Jump to content
    Thirdly
  • Author
  • 1,303 Words
  • 4,051 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tuesday Staff Meetings - 3. Sensible and Shameless

“Did you have anything to do with this?” I questioned Kathryn on the way back to my office as I all but shoved the number on my palm in front of her face.

“I neither confirm nor deny that I had anything to do with it...directly.” She replied airily.

I let out a sharp breath of air through my nose. But, once I sat back down at my desk, I stared at the numbers on my palm. Without giving it much thought, I reached for one of my business cards and jotted the number down on the back of it.

:::

What remained of the work day was spent trying to be productive with small tasks. The staff meetings on Tuesdays always took up a chunk of time that could have been spent on bigger projects. After work, I spent a little time at the gym. I staggered my days, and only exercised for the sake of health, not for definition. When I got back to my humble house, I ate a light dinner, tried not to remain under the warm spray of the shower for too long, and tugged on a pair of comfortable pajama shorts before deciding on which series to continue reading.

I had to admit that my parents were the creative sort, the ones that put their own spin on the fairy tales they told us before bedtime. When I turned ten years old, I took to reading at night, allowing my younger siblings the privilege of our parents’ tale spins. I didn’t mind, as I had already memorized the tales by heart.

With the chosen book at hand, I began setting out the clothes for the next day. As I laid out the pants, I was reminded of the card with Liam’s number on it. The other man clearly enjoyed torturing me so much that he wanted to extend that torture for his own amusement. And yet, I was curious.

I drummed my fingers on top of the cover of the book in my hands for a moment before walking over to my bedside table and picking up my cell phone. I saved Liam’s number under the Contact name ‘Irritant’ and paused when I reached the text box.

Irritant 8:30PM

If this is really Liam the Irritant, then you’re taking up my valuable reading time. >

< Seth? Hold on, let me save you under my Contacts.

That was the fastest response I’ve ever received. A part of me is already concerned. What did you save my name as? >

< I was worried you wouldn’t even contact me. As for the Contact name, maybe you’ll see it for yourself one day? ; )

I wouldn’t count on that. >

< So cold. : ( But, you’re not getting rid of me that easily! Tell me, do you wear boxers to bed?

You do know that if either of us dies in a suspicious manner, some poor soul will have to read all of this, don’t you? >

< All the more reason to give them something interesting to read about!

I paused, unsure of how to respond to that. However, Liam quickly sent another message.

< If I solemnly swear not to tell/show another living person any of our conversations, will you appease my curiosity?

…fine. No, I don’t wear boxers to bed. I wear pajama bottoms. >

< Sounds sensible. I prefer not to wear anything at all.

You are a shameless one. >

< Sensible and Shameless are starting to sound like the perfect Contact names for the both of us. If I rename yours ‘Sensible’ would you change mine to ‘Shameless?’

…perhaps. >

< LMAO. I tell ya, if the people at work could only see your sense of humor…

I can only imagine what they think of me, but I don’t really care. >

< Yeah? Well, it’s quite the privilege for me to be one of the few that see glimpses of the real you.

I felt my heart skip a beat. No, absolutely not. I refused to acknowledge such a thing. Liam was surely teasing, as always.

What makes you think that you see glimpses of the real me in the first place? Are you sure you’re not just delusional? >

< Delusional? I might be. But, I want to continue to be, if it gets me any closer to you.

Another pause. I couldn’t even begin to figure out how to respond to that. Luckily, I didn’t have to.

< I really am serious, you know? I always have been. The reason I keep running off on you is not just because I know you’ll attack me if I keep still long enough.

It’s not? >

< No. I’m more worried that I’d end up doing something that’d scare you…that I’d go too far. I mean, you barely even allowed me to write my number down on your hand.

Liam…what do you want from me? Why are you going through all this trouble? >

< I thought it’d be obvious by now. I want you to go out on a date with me…no, more like five dates, at the very least!

Five…are you out of your mind? Five dates? With me? Are you sure about this? >

< Oh, I’m definitely sure. Allow me five dates this month, and if you still don’t want anything to do with me afterward, then I’ll respect your decision.

My mind began to race. All of it seemed too good to be true, too ideal. I would finally be rid of the irritant that was Liam? The teasing and aggravation would finally stop?

Do you really mean it? You would leave me alone if it’s what I ask of you after five dates? >

< I swear it. I’ll respect your decision if you give me this chance.

