step towards the door, I felt the familiar weight of a warm hand on my shoulder and looked up.

"I know that I won't be able to take on Itharos alone," He began as his blue eyes took on the serious sharpness that was usually reserved for my training. "I will hold him off for as long as I can until we are able to regroup. But, I need you to find tweedledee and tweedledum for me. Alexandra's orb showed that they clearly weren't in the same room as Makith. Itharos probably has them held captive elsewhere."

I let out a snort at the latest nicknames that Prince Damien and Duncan were labeled. "How can you be sure that they're not really in there with him?" I questioned. I didn't want to let him go in there alone.

"Take this," He said as he reached into his pocket and handed me a charm.

I gaped at the little thing. "Are you fucking kidding me?" I hissed. In my hand was a charm version of the top half of my favorite pajamas. When I looked back up, my mentor was holding a charm of the pajama bottoms. "I thought you said you hated seeing those? Really? I mean, it couldn't be my favorite mug that defined me…I'm the 'pajamas' charm for everyone?"

Revelin let out a snort. "You were the one that continued to wear them stubbornly. One would think you'd be happy." A devious smirk formed on his face. "I may not like them, but…" He dangled the charm of my pajama bottoms in his hand. "Your pants are safe in my hands."

A hot blush rose to my face, in spite of everything. "So, I take it that these will serve as our means of communicating?"

"Exactly," My mentor confirmed. "Should I find them here first, or if I find that I'm unable to stall any longer, I will activate the charm on my end."

"Alright." The logical part of me envisioned the 'safety in numbers' picture that Revelin was painting for me, should we all manage to regroup properly. But another part of me, one that I have fervently ignored up until recently, was screaming at me not to leave him alone. I nodded reluctantly and forced my feet to move. I refused to look back and lose my resolve. They were all trusting me to find and release our friends and I was going to play my part.

::::::

Revelin's POV:

I watched my assistant go with a strange tightness in my throat. Facing Itharos alone was springing a trap that he undoubtedly created for me, but Cyrus was our wild card. He was the one person that Itharos had no memory of. I hoped upon hope that his underestimating the blonde would tip the scales in our favor. With a deep breath, I walked through the door of my room.

The room was colder than it usually became during winter. And it was because of the freezer-like feeling that I made sure that the mansion was kept well heated. "Why is it so cold in here?"

"Lin!" Makith gasped from where he was tethered on the wall. "Lin, whatever it is, it's taken over Itharos's body and refuses to let him go! Itharos isn't doing any of this voluntarily. If you kill him, you'll kill Itharos, as well-"

Before I could make better sense of what Makith was trying to tell me, I was forced to move out of the way of an incoming blast of water. Wait, water? "If you're not Itharos, then who are you?"

"If you can best him, I will take your body instead," Itharos was speaking, but the voice that came out of his mouth was not his own. "If you can't, you will die. Either way, it sounds wonderful."

"What are you?" I questioned.

"I don't see it fit to tell you, Wanderer. This body is mine now, along with the person to whom it used to belong to." The voice replied.

"Lin," Makith growled. "Beat him to an inch of his life if you have to. An inch is all we need."

::::::::

Cyrus's POV:

"Just how the hell am I supposed to find those two?" I grumbled under my breath as I checked room after room. Just about the only place I hadn't checked was… "The basement!" As I neared my destination, some of the strange shadow beings blocked my path. "Not you guys again…" I readied a concentrated layer of Vim on my hand, but as I prepare to launch myself at them, I stopped dead in my tracks at the chaos that unfolded before me.

One minute, I saw shadow-like arms extended towards me, and the next minute an arctic dragon howled at them and promptly trampled the group of shadow beings as it ran past. Alexandra and Verity were running right behind it, using their Vim to tie the arms and legs of some of the “shadows”. "We got this, Cyber! You go on ahead!" Alexandra ordered.

