Jump to content
    Thorn Wilde
    • Author
  • 763 Words
  • 576 Views
  • 6 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

In My Head - 1. Morning

Content warning: bodies are gross

I wake up too early. Actually, I’ve overslept, but it feels too early. I have to leave for my appointment in less than an hour. I drag myself out of bed and into the shower. The hot water feels nice, wakes me up. When I get out of the shower I feel sick, though. I often feel sick when I’m anxious. I take an antiemetic with my meds, then go to brush my teeth, but it doesn’t have time to take effect. The pills taste bitter going down. Even worse coming up. I shiver over the toilet bowl for a few minutes, waves of nausea washing over me; dry heaving, mostly. But the meds are gone. I can’t be bothered with taking them again. It’ll be fine. Should have waited with taking them, knew this might happen, but I’ll be okay. Always am, in the end.

I get up and flush, brush my teeth again, go get dressed. Panties, packer (my detachable silicon dick), boxers on top. Chest binder, t-shirt, open button-down over it. That’s become my style, I guess. Usually, the shirt is flannel. Today it’s light grey-blue cotton. I like it. It’s of an almost fancy brand. I wish I had nicer jeans. Nicer jacket, too. It’s a thin hiking jacket, sturdy, good on chilly days this time of year, but not especially nice looking. Still, it’ll do for now. It’s cold and raining. I put on combat boots.

Ready to go, I tell the cat goodbye and walk to the metro. Still feel sick. I try listening to System of a Down, but it’s a bit too violent and I’m a bit too anxious, so I switch to my favourite post-rock playlist, etherial and airy electric guitars filling my ears. Mogwai, Sigur Rós, Explosions in the Sky.

It’s early, people are on their way places, and the train is late. The platform is filling up. The train car is crowded. I stand still, jaw set against what still feels like nausea. Though in truth it’s hard to tell if I feel sick or hungry. Maybe both. I think, this would be worse without the binder and the packer; they’re like a security blanket, somehow. Things that tell me that this is me, that make my body a comfortable place to be.

I change from the metro to a bus at Helsfyr, get off near Hasle and walk for ten minutes. Threads by This Will Destroy You comes on, and I think maybe this is the song I was listening to when I edited chapter sixteen of Fleeting Eternity the first time around. I’m not sure, but it gives me the same feelings.

I’m going to a sort of job centre thing. The government outsources this stuff, so it’s a private business. I don’t really know what I’m going to, but the lady who meets me is kind and friendly and understanding when I tell her how anxious I am. Asks if I want a cup of tea. I don’t.

And so we talk for half an hour. What are my needs? I guess to find out if I can work, and how much. What specific challenges do I face? I’m bipolar. I don’t know when an episode might hit. If I get depressed, I can’t do anything. If I get hypomanic, I can do loads, but it’s hard to focus it where it’s needed. My longest hypomanic episode was a little over three weeks. I wrote a whole book. My longest depression lasted nearly half a year.

What would I like to do? Well, I have experience with sound. Project based work is ideal, but an internship might be a place to start. They can swing that, she says. We agree to start this process in August. After the Øya festival. And then I leave.

I feel better now, calm. And I’m hungry. Paul just got off work, so we meet in town. I need new swim trunks. Find a pair that’s blue. They have pockets. I’ve never had swimwear with pockets before and for some reason I get really excited about it. Pockets! On swimwear! What? Is this a thing? I buy them. Pretty sure they’ll fit. I wonder what I’ll keep in the pockets? My first set of men’s swimwear . . . My binder is swimsuit-like material, quick drying. I can go swimming. Can go to the beach. This makes me smile.

We go have a bite to eat and a cup of tea. It’s nice, normal. It’s a nice, normal day, and I’m okay.

Thank you for reading the ramblings of my brainspace.
Copyright © 2019 Thorn Wilde; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 2
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Bodies are gross.

But trunks with pockets are nice.  Welcome to the world of men's swimwear.

I'm glad you're feeling better, Thorn.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
11 minutes ago, Wayne Gray said:

Bodies are gross.

But trunks with pockets are nice.  Welcome to the world of men's swimwear.

I'm glad you're feeling better, Thorn.

Thank you! ❤️ 

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I enjoyed your ramblings, even though I felt bad about your anxiety. Yours is a world I know little about, but at the end of the day we're all just people. We have good and bad days, and deal with insecurities. If rambling helps you make sense of life or reflect, keep on rambling. I will be around to read it. Thanks. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, JeffreyL said:

I enjoyed your ramblings, even though I felt bad about your anxiety. Yours is a world I know little about, but at the end of the day we're all just people. We have good and bad days, and deal with insecurities. If rambling helps you make sense of life or reflect, keep on rambling. I will be around to read it. Thanks. 

Thanks, Jeffrey. I always appreciate your comments. Yeah, I think some experiences are universal, even if they affect us to differing degrees and we react differently to them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Thank you for allowing us to see a slice of your life.  It was very generous of you to share.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
20 hours ago, spyke said:

Thank you for allowing us to see a slice of your life.  It was very generous of you to share.

It’s kind of you to read it. Thank you.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..