…alright, then. What day do you have in mind for the first date? >

< I must be dreaming. You’re off Fridays too, right? How about starting with lunch this Friday? 12:30PM?

Sounds reasonable. Where? >

< There’s a restaurant/lounge called Longitudes that’s about 10 minutes away from our work building. They serve a delicious grilled portabella burger.

That portabella burger’s amazing. I went there with Kathryn and my old boss once. Never took you for a veggie burger kind of guy. >

< I’m not. But, I’ve seen you eat them during our lunch break.

Tch. Didn’t realize you were that much of a stalker. Should I regret my decision? >

< Are you going back on your word already? You promised me five dates.

*sigh* I did, didn’t I? Guess we’ll have to wait and see how they turn out. >

< Whew. You had me going there for a second. Hard to tell when you’re playing or not, which is all the more reason I want to get to know you better.

Be careful what you wish for. Is it really 9 PM already? My bedtime book awaits, as does sleep. So, good night.

< It certainly is a good night now! See you tomorrow at work. : )

I closed out of the message and set my alarm before setting the phone back down on my bedside table. I opened the book on my lap and refused to acknowledge the butterflies in my stomach. But, after five minutes of trying to concentrate on the same paragraph, I let out a sigh and set the bookmark back in place. After putting the book away, I laid down and grabbed my phone, unlocking it so that I could read the messages once again. As an afterthought, I went back into my contacts and changed ‘Irritant’ to ‘Shameless’ before setting the phone back down, turning off the lamp, and going to sleep.

Copyright © 2017 Thirdly; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 33
  • Love 4
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

 Liam seems like a decent guy... Just a little bit of a jokester. Their doesn't seem to be any malice in his office stalking! 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
43 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

I liked your way of doing text messages, they were easy to follow. Seth really is a spiky guy who keeps everyone away. Liam must be completely smitten if he hasn't given up by now. He doesn't get much encouragement, but he was happy about the date deal. We'll have to see if Seth will change his mind about Liam.

I couldn't be more relieved and happy that the texts flowed well enough to follow. I was worried about that. Liam has just seen from a distance what being in Seth's 'inner circle' of people can be like and he liked what he saw. He's also a bit tenacious and was brought up to never give up on anything. Can't wait to see him break through Seth's prickly, spiky guard. :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
20 minutes ago, BlindAmbition said:

 Liam seems like a decent guy... Just a little bit of a jokester. Their doesn't seem to be any malice in his office stalking! 

Indeed, indeed. The question is: why is Seth so defensive? 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Seth is sooo smitten! But he isn't going to make it easy on Liam. Or himself. But he's beginning to crack just a little. His life is turning into a fairy tale all on its own, and I hope Liam doesn't turn out to be an evil wizzard who uses his five dates to cast a spell on Seth. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 4/20/2017 at 3:44 PM, Puppilull said:

Seth is sooo smitten! But he isn't going to make it easy on Liam. Or himself. But he's beginning to crack just a little. His life is turning into a fairy tale all on its own, and I hope Liam doesn't turn out to be an evil wizzard who uses his five dates to cast a spell on Seth. 

 

"He isn't going to make it easy on Liam or himself." - Absolutely! I promised RamblingRobin that poor Seth was not going to get his way throughout most of the story (gotta let him win sometimes, though).  

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 4/26/2017 at 5:03 PM, Thirdly said:

I promised RamblingRobin that poor Seth was not going to get his way throughout most of the story (gotta let him win sometimes, though).  

 

I would have thought the above would apply even more to Liam. He's having a hard time convincing Seth he's interested in dating him.

(if you did the @Rambling Robin trick, she might see this conversation.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

 

I would have thought the above would apply even more to Liam. He's having a hard time convincing Seth he's interested in dating him.

(if you did the @Rambling Robin trick, she might see this conversation.

 

:o @Rambling Robin Does this work only on comments? It doesn't work on author's notes right? And she still sees the conversations because I keep sending them to her, ha ha.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Thirdly said:

 

Does this work only on comments? It doesn't work on author's notes right? And she still sees the conversations because I keep sending them to her, ha ha.

 

It works everywhere you do it. ;) 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Just now, Timothy M. said:

 

It works everywhere you do it. ;) 

 

You have just doomed everyone that I've come into contact with on GA. I'm going to be tagging EVERYONE now. *evil chuckling*

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..