I didn't even question it. I simply made my way through to the basement. If it wasn't one chaos, it was another. Imagine my surprise as I ran down the stairs to the basement to find the bottom of it wedged into another dimension's dungeon. Revelin would pass out from shock at the sight. As I warily walked between the dungeon cells, I raised an eyebrow when I found my current charges making out against the bars. "Isn't that an uncomfortable position?" I asked. They pulled away immediately at the sound of my voice. "No time for explanations, let's get you out of here," I stated sharply as I used my Vim to form a key and unlocked the cell door. Making objects out of spells was something that I excelled at, not to mention picking locks.

"Revelin wants us to try to ambush Itharos together," I relayed the message. "So, stick close to me and try not to get side-tracked." When we ran back out into the hallway, it was swarming with shadow beings. "Why are there so many of them now?" I asked as I fought my way forward and kept the other two in my line of sight.

"They started pouring out of a dimension from one of the rooms!" Verity cried. It was just Alexandra, the dragon, and herself, fighting off the legions.

Prince Damien, Duncan, and I helped to fend them off to our best ability. Of course, nothing would ever truly go according to plan. We were well into the battle when I noticed the charm glowing in my pocket. "Shit!" I hissed. "Can you two keep an eye on our charges?" I yelled.

"Yes, I think so." Verity replied. "I'll just keep them near the dragon. Just go!"

:::::::

As I ran and forced my way through the shadow beings, I came to the most daunting realization that had ever dawned upon me. And I fought tooth and nail with the voices in my head stating the obvious. Why was I even worried about my mentor?

He was a bastard. My inner voice reminded me.

After all, he just about trained me into the ground every chance he got. You'd think that, other than the training part, he'd be more responsible about some things…

There was seriously no other way for me to describe it.

Alright, so he was somewhat of a genius…a philanthropist of sorts…and loyal to a fault…

He was also a man-slut...a manipulative rat...an egotistical dickhead...

Oh, dear cosmos and all the other spirits that may exist in the universe...

How the freaking hell have I fallen in love with him?

That very realization continued to ring in my head as I burst through the doors of Revelin's room to find an enormous navy blue serpent squeezing my mentor within its coils with all its strength. Makith was struggling within his confining and Itharos was a limp, unmoving body on the ground beside him. Despite the scene being yet another unexpected chaos in my eyes, I lifted my chin and glared at the creature with furious hazel eyes. "Let. Him. Go." I hissed.

The serpent had only two front legs, both of which he used to crawl over to me. "You are not familiar to me. Has Itharos even met you?" When he lowered his massive face to look at me, I noticed that it had two long, thick whiskers on either side of its muzzle.

I took hold of those whiskers and pulled down on them hard. "Listen here," I growled. "I've eaten fried eel before, and I'm sure you'd taste no different. So, I give you one last chance. Drop him."

"Heh." The serpent scoffed as he merely tightened his hold on Revelin. "Impudent little thing."

"Then I suppose I better work up an appetite," I stated as I coated both my hands with Vim. I dove and rolled right between its only legs and went straight for the tip of his scaled tail. My Vim formed a massive poleaxe that I swung down onto the tip. The blade merely embedded half way, but the effect was immediate. The serpent howled and released its hold on Revelin.

I barely dodged in time when it took a swipe at me. I quickly jumped onto its paw and used it as a springboard to leap high above its head. This time, I formed a Vim axe that I embedded right in between its eyes. While the serpent thrashed about, I ran over to release Makith from his bindings.

"Look out!" Makith cried as the serpent's injured tail smacked into my back.

I had only just managed to release one of Makith's arms before I took the blow. The pain was unbelievable, but I knew the difference between a broken bone and bruised muscles. I was struggling to think when I felt a cool sensation on my back. "Makith?" I managed to grit out.

"One of the benefits of being an Idler," The nymph explained as he reached out as far as he could towards me. "The ability to use my Vim to heal. But, as a nymph, I can't use my Vim to attack." His golden eyes glanced warily at the fuming serpent. "I can release myself from here, distract it while I check on Revelin and Itharos!"

"No!" The serpent roared, his tail slamming down to block Makith from getting to Itharos. "He's mine now, nymph!" His scales began to shift like light reflecting beneath rippling water. "For too long have I, Vianis, been imprisoned within the ocean kingdom. Itharos is my only freedom!"

"You are not truly free if you are borrowing another's life as yours," I pointed out as I tried not to panic. Just how the hell did one kill a giant serpent from another dimension? When 'Vianis's' navy blue eyes squinted at me, I kept trying to keep his attention on me. "In all honesty, you chose the wrong body to possess anyway."

Then, I witnessed a rather disturbing scene. I had studied about demons and other such beings that possessed other creatures in various ways. The serpent's preferred orifice of possession was Itharos's nostrils. I watched, disturbed, as the serpent's tongue wriggled up the unconscious man's nose as the rest of its body morphed into a ribbon-like form and zoomed into the nostrils with as much speed as an extended measuring tape sliding into its case after releasing its lock.

My only comfort was that Makith had witnessed the horrendous event as well from his position next to my mentor on the ground. The oasis nymph's mouth was opened as wide as mine was. But neither of us had time to dwell on the horrendous event, because Itharos's body was, once again, twice the threat that it was before. I don't know why I didn't see that coming. I was merely trying to goad the serpent to follow me out of the mansion into a more open area to attack without Revelin's inheritance coming down over our heads. Apparently, I had no other choice.

Vianis began to play with me, as if he thought that by mere physical strength, he could beat me down. But, I was light on my feet and had plenty of stamina to burn. I, just like Revelin, was still hoping for some kind of back up to waltz right through that door despite the fact that I saw with my own eyes just how occupied everyone else was on the way here. If I was stalling the inevitable, I was going to give it all that I had.

The serpent began to tap into Itharos's Vim and began to throw it at me in different forms. I did my best to dodge and deflect without using my own Vim, as I knew that using too much of it would exhaust me. I was in the process of tossing back some of his attacks when I noticed Revelin stirring out of the corner of my eye. An idea came to mind, so I immediately acted on it. "Now it's my turn, 'Vianis'," I growled as I began a full-on assault on the serpent. The hardest part was not to hurt the Wanderer's body too badly. I made as if to bind him, sending him chain after chain of my Vim. Sure enough, he deflected it right on back, and I allowed the chains to bind me to the ground.

"Heh," Vianis scoffed as he glared down at me. "Made a mistake in choosing this body, have I? I certainly don't think so.”

He stepped on my shoulder and I winced in pain. He formed a spear out of his Vim and aimed it towards my neck, but my line of vision was on someone else. "About damn time," I hissed quietly before snapping the Vim chains off of me and locking them tightly around Itharos's body. "You should have found yourself another dimension to start over instead of borrowing power that isn't yours." I admonished. "Makith!"

The nymph rushed over and used his Vim to expel the serpent back out of Itharos's nostrils just as my mentor came around to trap Vianis's ribbon-like form into a Vim jar and sealing it. For a moment, all three of us gaped at the ribbon-like mass vibrating inside the blue-hued jar of Vim in an effort to escape. Our attention fell on Itharos as he began to groan. Startled, I immediately released the chains…which wasn't my brightest idea, as the man immediately collapsed onto the ground.

"Crap, forgive me, Makith," I apologized as the Idler quickly knelt to heal Itharos. I looked over at Revelin. "I don't think we're quite done just yet." I explained. "Leave these two here, the others could use some help with the ‘shadow’ beings."

Revelin hesitated for a moment before placing the jar next to Makith. "Hold onto that until we return," He suggested before following me out into the hallway.

I retraced my steps back to where I last saw the legions and skidded to a stop when I saw our friends seated on the ground and leaning against the sleeping arctic dragon. Not a single ‘shadow’ being was in sight. "…nevermind." I stated with a slightly hysterical laugh that somehow infected the others, as they all started laughing as well.

"So," Revelin began when the laughter died down. "Who wants to help me fix my family's mansion back to its original state?" Several groans followed that statement.

Copyright © 2015 Thirdly; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..